Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E04: The Jimmy Jab Games II

• Start Topic

What the hell Debbie?! Gah, should've known something was up with her!

This was hilarious. Boyle going all Greatest Showman to run the games was priceless, as was Amy injecting Jake with speed to win.

Poor Rosa getting dumped. But she bonded with Holt over heavy metal! Wow there's something I never thought I'd type.

• Love 12

"Why does the ceiling hate me?"

I thought that Amy would have kept herself in the race, since Jake was already in bad shape, but she really does get him. 

The next time I try to sing, I'm going to remember that what I'm hearing is the total silence of people reeling from the performance of a lifetime. 

• LOL 15
  • Love 7
56 minutes ago, Mystery said:

"Why does the ceiling hate me?"

I thought that Amy would have kept herself in the race, since Jake was already in bad shape, but she really does get him. 

The next time I try to sing, I'm going to remember that what I'm hearing is the total silence of people reeling from the performance of a lifetime. 

Also that the more you sing, the louder you'll get.

Man, Joe Lo Truglio is on fire this season. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 11

Lots of good jokes, but I didn't feel invested in the outcome of the games, which felt odd for a B99 plot. Strange, I can't totally out my finger on what it was.

I did enjoy the more involved Hitchcock subplot. I thought he carried the load well.

• Love 6

I'm sad for Rosa but honestly, she is better off without Jocelyn. Since the episode where she said Rosa prioritized her job over her (in the middle of an investigation no less), I stopped liking her.

Gina Rodriguez should return and be her girlfriend.

• Love 20

Dam, the Jimmy Jab Games!  It's been a while since they've pulled that one out, right?  It was pretty fun, even though I figured Jake was winning, because I just couldn't see him and Amy actually losing their car and there not being major repercussions over it.  Definitely foolish and reckless of Jake, but I did like that it wasn't all ego and wanting to keep his immature act up, but he was thinking that if Hitchcock did all of his paperwork for a year, he could have more time with the baby, if he and Amy are successful.  All in all, I do think the show has done a great job at Jake still being on the immature side of things a lot of ways, but he clearly has grown on a lot of other levels as well.

Of course, Boyle would be all about The Greatest Showman.  Can't say I was a massive fan of it, but that would fit right in Boyle's wheelhouse!

Holt and Rosa are always great together, and they were no exception here.  And while I still obviously want him to regain his status, I continue to like how the dynamics have changed with Holt being "part of the squad" now, instead of their boss.

Amy/Melissa Fumero inadvertently doing a "pegging" motion was a sight to behold!

Love that Debbie wasn't an one-off character, and was not only back tonight, but seems to be set up to play a major role in the next episode.  I guess this will end up having something to do with her murdered sister? 

• Love 8

My favorite thing about this season so far is how much presence they give to Charles after he was often ignored last season. He is so much fun, and I noticed that they portray Jake in this loser-ish light from time to time (like when he inadvertently made a dirty sounding statement in the episode where Boyle had that cool jacket and Boyle called him out on it). The slight change of dynamic is really entertaining and I feel the actor sells it well.

• Love 11

Awww, the Raymond/Rosa pairing is so adorable! Holt is such a good friend.

Loved Charles and his G-rated version of the Master of Ceremonies!

It's too bad about Debbie, I was already fond of her. Such a shame that she'll apparently be leaving in disgrace. We never even got to see her do cone duty! 

• Love 5

Sometimes Boyle is a little too over the top and this was one of those times.

I couldn't make out what Jake said to Amy when she switched places with him in the elevator. It sounded like "You Armageddoned me" but I don't get the reference. Saw the movie long ago.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Sometimes Boyle is a little too over the top and this was one of those times.

I couldn't make out what Jake said to Amy when she switched places with him in the elevator. It sounded like "You Armageddoned me" but I don't get the reference. Saw the movie long ago.

Spoilers for Armageddon (just to be safe!)

Spoiler

I'm guessing it was a reference to the very end, when Ben Affleck drew the short straw to sacrifice himself and stay on the astroid, but then at the last minute Bruce Willis threw him back into the airlock and did it himself.

Of course, Jake would be the best person to ask about that, since I'm sure he has all Bruce Willis films memorized perfectly at this point!

• Useful 2
  • Love 8

Okay, so I love that Jake didn't even attempt to run the Jimmie Jab Games behind Terry and Amy's backs. And I love that Terry and Amy completely undercut Jake's attempt to be a rebellious class clown.

Interesting that Jake feels like he's getting boring and mature. There's definitely something in that - the kind of melancholy of having to worry about adult things and not having time to prat around any more. But then Amy thinks it'll be a good idea to inject him with an epi pen, so they don't lose their car. I guess there's still plenty of immature foolishness to go around, in that relationship.

Also, holy shit, a joke about pegging? That's one that I'm sure they didn't want to explain to the network.

Of course Charles is a fan of The Greatest Showman. How could he not be? I'll be honest, the act got old right around the elevator challenge.

It looks like the Jimmie Jab Games bring out the same Holt that the Halloween Heists do. Except this time, he's Patrolman Holt, so he's even more reckless. Hell, he was planning on eating a donut! And now he's a hacker!

Holt and Rosa ended up being really sweet, which they often are. I don't mind Jocelyn being out of the picture, because I didn't really like the actress and I want to see them get some more high profile guest stars for Rosa to date - male or female.

That twist at the end was definitely unexpected. Damn. Debbie just got a lot more interesting.

• Love 4
On 2/21/2020 at 3:57 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Holt and Rosa are always great together, and they were no exception here.  And while I still obviously want him to regain his status, I continue to like how the dynamics have changed with Holt being "part of the squad" now, instead of their boss.

I think my favorite part was Rosa’s dig at Holt being a uniformed cop. Burn!

• Love 9

Debbie! Gasp! What have you done?! Does this have something to do with her murdered twin sister, or has Debbie broken bad?! Someone check on that step counting app! 

I thought the whole plot with Jake dealing with actually growing up was really good and relatable and lines up with his character development as the show has gone on. He really has matured a lot over the course of the show, but it makes sense that when it was pointed out, it would become "real" and he would freak out a little bit and get nostalgic for his wacky immature days. There can be something sad about realizing that your finally dealing with adult things and settling down and that you've become a "boring" adult and have to leave behind the "fun" things you used to do. Luckily he has Amy though, who even when she is annoyed with him, still totally gets what is going on with him and is always going to support him, and reminding him that he can still be his fun, movie quoting goofy self, but also be a responsible adult who is a husband and wants to be a father.

Charles was really in his element! Music, showmanship, and costume changes that were not exactly pulled off. 

I am sad for Rosa...but now Gina Rodriguez can come back and start dating her right?! I loved her and Holt getting all competitive, with their obviously amazing trash talk. "I know your amazing with comebacks!" 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 2/22/2020 at 4:57 PM, Danny Franks said:

Of course Charles is a fan of The Greatest Showman. How could he not be? I'll be honest, the act got old right around the elevator challenge.

Agreed.  It seemed to interfere with the scrappy feel of the games.  Too slick and, imo, not very funny....

...Except the looks on Jake's and Amy's face when they got a glimpse of full frontal Charles.  I legit howled at their expressions and upon learning Charles is hung.  LOL.

I also liked all the various officers standing around just watching.  Felt real.

Finally, I am hoping that whatever Debbie is doing is related to bringing down the person who murdered her sister.  She didn't give me villain vibes, but someone who, getting pepped talked to death by Charles, finally decided to do what she joined the force for.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 5
33 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Finally, I am hoping that whatever Debbie is doing is related to bringing down the person who murdered her sister.  She didn't give me villain vibes, but someone who, getting pepped talked to death by Charles, finally decided to do what she joined the force for.

Same. I definitely got a different, non-evil vibe from her, especially with how cheery she was at the end when she stole from the evidence locker. I'm curious to see how it plays out.

I really did enjoy this episode. I enjoyed seeing more Charles, especially with him being more toned down than usual. I liked seeing him run the games. It felt very in character for him to play as the Greatest Showman, and he did an excellent job with Debbie.

The Jake/Hitchcock stuff wasn't bad. Seeing Jake's POV about the games was great, especially with how supportive Amy was.

Rosa/Holt was great. I feel bad that Rosa/Jocelyn broke up but, at the same time, I didn't really like Jocelyn in her last appearance so I'm glad Rosa can go find someone new. Or, yeah, just bring back Gina Rodriguez. They don't need her very often, since I know the actress is busy. Just bring her by once in a while!

• Love 3

I'd second (or third) that Charles's routine got a little old as this went on...but at the same time, on sort of a meta-level...I know people like that who would stage a 45 minute event for a five minute project. (I may have lived in a music/theater dorm at one point...) 

So the joke that it wasn't really funny but just never ended, and the friends all sort of weathered it? Been there. Still have several of the stage crew tee shirts. 

• Love 5

It was so weird seeing Hitchcock be competent. He even looked different. Scully toolbox full of pills was impressive. And scary.

I love Charles (and Joe). The whole Greatest Showman was excellent.

I was fond of Debbie before, and the twist was a big surprise. I thought she was just going to quit the force and try to do Broadway musicals or something. It'll be fun to find out what's up with her.

"I'm antidextrous. It's when neither hand is good at anything."

Charles: Trust me.
Debbie: Ok. But only because I trust everyone.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 6:59 PM, Court said:

I legit laughed out loud several times this episode. It's definitely one of my favorite episodes. 

"I'm a mop!" and "It's okay, my ribs and bones broke my fall" had me rolling.

Rosa/Holt is always a great dynamic, and somehow there's a always a little surprise there.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Sandman said:

"I'm a mop!" and "It's okay, my ribs and bones broke my fall" had me rolling.

Rosa/Holt is always a great dynamic, and somehow there's a always a little surprise there.

Holt hated the music, but stayed anyway for Rosa.

• Love 4

I REALLY REALLY hope that introducing a kid into the show won't ruin it. A baby can really make a hit show "jump the shark" and I've seen it happen so many times before.

I hope the writers will tread carefully because I love this show and find it hilarious.

I am also getting sick of Rosa's love life. It's boring...move on.

• Love 3
On 2/21/2020 at 4:57 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Of course, Boyle would be all about The Greatest Showman.  Can't say I was a massive fan of it, but that would fit right in Boyle's wheelhouse!

It is also a movie musical from 2017. I am not sure what is funnier: that Boyle just discovered and for super into it recently, or that he has been super into it since it came out and been talking about it for the last 3 years just never on camera. Both work with his character.

On 2/22/2020 at 4:57 PM, Danny Franks said:

Okay, so I love that Jake didn't even attempt to run the Jimmie Jab Games behind Terry and Amy's backs. 

I loved how they didn't even bother trying to explain what the Jimmy Jab games are or why they are called that. Because really at this point in season 7, there probably aren't too many people who are watching this episode who haven't seen the first one. But a lot of weaker shows would have had a couple of lines where someone gives Debbie the whole backstory.

• Love 1

OK, loving Debbie. Though maybe Charles shouldn't have imbued her with quite so much self confidence...

Glad they remembered the "appropriate" ceremonies surrounding the Jimmy Jabs (both the lighting of the bagel/bagette and Scully singing)

"Why does the ceiling hate me!?" A question I'm sure we've all asked.

On 2/21/2020 at 5:34 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Of course Boyle is hung.

I don't believe this would be news to Jake. Aside from Charles' general oversharing nature and how much they hang out together (they must have visited the men's room at the same time at some point), didn't Boyle get naked in the Evidence Room at one point? It was a plot point to "highlight" the usefulness of Bodycams, IIRC.

• Love 2