Type keyword(s) to search

SNL Classic: Re-Airings, Past Casts, Past Sketches, Past Hosts, the Past

vb68
  • Start Topic

I do understand that this is incredibly morbid and probably in bad taste...but all I could think it the final goodbye sequence for Wiig was that they were getting the required clip for a hypothetical memorial episode just in case Wiig passed prematurely.  Its was the dancing + goodbye +Steve Martin.

Like that episode of 30 Rock about how they pre-write obit pieces for celebrities just in case.

Edited by ParadoxLost

Have we ever determined what was going on with Jason Sudekis that night?  I mean she did have some emotional dancing with Bill Hader and a few other cast members but he just seemed so sad at the end and wasn't singing along. 

And I didn't realize that was Andy's last show as well.  Considering what he's done with the digital shorts during his time on the show, he should have gotten a better send off (Lazy Sunday part 2 aside.) 

• Love 1

Have we ever determined what was going on with Jason Sudekis that night? I mean she did have some emotional dancing with Bill Hader and a few other cast members but he just seemed so sad at the end and wasn't singing along.

And I didn't realize that was Andy's last show as well. Considering what he's done with the digital shorts during his time on the show, he should have gotten a better send off (Lazy Sunday part 2 aside.)

I believe that it was still up in the air on whether or not it was going to be Jason's last show as well (ultimately, it wasn't), and I believe he's close with both Kristen and Andy, so it was probably an emotional night.

And I said it before on TWOP, but while Kristen got the huge send off that night, l have always thought it was Andy that had the much bigger impact on the show - those digitial shorts got huge buzz for the show, netted the first Emmy for the show in a little bit, and made SNL an online presence (I remember an interview with him once where he, in so many words, said that he and the rest of the Lonely Island guys had to convince NBC why it would be a good idea to have the digital shorts available on the Internet)

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 1

It seemed like the prior episode was sort of Samberg's sendoff.  I recall he had a few of his characters (what few there really were) in sketches plus the 100th digital short brought back literally all the video characters.

So, Carrey would've auditioned for the 85-86 season for the Downey/Anthony Michael Hall/Joan Cusack cast, or he auditioned for the 86-87 cast?  I can see him standing out in that drab 85-86 year and maybe he survives the cast purge with Lovitz, Dunn, and Miller.  But it's really weird thinking of Carrey in the cast with the 86-87 group...his manic style doesn't seem to mesh at all with the more old-school vibe of Hartman, Hooks, etc.  Carvey was the "crazy guy" in that cast and he's really subdued compared to Carrey.

Poor new guy Bill Murray isn't getting much to do yet. In one sketch he played a cop and got a line, but the camera was on Aykroyd the whole time. Of course his breakout character would be a loud energetic lounge singer.

Ironically, Murray's breakout came in a Weekend Update bit where he played himself and said he didn't think he was doing well on the show.

Edited by Trick Question
  • Love 1

I just found out country singer Lynn Anderson died just a few months ago. I immediately remembered Amy Poehler playing her in that "Country Roses" sketch from the Jennifer Aniston from 2004, singing "I beg your pardon/I never promised you a rose garden"!

I would love it if they picked the episode when Robin Williams hosted for one of the vintage reruns. I loved the skit where Dana Carvey played RW while the real RW played his dad. I loved that he was able to make fun of his own comedy style.

• Love 1

Since when is Comedy Central playing SNL reruns?  I go from my DVR to live to seeing the Drake episode from a few years ago. (Actually I hear what I assume is the news, since I'm not paying attention, and think "Didn't SNL do a joke meth dealers selling blue meth like on Breaking Bad?")  I hope they dig a little deeper into the vault, and play some 80's and 90's episodes.

Speaking of 90s episodes, tomorrow night's classic episode is the Michael Jordan ep from 1991.  I remember enjoying that one.

Edited by ajsnaves
Since when is Comedy Central playing SNL reruns?  I go from my DVR to live to seeing the Drake episode from a few years ago. (Actually I hear what I assume is the news, since I'm not paying attention, and think "Didn't SNL do a joke meth dealers selling blue meth like on Breaking Bad?")  I hope they dig a little deeper into the vault, and play some 80's and 90's episodes.

When Comedy Central had the rights to SNL last (up until the early 2000s, I think), they used to play a really good mix of episodes (then E! grabbed the rights and only played recent seasons.) This was before they had a lot of their own original programming, so I doubt they'll play it as regularly as they used to, but back then there'd be a marathon almost every weekend.

I was thinking it had something to do with VH1 making us go cold turkey on their re-runs...

EEEEEE!!! So excited on the MJ episode tonight!! It shows how little life I have that I was SUPER ticked my DVR didn't pick up the Halloween special they aired last week (while watching one of the episode on my DVR, saw the start), and that NBC decided to sike us out by playing a vintage episode when there was a rain delay (found out on this thread the next day).

**crawls back into Canteen Boy's sleeping bag**

edited to add: just checked dvr, and VH1 will re-play Halloween episode Nov 1st at 1:30am!

Edited by punkypower
  • Love 3

I loved when Stuart has Micheal Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley. Every so often to prove how much in love they are, Lisa Marie would say to Micheal "Yum. Yum. Gimmie some."

I remember that. LMAO. Also, ew.

I enjoyed seeing the Halloween special last Saturday, but I wish they had some of the older Halloween stuff, like the WU segment where Adam Sandler came up with cheap costume ideas or when Ross Perot was dealing with trick or treaters and got his house egged. Those were funny.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1

Ooh this was the one with Samurai Stockbroker where Belushi accidentally cut Buck Henry's head with the sword. And would you believe Belushi's doctor, who happened to be in the audience that night, assisted right after it happened.

• Love 2

Love this episode and the proliferation of band-aids and bandages on all cast members as the episode proceeds! 

ETA:  The teddy bear with the band-aid!

Edited by jjj
  • Love 3

Looks like the episode from 2/17/90, with Aerosmith. Opened with a classic sketch--Phil Hartman as Donald Trump and Jan Hooks as Ivana! :(

Dammit I can't believe I missed that one!  I think that may have been the first episode of SNL I ever watched.  (Or at least the one that had Sabra Price is Right.   Years later I still crack up at the thought of it.) 

• Love 1

On October 18, the Kennedy Center honored Eddie Murphy with the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor.  The broadcast is scheduled for Sunday, Nov. 23 at 9e/8c.  Check your local PBS listings.

PTV discussion thread here.

Edited by Inquisitionist

I remember seeing that Eric Idle episode live (though I too had forgotten about the poodle hair!). It holds up pretty well, particularly the Candi Slice sketch, which made me laugh myself sick. Gilda was so talented. When it came to physical comedy, she really had no peer.

As an aside, this ep aired at a pretty turbulent time, on Dec. 9, 1978. The Jonestown suicides had just taken place on Nov. 18, followed by the assassinations of Harvey Milk and George Moscone on Nov. 27. 

• Love 1

I guess they thought it would be better to air it on Thanksgiving weekend, since it was a Thanksgiving show. And whatever you feel about Anne Hathaway, it was a funny episode. The Princess Kate skit was hilarious, but it was Anne's dead on impression of Katie Holmes that had me in stitches.

Good Christmas special the other night. Even though it was just on a couple of weeks ago, that John Malkovich reading to the kids sketch was still funny. Those kids were perfect; the sketch wouldn't be nearly as good without their bored, expectant faces. Their looks in reaction to his insanity was gold.

And the Schweddy Balls sketch. It never gets old. I hadn't seen it in a while and forgot how funny it is from beginning to end. The opening conversation the Delicious Dish ladies have is hilarious, I was weak from laughter before Pete Schweddy even arrived. Then he did, and it got even funnier. Such a classic sketch, one of my all-time top five favorites, for sure.

And then there was Twin Bed! Another hilarious, timeless bit. All in all, a really good special and a nice reminder of just how much great Christmas material SNL has delivered over the years.

• Love 1

And then there was Twin Bed! Another hilarious, timeless bit. All in all, a really good special and a nice reminder of just how much great Christmas material SNL has delivered over the years.

Squee!  Twin Bed is just the best--I always have to watch it at least twice.

One of my friends left her small hometown and went on to become quite cosmopolitan, but her bedroom remained sealed in amber from high school, circa '75--record player, cheerleader poms, pageant sash.  When I see that skit, I always get a huge kick thinking of her taking her latest Eurohusband home to visit.

It's fun seeing Timberlake being so seriously committed to Dick In A Box, but Twin Bed is my favorite (and features the women, yay.)

• Love 1

Natalie Cole died at the age of 65 which is too young. Unfortunately when I think of her I can't help remembering the early 90s SNL sketch "Unforgivable" with Ellen Cleghorne as Natalie singing with other famous dead singers! My favorite is Tammy Wynette(Melanie Hutsell) who points out "Hey! I am NOT dead!" Natalie is just singing "Stand By Your Man" and repeating everything Tammy is saying like "This is how rumors get started! Cut it out bitch!"

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

I thought of that sketch,too. Chris Farley as Cass Elliott, Rob Schneider as Judy Garland (!).

And yes..65 too young.10 years older than me...Tammys gone now,too.

Edited by lou ann b
  • Love 1

No, Mike Myers was Judy Garland(and surprisingly had the legs to do it). Rob Schneider played "Young Elvis" singing "It's Now or Never" and later they had John Goodman as "the older, fatter Elvis" singing "In the Ghetto"!

• Love 1