Type keyword(s) to search

Getting to Genoa You All Over Again: Y&R Daily Chat

• Start Topic

Thanks for the recap, Snaporaz.  You really cleared the cobwebs in my head about this storyline.  For the life of me, I couldn't remember what was going on with Jack.  One thing that never changes is Ashley getting holier than thou with Jack when she would do worse than him in a heartbeat and not break a sweat.

It's great seeing Colleen but that's immediately followed by the thought of all the possibilities Show lost by killing her off.  Same thoughts about what was lost by killing Dru.

I loved KsJ, but good Lord, Neil was pompous at the best of times.

• Love 10

Of course Carmen Mesta was a scheming, conniving slapper, but having the entire Winters' clan come at you after Dru went off her pins, attacking her ... These people are idiots, and Carmen had good reason to be concerned about their behavior and intentions.

Dru, Lily and Darvon do their street-wise schtick when it's convenient to the Plot Plot Plot, but never realized they were being played by Carmen to forward her agenda? Okay. Neil turns out to be the dimmest bulb in the box though.

His feelz were dented because Dru wanted a career, so that leaves the very married and ultra-superior Neil Winters open to being seduced by Carmen. It was Newman corporate policy to fire Dru for the attack (Carmen should have been put on leave), and Neil had pledged fealty to all things Newman years ago. So why go begging to Victoria to work out a way for Dru to hang on to her job, knowing there was video evidence Dru was entirely in the wrong? There's a criminal case pending against Dru and still not in control of herself, so let's bring Dru back to Newman in some limited capacity? Neil sounded like a neophyte who knew nothing about corporate codes of conduct, not a Director of Whatever at Newman. Cringe-worthy coming from upright, uptight Neil Winters.

• Love 6

At what point did soaps become more enlightened about alcoholism? It was hard to watch Jack treating Nikki so cruelly in his flashbacks. Especially given his own later troubles with addiction.

Meh, I should think the last thing people returning from their honeymoon would want to do is spend their first night back home entertaining their family members. What was Jill up to?

Miguel said he and the nurse took young Nick to a movie. Was Miguel dating the nurse? Why did Nick have a live-in nurse anyway?

Odd to me for Ashley to insist upon looking out for her husband's ex-wife. Maybe it was because Nikki was also her SIL, and Ashley was stepmother to Nikki's kids but even then, meh. Since when was Ashley such a thoughtful goody-two-shoes?

Oh Traci, when you've got a smoke show husband like Brad, you don't leave him alone by the pool for long, tall bimbos to move on him. Interesting that Brad wasn't wearing a wedding ring, and didn't mention to said bimbo that he was on his honeymoon until his wife showed up.

Hate so say it but I wouldn't have expected Nathan to have much success snooping around in Switzerland. For reasons. Paul probably should've handled that one himself but he seemed to be determined not to leave town for some reason.

Spring water. Sure, Nikki. 100 proof spring water. 😑

I guess I'm glad PB won his first Emmy for his performance in this storyline but ugh Jack, way to make your spouse's addiction all about yourself.

What's a prenuptial party? Is that like an engagement party, or a party where they sign the prenuptial agreement? Oh wait, maybe it's the rehearsal dinner. Geez, these fancy Abbotts and their fancy names for things. 😉

No shade on Traci but she seems to have had a habit of getting pregnant out of wedlock. Well, at least this time she got Colleen out of the deal.

• Love 8

Meh, I should think the last thing people returning from their honeymoon would want to do is spend their first night back home entertaining their family members. What was Jill up to?

I was wondering the same thing. If I remember anything about my honeymoon, back in the Pleistocene Era, we were utterly exhausted when we got home and just wanted to crawl into the shower and plop our selves down on the couch and veg out.

• LOL 8

This was probably the first of these "classic" episodes that was fairly self-explanatory.  You didn't need a whole lot of back-story to understand what was going on.  I thought I would hate Emmy Week, as I was expecting a lot of hammy scenery chewing.  But I've liked every episode so far.  B&B picked some good ones, too.  MTS does her best, most nuanced work as an alcoholic.  It's interesting seeing younger drunk Nikki and how different she is from relapsed society maven drunk Nikki. 

• Love 6

Interesting episode, and that's saying something for me--don't enjoy these for a pile of reasons.

PB was owning it--yes, he was, by today's attitudes re alcoholism, rough on Nikki. That aside, he's one of the few soap actors who can go heavy without chewing up every piece of furniture on the set. Have to admit [UO#1] I didn't love MTS' performance; in fact, I much prefer her as an actress at this stage.

UO#2: hold on to your garters! I have never found DD attractive, at all. He can do some self-parody as Dollar Bill, the very few times I've seen him as that, but for me he was dead-weight onscreen, and predictable as hell.

I forgive Jerry Douglas anything.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

PB was owning it--yes, he was, by today's attitudes re alcoholism, rough on Nikki. That aside, he's one of the few soap actors who can go heavy without chewing up every piece of furniture on the set.

ICAM. PB was and remains one of the most solid and consistently better performers in soaps.

I have never found DD attractive,

M8VRxoU.gif

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 6/24/2020 at 9:43 PM, Snaporaz said:

You have to love Brad Carlton, Nazi Hunter!  Too bad he's not around today, because they're showing up all over the place.  

I wish the Thighs of Steel would take on the domestic neo-Iron Cross!

15 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

This was probably the first of these "classic" episodes that was fairly self-explanatory.  You didn't need a whole lot of back-story to understand what was going on.  I thought I would hate Emmy Week, as I was expecting a lot of hammy scenery chewing.  But I've liked every episode so far.  B&B picked some good ones, too.  MTS does her best, most nuanced work as an alcoholic.  It's interesting seeing younger drunk Nikki and how different she is from relapsed society maven drunk Nikki. 

Drunky Drinki, young or old, is a thing of beauty and a joy forever. And dig that massive banana clip holding her mane out of her face; those were the days. PB was stellar in his confession to John about Nicki's drinking and his frustration to do anything about her alcoholism.

I was a little confused why Jill was pushing for a family dinner the evening Tracy and Brad returned from their honeymoon -- I was onboard with Jill's brocade cocktail suit as a work outfit; bigger earrings and a bling necklace would have made her Catherine Chancellor -- then Dina was on the horn schmoozing John, and I realized Jill why was DEFCON 3 Round House with John and Jabot. Poor Paul having orders barked at him by suspicious Jill. 

John and Dina's lunch was enlightening. He didn't believe her reasons for returning to Genoa City or her intentions. Just because John was being polite to Dina didn't mean all was forgiven; Jill should have trusted John more often and their marriage might have not been so fraught with tension, recriminations and insecurity.

Why did Ashley feel the entire battling Newman/Abbott clan had to celebrate the holidays together? "A fairy-tale love story, two beautiful children, and it comes down to this? Why? Nikki, why?" Please.

I don't know which fairy-tail love story she was speaking of, but Ashley should back far away from this. You're not a neutral observer in this debacle; Victor cheated on Nicki to carry your emotional baggage, and you were an active participant. The ex-wife isn't interested in playing Happy Families to make you and Victor feel warm and fuzzy taking in the Yuletide farce you've produced. This is going to end in your tears, and another mental breakdown. Victor is going bulldoze his way into Nicki's life/rehabilitation, and you're going to be dropped like a hot rock again. And Jack is tossed aside by Nicki as well. Do you really want that?

Let me guess, you just can't stop yourself from doing Victor's wet work.

Plenty of divorced couples negotiate separate Thanksgiving/Christmas with the kids without having to negotiate the Paris Peace Agreement. Pick a day and time and stop pretending it's all about you. It's the children that suffer. Let them have two big meals and two Christmases. The plan was to spoil the kids rotten. Right? 

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 8

I just looked up next weeks theme.  Ughhhh.  In the interest of not ruining anyone’s weekend I’ll put it in spoiler tags.  Sorry in advance.

Spoiler

Paul and Christine.  😩🦗

• LOL 7

Are viewership ratings still being calculated while these old episodes are rebroadcast? If so, I think it'll be interesting to see how a whole week starring two pretty much supporting characters, played by actors who are both off-contract, fares. Plus, Christine isn't a widely popular character to my knowledge. Hmmm, maybe LB played the Bell family card.

• Love 2

Whoa, I almost didn't recognize SC at first. What was different about her then? Sharon seemed kind of dull to me.

Jack was a true gentleman. He managed to keep looking Grace in the eye despite her having so much boobage on display.

Okay, I didn't realize Cole Howard was so swole. And Miss Ashley was getting all dat. 🙂

Christine was Sharon and Nick's attorney? This must've been before she switched to the other side and started trying to send all the Newmans to prison. 🙄 It was weird that Sharon had to sue for custody of her own child anyway.

Today I remembered the one thing I didn't like about little Cassie: she was so freaking earnest for such a young child. IMO even Judgy McJudgerson Faith hasn't been that bad.

Was that Gina's restaurant? The joint was jumpin'. It took Jack quite a while to notice Diane over there looking like she might be conspiring with his worst enemy.

TMW you try to ask the ex-wife you effed over for a favor. Diane was not impressed. Too bad she later went nutz and ended up with Kyle Not a Newman.

Toddler Noah was blond like his mommy. Cute kid.

Ugh, Neil had to have been Victor's Toady in Chief back then. Where did he get off trying to climb up Jill's a$$? Didn't she outrank him?

Ah, St. Christine of the GC Legal Aid Society. Don't Legal Aid lawyers work for free? You'd think Nick and Sharon could have afforded to hire a shark.

And there's the traitor Ashley we know and love, getting ready to stab Jack in the back and help Victor, AGAIN. 😑

Was Paul's office in the Jabot building? The windows were similar to the ones in the Jabot CEO office.

• Love 3

Today’s show was preempted by the hour and a half press conference on Covid 19. This was the one show I was looking forward to because of Cassie but no. We couldn’t have that, could we? I could have read or heard all of the Covid news on any channel or online all day long.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

Today’s show was preempted by the hour and a half press conference on Covid 19. This was the one show I was looking forward to because of Cassie but no. We couldn’t have that, could we? I could have read or heard all of the Covid news on any channel or online all day long.

Gam2, I sent you a message with a link to a place where you can watch today's episode.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Ugh, Neil had to have been Victor's Toady in Chief back then. Where did he get off trying to climb up Jill's a$$? Didn't she outrank him?

Right?!?  First Neil is Uriah Heeping Victor about that damned company so hard I felt like he'd gone into bobble head territory, and then he's upbraiding Jill like he's Katherine Jr.  Sniffing her glass was the low point of Show today.

Though, when we have yet another episode of Victor droning on about the company he "spent his entire life building", low points were plentiful.  Everybody wants Newman Enterprises and I STILL don't know what the hell it makes/markets/sells other than Victor's ego.

The sap here was flowing freely with Cassie in the courtroom and later, at home.  She got me, good.  I loved Millie and I loved Cassie's scenes with her the most.

I'd forgotten Cole Howard was with Ashley.  For a guy who made the rounds he sure didn't leave a mark.  I liked J. Eddie Peck a lot on All My Children but he was a bit too sour on Y&R for me.

Edited by boes
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6

I had to look up J. Eddie Peck age. I didn’t know if he was old or old-old. LOL!!! He’s only 61. I used to watch him on Dallas before he started doing daytime. He was a good looking guy and did okay on the soaps but he never really broke out on either Y&R or AMC. He was just a dependable actor and good looking without looking like some runway model. I wonder if he would have been bigger if he had acted opposite Eileen Davidson’s Ashley? Maybe, he did?!  I don’t recall. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

I had to look up J. Eddie Peck age. I didn’t know if he was old or old-old. LOL!!! He’s only 61. I used to watch him on Dallas before he started doing daytime. He was a good looking guy and did okay on the soaps but he never really broke out on either Y&R or AMC. He was just a dependable actor and good looking without looking like some runway model. I wonder if he would have been bigger if he had acted opposite Eileen Davidson’s Ashley? Maybe, he did?!  I don’t recall. 

He and Ashley were married.  They were in bed together in this episode.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, boes said:

He and Ashley were married.  They were in bed together in this episode.

So he did act opposite Eileen Davidson. I couldn’t remember that. Thanks.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Okay, I didn't realize Cole Howard was so swole. And Miss Ashley was getting all dat. 🙂

I don't remember this bedroom hair, mango eating, sexy waterfall fantasy, Eileen Davidson Ashley at all!  Get it girl!  

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 6/24/2020 at 3:53 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

I'll never understand what Brad saw in Victoria.

Her fortune? That seems to be the common denominator in all his relationships, except maybe Sharon. 😛

but no, I honestly wished they'd that pairing when HT was still in the role. They have chemistry, but B&B squashed that with Bill's cheating and Katie's shrillness. I feel like late 90's Y&R could have made far better use of that chemistry.

Edited by Anna Yolei
  • Love 5

Her fortune? That seems to be the common denominator in all his relationships, except maybe Sharon.

Wasn't he already wealthy by that point, from his marriage to Cassandra? Whatever, Brad wasn't going to get rich off Victoria, not if Victor had anything to say about it. I don't think any of her husbands walked away with fat settlements, did they? What Brad did do well though was leverage the connections he made through his wives to gain himself bigger and better business ventures.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I am looking forward to some new episodes eventually. I hope the writers and show runners have taken this time to come up with some great stories.

I didn't mean to laugh at you Lucinda, just the idea that TIIC would ever do something as crazy as give us some great stories.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

Alright historians, who is Marilyn?  Need some backstory / end story here please!

Teen Sharon and Nick 🤣.  Grinding at a pool party in your swimsuits, as you do.

Nina actually looked nice (I know I’ve been mean about her appearance and wet blanket personality before).  The lipstick and hairstyle did her good in this instance.  Why is Scott Reeves always so orange???  My friend and I used to call him Dr. Orange when he was on GH.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2

I caught a few minutes of today’s show and wondered who the girl (with the buck teeth) was that Jack said he loved so much. Ashley was with him too. I don’t remember ever seeing her before. That woman who played Ashley was so beautiful!

• Love 2
(edited)

Wow, I think Christine looked so much better with her hair up versus that flat, center-parted style she eventually went with.

Oowee, tarted up Victoria looked like she was about to go on the stroll. The current Victoria could never pull off that look. Imagine Olive Oyl trying to turn tricks, hah, hah.

Hmm, Nikki was a stripper, Victoria did a nude centerfold, and Abby was the Naked Heiress. Is there something in the water at the ranch? Wait until Faith opens an OnlyFans account. Victor will plotz.

If I hadn't been paying attention I would've thought Mari Jo was OG Jill. I think she resembled Brenda Dickson a lot.

Speaking of Sharon's birthday, I didn't realize Christine was supposed to be older than Sharon. Right now they seem about the same age to me.

So was Sharon using Matt Clark to make Nick jealous? Guess it paid off.

Lol, sounded to me like Paul mainly proposed to Christine because she wouldn't have sex with him. What a weird proposal. He basically tried to put a price tag on her cooch.

Brad was a bit of a brown-nose, huh?

Nick giving Miguel dap. I can't. Nothing like a sheltered rich boy trying to act "down" with the paid help. 😒

Whee, Nick looked like a preteen next to Matt. Eddie Cibrian had it going on. 👀

Cole got around with the wealthy heiresses, huh? Victoria, Ashley. Seems to me like Victoria was just a warm up though. Ashley was grown-ass woman while Victoria was still daddy's little rebellious princess.

Victoria: How could I do something so stupid?
Cole: Is that a rhetorical question or do you have a few hours for me to break it down to you?

Christine: Gosh, Paul. This ring is beautiful. Am I really worth three months salary?
Paul: Sure. Don't worry, I've got it on a 90-day return policy. I'm sure you'll give it up before then.
Christine: Give what up?
Paul: <gulp>

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • LOL 8

I recognized Mari Jo and knew she was involved with Jack, but that's all I can remember. I had to look her up. She tried to kill Victor and kidnapped Christine so she wasn't that bad. lol She was institutionalized. She should come back with Patti. Poor Jack attracts crazy women. She was involved in a story with Keemo(Jack's forgotten son) and his mother. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

7 hours ago, geauxaway said:

Alright historians, who is Marilyn?  Need some backstory / end story here please!

Teen Sharon and Nick 🤣.  Grinding at a pool party in your swimsuits, as you do.

Nina actually looked nice (I know I’ve been mean about her appearance and wet blanket personality before).  The lipstick and hairstyle did her good in this instance.  Why is Scott Reeves always so orange???  My friend and I used to call him Dr. Orange when he was on GH.

Into the Wayback Machine!  Marilyn = Mary Jo, Jack's fiancée.  Unbeknownst to everyone, Mary Jo had a history with Ashley's husband Blade.  (I can't remember if they were married or just involved.)  Mary Jo was obsessed with Blade, but he hated her because she had slept with his twin brother Rick.  She was blackmailing Blade because he kind of stood by and watched while Rick drowned (or so he thought!).  This was yet another doppelgänger story, because Blade's twin Rick came back from the dead and showed up in GC, like most people do when they come back from the dead.  And Rick was pissed and out for vengeance!  He and Mary Jo had a fling, and Ashley saw them together and thought it was Blade.  That did no go over very well.  Ashley and Blade went on a vacation to try to work things out, Rick followed and kidnapped Blade and took his place with Ashley.  The funny part was that Ashley got along with Rick so much better and she was pretty bummed when Blade escaped and reclaimed his life.  But I digress..Mary Jo and Jack got engaged, but he dumped her when he found out about her past with Ashley's husband and he reconnected with Luan.  Then she went kookoobananas.  She shot Victor, but her aim was bad.  I can't remember why she shot him, but she tried to make it look like Jill did it.  Years later, when Victor was visiting that mystery woman in the plastic surgery doppelganger clinic, there was a lot of speculation that it was Mary Jo.  Alas, it was Patty.

I always liked scrappy Nina.  The "wrong side of the tracks" characters usually get my heart.  

• Useful 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8

Unless they cut something to make room for the number of commercials there are now as opposed to then, it was odd that we didn't see Ashley again after she matched up the signatures in the early part of the episode.  I was hoping to get a better idea of where they were in the Mari Jo/Blade storyline at this point.  

I've never been a fan of Morrow's Nicholas, so I enjoyed anything Eddie Cibrian's Matt Clarke did to make Nick's like miserable.  

Wow, I totally forgot about Victoria doing the nude pics, and Heather Tom was usually Must-See TV for me.  Although, I wasn't a big fan of Cole Howard, so perhaps I just blocked it out.  

• Love 4
(edited)

What a terrific start to "Paul and Christine" week!  Does this mean that "Watching Paint Dry" theme week has been pushed back, or did they just combine the two?

Such romance there, Paulie, telling Christine that it's put out or he's going to be forced to disappoint his mother Mary again by being forced into the sin of self-gratification.  After all, he IS buying her dinner so she owes him.  Which leads me back to his mother Mary and her pot roast......ewwwww, that's not a sidetrack I advise anyone to take.  

Christine should have upped the romance of his proposal by handing him an issue of the Sears catalogue, opened to the underwear section and sent him on his soon-to-be merry way.  I AM starting to get a clearer picture on the deeper meaning of "tightpockets" in Paulie's life.....

Then we had Sharon, the 40 year old non-virgin, supposedly in her senior year and the most dismal pool party since that impromptu one the Titantic threw.  But we did have Board Shorts Nick!, a dick then as now.  I was hoping that other 40 year old senior, the good-looking one who was with Sharon, would have done the right thing and given Nick a wedgie that lodged in his brain.  Oh wait....that's redundant, isn't it?

Not to forget Doris, Sharon's hatchet-jawed prison guard of a mother.  She had all the charm of a grouchy Tonka Truck.  Children would weep and dogs howl when she approached.

Brad's "Golly Gee, Mr. Newman SIR, I just can't wait to get back to work with you because I have some SUUUPER ideas and let's start by glueing Jack Abbott's desk drawers shut, MR. NEWMAN SIR" was pretty embarrassing.  He was such a toady I'd expect anyone who got too close to end up with warts.  I wonder, though, if EB wasn't a bit jealous of Don Diamont......did they ever have a speedo contest?  Let Paulie be the judge, if the Sears catalogue didn't do the job.

Yep, Show's theme week programming just gets better and better.

Who's looking forward to "Chloe" week?  Maybe a week devoted to just the Phyllis episodes where she messes with paternity results?  

What I would like is a week of nothing but Drinki episodes, the bigger the bottle, the better.

Edited by boes
Speeling
  • LOL 12
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, boes said:

What a terrific start to "Paul and Christine" week!  Does this mean that "Watching Paint Dry" theme week has been pushed back, or did they just combine the two?

Such romance there, Paulie, telling Christine that it's put out or he's going to be forced to dissapoint his mother Mary again by being forced into the sin of self-gratification.  After all, he IS buying her dinner so she owes him.  Which leads me back to his mother Mary and her pot roast......ewwwww, that's not a sidetrack I advise anyone to take.  

Christine should have upped the romance of his proposal by handing him an issue of the Sears catalogue, opened to the underwear section an sent him on his soon-to-be merry way.  I AM starting to get a clearer picture on the deeper meaning of "tightpockets" in Paulie's life.....

Then we had Sharon, the 40 year old non-virgin, supposedly in her senior year and the most dismal pool party since that impromptu one the Titantic threw.  But we did have Board Shorts Nick!, a dick then as now.  I was hoping that other 40 year old senior, the good-looking one who was with Sharon, had done the right thing and given Nick a wedgie that lodged in his brain.  Oh wait....that's redundant, isn't it?

Not to forget Doris, Sharon's hatchet-jawed prison guard of a mother.  She had all the charm of a grouchy Tonka Truck.  Children would weep and dogs howl when she approached.

Brad's "Golly Gee, Mr. Newman SIR, I just can't wait to get back to work with you because I have some SUUUPER ideas and let's start by glueing Jack Abbott's desk drawers shut, MR. NEWMAN SIR" was pretty embarrassing.  He was such a toady I'd expect anyone who got too close to end up with warts.  I wonder, though, if EB wasn't a bit jealous of Don Diamont......did they ever have a speedo contest?  Let Paulie be the judge, if the Sears catalogue didn't do the job.

Yep, Show's theme week programming just gets better and better.

Who's looking forward to "Chloe" week?  Maybe a week devoted to just the Phyllis episodes where she messes with paternity results?  

What I would like is a week of nothing but Drinki episodes, the bigger the bottle, the better.

Gold, boes!

Condolences on actually sitting through two blondes negating each other--for me, those scenes are the fabled "four arrows of FF." Although I don't mind tormenting myself with Mary, even without a mention of her sauerkraut--wasn't she sour enough?

And crap, Sharon was actually worse than she is currently! More blank and self-deceiving than I thought possible. And gate-jawed Doris! Mind you, as I did with Mary Williams, I occasionally just tease my repulsion-feelers by spending a few seconds with her...

I only slow down for Jack and John, Katherine, Dina, and once in a while Jill. Other Ashleys distress me. Speedo Brad? You know how I feel about that.

• LOL 8

What, did Jill almost cross over to B&B or was this before B&B existed? That would've been amazing! She was so gorgeous.

Man, Nikki was hardcore against Sharon. Hard. Core.

Jack and John acted like Billy was Jill's only child. Where was Phillip III?

Oh snap, Victor told snooty Nikki about her own golddigging self. She pretty much deflected the criticism though.

I didn't realize Olivia was one of Christine's galpals. I guess the connection was via Nathan and Paul's professional relationship.

Luan. Wow, I thought it was verboten to mention that part of Jack's past. Allegedly PB hates it.

It's amazing to me how the show was able to put together a big group of women for Christine's wedding shower and none of them were extras. Nowadays YR would have a hard time pulling that off unless some of the attendees only showed up out of spite.

WTAF, Doris? Victor is nobody's saint. Shut your stupid mouth with that nonsense. Just wait a couple of decades until he treats Sharon like a prostitute after she's already been with both of his sons.

Lol, Nina was kinda sassy: "You look fat, Dru. You pregnant?"

And then party pooper Mary Williams showed up. They should've given her the wrong location for the party, hah, hah.

Oh Jill. John and Jack played you like a fiddle. You always let greed get the best of you. (And I guess the reason her attorney was AWOL is because they didn't want two Johns in the scene. It might've broken some obscure law of physics, tee hee.)

Only Mary would bring a toaster to a lingerie shower. That dour old bat. It's a wonder she didn't bring a pot of her famous sauerkraut and spareribs too.

I also didn't realize Victor encouraged Nick to pursue Sharon. It's hard to imagine now.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

It's amazing to me how the show was able to put together a big group of women for Christine's wedding shower and none of them were extras. Nowadays YR would have a hard time pulling that off unless some of the attendees only showed up out of spite.

Loved the bridal shower!  Light hearted and really felt like a gathering of friends.  Nina and Dru little exchange about gifting Christine with edible panties was a hoot! 

4 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Luan. Wow, I thought it was verboten to mention that part of Jack's past. Allegedly PB hates it.

Ok, I'm out of the loop.  Spill the tea on this verboten mention.  Allegedly.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
(edited)

1 hour ago, MissAlmond said:

Loved the bridal shower!  Light hearted and really felt like a gathering of friends.  Nina and Dru little exchange about gifting Christine with edible panties was a hoot! 

Proverbs Wife Mary Williams showing up at Cricket's lingerie party was hilarious. Garter belts, thin blue lips and a four slice toaster. 

It was interesting to be reminded about Nicki's grudge against Sharon, and the machinations she and Victor went through to hinder or help Sharon/Nick's early romance.

John and Jack doing their victory dance after scamming Jill into signing a new employment contract was more entertaining than anything going on between Cricket and Paul.

I heard a segment of viewers didn't like the mixed race SL, and TIIC retreated as quickly as possible by killing off Luan and sending Keemo (Jack's son) packing, never to be spoken of again. I don't know anything substantive PB may have said about the SL .

12 hours ago, pearlite said:

And crap, Sharon was actually worse than she is currently! More blank and self-deceiving than I thought possible. And gate-jawed Doris! Mind you, as I did with Mary Williams, I occasionally just tease my repulsion-feelers by spending a few seconds with her...

SC started out getting by on looks alone, and that hasn't changed.

Doris creeped me out; grim and tough as cat meat was that woman.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 8

The bts story I've read is that he didn't like the idea that Jack had left a child and his mother back in Vietnam and had returned to GC to live it up as a wealthy playboy. He felt it was a retcon that made Jack look callous and lowkey racist even though the show had tried to write the couple as star-crossed lovers doomed by forces beyond their control. Also, Keemo is actually Jack's first son and he not only would be approaching 50, he likely has kids of his own. That's a reminder that Jack should be a grandfather by now. But no, there's been radio silence for years on that whole part of Jack's history and the writers treat Kyle like he's the golden child.

Luan's appearance today was interesting to me because the average viewer probably didn't know who she was or her momentary significance.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

Back in early 2019, Jack made a vague reference to Keemo. Per the transcript at TVMegasite of the January 29, 2019 episode:

Kerry: Sorry about the interruption, but, as i mentioned, these injections have to happen on a very strict schedule.

Jack: Kerry --

Kerry: I can already tell you're not gonna like what i have to say. This does not have to be a big deal for us, jack.

Jack: I hear you minimizing this, but I see the effort and expense you're going through to harvest and freeze your eggs, all the thought that must have gone into that, and I have to assume that it's pretty important for you to be a mother someday.

Kerry: There you go. Assuming again.

Jack: Am I wrong?

Kerry: If I said yes, would you believe me?

Jack: Look, this is your life, your decision. I respect that. But you and I are in a very different place. My kids are grown. Seems like we have different goals.

Kerry: No. Not necessarily. Definitely not in the short-term.

Jack: As much as I hate saying this... maybe you're with the wrong guy.

He said "kids are" not "kid is." Jack had to have meant Keemo unless Kyle has another sibling running around that we don't know about yet. I remember posters here being surprised by that comment but I can't go back and reference any of them since most of the older Daily Chat stuff got zapped a few months ago.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Phyllis drives a Ford Taurus 🤣🤣🤣.  No offense to anyone that has owned or currently owns one, it’s just funny to me.  I’d say the same thing if it was an Impala or Camry.  Just so basic for her.  

Again, growing up in SE WI.....where are all these skyscrapers???  MKE had like 1 tall legit skyscraper forever (the First Wisconsin Bank building), and then a handful of medium tall buildings.  I think there is a new building that is now the tallest building in the state, but it was not there in 1994 that is for damn sure.   “Downtown” Madison does not and has never had ANY tall buildings (nothing is higher than the Capitol building).

Lastly, Lauren’s hair.  Da fuq???  It was like Rachel in the front and party in the back.  A Rachullett, if you will?

• LOL 10
1 hour ago, geauxaway said:

Phyllis drives a Ford Taurus

IIRC, it was a rental. 😏

That scene of Paul and Christine get mowed down was pretty dramatic! And it is bizarre that Phyllis even did that, but then later she was so smug about it.

• Love 8
18 minutes ago, bannana said:

That scene of Paul and Christine get mowed down was pretty dramatic! And it is bizarre that Phyllis even did that, but then later she was so smug about it.

We were talking earlier about slow burning stories.  That secret was held for over a decade before everyone else knew it was her, right? 

Malcolm looked so young today.

17 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

I heard a segment of viewers didn't like the mixed race SL, and TIIC retreated as quickly as possible by killing off Luan and sending Keemo (Jack's son) packing, never to be spoken of again.

A similar audience reaction to a potential interracial romance ended up putting the kibosh on Angie and Peter's character on AMC just before he jumped to Y&R. 

It's a shame. I don't know how others felt because I wasn't  a devoted Y&R viewer and certainly didn't pay attention to the fandom online back then but I remember really liking Luan and Jack.  It was nice to see her in the past two episodes even if, unfortunately, they didn't share scenes together.

So Nick was a creeper, huh?  Staring at Sharon and her mother through the window? 

I'm really confused by the choice of Paul and Christine as a theme week.  I didn't really remember them being some big couple; although they've lasted quite a while for a meh couple.  I also found it strange to start with their proposal.  Wouldn't they have scenes of when they're first dating?  First attracted to one another?  Nope, we're jumping right to the proposal, bachelorette party and pre-wedding that didn't happen.

On the other hand, the advantage to that is the fact that, unlike previous weeks of flashbacks, the first three episodes this week were all originally aired within a few months of one another so there's some consistency in the other stories too.  And it's amazing how many characters we see per ep, even if it's just for a scene or two.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9

I remember Paul & Christine getting hit by the car. I remember years later the Bug bringing it up to Phyllis. What I don’t recall is how it was revealed and was Michelle Stafford playing the part? Thanks.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I remember Paul & Christine getting hit by the car. I remember years later the Bug bringing it up to Phyllis. What I don’t recall is how it was revealed and was Michelle Stafford playing the part? Thanks.

It was Michelle but I don't recall how they found out. I do know she rented a car from a place a couple towns over.

• Love 4

Luan again. Hmm, so has PB gotten over it? Pssht, I won't believe it until they show Keemo too. 😐

Ryan looked to me like he was wearing mascara, lol. There was a lot going on with his look today. I thought he kind of resembled Jason Statham except not bald and minus 40 lbs.

How did Brad not know about the big Christine & Paul wedding? Wouldn't it have been announced in the GC Chronicle society pages? I would think that's where Brad scoped out potential rich wives. 😏

Eh, rich guys giving their less wealthy lovers wardrobes that the woman didn't select herself. I've never liked that and don't consider it romantic. Presumptuous much, Jackie?

There was a lot going on with Lauren's look too. Wonder how much of that was TB's natural hair?

Mack daddy Brad was putting the moves hard on Lauren. Funny that he didn't manage to marry her too. She certainly fit his preferred financial profile. 🙂

Goodness, even back then Christine wore jackets whose sleeves were too long. Are her arms unusually short or is she trying to hide something on her hands?

Mai was cute.

Wait, what? I didn't recall Vivica A. Fox ever being on Y&R. Wow, she looked like a kid.

Poor Lynne, carrying a torch for Paul and having to help plan his wedding to another woman.

I loved Kay's earrings. She had the best jewelry.

So was that the Jabot building or the Newman tower?

Now this was an episode that needed more context I think. The average younger viewer might not know why Dru--pregnant with Lily--seriously did not want to party with Malcolm. Or why some lunatic was lying in wait to aim their car at Christine right before her wedding.

• Love 8
18 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

didn't like the idea that Jack had left a child and his mother back in Vietnam and had returned to GC to live it up as a wealthy playboy. He felt it was a retcon that made Jack look callous and lowkey racist even though the show had tried to write the couple as star-crossed lovers doomed by forces beyond their control.

But there was a lot of emotions with Vietnam, and although nobody should be abandoned, it happened in real life. There was a similar storyline on As the World Turns. 

1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Wouldn't it have been announced in the GC Chronicle society pages?

I don't know if they were society. Mary Williams would've wanted a  long wedding writeup in the paper like they used to do. The bride wore lace from blah, blah, and satin from blah, blah, and she carried tea roses. Or at least an engagement announcement. 

I don't remember Vivica A Fox either. Google said she was on there in 1994. 

3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

We were talking earlier about slow burning stories.  That secret was held for over a decade before everyone else knew it was her, right? 

Yes, it wasn't that long ago. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Eh, rich guys giving their less wealthy lovers wardrobes that the woman didn't select herself. I've never liked that and don't consider it romantic. Presumptuous much, Jackie?

Yeah, that's kind of a red flag. Much like Kyle's over involvement with his and Lola's wedding.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, geauxaway said:

Phyllis drives a Ford Taurus 🤣🤣🤣.  No offense to anyone that has owned or currently owns one, it’s just funny to me.  I’d say the same thing if it was an Impala or Camry.  Just so basic for her.  

Again, growing up in SE WI.....where are all these skyscrapers???  MKE had like 1 tall legit skyscraper forever (the First Wisconsin Bank building), and then a handful of medium tall buildings.  I think there is a new building that is now the tallest building in the state, but it was not there in 1994 that is for damn sure.   “Downtown” Madison does not and has never had ANY tall buildings (nothing is higher than the Capitol building).

Lastly, Lauren’s hair.  Da fuq???  It was like Rachel in the front and party in the back.  A Rachullett, if you will?

I used to work in Paul's building!  Actually, I had two jobs in that building.  And my bus stop was a few blocks down the street from where Phyllis mowed down Paul and Cricket.  I'm not sure why, but Y&R used to do a lot of location shooting in Pittsburgh back then.  They even had taxis and buses plastered with Fenmore's ads driving around town.  I remember being thoroughly confused the first time I saw the ads, thinking real life was being infiltrated by my TV viewing.  It's always strange when your different worlds collide.

I think Phyllis was being investigated by Paul for something unrelated about ten years ago or so, and he found a credit card statement with a charge for a rental car from the night of the hit and run.  It was when they brought Dr.Tim back, and Phyllis killed him by waving her magical coronary-inducing cooter in his face.

Stephanie must have left her bifocals at home, because one does not think twice when someone that looks like Malcolm asks you out.  And the scene with Katherine and Danny was kind of sweet.  I'm surprised that I've liked every episode of Paul and Cricket Week so far.   

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 7
16 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

I used to work in Paul's building!  Actually, I had two jobs in that building.  And my bus stop was a few blocks down the street from where Phyllis mowed down Paul and Cricket.  I'm not sure why, but Y&R used to do a lot of location shooting in Pittsburgh back then.  They even had taxis and buses plastered with Fenmore's ads driving around town.  I remember being thoroughly confused the first time I saw the ads, thinking real life was being infiltrated by my TV viewing.  It's always strange when your different worlds collide.

🤯🤯🤯.  That’s an awesome story!  How crazy!  

I do often wonder how / why they chose Wisconsin for the setting for YnR.  I would love some behind the scenes info on that.  I remember the first time I learned that GC is in WI.  I was like really?  How?  Why?  

• LOL 2
  • Love 3