Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E19: Blarney

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

I haven't seen the whole episode yet - just the opening scene - but my gosh St Patrick's Day feels like a lifetime ago!!

It felt weird to enter a COVID-free world. I am lucky enough to still be able to go to work (hospitals will never close!), but COVID-19 affects every aspect of my life right now. It felt strange to see a perfectly normal St Patrick's Day.

• Love 9

Lots of eye rolls ( and why didn’t Gibbs or anybody come in from the back door a lot sooner🙄) but I would rather have a Jimmy/Kasie centric episode over Bishop/Torres episode anytime. But if this is renewed , please get new writers... the “ banter” is painful!

• Love 1

Oh this was fun...completely unrealistic but at least it was fun. Loved the running gag of "That's commitment"..Everyone had something to so that worked for me. I think I will watch this one and the one wih Palmer stuck on a ledge back to back.

• Love 6

Working with Dr.Palmer and Eric Beale in the same office with their identical nervous banter would drive me up the wall. Kasie is a keeper. If and when NCIS Mothership packs it in, I hope they transfer her to NCIS:LA -- they need a lively lab tech. As for the episode, meh. 

Seemed like they ticked all the trope boxes.  Hostage situation, pregnant woman, swallowing stuff that has to be cut out later. 

Did they ever explain why there were other cops in the jewelry store? I know the owner was complaining about the diamonds.

• Love 1

The diamond store owner said that he had people picking up the diamonds that were the target of the robbery.  That's the truck that showed up.  The robbers got into a shootout with the extra security who they were not expecting to be there.

6 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I really like Palmer episodes.   My favorite part was when he went from nice to as Kassie put it “that’s you not being polite?”   

She obviously wasn't around that time he pulled a "Palmer."

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Pure escapism from current reality. Kasie and Jimmy are not field agents and they did not act as such. They were scared and brave (Jimmy telling Gibbs was was happening at the start) and used the skills they had to help and survive.

I can't imagine that NCIS office doesn't provide 'how to survive being a hostage until Gibbs can save you' training to everyone, after all the other hostage situations they've been in.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, RobertDeSneero said:

The diamond store owner said that he had people picking up the diamonds that were the target of the robbery.  That's the truck that showed up.  The robbers got into a shootout with the extra security who they were not expecting to be there.

I thought those were the armored car guards, but maybe not.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, BookWitch said:

Seemed like they ticked all the trope boxes.  Hostage situation, pregnant woman, swallowing stuff that has to be cut out later. 

I think it is literally impossible to have a hostage situation that doesn't include a late-trimester pregnant women. It just can't happen.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Obviously this is a polarizing episode.  I come down on the side of loving it.  I do lurves me a Jimmy Palmer-centric episode, and I love him with Kasie.  That's a fun working relationship to see.  I knew when they made such a big deal of Kasie's eyedrops that they would be important to the plot.  I also loved the utter faith in Gibbs that Kasie and Jimmy held onto, including that faith causing them to step up and work the situation from their end, because that's what Gibbs expects from them. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

Obviously this is a polarizing episode.  I come down on the side of loving it.  I do lurves me a Jimmy Palmer-centric episode, and I love him with Kasie.  That's a fun working relationship to see.  I knew when they made such a big deal of Kasie's eyedrops that they would be important to the plot.  I also loved the utter faith in Gibbs that Kasie and Jimmy held onto, including that faith causing them to step up and work the situation from their end, because that's what Gibbs expects from them. 

Getting kidnapped by armed gunman is no excuse for not working a case in GIbbs world.  

(edited)

I tried like hell to watch this whole episode without losing my shit.  I’ve been sitting on my hands and keeping my lips zipped on this subject forever, it seems, but I just can’t stand it anymore..it’s most likely the “quarantine” status at Chez Kicotan talking so I apologize in advance to any Jimmy fans.

could someone PLEASE, for the love of everything holy and my curiosity, explain to me how Brian Dietzen scored the role of Jimmy?  I honestly don’t get it.

I’ve seen dozens of community theater actors, my own dogs and even small children with no theater experience that have better acting abilities than he does.  I’ve looked on the interwebs and can’t find any relatives of his in the business with connections to Hollywood. 

What gives?

Edited by kicotan
Spelling
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, kicotan said:

I tried like hell to watch this whole episode without losing my shit.  I’ve been sitting on my hands and keeping my lips zipped on this subject forever, it seems, but I just can’t stand it anymore..it’s most likely the “quarantine” status at Chez Kicotan talking so I apologize in advance to any Jimmy fans.

could someone PLEASE, for the love of everything holy and my curiosity, explain to me how Brian Dietzen scored the role of Jimmy?  I honestly don’t get it.

I’ve seen dozens of community theater actors, my own dogs and even small children with no theater experience that have better acting abilities than he does.  I’ve looked on the interwebs and can’t find any relatives of his in the business with connections to Hollywood. 

What gives?

On one of the DVDs (I don't remember which season) he said they loved his interaction with David McCallum at his audition.  He also said he forgot to bring his contacts the day he auditioned, and the directors thought he looked more like Ducky Jr. with his glasses and wanted him to keep using them.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, eel21788 said:

I think it is literally impossible to have a hostage situation that doesn't include a late-trimester pregnant women. It just can't happen

I was really surprised they didn't have her go into labor in the diner!

• Love 4
On 3/31/2020 at 9:52 PM, secnarf said:

It felt strange to see a perfectly normal St Patrick's Day.

I had the same thoughts, especially since here, so much had already shut down for St. Patrick's Day.

18 hours ago, lh25 said:

Me too! When the woman said that she wasn't that far along I so expected her to go into early labor due to the stress.

I liked that it were Jimmy and Kasie who were the hostages and not one of the field agents as it gave them some interesting stuff to work with and I loved how they used the two and their scientific background, but the accidential hostage situation also felt like "been there, done that". Although, I guess, if you're in S17 some stories are bound to be repeated.

• Love 3
On 4/2/2020 at 8:20 AM, lh25 said:

The usual story line is that she will fake she is in labor to distract the criminals and assist with the rescue. The actual birth of the baby happens at the end after the danger is over. (I may be watching too much TV).

• Love 1
9 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

Although, I guess, if you're in S17 some stories are bound to be repeated.

Was anyone else thinking about when Jeane had to cut open the guy in the morgue, so his sister could snort coke fresh from his intestines in Angel of Death (season 4 final episode)?

• Love 3
5 hours ago, eel21788 said:

Was anyone else thinking about when Jeane had to cut open the guy in the morgue, so his sister could snort coke fresh from his intestines in Angel of Death (season 4 final episode)?

YES. That was an awful scene, and one that always seems to pop up whenever I decide to watch a rerun - and unfortunately, I can't stand to watch any part of that storyline in the episode.

• Love 3
On 4/1/2020 at 3:49 PM, kicotan said:

What gives?

I think it has something to do with how buff he looks without a shirt.

download.jpg

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Yeah, me too. That was one of most horrific things I've seen on TV.

• Love 3
On 4/3/2020 at 2:34 PM, eel21788 said:

Yes. To this day, one of the most disturbing tv show scenes I've ever seen.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Gizkok said:

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong but I thought it was the sister she had to cut open and the brother snorted the stuff right there and then.

It was the brother who got cut open. The sister's name was Bernie, so maybe that's why you got them backwards.-

• Love 1

When I saw the opening scene, I thought it was a repeat from an earlier season. The ringleader looked just like that crazy guy Tony went undercover  with. I'm not good with seasons and episodes but I'm sure someone else here can help. Only difference was guy in this episode had a deeper voice.

4 hours ago, Sake614 said:

When I saw the opening scene, I thought it was a repeat from an earlier season. The ringleader looked just like that crazy guy Tony went undercover  with. I'm not good with seasons and episodes but I'm sure someone else here can help. Only difference was guy in this episode had a deeper voice.

Are you thinking Frank Whaley in "Chained" from season 2? 

I know I am late to comment, but finally watched this morning.  Two things really took me out of the episode

1.  The opening sequence shows the bad guy with glasses kiling the getaway driver for simply mentioning the plan to his wife.  That guy wouldn't have let the hostages wander around & call the shots.  He would have been in control and calling the shots.  He would have finished off the cook after the shootout.  He wouldn't have cared if the blonde bad guy lived or died.    Very confusing to set him up as a big bad to have him turn out to just be a regular old theif in over his head.

2.  The end of the episode- why was Jimmy sitting around and having a drink with his Kasie, Leon & Gibbs after all this was over?  He had just been held hostage for hours- wouldn't his first thought have been to go to his real family?  Did they even know that he had been held hostage?

As far as Brian and his acting- I think part of that is a deliberate choice.  I think that is how the character of Jimmy is supposed to be.  I actually really love him and his character.

Also, we need a scene with his shirt off- YUMMO!

• Love 1

Out of all the years I’ve watched NCIS that was so far and away the worst episode ever. If I have to watch another episode around that dopey ass Palmer I’ll just stop watching. He is simply the creepiest little dweeb on TV. And then he gets to bark at the killer like the little mouse that roared at the big ‘ol bully. And he gets to sucker punch the killer after someone already neutralized him because wimpy Jimmy is a toughguy now, lol.  God what an absolutely revolting episode.

Gagging over Dopey Jimmy aside, are they serious? The Killer shoots one of the guys in his crew that’s set for a big job the next day for talking to his wife... but does nothing about the wife... and then lets a guy shoot his partner that he obviously cares about and does nothing? WHAT?

Oh, and PS, anyone ever notice every time Dick Wolf gets the chance he portrays a CCW carrying citizen as a complete danger to everyone around him and causing mayhem? What an agenda- driven lying dope.

• Love 1