Type keyword(s) to search

2020 Audition Speculation

ByTor
  • Start Topic

21 minutes ago, Holly85 said:

Have you watched the just for kicks podcast on nothing but auditions 

Nah.  I haven’t.   Just saw a few things on social media about people making it through to  various rounds and came here to find out more about what it all meant ;).  This board has always been my best resource in finding out what’s going on, but maybe I’ll check the podcasts out.  

21 minutes ago, MyFavShows said:

Nah.  I haven’t.   Just saw a few things on social media about people making it through to  various rounds and came here to find out more about what it all meant ;).  This board has always been my best resource in finding out what’s going on, but maybe I’ll check the podcasts out.  

Dcc just for kicks is the name of it 

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, BluegrassDCCFan said:

Do we know if there's even going to be a training camp/football season yet????

The NFL has said all training camps must be held in home stadiums so the Cowboys wont be going to Oxnard. I dont know if this will have an impact with the girls but could make the stadium harder to access for their practices?

Edited by Jesiklyn
  • Useful 3

I do wonder how many, if any, girls auditioned and made it through the first round but then pulled out cause they weren't serious. Or make it through to training camp but dont turn up, since it was all via video and they haven't actually had to commit as much as usual re travel and money. I also wonder if they would ever tell us

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Jesiklyn said:

The NFL has said all training camps must be held in home stadiums so the Cowboys wont be going to Arlington. I dont know if this will have an impact with the girls but could make the stadium harder to access for their practices?

There home stadium is in Arlington they won’t be going to Oxnard in California 

• Useful 1
3 minutes ago, Holly85 said:

There home stadium is in Arlington they won’t be going to Oxnard in California 

Whoops yes that's what I meant. I have amended my post

Just now, Jesiklyn said:

Whoops yes that's what I meant. I have amended my post

Oh and nfl said if states can have fans in the stands at 50 percent if their state governor says it’s ok

• Useful 2

This audition process has its merits.  I like that each judge is watching each candidate perform on their own.  The added scrutiny should yield fairer results. It’s clear to me that traditional auditions with five candidates dancing at the same time allows judges to form wildly different opinions as they catch different parts of performances.  Also, TCCs will be the ladies that TPTB are serious about.  I like that Kelli mentioned there would be no courtesy invites this year.  I don’t recall ever hearing that stated previously.

Moreover, I bet some candidates will learn better from tape.  Perfect it at home and then bring it to the studio.

Obviously, this format means TPTB will not have a sense of a lady’s memory, ability to perform under pressure and to stand out.  I imagine first cuts will be swift.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Busy said:

Who made training camp?

The girls find out today who will join the 30 returning vets at Finals-Training Camp as they are calling it on their website.  However, they don’t list a time like they did before.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, scorpio1031 said:

The girls find out today who will join the 30 returning vets at Finals-Training Camp as they are calling it on their website.  However, they don’t list a time like they did before.

Unfortunately, nothing is like before. We have zero visibility! Zero!

18 hours ago, MyFavShows said:

So they are going to bring girls into training camp who they have never actually seen in person.  That’s daring.

What I also think is daring is that for all they know, every single one they're bringing into finals/TC could have memories like Morgan.  They had a really long time to learn the routine/kickline.

• Love 6
Just now, ByTor said:

What I also think is daring is that for all they know, every single one they're bringing into finals/TC could have memories like Morgan.  They had a really long time to learn the routine/kickline.

Yes. I think that’s why it’s good in theory that they have 30 veterans coming back to TC, because they can take a very small rookie class if needed.

• Love 5

The DCC wants diversity, but only in skin color.  They want minority women who have bodies that look like stereotypical white women.  And, if they don't have the right hair, they make them wear a wig.

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, TexasLonghorn94 said:

Does anyone know how far Annabelle (the girl Kelli tweeted about with the cows) made it?

Her name is Annabelle Afzali and her instagram (annabellieee) is private so I have no clue how far she made it although I assume she at least made the first cut based on Kelli's video.

I am basically constantly refreshing instagram and just waiting for people to post hahaha. Unfortunately unless DCC officially posts something I'm not sure how much we will know because my list for girls that made it through the first round only had about 15 likely or confirmed and there was only one girl that I know officially confirmed through to the interviews (Marissa Garrison: themarissagarrison) and I'm assuming Claire Wolford (clairewolford) made it through as well but I don't know of anyone else confirmed. So the girls who made it through might be completely off this boards radar at the moment.

The video from Scott made it clear that there were 30 rookies picked to do interviews and camp roster is usually in the mid 40s at the beginning. With 30 returning vets I'm thinking they could take as few as 10 and if they have to have a smaller squad this year because girls suck in person then they might do that. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, SmpIsimon said:

The DCC wants diversity, but only in skin color.  They want minority women who have bodies that look like stereotypical white women.  And, if they don't have the right hair, they make them wear a wig.

They seem to hate body diversity in all of their cheerleaders and they have cut non minorities for having the "wrong" body which has always been crazy to me. Like if you want no jiggle when they jump ok thats one thing, but cutting some girls for having short legs or bigger muscles is wild. 

I am really hopeful that they start to be more hair diverse because I really think some girls like past DCC Jace look better with their natural hair texture. For Kat, it seems like a personal preference with the wigs although I wonder if they would have straightened her natural hair (or if she would have even gotten into camp if she didn't show up with straight hair). 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, SmpIsimon said:

Which is ridiculous because I remember seeing WOC on DCC with afros. 

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, Christineelgene said:

Sasha and Robin are the only ones I can think of.

Sasha has curly hair and Robin wore curls.  I thought we were talking about afros or truly kinky hair of a different texture.

Sasha.jpg

Robin.png

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Christineelgene said:

Sasha and Robin are the only ones I can think of.

Ok but both Sasha and Robin's hair were well within the range of curly hair seen on white DCC (Courtney Cook comes to mind). There have been girls with much tighter curling afro-style hair that have made it into finals but I can't remember anyone in TCC or on the Team with hair that can be seen on other teams:

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Meleighsa said:

@Kitkatkitty The pics that you shared are the look that I thought we were discussing.  As you said, the Sasha and Robin curls could be on any of the white DCC.

Right! And I agree with you that DCC hasn't had any girls on the team with that type of hair at least since the show has started and I'm hoping DCC can embrace this style of hair more because its beautiful and more diverse then adding a couple of redheads. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Kitkatkitty said:

Right! And I agree with you that DCC hasn't had any girls on the team with that type of hair at least since the show has started and I'm hoping DCC can embrace this style of hair more because its beautiful and more diverse then adding a couple of redheads. 

If I try to get into Kelly’s head for a second...  it’s a hair flip thing.  Same reason why we don’t see women with super short hair of any race.  It detracts from the movement on the field.  Think about how many times a routine the girls flip their hair.

Not saying I agree with it, just a thought.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, SmpIsimon said:

6 minutes ago, aimeelou625 said:

If I try to get into Kelly’s head for a second...  it’s a hair flip thing.  Same reason why we don’t see women with super short hair of any race.  It detracts from the movement on the field.  Think about how many times a routine the girls flip their hair.

Not saying I agree with it, just a thought.

I think that Kelli does not want to see cancles or thutts, not on a WOC or an Asian or Caucasian.

Short, stocky limbs are not a characteristic of a race, the same applies to long limbs.

All humans are able to have the DCC body-type, claiming otherwise would be questionable.  There is nothing stereotypical about a DCC body.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
53 minutes ago, PepperM said:

I just combed social media for any mentions of an announcement and nothing 😞 anyone else find anything yet?

The girls who made semi finals were told at 7 pm, so I wonder if that is the time today as well.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Kitkatkitty said:

Ok but both Sasha and Robin's hair were well within the range of curly hair seen on white DCC (Courtney Cook comes to mind). There have been girls with much tighter curling afro-style hair that have made it into finals but I can't remember anyone in TCC or on the Team with hair that can be seen on other teams:

Yeah, I don’t understand why DCC can’t have this.  It’s beautiful, they’re beautiful. We WOC have very diverse hair.  

• Love 12

When Jacie was a rookie DCC, her hair was mid length and straight. She looked cute, but it was not until she went natural that her true beauty was released. 

Lexie is pretty, but she seems stiff when she dances. Something is off about it, but I think whatever it is, it’s fixable. 

• Love 4

I personally love curly hair!! My sister has it, and I have straight. I've always been jealous. Brandi Kilby was another one that it made me sad that they straightened her hair. She was so cute in her curls. Jordan Baum had short hair when she tried out and made it, and she was adorable. Ann Lux had shorter hair and at one point, they cut Mckenzie Lee's hair shorter. Christina has shorter hair. So did Rockford Amy. Kaitlin Legrand had short hair. 

2 hours ago, tinabee1967 said:

When Jacie was a rookie DCC, her hair was mid length and straight. She looked cute, but it was not until she went natural that her true beauty was released. 

Lexie is pretty, but she seems stiff when she dances. Something is off about it, but I think whatever it is, it’s fixable. 

Lexie reminds me a little of Ashley Paige in the way she dances, a little stiff in the body. She could do to up the power a bit too as she's very precise but not power pom. She'd fit in looks and personality wise. 

I assume this was the freestyle portion of the audition; she's good but not great. Like she'd be a blender if she made it but a reliable blender if that makes sense!

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Pau84 said:

I think that Kelli does not want to see cancles or thutts, not on a WOC or an Asian or Caucasian.

Short, stocky limbs are not a characteristic of a race, the same applies to long limbs.

All humans are able to have the DCC body-type, claiming otherwise would be questionable.  There is nothing stereotypical about a DCC body.

I have to agree none of these women have a realistic body type compared to 99.9% of the public. Similar for hair.

i personally think the lack of natural hair is more due to wanting the hair to be part of a uniform and thus they all basically have some variation of long wavy extensions woth a Center part. Couple curlies, couple bobs and that’s it. They don’t want individual girls to stand out, be different, express their personalities. They want a uniform team.

Would I like to see more diversity? Yes. Are WOC with college degrees be more likely to forgoe a real career and do a full time part time pay dance job? Hell to the no. Upper class Part time college kids and Trophy wives with somebody else bankrolling everything are all about all that can live this lifestyle that DCC needs these days. 

• Love 8

Lexie seems kind of like a Celinda to me, though I think Celinda is prettier and Lexie probably has more dance skills. Still, I agree there's something off about her dancing. I could hear Judy and Kelli saying, "a little clunky," sometimes "pastel" or soft, and needing "more body language" about her dancing. This video doesn't put her on my short list of favorites for training camp--but it's fun to see what the audition videos and full choreo look like.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, mizzhyer said:

She's cute but I agree...she is a clunky and stiff dancer. 

She is stiff like Ashley Paige (KC Chiefs) and stompy like Lauren (blonde they turned brunette). 

• Love 2
On 6/7/2020 at 9:26 PM, Jesiklyn said:

The NFL has said all training camps must be held in home stadiums so the Cowboys wont be going to Oxnard. I dont know if this will have an impact with the girls but could make the stadium harder to access for their practices?

I'm in Maryland, so Ravens practices might be different, but most practices have a morning and afternoon session. Since the gals arrive after 5pm I believe, it shouldn't interfere too much.

• Love 1

I wonder if they will hold more training camp practices outside. There is obviously still a risk of covid-19 transmission outside, but it would lessen the risk to an extent.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

I wonder if they will hold more training camp practices outside. There is obviously still a risk of covid-19 transmission outside, but it would lessen the risk to an extent.

Kickline will be hard to do and arguably usually needs the most work!

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 6/8/2020 at 12:54 PM, VintageJ said:

Which is ridiculous because I remember seeing WOC on DCC with afros. 

That was with the former director, Suzanne Mitchell. I looked at the squad photos from 1991, when Kelli became the director, up through 1999. You can see the beginnings of the big, poufy look that she likes. In the 90's it seems that the cheerleaders of color were still able to keep the curl. I would think due to the trend of curly, big, over-sprayed hair that was still predominant from the 80's. But if you keep looking, you start to see more and more DCCOC(DCC of Color), with straightened hair.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Muckypup61 said:

That was with the former director, Suzanne Mitchell. I looked at the squad photos from 1991, when Kelli became the director, up through 1999. You can see the beginnings of the big, poufy look that she likes. In the 90's it seems that the cheerleaders of color were still able to keep the curl. I would think due to the trend of curly, big, over-sprayed hair that was still predominant from the 80's. But if you keep looking, you start to see more and more DCCOC(DCC of Color), with straightened hair.

Yeah, the WOCOC I saw with afros was in the 70s. But they really could use more diverse hairstyles amongst WOCOC. 

• Love 2
(edited)
3 minutes ago, VintageJ said:

Yeah, the WOCOC I saw with afros was in the 70s. But they really could use more diverse hairstyles amongst WOCOC. 

Oh, I agree! Mitchell seemed happy to let the WOC keep the natural texture of their hair. Kelli lets a few stay curly, but she seems to prefer a bigger, corkscrew type of curls. Or large, soft waves. 

Edited by Muckypup61
grammar
  • Love 2