Type keyword(s) to search

SNL Classic: Re-Airings, Past Casts, Past Sketches, Past Hosts, the Past

vb68
  • Start Topic

Well, that was a real trip down memory lane. Add Gilda Radner and Andy Kaufman to the list of departed SNL alums. Was amazed at how many of the bits still resonate -- Carlin's baseball vs football riff, show me your guns, and most prescient: gay marriage. BRW, I tried to find who was in that sketch with Chevy Chase; looked like it might have been Buck Henry. Does anyone know?

Yes, that was Buck Henry.  And it was not so much a riff on gay marriage (not in 1975), but a riff on Geritol commercials, which had exactly the same text that Chevy said:  "My wife, I think I'll keep her."  It showed how ludicrous the commercials were. 

P.S. -- I had totally forgotten about the "Show us your Larks!" commercials! 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 3

I DVR'd the original episode and watched it yesterday and from there went into watching the 40th anniversary special.  I always enjoy commemorative / recapp-y type shows anyway and SNL always brings me fond memories.  

Watching the original was really interesting as I've seen quite a few of the older ones but I don't think I'd seen that one.  I came along a few years after SNL started and probably my 'heyday' of watching was the mid to late 90's ... Fallon, Ferrell, Sandler.  Now when I catch it I always enjoy at least a couple segments and make promises to myself that I'm going to start watching it again because whether it's making me cringe or laugh it's making me do something.

I read the book 'The History of SNL' last year and I recommend it if you get a chance to read it.  Lots of Behind the Scenes stuff about gossip and feuds between the cast.

I know some people hate when the cast breaks and laughs during the skits, but that's one of my favorite parts, and I think that's what endeared me so much to Jimmy Fallon.  I feel like it makes them human, and relatable.  As an aside, I like when stand-up comedians get a little giggly at themselves too.

I'm off to finish watching the 40th anniversary special.

• Love 2

Hi there! :) My name's Sean! :) I'm 24 years old, and I've got autism. Even though I don't watch late night television talk shows anymore, and even though I don't watch "SNL" anymore either, but since last night was the "SNL" 40th anniversary special, do you remember back in 1993 when Chevy Chase had his own late night television talk show on FOX? :) Now keep in mind this was back in 1993, the year after Johnny Carson retired, so Chevy was going up against Leno, Letterman was getting ready to move from NBC to CBS, Conan was getting ready to take over for Letterman on "Late Night", and Arsenio was in his final season, LOL! :)

• Love 2

Tonight's 10 pm on NBC episode - Richard Pryor plays a priest in a a sendup of “The Exorcist.” Also: “Samurai Hotel”; and an original essay read by Emily Litella.

His samurai hotel sketch is one of my all-time favorites in the history of the show. "Ok, I can dig it. I'll get the bags" makes me laugh like a loon every time.

• Love 1

I recorded about 100 of the VH1 Classic reruns and we are making our way through them but the editing is SO bad. It's really disappointing. I understand not having all the rights to the music but so many of them are missing the monologue for some reason I can't fathom. Just watched the Bruce Willis 1989 show. They skipped all of the monologue except a tiny bit of him playing the harmonica with the band, they showed the last 30 seconds of a Sprockets sketch with Dana Carvey's Jimmy Stewart impression but not the whole thing, but then the bumpers that show the photo of the host over music were like a minute long. Just very, very weird.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious when they got a syndication deal and started editing the episodes to fit the hour long format. Every episode from the mid-90's on ran like clockwork with the cold opening, monologue, a sketch or two, Weekend Update around the 30 minute mark, one musical number, and another sketch or two to finish it off. Most of the 70's era episodes are still shown at their full length, and everything in between, the episodes ranged from 30 minutes to an hour and 15 minutes with no music at all.

I couldn't believe the Wayne Gretzky episode was only 45 minutes and they edited out the two most memorable sketches from the show, Waikiki Hockey (with a pre-famous Conan O'Brien playing drums) and the post-hockey game locker room sketch with all the LA-based celebrities giving Wayne suggestions.  Jan stole that  with her fantastic Bette Davis impression.  "Why must hockey be played in a miserably cold room?  I would like a drink!"

I recorded it to have those two sketches, so that was very disappointing. 

• Love 1

Tonight's 10 pm on NBC episode - Richard Pryor plays a priest in a a sendup of “The Exorcist.” Also: “Samurai Hotel”; and an original essay read by Emily Litella.

Am I going crazy or did they show this one already?  This is the episode with word association sketch but they edited Exorcist out last time.  So they are replaying episodes already re-aired but with different editing now?

• Love 1

Am I going crazy or did they show this one already? This is the episode with word association sketch but they edited Exorcist out last time. So they are replaying episodes already re-aired but with different editing now?

You're not crazy. The title cards say, "Remember, it was the 70s and a lot of stuff that was shocking then may be considered offensive now. The last time this aired we couldn't put in all the things we liked. Here's some stuff we left out."

Arghhh, I tuned in half-way through, but fortunately caught the "Exorcist" sketch, which I had not seen for a long time.  Did they air the word association sketch?  "DEAD honky!"  Perfection. 

• Love 1

Loved seeing this again. For some reason my DVR didn't start recording it, but fortunately I caught this just as Pryor started his monologue, then I went to bed and watched this morning.

He was such a fantastic performer. He's great in the sketches, but I really enjoyed his stand-ups. His characters are fantastic. Great lines of course. Like after his character recounts how he was told to clean up his throw-up, "I ain't cleaning up nothin'! If I wanted it I would've kept it." And then the old man wanting his bottle back, "You know something about football, don't you? Pass it!"

• Love 1

For some reason my DVR didn't start recording it, but fortunately I caught this just as Pryor started his monologue, then I went to bed and watched this morning.

Mine didn't either.  My DVR doesn't record reruns of the current season.  They showed this one earlier back in the Fall, so I figured that was why.  Though it's certainly interesting if it was a new edit of the episode.

It was, Eddie was surprisingly, an Ebersol find, not one of Lorne's people.

The old Backstage at Saturday Night book has an interesting opinion on this: the only person to discover Eddie Murphy was Eddie Murphy.

He showed up to auditions with no agent and barreled his way into being a featured performer. In his audition he did the classic "word association" sketch with Piscopo and nailed it like Richard Pryor. He hung out with the writers constantly and impressed them with characters (he could play every character in the Little Rascals episodes). They pleaded with Doumanian to add him to the cast since most of the cast was too depressed to be funny at that point (Gottfried was especially crushed). Eventually they convinced her that he's funny. 

• Love 2

Couple weeks late but did anyone see EW's list of the top 25 SNL characters? I haven't seen it here or the media thread.

Major head scratchers for me: Dooneese at #12!!!! And Amber, an Amy Poehler character I barely remember, at #17.

Mary Katherine Gallagher at #9, the Culps are at #21 and the Spartan cheerleaders are at #24. I never found any of those funny but at least I know a lot of other people did.

http://www.ew.com/gallery/2015/02/13/snl-all-time-best-characters

I've been going through the second season on Hulu and it's quite a shock to see so many terrible sketches in what were the golden years of the show. In addition to the bombs, they did restrained sketches that were intended to be charming rather than funny. For example Jodie Foster saying goodbye to her teacher whom she had a crush on was entertaining but hardly got a laugh. SNL fans would howl at anything like that these days.

Gary Weiss had apparently given up trying to make funny shorts at this point. One was effectively a music video for Bob Seger's "Main Street" featuring a woman taking off her clothes. Before that he gave us a short with Sissy Spacek looking sexy while twirling a baton in slow motion, nothing else. If these weren't pointless enough, SNL was accepting home movies from viewers. Yes, that's how they discovered Mr. Bill, but no one remembers the stop motion peanuts short that looked like it was done by kids. It's hard to believe I stayed up to 1AM to watch this.

Then you have stuff that would be truly controversial now. I think "Let's Kill Gary Gilmore for Christmas" must be one of the most "politically incorrect" things the show has ever gotten away with. It's has Michael O'Donoghue all over it -- it was tasteless and not funny.

What was consistently funny were loud sketches with lots of energy. That's where Dan Aykroyd was simply amazing. He could deliver dialog like a machine gun and not screw up a word. Also Belushi got the most laughs whenever he screamed or did something physical. Glida Radner got laughs from Emily Latilda simply because the character yelled. 

Poor new guy Bill Murray isn't getting much to do yet. In one sketch he played a cop and got a line, but the camera was on Aykroyd the whole time. Of course his breakout character would be a loud energetic lounge singer.

• Love 2
Poor new guy Bill Murray isn't getting much to do yet. In one sketch he played a cop and got a line, but the camera was on Aykroyd the whole time. Of course his breakout character would be a loud energetic lounge singer.

Yeah, Nick Last-Name-Changed-On-A-Whim really helped Murray out. Although I think his nerds sketches with Gilda and their Todd and Lisa seemed to take off, too.

• Love 2

Anything "classic" in that one?

It was Jim Carrey's first of three appearances. I love cast members impersonating hosts, and Mark McKinney did Carrey—whilst Carrey did James Stewart doing Carrey.

Edited by editorgrrl

It was Jim Carrey's first of three appearances. I love cast members impersonating hosts, and Mark McKinney did Carrey—whilst Carrey did James Stewart doing Carrey.

Oh, yeah, Mark McKinney. I used to have a Kids in the Hall phase.

• Love 1

That was a great ep. The cold open with Bob Dole was bizarre and hilarious. The Butabi Brothers always crack me up. In the Joe Pesci sketch, when 'Jimmy Stewart' came out I thought it was Dana Carvey. The cheerleaders and jacuzzi sketches were good too.

Lots of fun.

• Love 3

I forgot about the Joe Pesci show skit 'til last night, but then it came flooding back. It was hilarious, and I know I'll sound like one of "those" people, but it really stood out to me how - to me, to emphasize! - less funny the show is these days (with some exceptions). Jim Carrey, by the way, fit in just fine as the third Butabi brother. That was great. (Speaking of the Joe Pesci skit, Carrey did a good Jimmy Stewart, and Mark McKinney also did a good Jim Carrey.)

The Lifeguard sketch is always a winner.

• Love 2
For a while my DVR was picking up these vintage shows, but apparently not any more. I just set it.

I'm having the same problem! In fact, my DVR was refusing to even let me manually set it to record the episode. i had to try several times. Finally, it worked. I have no idea what the problem was.

I usually find Jim Carrey off-putting, but there was some funny stuff in this episode.

Yeah, it's been a month since there was a vintage episode. I thought they discontinued it after SNL 40.

Anyways, I set my DVR at the beginning of the season to record NBC from 10 pm to 11 pm on Saturdays, so I'm glad it worked out.

For those who don't know: Nancy Walls, the bride in the Butabi brothers sketch, is Steve Carell's wife.

She married Carell 9 months before this episode.

I forgot about the Joe Pesci show skit 'til last night, but then it came flooding back. It was hilarious, and I know I'll sound like one of "those" people, but it really stood out to me how - to me, to emphasize! - less funny the show is these days (with some exceptions). Jim Carrey, by the way, fit in just fine as the third Butabi brother. That was great. (Speaking of the Joe Pesci skit, Carrey did a good Jimmy Stewart, and Mark McKinney also did a good Jim Carrey.)

I believe this is the 1st Butabi brother sketch. So it's not that Carrey fit in. But rather, he helped launch something special. One of the all-time greatest sketches in my opinion.

• Love 2

That was a great ep.

It really was, and it was from a season where the show was in the process of moving on from the Farley/Sandler/Spade era to the Ferrell/Hammond/Morgan/Shannon/Oteri era..  You can see how things were coming together with the new group.

Original Monologue, new skits, riffing on existing characters. A thoroughly enjoyable show. Given the era of the show, I kept seeing Soundgarden and thinking Savage Garden, and was secretly hoping to see those angsty Australian crooners. All good with Chris Cornell belting out the tunes though.

Lorne didn't turn him down. From Live From New York:

LORNE MICHAELS: Jim Carrey never auditioned for me personally. There is an audition tape which we almost played on the twenty-fifth anniversary show— if he had come that night, we would have. We have all the audition tapes. Carrey, I think, auditioned for Al Franken the year I was executive producer and Tom Davis and Al were the producers along with Jim Downey. In ’85, when Brandon got me to come back, his whole argument was I had to learn how to delegate. Dick had run it successfully that way, and so Tom, Al, and Jim did their stuff and I sort of approved things. But later that season, when Brandon was again thinking about canceling the show, he told me, “You have to completely take charge of everything again.”

• Love 1

I believe this is the 1st Butabi brother sketch. So it's not that Carrey fit in. But rather, he helped launch something special.

Wow. That puts a different spin on things. I thought they started out as just two brothers.

Oh wow, I didn't know that he didn't audition for Lorne.  Still, he would have been a great cast member.

Some would argue that this was another case of Lorne's disinterest in SNL that resulted in a huge mistake.