Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Pastry and Cookie Week

• Start Topic

I was sad to see Tanya go. I agree with Paul that she had been consistent in past weeks but this just wasn't her week. I was also glad that he offered her encouragement after her elimination.

Alex isn't my favorite, but I wanted to reach through the tv and give him a hug in the second episode. The judges were harsh tonight. 

• Love 4

Alex was complaining about American bakers not knowing what a hand raised pie is. Bakers on GBBO (and occasionally on the Canadian) often make something unfamiliar from another culture or country. That’s the whole point of the technical challenge—to test your baking skills. 

I’m just disappointed in this version of the show. There’s something to be said about the level of baking skill when you’re allowed to practice like the British bakers are (does anyone know how it works for the Canadian contestants? It’s not like they’re flying back from Toronto after each taping).

• Love 3

You can tell Paul is a softie at the end of the episodes. He was sweet talking to Tanya at the end. 
I liked Sarita’s facial expressions. No poker face there! 
I’m enjoying the show. It’s nice to see people helping each other like in the British version and Making It.

• Love 11

I liked Tanya and Sarita and was sorry to see both of them go but I can't argue with the decisions.  They are both probably very good bakers when they're not under such pressure and have more time.

Alex reminds me a lot of very annoying Matthew who was on FNS more than once, both general appearance and some of his facial expressions.  However, I like Alex except for his silly dangling earrings.  

Sherry Yard looks so different that I have to keep reminding myself that she's the same person I've seen on FN shows for years.  

ABC is looking for show applicants so they're planning another season.  I wish they'd replace the hosts.  They are both annoying and the guy is useless.  Rolling on the floor in the background like he did last time is asinine.  The Spice Girl is playing a part and doesn't seem genuine IMO.  I have a feeling that Paul doesn't find them at all amusing.

• Love 7

I will never understand why there are always some bakers who struggle with time on a sugar dough cookie challenge.  Few ingredients so quick prep; fast cooking times.  Make the icing while the cookies are baking and cooling.

Plus, they know in advance what they'll be making, and presumably how long they'll have.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Megan said:

Cody Fern/Alex

LOL!

I think the right people went home this week. Tanya unfortunately had a nightmare week, and Sarita was right there behind her. She made such a big deal about buttercream in her mitten muffins and then ran out of time, and her macaron tower was disastrous. (I do feel sorry for the bakers when things go that wrong. It's got to be so disheartening!)

I'm a bit surprised the judges haven't dinged Dana yet for using coffee and/or chocolate in so many of her bakes. They usually want to see more variety.

I was also surprised to see Alex so upset after his sweater cookies were criticized. I think it was Sherry who pointed out that if the cookies were too thin they would absorb the frosting and get soft, which is exactly what happened. The cookies were baked at that point so there wasn't much Alex could do save for make another batch, so the outcome determined. And it's not like he's on the bubble or anything. Unless someone else has an amazing few bakes, I think he'll win. He's been the most consistent the whole contest.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

I was also surprised to see Alex so upset after his sweater cookies were criticized. I think it was Sherry who pointed out that if the cookies were too thin they would absorb the frosting and get soft, which is exactly what happened. The cookies were baked at that point so there wasn't much Alex could do save for make another batch, so the outcome determined. And it's not like he's on the bubble or anything. Unless someone else has an amazing few bakes, I think he'll win. He's been the most consistent the whole contest.

Alex really has. He can afford a poor bake here and there as long as no one else outshines him. I do think he is probably the best baker there. Wasn't he the only one who heard of hand raised pies? 

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Wasn't he the only one who heard of hand raised pies? 

I think so; he was definitely the only one who knew how to properly use the dolly. Why no one else thought of chilling the dough is beyond me. One thing that's universal about dough is it needs to be chilled!

• Love 6

I'm glad that Sarita is gone. I got soooo tired of her whining about time issues & her very off putting facial expressions. I hope when she see those she will realize she shouldn't crinkle her face like that. She's very pretty but when she mushes her mug, it's very unpleasant to look at. She really doesn't want to pass that into her daughters.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I was sorry to see Tanya and Sarita go, but someone has to every week and they really did have their worst weeks.

I personally like my cookies a bit softer, so Alex's cookies softening a bit under the frosting wouldn't have bothered me one bit.  Although I'm not a big fan of sugar cookies, and I hate royal icing so . . . still, his looked quite cute, with their kitty cats.

It's a shame that Tanya had problems with her puff pastry and didn't get all the palmiers on the display, because the judges liked her flavors and thought the bake turned out well.  She probably wouldn't have gone home if she'd managed to complete the challenge.

Edited by proserpina65
Because "palmiers" are not spelled "pommiers"
  • Love 5

Drinking game: Take a drink every time “soggy bottom” is said.

Another drinking game: Every time one of the judges says something and the baker just stares, or every time a baker answers a judge’s question and the judge just stares. There is a lot of staring and dead air on this show.

Best quote of the night from Sherry: “The main thing that can go wrong with a sugar cookie is the sugar cookie.”

Second best quote of the night from Paul: “It tastes good in my mouth.”

Third best quote: “It’s not very Alex.” What does that even mean?

Those hand raised pies were all hilarious. When the camera passed over all the trays, I LOL’d, they were all crazy funny looking. And Paul ate those every day as a kid? A pasty would have been SO much easier to make daily.

It’s interesting that the editors let some dialogue get aired revealing that the bakers got to practice these bakes at home before coming onto the show. Isn’t it suppose to appear that every bake is new to all?

I felt badly for both bakers who were made to cry.

I would put my dough in the freezer to chill it quicker so wonder why some do that and some put it in the refrigerator part. I do like those red fridges, and I wonder where the power comes from. Are there massive generators behind the trees?

That dough breaking wouldn’t have bothered me, I would have just pulled the dough over the holes or patched it. Don’t look for me on this show any time soon.

Interesting that I can look at the two bakers in jeopardy and know which one is going home based on physical appearance. It's worked every week so far.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
46 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

That dough breaking wouldn’t have bothered me, I would have just pulled the dough over the holes or patched it. Don’t look for me on this show any time soon.

Your palmiers would have cracked then I imagine. At least that's what Tanya feared. But I liked hearing from Paul what the fix was. That doesn't happen often enough. Tanya probably should have known but maybe she just had a bit of a brain freeze as that hadn't happened to her before.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, PBnJay said:

And Paul ate those every day as a kid? A pasty would have been SO much easier to make daily.

I don't think he made them.  Maybe his mother did, but he probably bought them at a shop or caff.

1 hour ago, PBnJay said:

It’s interesting that the editors let some dialogue get aired revealing that the bakers got to practice these bakes at home before coming onto the show. Isn’t it suppose to appear that every bake is new to all?

No, they've always had time to practice the signature and showstopper bakes ahead of time.  On the British version, they go home between weekends and practice like crazy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Paul 's father is or was a baker and ran a bakery. Handraised pies were probably a bakery staple.

I was not surprised Sarita left; her time management skills were often bad. I'm sad to see Tanya left.

I'm glad Emma defined foot for a macaron; shows say it so often but don't define it.

That poppy seed and lemon macaron from Dana sounded awesome.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, rhys said:

But I liked hearing from Paul what the fix was.

Same here. It was a lot more useful than the usual "it needed a few more minutes in the oven" advice the bakers get. I know underbaking is a constant problem, but I think the bakers probably know that, too.

I was really surprised that you trim the dough after the blind bake. I don't think I've ever heard otherwise. Is it so you can accommodate any shrinking? I agree with whoever said it looked cleaner to do it before baking.

• Love 7
36 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I was really surprised that you trim the dough after the blind bake. I don't think I've ever heard otherwise. Is it so you can accommodate any shrinking? I agree with whoever said it looked cleaner to do it before baking.

yeah, it's because it tends to slump down if you cut it before. But I agree that it's often hard to keep it from crumbling if you cut it after. I do tend to cut it before.

• Love 4

I was sorry to see Tanya go, I thought she was a decent baker— but I knew she’d never finish in time when she decided to remake her puff pastry.

I was surprised that most of the bakers did not know what a hand-raised pie was— even though it is a British thing, wouldn’t contestants have watched the GBBO episodes before going on the show? I know I would, because they seem to recycle challenges from that show to this one. The hand-raised pie, fortune cookie, citrus tart, napoleon challenges were done on the British version.

• Love 9

It was Sarita's time to go. There's no crying in baking! That goes for you too, Alex. Geez, his first real criticism and he's reduced to tears. These people do know they're only competing for a glass cake stand, right? Geez, get some perspective.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, mlp said:

I liked Tanya and Sarita and was sorry to see both of them go but I can't argue with the decisions.  They are both probably very good bakers when they're not under such pressure and have more time.

Alex reminds me a lot of very annoying Matthew who was on FNS more than once, both general appearance and some of his facial expressions.  However, I like Alex except for his silly dangling earrings.  

Sherry Yard looks so different that I have to keep reminding myself that she's the same person I've seen on FN shows for years.  

ABC is looking for show applicants so they're planning another season.  I wish they'd replace the hosts.  They are both annoying and the guy is useless.  Rolling on the floor in the background like he did last time is asinine.  The Spice Girl is playing a part and doesn't seem genuine IMO.  I have a feeling that Paul doesn't find them at all amusing.

ITA!

Tanya was my favorite. She did so well up until that episode. I really did not want her to go home, but her bakes were the least successful. I too was happy that Paul went over and talked to her because I would have done the same thing.

I've seen Sherry for years on these type of shows. She's lost weight and looks 25 years younger. I almost didn't recognize her. For whatever reason, she wanted to change her looks. She's still the same knowledgeable person as before. It's kind of weird though looking at reruns of her previous 50+ self compared to her new 32 looking sex kitten. 

I really enjoy this particular baking show. I appreciate Paul and Sherry's insight and expertise. Having said that, I can not take these 2 fumbling, bumbling hosts that are dumbing down the show! I had to google both of them. He's an ex pro football player. I'd rather they got Eddie Jackson who knows how to be professional on these shows rather than make a mockery of the whole show. Please replace the hosts for next season!

• Love 6
3 hours ago, mertensia said:

I'm glad Emma defined foot for a macaron; shows say it so often but don't define it.

I agree. I like learning things from these shows other than "it wasn't baked long enough."

57 minutes ago, TexasTiffany said:

I've seen Sherry for years on these type of shows. She's lost weight and looks 25 years younger. I almost didn't recognize her. For whatever reason, she wanted to change her looks. She's still the same knowledgeable person as before. It's kind of weird though looking at reruns of her previous 50+ self compared to her new 32 looking sex kitten. 

Interesting. I've never seen her on anything other than this show, and I think she looks a little older than she actually is (according to Wikipedia). I don't really care for her on this,.though I can't put my finger on why.

• Love 1

Did anyone else notice Paul react when someone described their dish as "very berry"?  I think he thought they said "Mary Berry" and he wasn't too keen on any tributes to his former co-judge (in the original British version).  But then the contestant clarified what he had said and the odd moment passed.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, WatchrTina said:

Did anyone else notice Paul react when someone described their dish as "very berry"?  I think he thought they said "Mary Berry" and he wasn't too keen on any tributes to his former co-judge (in the original British version).  But then the contestant clarified what he had said and the odd moment passed.

Does Paul not like Mary? I haven't heard of anything bad between them. 

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, TexasTiffany said:

ITA!

Tanya was my favorite. She did so well up until that episode. I really did not want her to go home, but her bakes were the least successful. I too was happy that Paul went over and talked to her because I would have done the same thing.

I really enjoy this particular baking show. I appreciate Paul and Sherry's insight and expertise. Having said that, I can not take these 2 fumbling, bumbling hosts that are dumbing down the show! I had to google both of them. He's an ex pro football player. I'd rather they got Eddie Jackson who knows how to be professional on these shows rather than make a mockery of the whole show. Please replace the hosts for next season!

His name is Anthony "Spice" Adams. That's the ONLY reason he's on the show since we also have Baby Spice.  

18 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

14 minutes ago, TexasTiffany said:

I thought he was joking.  He's very dry, so it could seem like he was annoyed.  I also heard "Mary Berry" at first but realized he had said "very berry" before Paul even commented.  

• Love 10
18 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

Oh I didn't mean to imply that he doesn't like her.  But she, along with hosts Mel and Sue, all quit the show when it moved from BBC to Channel 4, while he decided to stay on.  I might be projecting but I suspect he wasn't best pleased by her decision to quit. And I think that he was deliberately referencing that fact when he reacted that way to the contestant naming his bake a "Very Berry" something-or-other.

Edited by WatchrTina
19 hours ago, GaT said:

I'm so glad Sarita is gone, I found her constant panic exhausting.

And her constant mugging for the cameras with her elastic face drove me nuts.  

My problem with Alex is he's that guy that always digs up some new, strange, exotic or unpronounceable ingredient, brings it in to use and comes off like "Whaaaaat? You mean you've never used freeze-dried Egyptian Troglodyte berry foam before?".....all wide-eyed and fake.   Paul caught it with whatever that crap was Alex used in his cookies.  Idiot.

Now that Tanya's gone, I'm all in with Dana.  I still can't get used to her name pronounced as "Dan-ah" instead of "Day-na".  Maybe it's because I personally know 2 "Day-nas" (one male, one female) and 0 "Dan-ah"s".  

Thanks to the last week heads-up, I noticed these episodes the way Emma always poses with her left leg in front of her right.  EVERY TIME!  But you don't really notice until you know to look for it.  Classic red carpet pose to make the lower body look slimmer.  

Edited by leighdear
  • LOL 5
  • Love 10
21 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Alex isn't my favorite, but I wanted to reach through the tv and give him a hug in the second episode. The judges were harsh tonight. 

I know it was time for Sarita to go but I thought the judges treated her like they were her parents and she was a misbehaving child.  "Oh Sarita, you never learn...."  Oy the tone.

48 minutes ago, Kroliosis said:

Is this actually filmed over 2 days?  I noticed they wear the same thing for all 3 segments that supposedly span 2 days. Also sugar cookies?  What’s next week - pb & j sandwiches?  Incredibly basic. 

I believe it's filmed over two days.  It's pretty normal for reality television shows that film an episode over a few days to have contestants wear the same clothes for each of those days.  It makes it easier for production to edit in sound bytes and filmed clips.  There are fewer issues with continuity.

As for sugar cookies, sometimes the most basic thing is the hardest.  And decorating definitely is complicated in a short amount of time.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I feel like Alex coasts on the technical, and his flavors are inconsistent, but Dana makes the better food. I also like Brother Andrew (for third place). He's consistent, calm and just works. I don't like Marissa, she seems to whine a lot and has had more ups and downs.

I hope we're being set up for a well-earned Dana win, but we'll see if it's a predictable Alex win. I'm pulling for her -- all her food looks and sounds yummy.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, TexasTiffany said:

The gossip is that there is bad blood because Mary didn't like the way Paul treated his now ex wife during their split. 

1 hour ago, Kroliosis said:

Is this actually filmed over 2 days?  I noticed they wear the same thing for all 3 segments that supposedly span 2 days. Also sugar cookies?  What’s next week - pb & j sandwiches?  Incredibly basic. 

The British show is filmed on the weekends with the bakers wearing the same outfit both days. The British show also makes it clear that the bakers return home during the week when they continue on with jobs/school and get to practice their bakes. I've wondered what the schedule is like for this version because I don't think they are filming on the weekends and flying everyone back and forth. I do wonder if the bakers have less time to practice and therefore the overall quality of the bakes suffer.

• Love 4

For this show, I believe they film two days in a row to create an episode.  They then get one day off.  It makes it more possible for Americans to move to England for filming.

I will miss Tanya.  It was sad to see her have such a bad two days. I was disappointed when she restarted her puff pastry.  She just seemed to implode. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

My problem with Alex is he's that guy that always digs up some new, strange, exotic or unpronounceable ingredient, brings it in to use and comes off like "Whaaaaat? You mean you've never used freeze-dried Egyptian Troglodyte berry foam before?"

LOL! I'm pre-disposed to like the guy but you're right, he's being too clever for his own good. It might be his downfall.

Now that Tanya's gone, I'm all in with Dana.  I still can't get used to her name pronounced as "Dan-ah" instead of "Day-na".  Maybe it's because I personally know 2 "Day-nas" (one male, one female) and 0 "Dan-ah"s".

I can't decide if her name is really pronounced "dan-uh" or whether Paul and Emma just pronounce it that way because they're British.

I feel like Alex coasts on the technical, and his flavors are inconsistent, but Dana makes the better food.

Alex has a chemistry degree from Harvard. I have to believe he has the edge when it comes to technical prowess. But you're right, the flavors seem to be his weakness. If the last season of the British show taught us anything, it's that someone can nail Star Baker every week and then completely fall apart in the finale, so I think it's still anyone's game.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
18 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

I interpreted the Mary Berry comment differently, the contestant said the creation TASTED very berry, which sounded like mary berry, which made Paul (and Sherry) seem like they were eating cannibal food. I didn't hear it as any hate toward Mary Berry, just that the bake would TASTE like Mary Berry. A slip of the ear, nothing more.

17 hours ago, Kroliosis said:

What’s next week - pb & j sandwiches?  Incredibly basic. 

And what's wrong with a good PB and Jay?

Could bakers spray that dowel with Pam or something to make the hand raised pie dough slide off easily? 

All reality shows edit in reactions and close ups of contestants (and audiences when there is one) to make the finished show more interesting and/or controversial. So the bakers would be wearing the same clothes so, as another poster said, the editors could more easily splice film together.

Edited by PBnJay
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I can't decide if her name is really pronounced "dan-uh" or whether Paul and Emma just pronounce it that way because they're British.

I follow her on Instagram, and in one of her "Stories" she posted, she herself pronounced it as "Dan-ah".

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, CatLover74 said:

I follow her on Instagram, and in one of her "Stories" she posted, she herself pronounced it as "Dan-ah".

Oh that's good to know. I was defaulting to the Brits' pronunciation as someone above opined. Bet she spends a lot of time correcting folks!

• Love 1
On 12/27/2019 at 8:02 PM, WatchrTina said:

I took it as Paul kidding around. I laughed. I didn’t see any ill will. 
As for Alex, I’m a quick to cry person. I can’t help it. Maybe he is the same.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I can't believe the show wouldn't have its hosts pronounce someone's name wrong, regardless of anyone's nationality. That's just a basic, basic courtesy.

19 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Alex has a chemistry degree from Harvard. I have to believe he has the edge when it comes to technical prowess.

I disagree. Practice and steady nerves (and some luck) is what gives bakers an edge, IMO. If the bakers had to create something, his degree might help, but otherwise? 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I can't believe the show wouldn't have its hosts pronounce someone's name wrong, regardless of anyone's nationality. That's just a basic, basic courtesy.

I think you mean right, not wrong.

WHAT is wrong with contestants? WHY do they IGNORE what the JUDGES suggest or question?? More often than not, they're correct & they're baking for them so they should listen if they want to continue in the competition. Makes NO SENSE!

On 12/27/2019 at 8:41 PM, leighdear said:

Thanks to the last week heads-up, I noticed these episodes the way Emma always poses with her left leg in front of her right.  EVERY TIME!  But you don't really notice until you know to look for it.  Classic red carpet pose to make the lower body look slimmer.  

I like Dana too and would love to see her win. 

I  never noticed the leg thing until people on here started to mention in. Now its all I see! I think she doesn't even realize she is doing it anymore. 

• Love 1

Could bakers spray that dowel with Pam or something to make the hand raised pie dough slide off easily? 

Assuming they are provided with Pam or some kind of cooking spray. 

Practice and steady nerves (and some luck) is what gives bakers an edge, IMO. If the bakers had to create something, his degree might help, but otherwise? 

What I mean is that chemistry is an exact science, so when it comes to having the right amount of ingredients and the right amount of time Alex is already very practiced at it. You'll notice he never has an overbake or underbake and never has a problem with time. The only issue he has is that sometimes the judges don't like his flavors.

• Love 4

And adding to the drinking game, have a slug every time Brother Whatsit invokes "lord jesus" and/or crosses himself.  We get it, you're religious.  Somehow I don't think god is watching a baking show.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Somehow I don't think god is watching a baking show.

Well apparently God watches football games so who knows..... :). 

Brings back memories of a Tim Tebow SNL skit 

Edited by dleighg
  • LOL 5