Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: The Ground Shifts Beneath Us

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

To air on January 15, 2020:

After a major accident at O'Hare, the E.D. is concerned one of their own is in mortal danger. Will's proposal for a safe injection site goes to the board for consideration. Natalie and Goodwin become concerned for Gwen.

I'm liking Dr. Marcel more with each episode. Ethan and his judgmental self needed to mind his own business , like Dr. Marcel told him to. Watching him eat crow as Dr. Abrams shut him down. 

What did Sharon expect? Did she really think that Gwen was going to let the safe injection site be approved after she and Natalie told her husband the truth. Like Ethan, those two needed to mind their business.

Next time I need Gwen to lock Ethan, April and Natalie in a car. I'm so over the judgmental trio.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, spunky said:

Ethan and his judgmental self needed to mind his own business , like Dr. Marcel told him to. Watching him eat crow as Dr. Abrams shut him down. 

Choi eating crow was the best thing I've seen on this show. Abrams really gave it to him.

And Halstead's "lack of brain" disease kicks in once again.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 10

I swear they pull a name out of a hat & then spin the wheel to see whether they get to be hypocritical, sanctimonious, judgemental, belligerent, obnoxious or just downright insufferable.

Every single week.

I will admit I was wrong....pretty much thought the baby was going to die. although from the time the mother mentioned the red hair it was always going to be an IVF stuff up....still shocked it didn't die though. (Lucky Natalie was too busy pontificating elsewhere)

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

Well, this is a Dick Wolf production but he needs to stop "plagiarizing" from his other franchise shows😄.   The IVF was taken directly from L & O SVU several years back.  That episode became a criminal case but ended somewhat civilly--this one didn't have all that drama but simply took the high road.    And seriously, who didn't know this would be the whole "switched" embryos scenario--especially after the red hair comment.  Maybe I've seen too many medical shows with the same storyline.

Will and his "brainstorm" of safe injection was taken directly from New Amsterdam's 2nd season.  These medical shows are definitely piggy-backing on each other.  Let Will lose his license (again?), privileges, etc.   He's pathetic knowing he has all this to lose if caught.

April - She's absurd and laughable; can she just be gone?   Her realization that IVF could be an option just occurred to her after seeing the two families?  I imagine the fact that she "discussed" it with Choi was at least a step in the right direction.  IMO, Choi still needs to run away as fast as possible.

Choi/Abrams/Marcel - I wasn't surprised that it was't Abrams but was quite astonished that he was married and that his wife, of 3 months, knew what he would want--not the daughter.  Have they ever explored his backstory before now??   And at least disapproving Choi admitted his culpability and was contrite that  he was wrong with Marcel showing an honorable side.   I like Marcel but just so unsure how Marcel's "character" will unfold.  One minute he seems decent, then at other times,  they write him as devious, shifty and sly.  Who knows how these writers will play out their dynamic after Choi's declaration/acknowledgment? 

Gwen - I've never really understood why she is even in this show?  Sharon has been a main character from the inception with Gwen as recurring.   She's not interesting (character-wise) and clearly vindictive and self-serving.  I didn't even know she was married with a child (knew the actor was preggers IRL).   She can be gone from the show, too.  Natalie - Ms. Judgmental once again but now they've made Sharon somewhat of he "offender" to save her in that scenario between Gwen/husband. 

Edited by cathmed
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I disagree completely the police should have been called and a report made.   How would Sharon feel if Gwen left the baby in the backseat again and the baby died, then what?

Natalie is the one that found the baby.  It wasn't as if Gwen realized right away what she had done.  Plain and simple child neglect on Gwen's part.

If Sharon wanted to, she could have told Gwen that if the injection site wasn't approved, that she would call the police and tell them about the baby Gwen left in the car.  Chances are Gwen would have lost her job as a result and perhaps faced criminal charges.   I wouldn't have liked that scenario, because a baby's safety shouldn't be used in an extortion scheme..

There is no doubt the police would have been called if this scenario occurred with a non-recurring character.

THIS ^^ - I was actually thinking that would be how the scenario would unfold.  Gwen's been there so little, it would be no great loss if she were gone, permanently, from the show.

• Love 5

And what was with Choi running in like some high functioning mute to start CPR to save 'not abrams'.....could he have not called out as he was weirdly running through the ED that it was a mistake. Instead of barging in, starting CPR & not bothering to utter a word to anyone until Abrams walks in.

Also I'm pretty sure there are a few more checks and balances before you willy nilly 'pull the plug' especially on a patient who's whole face is unrecognisable.

I feel sorry for the poor guy in the bed, I mean how unlucky was he, switched seats on a doomed flight & then ended up at Med with these bunch of muppets. His card was well and truly stamped.

Edited by Guildford
  • Love 12
10 hours ago, milner said:

My tv quit recording for about twenty minutes. Can somebody please tell me what the story was with Gwens baby and why did the newborn IV baby need donors. Thank you in advance 

At the beginning of the episode we see Gwen exit her car in a bit of a fussed and distracted manner. Later Natalie parks her car nearby and notices there is a baby in the car. She breaks into the car and rushes the hypothermic baby into the ER. Gwen begs them not to “say anything” as she is in a nasty custody fight with her soon to be ex.

The baby was born prematurely and started to turn blue. Tests were run and the baby has a rare genetic condition for which there is no cure but would require a lung transplant. It is possible to do a living donor transplant with two lobes from matching donors.

I went to college, in real life, with Oliver Platt’s brother so it was a tiny bit weird to hear of the factionalized addiction and death of his character.

• Love 2

I've decided the writers are not only incompetent but complete idiots.  There is NO way that a hospital would let someone remove life support from a patient whose identity had not been confirmed.  Has anyone heard of blood tests (to start) or DNA testing?  I mean seriously. 

Also, there was no evidence that "Abrams" was brain dead.  They said his brain was fine, just that he would be a quadriplegic.  Thus, he would have at some point awakened and had full cognitive function -- and be able to make his own decisions.  I think the hospital would have required the wife wait until this played out.  No way would they make a decision that quickly essentially to kill someone who would be mentally fine and might want to continue life . . . and it may be very frightening to some people that a hospital would/could allow this to happen.

Not to mention that airlines keep very good track of people who board a flight.  I suppose you could give your boarding pass to someone without going to the gate agent but I've never seen anyone do that.  It would be moronic because, when you try to get a seat on another flight, the airline has you on a flight that's already taken off/landed.  I imagine they'd be calling security in a HURRY to sort that one out.  Finally, airlines check and double check before they release the list of passengers just so crap like this doesn't happen.

I didn't for a minute believe that patient was Abrams.  Not for one minute.  I just waited for him to show up.  The actor actually looked embarrassed to be in this episode and I was embarrassed watching him.

The other dumb plot was the mixup at the IVF place.  I've never done IVF but I would imagine that these things are VERY tightly controlled -- at least at legit places.  This was like a bad comedy:  wrong mother, wrong father, wrong mother and father.  You know that if this sort of thing happened in real life, it would be all over the news.  It just doesn't happen and, again, could frighten people unnecessarily.

This show is a joke.  And not a good one.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, dogdays2 said:

I've decided the writers are not only incompetent but complete idiots.  There is NO way that a hospital would let someone remove life support from a patient whose identity had not been confirmed.  Has anyone heard of blood tests (to start) or DNA testing?  I mean seriously. 

Also, there was no evidence that "Abrams" was brain dead.  They said his brain was fine, just that he would be a quadriplegic.  Thus, he would have at some point awakened and had full cognitive function -- and be able to make his own decisions.  I think the hospital would have required the wife wait until this played out.  No way would they make a decision that quickly essentially to kill someone who would be mentally fine and might want to continue life . . . and it may be very frightening to some people that a hospital would/could allow this to happen.

Not to mention that airlines keep very good track of people who board a flight.  I suppose you could give your boarding pass to someone without going to the gate agent but I've never seen anyone do that.  It would be moronic because, when you try to get a seat on another flight, the airline has you on a flight that's already taken off/landed.  I imagine they'd be calling security in a HURRY to sort that one out.  Finally, airlines check and double check before they release the list of passengers just so crap like this doesn't happen.

I didn't for a minute believe that patient was Abrams.  Not for one minute.  I just waited for him to show up.  The actor actually looked embarrassed to be in this episode and I was embarrassed watching him.

The other dumb plot was the mixup at the IVF place.  I've never done IVF but I would imagine that these things are VERY tightly controlled -- at least at legit places.  This was like a bad comedy:  wrong mother, wrong father, wrong mother and father.  You know that if this sort of thing happened in real life, it would be all over the news.  It just doesn't happen and, again, could frighten people unnecessarily.

This show is a joke.  And not a good one.

↑↑ THIS ↑↑ 

ITA, but I watch this with the mindset that this is a very bad show. I have many fun moments coming to this forum to see all the reactions and comments. There is very little reality in the show but many LOL moments.

• Love 1

Is Med a Trauma 1 hospital? Does it have a dedicated burn center? Are there NO other hospitals between O'Hare and downtown? It's about an hour's drive and these patients could be dead by the time they get there!

ETA: I was also quite surprised the Ethics Board sided with Abrams' wife. As others here have said, he wasn't brain dead. Would his quality of life be compromised? Sure. But he would still be able to speak and think for himself. Lots of people are quadriplegic or paraplegic. They still somehow manage to live their lives. Pulling the plug when there's still brain activity is tantamount to murder and there's no way a hospital would sign off on that.

Edited by Sake614
  • Love 4
37 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

Is Med a Trauma 1 hospital? Does it have a dedicated burn center? Are there NO other hospitals between O'Hare and downtown? It's about an hour's drive and these patients could be dead by the time they get there!

ETA: I was also quite surprised the Ethics Board sided with Abrams' wife. As others here have said, he wasn't brain dead. Would his quality of life be compromised? Sure. But he would still be able to speak and think for himself. Lots of people are quadriplegic or paraplegic. They still somehow manage to live their lives. Pulling the plug when there's still brain activity is tantamount to murder and there's no way a hospital would sign off on that.

As mentioned before: there is very little reality on this very bad show. Even more-so that they had Abrams agree with the "plug pulling," although I did enjoy Choi getting chastised.

Edited by preeya

I can hand-wave Abrams agreeing to pull the plug. He had no details and probably thought the patient was brain dead. Or maybe it was just his wishes that should he ever be in that position, he wouldn't want to be on life support. I am surprised he doesn't have everything in writing someplace for a worst-case scenario. 

But even before we 'knew' Abrams was the patient, my initial reaction to 'accident at ORD' was what I mentioned: is there NO other hospital that's closer to the airport? I can see airlifting severe burn or cardiac patients to trauma centers, but that's not what happened. This guy was brought in by ambulance after an approx 1-hour drive! ::shaking head::

• Love 1
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I disagree completely the police should have been called and a report made.   How would Sharon feel if Gwen left the baby in the backseat again and the baby died, then what?

Natalie is the one that found the baby.  It wasn't as if Gwen realized right away what she had done.  Plain and simple child neglect on Gwen's part.

If Sharon wanted to, she could have told Gwen that if the injection site wasn't approved, that she would call the police and tell them about the baby Gwen left in the car.  Chances are Gwen would have lost her job as a result and perhaps faced criminal charges.   I wouldn't have liked that scenario, because a baby's safety shouldn't be used in an extortion scheme..

There is no doubt the police would have been called if this scenario occurred with a non-recurring character.

In real life yes I would expect this to happen. I'm not expecting these writers to make anything realistic on this show.

11 hours ago, preeya said:

Choi eating crow was the best thing I've seen on this show. Abrams really gave it to him.

And Halstead's "lack of brain" disease kicks in once again.

I was cracking up at Choi eating crow. He used his last 2 brain cells to dump Natalie. I'll give Will a pass on this one.

Even though it's unlikely to ever happen, I believe we should enter into a pact that in the event we find ourselves sick and/or injured while in Chicago that we look out for one another and not allow anyone to take us to Chicago Med.

• LOL 8
  • Love 4
20 minutes ago, AnnA said:

Even though it's unlikely to ever happen, I believe we should enter into a pact that in the event we find ourselves sick and/or injured while in Chicago that we look out for one another and not allow anyone to take us to Chicago Med.

I second that! Any lawyers on the board who can draw up a legal document that we can all sign and file with our loved ones? 🙂

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Sake614 said:

I thought the same thing. Why weren’t they waiting to see if he regained consciousness? Why weren’t they looking to see if Abrams had a living will or an advanced directive? 🙄

However, IVF mixups have occurred and do make the news.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, dogdays2 said:

've never done IVF but I would imagine that these things are VERY tightly controlled -- at least at legit places.  T

As someone doing ivf the whole storyline  on this show is a fucking embarrassment. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Chas411 said:

As someone doing ivf the whole storyline  on this show is a fucking embarrassment.

This show is an embarrassment to anyone with a working brain, and that includes Not-Abrams on this week's show.

• LOL 3
16 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

The had me going! Thank goodness acerbic Dr. Abrams is still with us! 😁

I’m glad Manning told the dad the truth. He deserved to know it. 

For real. Gwen is unlikeable to me and for all her worry about losing her son if his dad knew her dumb ass left their Kid in the car, he wouldve been even angrier if the lie stretched out for a longer time 

19 hours ago, spunky said:

I'm liking Dr. Marcel more with each episode. Ethan and his judgmental self needed to mind his own business , like Dr. Marcel told him to. Watching him eat crow as Dr. Abrams shut him down. 

What did Sharon expect? Did she really think that Gwen was going to let the safe injection site be approved after she and Natalie told her husband the truth. Like Ethan, those two needed to mind their business.

Next time I need Gwen to lock Ethan, April and Natalie in a car. I'm so over the judgmental trio.

I have my problems with Natalie and April but Fuck Gwen she shouldnt have tried to put Natalie and Goodwin in that position. Her soon to be ex wouldve been even madder the longer that lie went on cause Gwen was too stupid to remember her infant son was left in the backseat. HOW DARE THEY NOT LIE FOR HER BITCH ASS.(Not yelling at you lol, I'm just stating what I felt last night after Gwen got all mad vowing revenge and stuff)

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

was glad for the Abrams fake out (putting aside the crazy storyline where we're supposed to believe they pull the plug that fast without any finding of brain death)---although I was distracted by "it really looks nothing like him" constantly.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Doctor Charles tells a touching story way to get this proposal through. I thought Sharon was calling for a break, because she realized that Halstead was making stuff up. I assumed when he fumbled around and then said something like "75 studies" show this is a good idea" he actually was just winging it and she realized it was fake data so she wanted to stop him before he went too far with the lie. The fact Dr. Charles had a brother that died at home due to an overdose wouldn't make me jump on board with this idea--there is a real legit question on what to do if someone shoots up and wants to leave---if they'd at least addressed that, it would have helped. Sadly my "Halstead fakes 75 studies to push through his idea" storyline would be really unsurprising for this show. Very in character if I do say so myself.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

I am glad that Nataloon has come to Gwens attention. One can only hope she fired her the next time she breaks the rules.

I hope Gwen loses her Job, fuck her again Natalie gets on my nerves but Gwen SUCKS

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Josh371982 said:

I have my problems with Natalie and April but Fuck Gwen she shouldnt have tried to put Natalie and Goodwin in that position. Her soon to be ex wouldve been even madder the longer that lie went on cause Gwen was too stupid to remember her infant son was left in the backseat. HOW DARE THEY NOT LIE FOR HER BITCH ASS.(Not yelling at you lol, I'm just stating what I felt last night after Gwen got all mad vowing revenge and stuff)

I get what you’re saying. She’s a bit much.

• Love 2

The Michelle reveal was funny. Best moment of the episode. But if someone was unidentifiable, wouldn't they wait for DNA testing before pulling?

Can the other baby mama donate part of her lung while she's pregnant? Wouldn't it harm the fetus?

22 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:

I wasn't a huge fan of the Doctor Charles tells a touching story way to get this proposal through. I thought Sharon was calling for a break, because she realized that Halstead was making stuff up. I assumed when he fumbled around and then said something like "75 studies" show this is a good idea" he actually was just winging it and she realized it was fake data so she wanted to stop him before he went too far with the lie.

I agree that the Dr. Charles sob story shouldn't have turned the tide (and probably didn't; it was just Gwen manipulating) but the 75 studies is probably understating it given how long they've been around and in how many countries. The first safe injection site opened in Rotterdam in the 1970s, Canada's first one in 2003, Autstralia some years later. There are three in my city alone.  I'm encouraged to buy naloxone kits at my local pharmacy.

You can get an idea of some of the studies at this review.

It's a shock to hear that there are no legal safe injection sites in the US.

On 1/16/2020 at 8:25 AM, icemiser69 said:

Security was called and looking for the owner of the car. They should have called the police as soon as they were alerted.

Also, is the baby adopted? How could the ER not have known that Gwen was pregnant and had a baby? There at least four months of baby bump and shower thrown by co-workers even if she only took 2 weeks maternity leave.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Security was called and looking for the owner of the car. They should have called the police as soon as they were alerted.

In the real world, that hospital parking garage would require staff to have parking stickers on their windows, and the guard would know exactly whose car it is as soon as he looked up the number on the sticker.

Nothing about this show is real world, though, lol.  In the real world, I know Natalie was right and they had to tell the father what happened, but in tv land, I wish someone would stuff a sock in her mouth when she gets all self-righteous and buttinsky with patients and families.

• Love 4
On 1/16/2020 at 9:40 PM, The Ringo Kidd said:

But Nataloon and Halstead have continually violated HIPPA and patients rights and should have been fired ten times over.

She did not violate anything in this case.  The parents of a child under the age of 12 have a right to any and all health information.  After 12, kids get a limited amount of confidentiality.

• Love 1

What's really unrealistic is all the TIME that these doctors spend with the patients.  In the real world, doctors visit a patient for maybe 15 minutes and then move on and aren't seen again until maybe the next day.  They aren't even around for all the drama and angst.  They treat them in the ER and never see them again.  The surgeon does his surgery, and then maybe visits for a few minutes for a day or two before the patient goes home.  ICU is staffed by  nurses, not doctors.  And on and on.  In the real world Natalie and Halstead would never even meet family members, much less have hours and hours with them to violate HIPAA or spill all kinds of family secrets.

• Love 6

This show has destroyed Choi for me. He used to be my favorite. I hate him. I may hate everyone on this show except Sharon at this point. 

Also, there's no way the Dad wasn't going to find out. Everyone in that hospital would be talking about it. There would have been police already there. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I fondly remember the Choi and Rhodes of seasons 1 and 2. Where did they go? A d why?

I don't know HIPAA so well but under PHIPA, the Canadian version, Natalie would have a legal obligation to tell the father unless Gwen had sole custody.

They really should have given me a reason, any reason, to be sympathetic to Gwen. Right now, the child just seems like a possession she wants to win.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I don't know HIPAA so well but under PHIPA, the Canadian version, Natalie would have a legal obligation to tell the father unless Gwen had sole custody.

She'd likely also have to make a report to Child Protective Services.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 1/19/2020 at 1:17 PM, starri said:

She'd likely also have to make a report to Child Protective Services.

That’s what I was thinking. Isn’t a physician a mandatory reporter in such a case?

As for the time doctors spend with the patients being unrealistic, that doesn’t bother me because this is a tv show. They have to create drama.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

As for the time doctors spend with the patients being unrealistic, that doesn’t bother me because this is a tv show. They have to create drama.

I agree, though in my world the show would not just be focused on the ED so you could actually admit patients and show them recovering where they might actual recover. It's always weird to have patients hang out in the ED when you know they should be in recovery or in an inpatient room. . .so why is the ED doctor acting like their PCP. . . Just my pet peeve. Minor compared to the storyline craziness though

• Love 2

Choi has completely lost his mind. Has he caught the “rush to judgement, force his views on everyone” bug rampant in the ER?

And on any other day, Natanutbag turning in Gwen would have simply been the right thing to me. But on what planet does this absolute nutbag who kidnaps people’s children and give unapproved meds and defy laws and ethics at every turn, suddenly become the Pillar of Morals when Maggie is faking documents and Gwen’s baby’s Dad needs some dirt on her?  Did Dick Wolf have a “I need to restore Nataloon’s missing ethics gene” moment? It’s insane.

Oddly enough, even though there have been moments in both the last 2 episodes that have been as annoying as usual, I feel like they have been better, a little more watchable. Not sure what’s up there.

Kinda feel bad for Dr Charles lately.

• Love 3

I swear they pull a name out of a hat & then spin the wheel to see whether they get to be hypocritical, sanctimonious, judgemental, belligerent, obnoxious or just downright insufferable.

This could be the tagline for the show.  Seriously.  Episode after episode after episode and it's exhausting.  I do not know why I watch it.  I stopped watching New Amsterdam because it was too preachy and might quit Chicago Med because it's too stupid.

Choi has been my favorite character heretofore but I think April's awfulness is rubbing off on him.  However, it didn't bother me all that much that he was against young wife pulling the plug on NotSam because it seemed overly hasty considering they couldn't tell it was really him. Marcel, on the other hand, seemed to acquiesce a little too quickly.  All very unrealistic so I'm giving Choi a pass plus the fact that he looks really good in uniform.

Natalie, for once, did the right thing.

Halstead is an idiot.

On January 17, 2020 at 3:00 PM, statsgirl said:

Can the other baby mama donate part of her lung while she's pregnant? Wouldn't it harm the fetus?

I think it was the other father who they said was a match.

The embryo switch was, as others said, obvious, but it was nice to have a storyline play out with decency rather than bitchiness.

Everything else...hoo boy.

While I agree with Choi that the wife was jumping the gun, did he really think that taking an attitude with her was going to pursuade her of anything? And 'tattling' on her at the end was just icing on the cake.

I initially felt for the administrator who left her baby in the car (it really does make sense how you can just go on autopilot in situations like that; if I'm ever a parent or caregiver, I'm absolutely doing the 'leave your shoe beside the carseat' thing), but once she started trying to bully the doctors into lying to her husband, no.

Can't make up my mind about the injection clinics here any more than I could on New Amsterdam. I get the arguments in favor, but it doesn't feel as simple as that. And again, the woman last week had a kid. If this facility were already open, would Halstead have supported her retaining custody so long as she was getting high 'safely'?

Ethan is the fucking worst.  And that's a huge accomplishment on a show that has April and Natalie.

I don't even know why I am still watching now that Rhodes is gone.  I love Maggie and I am warming up to Dr Marcell. 

But that's not enough to balance out how much I want to punch Ethan and April every episode.

• LOL 1