Type keyword(s) to search

S03.09: Old Friends, New Clues: Group C Championships

• Start Topic

I’m so glad they kicked JoJo/T-Rex off now. I was worried they’d keep her around until the end since she has such a young following. 
I’m not in JoJo’s demographic. From what I’ve seen, she’s this annoying teen girl who continues to act like a pre-teen so that she can sell hair bows and concert venues to young girls. 

• Love 13

I’m so glad T-Rex is gone. 

I thought the others sounded better this week. I’m sticking with the same people. 
Night Angel - Kandi Burruss

Astronaut- Hunter Hayes

Rhino - Barry Zito

Zito wrote a song for the A Thousand Words soundtrack which also included Robin’s “Lost Without U“.

3 minutes ago, Dani said:

I’m so glad T-Rex is gone. 

I thought the others sounded better this week. I’m sticking with the same people. 

Astronaut- Hunter Hayes

Rhino - Barry Zito

Zito wrote a song for the A Thousand Words soundtrack which also included Robin’s “Lost Without U“.

I looked up Barry Zito's college and it was UC Santa Barbara, so that would be in line with going surfing with his friend.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Maverick said:

Is that the reason for that odd bit where the producer had to run up and talk to her when the results we read?   Was she about to throw a hissy fit?   That was so weird.   

I think they were unbolting the head.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Zuleikha said:

I like JoJo Siwa's hairbows, but her success will always be a mystery to me. She can't sing! Why do kids like her? Why????

Have you ever seen one of her videos? Her dancing is really stompy & clunky. That's why I was astounded to learn that she got famous on "Dance Moms", she's actually a trained dancer.

49 minutes ago, Lily H said:

Oh dear. Who the fuck was that child? I thought there were supposed to be "celebrities" under those heads.

Believe it or not, Jojo Siwa is HUGE. She's 16 years old, but her fans are much younger & she's become her own industry, including her own action figure.

https://www.viacbs.com/news/content-and-experiences/how-jojo-siwa-and-nickelodeon-built-an-influencer-industry

I think this show is kind of ruining itself by coming on so soon.  The reveals continue to become more and more of a who cares scenario.  This is the type of show that needs a break to keep it interesting and find great celebs to do it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, mertensia said:

Is that the reason for that odd bit where the producer had to run up and talk to her when the results we read? 

I suspect that one of the producers approaches every contestant to give them instructions for the big reveal.  I read somewhere where there is usually a non-televised gap between the naming of the loser and the reveal  so that the contestant can get hair and make-up ready for tv.  There is no reason to be in full make-up under the mask unless it is coming off.  The contestant might also need assistance from someone who knows how to unlatch all of the locks that keep a huge head from flying off during the performance.

I think TPTB just televised this producer intervention because Will Arnett did a fake voice-over commentary that they decided to incorporate into the episode.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, Maverick said:

Is that the reason for that odd bit where the producer had to run up and talk to her when the results we read?   Was she about to throw a hissy fit?   That was so weird.   

I'm guessing it was like someone else said - that they were helping unbolt or whatever to take the head off. They said last season that when the results are determined they do help the loser to freshen up/makeup/hair before the mask gets removed too. So I'm guessing we just don't normally see this but they included it this one time simply because of Will Arnett's entertaining voice over!

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Dani said:

Rhino - Barry Zito

The Rhino clue showing the state of Missouri with a crown above it confused me for a minute.  At first I thought it might be some reference to the Kansas City Royals, but then I found out that Barry Zito is married to a former Miss Missouri.  BINGO!

• Useful 2

I’m sticking with the same people. 

Astronaut- Hunter Hayes

Rhino - Barry Zito

I'm really, really old -- I've never heard about any of these people.  The only reason I had ever heard of Jo Jo is because the neighbor girls dressed as her for Halloween.

• Love 3

I've never heard of any of these either (with the exception of Hunter Hayes, I went to a Lady Antebellum concert a couple of years ago and HH was the first act and sang a couple of songs; some of the girls went crazy and I had never heard of him).

That said, my guess for Astronaut was Jonathan Taylor Thomas, maybe just because of his size. 

I think I'm too old (58) to watch this show.  

• LOL 2
35 minutes ago, camom said:

I'm really, really old -- I've never heard about any of these people.  The only reason I had ever heard of Jo Jo is because the neighbor girls dressed as her for Halloween.

I suspect it’s not an age thing but that they are popular in select fan bases. Each of them are very well known but haven’t crossed into  mainstream recognition. 

For the most part those are the types of celebs these shows attract. If you’re already universally recognized there is very little to be gained from a show like this. 

Edited by Guest

When Barry Zito was still playing baseball, he was contractually unable to go surfing. It's one of the first things he did after he retired! 

He also played on the AAA team Nashville Sounds, which allowed him the opportunity to work on both his baseball and music at the same time! 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

So my 10 year old was right...she was thrilled.  LOL

Anyone else notice how you can predict who is "voted off" because, magically, one of the judges guesses correctly after the song?  

10 year old and I both knew Jojo was leaving because - POOF - Jenny changed her guess from last week. *shrug*  

• Love 3

I think this show is kind of ruining itself by coming on so soon.  The reveals continue to become more and more of a who cares scenario.  This is the type of show that needs a break to keep it interesting and find great celebs to do it.

ITA.  As with last night too many of the recent reveals have been like “oh.  okay.” rather than “ohmigod.”   Both the decision to come back so soon and the decision to have soooooooooo many contestants in this new longer playoffs structure feels like a mistake in retrospect.   There are some bigger celebrities under there, as we’ve seen, but there’s also a lot of shruggable “so what” cannon fodder.

Starting with a season of nine where just the bigger names were in play would have made this a lot more exciting, and a shorter season wouldn’t have risked making viewers start feeling tired of the format since this season followed so closely that last season— like I was sadly really starting to feel last night.  Sometimes less really is more.

• Love 7

think this show is kind of ruining itself by coming on so soon.  The reveals continue to become more and more of a who cares scenario.  This is the type of show that needs a break to keep it interesting and find great celebs to do it.

Agreed. I was riveted season one, pushed through season two on principle, and this season I watch the first performance of a group just to see if any of the performers grab me. So far it’s a big “ so what?” The eliminations seem completely random. How are all these legendary singers getting eliminated in the first two rounds of group competition? At this point I just read forums for predictions and People.com for the unmasking.

• Love 6

How are all these legendary singers getting eliminated in the first two rounds of group competition?

Yeah, those early eliminations the first few weeks starts to make me think “big names who only signed up to do a certain number of episodes and to be a promo for the show” and risks taking away the notion that this is a real competition.  I see the show’s dilemma-  if you have all these celebrities of varying quality competing and you genuinely get rid of the lesser talents the first several weeks then ratings go down because it seems like you don’t have big names under the masks.  

But that’s exactly why, like I said in an earlier message, if the show started with nine big names under the masks they wouldn’t have this problem— each week would be somebody big or better known going home (and bigger celebrities might be more likely to sign on since they would have less of a time commitment that would take them away as long from touring and other projects since they wouldn’t have to sit around waiting for “playoff” style episodes to be filmed).  They could also get rid of the contestants who are obviously more dancers than singers-  like JoJo last night— since they are doing The Masker Dancer and last time I read this show is still called the Masked Singer.

• Love 4

Even when she "speaks" I'm thinking "why is she yelling at me?" I really don't see the appeal in this kid.  

The show is lucky it managed to complete filming for the season so they can stretch it out but it's gotten a lot more tedious to be invested in half the people I never or barely heard of while the rest of them fall under "how the fuck did you last thing long?"

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Maverick said:

4 hours ago, UncleChuck said:

I think TPTB just televised this producer intervention because Will Arnett did a fake voice-over commentary that they decided to incorporate into the episode.

That was my impression.  I suppose some people find Will Arnett amusing.  I am not those people, and as a result just FFWD through Lego Masters to the end to see who won and who got kicked off.

I have only a passing awareness of what a JoJo Siwa is (I think my niece may have gotten a JoJo-themed game for Christmas a couple years ago??), but I'm glad she is off my teevee screen.  V. annoying, that one.

I think the astronaut is Joseph Gordon Levitt.  There's just something about his carriage and voice cadence that screams JGL to me.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Lovecat said:

I think the astronaut is Joseph Gordon Levitt.  There's just something about his carriage and voice cadence that screams JGL to me.

I totally agree! His stance alone when he is at the front with Nick reads JGL to me and he is really good at doing different voices

• Love 2

Popular wisdom seems to think the Astronaut is Hunter Hayes, but i'm kind of getting a Joseph Gordon Levitt vibe from him too. I'd think he's too big and current a star to do this dumb show, but it also seems like exactly the kind of cheesy, silly thing his adorkable little ass would love.

• Love 3

Are some of the guesses "fed" to the judges?  Will Arnett guessed JC Chasez and completely butchered his name.  If he really knew him (or of him) wouldn't he know how to pronounce his name?  

And in that train of thought, do all of the judges really know or have heard of all the contestants, or are they fed some guesses? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 3/27/2020 at 11:26 AM, roughing it said:

Are some of the guesses "fed" to the judges?  Will Arnett guessed JC Chasez and completely butchered his name.  If he really knew him (or of him) wouldn't he know how to pronounce his name?  

I mean, I know JC Chasez but I'm not exactly sure how to pronounce his name lol. But still, I agree with you that the judges are being fed some guesses.

• Love 4

The only reason why I know Jojo is because my daughters used to watch Dance Moms.  I think the "U" in her first clue package was for Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition which is where she first appeared before she was in Dance Moms.  As others said, if you or your kids watch DM, Jojo was easy to guess.  She's so hyper and the voice sounded like her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1