Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Joyce's Story

• Start Topic

Joyce needs home health care 24/7 and hasn't left the house in 3 years. But getting to Dr. Now in Houston is just the first step, and when he prescribes therapy where Joyce must revisit an unhappy past with her mom, it might be more than she can handle. 

My prediction if Lola is involved:

She's writing a letter to Mommy, 
Her address is somewhere, who knows?
I've written "Dear Mommy, I hate you
And blame you for all of my woes"

Instead of a stamp, I put greases
The postman says that's worst to do
I've written a letter to Mommy
Saying "I loathe you"

I've written a letter to Mommy
Saying "I loathe you"

[For those of you familiar with the song, sorry, not sorry, for the earworm! The kitty is cruel today.  Bwahahaha!!!!]

This is the regular episode thread. It will open after the US East Coast showing. 

Original  air date 2020.02.12

• LOL 21
  • Love 3

I bet Mommy and Dawn were sharing the good stuff.   They both looked stoned through the entire episode.   Mommy certainly was calm when Lola and Dawn called her out 

I bet the mysterious disappearing hair dye was because Joyce couldn't go to a regular salon, so Mom just used the 21 day wash out kind, and it disappeared quickly, or the spray in stuff.  

I don't believe a word Joyce said.    When she claimed she gained 60 lbs from sitting up in the transport to Dr. Now's office, she showed exactly what kind of liar she is.     I don't believe the 'abuse' either.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Applause 1
  • Love 22

Sorry I missed out on the live chat! I managed to catch only about 30 minutes of Joyce and that's about enough for me.

The denial is real, people!  Not only for Joyce but Dawn and her Mom.  The 3 of them sitting around with NOT ONE WORD SPOKEN said it all.  Dawn & Mom seemed so happy Joyce managed to walk through the sliding door and sit down on the patio.  This seems to be the extent of Joyce's exercise regimen.  Seriously???

Think Joyce has probably found some medical transport back to KC - she's not in Houston anymore.  And speaking for my hometown... THANK YOU! BYEEEEEE!

• LOL 10
  • Love 13
1 minute ago, OlyBinewski said:

Elephant in the room.....opiates.  No one is having normal emotions!

The first words out of her mouth to Dr Now was that she was in pain. Sounds like she wanted a prescription.

Dr Now was probably delighted she left. She was so non compliant, she was just a waste of time. If they do a WATN, she will be above her starting weight, or dead.

• Useful 4
  • Love 18

Just for fun:  the last ad I got on Live Chat was a full size 53' ATF moving van, back open, ramp down.  "Only pay for the space you need".  Apropos of Joyce and her transport issues.

Don't know how to cut-and-paste, but had a chuckle.  Thanks peeps for a fun chat!

Edited by Carboncat
misspelling
  • LOL 13
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Joyce's victory lap, er, 6 foot walk to the patio during which she stepped over a half inch threshold reminded me of Monty Python's Upper Class Twit of the Year event, the matchbook jump. 

python twit.jpg

My victory walk did look a bit like Monty Python's Ministry of Silly Walks. It was a back injury though, not fat. 

• Love 9

Points to Mama Joyce for the preparation of what actually looked like yummy homemade lasagna. For the most part, the crap these folks eat does not appear to be worth the shoveling. But other than the family-of-twelve portion size, that looked good.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
Just now, IvySpice said:

Points to Mama Joyce for the preparation of what actually looked like yummy homemade lasagna. For the most part, the crap these folks eat does not appear to be worth the shoveling. But other than the family-of-twelve portion size, that looked good.

Oh yeah, learning that food can be tasty without all of the calories is a big part of losing weight.  Is certain one portion of that lasagna was full of flavor, so you don't need to eat the entire thing.

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, nokat said:

It's just starting on the west coast, will go to the regular thread. 

Here the cable channels air programs at East Coast time, so I join it at 5:00.  Can't seem to get West Coast chat, but no matter, I love Live Chat with my East Coast and Midwest/South pals!

(It's weird when we visit New Jersey.."Morning Joe" etc.. starts at 3:00 am out here...I should be in the shower etc. before it's over, not 9:00 am!)

• Love 2

Poor Lola was so visibly disgusted by Joyce’s thing hanging down and what looked like some sort of sanitary pad attached to it. 

So much pixelation. You would have thought they could have covered her up a little more, for her sake and that of the medics. 

For crying out loud how high was her friend in the one hospital scene? I thought she was praying but she just couldn’t keep her eyes open!

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
4 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

Poor Lola was so visibly disgusted by Joyce’s thing hanging down and what looked like some sort of sanitary pad attached to it.

Thank you for tonight's nightmare. 

• LOL 18
  • Love 1

There comes a point, a certain weight, where you are no longer anything to society, merely a blob with a mouth.  It's best if she just dies in her sleep.

Poor Dawn.  What was she holding in the first scene? She reached up into Joyce's crotch area (they blurred it out) and held something while Joyce moved to her bedside shitter.

It's no wonder she can't breathe.  Can you imagine having all that weight on your chest/lungs?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 9
11 minutes ago, Honey said:

There comes a point, a certain weight, where you are no longer anything to society, merely a blob with a mouth.  It's best if she just dies in her sleep.

Poor Dawn.  What was she holding in the first scene? She reached up into Joyce's crotch area (they blurred it out) and held something while Joyce moved to her bedside shitter.

It's no wonder she can't breathe.  Can you imagine having all that weight on your chest/lungs?

I started watching this show, as a skinny person, late nite on the couch, captivated by the struggles, and, yes redemption, of these obese folks.  We can most of us relate to suffering, struggle, and redemption.  And, no" Law and Order is "NOT on24/7 and "Hoarders" started to creep me out.  When somebody described their son's room as a "Bomb went off in a thrift store" I lost interest.

BTW son moved out 2 years ago, is engaged and room is now "Cat Room"  with litter boxes, food stations, cat tree, and Mommy's futon/couch and TV.

I don't know why font changed,  Amber cat totally messed up n key and now font.  Have to press n twice.

There is no redemption with Joyce, no struggle to lose weight, no idea of what a real life is at all.  It is so snarkworthy, and so sad.  Why even waste time with these lost souls who have no desire to even be ambulatory?

I use to cheer pounticipants  who fit into stylish clothes, dated, and found joy.  What's happened?  Month 12 and Joyce makes it out to the porch?  WTF (rigg)?

• Love 17
2 minutes ago, nokat said:

I can relate to the struggle, but not the fat, but just walking, taking a shower. Nothing to do with fat, but an accident. The taking all of your energy to do simple things. It's why I can relate to the shower makes you want to collapse. But then I don't want to eat four pizzas after.

It sounds so totally exhausting, to eat like that.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, nokat said:

Oh no, I can't watch this. I'm out.

Yes indeed, awful isn't she? Already saw this during the Live Chat but just peeked at the repeat just in time for her "emergency" visit where she told Dr. Now that she thought she was dying/having a heart attack and she's relieved when he tells her she's fine. It's also when he tells her that she already knew she was okay and that she was basically full shit.

Of course, in her opinion, he's being unfair and she's just glad that there was nothing seriously wrong with her. Yeah, nothing wrong with you unless you count being a 4'"11, 44 year old woman who maxed out at 758 pounds. Other than that..............

• Applause 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 14

Just finished watching. Who knew Penny had an identical twin. 

I kept waiting for Doctor Now to ream the enablers.

when she was preparing to move to Houston and kept talking about how Dawn and mom didn’t want her to go, all I could think was, Why did they feed you into this state? If they hadn’t, you could avoid all the “pain.”

god, she was annoying. And I’m so bummed I missed the live chat because I needed someplace to vent while watching. 

this is one case where Lola probably SHOULD have had her write a letter to Mommy. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10

Joyce is harder to look at  then Stephen Assante's legs and she looks like she's 74, not 44.

Why do they all eat on paper plates, seems like it would be more cost effective for them to 'invest' in real dishes. I suppose it could be because they're too immoble to wash dishes but most ususally have enablers to clear after them anyways.

• Love 12
1 minute ago, sara1025 said:

I also wondered about the paper plates. I then wondered what brand they were, because the fact that they stayed intact with nearly 20 lbs of food on them was really quite remarkable.

Lasagna is an expensive entree to make with all that cheese not to mention the calories. It's just mind boggling the mother would serve her such a huge portion AND garlic bread.  Maybe Dawn and the mom took out a life insurance policy on her and killing her off with the fattiest foods possible.

• Useful 6
  • LOL 6
  • Love 10

Joyce will get bigger and bigger as a way punish her mom until the end of time - I guess for abandoning her for a new hubby. (I would be resentful too, but I hope not self-destructive). Dawn and mom will continue to feed Joyce’s addiction for reasons I cannot fathom.  Is Dawn afraid of not having a job if she quits enabling and Joyce actually loses weight (you know, somewhere in an alternate universe)? 

If mom was so outraged when Joyce started getting big when a child, what turned her into a feeder? 

I can’t help it; I love Lola. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Useful 1
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Yes indeed, awful isn't she?

But not "grab the snacks, 'cause I don't want to miss a minute of this shitfest" awful, boring awful, like sad sack Melissa's third update awful.
Before she left KS, or when she first got to Houston, wasn't she walking outside?  When did she regress.
We never saw much of what she ate in Houston, except what looked like a pudding cup, and that dish with salad things cooked with sausage.
Why no dietician?

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

My God  Joyce is 4 11 and as big as a large lounge chair .How many months in Texas and never thought to go set outside ? or Open the sliding doors ?  Delusional people.. thinking she made progress .

Edited by AVM
  • Love 13
4 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Yeah, nothing wrong with you unless you count being a 4'"11, 44 year old woman who maxed out at 758 pounds. Other than that..............

Is happy you watched for me, because good lord and butter, that weight at that height? I started watching, and thought no, this one is just going to be depressing. Live chat was about ten pages after the first hour, so I knew it was going to be a train wreck.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, sara1025 said:

I also wondered about the paper plates. I then wondered what brand they were, because the fact that they stayed intact with nearly 20 lbs of food on them was really quite remarkable.

I recognized the plate from Aldi. I have some!

• Useful 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3

I have some really sturdy paper plates, but they are meant for a barbecue, not daily use. You can stack on some ribs and potato salad. But what am I thinking, joyce could probably put an entire cow on one.

• LOL 12
  • Love 2

I'm confused. Why did we not see a calling out of her enabler (Dawn)? Why was there no insight about what she was actually eating?   The one thing we saw was a demure "egg white omelet with peppers" but the serving size looked massive, and I saw sausage in it in the close up. My TV is big.  I wondered why Dawn and "Joyce Mom" (did she have a name? how demeaning) just sat around in the apartment staring into space, but duh drugs.  

For once, I watched the therapy scene, to see Joyce confront her mom and then.... waaaah waaaah (sad trumpet noise)... utterly useless.  If Lola had called me "Joyce Mom" (insert my child's name), I would have been all, "my name is Dahling, mmmkay?"

Dr. Now has probably heard it before, but "my body can't lose weight on 1200 calories" was a new one to me.  That goes right next to the "the surgery didn't work" bingo square. He dealt with it with aplomb, but I don't see how he manages to deal with these people day in and day out without the occasional f-bomb. Maybe he saves them for when the cameras are off. Or maybe he's actually a saint. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 16

So, do we know if Joyce has moved back to Kansas?

We know she won't go anywhere without medical transport, so someone will have a big bill to pay for that move. I don't think it will be Dr. Now's office or the TV show. I wonder if she's more tech savvy than we saw on the show, and there will be a GoFundMe campaign for that before long. 

ETA: I found this article about her which links to her FB page. (It has spoilers about the episode but if you've read this thread this far you've had spoilers aplenty anyway).  I'll have to look at FB later. But I got a chuckle from the article when it referred to Joyce as a "reality star." A good reality check on what it takes to be a reality star. 🤣

Edited by Jeeves
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 7
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, dreadfulLeigh said:

What would her weight have been as an average sized, say 5’ 6” woman? I feel like the 4’ 11” is throwing off my perception. And I’m not sure in which way. She looked like a half melted blob. 

Dr Now said Joyce at 4 11" should weigh no more than 100 lbs , meanwhile she weighed more than seven people ! Joyce wanted to go back to her life in Kansas ? Lying in bed ?

Edited by AVM
  • Love 5

Before her weigh in, after she lost 200 pounds in 2 months on a 1200 calorie a day diet, she was back home. At this point BEFORE HER WEIGH IN WITH DR. NOW to show she can lose on her own- she was trying to tell us or the camera  that  she had not lost weight.  She was telling the cameras that 1200 calories was too much food for her body to lose weight on,-- because she knew she'd gained,--and she was trying to tell us she had been eating 1200 calories a day religiously. She knew she was due to have a bad weigh in. I mean how the fuck would she know that if she was sticking to the diet? Sorry caught in your lying lie, you liar. 

I think some people interpreted this as meaning she was saying she couldn't finish 1200 calories, that it was too much food but that wasn't her point. Her point was that HERbody at 550 will only lose weight on 800 calories, that she is a special snowflake and her body is beyond the laws of Science. 

She liked this line so so much she tried it on Dr. Now and his comebacks are stuff of legend:

You're delusional if you think that!!

ha ha ha ha ha ha

My favorite was

You need therapy

I've had therapy

well YOU NEED MOREI 

She definitely stuffed her face her whole life to punish her mother. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 20