Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Joyce's Story

• Start Topic

21 minutes ago, materialgirl101 said:

Yes, I assumed they did get info - but did Dawn? She prepped the eggs, right?

Also - correct me if I am wrong, but I don't recall seeing any of them on a smartphone (the Assanti bros were non stop on theirs).

Dawn could have/should have read the info, and Joyce could have "reminded" her to follow it.  And we know she had a computer, because she used it to talk to Dr. Now one of the times she couldn't/wouldn't go to his office (if I'm remembering it correctly).

• Useful 2
9 minutes ago, sainte-chapelle said:

I haven't watched this yet but 20 pages of live chat tells me this was a messy one.

Same here and let me tell you, I am DYING to get out of work so I can see it.  My husband is also super excited.  Because he knew I didn't want to work today he showed me a pic of the Tongan Olympian to boost my mood.  It worked.  

• LOL 9
17 hours ago, magemaud said:

This episode was referred to as a “snooze fest” on the live chat, but I think it was more of a “whine fest.” 

“It’s haaaard...”

Yes, a "wine" fest.  I decided to indulge chatting with my pounder pals on a Wednesday....it was fun!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, sainte-chapelle said:

I'm only 45 min in but what does Dawn get out of this friendship? 

It's speculation but...some commenters have suggested drugs is what she's getting (in one way or another).

Joyce said she pays Dawn. I wonder how much. Can't possibly be worth it. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Anyone know what the live chat page count record is? (I'm guessing it's an Assante episode.)

I'm not sure if it was a record, but I remember James K's thread being super long when it aired.  Of course, that was before we met Steven, and Shcenee...this show always knows how to top itself!

2 hours ago, Carboncat said:

Yes, a "wine" fest.  I decided to indulge chatting with my pounder pals on a Wednesday....it was fun!

Honestly, the live chat is the only reason I devote two hours of my life to this show each week.

1 hour ago, sainte-chapelle said:

I'm only 45 min in but what does Dawn get out of this friendship? 

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Snarkastikate said:

I wouldn't stick my bare hands inside Joyce's putrid folds of flesh every day for a million bucks.

Without even wearing gloves!  I am convinced there is more to this story that we didn’t see in the episode.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Joyce is an all-roads-lead-to-misery human tree stump. I wish there were more to these people's stories other than "my parents got divorced" and "food is the only thing that gives me comfort." These are oversimplifications of much larger addiction issues.  She's been overweight all of her life -- that's not her parents' fault or her grandmother's.  The backstories on this show are woefully redundant. I mean, it's so bad, it's like writing a Mad Lib every week: "My parents [past tense verb] me. I got pregnant at age [inappropriate teen age]. I [verb] my feelings." 

And there are many (of us) who have stories that could match or top what these folks use as an excuse (that's all it is) for eating themselves into immobility.

Here's a radical idea . . . why wouldn't a person's reaction to massive childhood abuse be to follow a "living well is the best revenge" trajectory?  Of course, those people (us) are boring so we'd never see them on TV.

Gotta go pack for my next cruise.  I chose the "best revenge" option.

• Useful 3
  • Love 9

I would like to see the show and medical professionals address what seems to be the BIGGEST concern for the patients on this show.  It's not that they will die from obesity related conditions.  It's that they will REACH THEIR BREAKING POINT.  This seems to be a mysterious place or condition that the patients FEAR more than anything and it causes them undue stress, worry and paralysis.  Because of this, they can't walk, comply with eating plan, show up for appointments, etc. So...........why not put them in a controlled environment and let them get to that BREAKING POINT to see just what will happen.  Have medical staff,, paramedics, therapist, etc. on hand and let them see that nothing horrible is going to happen.  If they collapse on the floor, they will be picked up and put into a wheelchair and life will go on.  They need to get through this phobia of dying due to reaching their BREAKING POINT.   They have built it up in their minds to the point that it's like a big cloud over their head.  I'm really sick of hearing about it. 

Did Steven reach his breaking point when he got bounced on the curb?  lol  He made it out just fine though, so, it's not all that bad. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 9

Well there's 1 hour and some odd minutes I'll never get back (thank you DVR).

I really wish this show would delve deeper into the enablers.  I'm sure Dr. Now did say something to Dawn and the Mom, but it just wasn't show.  I mean here is a show that has people feeding people to death, and their excuse is usually somewhere along the lines of "You wouldn't want to deal with them if they don't get their food." 

When you look at people like this train wreck, she can't go get her own food or order Uber Eats or anything like that, so it is specifically people bringing her food.  What could she do?  Yell?  Scream?  Just leave the house.  She can't follow you.

I think it would be interesting to see what makes these people listen to these bed-bound brats.

• Love 12
23 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

If we knew they were, I'm sure he did. Joyce is a disability check for them to buy drugs off of. Or they are taking her pain pills. They really don't care what happens to her.

Aldi rocks. 

Well, if that's the case, if she dies, they are both out of luck.  Unless, she had any assets left to give them.  It appeared that she was supporting herself with the Day Care, but, then once she closed that, it was just her with no job.  

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I would like to see the show and medical professionals address what seems to be the BIGGEST concern for the patients on this show.  It's not that they will die from obesity related conditions.  It's that they will REACH THEIR BREAKING POINT.  This seems to be a mysterious place or condition that the patients FEAR more than anything and it causes them undue stress, worry and paralysis.  Because of this, they can't walk, comply with eating plan, show up for appointments, etc. So...........why not put them in a controlled environment and let them get to that BREAKING POINT to see just what will happen.  Have medical staff,, paramedics, therapist, etc. on hand and let them see that nothing horrible is going to happen.  If they collapse on the floor, they will be picked up and put into a wheelchair and life will go on.  They need to get through this phobia of dying due to reaching their BREAKING POINT.   They have built it up in their minds to the point that it's like a big cloud over their head.  I'm really sick of hearing about it. 

Did Steven reach his breaking point when he got bounced on the curb?  lol  He made it out just fine though, so, it's not all that bad. 

This "breaking point" is almost always an imaginary place that keeps moving farther away the closer they get to it.  It is the point at which they will suddenly decide to move earth, heaven and hell to fix themselves.  A few seem to have reached it, and they are the few real success stories we see. 

Most have lots of unbroken "broken points" like " I was 140 pounds at 7 years old, 250 by 14 and over 300 when I graduated high school and got my first job at Fast Food joint.  I married abusive spouse at 22 when I was up to 350 after losing 14 pounds on (insert name of popular diet plan), but then I started to gain and was up to 420 after birth of first child.   I left the sorry SOB and got pregnant with my second child by another SOB  and gained only 60 pounds during that pregnancy.   So at age 28 I was already 480 pounds.   Then my parent/friend/ sibling/SOB partner died or had some other dreadful event, and that is when I really started to gain weight so I was 550 at age 30. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 14
4 minutes ago, Twopper said:

This "breaking point" is almost always an imaginary place that keeps moving farther away the closer they get to it.  It is the point at which they will suddenly decide to move earth, heaven and hell to fix themselves.  A few seem to have reached it, and they are the few real success stories we see. 

One of the most poignant, honest and deep statements ever written on this board.  

• Love 11
1 hour ago, kj4ever said:

I really wish this show would delve deeper into the enablers.  I'm sure Dr. Now did say something to Dawn and the Mom, but it just wasn't show.  I mean here is a show that has people feeding people to death, and their excuse is usually somewhere along the lines of "You wouldn't want to deal with them if they don't get their food." 

When you look at people like this train wreck, she can't go get her own food or order Uber Eats or anything like that, so it is specifically people bringing her food.  What could she do?  Yell?  Scream?  Just leave the house.  She can't follow you.

Right? I have said this many times. If my family member was yelling for food I'd bring them a bowl of crisp, crunchy vegetables and a cool, refreshing glass of water. If they started yelling, I'd toss potato chips at them as I danced away. Giggling at their impotent rage at not being able to bend to retrieve the chips. Go ahead, Tubby. Yell all you want. If you want a bacon cheeseburger on two grilled cheese sandwiches, followed by a pan of brownies, you'll need to get off your fat ass and get it yourself.

1 hour ago, Twopper said:

Most have lots of unbroken "broken points" like " I was 140 pounds at 7 years old, 250 by 14 and over 300 when I graduated high school and got my first job at Fast Food joint.  I married abusive spouse at 22 when I was up to 350 after losing 14 pounds on (insert name of popular diet plan), but then I started to gain and was up to 420 after birth of first child.   I left the sorry SOB and got pregnant with my second child by another SOB  and gained only 60 pounds during that pregnancy.   So at age 28 I was already 480 pounds.   Then my parent/friend/ sibling/SOB partner died or had some other dreadful event, and that is when I really started to gain weight so I was 550 at age 30. 

Aaaaaaaand we have BINGO!

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Right? I have said this many times. If my family member was yelling for food I'd bring them a bowl of crisp, crunchy vegetables and a cool, refreshing glass of water. If they started yelling, I'd toss potato chips at them as I danced away. Giggling at their impotent rage at not being able to bend to retrieve the chips. Go ahead, Tubby. Yell all you want. If you want a bacon cheeseburger on two grilled cheese sandwiches, followed by a pan of brownies, you'll need to get off your fat ass and get it yourself.

I agree, but I wonder if there is some level of bribery there. If the caretaker is getting paid by or is supported by the person, they could easily say "If you don't do as I say, get out". 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, libgirl2 said:

I agree, but I wonder if there is some level of bribery there. If the caretaker is getting paid by or is supported by the person, they could easily say "If you don't do as I say, get out". 

Bribery, threats, guilt, etc.  They use whatever form of manipulation works most effectively. 

• Love 7

Oh, of course. They're enablers after all. They say "he needs me" or "I can't just abandon him" or whatever. And they're usually such sad sack losers that they can't figure out any other means of support. But think of Gina's gf, who worked full time and came home to wait on that slug Gina and her whole bloated family. They weren't her means of support, she probably supported all of them.

If any of these enablers had one ounce of self esteem they wouldn't be in this situation, though.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Snarkastikate said:

For the life of me I can't figure out the major personal dysfunction that keeps Dawn tied to this loathsome demanding creature.  Since Joyce is housebound/bedbound, a huge part of this is on Dawn in my opinion, so I was majorly disappointed when Dr Now didn't ream her ass out for being a world class enabler.  I wouldn't stick my bare hands inside Joyce's putrid folds of flesh every day for a million bucks.   Whether public assistance or disability, how is there enough money to pay for all that food?

Yes!  Mr. Natalie was quite vocal about Dawn's enabling and yelling at the tv why isn't Dr. Now ripping her a new one!  I kept seeing references to mold.  Now I know what it meant.  I wish I didn't.  EEK!  I really loathed this one and her enabling mother and Dawn.  Calling Dr. Now abusive because of his expectations?  Bitch please.  That right there should have gotten her cut from the program.   She was horrid.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

To which they should shrug, walk out secure in the knowledge that any fast food job is preferable to flap cleaning with or without gloves.  The person in need of flap cleaning needs the caretaker more than the caretaker needs to clean said flaps.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

I can't wait to see the supersized episode. They've got some explaining to do! 😐 And not the stupid boxes (Joyce hopes to travel to Egypt to visit the Nile (denial😁) in person ...her favorite color is lasagne red and cheesy gold .....her not so secret talent is talking shit.)

I am, sadly, re-watching the original. I know I watched it, but I must have missed why it was all mom's fault about the molestation. Did any one catch the reason? Did the mom know the step son was a creeper?

I watch (ish), but there is always something else going on. I am way too easily distracted. 🤗 Do y'all have stuff you do during the show? I'm usually in the kitchen. Making apple pies for the freezer, canning jam from strawberries and raspberries I froze last summer, just busy mindless stuff.....

Could the bumps on her stomach be massive amounts skin tags? I've noticed IRL that they seem to be pretty common in heavy set people...

• Love 6

What totally amazed me is the giant forkfuls of food she was shoveling into her mouth. One of the secrets of losing weight is to take smaller (in this case normal) sized bites of food and to savor each bite, putting your fork (shovel) down between bites. 
As for portion control, she obviously had no idea of the proper size potion for a 1200 calorie diet. Guess she didn’t  pay attention while in the hospital. 
And... how was she paying Dawn?

I would not have been surprised ti find that Joyce had passed away by the end of the episode. 

• Love 6

It would seem that there would barely be enough money to feed the obese person.  They eat enormous amounts of food. Just one day of fast food would be pricey.  I'd think the obese person would be nice and not so demanding, but, I guess that's not true. 

I actually have someone in my family who is a sabotager.  She doesn't realize it.  She doesn't have anyone living with her that is morbidly obese, but, there are family members nearby her that try to diet, yet she will often prepare 2 cakes, brownies, cobbler, all in one day! My dad tells her that he wants to cut back and lose a few pounds, but, she ignores it.   This is knowing that others do not want or need that food.  She just can't stop herself. She doesn't even eat it!  I have been known to cut a big piece and throw it in the garbage wrapped in paper towel.  Her feelings are hurt if you don't eat it.  lol  Other times, I indulge. Ugghh....

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

They had me fooled at the start of the episode. I thought she wanted to change. She lived with an employed family member in a normal middle-class house. She politely thanked all the people lifting her into and out of the transport. She even laughed at Dr. Now's joke about eating 3 years' worth of food. Well, what do I know.

• LOL 5
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, PradaKitty said:

One of the secrets of losing weight is to take smaller (in this case normal) sized bites of sfood and to savor each bite, putting your fork (shovel) down between bites.

Everyone always says this, but I take the smallest bites and am the slowest eater of anyone I know -- and I'm also the heaviest.  In fact, I often have to stop eating before I'm ready to stop because everyone else is waiting for me to be done.  (And no, my portions aren't larger than everyone else's.)

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, IvySpice said:

They had me fooled at the start of the episode. I thought she wanted to change. She lived with an employed family member in a normal middle-class house. She politely thanked all the people lifting her into and out of the transport. She even laughed at Dr. Now's joke about eating 3 years' worth of food. Well, what do I know.

Don't feel bad - she's a master manipulator. She even manipulated Dr. Now

I rewatched this and yeah I still can't get over the fact she was saying that even though she was sticking to the 1200 calorie a day diet, she didn't feel like she lost weight, so maybe her body can't lose on 1200 calories (This after losing 200 pounds in 2 months on 1200 calories a day in the hospital) Then right after that, she gets on the video chat with Dr. Now and says she has lost weight. And he says "you look like you gained!" HA! and she says "well I stopped using the oxygen" as proof she lost weight. But she just said she didn't lose any cause 1200 calories was too much food! Lies lies lies, kept getting caught in lies.

She sounded JUST like that horrid Angie person, who was using this sarcastic voice with Dr. Now "Well it costs MUN-NEY" if you all recall that pc of work. Well this Joyce this lady used that same voice and same tone on her video chat when she said "I can't get to the appointment. I can't walk" its so so so rude.  But think if you just ignore every single time when all this weight is making your life worse and worse and worse, and keep shoving it in until you are 750 pounds with a something hanging between your legs...you must have some type of issues. 

• Love 11
On 2/12/2020 at 7:22 PM, OlyBinewski said:

Elephant in the room.....opiates.  No one is having normal emotions!

And she was as big as one.

On 2/13/2020 at 12:36 AM, magemaud said:

This episode was referred to as a “snooze fest” on the live chat, but I think it was more of a “whine fest.” 

“It’s haaaard...”

"I'm doing the best I cannn"

On 2/13/2020 at 9:37 AM, nokat said:

OMG, anyone who hasn't seen that Monty Python skit, get thee to google. It is gross and hilarious.

Bon appetit!

On 2/13/2020 at 11:27 AM, ams1001 said:

She is either sincerely delusional and was honestly convinced she could not get of the house and into a van, or...she just didn't want to, because that would be hard. 

It's abusive!

On 2/13/2020 at 2:41 PM, 88Keys said:

Once I realized they were high, the episode made a LOT more sense.

I do not know how I missed this - will now have to watch the extended tonight.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Meowwww said:

My doctor puts it all in his computer, which lights up like a Christmas tree if any severe side effects or contraindications are there.  

It was ten years ago when that happened (I always remember it was during the 2010 Winter Olympics - I watched a lot of curling that week); the prescriptions were still on paper. Now they just send them electronically right from the computer in the exam room and they're usually ready by the time I get to the pharmacy.

5 hours ago, JunkFoodTV said:

I am, sadly, re-watching the original. I know I watched it, but I must have missed why it was all mom's fault about the molestation. Did any one catch the reason? Did the mom know the step son was a creeper?

It was mom's fault simply because she moved her into the house with them. There was no indication she believed mom actually knew the stepbrother was a creep. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It would seem that there would barely be enough money to feed the obese person.  They eat enormous amounts of food. Just one day of fast food would be pricey.  I'd think the obese person would be nice and not so demanding, but, I guess that's not true. 

I actually have someone in my family who is a sabotager.  She doesn't realize it.  She doesn't have anyone living with her that is morbidly obese, but, there are family members nearby her that try to diet, yet she will often prepare 2 cakes, brownies, cobbler, all in one day! My dad tells her that he wants to cut back and lose a few pounds, but, she ignores it.   This is knowing that others do not want or need that food.  She just can't stop herself. She doesn't even eat it!  I have been known to cut a big piece and throw it in the garbage wrapped in paper towel.  Her feelings are hurt if you don't eat it.  lol  Other times, I indulge. Ugghh....

The early James, the accountant, who owned land for a side hay growing business episode.  His obese mom had overfed her husband and daughter to their death.  Then after 700 lb James had his surgery, she fed him an enormous plate of fatty meat and other garbage.  He tried to eat it and got so sick he finally yelled at her.  

I also believe that Nikki's mom was a deliberate emotional and food sabotager, for control reasons and her dad was a misguided enabler.

Christina's family seemed to have made a career as feeders.  Which is just as bad.   There are so many in the early years that made more sense as to the why.

Also amazing is how in only an hour, we saw much more authentic story lines without all the drama.

As for all the fast food we see, I suspect that is part of the TLC budget. In reality, they are probably eating endless pounds of 50 cents a lb pasta, Taco Bell tacos by the family pack, frozen pizzas, family packs of KFC, and all kinds of other family sized frozen junk.  Inexpensive, high calorie garbage.

Edited by fonfereksglen
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

What amazes me is that Joyce claimed she didn't know if anything actually happened to her from the stepbrother, or if it was a dream.    I wonder if anything actually happened at all.   But she claimed that made her obesity worse, when combined with grandma's overfeeding.         

I wish there was more backstory about why the mother send Joyce to live with the grandmother when she remarried, or did Joyce Jr. say she wouldn't live with the stepfather and brothers?     I can see Joyce Jr pitching a fit when her mother said she was remarrying, and Joyce would have three step brothers.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not recall anyone ever mentioning weight loss surgery as an actual goal for Joyce.  Not her, not Dr. Now, not anyone...  They referenced the "program" multiple times, but never surgery.  Maybe they knew from the beginning that it would never happen.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

What amazes me is that Joyce claimed she didn't know if anything actually happened to her from the stepbrother, or if it was a dream.    I wonder if anything actually happened at all.   But she claimed that made her obesity worse, when combined with grandma's overfeeding.         

I wish there was more backstory about why the mother send Joyce to live with the grandmother when she remarried, or did Joyce Jr. say she wouldn't live with the stepfather and brothers?      

They didn't say but the new husband had 3 kids, so the mom moved in with them. Maybe there was no room for her in their house. She went to live with Grandma and then eventually she was brought to live with them. One night she woke up and brother was rubbing her back. She thinks other things then happened but she isn;;t sure. I think her mom was horrified when she saw how fat she got at Grandmas that she restricted food and Joyce spent her whole life pissing off her mother by over-eating.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, KateHearts said:

wait... described by whom? Were you on TV?

No, no, I'm sorry, no one referred to my specific son's actual room.  I related that quote I heard from somewhere online because it struck me as so true.

My littlesun was grieving for the sudden death of his best platonic girl friend, who died after giving birth to his godson, from a congenital liver condition, and after finishing his stint in the Marines.  He was going through a bad time, yes, but in an 800 sq ft house with 2 men...open the window and let the testosterone out....

It was a bad scene,  fighting, and guns, all legal of course. And unfortunately, police.  Cringe..

But his room... OMG.

I loved the description, but it wasn't about me.

Littlesun is now engaged, employed, out of the house, and asking me for recipes. And I have my room back.

But "bomb went off in a thrift store"  was so on point!

• Love 4
5 hours ago, calpurnia99 said:

Don't feel bad - she's a master manipulator. She even manipulated Dr. Now

I rewatched this and yeah I still can't get over the fact she was saying that even though she was sticking to the 1200 calorie a day diet, she didn't feel like she lost weight, so maybe her body can't lose on 1200 calories (This after losing 200 pounds in 2 months on 1200 calories a day in the hospital) Then right after that, she gets on the video chat with Dr. Now and says she has lost weight. And he says "you look like you gained!" HA! and she says "well I stopped using the oxygen" as proof she lost weight. But she just said she didn't lose any cause 1200 calories was too much food! Lies lies lies, kept getting caught in lies.

She sounded JUST like that horrid Angie person, who was using this sarcastic voice with Dr. Now "Well it costs MUN-NEY" if you all recall that pc of work. Well this Joyce this lady used that same voice and same tone on her video chat when she said "I can't get to the appointment. I can't walk" its so so so rude.  But think if you just ignore every single time when all this weight is making your life worse and worse and worse, and keep shoving it in until you are 750 pounds with a something hanging between your legs...you must have some type of issues. 

Well put.  If you think that's true, just shut your mouth altogether and STOP EATING and see what happens....duh...YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT;  it's not that complicated!

• Love 4
5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

(I always remember it was during the 2010 Winter Olympics - I watched a lot of curling that week);

Is so judging you right now. Curling as an Olympic sport.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, IvySpice said:

I had the same thought process. So disappointed to see all her excuses and the I can’t do anything attitude play out. 

• Love 1

We are finally catching up via DVR to this episode. A Valentine’s Day treat. 

First thing - holy mother of gross! That second belly looks like a ripe cheese rind with warts over the top of the green mold. Imagine the stench? 

Then the close ups and the bathing. Good lord good lord almighty. One for the ages. How is she even alive.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
22 minutes ago, Scratches19 said:

We are finally catching up via DVR to this episode. A Valentine’s Day treat. 

First thing - holy mother of gross! That second belly looks like a ripe cheese rind with warts over the top of the green mold. Imagine the stench? 

Then the close ups and the bathing. Good lord good lord almighty. One for the ages. How is she even alive.

You win the writing contest with ripe cheese rind with warts over the top of green mold. Also, thanks for the dry heaves.

Edited by nokat
  • LOL 10