Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Joyce's Story

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, dahling said:

I'm confused. Why did we not see a calling out of her enabler (Dawn)? Why was there no insight about what she was actually eating?   The one thing we saw was a demure "egg white omelet with peppers" but the serving size looked massive, and I saw sausage in it in the close up. My TV is big.  I wondered why Dawn and "Joyce Mom" (did she have a name? how demeaning) just sat around in the apartment staring into space, but duh drugs.  

I wonder if Joyce & co. were stonewalling the producer/cameras, and not doing the usual scenes when they'd show up to film.
After the Kansas scenes, we didn't see much eating except one pudding cup, and that sausage and veggie deal.
I think she'd actually seen the show before, but foolishly thought she could better Dr. Now.

• Love 2

Pounders:

A quick reminder, it was never said on the show that Joyce is receiving disability payments.  As explained in the master Mod note, we do not assume people are getting government assistance, nor do we assume caretaker pay.  There are so many things to comment on about Joyce - her baby voice, her tiny feet, her blob like appearance, the fact that when she supposedly is going to have trouble breathing she closes her mouth so tightly it looks like she's trying to swallow her own lips, the tensile strength of her recliner - let's keep the discussion on point. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 5
43 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

Joyce is an all-roads-lead-to-misery human tree stump. I wish there were more to these people's stories other than "my parents got divorced" and "food is the only thing that gives me comfort." These are oversimplifications of much larger addiction issues.  She's been overweight all of her life -- that's not her parents' fault or her grandmother's.  The backstories on this show are woefully redundant. I mean, it's so bad, it's like writing a Mad Lib every week: "My parents [past tense verb] me. I got pregnant at age [inappropriate teen age]. I [verb] my feelings." 

Agreed, but I don’t think it was helpful that a small normal weight child was probably stuffed with food by grandma every time she expressed sadness or anxiety about being sent there by her now-absent mother.  Of course many people can overcome that kind of conditioning but Joyce has no desire to.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

There are so many things to comment on about Joyce - her baby voice, her tiny feet, her blob like appearance,

How may I count the ways that I love Princess. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
9 minutes ago, nokat said:

How may I count the ways that I love Princess. 

Weigh them on Dr. Now's scale? Joyce doesn't need it.

Side note: it was mentioned on the 1000 lb Sisters show thread, when they went to the junkyard to be weighed on their scale, that the facility would have to have it inspected/calibrated/whatever on a regular basis to make sure it is accurate. Do doctor's scales get checked like that?

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I haven't read through the live chat yet, so this may have been addressed. What was her obsession with medical transport? Renting a van and lying in the back of it would have been equivalent. But once she found out about medical transport, no other form of transportation would do. Good thing Dr. Now didn't fly her out in a Medevac helicopter. 

My only guess is sheer narcissism.

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, Azubah said:

I haven't read through the live chat yet, so this may have been addressed. What was her obsession with medical transport? Renting a van and lying in the back of it would have been equivalent. But once she found out about medical transport, no other form of transportation would do. Good thing Dr. Now didn't fly her out in a Medevac helicopter. 

She is either sincerely delusional and was honestly convinced she could not get of the house and into a van, or...she just didn't want to, because that would be hard. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, Azubah said:

Yes, that she is so special and its all about her. Plus, she is a reality tv star now!!! 

• Love 5

Ah, we have ourselves another Penny! "I didn't fail the program, the program failed me" 🙄🙄🙄

For all the talk with Baby Voice, I mean Lola, about rage and violence, there sure was very little. 

Sup with the mom and Dawn not calling her out for that shit? Not even an eye roll or a scoff after Dr Now comes in the room after weigh in.. Are they robots? How can the mom afford to come down there every month? How do you take your kid to your mom's house and then go get married and live your best life with your new family like that? So many questions. So many fuck ups.

Edited by starlightlost
  • Love 5

IIRC, the only time we saw her taking any mode of transportation other than medical transport, she never. shut. up. bitching, moaning, and whining the whole time. Because it was so haaard and it was more than her poor body could tolerate!

What had me shaking my head in disbelief was, that she rode one of those nice motorized chair/scooter things, out the door of the apartment, and up the back-door ramp of a specially outfitted mini-van cab, and was driven to the door of Dr. Now's office that way. But, as I said, she never. shut. up. with the whining and complaining about that abusive mode of transportation. What a beeyotch. (I know at least one person recovering from a serious illness, who with her physical limitations would consider riding a motorized scooter up a ramp into a taxi-van, the height of convenience. So yeah I'm really disgusted by Joyce and her NEEDS. She can go fuck herself, or fall over and die, or whatever.)

She then had at least one wheelchair and walker for her use in the office.

That's when she (a) weighed in to show that she had GAINED almost 60 pounds since leavin the hospital and then (b) pitched a fit and fell in it. First denial, "this can't be happening!" and blame, "the scale is WRONG!' and when Dr. Now wasn't buying her bullshit, she fell back on "I'm having a heart attack! I need to go to the hospital!"

Of course, Dr. Now was sure she wasn't having a heart attack but AFAIK his medical ethics called for him to have her taken to the hospital (in an ambulance, natch). 

I was interested to note that Joyce bullied Dr. Now into providing her medical transport to Lola's office, at least twice I assume. BTW Joyce's FB page lists her location as Houston so maybe she's still there. Waiting for magical medical transport back to Kansas? Maybe she could close her eyes, click her scabrous heels together, and murmur "there's no place like home . . ." 🤣

• LOL 1
  • Love 19

Joyce was convinced she couldn't step over a half inch threshold to get outside.  She saw that as a major accomplishment.  She also commented to Dr. Now, when she broke the scale (the infamous 388 that even she had to admit was too low),  that the 5 inches she stepped up to get on it was something she hadn't done in a years.  I know it had to be "haaaaaaard" to lift her extended abdomen, but seriously, that's a short step with a solid landing area.  She loves her medical transport because she gets wheeled in, even if she "doesn't feel secure" and is afraid she'll fall.  

• Love 9
2 hours ago, nokat said:

The next bus will be leaving in an hour. Hands over a pair of gasoline soaked thongs, just to be extra evil.

Drat, I missed it.

The good news is that I didn't get home in time to see the show so I was able to watch it on the DVR in about an hour or so.

The bad news is I didn't get home in time to see the show so I missed the live snark--I mean live chat.

What a waste.  Where do I go to get my time back?   

I am not sure about Dawn;  there were times when she looked at Joyce like she was in love with her, but the rest of the time she seemed zoned out.  I thought at one of the dr visits she was going to contradict Joyce, but then it looked like she thought better of it and zoned out again.

I think part of her problem with her mom is misplaced anger at her dad who disappeared from her life and who, I believe, also was very obese when he died.

At her initial weigh-in, she was 750ish which is 600 pounds heavier than I am.  I am 6 inches taller, and I cannot imagine that I could gain that much without my body exploding.  I can't see eating continually all during the day  and not having indigestion all day and night. 

I was home for about an hour yesterday afternoon and caught bits and pieces of Lacy's story;  she was also short, but at least she was in the process of having some success.  What a contrast!

What was that rug in Lola's office?  Well, I know it was a "throw rug" as it looked like she had  thrown a bunch of post-its into a pile in the middle of the floor.

I guess Joyce is content the way she is.  She lost 200 pounds in the  hospital,then regained 70 so she ended up 130 pounds less than when she started so she probably does feel better.  There seem to be a lot of these obese patients who are so happy to be relieved of only about 10-20% of their starting weight that they just seem to lose the motivation to keep going.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
11 minutes ago, Twopper said:

At her initial weigh-in, she was 750ish which is 600 pounds heavier than I am.  I am 6 inches taller, and I cannot imagine that I could gain that much without my body exploding.  I can't see eating continually all during the day  and not having indigestion all day and night. 

I'm about the same as you. I can't even imagine if I weight that much at this height. 

• Love 3

Holy crap, 758!!!  And holy crap, can't believe I forgot this was on last night!  Really missed all the as-it-was-happening snark, but watching now with my breakfast eating habit of oatmeal, blueberries and almond milk.  Hold the lasagne.

• LOL 7

Yikes!  Her belly button looks like a tunnel.  I'm finding her totally unlikeable.

I thought they had made a mistake with the caption showing her mother the first time, thought for sure it had to be a younger sister!

Edited by Friday
Added a sentence
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, ShoePrincess said:

Does anyone have a match handy so I can light my gasoline soaked panties and hop into the handbasket to hell for saying ...

Joyce looks like Jabba the Hut in drag.

Pass the gasoline and lit match when you finished with them.  I thought the same thing!

Jabba the Hutt.JPG

• Useful 1
  • LOL 11
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Swiss said:

Maybe all that neck fat is compressing Joyce's vocal cords..resulting in that baby voice!!

Weight definitely affects your voice. Many of the women poundticipants on this show have breathy voices and sound like little girls. Often the men have weak high pitched voices, which I believe is weight related low testosterone levels. 

Haven't you ever spoken to someone on the phone that you've never seen but you can tell they're overweight from their pitch and breathing? 

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, AVM said:

Anybody else notice the majority of the super obese like Joyce eat only with spoons ? Maybe that the ticket Give them forks and take away their damn spoons.. They  use them like shovels.

I think even more than spoons they use their hands to shovel the food in, their beloved pizza, fried food, etc.

• Love 3

Oh. Em. Gee.  She needs a scooter, a walker, AND a wheelchair to navigate the door into Dr Now's office???!!!!

And a 58 pound WEIGHT GAIN!  Yikes....

Edited by Friday
further viewing
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I honestly don't know how these people don't just explode with vomit. How can all that food go down and stay down? Bucket indeed! 

That is her and it looks like she has some financial "issues" 

She sure has a lot of aliases too!

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Friday said:

I really don't understand the point of bed or chair cooking.  Especially disgusting and revolting with a porta-potty chair next to you. 

Neither do I. Like Penny frying won tons on her bed (her toilet). Disgusting. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
17 hours ago, Carboncat said:

Here the cable channels air programs at East Coast time, so I join it at 5:00.  Can't seem to get West Coast chat, but no matter, I love Live Chat with my East Coast and Midwest/South pals!

(It's weird when we visit New Jersey.."Morning Joe" etc.. starts at 3:00 am out here...I should be in the shower etc. before it's over, not 9:00 am!)

Lucky you!  I wish I got the east coast viewing at 5 but Comcast makes me wait until 8. Not much, if any, snarking going on for the west coast 8 p.m. viewing, unfortunately.  I really wish I could snark along in real time with the east coasters!

How unfortunate that the scale only malfunctions when Joyyca the Hut gets weighed. Bad luck and all!

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
20 minutes ago, Friday said:

I really don't understand the point of bed or chair cooking.  Especially disgusting and revolting with a porta-potty chair next to you. 

Even more disgusting, I saw nothing nearby for washing hands post-poop and pre-preparing food. I’m not touching, let alone eating anything prepared by her.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Now I have "Hard to Be the Bard" from Something Rotten (specifically, an acoustic version by Adam Pascal) in my head.

(Hard to be the Lard?)

('k, where do I board the bus to hell?)

For this Poundticipant I don't think there's a bus big enough to hold everyone.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, sagittarius sue said:

I think even more than spoons they use their hands to shovel the food in, their beloved pizza, fried food, etc.

They also seem to chew like Tom Hanks eating a tiny corn cob in Big.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
On 2/9/2020 at 2:58 PM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

She's writing a letter to Mommy, 
Her address is somewhere, who knows?
I've written "Dear Mommy, I hate you
And blame you for all of my woes"

Instead of a stamp, I put greases
The postman says that's worst to do
I've written a letter to Mommy
Saying "I loathe you"

I've written a letter to Mommy
Saying "I loathe you"

Hahaha! I love anyone who can nail a Whatever Happened to Baby Jane reference! 

I flove Extra Salty Dr Now. “Do you mean to say that you’ve gained 60 pounds of water weight? On the ride here?” 

I was truly expecting the black screen of death on this one. (I’m 4’11” too and weigh about 109, which I think is a few too many. Curse you, delicious cheese!) When they showed her shoving a sausage omelette the size of Massachusetts down her throat that solved the mystery of “I don’t know whyyyyyy it’s not wooooorking! I’m trying soooooo hard!” 

• LOL 8
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I really had zero sympathy for anything Joyce said, or her mother either.   And Joyce Sr, and Dawn were totally stoned through the entire show.    I almost hurt myself laughing at Joyce's "heart attack".    

OK, I had to go back and undelete it to see what I missed; totally didn't pick up on Little Big Joyce and not so svelta Dawn being stoned!  But it does answer my question about why they seemed so content just sitting there.  And why Dawn seems so content to waste her life with Big Little Joyce.

• Love 4

Joyce definitely continued to gain weight to spite her mom's suppressive diets and abandoning her as a kid (which was completely wrong). 

She's another manipulative attention whore. 

Dawn and Mama Joyce looked high as kites throughout the whole episode. Probably swiping pain pills. 

Her insistence on needing medical transport was weird. Another crutch to lean on as she gets attention and the spotlight from the workers. 

Her fake heart attack was hilarious. I love how Dr. Now slowly walked away to get her help. lol 

"Don't worry. You've eaten enough food for three years in the future." LMAO. Dr. Now bringing the sass.

She's too far gone to ever change.

For a comment on her size: I'm amazed she is that short at that size. Wow. I've posted here before that I'm 5'0", size 6.5 feet, apple shape (I hate it. Thanks, Mom and maternal grandma). At my highest weight, I was almost 150lbs. I felt huge and horrible. Showering was tiring. Got my shit together and lost weight. even then, I still had a tummy. Dealing with regain right now. I feel like I'll have to survive on celery and water to stay at a healthy weight. Anyway, I can't believe people that small let themselves get that big. I'm glad that I got fed up and didn't get too heavy.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Twopper said:

What was that rug in Lola's office?  Well, I know it was a "throw rug" as it looked like she had  thrown a bunch of post-its into a pile in the middle of the floor.

It's a rag rug.  Women used to make them out of fabric scraps.  Usually they are braided and then woven into a flat rug, but that one was a shaggy kind.  I think they're cute, but probably not appropriate for a therapist's office.

6 hours ago, magemaud said:

Weight definitely affects your voice. Many of the women poundticipants on this show have breathy voices and sound like little girls. Often the men have weak high pitched voices, which I believe is weight related low testosterone levels. 

Others have also pointed out that Joyce's high-pitched voice suddenly got a lot deeper when she was arguing with Dr. Now.  I think the sweet, high-pitched voice is just another manipulation tool.

5 hours ago, Friday said:

OK, I had to go back and undelete it to see what I missed; totally didn't pick up on Little Big Joyce and not so svelta Dawn being stoned!  But it does answer my question about why they seemed so content just sitting there.  And why Dawn seems so content to waste her life with Big Little Joyce.

Once I realized they were high, the episode made a LOT more sense.

7 hours ago, Twopper said:

It's a rag rug.  Women used to make them out of fabric scraps.  Usually they are braided and then woven into a flat rug, but that one was a shaggy kind.  I think they're cute, but probably not appropriate for a therapist's office.

6 hours ago, magemaud said:

Others have also pointed out that Joyce's high-pitched voice suddenly got a lot deeper when she was arguing with Dr. Now.  I think the sweet, high-pitched voice is just another manipulation tool.

5 hours ago, Friday said:

Once I realized they were high, the episode made a LOT more sense.

Edit: Sorry- I have no idea how that doubled.  It's been a crappy day and I'm not changing it 🙂

Edited by 88Keys
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, dahling said:

I don't see how he manages to deal with these people day in and day out without the occasional f-bomb. Maybe he saves them for when the cameras are off. Or maybe he's actually a saint. 

I want to be his asst. I would do it for free! But there might be a little "bleeping" involved. 😳

And what was that scrotum thing with a nipple on it hanging from her neithers? 😝 As his asst. I would probably have to poke it with a stick. 😷 In the name of Medical research of course.

• LOL 13
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, calpurnia99 said:

I hear ya. I am 5 foot 1 and I have size 11 feet and I cannot wear womens watches they are too small. I have Man Hands. My hands are larger than most mens' hands. So yes, I am Big Boned. At 130 I can wear a size 2-4 in clothes.  My grandfather was from Lithuania and I remember my mother who is also 5 foot 1 say that her size 9 feet were unusual in the 1950s. Her mother had size 6 feet so she must have got the big bones from her Lithuanian dad.  I like that Weight Watchers upped the amount of the ideal weight about a decade ago. They used to have 128 for a 5 foot 3 person but they changed it to 139. As a result all the leaders are not skinny at all, they all look like they could lose 10-20 pounds, but it was good for people like me.  I also have huge muscles due to being a skater and cyclist, my calves are so big that I've been followed in stores.  However, this Blob looked like she had tiny feet so she is probably small boned.

I hear you, too!  I'm 5 foot 5 and have size 11 feet, man hands, and a big head.  My top weight was almost 250.  With Weight Watchers I was able to lose over 80 pounds, and I'm happy with my size 12 self.  

Joyce and her mother looked more like sisters than mother and daughter.  I had a feeling early on that this would not be a success story.  She looked and acted a lot like Penny with her insisting that she needed oxygen.  I was amazed that Joyce could stand at all, given that she outweighed Penny.  These super delusional people that waste resources piss me off.  

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Jeeves said:

ETA: I found this article about her which links to her FB page. (It has spoilers about the episode but if you've read this thread this far you've had spoilers aplenty anyway).  I'll have to look at FB later. But I got a chuckle from the article when it referred to Joyce as a "reality star." A good reality check on what it takes to be a reality star. 🤣

I was thinking the same thing. It's hilarious how quickly they all reach "reality star" status!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, JunkFoodTV said:

And what was that scrotum thing with a nipple on it hanging from her neithers? 😝 As his asst. I would probably have to poke it with a stick. 😷 In the name of Medical research of course.

It'd have to be a lonnnng stick for me to poke it.

24 minutes ago, DanaMB said:

When you come to read the live thread page as you get ready to watch your recording and see it’s 20 pages. Hoo boy. Strapping myself in. 

Anyone know what the live chat page count record is? (I'm guessing it's an Assante episode.)

So this just occurred to me...I don't know how tall Dr. Paradise is; I'm guessing not much over 5 feet, if that, but next to Dr. Now's patients he always looks so exceptionally tiny (since they are inevitably taller than him on top of being several times as wide). I kinda want to see him stand next to Joyce (if you could get her to stand long enough for a quick picture) just to see the comparison to a 700-pound person who is close to his height.

Side note: I googled "Matthew Paradise height" and you know how Google gives you a quick answer to such questions in a box at the top of the page...usually they probably come from Wikipedia or somewhere like that. This one says 5 feet and the source was....us! 😄 

image.png.354f0eed80a9f2de2673e8a43edf7675.png

• LOL 18
7 minutes ago, OoogleEyes said:

I was thinking the same thing. It's hilarious how quickly they all reach "reality star" status!

It's like porn.  No one is ever a "porn actor" or "porn actress" if they're in the news.  They're always a "porn star."

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, auntjess said:

But not "grab the snacks, 'cause I don't want to miss a minute of this shitfest" awful, boring awful, like sad sack Melissa's third update awful.
Before she left KS, or when she first got to Houston, wasn't she walking outside?  When did she regress.
We never saw much of what she ate in Houston, except what looked like a pudding cup, and that dish with salad things cooked with sausage.
Why no dietician?

Or someone to tell them about PORTION CONTROL. That pile of eggs she cooked up on the hot plate could have served three people.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, materialgirl101 said:

Or someone to tell them about PORTION CONTROL. That pile of eggs she cooked up on the hot plate could have served three people.

I think they do get information about portion control.  Remember Travis telling his wife he could have only 6 ounces of protein at one meal?  Also, she knows she gets 1200 calories a day.  There are hundreds of apps out there that can tell her how many calories were on that plate.

• Love 10

I used to work with a woman who's brother was under Dr. Now's care. I ask her and she said he had to see a therapist before he started the program and he saw a nutritionist. How often he saw the therapist I do not know but he did see one to start. I think it depends on your insurance how often you can see the therapist. I do know she said the nutritionist gave him all the information he needed to follow the diet but as she said that did not mean he used the information.

• Useful 14
  • Love 2

Dawn was odd, but I don’t think she was the problem.  Usually the enablers bring food into the hospital.  Joyce’s 200 lb loss tells me that Dawn was not sneaking stuff in.  

The In-hospital weight loss also tells me that Joyce will lose on 1,200 calories a day.  I think bodies are very different and some people might need more extreme measures to lose, but Joyce surely isn’t one of those people.  

I think Joyce is eating way less than she used to, but still way too much for her sedentary lifestyle.  That egg dish certainly indicates that she doesn’t know what 400 calories per meal looks like.  I also suspect her mobility is improved overnight, when she can eat in private.  

Lying manipulative bitch, as previously diagnosed by others.  

• Love 16
3 hours ago, magemaud said:

Haven't you ever spoken to someone on the phone that you've never seen but you can tell they're overweight from their pitch and breathing? 

or maybe they know they are the biggest thing in the room, and they make their voices small and baby like in order to seem non-threatening/helpless/like a small child that needs constant attending to?

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, Roxie said:

I think they do get information about portion control.  Remember Travis telling his wife he could have only 6 ounces of protein at one meal?  Also, she knows she gets 1200 calories a day.  There are hundreds of apps out there that can tell her how many calories were on that plate.

Yes, I assumed they did get info - but did Dawn? She prepped the eggs, right?

Also - correct me if I am wrong, but I don't recall seeing any of them on a smartphone (the Assanti bros were non stop on theirs).

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Jeeves said:

IIRC, the only time we saw her taking any mode of transportation other than medical transport, she never. shut. up. bitching, moaning, and whining the whole time. Because it was so haaard and it was more than her poor body could tolerate!

What had me shaking my head in disbelief was, that she rode one of those nice motorized chair/scooter things, out the door of the apartment, and up the back-door ramp of a specially outfitted mini-van cab, and was driven to the door of Dr. Now's office that way. But, as I said, she never. shut. up. with the whining and complaining about that abusive mode of transportation. What a beeyotch. (I know at least one person recovering from a serious illness, who with her physical limitations would consider riding a motorized scooter up a ramp into a taxi-van, the height of convenience. So yeah I'm really disgusted by Joyce and her NEEDS. She can go fuck herself, or fall over and die, or whatever.)

She then had at least one wheelchair and walker for her use in the office.

That's when she (a) weighed in to show that she had GAINED almost 60 pounds since leavin the hospital and then (b) pitched a fit and fell in it. First denial, "this can't be happening!" and blame, "the scale is WRONG!' and when Dr. Now wasn't buying her bullshit, she fell back on "I'm having a heart attack! I need to go to the hospital!"

Of course, Dr. Now was sure she wasn't having a heart attack but AFAIK his medical ethics called for him to have her taken to the hospital (in an ambulance, natch). 

I was interested to note that Joyce bullied Dr. Now into providing her medical transport to Lola's office, at least twice I assume. BTW Joyce's FB page lists her location as Houston so maybe she's still there. Waiting for magical medical transport back to Kansas? Maybe she could close her eyes, click her scabrous heels together, and murmur "there's no place like home . . ." 🤣

Scabrous.  

Ewww.

Horrifyingly accurate.  

And kudos to Jeeves for using a $2 word... as my mom would say.  

• LOL 4