Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Collaboration

• Start Topic

In teams of two, the designers must blend their individual aesthetics into a 3-look collection for a runway show on the banks of the River Seine; one designer struggles to overcome a teammate's mistake, while another pair of designers butt heads.

Airdate 2020.04.03

Who thought it was poetic justice that the designer with the agist comment last week (Sander) was paired with the oldest designer (Sabato)?  I'm glad they worked together well, overcoming some challenges along the way.  Sander is obviously a more hands-on designer and had to do the heavy lifting.  

Spoiler

Their designs were stunning, so I'm glad they won!

• Love 5
(edited)

I'm sorry, but I can't bear to look at Josh.  Not only because of his hideous neck tattoos (I dislike tattoos in general, but these have no artistic or design merit and draw attention to his long scrawny neck}, but he looks very ill.  Drugs?

Edited by Brookside

As we saw in the previous episode when Heidi was wearing a Moulin Rouge costume, she still has a rocking body - so why was she wearing a shapeless sacklike dress that made her look so frumpy?

When Josh said that he's not good at sewing or pattern making, I thought oh no, is this the next Martha? Then Sander said that Sabato doesn't sew or make patterns either and I thought well, that explains his elegantly draped dresses in the first two challenges.

I have to hand it to Sander though.When Sabato realized he had put both of their garments into one bag for the seamstress, he just buckled down and sewed the rest intead of having a temper tantrum.

Johnny and Megan's black and white collection looked cohesive and interesting. I liked the black and white top and the dress. I liked the structured sleeve ornamentation on the white jacket and the more subtle sleeves on the black leather jacket.

Ji Won & Rinat's collection was less cohesive. The red dress was so casual and loose that it felt like it was bordering on sloppy. Th black jacket looked like a pajama top that was unbuttoned too far. The male model's t-shirt was an interesting runway look but not something I can see most guys buying/wearing.

Will and Esther's was a yawn for me.. I hated the droopy black leather shorts on the first model. I couldn't focus on any of the other pieces she was wearing because eI hated the shorts so much. The male model's look was boring. The dress on the third model was fine but not very interesting. I agreed with Heidi about the three looks being too matchy because of the colors.

Josh and Troy's collaboration was not my favorite. I did not like the white and pink toile jacket with the long blue skirt. Not everything has to look like a matched set, but I really didn't like that pattern and that color together. The fabric aside, the design of the jacket and skirt were boring. Between the leopard print top and the sequin skirt, the second look was too clubby in a mall way. I didn't like the cut of the top. I hated the floral print overalls with the sequin top. All three outfits were ugly on their own and they made no sense as a collection.

Sander and Sabato's collaboration was disappointing. The first look was okay but I was do distracted by the hideous black lines drawn on the model's face. The second look was shapeless and boring. The third look was like a maternity blazer dress grew a cape tail. I can't believe they won this challenge.

Wow, Josh just gave up. What the hell?

• Love 1
(edited)

Can the designers please use a color besides black!!!!!!

I like they’re using different sized models and male models.  How are those prices on Amazon accessible?!?

Edited by Riplet68
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

As we saw in the previous episode when Heidi was wearing a Moulin Rouge costume, she still has a rocking body - so why was she wearing a shapeless sacklike dress that made her look so frumpy?

When Josh said that he's not good at sewing or pattern making, I thought oh no, is this the next Martha? Then Sander said that Sabato doesn't sew or make patterns either and I thought well, that explains his elegantly draped dresses in the first two challenges.

I have to hand it to Sander though.When Sabato realized he had put both of their garments into one bag for the seamstress, he just buckled down and sewed the rest intead of having a temper tantrum.

Johnny and Megan's black and white collection looked cohesive and interesting. I liked the black and white top and the dress. I liked the structured sleeve ornamentation on the white jacket and the more subtle sleeves on the black leather jacket.

Ji Won & Rinat's collection was less cohesive. The red dress was so casual and loose that it felt like it was bordering on sloppy. Th black jacket looked like a pajama top that was unbuttoned too far. The male model's t-shirt was an interesting runway look but not something I can see most guys buying/wearing.

Will and Esther's was a yawn for me.. I hated the droopy black leather shorts on the first model. I couldn't focus on any of the other pieces she was wearing because eI hated the shorts so much. The male model's look was boring. The dress on the third model was fine but not very interesting. I agreed with Heidi about the three looks being too matchy because of the colors.

Josh and Troy's collaboration was not my favorite. I did not like the white and pink toile jacket with the long blue skirt. Not everything has to look like a matched set, but I really didn't like that pattern and that color together. The fabric aside, the design of the jacket and skirt were boring. Between the leopard print top and the sequin skirt, the second look was too clubby in a mall way. I didn't like the cut of the top. I hated the floral print overalls with the sequin top. All three outfits were ugly on their own and they made no sense as a collection.

Sander and Sabato's collaboration was disappointing. The first look was okay but I was do distracted by the hideous black lines drawn on the model's face. The second look was shapeless and boring. The third look was like a maternity blazer dress grew a cape tail. I can't believe they won this challenge.

Wow, Josh just gave up. What the hell?

Heidi has an amazing figure and they managed to make her look shapeless and frumpy. 

I tried to watch this with my 9 year old daughter that loves Project Runway. She was very bored and I changed it to a British pottery competition.

I think it is because this not the high design competition that it pretends to be.

This is a manufacturing competition for Amazon and most of these designers have already “made it” in some way. 
It’s just not as interesting even though some of these people are talented.

• Love 12
6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

While I did like their first and third designs, the second one looked like a dark version of the dress the Bride of Frankenstein wore in the movie. 

I thought it was amusing given how much Tim was saying everyone's collaboration looked like Frankenstein's monster

Stills-bride-of-frankenstein-19762098-1313-1600_1024x1024.jpg

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
(edited)

I’m still not understanding the judging. One couple (the black and red collection) was criticized for being too matchy-matchy and Josh and Troy were criticized for not matching. I’m glad Josh went home, huge neck tattoo’s are so distracting. He seems to be successful in Asia so I didn’t feel so bad for him. 
So. Much. Black. 

Edited by Straycat80
(edited)
6 hours ago, qtpye said:

I tried to watch this with my 9 year old daughter that loves Project Runway. She was very bored and I changed it to a British pottery competition.

Sorry to go off topic, but there's a British Pottery competition?  Where is it being aired & what's it called?  Sounds fun!

What is it these days with all these straps, strings & strands hanging off everything in all kinds of places?  None of them seem to be functional, is it just a "trend" or does it signify something?

I honestly didn't like any of the collections & the individual pieces just had very little spark.  DULL, DULL, DULL!  Too much black, people! (In a very non-racist way, seriously!)

I keep seeing Sabato and then Daniel Esquivel, and then Troy and Stanley Hudson minus his glasses (Both from PR season 11).  Doppelgangers. 

Edited by leighdear
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
32 minutes ago, leighdear said:

Sorry to go off topic, but there's a British Pottery competition?  Where is it being aired & what's it called?  Sounds fun!

What is it these days with all these straps, strings & strands hanging off everything in all kinds of places?  None of them seem to be functional, is it just a "trend" or does it signify something?

I honestly didn't like any of the collections & the individual pieces just had very little spark.  DULL, DULL, DULL!  Too much black, people! (In a very non-racist way, seriously!)

I keep seeing Sabato and then Daniel Esquivel, and then Troy and Stanley Hudson minus his glasses (Both from PR season 11).  Doppelgangers. 

They have three seasons on YouTube.  It is tons of fun. The man actually cried at a beautiful toilet.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 6

https://tomandlorenzo.com/2020/04/pop-style-opinionfest-selfish-celebs-and-stylish-reality-tv/

TLo starts talking about the show at 18.

They will be watching and judging the fashions. They find it a bit too performative. They comment that Heidi is a smart woman who sounds quite dumb in the show.

They make good points like it is silly to tell already established and successful designers that they have to work hard to make it in fashion.

• Love 5

I'm watching this now and all I've got is that Sabato was a very, very handsome model when he was younger!  Oh and Sander needs to chill out.

Part of my issue with this show is that it seems low energy.   The production values are great, the workroom is beautiful and I always appreciate when the designers get along.  I can't put my finger on it, there's no sense of urgency, maybe because everyone is in the design business so there's not that PR constant of "I have to make it NOW",

I'm still happy to see Tim but I hope Heidi's "We're in Paris!!!!" excitement chills out.

• Love 13

I enjoy skipping Heidi and Tim in Paris. Give me less of that and the flipping music blasting all over the place.

Josh quit before he could get canned. There’s no way he was staying.

Sababo needs to put down his phone and work. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I agree; I would have given them the win. 

One other thing about this show, I like that they are using male models (mostly) successfully.

I guess Josh was just over it. 

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, raven said:

Part of my issue with this show is that it seems low energy.   The production values are great, the workroom is beautiful and I always appreciate when the designers get along.  I can't put my finger on it, there's no sense of urgency, maybe because everyone is in the design business so there's not that PR constant of "I have to make it NOW",

I agree. Actually, part way in, about when Tim and Heidi got their caraciture sketches (that they were totally snarking on which...rude!) I realized that the only thing I'd paid any attention to so far was the peeing dog (he was a cutie!) and that I couldn't tell you a damned thing about the challenge I realized it wasn't worth the bandwidth to keep watching. 

It doesn't just lack urgency or excitement, it lacks any sense of life at all. Even the annoying ones panic about having to sew was boring. I know they all have their own lines and all but I would still think a million dollars would elicit a bit more enthusiasm. Maybe the show just picked a bad crop? 

It isn't a lack of personality drama because I felt like Next in Fashion didn't have a lot of that manufactured personality drama and I very much enjoyed it. Those designers seemed happy to be there, excited to show what they can do, enthusiastic about their craft. These ones seem like they don't really want to be there and that makes it a lot less fun to watch.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

It doesn't just lack urgency or excitement, it lacks any sense of life at all. Even the annoying ones panic about having to sew was boring. I know they all have their own lines and all but I would still think a million dollars would elicit a bit more enthusiasm. M

Nobody seems very competitive.  They're confident in what they do and their own visions, which is fine but no one seems worried that someone else will win.  Maybe they're just happy to be on TV getting exposure for their brands.

• Love 13

I bet the designers were glad Martha went home the previous challenge. Imagine having to collaborate with her! But I wonder who the judges would have put her with -- Esther? 

• LOL 5
  • Love 6

I forgot to add that the runway show was in a part of Paris I know very well. The show itself was on the Left Bank/Latin Quarter side of the Seine, and when the models were walking you could see the houses on Ile-St-Louis in the background. I stayed on Ile-St-Louis the summer of 1986 and 1989.

I'm also wondering if the workroom is in the 1st arrondissement in the Les Halles area. They showed a shot of Au Pied du Cochon, then the workroom immediately afterwards.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, leighdear said:

You can discuss it on the forum here (warning: it's a single thread for all three seasons so close your eyes and scroll down to the bottom if you don't want to be spoiled!). It's such a great show.

3 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

when Tim and Heidi got their caraciture sketches (that they were totally snarking on which...rude!)

That annoyed me because it wasn't the artist's fault that the sketches didn't look like them. It was Heidi and Tim's fault for doing a terrible job describing each other. I mean, what do you expect when your description is "blonde with a grat smile" and "brushed back hair and a checked suit"?

• Love 7

12 hours ago, qtpye said:

Heidi has an amazing figure and they managed to make her look shapeless and frumpy. 

I think it is because this not the high design competition that it pretends to be.

This is a manufacturing competition for Amazon and most of these designers have already “made it” in some way. 
It’s just not as interesting even though some of these people are talented.

You said it perfectly. This is a manufacturing competition for Amazon and *not* a design competition. Having a workroom and the odd seamstress element which isn't shown means that the entire first half of the show is boring until they reach the runway. I don't blame the designers for having a lack of urgency as much as I blame the format. Since it is a manufacturing competition I wish they didn't have a workroom and had a different type of setup for the first half. There has to be a way to do it that is interesting.

If anything, I want them to edit the first half down some and give more of the runway/judging because I just can't watch them looking around like they're half crazy trying to figure out how to make a pattern or write notes for a seamstress we won't see. 

• Love 5

I loved the jackets in Johnny and Megan's collection, I would absolutely wear them.

Did Josh just cave under the pressure? I really don't understand why he took himself out.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

You can discuss it on the forum here (warning: it's a single thread for all three seasons so close your eyes and scroll down to the bottom if you don't want to be spoiled!). It's such a great show.

That annoyed me because it wasn't the artist's fault that the sketches didn't look like them. It was Heidi and Tim's fault for doing a terrible job describing each other. I mean, what do you expect when your description is "blonde with a grat smile" and "brushed back hair and a checked suit"?

I'd have to re-watch but I don't think the criticism was only (mainly?) directed to the artist. He was doing it blind based on their descriptions so the pictures fell short because they weren't sufficiently precise. Or maybe I am just being overly charitable. 

7 hours ago, GaT said:

Did Josh just cave under the pressure? I really don't understand why he took himself out.

I think he was offended/p.o.'d about Naomi's comments to him.  She is really overly nasty and blunt to these designers imo.  I realize that this is her realm, and maybe I'm unaware of her vast designing/sewing experience, but being a highly-paid runway walker for X years wouldn't seem like an automatic qualifier for being a nasty design critic.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 16

I understand these designers having low energy and lacking urgency. They are all established designers with their own brands already and some, if not all of them, are making good money. In all but one challenge so far they don’t have to sew their own designs, the seamstress’s do. So you don’t see the time crunch pressure, freak outs, and racing around the workroom like you do on P.R. 

• Love 4

Josh and Troy -- sorry, Josh X Troy -- should not have listened to Tim Gunn's useless advice to take out the white. Tip for designers: Tim will almost always furrow his brow, say that he's "concerned," and then "leave you to it." It means shit.

And I hate this whole "dance for us! Show us your passion! Show us you want this! YOU ARE A BRAND!!!" judging. 

• Love 18
(edited)
14 hours ago, KnotsLanding said:

You said it perfectly. This is a manufacturing competition for Amazon and *not* a design competition. Having a workroom and the odd seamstress element which isn't shown means that the entire first half of the show is boring until they reach the runway. I don't blame the designers for having a lack of urgency as much as I blame the format. Since it is a manufacturing competition I wish they didn't have a workroom and had a different type of setup for the first half. There has to be a way to do it that is interesting.

If anything, I want them to edit the first half down some and give more of the runway/judging because I just can't watch them looking around like they're half crazy trying to figure out how to make a pattern or write notes for a seamstress we won't see. 

Right! They start with a somewhat engaging segment about the design brief, and fabric shopping, and then... well, watching pattern cutting is only a little less interesting than watching paint dry.

I liked Sabato a lot up until this episode, but when he was doing super close-talking with Sander and then got all up in another designer's space with a way too long hug, I kept thinking that he seems like he would have terrible bad breath. But more important, unless he did and it was edited out, or unless he has more sewing chops that we were led to believe, during the judging he should have given Sander credit for the finishing on the garments that the judges praised. 

I thought Jonny and Megan's collection was more interesting and ultimately wearable than Bebe & Papi's.

Prediction: Bebe&Papi may be the ultimate brand winner of this show. 

I thought that Josh made a completely dignified and respectful exit. Whatever his reasons, he wasn't dramatic or rude, just said that this wasn't for him. And he saved Troy. Or I assume so. I haven't watched the end of the cliffhanger yet.

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 9
On 4/3/2020 at 8:23 PM, raven said:

You know, I wonder if the lack of energy is because the sewing takes place "off stage," so to speak, and with people we never see. Some of the most harried scenes on Project Runway involve the designers trying to sew or trying to find the time to sew.

I'm really curious about the seamstresses: Who are these people? Is there anyone who works as seamstress hoping for his or her big break (like a backup singer in a band)? Do the seamstresses like the designer they are placed with?

We also have not gotten a strong sense of the models and what they are like.

Honestly I feel like the most "important" part of the show is the judges -- what do they think, who do they like--and how mean will Naomi be?

• Love 4
20 hours ago, GaT said:

Actually, I don't blame Joshua in this case for his response.  I 100% believe they were going to cut him and they just wanted him to grovel for his spot.  He realized that he was mostly responsible for the fabric choices and wanted his partner to stay.  Usually, when someone quits on PR, I'm really upset with them because somebody else could have had their spot.  But, in this case, I feel he just didn't want to provide them the drama only to be cut right after his appeal.

• Love 11

With Amazon's near unlimited budget, I feel like the scope of the show could be a lot different than upscale Project Runway. The secret seamstresses are really holding it back because many of the designers supposedly can't sew, thus they're waiting on overnight mystery packages to see if what they envision is actually produced. Plus because they appear to have to have some hand in putting these garments together on day one, it inherently limits their design because they don't necessarily have the technical prowess to achieve their intended goals.

Ultimately, Amazon is looking to sell these garments, so it should want to create a talented in-house group of designers. Perhaps each designer should be given like two on-camera sewers or so per challenge in which they have to make a capsule collection. Maybe they can have a week where they do all menswear, plus size, or any other sort of category like resort wear. Also, one week can be dedicated to different fabrics or techniques like leather/pleather and the designers learn how to work with different materials. The show should be a giant infomercial for Amazon fashion and it's held back by a lack of foresight.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
On 4/4/2020 at 9:18 AM, SuprSuprElevated said:

I think he was offended/p.o.'d about Naomi's comments to him.  She is really overly nasty and blunt to these designers imo. 

Their critique made me sad for them. They seem like sweet guys. Heidi and Naomi are turning up the nastiness and I hate seeing nice people demeaned, especially for ratings.

But, in this case, I feel he just didn't want to provide them the drama only to be cut right after his appeal.

And I hate this whole "dance for us! Show us your passion! Show us you want this! YOU ARE A BRAND!!!" judging.

Likewise hate the demeaning "sing desperately for your supper" environment. Like the designers are performing circus monkeys.

I admire that Josh held onto his dignity.

I did love BeBe and Papi's collection. The aubergine was an appealing, elegant way to bring color to black.

• Love 9
(edited)

you could see the houses on Ile-St-Louis in the background

That's the reason I watched (have stayed there, would love to live there). Otherwise, between Heidi and Tim being assholes to the poor artist they conned into appearing in that mess and the utter lack of appeal of the dancing monkey aspect of judgement, I'd be auf.

Show is a disappointment--as noted above, an infomercial for Amazon. I like some of the designers a lot. I don't mind snarky judging, but it's starting to look forced, so not-so-good.

I came and stayed for Paris. We'll have to see what happens in Tokyo. 

All in all, Heidi never fails to annoy, but, Tim, my brow is furrowed and I have concerns about you.

Edited by buttersister
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 4/3/2020 at 8:51 PM, raven said:

I agree; I would have given them the win. 

One other thing about this show, I like that they are using male models (mostly) successfully.

I guess Josh was just over it. 

Same here.

I do not understand the love for the winning look.  While the "accessible" look was beautiful, how is that an actual dress someone wears with all that fabric?  It looked more runway than accessible for me.

I also think that Sabato is very one note. It's all drapey fabric to me.  Luxurious looking sameness.

I do think the most hideous collection was Troy and Josh.  Not even fitted jacket look nice to me; while I love the print of it, it looked so frumpy to me.  I'd rather than a bedspread made of that, not a jacket.

Edited by sasha206
  • Love 2

I agree with too much black. It was hilarious that Sabato brought in that dark brown fabric so that Sander would have some colour in the collection. 

Josh saying people that have lots of tattoos usually fall into two categories, criminals and sensitive people who get them so people will be scared and avoid them.... That effected me. I got him in that moment.  And I think it's exactly why he decided to quit. He's too sensitive for the criticism, especially since it's not exactly constructive.

This show is.... Not great. It's actually sort of boring. But since I'm in quarantine, why the hell not. Next episode!

• Love 13

Maybe quarantine has affected my standards but I kinda like this show.  Most of the complaints up-thread are totally accurate, but whereas this is less 'urgent' than PR, it also has GORGEOUS production value.  It's clear that Amazon absolutely spared no expense here and the runway shows in particular are stunning.  Vicarious vacation since my real vacation was canceled by this damn virus.

I'd be really curious to see what a s2 would look like (if a s2 even gets greenlit!) because I imagine this isn't the smash success they hoped for and they'll want to slash budgets.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
22 minutes ago, ruffy666 said:

Maybe quarantine has affected my standards but I kinda like this show.  Most of the complaints up-thread are totally accurate, but whereas this is less 'urgent' than PR, it also has GORGEOUS production value.  It's clear that Amazon absolutely spared no expense here and the runway shows in particular are stunning.  Vicarious vacation since my real vacation was canceled by this damn virus.

I'd be really curious to see what a s2 would look like (if a s2 even gets greenlit!) because I imagine this isn't the smash success they hoped for and they'll want to slash budgets.

Its bizarre to me because Amazon doesn't really push the crossover aspect of the show.  There are million banner ads on my Amazon homepage....not a one of them is to the making the cut store.  I mean I'm not going to buy anything, but Amazon doesn't know that.  I watch the show, you should at least try to sell me some clothes.  

• Love 6

I'm really curious about the seamstresses: Who are these people? Is there anyone who works as seamstress hoping for his or her big break (like a backup singer in a band)? Do the seamstresses like the designer they are placed with?

Based on what I hear from a family member in Shanghai, most of the seamstresses today at the couture houses in Europe are Chinese.  They are incredibly good and they work cheap.  THAT'S why we don't see them--everybody thinks they are little old French ladies, but they're not.  (That's why MILAN was hit so hard with the virus.  Seamstresses brought it back from China after the holidays.)

And I think it's exactly why he decided to quit. He's too sensitive for the criticism, especially since it's not exactly constructive.

Well, he picked the wrong field then.  Criticism is part of the game.  The only worse profession he could have chosen is football quarterback. 

• Useful 1