Type keyword(s) to search

Getting to Genoa You All Over Again: Y&R Daily Chat

• Start Topic

(edited)

Wow, this is really bad stuff. I thought throwbacks would be fun but...uh...nope. WTF is up with those really bad 'scars' on this dude's face today? It's ridiculous. 'KILLER', seriously?!?

Edited by gingerella
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

OMG, Brad looked so hot as Zorro. But in what world were Ashley and Brad meeting for drinks at night while she was married to Victor? Also, Scheherazade? I would've guess Jeannie from I Dream of fame.

Victor calling Jack after bedtime nicely asking for a favor. Whaaaat?

John looked so handsome as George Washington.

Yeesh, Traci was kind of old to be looking at a shotgun wedding. Meanwhile, did I hear correctly when John said this baby would be his first grandchild? What about Keemo? (Yeah, retcons are a scourge upon the earth. 😑)

Dayum, Jack had a killer bod back in the day. And chest hair was still allowed, hah, hah. 😻

Was that the Diane who eventually gave birth to Kyle? If so, I didn't realize the character went that far back. If not, the writers haven't been very imaginative with character names. (Meanwhile, did John Silva and John Abbott ever have scenes together, lol?)

Roman conqueror. Pssht, I think Attila the Hun would've been more apt but his barbaric pillager look probably doesn't make for a sexy costume.

M.f.-ing Victor, cluck clucking about the baby whose main purpose in her future short life apparently was to die so he could have her heart. Ugh.

Christine and Danny just stood there looking at David Kimble get eaten by a trash compactor. Why would they watch that? 😨😨😨😨

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
23 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

OMG, Brad looked so hot as Zorro. But in what world were Ashley and Brad meeting for drinks at night while she was married to Victor? Also, Scheherazade? I would've guess Jeannie from I Dream of fame.

Victor calling Jack after bedtime nicely asking for a favor. Whaaaat?

John looked so handsome as George Washington.

Yeesh, Traci was kind of old to be looking at a shotgun wedding. Meanwhile, did I hear correctly when John said this baby would be his first grandchild? What about Keemo? (Yeah, retcons are a scourge upon the earth. 😑)

Dayum, Jack had a killer bod back in the day. And chest hair was still allowed, hah, hah. 😻

Was that the Diane who eventually gave birth to Kyle? If so, I didn't realize the character went that far back. If not, the writers haven't been very imaginative with character names. (Meanwhile, did John Silva and John Abbott ever have scenes together, lol?)

Roman conqueror. Pssht, I think Attila the Hun would've been more apt but his barbaric pillager look probably doesn't make for a sexy costume.

M.f.-ing Victor, cluck clucking about the baby whose main purpose in her future short life apparently was to die so he could have her heart. Ugh.

Christine and Danny just stood there looking at David Kimble get eaten by a trash compactor. Why would they watch that? 😨😨😨😨

$Bill would kick Brad’s ass six ways from Sunday. 

Jack looked mighty fine but I wanted to tell him to put a shirt on in front of his stepdaughter. #prude

Today’s Diane was Diane Westin, David’s former lover before he chucked her for heiress/widow Nina. Diane Jenkins was on for quite a while, with at least 3 actresses in the role. She’s whom Terry Lester’s Jack cheated with when he was married to Patty. That led to Patty’s first breakdown and she shot him. 

John DID look great as GW. I’ve always felt one of show’s biggest mistakes was killing off John. 

Danny and Cockroach had to watch so we could compare their bad acting to that of Mama Webster. I’m surprised Nina’s apartment had any furniture left. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
(edited)

I have to say I love it when Show keeps its storyline so ... compact. They really put the ol' squeeze on David Kimble.  Nothing like taking out the trash.

It's always great when storylines end up all neat and tidy and wrapped up in a bow.   

Too crass?  

Were they paying the actor playing Florence Webster by the screech?  She must have made a million bucks in just that one episode.   

It just had me thinking of Diana Ross and the Supremes singing "Back In My Arms Again".

And Flo, she don't know
'Cause the boy she loves is a Romeo

giphy.gif

I bet it did, I bet it did.....

You can say - or scream - that again, Flo.  I didn't remember that Nina's mother was Chock full o'Nuts.

Edited by boes
  • LOL 11
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Was that the Diane who eventually gave birth to Kyle? If so, I didn't realize the character went that far back.

She went back to the 80s, which was why her last incarnation being played by Maura West (who in spite of her expertize in scheming types was at least 15 years too young for the part) was a real head scratcher, to say the least.

5 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

John DID look great as GW. I’ve always felt one of show’s biggest mistakes was killing off John. 

You can say that again. If nothing else, I wish he were around to take Buttbiscuit across his knee and spank some sense into him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Maura West

Yeah, that was a puzzling casting on several fronts. And based on bts whisperings the Y&R clique closed ranks against her fairly quickly. I guess there's some debate whether the stank attitude was coming from her or from them. Whatever, that scene of Victor throwing Diane of out a moving ambulance was one of the worst examples of domestic violence I've ever seen on a soap, at least involving a legacy character. Then the way they killed Diane off with half the town assaulting her was bizarre too because by that point the gossip was out about the backstage troubles and it seemed kind of meta to me.

I didn't remember that Nina's mother was Chock full o'Nuts.

Funny, I thought she seemed cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs. 🙄

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

Yeah, that was a puzzling casting on several fronts. And based on bts whisperings the Y&R clique closed ranks against her fairly quickly. I guess there's some debate whether the stank attitude was coming from her or from them. Whatever, that scene of Victor throwing Diane of out a moving ambulance was one of the worst examples of domestic violence I've ever seen on a soap, at least involving a legacy character. Then the way they killed Diane off with half the town assaulting her was bizarre too because by that point the gossip was out about the backstage troubles and it seemed kind of meta to me.

Oh wow, really? I remember when she came on she was featured a LOT. But, I knew Diane was somewhat of a legacy character (even if I wasn't super familiar) and I knew Maura West had just come off of the cancelled As The World Turns and was a major player over there. Was that the beef? That she was getting too much attention and screen-time? Or was it a money thing?

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, gingerella said:

Wow, this is really bad stuff. I thought throwbacks would be fun but...uh...nope. WTF is up with those really bad 'scars' on this dude's face today? It's ridiculous. 'KILLER', seriously?!?

Ha. I guess it played better as a developing story where the crazy reveals were nice moments of gasp. When David took off his makeup and revealed what the plastic surgeon had done to him, that was great stuff.  As was the clever decision to do a death by trash compactor.  And that's why I wonder if maybe a week of David Kimble's greatest hits would be more fun to watch than random one offs.

I will say one thing for this choice of episode, there have been some strange choices made about which episodes to air.  They have been plenty that felt random and in the middle of a story rather than during the culmination of something.  This episode, at least, was the culmination of the David Kimble story. Plus, I enjoyed seeing all the costumes.  I remember shipping Brad and Ashley back in the day.  Jack Abbot was looking fine.  Victoria was so gorgeous (that hair!) 

And oy, the melodrama with Traci spotting and laying in bed. 

At the same time, I find it strange that David's last moments were with Diane and the person he tortured the most, Nina, wasn't around for that last confrontation or even to witness death by trash compactor.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, JasonCC said:

Oh wow, really? I remember when she came on she was featured a LOT. But, I knew Diane was somewhat of a legacy character (even if I wasn't super familiar) and I knew Maura West had just come off of the cancelled As The World Turns and was a major player over there. Was that the beef? That she was getting too much attention and screen-time? Or was it a money thing?

That's what I thought it was.  She was a "name" actress with multiple Emmy wins.  Diane was indeed an existing character, but now suddenly she was at the forefront  of every story, simply because now she was being played by The Great Maura West.  I'd be miffed too if I was a long term player on the show.  It's kind of what happened with Heather Tom on B&B... Katie Logan was never a major character until she came along, suddenly Katie became a Lead Actress role.  However, I don't know if she had the same animosity that Maura experienced, I would imagine not.

I am a few days behind.  Just saw the lion episode and I was cackling.  And then after that,  Lily hit Neil with the car!  The whole thing was ridiculous back then and it was just as ridiculous seeing it again.  Kind of sad to see the Winters all together, knowing that Neil dies, Dru falls off a cliff, Malcolm disappeared for years.  Meanwhile, we are still stuck with Duhvon.

I do think it's so odd for them just to air random episodes, even if they supposedly fit a theme.  They should at least air a week's worth at a time.  Or have some kind of voiceover at the beginning and end of each block of episodes.  "This is what has been happening" at the beginning and then "this is what happened" at the end.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
21 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

Not even Eva Longoria hamming it up could save today’s episode. Cockroach is such a snooze fest. 

Oh, is this the bathtub episode?  I vividly remember strongly rooting for Dizzy Izzy.  I don't think I've rooted so hard for the "villain" ever before.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
(edited)

For what it's worth, I much preferred Susan Walters ("Mulva???") as Diane Jenkins than Maura West.  I liked when she and her husband Linden Ashby were both on the show at the same time.  Linden played such a creepy Cameron Kirsten.  The episodes with him appearing as a "ghost" and gaslighting Sharon were great.  I remember Cameron, Nick and Sharon jumping/falling out of an airplane but I believe Cameron is still alive.  Would be great if he came back one day, along with an alive Susan Walters Diane.

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, blackwing said:

For what it's worth, I much preferred Susan Walters ("Mulva???") as Diane Jenkins than Maura West.  I liked when she and her husband Linden Ashby were both on the show at the same time.  Linden played such a creepy Cameron Kirsten.  The episodes with him appearing as a "ghost" and gaslighting Sharon were great.  I remember Cameron, Nick and Sharon jumping/falling out of an airplane but I believe Cameron is still alive.  Would be great if he came back one day, along with an alive Susan Walters Diane.

Yeah Cameron is in prison. They should totally bring him back. Maybe have him seduce Mariah somehow as revenge. Anything other than Nick and Sharon jumping from partner to partner every 2 years.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Ha. I guess it played better as a developing story where the crazy reveals were nice moments of gasp.

Back then, there was no internet and no spoilers so what happened on the show was surprising. Y and R could do big cliffhangers. 

Plus back then, soaps didn't have much competition. Nowadays, there are so many good shows to watch it's easier for soaps to get ignored. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, babyhouseman said:

Back then, there was no internet and no spoilers so what happened on the show was surprising. Y and R could do big cliffhangers. 

Plus back then, soaps didn't have much competition. Nowadays, there are so many good shows to watch it's easier for soaps to get ignored. 

Cliffhangers did use to be so much more interesting without the internet, weren't they?  I think one of the most iconic shock TV moments for people of my vintage is the "SHE RIPPED OFF HER WIG" jawdropper on "Melrose Place".  Can you imagine that moment today?  There would probably be some juicy hints days in advance, a leaked photo, an interview with Marcia Cross talking about big things to come, that guy from TV Guide ruining it, etc.  Or what about Bobby Ewing in the shower?

David Kimble was before my time, I do think the makeup etc looks cheesy now but I can imagine how shocking it must have been back in the day.

• Love 8

David's scars were also supposed to be a sort of poetic justice.  Cricket was always suspicious of his intentions toward Nina (and little Philip), and she made no secret about it.  At one point, he threatened to cut up her face if she didn't back off.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

Not even Eva Longoria hamming it up could save today’s episode. Cockroach is such a snooze fest. 

I was only partially paying attention, as I had 2 work calls to attend to during the show today and had to mute for a bit.  But I swear every time I looked at my TV, all I saw happening was Cricket in a bathtub.  BORING.  I doubt it was any more exciting with sound.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Real life jumped in my face so I didn't get past the opening credits yesterday. Good grief, all that lingering on Christine in the bubble bath. Was that supposed to be enticing? All I could think was, "Isabella, you should've brought a bigger knife."

• LOL 5
6 hours ago, geauxaway said:

I was only partially paying attention, as I had 2 work calls to attend to during the show today and had to mute for a bit.  But I swear every time I looked at my TV, all I saw happening was Cricket in a bathtub.  BORING.  I doubt it was any more exciting with sound.

55 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Real life jumped in my face so I didn't get past the opening credits yesterday. Good grief, all that lingering on Christine in the bubble bath. Was that supposed to be enticing? All I could think was, "Isabella, you should've brought a bigger knife."

giphy.gif

Isabella, IS THAT YOU???

I ff'd through this episode like it was a documentary on ButtBiscuit's "Clean Living Through Nasal Lavage" daily nose regimen.

I did enjoy Paulie Tightpockets casually referencing Isabella's parents when he dumped off Lil' Ricky for them to raise.  Real father of the year, there, Paulie!

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, boes said:

giphy.gif

Isabella, IS THAT YOU???

I ff'd through this episode like it was a documentary on ButtBiscuit's "Clean Living Through Nasal Lavage" daily nose regimen.

I did enjoy Paulie Tightpockets casually referencing Isabella's parents when he dumped off Lil' Ricky for them to raise.  Real father of the year, there, Paulie!

LMAO!!!!  Kinda makes you wonder how pruney LLB got during filming.   🤣

• LOL 6

The last cliffhanger this show had of any substance, that actually made me stand up and go "Shut up!" is when Kevin was revealed as Michael's brother. They kept that well under wraps and it worked incredibly well.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

Both the scroll at the bottom of the screen and my DVR said this episode aired in 1993. That can't be right, can it?  2003 sounds more like it.  All this jumbling around and basically not having any sense of what day it is may be starting to make me a bit time-confuzzed.  I could have sworn Heather Tom was gone by the time Damon Porter was on.  I remember them chem-testing him with just about every woman on the show, and I thought AH was one of them.  I hope they show the episode when Phyllis disguised herself as a man and got herself arrested so she could share a jail cell with the guy who killed Damon's wife and/or child.  How she got past the strip search is still an unsolved mystery.  As much as I like Bobby Marsino, I could go the rest of my life without ever seeing stupid Brittany again.  I'd forgotten that Lauren kind of unwittingly ratted out Michael to Nick for the commercial bribery.  But the memory of Brad's unfortunate haircut came rushing back to me.  I know Victor was somehow involved with Ashley losing Robert.  She wasn't supposed to be driving, but she drove to go see Victor for some reason, and there was an accident.  Or something?  Does anyone remember the details?  Did Cassie say that kid with her was Adam?  Adam Adam or some other Adam?  If it was Adam Newman, then just a few years later he would be a Harvard grad and banging Sharon.  Ohhhh, too many time warps...

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 5/15/2020 at 6:20 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

I'd forgotten about Abby and Tyler and Mariah. Hot guy but I don't think he could act to save his life. Abby sure has had a fascinating string of boyfriends.

I remember Tyler.  Leslie Michaelson's brother.  But I'm vague on the whole backstory with Mariah.  He came to town, Abby was getting stalked by "Mariah", his ex-girlfriend.  I could have sworn that we saw a shot of her hand opening Abby's door, or something like that.  And the hand clearly belonged to a black woman.  Then later on, it was revealed that "Mariah" is the same Mariah that is still on the show?  Sharon's daughter, who is clearly white?  I remember talking about it at the time but I can't remember if the show ever came up with an explanation for the hand, or if they just ignored it and pretended like it never happened.

Wasn't this around the same time that Hilary Curtis showed up?  Was there some talk that Mariah was Hilary, or am I just badly misremembering.

It's strange how much I remember of past characters/shows and how little I remember of others.  I saw Professor Korbel at the bar and instantly shouted out "COWBELL".  And then Colleen in the background.  The Adrianne Leon Colleen, I liked her, and it was cruel of the show to fire her because they said she was fat.  They replaced her with that really awful Australian actress that everyone called Suresucks.

On 5/16/2020 at 6:38 PM, enchantingmonkey said:

Eric Braeden is really good at that barking/yelling thing he does when Victor is furious.  It used to always give me chills.  Smashing the picture of Jack and Brad was unsettling but breaking the pencil in half afterwards was laughable.  

Isn't barking all he does?  I always laughed when he goes into his screaming rants, it's almost like a cartoon.

• LOL 3
  • Love 9

Finally catching up on the episodes. From Tuesday:

Looking back, that Brttany and Bobby thing seems so sketchy to me. The age difference, the borderline objectification and exploitation of women inherent in the stripping business, and the organized crime references related to Bobby's last name. Yeesh.

Oh boy, Raul. The character whose name they couldn't agree on a pronunciation for. Some called him "Rah-ool," some pronounced it to rhyme with "pall," and Brittany called him "Rowl." The variations always annoyed me. I think people should've said it the way Raul did because it was his freaking name.

Wow, Eva Longoria was gorgeous. Not that she's fug now but she almost seemed too beautiful for Y&R. Guess that's why she moved on to bigger and better things.

Maybe Raul needed to consult with Victor on how to watch the woman you love work the pole while a roomful of drunk men catcall her.

Christine: You hate me that much?
Isabella: Bish please, I'm like a superfan compared to those internet people. They
really hate you. RAID!
Christine: Raid? What, is Paul here? Did he bring the police to save me?
Isabella: Ayi, you are such a stupid Bug.

That must've been industrial strength bubblebath for those bubbles to have stayed intact for so long. The continuity people were having the audience on, hah, hah.

When I'm reading a novel I call what Isabella did in this episode an exposition dump. I usually think it's a sign of lazy writing. But somehow the MWTs made it work it despite the extended focus on candlelit Christine.

Wasn't this around the same time that Hilary Curtis showed up?  Was there some talk that Mariah was Hilary, or am I just badly misremembering.

The mysterious hand belonged to Christel Khalil (Lily). Some fans recognized her wrist tattoo. I chose to give it a pass because I don't think at that point they had settled on the stalker being the character who became Mariah. They may have been planning for Tyler's ex to be a light-skinned Black woman totally unrelated to Sharon (or the Winters for that matter).

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

First thing first, I had the same pink velour track suit that Lauren was sporting today.  I think I got it from Target (I was too poor for Juicy back then lol).

As I commented in the Canada thread, I miss Daniel!  Bring him back!   He is legacy, he is handsome, and he was a “good guy.”  AND he’s the only one who can seriously put Phyllis in check (sometimes Jack can, but it’s been a bit since they were associated with each other).

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
19 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

First thing first, I had the same pink velour track suit that Lauren was sporting today.  I think I got it from Target (I was too poor for Juicy back then lol).

As I commented in the Canada thread, I miss Daniel!  Bring him back!   He is legacy, he is handsome, and he was a “good guy.”  AND he’s the only one who can seriously put Phyllis in check (sometimes Jack can, but it’s been a bit since they were associated with each other).

God, could Phyllis have been more of a bitch to Daniel today? Way to make your kid feel totally unwelcome. 

• Love 7
Just now, peacheslatour said:

God, could Phyllis have been more of a bitch to Daniel today? Way to make your kid feel totally unwelcome. 

IKR?!  And he was a GOOD KID.  I mean even with all that Daisy bullshit, he was still a decent guy.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I really do hate these theme drop in episodes.  Pick a freaking date and run the shows consecutively.  What happened to mermaid, I mean, Cricket?  Who saved her life?  What happened to Isabella?  

Victoria as a platinum blonde?  Not a good look.  AH as the present Victoria is so much more pretty with a few pounds on her body.  Don Diamont sure hasn’t aged.  Either great genes or the best plastic surgeons in all of LA.  Nick is still an oily bohunk

• Love 7
(edited)

Still catching up. Re Wednesday's US episode:

It's a wonder to me they were ever able to redeem Kevin. It'd be one thing if attempted murder, arson, and statuatory rape were his only crimes but he built a long rap sheet.

I'd forgotten the cold shoulder look was also thing in 2003. And wow, Sharon was unusually thin then, wasn't she?

Ah, the infamous gala. Now I know TPTB are effing with me. 🙄 Tuesday's show had Raul, whose name was pronounced multiple ways by various characters. Used to annoy me. But then yesterday they come with the gala. The event which was called the "gal-lah," the "gah-lah," or the "gay-lah." OMG, why couldn't the director just pick one standard pronunciation and make the cast use it? Whhhyyy?!!!???

Blanket Baby! Aw, what a sweetie. 😊

Yikes, Phyllis' push-up bra boobs entered the room a couple of minutes before the rest of her did. Sigh, I used to love her and Jack together.

Wait, Michael and Victoria dated? WHAAAATTTT?

Wait, was that blonde boy "Adam" with Cassie at the party Hope's Adam? WHAAAATTTT?

Wait, was Lauren dating Raul? Show, are you TRYING to explode my brain?

Lol, I think in a Who Wore It Better? challenge Dru would win hands down. That kind of dress needs a curvy body and Phyllis was sorely lacking IMO.

Who would tell a kid to "wake up and smell the coffee"? Oh yeah, oblivious Neil.

So what was Victoria's deal with Damon Porter? I didn't recall their ever being a thing. And I wonder whatever happened to Keith Hamilton Cobb? He was quite a hot piece back in the day.

Now that was the Diane I liked.

Oy, NE and Jabot competing to corner the cosmetics for women of color market. In retrospect it seems like bandwagonning to me.

Yeah, Daniel was a good guy. But bringing him back would remind everyone how old Grandma Phyllis really is. 😼

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10

I was going to say something positive about Sheila and wish they'd bring her back for another reign of terror. But...then I remembered why I no longer like the actress who portrayed her. Nm. Maybe a recast.

Private jet. Was that Brad or $Bill, lol?

Okay, it's AH Victoria and she was living in the tack house. Guess this was before she was with Billy and they got the Father Knows Best house?

Mac was screwing JT in Kay's home. Hmmm. This version of Mac seemed way less frowny though. Guess getting some Hellstrom vitamin D on the regular helped her mood. 🙂

An airplane with louvered blinds on the windows. Never seen that before. Seems to me that would mess up the aerodynamics or something. 🤔

Yeesh, I don't get this look Nick was sporting with the facial hair. He looked to me like a wannabe hot dad meme before the hot dad meme was a thing. Absent the hot. 😑

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

From cbs.com:

Storylines for Y&R’s “The Abbotts Week” episodes are as follows:

Monday, June 1
Family and friends gather to witness the nuptials of Traci (Beth Maitland) and Brad (The Bold and the Beautiful’s Don Diamont) while Katherine (Jeanne Cooper) and Dina (Adams) plot against Jill (Walton), and Nikki (Melody Thomas Scott) struggles with her drinking. The episode originally aired January 11, 1991.

Tuesday, June 2
Jack (Bergman) smells success as John Abbott (Douglas) regains control of Jabot, and Victor (Eric Braeden) and Ashley (Davidson) make amends. The episode originally aired Sept. 17, 1999.

Wednesday, June 3
Jack (Bergman) proposes to Phyllis (Michelle Stafford) and tensions rise between Traci (Maitland) and Ashley (Davidson). The episode originally aired Sept. 10, 2001.

Thursday, June 4
As the family mourns the loss of John Abbott, Kevin (Greg Rikaart) and Michael (Christian Le Blanc) help Gloria (Judith Chapman) fight for her place among the Abbotts. The episode originally aired Aug. 24, 2006.

Friday, June 5
Dina reminds the Abbotts of the true meaning of Christmas, Kyle (Mealor) and Lola (Sasha Calle) celebrate their first Christmas as a married couple, and Billy (Thompson) keeps a secret from his family. The episode originally aired Dec. 24, 2019.

• Love 6

I think they should air the first two weeks. They were a half hour then so we could see two episodes a day. It would never happen but one can dream. I am not exactly sure when I started watching Y&R but it was when JLB was all the rage playing Lorie Brooks. I didn’t really see John McCook play Lance. I was more familiar with his replacement, Dennis Cole. They didn’t look anything alike but he did look more like the guy who played his brother,  Lucas. He was played by Tom Ligon. He was really good looking and had an awesome beard. It’s funny what things you remember. I’m thinking....maybe......around 1978-1979. It was before they went to an hour. That I do remember whenever that was. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

With decades of Abbott-centric episodes to choose from, why would they choose to waste one of the five days on an episode that JUST AIRED five months ago?  I thought the whole point of these theme weeks is about nostalgia.  I don't think anyone is that nostalgic about "back in the day when Hair Gel Kyle and Lola were still together".  What about more Jill?  Jill may not be a blood Abbott but she was an Abbott for years.  How about an episode that focused on Jill and Billy Miller Billy?  

I'm glad there is a Gloria episode.  I hated her back in the day, but now I find myself missing her.  And the last thing we need is an episode focusing on Phyllis.  So many Jack episodes they could have aired, and they have to involve Phyllis.  Ugh.

Just caught up on airings and saw the bathtub episode.  Oh how I wish The Bug had stayed underwater.  That ending was such a tease.  If they were going to air voiceovers explaining what was going to happen in the episodes to come since they are airing out of order, I wish they could have said "The Bug didn't die, but we know many of you wanted her to".

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
(edited)

How many Macs were there?!?

This was the first time I saw her, and she looks like she's pushing 40. Maybe the haircut?

I only knew of Kelly Kruger and Cybil Shepherd's daughter.

Edited by JasonCC
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, JasonCC said:

How many Macs were there?!?

This was the first time I saw her, and she looks like she's pushing 40. Maybe the haircut.

I think there were 4?

• Love 3

Yes, there were 4 Macs.  Ashley Bashioum, Kelly Kruger, the one whose name escapes me but I think the boards called her "Big Mac", and then Clementine Ford.

Is Big Mac the one that suffered the infamous commercial break miscarriage?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Yeah, Daniel was a good guy. But bringing him back would remind everyone how old Grandma Phyllis really is. 😼

How old are they pretending she is supposed to be on the show nowadays?  She's easily 60.  But I feel like the show has been trying to pass her off as no older than "early 40s" for the past 15 years.  Even though she has a 30 year old (at least) son.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, blackwing said:

How old are they pretending she is supposed to be on the show nowadays?  She's easily 60.  But I feel like the show has been trying to pass her off as no older than "early 40s" for the past 15 years.  Even though she has a 30 year old (at least) son.

She's fifty four. She looks fantastic for a person her age. Too bad it's all wasted on such a no talent hack.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Hmm, I never noticed before that helicopter pilots sit on the right side, instead of the left like airplane pilots. 🤔

Another flipping doppelgänger. At this point it's probably  quicker to count the members of the cast who haven't played amazing lookalikes. So ridiculous.

Wait, TWO doppelgängers? Yeesh, MAB just wanted the audience to go fcuk themselves, huh?

Whee, Jack said what many thought about this era of Y&R: "You put a monkey in front of a typewriter, what he comes up with will make more sense." Preach!

Amber playing the put-upon heroine? Yeah, no.

Honestly, the next time Jack or Phyllis are in a relationship where something seems off about their partner but they can't quite put their finger on the problem, the first thing they should think is it's probably a doppelgänger. They both have beat the astronomical odds on having that experience. Marco, Patty/Emily, and then their pal Lauren with that nutbag Sarah. Something must be in the GC water.

What was up with that wee tiny gun Daisy had and then Kevin grabbed? I almost laughed at it. Sarah wasn't messing around with her gun though.

What were they doing in a closed amusement park anyway? Seems like people being able to run around in there unsupervised would be a huge liability for the property owner.

Yeah, a secret code! That's the ticket! Every couple should have an emergency code they can use to identify each other in case of a doppelgänger invasion. 😒

Aw, Mrs. Kitty looked like my Cassidy. Plus probably ten pounds or so. 😺

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

Well, Armageddon is finally here.  First it was COVID, then Kylie Jenner had the honor of being the first female billionaire pulled out from under her by Forbes magazine because she and momager Kris falsified everything about Kylie Kosmetics, and finally, a well respected journalist in our area has now written an editorial on Young and Restless.  He said that he had gotten into the show because of the lockdown and the fact that his wife has been a fan forever, but now with these drop in episodes, he just doesn’t get it.  He says, you have Isabella drowning  Cricket, but you don’t know how it turned out because CBS put on a different episode the next day.  He asked his wife if Cricket died and she said “Probably not because she’s on the show now”. Then they showed the yacht being blown up, so did Lauren survive?  If so, how?  Again, his wife said she did live because she’s still on.  He just didn’t get the whole trash compactor thing. He, like many of us, said why don’t they just pick a date and start showing episodes consecutively?  

His best comment was reserved for Victor.  He writes “Instead, the most interesting thing about the show is Victor’s unworldly accent, which has no known origin.  Why the hell does he talk like that?” 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 15
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 5/29/2020 at 6:14 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Another flipping doppelgänger. At this point it's probably  quicker to count the members of the cast who haven't played amazing lookalikes. So ridiculous.

I can't laugh at Y&R for this.  Prime time shows have done the same thing for years.  

I'm happy with random theme episodes although I question why they chose weaker ones.  IMO for the villains theme, an episode from when Shelia kidnapped Lauren's baby would have been stronger than Shelia stalking Lauren on her honeymoon.   But, as I said, I'm no longer a regular viewer so me watching due to sheltering in place doesn't mean as much as those of you who are.  

Anyway, my random opinions while walking down memory lane:

ITA Victor and Nikki are dysfunctional but Eric Braeden and Melody Thomas Scott play off each other well therefore I understand why Y&R keeps them together.

Eileen Davidson's Ashley, OTOH, for me is a much better when she's far, far, away from Victor as a love interest. If I wrote for the show, I never would have gone down that path.  

Heather Tom's Victoria seemed the rightful heir to Victor's empire.  That second Victoria? Not so much. 

Putting Dru and Neil, as well as Lauren and Michael, and Kay and Rex together was great thinking.  

Seeing Cricket/Christine constantly pop up in so many episodes and plotlines, I totally get why during Lauralee Bell's early years at Y&R, other actors became annoyed.  

I wish all soaps long ago stopped the ridiculous practice whereupon almost every character is related in multiple ways.  Wife, co-parent, sister-in-law, step-mother, step-sister, step-child, cousin, and aunt!  It always drove me crazy, sort of makes my stomach turn, and frankly another reason why I gave soaps up.  

I still covet Michael Damian's hair.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Useful 6
  • Love 6
(edited)
21 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

His best comment was reserved for Victor.  He writes “Instead, the most interesting thing about the show is Victor’s unworldly accent, which has no known origin.  Why the hell does he talk like that?” 

Hah.  Was there an ability to comment on his article?  You should write "BECAUSEHEISVICTORNEWMAN andnobodytellsVICTORNEWMANwhattodo especiallynotJAGABBOTT.  YOUGOTTHAT?!"

Edited by blackwing
  • LOL 11
Just now, blackwing said:

Hah.  Was there an ability to comment on his article?  You should write "BECAUSEHEISVICTORNEWMAN andnobodytellsVICTORNEWMANwhattodo especiallynotJAGABBOTT.  YOUGOTTHAT?!"

Youhaveaniceday.

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

I wish all soaps long ago stopped the ridiculous practice whereupon almost every character is related in multiple ways.  Wife, co-parent, sister-in-law, step-mother, step-sister, step-child, cousin, and aunt!  It always drove me crazy, sort of makes my stomach turn, and frankly another reason why I gave soaps up.  

Not only related, but practicing near incestuous relationships.  So much inter-marrying becomes nauseating.  B&B is especially caught up in this. Haven’t the Logan girls married all the Forrester boys at one time or another?  

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

Not only related, but practicing near incestuous relationships.  So much inter-marrying becomes nauseating.  B&B is especially caught up in this. Haven’t the Logan girls married all the Forrester boys at one time or another?  

I think the worst  (or best, I guess) example of this is Shictor. That was beyond disgusting.

• Love 5