Type keyword(s) to search

SNL Classic: Re-Airings, Past Casts, Past Sketches, Past Hosts, the Past

vb68
  • Start Topic

I also really enjoyed seeing a Tina and Jimmy era Update.  It was so well written.  Tina picking up an ugly meatloaf for a Martha Stewart joke was  great.  Tina  could sell anything and  make it sound witty and smart.  It's just another example of how far the current Update has fallen.   

Jimmy and Tina also interacted hilariously, my favorite is still "Here is my room key, these are my panties, Jimmy Fallon!"  And while I love Seth by himself, he and Amy at WU seemed to be having the time of their lives, especially toward Amy's last year or so. Che and Jost act like they've never met, much less have a little fun together.

• Love 2

I too loved the opening credit sequence. I didn't watch that season, so I'd never seen it. Very clever and cute.

I thought this was a good ep. The Appalachian Emergency Room sketch was un-PC, but honestly I was laughing at the jokes which could be applied to any morons.

According to Comcast, this week's vintage episode will be Ben Affleck/N.E.R.D from 2004. I don't recall seeing this one when it aired. From this transcript, I'm not understanding what makes it worth re-airing at this time...

Isn't part of the point of the re-airings that they're doing one from every season? So, I don't know either exactly why they chose this one from 2004 vs others, but it seems they couldn't entirely avoid choosing any from 2004.

Lorne said he would be airing the Emmy submission episode from each season. The plan may have been scrapped once they aired a Jan Hooks episode after her passing. I preferred when Mary Kate and Ashley hosted in 2004. "Eat a sandwich!"

I was quite pleased to see a 2004 episode. 2003-04 may not have been the "best" SNL season, but it was my favorite SNL season in recent years.

It was just a fun year for SNL, with a great lineup (not the same the following year when Jimmy Fallon left), hosts who were down for anything, Jimmy & Tina anchoring Weekend Update, the show's absurdist humor quotient at what seemed to me to be a high.....what wasn't to love?

Whoever was in charge in the writing room that year gets a round of applause (from me, at least).

• Love 1

And, of course, they didn't show the one thing I wanted to see.  But I think those ads were a little much for 10 p.m.   But wow, Jimmy Fallon was just painful to watch.

I preferred when Mary Kate and Ashley hosted in 2004. "Eat a sandwich!"

That was a great episode!  Especially that perfume sketch.

(edited)

NBC lists the Sigourney Weaver/Buster Poindexter show from 1986 for this week.

She's chopping broccccoooollllliii...

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

Well if It's A Wonderful Life is on at 7-10, that wouldn't affect anything, right? The vintage episodes come on at 10.

Although, I just checked the NBC website and it says that It's A Wonderful Life is on from 8-11. Maybe it'll vary by affiliate, and some people will get it while others won't?

It seems like nobody at NBC knows what's going on.  It wouldn't be the first scheduling snafu with the vintage episodes.  I'm guessing who ever updated the SNL page on Monday jumped the gun.

• Love 1

Well if It's A Wonderful Life is on at 7-10, that wouldn't affect anything, right? The vintage episodes come on at 10.

Although, I just checked the NBC website and it says that It's A Wonderful Life is on from 8-11. Maybe it'll vary by affiliate, and some people will get it while others won't?

I'm sorry, I meant 7-10 Central time. Forgot convert it to to coasts.

• Love 1

I've given up hope that we will see anything from the non-Lorne years.

Are episodes from the non-Lorne years owned by Broadway Video? This just occurred to me to wonder. Broadway Video is Lorne's company. Unless he retained ownership of the show during the Jean Doumanian and Dick Ebersol years (which seems unlikely), then Broadway Video probably doesn't own those years. And if the deal for reruns that NBC made was a deal made with Broadway Video, it would be impossible for episodes from those seasons to be included.

If NBC owns those years itself, it could certainly run them. But that would mean they'd have to supply the post-production manpower to edit them down to an hour, get music clearances, work out residuals, etc. And they'd probably just as soon not bother with that. The deal with Broadway Video takes that headache off their plate.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 2

Are episodes from the non-Lorne years owned by Broadway Video?

That's a really good question.  I honestly don't know though I would assume NBC retains the right to air them, especially the Ebersol years given that he stayed at the network in other capacities.  I remember they use to include Eddie Murphy's Mister Rogers in the holiday specials.

• Love 1

Comcast could just be lying to me but they are saying that they are showing the William Shatner episode on Saturday!  Which means ---Get a life, the Sweeney Sisters and I believe the alternate ending to Its A Wonderful Life.

Clang clang clang went the trolley!!

• Love 2

They better not edit out the Sweeney Sisters!

There will be rioting if they do!

The NBC website says its William Shatner this Saturday.   I am not a fan of his but that is one of the all time greatest episodes.

• Love 1

The William Shatner episode from 1986 is airing tonight and it's as great as I remember. Besides the famous "Get a Life" Star Trek convention sketch, I love the "lost ending" to It's a Wonderful Life, where George Bailey and the people of Bedford Falls beats Mr. Potter to death!

I really enjoyed that. I've seen the Star Trek convention skit before, but everything else was new to me. Oh, and the Sweeney Sisters. I just love that. It's great that there's not a punchline, but the comedy comes from the characters.

The Enterprise restaurant was hilarious. I loved Phil as Bones, with his constant yelling. So funny when the customer is choking, and Bones says, "Dammit Jim! I'm a doctor not a --- Oh, right." Early on Kevin Nealon had called Bones 'Captain,' which confused for a second until I realized that was his mistake. Dana Carvey as Khan was so good.

The opening skit with the Ollie North song, The Mute Marine, was cracking me up. 

The TJ Hooker skit was ok. I don't think that's withstood the test of time.

And, yes, It's a Wonderful Life was great. I'm surprised I hadn't seen that one before.

• Love 1

The whole episode card stating what year this was from and a little tidbit from this episode didn't make my recording for some reason.

There wasn't a little tidbit for the episode.

The TJ Hooker skit was ok. I don't think that's withstood the test of time.

I remember wondering if kids today even know what TJ Hooker is.  I also thought - wow, Victoria Jackson really was horrible in that and the Star Trek Skit.

I really enjoyed that. I've seen the Star Trek convention skit before, but everything else was new to me. Oh, and the Sweeney Sisters. I just love that. It's great that there's not a punchline, but the comedy comes from the characters.

The Enterprise restaurant was hilarious. I loved Phil as Bones, with his constant yelling. So funny when the customer is choking, and Bones says, "Dammit Jim! I'm a doctor not a --- Oh, right." Early on Kevin Nealon had called Bones 'Captain,' which confused for a second until I realized that was his mistake. Dana Carvey as Khan was so good.

I loved this era of SNL.  This one is before they started adding in the layers of even more funny people.  The core group here shined. Phil Hartman was so awesome in everything he did in this episode, but it was that "Oh, right" that made me pause to think about how great he really was on SNL. (The glare he gave to Spock after the nerve-pinch Heimlich was pretty great as well.)  And freaking Carvey was funny in that skit and great in the Wonderful Life skit.

ETA: I mean, seriously, I am going to go back and look at everything Hartman did.  He said nothing as Ollie North and was still funny.  He was great as the convention organizer both as the excited nerdy guy to start, and then the annoyed nerdy guy who made Shatner reverse course. The Bones stuff was so great I barely even noticed it was Hartman.

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 1

There wasn't a little tidbit for the episode.

I think the tidbit was that Shatner later titled his book "Get a Life" after the convention sketch.  It's on my recording.

I think he had a bad falling out with Lorne.  I remember after Dennis left, he was quite critical of how the show was run and how people got pitted against each other.  He would always use the analogy of ducking for cover in a bunker.

I would not be surprised if Lorne still holds a grudge. 

I thought it was weird that they included both musical performances in this episode and that could be why. I'm no fan of Miller's, but if they don't include any of his WUs at all in the reairings it's going to be noticeable - he anchored for a long time.

Colin Quinn's WU performances should be burned, though. BURNED!

• Love 1
Colin Quinn's WU performances should be burned, though. BURNED!

Ugh, VH1classic is running late 90's episodes with him right now, and I always thought I was too young to appreciate him, but no. His Weekend Update was just straight up terrible.

I asked my husband who he thought was worse, Colin Quinn or Jost/Che. He instantly blurted out "Colin Quinn!" Yes, he really was horrible. Thank God for Tina and Jimmy.

The one thing I will always appreciate about Colin Quinn is what he said when he took over for Norm.  I have no idea if he wrote it himself, but I did think it was a good way to smooth everything over.