Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Joyce's Story

• Start Topic

Heh heh, I'm here re-watching this miserable heifer too. It was hilarious when Dr. Now was pushing her big ass in a wheelchair and she kept complaining that just moving her feet was too hard!

Her mom literally had to fly in to Houston with a wheelchair to add to the special cab, walker and motorized scooter it took to haul her in to Dr. Now's office, and of course the scale is wrong and she gained 58 pounds of water.

Oh joy, it's the infamous fake heart attack scene! Hee.😆

• LOL 4
6 minutes ago, magemaud said:

New drinking game. Take a shot every time Joyce says “medical transport” 

I actually just popped a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc into the freezer.

Ugh, forgot how much I can't stand this PITA manipulative sow.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

27 minutes ago, magemaud said:

New drinking game. Take a shot every time Joyce says “medical transport” 

I actually just popped a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc into the freezer.

So I bet now the bottle is empty! 

• LOL 4

Okay Joyce just said "medical transport" again since Dr. Now got her one to use to haul her to his clinic for a follow-up after three months but my wine's not cold enough to drink yet!😊

Beginning weight - 758; initial weight loss, 205 pounds down to 553; now back up to 623 pounds. What a loser and not in a good way.

• Love 2

You know how at the end of every appointment Dr. Now always says “If you need anything, give me a call”? It cracked me up tonight when he added, “except medical transport.” 

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

My husband pretends to ignore this show but tonight he said, "Is that blonde woman her daughter?" and couldn't believe it when I said she was Joyce's MOTHER. 

Later when Joyce was talking about practicing getting her walker "over the threshold" to go outside, he said "Well, nobody's going to carry her over the threshold!" 

• LOL 13
45 minutes ago, magemaud said:

My husband pretends to ignore this show but tonight he said, "Is that blonde woman her daughter?" and couldn't believe it when I said she was Joyce's MOTHER. 

Later when Joyce was talking about practicing getting her walker "over the threshold" to go outside, he said "Well, nobody's going to carry her over the threshold!" 

All I can say to Mr. magemaud after that brilliant observation is:

876817805_tenor(4).gif.c05ff90b1fac2b0bcdd88781abb2ec01.gif

His monogrammed pair of gasoline soaked drawers is in the mail!😁

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Chicklet said:

Ok I finally heard something I've never heard before on this show "I'm having residual pain from being in pain for so long". Uhh whut?

It's killing me to validate anything Joyce says, but this really is how pain works.  Chronic pain changes your nerves and is like a forest fire.  Once the match is lit, bad things are sent in motion that are hard to stop.  Having said that, my guess is that she read something on the internet about maladaptive pain and decided that's what she has because it sounds dramatic.

• Useful 5
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

I'm here re-watching this miserable heifer too.

Because I've watched Twilight Zone too many times... It's a cook book.  That heifer could feed a crowd.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

I always wanted to open a little bookshop, with cookbooks and a coffee machine, and a few small tables and chairs, and I would sell muffins and breakfast pastries.  I was going to call it "It's a Cookbook!"  My husband said that was a stupid name for a store.  I never got around to it.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, knuckles491 said:

I always wanted to open a little bookshop, with cookbooks and a coffee machine, and a few small tables and chairs, and I would sell muffins and breakfast pastries.  I was going to call it "It's a Cookbook!"  My husband said that was a stupid name for a store.  I never got around to it.

Your husband is incorrect. Hold on tight to your dream! 

• Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, knuckles491 said:

Hi @knuckles491. Just so you and hubby know, there's already such a place in Washington, D.C. called Kramerbooks & Afterwards.

I have more information about the place if you're interested but will take that over to the Small Talk topic which is for non-show related discussions.

Like @Tabbygirl521 said, don't give up your dream.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Additional comments.
5 hours ago, nokat said:

Because I've watched Twilight Zone too many times... It's a cook book.  That heifer could feed a crowd.

I too have watched The Twilight Zone a bunch of times and just wanted to thank you @nokat for your efforts "To Serve Man" with your post. 😉

• LOL 3
12 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

I too have watched The Twilight Zone a bunch of times and just wanted to thank you @nokat for your efforts "To Serve Man" with your post. 😉

I hope they like fatty meat. How long would it take to render off that fat? I think I just made myself a vegan. Urp.

• LOL 2
19 minutes ago, nokat said:

I hope they like fatty meat. How long would it take to render off that fat? I think I just made myself a vegan. Urp.

Hahaha, that would be a whole lotta chicharrones/pork rinds after the rendering!😊

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
17 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Hahaha, that would be a whole lotta chicharrones/pork rinds after the rendering!😊

Has a bag of pork rinds, thank you for me not eating those, but thinking of the sizzling fat made me hungry.  I already know,I'm going to hell in a hand basket, hopefully with gasoline soaked drawers.

Edited by nokat
  • LOL 5
On 2/13/2020 at 8:26 AM, AZChristian said:

Honestly, these people are so deluded about what they're doing that he needs to SHOW them EVERYTHING about what the program involves on Day 1.

Joyce was pathetic, no doubt, but so is Dr. Now's diet. It needs to include fat. These patients do not need vegetables; they're severely diabetic. They need fat. So Dr. Now sucks in that regard.

On 2/13/2020 at 10:39 AM, Pondlass1 said:

What a waste of everyone’s time.

This is Joyce in a super-jumbo-sized nutshell. "Hard to be the Lard" from another posted was golden. Well done.

I knew Joyce would fail the second I saw her face. She looks like a doll gone demented; little beady eyes, a vague, wobbling slit for a mouth, and a very calculating expression. She's one who will never change because she is happy shoveling shit down her throat all day and being a professional victim. "Wah, wah, I hurt all day" apparently isn't bad enough to make her change anything. It boggles the mind. Maybe if Dr. Now showed people like Joyce death certificates he'd signed, with names omitted? That might be a HIPAA violation, I don't know; in the state where my mother died, death certificates become perusable by the public. I am probably barking up the wrong tree; if Joyce won't change knowing that she weighs 7.5 times what she should, then nothing will induce her to change.

This is perhaps the fourth episode where they've shown the pounder and family/friends just sitting around, staring at each other. I remember it vividly from Vianey and Allen's episode, for example. Given the mental prowess in the subjects of these two episodes, maybe that is really what they do... just sit around, not talking, staring at one another. Working out something to say, or perhaps they're just off on an intergalactic quest for new delicacies to wolf down. Or are the producers making them do this? It's really strange.

• Love 1
On 2/13/2020 at 11:55 AM, Kid said:

What is really unfair is comparing this lump of fat to the 600  hundred pounder who worked hard, lost weight, was trying to go back to college, and dies of a heart condition. She would’ve been a value to society and was trying to her best to live her best life.  And this lump of lard screams unfair!

I still don't get the attitude toward Kelly. She squandered a lot of time ordering crap food while in the rehab facility; looked to be a lot of Cheesecake Factory bags blurred out in the background. She made one call to a college but that doesn't mean she was actively working toward going back. Her affect and demeanor screamed "severe depression" even when she'd managed to lose weight, and she was sullen and childish in her dealings with other people. She was not someone I'd prefer to be around, so I see her "being a value to society" differently. Henry Foots was someone I was really rooting for; I actually cried when I finished his episode. He is the only participant in this show who did not come across as narcissistic to me. Every other pounder on this show has all kinds of narcissistic flags popping up during their episodes. Every single one.

20 hours ago, Ralphster said:

I still don't get the attitude toward Kelly. She squandered a lot of time ordering crap food while in the rehab facility; looked to be a lot of Cheesecake Factory bags blurred out in the background. She made one call to a college but that doesn't mean she was actively working toward going back. Her affect and demeanor screamed "severe depression" even when she'd managed to lose weight, and she was sullen and childish in her dealings with other people. She was not someone I'd prefer to be around, so I see her "being a value to society" differently. Henry Foots was someone I was really rooting for; I actually cried when I finished his episode. He is the only participant in this show who did not come across as narcissistic to me. Every other pounder on this show has all kinds of narcissistic flags popping up during their episodes. Every single one.

I would disagree about the extent of the narcissism. 

Penny was the first.  But in contrast,  just to point out a few individuals caught up in their horrific food needs in the early years after Penny ... Paula, James1, Christina, Tara,  Susan,  Angel, Chad and so many others .... came across quite differently than the web spinning Penny.

I also think narcissism is used too easily to describe needy, demanding individuals.  True narcissists are malevolent people who willingly hurt or destroy others to get what they want.

• Love 3
(edited)

We'll have to agree to disagree. Narcissism is a spectrum personality disorder. The pounders all seem preoccupied with themselves and struggle to empathise with other people. Some are more malevolent than others - Chuck comes to mind - but they are every one of them self-absorbed, infantile, and regressed. It's disturbing to see.

Edited by Ralphster
On 7/27/2020 at 8:27 PM, Ralphster said:

This is perhaps the fourth episode where they've shown the pounder and family/friends just sitting around, staring at each other. I remember it vividly from Vianey and Allen's episode, for example. Given the mental prowess in the subjects of these two episodes, maybe that is really what they do... just sit around, not talking, staring at one another. Working out something to say, or perhaps they're just off on an intergalactic quest for new delicacies to wolf down. Or are the producers making them do this? It's really strange.

Part of this may be awkwardness of filming. Some are more uncomfortable than others. Reality shows tend to set up fake conditions to make the show more interesting, but in real life I think we're all probably a little boring. A good chunk of my family's time is spent playing board games, playing video games, watching movies, reading, or working on the computer. Our conversations are often not meaningful to others, just small talk or talks about our day. We do discuss literature, politics, and world events but we don't do that all the time. None of this would make for compelling tv. A lot of times they're not allowed to have music playing or the TV on because the production company doesn't want to have to take all of that out in post production.

(edited)

They're rerunning Joyce's episode.    Joyce, her mother, and Dawn (the friend/caregiver) are so stoned through this.   I don't believe her mother was abusive, how many times have they shown a little kid that was huge, and people were saying someone should try to help them.  In this case the mother tried, and now it's abuse?      I wonder why Mother Joyce (mother and daughter have the same name) left daughter Joyce behind when she moved in with the husband/boyfriend?     It could have been for a lot of reasons, and maybe Joyce didn't want to move in with the new guy and his kids?     

Joyce's arrival at the hospital is so sad.  She's so passive, and detached from everything.      How can she be surprised at weighing 758 at the hospital?   Joyce staying the hospital, and demanding to go home is ridiculous.   She just wants to go home to get back to her food supply and her enablers.    Joyce's mother and Dawn just sitting around, and staring at each other was bizarre.     Joyce's idea of physical exercise for PT was so pathetic, she wasn't even trying.    Dr. Now gave her every chance to help herself, and she didn't even try.     Mother Joyce and Dawn aren't helping either.    

Joyce's claim she can't lose any weight following the 1200 calorie diet was funny. There is no way that she followed the diet, and 1200 calories.   I think it was more like 12,000 calories.   Dr. Now getting her that scooter was so nice of him, and she proved she could ride in the accessible taxi just fine.      

When she's gained 58 lbs. in six weeks, I was not surprised.   Her excuses, including the infamous water weight excuse is so funny.    Then demanding the medical transport is so pathetic, and then the faked heart attack.  Then, she's gained even more weight back.    

Her demands for medical transport, and her fake heart attack at Dr. Now's office are hysterical.   

Joyce chopping the stuff for the omelet, right next to her potty chair was definitely disgusting.  

The ending with Joyce lurching out onto the patio while her mother and Dawn were cheering her on was pathetic.    She had every chance to succeed, and didn't even try. 

My guess is (I graduated from the medical school of 600 lb., ER, Grey's, and Marcus Welby), that Joyce's bad circulation, and her constant infections in her various growths will do her in.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Her demands for medical transport, and her fake heart attack at Dr. Now's office are hysterical. 

That and her performance at the appointment with Lola make me break out in fits of laughter every time I see them.  Medical Transport Jabba-Joyce was entertaining unlike this year’s poundticipants.

• LOL 3

Ack!!! I had forgotten what a train wreck this was.   I need to go back and read what I said in the live chat, but I hate to do that as I find so many typos in my comments.

She did get a nicer apartment than almost all the other poundticipants.  I think maybe her mother had money, because she could afford to fly down to Texas on a moment's notice, and I think she bought some equipment for Joyce.

I had this on while I was doing cross-sums or, as they are now called Kakuro, and could have sworn I heard her refer to a diet as abusive which was a rather strange comment.  I went back and played it over and, yes, she refers to a diet as "abusive."  I wish Lola had gone into this a little during the family therapy.  Did Joyce mean that the mother was abusive because she put her on a diet?    Was the mother abusive because Joyce refused to  follow the diet?  was the diet itself abusive because it restrained her from overeating?

It was a bit disturbing to watch her make and eat the "healthy" omelette with peppers.  She shoveled it into her mouth just like she shoveled all the non-diet food that she was eating in Missouri and was still eating in Texas when the cameras were gone.  Otherwise she would have lost weight. 

15 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Joyce's claim she can't lose any weight following the 1200 calorie diet was funny. There is no way that she followed the diet, and 1200 calories.   I think it was more like 12,000 calories. 

I was wondering if she did read the 1200 and think it meant 12000.  That would make sense in her delusional world.  Maybe she just isn't good at maths.

On 6/4/2020 at 5:48 AM, cynicat said:

It's killing me to validate anything Joyce says, but this really is how pain works.  Chronic pain changes your nerves and is like a forest fire.  Once the match is lit, bad things are sent in motion that are hard to stop.  Having said that, my guess is that she read something on the internet about maladaptive pain and decided that's what she has because it sounds dramatic.

I was wondering if based on her bad eating habits if she wasn't malnourished.  I always think of the super obese man on Brookhaven who complained of pain, and they finally discovered he had rickets from not being able to go out into the sunshine and because his eating habit was deficient in vitamin D.

If I were Dawn,  I would be long gone.   She just didn't seem like she cared anymore by the time the show was ending except that she faked it for the balcony scene.   She reminded me of a demented Elsa Lanchester in some horror movie that I have forgotten or the supposed ax murderer in the "Off to Florida" episode of "I Love Lucy."

I saw this and part of the catfisher and it reminded me that last season was almost as bad as the current one.   I don't mind an occasional train wreck, but I would like to see at least one train reach the WLS station this season.

(edited)

They're rerunning Joyce's episode, right before the Supersize episode about William.   

How can Joyce's mother claim to love her and worry about her health, and then give her a gigantic serving of lasagna?  Enabler's like the mother and Dawn make me so angry.  

Who could forget Joyce's friend Dawn reaching deep in her nether regions for bathing or whatever, and Joyce's fake heart attack at Dr. Now's exam room 5.   

The fake heart attack was epic.  The mother is such an enabler, and believes whatever line of bull pucky Joyce says. 58 lb. gain excuses are funny, but the mother believes them. 

Dr. Now coming into Joyce's ER room is hysterical.   I know she's sick, but her resistence to everything Dr. Now requires is so wrong.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama