Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Awakening / S01.E10: Austin, We Have a Problem

• Start Topic

Owen and the 126 crew race to a gender reveal party gone horribly wrong, and a father/son trapped in a cave during a spelunking excursion.

and

Owen helps T.K. reconcile the past to help his future, Judd and Grace aid Judd’s aging father and Michelle learns the full truth about her missing sister, Iris.

Season finale, airing Monday, March 9, 2020!

I feel bad for Michelle and her mom, that they can't help Iris with her schizophrenia unless she wants it.

The guy in space with radiation sickness was soooooooooooo sad. I almost cried.

"Unsteady" by X Ambassadors always gets to me, the damn song.

That idiot dad doing what his kid did, sticking the toy car up his nose. lol Real smart move. 

"You lied to a kid? You're a monster!" LOL Poor Paul.

I'm glad that TK realized that he wanted to stay a firefighter. 

We all knew that Owen wasn't going to die in that plane. They're not going to kill off the main character. 

• Love 6

Ok so are we done with TK Droopy Dawg now?  Please?

I really wanted Grace to get up at the end so I could see her beautiful sweater.  Also their black and white plaid coffee mugs are divine.  Whoever the set designer is for Grace and Judd’s house deserves an Emmy and a raise.

• Love 4

Damn, that scene with the astronaut had me crying like Grace. So sad and well done. I rewound it and cried again. 

Also, I've always wanted to see the Northern Lights. It's on my bucket list, so watching the end with the lights in the sky was beautiful and made me wish I was viewing the real thing. 

And Buttercup is just the bestest boy ever! I want to hug him so badly. 

I hope this show will be back next season. I enjoyed it overall. 

• Love 12

I'm no physicist, but I'm pretty sure we'd have some warning if there were a big solar flare. I'm also pretty sure a solar flare couldn't cause an espresso machine to operate without being plugged in.  I AM pretty sure that if it caused the kind of disruption we saw, it wouldn't just go away and leave everything to basically go back to normal within hours. This whole plot point was wrangled so that they could have the that tear-jerking scene with the astronaut, with no consideration of the enormous chaos such an event would really cause. 

Of course this is the same franchise that had an episode that revolved around a big huge earthquake, which only lasted long enough for a couple of daring rescues, and then all signs of it vanished.

I was hoping the son would leave. I think he's boring.

• Love 11

"Alright, astronaut candidates.  Welcome to your training.  Now, we need some volunteers for a mission to the International Space Station to pick up some, uh, cargo..."

Why isn't Buttercup living at Owen's house instead of the fire station?

They managed to insert the word corona in there, even if not about the virus.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

"Alright, astronaut candidates.  Welcome to your training.  Now, we need some volunteers for a mission to the International Space Station to pick up some, uh, cargo..."

They managed to insert the word corona in there, even if not about the virus.

I guess the tradition of the fire station dog. As the senior Captain I guess the other shifts accepted his lead and care for Buttercup 

• Love 3

I call shows like this semi realistic.   It sounds realistic enough if you aren’t an actual firefighter or you don’t think about it too hard but realism isn’t really the point.  This isn’t a documentary about firefighting.   It’s an action adventure which means they need.....action.

5 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

More then likely because Owen spends more time at the firehouse then at home. Plus there is always (almost always)  someone there to feed and walk him while Owens home could legitimately be empty for hours and days at a time.   Its one of the reasons I don’t have a dog.  I am gone for hours and sometimes days.  I am not about to schedule my life around walking and feeding a dog.  

Paul and the kid was funny.  “You monster.  Lying to a kid.”

I don’t usually like TK but jus rescue of the woman had me almost in tears.

Grace and the astronaut was the kind of emotional “you can’t save them all” this franchise does well.  

Judd and his family and Michelle and hers are two storylines that have a lot of potential for season 2 arcs.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

Well, the first hour was really strong...actually, the second hour was also decent. It only took them until the finale to get me to enjoy something about it.

The TK stuff was pretty decent, but I called it that TK's whole 'I doubt my future...wait, no, LOL, never mind' would be one of the quickest in TV history. But still, the story itself was done fairly well and I really felt, for the first time, the bond between Owen and TK. 

TK/Carlos? Still pretty meh. I feel like Carlos is severely underdeveloped and I haven't quite determined if the actor who plays Carlos is a good actor or if he just doesn't really have strong chemistry with Ronen. They're just kind of bland together. I do like Carlos, though, which is why I'm hoping for way more on Carlos. 

The scene with TK and the woman was done well, but my favourite case was the astronaut one. I cannot believe that this show actually got me to tear up. That was a really well done scene. 

Judd's story with his dad was excellent. I really, really enjoyed seeing it, especially since it got Grace more involved. I love that she calls him "Dad" and that they have such a loving relationship separate from Judd. 

Michelle's story with her sister...was actually not as bad as the lead up as been. Though I had to laugh at Michelle and Iris' mother being as monotone as Michelle can be. Lines such as "You found her, like you said you would" was delivered with a very similar raspy, breathy tone as Liv Tyler. Either that was an excellent choice on the actress' part, or the actress is on a similar acting level as Liv Tyler. Lyndsy Fonseca was great as Iris. 

Everyone got a little something to do. I'm hoping that, for the potential season 2, that we get more focus on characters like Paul and Marjan. Probie, in the meantime, could fail out and disappear and I'd be thrilled. The actor really sucks and I can't stand his character, as it turns out. I didn't realize that until this episode, when he was whining about the coffee maker and I actively said "Shut up, Probie" at my television. 

Also, I'm so digging Owen's new girlfriend. I hope she returns for a potential season 2...if only to keep any hinting at Owen/Michelle off my screen. I don't know if they'd go Owen/Michelle, but PLEASE DO NOT DO THAT, SHOW. 

• Love 11
21 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Judd's story with his dad was excellent. I really, really enjoyed seeing it, especially since it got Grace more involved. I love that she calls him "Dad" and that they have such a loving relationship separate from Judd.

I smiled from ear to ear when I saw that Judd's dad is Brenda Leigh Johnson's daddy LOL I loved him on The Closer and I am loving him here. I love that Dad calls Grace Gracie.

It was good seeing Grace and Judd present a united front when dealing with Dad. Judd taking Grace's hand just before broaching the subject of Dad's living arrangements was a small thing but it was another example of how they are in this thing called life together.

Dad having is own personal 911 operator is the bomb! LOL And Grace is definitely made for the job. She was so calm when dealing with him. I expected to see some level of panic but Grace remained steady.

Dad saying Judd doesn't have to know about this was hilarious. Poor Dad didn't know there are no secrets in the Ryder marriage .

I do like that Judd accepted that he can't control what his dad does but did what he could do. I feel him there. My mom is 82, lives alone and is over 400 miles from me. She's as stubborn as Dad and insists she can still take care of herself.

I appreciate that Stuart accepted Grace and Judd's terms. I wonder if my mom would accept a medical alert bracelet if I offered.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, GodsBeloved said:

I smiled from ear to ear when I saw that Judd's dad is Brenda Leigh Johnson's daddy LOL I loved him on The Closer and I am loving him here

Barry Corbin was also the Sheriff's Dad at the end of No Country for Old Men.  Much the same character there.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

Barry Corbin was also the Sheriff's Dad at the end of No Country for Old Men.  Much the same character there.

He's been pretty busy lately because he's also in Better Call Saul this season.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, rhys said:

Ack! Judd 's dad's teeth! He looked like a piano. Gah! Why do people do that?

Likely he had necessary restorative dental work done decades ago when there weren’t as many choices. Plus, having complete dentures done means less time out of the camera for actors. More conservative and strategic implants can take over six months. (One of my daughters has been dealing with the results of a childhood injury to her front teeth for almost 30 years.)

Speaking of dental states, Lindsay Fonseca in no way looks like she’s been living in a tent under a freeway for 3 years. 

Natalie Zea is a good choice for Owen. 

I really appreciated that finally on a show with a baby gender reveal party that someone remarked that the gender identity would ultimately be chosen by the child. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I really appreciated that finally on a show with a baby gender reveal party that someone remarked that the gender identity would ultimately be chosen by the child. 

Paul is trans, so it made sense for him to say that.

Barry Corbin was also coach Whitey on One Tree Hill. 

Owen's lung cancer is essentially forgettable.

My impression of this episode was that it was filmed as a possible series finale in case they didn't get renewed. There were no cliffhangers at the end.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 7

He's been pretty busy lately because he's also in Better Call Saul this season.

He also has a regular role on The Ranch. He's been getting a lot of work lately. 

I found the whole melodrama surrounding TK's decision about his future predictable and pointless. However, the melodrama about the astronaut on the space station was surprisingly moving, for this show. How he managed to call 911 in Austin is another matter, but I guess "who cares."  

Overall I found the series decent but maybe not all that compelling. If it had been cancelled I don't think I would care. I still prefer the original. Not that it's any great work of art either but it has done a better job of fleshing out its characters.

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

How he managed to call 911 in Austin is another matter, but I guess "who cares."  

At least they had it related to the solar storm plot, with how communication was not functioning correctly (due to the solar storms affecting GPS and communication lines)...AND it's also why the astronaut and his co-worker died up in space. 

I actually ended up looking up solar storms and it seems like the show was actually mostly accurate about what could happen. So, in the end, I ended up buying what they were selling.

Plus, at least they were trying to call Houston and got Austin. It would be way more ridiculous if they were trying to call somewhere else, such as overseas...or even Florida. 

22 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Overall I found the series decent but maybe not all that compelling. If it had been cancelled I don't think I would care. I still prefer the original. Not that it's any great work of art either but it has done a better job of fleshing out its characters.

I feel similarly. They did manage to make this finale probably my favourite of the series thus far, but is it too little too late? And also, I dislike at least two characters and don't have many other connections to anyone other than Judd and Grace. They did manage to get me real close in adding TK to this list, but not quite there yet.

Speaking of TK, there is a shot of TK's eyes that they showed, I believe in the second hour (or maybe the first) and I thought "Wow, he actually has some similarities to Rob Lowe. Impressive."

• Love 4

It was only a matter of time before this show rolled out Barry Corbin. (Is everyone here too young to remember him as Maurice on Northern Exposure?) TV just can't resist his voice and accent. Maybe next season they'll get Willie to make a cameo appearance.

Paul is trans, so it made sense for him to say that.

Good catch, @Jillybean; I'm sometimes very slow on the uptake.

Loved how the brothers were grossed out by the delivery and rejoiced when they learned they had another brother.

Now my question to all is: did anyone think the baby was really going to be a girl? 

scarred.jpg

boy.jpg

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Wow, for being in a near-death coma, TK sure came out of his all fresh and spunky and ready to roll. I guess all that rest he got rejuvenated him. It takes me longer to wake up from sleeping overnight than he did from a medical coma.

Owen: "It's so like you, TK, to think of everyone else besides yourself." When the heck did that happen? Every episode posting here, I've ranted about TK being so selfish and dickish and all about himself and screw everyone AND your big dog too.

Then he has the big reveal at the station about how he used to be an addict but NOW he wants to be a firefighter, and his face goes from all woebegone to smiley and bright during his monologue. All I could think was, wouldn't he be on some nice opioids now from the gunshot wound? So either TK is now high or else he really did suffer brain damage from the coma, that plot line alluded to last episode.

However, I did tear up during the scene where he was saving the lady in the bus. So, joke's on me I guess.

Do tv people EVER say "Good bye" or even "'Bye" when ending a phone call?

I laughed at the spelunking scene, but was grossed out by the tight-squeeze area  being called The Birth Canal. And thought the son being freaked about entering a big WALK-THROUGH cave entrance stupid. I went spelunking in southern Indiana; the cave entrance was an almost unseen slit in the ground we had to shimmy down. And our tight-squeeze was called Fat Man's Squeeze. The show should have filmed there for more realism.

I was also irritated at the cave son's repeated "It's dark in there" so he couldn't help or do anything. Dude, that's why you had a freaking headlamp on your helmet, turn it on and you can see.

Judd, man, there are better ways to talk to your dad.

Loved that Michelle's long-dead sister is batshit crazy.

Liv Tyler's hugely inflated upper lip needs its own casting agent.

When Owen and Buttercup went for a night walk and Owen looked up and was amazed at what he saw, I thought for sure it would be the space station.

I called BS on the Northern Lights being seen in Austin, but then I figured the solar flare caused it, so it was okay.

The last scene were TK and cop boyfriend are on the car hood looking up, TK looked like a Rob Lowe twin. Funny I never saw it until that scene.

Lastly: Why would jumping out of a plane onto a big bouncy pad kill that liver-transplant guy? Like it would burst his diseased liver or something?

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Well, the first hour was really strong...actually, the second hour was also decent. It only took them until the finale to get me to enjoy something about it.

Michelle's story with her sister...was actually not as bad as the lead up as been. Though I had to laugh at Michelle and Iris' mother being as monotone as Michelle can be. Lines such as "You found her, like you said you would" was delivered with a very similar raspy, breathy tone as Liv Tyler. Either that was an excellent choice on the actress' part, or the actress is on a similar acting level as Liv Tyler. Lyndsy Fonseca was great as Iris. 

Also, I'm so digging Owen's new girlfriend. I hope she returns for a potential season 2...if only to keep any hinting at Owen/Michelle off my screen. I don't know if they'd go Owen/Michelle, but PLEASE DO NOT DO THAT, SHOW. 

I have adored Mary Kay Place since her Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman days. She does have a kind of flat intonation. Damn, that makes me old.

I enjoyed the first hour as there was very little Michelle, but I don't mind this story now that it's actually going somewhere. I think that Liv is very pretty, but bangs were a very bad choice and don't suit her at all. Maybe this is deliberate to make her look more "professional".

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, rhys said:

Ack! Judd 's dad's teeth! He looked like a piano. Gah! Why do people do that?

I was thinking the same thing! Did his dentist give him oversize dentures for some reason? Because he's a hack? They look f***ing ridiculous. Yuk. I hated looking at him. If he were my father or in law, I would  make sure he got a set that fits. Gross, he looks like a scary puppet.

36 minutes ago, msrachelj said:

I was thinking the same thing! Did his dentist give him oversize dentures for some reason? Because he's a hack? They look f***ing ridiculous. Yuk. I hated looking at him. If he were my father or in law, I would  make sure he got a set that fits. Gross, he looks like a scary puppet.

A lot of blame rightfully goes to direction and camera choices, but see also my abbreviated explanation above of dental restoration practices. 

7 hours ago, Raja said:

I guess the tradition of the fire station dog. As the senior Captain I guess the other shifts accepted his lead and care for Buttercup 

Maybe Rob takes Buttercup home with him when he leaves the station, and then back to the station when it's again Rob's shift.  I can't call him Owen.  That's the story I'm going to believe, because I know in real life Rob is a HUGE dog fanatic and he would be the perfect doggie daddy for Buttercup.  When they have had dogs on the set, I've wondered if they would use any of Rob's real dogs but so far, they haven't.  Below is a photo of Rob and one of his real dogs on-set.  

4 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

I may be the only one old enough to remember this, but Barry Corbin also played Maurice on the wonderful series of long ago, Northern Exposure.  He's also an EXCELLENT singer.  Check him out.

Rob and Pup 1.jpg

Edited by slasherboy
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I actually ended up looking up solar storms and it seems like the show was actually mostly accurate about what could happen.

Probably the writers went to the same website as you and then ran with it.  snark.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Then he has the big reveal at the station about how he used to be an addict but NOW he wants to be a firefighter, and his face goes from all woebegone to smiley and bright during his monologue.

I guess it's a good thing nobody found out about it and took it upon themselves to notify the Battalion Chief first.

2 hours ago, mojito said:

(Is everyone here too young to remember him as Maurice on Northern Exposure?)

Nope, welcome back, Maurice.  I wonder if they used the astronaut plot and the Northern Lights plot just for his appearance, as both of those were factors in some of episodes from that series.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Lastly: Why would jumping out of a plane onto a big bouncy pad kill that liver-transplant guy?

I thought that rescue was supremely silly.  You get rid of the two capable people in the aircraft without even checking to see if the patient can even move?  Of course, the Captain has to abandon his role as incident commander and shimmy down the 250,000 volt power line to save the day.  But it plays well.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, slasherboy said:

When they have had dogs on the set, I've wondered if they would use any of Rob's real dogs but so far, they haven't.

Maybe because a Yorkie is not macho enough for a fire-house dog while a Berner is. Thanks for the cool pic.

2 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

I wonder if they used the astronaut plot and the Northern Lights plot just for his appearance, as both of those were factors in some of episodes from that series.

Oh, great shout out to Northern Lights/Exposure. Well done, @Dowel Jones.

• Love 1

I felt more of an emotional punch for the astronaut than I did for Michelle's sister's story.  And not just because he died, but the story had heart that the sister's story lacked. 

And yeah part of it is because here is the mom and Michelle finding out that their daughter/sister is alive after all this time of her being missing feared dead and they not only have monotone dialogue delivery but everything about them felt monotone.  It just felt like she just came back after having nipped down to the corner store for milk.

I just enjoy Judd and Grace so much.  Now I want to meet his brothers.  I also love her relationship with his dad and him calling her "Gracie."  I give the three actors credit, they made the familial and affectionate relationship between them all feel natural and lived in.

TK... yawn.  I don't hate him, but I think his job/life crisis feels premature for the age of the show.  Also he and Carlos are pretty and all but their chemistry is non existent.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, DearEvette said:

And yeah part of it is because here is the mom and Michelle finding out that their daughter/sister is alive after all this time of her being missing feared dead and they not only have monotone dialogue delivery but everything about them felt monotone.  It just felt like she just came back after having nipped down to the corner store for milk.

I was actually floored with their reactions, especially the mom. I thought you just discovered your child is found and found alive and that's all you've got?

7 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I just enjoy Judd and Grace so much.  Now I want to meet his brothers. 

And Grace's father. Apparently, he gave in and gave Judd his blessing to marry Grace but I wonder if he's still "hostile" toward the redneck LOL

Since they've been renewed, I hope we learn more about Grace's family.

• Love 10
37 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

here is the mom and Michelle finding out that their daughter/sister is alive after all this time of her being missing feared dead and they not only have monotone dialogue delivery but everything about them felt monotone.  It just felt like she just came back after having nipped down to the corner store for milk.

Yeah, no kidding, except I was hoping that deadness means the end of homeless sister story. But what's up with the bones and wrecked truck, is sis a murderer? And when Michelle was giving sis some blankets (like she has been getting along w/o them for three freaking years), I thought she'd give her back her bracelet too. The one she "never takes off." Except she did, three years ago.

In other shows, the crazy person is jumped, injected with some magic potion, and carried off to hospital where he/she recovers and reverts back to Happy Family Member. This is the first time I've seen a show just say, "Well, whatever, she's not dead, go back to your tent in the street. See ya, don't wanna be ya."

Sis was smart enough to avoid Michelle for three years. I missed how she was found this time, not that it matters I guess. Next season I want to see the Michelle/Dustin apology episode.

6 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I thought it was nothing more than filler for what I think will be the end of the series.  

Now that you put it that way, I agree. This was the oh-so-perfect ending, everyone and everything solved.

15 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I thought it was nothing more than filler for what I think will be the end of the series.  

Both episodes were okay.   It is hard to get invested in the characters when we don't know much about the vast majority of the main characters.

TK could get hit by a bus and I wouldn't care.  He acts like a child.

If the writers had devoted less time to TK and more time to the neglected characters I think that would have improved the show immensely.

That said, if this series goes toes up, I would love to see a spinoff with Grace and Judd.

Are the ratings that bad? As it stands shows with lots of wacky rescue stunts being able to split a TV season between crews nominally in LA and Austin if that is where both are actually filmed seems to be a good business model by providing cheaper fresh product

• Love 2

Wow, for being in a near-death coma, TK sure came out of his all fresh and spunky and ready to roll. I guess all that rest he got rejuvenated him. It takes me longer to wake up from sleeping overnight than he did from a medical coma.

LOL. This is another TV trope that never ceases to crack me up. People do not just "wake up" from a coma, especially the way TK suddenly popped up like a jackrabbit. You regain consciousness in stages, and the medical personnel get you up out of bed and walk you around so you start reacting to things by reflex. TV treats comas like people are just sleeping. 

Are the ratings that bad? 

No, they were decent enough to merit a 2nd season. I suspect it will be a mid-season replacement for the OG show a year from now like it was this  year.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

they were decent enough to merit a 2nd season.

That's good. If I don't forget about it by then! I've never seen the original 911 and only happened on this by chance when my Monday-night "regular" show wasn't on. Plus this thread turned out to be Barrels of Fun, so there's that too. Now to decide where to go next Monday night ...

Now to decide where to go next Monday night ...

Next Monday the original show returns. You might give it a try. It's got the same campy vibe to it with the crazy calls and such.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, mojito said:

It was only a matter of time before this show rolled out Barry Corbin. (Is everyone here too young to remember him as Maurice on Northern Exposure?)

That's always the first thing I think of when I see him. 

2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I would love to see a spinoff with Grace and Judd.

I would absolutely be on board for that. 

8 hours ago, GodsBeloved said:

I wonder if my mom would accept a medical alert bracelet if I offered.

If she's like my mom, she'll accept it and then not wear it. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 3/9/2020 at 10:06 PM, anna0852 said:

Who was the astronaut? He looked so familiar!

Jonathan Chase

14 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I am not about to schedule my life around walking and feeding a dog. 

You monster! 😉

10 hours ago, mojito said:

It was only a matter of time before this show rolled out Barry Corbin. (Is everyone here too young to remember him as Maurice on Northern Exposure?)

That's where I remember him from - I don't think I've seen most of the other roles people have mentioned here, except for the occasional episode of The Closer.

• LOL 2
8 hours ago, slasherboy said:

Maybe Rob takes Buttercup home with him when he leaves the station, and then back to the station when it's again Rob's shift.  I can't call him Owen.  That's the story I'm going to believe, because I know in real life Rob is a HUGE dog fanatic and he would be the perfect doggie daddy for Buttercup.  When they have had dogs on the set, I've wondered if they would use any of Rob's real dogs but so far, they haven't.  Below is a photo of Rob and one of his real dogs on-set.  

I may be the only one old enough to remember this, but Barry Corbin also played Maurice on the wonderful series of long ago, Northern Exposure.  He's also an EXCELLENT singer.  Check him out.

Rob and Pup 1.jpg

Always a big fan of Rob Lowe and I am realllly OLD …..  However, seeing him with a Yorkie, my favorite breed, is just wonderful.

10 hours ago, mojito said:

It was only a matter of time before this show rolled out Barry Corbin. (Is everyone here too young to remember him as Maurice on Northern Exposure?) TV just can't resist his voice and accent. Maybe next season they'll get Willie to make a cameo appearance.

Good catch, @Jillybean; I'm sometimes very slow on the uptake.

Loved how the brothers were grossed out by the delivery and rejoiced when they learned they had another brother.

Now my question to all is: did anyone think the baby was really going to be a girl? 

scarred.jpg

boy.jpg

I assume you are referring to "Willie May Johnson"  his wife on The Closer.  He and Frances Sternhaggen were perfect together.  I would love to see her again.

• Love 2
On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 1:10 PM, saber5055 said:

I called BS on the Northern Lights being seen in Austin, but then I figured the solar flare caused it, so it was okay.

I kinda called northern lights halfway through the episode, but I thought it would be part of "the sky is falling" hysteria calls to 911.

btw. I remember seeing a tiny patch of northern lights in WI on my way from Madison to Chicago. And it was very faint and mostly white. There was a heightened solar activity happening at that time... but I have a question to people who live or have visited places where the lights are a common and major occurrence. I have heard that even the full sky Aurora borealis is mostly white since human eye can't really distinguish all the waives. Cameras pick up what we usually see in the movies and photos.

22 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Next Monday the original show returns. You might give it a try. It's got the same campy vibe to it with the crazy calls and such.

oh really? I thought it was done, and now we have TX to replace it. So my hope for Buck and Eddie is still alive. TK and his cop bf don't have 1/10 of the chemistry those two have.

• Love 2
On 3/10/2020 at 1:04 PM, mojito said:

scarred.jpg

boy.jpg

Yes, totally. Once you've watched this (and the other 911) for a while you can kind of see those "gotcha" moments coming a mile away.

22 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Please- Willie Ray! I cry every time I see the episode where she dies.

Thank you for correcting the RAY.    I knew it sounded "off"  when I typed it, and about the middle of the night I thought of it.   I just loved all the seasons of The Closer.  Every actor was perfect.  

• Love 2

Chims post through the head survival story is so legendary that its crossing the country, I love it. "California man." 

The astronaut story was so sad, the actors all really sold it, especially the guy playing the astronaut, even if he was only on screen for a few minutes. At least Grace had better luck with her father in law, mr stubborn "I dont need no help" cold guy. Look at Jed, talking about feelings and what not! I really liked the story with Jed and his dad, and that he and were so united on how to handle things, even when his dad asked her to keep his accident from Jed. 

Michelle finds her missing sister, and presumably finds an even BIGGER gift basket to send to Dustin after this whole clusterfuck. At least I like this better as a story than a "I must find my missing sister!" drama, and it certainly makes Michelle look better than in the first few episodes. Michelle cant make her get treatment or leave her tent, but she can at least be there for her. 

Its a decent parallel to the story with Jed and his dad. You cant make the people you love do something, even if its in their best interest, all you can do is be there for them.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4
On 3/10/2020 at 1:04 PM, mojito said:

I remember. But tonight I thought he looked like Ed Asner.

I have a recurring nightmare about various electrical devices working even when unplugged, so this was a freaky episode for me.

I like the chemistry between Carlos and TK. To me, it's a calm, subtly romantic vibe, not an off kilter hotness. I like it, because I think it speaks to them being tuned into each other not just on a chemistry level but also in a more personal way. You always see them looking at each other even when they aren't looking directly. IRL, that kind of thing grows, and doesn't burn itself out as fast as crazy careening chemistry. It's kind of similar to what I see between Grace and Judd.

I wanted Michell and the mom to ask Iris who "they" are, and what bad things happen when she doesn't follow their directives. You don't win anyone over by denying their reality and trying to bully or trick them. I was surprised Iris forgave Michelle so fast, but I guess TV does everything on a compressed timeline. Engage her, Michelle! Try to meet her where she is, instead of just yanking her away.

I also agree that more emotion would have made some sense. Where's the "We missed you so much!" "We want you back home with Mom, what can we do to make that happen? Would you at least come to dinner? What have you been doing all this time? Do you enjoy living in the tent?"

Not saying they don't have some reason to be concerned, but go a little deeper than just a facile attempted abduction. You don't want to substitute one scary boss entity for another, and further undermine her agency.

• Love 8

chiming in, I don't have the time to watch 2 hours of tv in one sitting, finished now to comment.

I was irritated by the parents that seem to be making more children just to have a girl.  Children are very expensive and child bearing hard and risky on a woman’s body so to keep getting pregnant to have a girl isn’t…a good reason to have many children.  But hey, it’s your (fictional) woman’s body, your income, your (fictional character’s) decision to bring many children into the world.  Further on this story, if I struck out twice already having a girl I wouldn't have tried for a 3rd time.

I was kind of hoping TK character decided not to be a firefighter anymore and leave the show.  Darn...

Shouldn’t Michele’s sister be told she has schizophrenia?  She may not believe it, but at least she’s told, and then maybe the whole family slowly can work at getting Iris to live with either the mom or Michele.

I cried during the astronaut story.  Best emotional story out of the all the emergency situations.

Buttercup smiling is awesome.  Why that name?  It's a very cute name but he isn't yellow (color of the flower).  Is it a reference to Princess Buttercup or the Buttercup song?  (Only Buttercup references I know)  That fur looks so thick and heavy.  How does he handle humid weather.

I'm liking now Judd's and Grace's loving, close marriage atmosphere.  It's nice.

When I read a poster noting the actor name Barry Corbin, I had a jolt of recognition.  Northern Exposure.  He was very good in that show when I watched it.  (Yes, I'm not...young)  Glad he had work after that show.

• Love 5