Type keyword(s) to search

SNL Classic: Re-Airings, Past Casts, Past Sketches, Past Hosts, the Past

vb68
  • Start Topic

The cruise ship skit was weird. It was like Hanks was doing a cross betw a Wild & Crazy Guy and Jon Lovitz. The voice just didn't work for him. I liked some of the lines, but this wasn't that great.

Hanks and Lovitz had played the losers together several times before, no?  I thought taking the characters to a cruise ship for old people -- and having them strike out even there -- was pretty funny.

• Love 2

Maybe they couldn't show Al for fear of some weird political equal time clause as he's up for re-election.

He was shown in an earlier 40th Anniversary airing but he was playing someone else.  Maybe it makes a difference if he is playing himself or playing a character. When he did the WU appearances, he was himself.  I am sure though with the election next week, he's not upset it wasn't shown - not that he has anything to be worried about but it probably helps not to have it on since he's trying to be the serious Senator for now. 

Heh, or maybe the people deciding what airs hate Dennis Miller so they just didn't want to show him. 

Hanks and Lovitz had played the losers together several times before, no?

Yeah, it was one of the many reoccurring characters that Tom Hanks had on the show.

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 1

Fun fact: Hanks and Lovitz's characters are based on something that happened to Conan O'Brien and Robert Smigel. A couple of girls walked passed them and they whimpered the "goodbye" and one of them suggested that it should be just as smarmy as the "hello."

• Love 3

I am sure though with the election next week, he's not upset it wasn't shown - not that he has anything to be worried about but it probably helps not to have it on since he's trying to be the serious Senator for now. 

My comment verges on the political, so I hope it won't start a firestorm or be against PTV rules, but...to me the marvelous thing about Al Franken is that he has become an actual serious U.S. senator--one of the best of all time, and one of the two best in the current body--without ever stopping being funny.

• Love 7
(edited)

Amy's Palin Rap does it for me.  I thought it was hilarious, and Palin herself sat there like an idiot watching the whole thing.

Lorne said in the Live From NY book  that Tina was scared of any shot with Palin that would look like an actual endorsement.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

Lorne said in the Live From NY book  that Tina was scared of any shot with Palin that would look like an actual endorsement.

Tina mentioned something similar in Bossypants, and then followed it up with a joke about being afraid that when she died, that picture, if it were to exist, would be the one they'd use during the In Memorium segment of the Emmy's that year.

I haven't been able to watch any of the vintage episodes yet, and I probably won't get to watch this one either, which sucks because it's the first one they've shown that I actually remember watching live (and I agree it's not exactly "vintage"). Not only is it the one with Sarah Palin (I can't stand the woman but I still remember being excited about how they were going to handle it) and the Palin rap (God bless you, nine-months pregnant Amy), but it was also my very first exposure to Adele. I remember watching the episode with my dad, and when they cut to Adele during the commercial break, he said something like, "That girl looks terrified." And she did (since she's become more famous she's talked about having awful stage fright). So we were both pleasantly surprised when she blew us out of the water with "Chasing Pavements." It would be cool to relive all that again. Guess I'll make a good effort to finish my homework.

• Love 1

I loved the Rap...that is one of the greatest pieces of satire in the show's history..and even though I am the same political stripe asPalin,  I thought it showed how dumb she was by doing the "hands up" part..like she didn't comprehend that she was being mocked..with her being mocked right there...at that moment(andthe Russia from my house line) made me realize I was NOT going to like the election results either way.

I don't care what anyone says, watching two grown men scream "Fartface!!!" at another grown man until he stomps out of the room in (fake) tears will never not be hilarious to me. And the audience remaining dead silent for 99% of the sketch is just the icing on the cake. I'm so glad they included that in tonight's episode

I prefer Jon Hamm/Coldplay as far as 2008 episodes go, but this one did have the Palin appearance, Amy's rap, Mark Wahlberg and one of Adele's first US TV performances, so it was an understandable choice.

Except for the rap which I'd seen in compilation shows, all the skits were new to me. I loved it. MacGruber was hilarious. I also loved Mark Wahlberg's bit. I went and found the skit that Andy did as him (talking to animals), and that was so funny. And, yes, Fartface was hysterical. It was weird that the audience wasn't amused. I thought Josh Brolin was really good, too.

Oh, and it was nice seeing Adele early in her career. 

Great show.

I hope that we get to see some really old episodes like ones from the Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Christopher Guest, or Eddie Murphy years. But I'm guessing that there is no way that we are seeing any episodes from the non Lorne years.

I hope that we get to see some really old episodes like ones from the Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Christopher Guest, or Eddie Murphy years. But I'm guessing that there is no way that we are seeing any episodes from the non Lorne years.

According to the original announcement:

NBC will air one classic show from each of the last 40 years at 10 p.m. ET/PT starting Saturday, September 27.

So theoretically Jean Doumanian should get one episode and Dick Ebersol, what, four?

So theoretically Jean Doumanian should get one episode and Dick Ebersol, what, four?

I'll believe that when it happens.

I guess they could try and lure Eddie to the 40th Anniversary Show in February by showing some shows, but I really don't see it working.

• Love 2

The next one sounds like an interesting choice.   I don't know anything about it without looking it up.

November 8: Rick Nelson/Judy Collins (February 17, 1979)

Interesting...I  loved the Twilight Zone sketch and was impressed with Ricky giving it his all..although his singing seemed a bit off(drugs maybe?)..

I found the point/counterpoint part the best....as that will never fail to make me laugh..and I swear Dan Akroyd's persona seems to be a distant relative to Stephen Colbert's persona..

The most surreal moment was in the Concert against yeast sketch..

Seeing Rick Nelson in between Bob Marley and Elvii made me sad as all of them are dead now..

I may not have laughed as much as the "vintage" one from the 90's or even the one from '08 but what I like is that it seemed almost daring and not dull..compared to what airs at it's regular time slot.

Edited by stonehaven
  • Love 1

I didn't know it was the Rick Nelson episode tonight until I was channel surfing and caught the intro.  Great to see Gilda, Belushi, Rick Nelson, but so sad to realize they are all gone.  Love Paul Shaffer's long dark hair.  Not the funniest skits, but I remember it fondly from my young adult years, when it was a toss-up between going out dancing and staying in to watch SNL.  I do love Candy Slice.

Edited by clarkbar
  • Love 2

I love Candy Slice as well.  it's interesting that they didn't bleep out "I'm your biggest fucked up fan", and it's not like she only said it once, either.   I wonder why they let that go.

Closed captioning had it as "your biggest FUNKED up fan" each time she sang it.  When I saw that I paid attention to what she was singing, and it sounded and looked like Gilda was trying REALLY hard to make sure it came out as "funked".

• Love 1

I listened to it again, and I think you are correct.  That worked pretty well as I'm proof that if you don't listen close enough, you might not catch that subtle difference.

Ah. I was sure it was "fucked up" too, but listening to it again I can definitely hear "funked."

I really enjoyed this ep. The radio station and barber shop sketches weren't hilarious, but there was something charming and fun -- and funny -- about them. I don't know if I can explain it. Good characterizations I guess. 

Loved Point/Counterpoint. "Jane, you ignorant slut" never gets old.

I also liked the "Who Is More Macho?" sketch. So funny that they did it all in Spanish, aside from Eliot Ness.

Candy Slice was great.

Who would have thought in Feb., 1979 that Mick Jagger would still be performing in 2014?  He was already an "old man" of 35 back then.  Wish we'd gotten one of Judy Collins's songs.   Anyone remember what she sang?

¿Quien Es Mas Macho?  was truly inspired.  So wonderfully deadpan.

• Love 1

I haven't watched the episode from this week.  I would have preferred seeing Drew Barrymore's first show from 1982 when she was seven.  Now that would had been interesting!

That is probably a sign, even if they suggested otherwise, that we won't be getting any shows outside of the Lorne era.

Edited by vb68

I don't think I've seen any of the shows Drew hosted. I thought she did a really good job. Many times she didn't even seem to be reading cue cards. But more importantly, she was funny. I thought she was really good as the nervous interviewee. I also liked her in the 80's exercise video. The counseling session where she has been poisoning her husband was good, too.

I enjoyed the Dakota Fanning Show sketch. 

Was this the first time for the Target lady sketch?

Jane Curtain's WU slays me.

I think I laughed more at her WU than I have at all for the current season's. 

mainly to see them duet on "Homeward Bound" and "Here Comes The Sun"..

That was beautiful. 

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 4

Just watching a few of these classics makes the current SNL look so lame, IMO.  I haven't watched SNL in quite a few years...too awful (altho' I check in every once in a while to see if I'm missing something...doesn't take too long to see that I'm not).  There must be some good writers around who could create hilarious sketches today.  Probably Lorne needs to be "retired" in order for this show to ever improve.

Someone made a comment about Jimmy Fallon breaking out of character frequently, wondering if he did it on purpose.  It truly was irritating whenever he'd do that and now I'm wondering as well if it was a way to focus attention on himself.

According to Comcast, this week's vintage episode will be Ben Affleck/N.E.R.D from 2004. I don't recall seeing this one when it aired. From this transcript, I'm not understanding what makes it worth re-airing at this time...

After watching it, I still have no idea. How bad were the other 2004 episodes?

• Love 1

According to Comcast, this week's vintage episode will be Ben Affleck/N.E.R.D from 2004.  I don't recall seeing this one when it aired.  From this transcript, I'm not understanding what makes it worth re-airing at this time...

Pharrell Williams was part of N.E.R.D.?

I don't know how they're picking them, but I thought this was a pretty good episode. Ben absolutely lambasting himself in the monologue re Bennifer; Ben playing Sully and Zazu's friend who gets gay married (and we are close to the tenth anniversary of legal gay marriage in Massachusetts); world's best Bill Clinton appearance on Update; and the aforementioned Frondi sketch. Not so bad IMO.

Pharrell Williams was part of N.E.R.D.?

That was definitely the most interesting part to me.  I was all, "Oh, hi young(er) Pharrell."    I think that played a part in this re-airing. 

I also really enjoyed seeing a Tina and Jimmy era Update.  It was so well written.  Tina picking up an ugly meatloaf for a Martha Stewart joke was  great.  Tina  could sell anything and  make it sound witty and smart.  It's just another example of how far the current Update has fallen.   

Edited by vb68