Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: And the Winner Takes It All and Takes It Off

• Start Topic

OMG love this show. I thought that The Fox was Jaime Foxx but the clues keep referring to him as though he's not a professional singer so it can't be Jaime Foxx; kinda thinking that it may really be Wayne Brady but truly I have no idea. Absolutely have no idea who either The Flamingo or The Rottweiler are. May the best critter win!😁

• Love 4

It's weird because I somehow managed to miss EVERY episode that Wayne Brady was on until tonight.  But after watching him for years on Whose Line Is It Anyway, I would have gotten him from the jump.  Also, he's seen some wacky costumes on Let's Make A Deal. 

Also, shut up Jenny and Ken.  

• Love 8

I'm very happy for Wayne Brady. I remember when he used to sing songs on Whose Line Is It Anyway (many years ago). Good for him!

18 minutes ago, NotChristine said:

I didn't realize season 3 was coming this early. Not that I'm complaining.

Bring it on. I love this show.

• Love 7

Welp, I called it with that Hulu promo they had running a couple weeks back--the one that only had the fox character representing the show...which also mysteriously stopped airing after people caught on.

Maybe they ran it too early? 🤷

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Daughtry really didn't bother to disguise his voice on that last performance. He and Wayne both would have been worthy winners but I'm happy for Wayne Brady. He crushed it.

He really did. Wayne is an amazing performer. He and Daughtry have been my favorites all season. 

Broadway performers have a definite advantage on a show like this. I really hope we see more of them next season. 

Edited by Guest
34 minutes ago, Maximoose said:

Welp, I called it with that Hulu promo they had running a couple weeks back--the one that only had the fox character representing the show...which also mysteriously stopped airing after people caught on.

Maybe they ran it too early? 🤷

I doubt they care as long as the celeb reveals aren’t spoiled. They telegraphed the Monster win last season. The promos have been full of elimination spoilers and the even included a shot that gave away the final three in one of the first episodes. 

Edited by Guest
41 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

I'm very happy for Wayne Brady. I remember when he used to sing songs on Whose Line Is It Anyway (many years ago). Good for him!

Bring it on. I love this show.

Yes, definitely. So glad it's coming up soon, early in February I think they said.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Yes, definitely. So glad it's coming up soon, early in February I think they said.

February 2nd after the super bowl. They start filming tomorrow. 

I’m just glad Flamingo came in 3rd.  That Proud Mary started off real good, then she got all hyperactive and screeched parts.

While I think Chris deserved it more, as his singing ability is loads better than Wayne’s, Wayne was the better performer and that moving speech probably won it for him.  I’m okay with Chris coming in 2nd, unlike last year, where I think Monster should’ve been third and Bee won it all.

Did everyone see the female Monster for S3?  Their biggest name yet?  Bigger than Gladys, Patti, Seal, or Daughtry?

5 minutes ago, Dani said:

February 2nd after the super bowl. They start filming tomorrow. 

It’s my understanding they started filming 12/10.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, roamyn said:

You’re probably right. I was only thinking about the audience tapings starting tomorrow morning but didn’t take into account that they shoot the clue videos and background things first. 

20 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I’m just glad Flamingo came in 3rd.  That Proud Mary started off real good, then she got all hyperactive and screeched parts.

While I think Chris deserved it more, as his singing ability is loads better than Wayne’s, Wayne was the better performer and that moving speech probably won it for him.  I’m okay with Chris coming in 2nd, unlike last year, where I think Monster should’ve been third and Bee won it all.

Did everyone see the female Monster for S3?  Their biggest name yet?  Bigger than Gladys, Patti, Seal, or Daughtry?

ITA about Wayne being the better performer. Had no clue about Daughtry but his voice always blew me away.

Also, I think it may come down to song choice. For instance, I was a big fan of the Leopard/Seal and knew it was him but his choice of "Hey Big Spender" last week was a little weird to me especially after Wayne Brady sang one of my favorite Christmas/holiday songs "This Christmas" by the late Donny Hathaway and The Flamingo did such a beautiful rendition of "Hallelujah" that night. The Fox/Wayne Brady hit it out of the park every time; there's just some songs that are show stoppers and he always chose well.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Also, I think it may come down to song choice. For instance, I was a big fan of the Leopard/Seal and knew it was him but his choice of "Hey Big Spender" last week was a little weird to me especially after Wayne Brady sang one of my favorite Christmas/holiday songs "This Christmas" by the late Donny Hathaway and The Flamingo did such a beautiful rendition of "Hallelujah" that night. The Fox/Wayne Brady hit it out of the park every time; there's just some songs that are show stoppers and he always chose well.

I agree. I think Daughtry and Wayne really highlighted how important versatility is. Wayne’s Whose Line and Broadway background gave him the ability to adapt in a way that no one else could compete with. The only who came close was Daughtry with his Idol experience helping him to be more comfortable in different styles. 

I have feeling that if NPH ever did the show he would excel for the same reason. 

I'm surprised none of the judges guessed Chris Daughtry.   He has a very distinct singing voice.  I knew it was him after a few performances.  He was my choice for the win, but I love Wayne Brady so I'm happy for him!!  

Edited by Sammich
  • Love 11
10 hours ago, roamyn said:

The first person I thought of when I saw that costume was Lady Gaga. Not that I think she would be on this show but the clues fit! 

I would've been happy for either Wayne Brady or Chris Daughtry to win. Daughtry has the better vocal talent, but Wayne is a good performer and I think the tears sealed it for him. Flamingo/Adrienne Baillon (who??) was just lucky to make it to the finale.

• Love 6

I recognized Wayne's voice so I knew he was Fox, but Daughtry surprised me. I wish they would replay some of the previous videos/songs after the reveals so I could listen to Rottweiler knowing it was Chris. Or at least let them sing a whole song after each reveal instead of filling the time with judge blah blah blah stuff. Now that I know who each of the characters are, I'd like to go back and rewatch each episode.

But I won't.

I've never heard of the Flamingo woman.

• Love 4

The tweet about the cat pretty much sealed it as Daughtry.  I do enjoy it more when the judges fail to guess the singer. There aren't any real surprises with this show. Generally everyone is guessed correctly by the end of the season.  I gave up on the flamingo only because I did not know who she was in real life.  I have never heard of her. 

I was pretty sure Fox was going to win this. He came across as the favorite. 

• Love 4

So happy Wayne won! He was consistently amazing every single week. Daughtry was also very good, but I didn't feel like his performance last night was as "show stopper" as Wayne's. 

I still think they need to work on how the panelists guess, but I enjoy this crazy show for what it is. It's fun, fluffy entertainment, and my kids have gotten really into watching it this season even though they have no idea who anyone under the masks is. They like the costumes and the music and it's fun to have a show to watch with them each week. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Jenniferbug said:

So happy Wayne won! He was consistently amazing every single week. Daughtry was also very good, but I didn't feel like his performance last night was as "show stopper" as Wayne's. 

I still think they need to work on how the panelists guess, but I enjoy this crazy show for what it is. It's fun, fluffy entertainment, and my kids have gotten really into watching it this season even though they have no idea who anyone under the masks is. They like the costumes and the music and it's fun to have a show to watch with them each week. 

This show is surprisingly wholesome and sweet. Aside from the mask conceit, it’s pretty much Celebrity Karaoke, and like the best karaoke nights, it’s an enthusiastic, generous and supportive atmosphere. 

• Love 7

"I’m Wayne Brady bitch!" 

I knew that it would be Wayne Brady and Chris Daughtry, they both have rather distinct voices and the clues eventually made it pretty obvious. They were both great, in rather different ways, you can see that they have different backgrounds as performers. Daughtry is a singer, and is very talented, and Brady is more of a performer with a more diverse portfolio of performing, so while I think that Daughtry was a bit better at the song on a technical level, Brady put on the better performance, and the performance and the camp is half the point of the show. That being said, Wayne Brady is a really good singer (I remember thinking that he had some real pipes during Who’s Line) and I am glad that he won. He and Daughtry were both really good and I am glad that they were first and second. 

I swear, sometimes the judges are so annoying and pointless, I want to yank them off the screen with one of those old Vaudevillian hooks. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 8

I know Nick is not supposed to know who is under the mask, but I have to assume he is told before the reveals. It would be really embarrassing if after they take the mask off and he has to announce their name, he has no idea who they are. With some of the less well known ones, especially non singers, it can happen :).

• Love 1
Just now, meira.hand said:

I know Nick is not supposed to know who is under the mask, but I have to assume he is told before the reveals. It would be really embarrassing if after they take the mask off and he has to announce their name, he has no idea who they are. With some of the less well known ones, especially non singers, it can happen :).

That is a good point!  I am sure there are some he might not know and that would be embarrassing.  lol

• Love 2
1 minute ago, meira.hand said:

He has to have an earpiece whispering in his ear, right?

• Love 9

I'm happy Wayne won and Chris Daughtry got second. I'm not that surprised that the judges didn't guess him. When was the last time he put out music or was in the spotlight? I mean I like his music from back in the mid 2000s, but it's been awhile since I've heard from him. And maybe some of the judges didn't watch AI, or his music just isn't their style. Without reading here or knowing any of the judges guesses, I don't think I could figure out many people. Lol. 

And I'm not as annoyed by some of the judges as many people are. I guess they can be annoying at times, but it's never been over the top to me. I actually like Ken and find him funny. Unpopular opinion I guess. Lol I like how he guesses and what not. I can understand being annoyed by Jenny for sure, but she wasn't too much for me. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

I'm happy Wayne won and Chris Daughtry got second. I'm not that surprised that the judges didn't guess him. When was the last time he put out music or was in the spotlight? I mean I like his music from back in the mid 2000s, but it's been awhile since I've heard from him. And maybe some of the judges didn't watch AI, or his music just isn't their style. Without reading here or knowing any of the judges guesses, I don't think I could figure out many people. Lol. 

And I'm not as annoyed by some of the judges as many people are. I guess they can be annoying at times, but it's never been over the top to me. I actually like Ken and find him funny. Unpopular opinion I guess. Lol I like how he guesses and what not. I can understand being annoyed by Jenny for sure, but she wasn't too much for me. 

I don’t mind the judges, for the most part.

Robin & Nicole are fine, Ken was too OTT this season, but I really dislike Jenny on a personal level because she’s a lie spreading anti Vaxxer.

The guest judges are good, but Inmissed Kennan this season.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 11

I like the judges. Ken Jeong is funny, Nichole S. and Robin Thicke bring the musical knowledge, Jenny...is Jenny.

Wayne Brady's win was not what I expected, but I was happy to see it.  He really did leave everyone else in the dust.

I figured Flamingo's "SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! LOVE ME! LOVE ME LOVE ME! PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE LOVE ME!" shtick would get her the win.  Her singing was above average, but her personality grated.  She mentioned that she was told she wouldn't amount to anything at least twice during the finale.  Was this a regular thing?  I started tuning her out about halfway through the run.  Maybe I'm a terrible person, but it seemed like she was trying to outcry Brady during the Q&A.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I recognized Wayne's voice so I knew he was Fox, but Daughtry surprised me. I wish they would replay some of the previous videos/songs after the reveals so I could listen to Rottweiler knowing it was Chris. Or at least let them sing a whole song after each reveal instead of filling the time with judge blah blah blah stuff. Now that I know who each of the characters are, I'd like to go back and rewatch each episode.

But I won't.

Adrienne Bailon from The Cheetah Girls, 3LW, and The Real.

5 hours ago, meira.hand said:

95% of what Nick says on this show sounds to me like he's reading off a prompter so I doubt whatever he says during the reveal is otherwise.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Fukui San said:

He has to have an earpiece whispering in his ear, right?

Well, Nick knows a lot of industry people solely based on longevity and his previous marriage, so I do think he knows most of them by their face. But when someone doesn't look like themselves (aka Dr Drew without glasses or Rumer Willis as a blonde) he definitely gets a lil hint in his ears. Probably while they are pretending to struggle to "Take it off! Take it off!" 

Ninja's hair makes me want cotton candy, but I still don't know who he is.

Pissed no one pointed out in this episode that two Cheetah Girls were on the show and they didn't know.

Sorry, I mean Nick definitely gets the answer in his ear, he just doesn't need it every time.

Edited by BoogieBurns
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

But I won't.

Heh heh, thanks. At least I know I'm not alone. 😁 Also, haven't watched AI in like forever so wasn't familiar with Daughtry's voice but so glad I got exposed to his amazing talent.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Eyes High said:

This show is surprisingly wholesome and sweet. Aside from the mask conceit, it’s pretty much Celebrity Karaoke, and like the best karaoke nights, it’s an enthusiastic, generous and supportive atmosphere. 

Thanks a million for this so much Eyes High, especially the bolded parts; what a perfect description of this show.

Frankly, although I am a total news junkie and believe in staying informed across a number of topics, I need shows like this for a mental break from all the toxic crap being thrown at us on a daily basis, as well as our public discourse swirling the toilet bowl.

So glad that the next season will be coming up soon next February.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

Well, Nick knows a lot of industry people solely based on longevity and his previous marriage, so I do think he knows most of them by their face. But when someone doesn't look like themselves (aka Dr Drew without glasses or Rumer Willis as a blonde) he definitely gets a lil hint in his ears. Probably while they are pretending to struggle to "Take it off! Take it off!" 

The film the reveal in two parts. The “Take it off!” and pretend struggle is filmed with the full audience and they fake the reaction. Then most of the audience is removed and the actual reveal is filmed. Nick probably gets a heads up during the break. 

I hate Ken's schtick a lot. 

I think in most cases they actually do know who most of the people are by the second or third performance but pretend as if they don't. I do question those who knew off the bat who that YouTube guy was though.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, ZenMoonPi said:

I like the judges. Ken Jeong is funny, Nichole S. and Robin Thicke bring the musical knowledge, Jenny...is Jenny.

Wayne Brady's win was not what I expected, but I was happy to see it.  He really did leave everyone else in the dust.

I figured Flamingo's "SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! LOVE ME! LOVE ME LOVE ME! PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE LOVE ME!" shtick would get her the win.  Her singing was above average, but her personality grated.  She mentioned that she was told she wouldn't amount to anything at least twice during the finale.  Was this a regular thing?  I started tuning her out about halfway through the run.  Maybe I'm a terrible person, but it seemed like she was trying to outcry Brady during the Q&A.

I was okay with Flamingo's bounciness. But her singing grated on my nerves. She went flat, her voice is too metallic sounding. I'm another one who had never heard of her. I had a stepson, and watching Disney Channel wasn't his thing. 

I enjoyed the other two who lasted though. And I really loved Wayne's costume. Steampunk Fox. That was just great. I've never watched American Idol, and mostly listen to old music, so I hadn't really heard Daughtry sing. I will be now, though. 

I go back and forth on the judges. I really wish McCarthy's cleavage wasn't there. It isn't as good as she thinks it is. I feel like they are trying to guess sometimes though. Ken probably knew Thingamajig early on. Sometimes Ken amuses me, sometimes not. Jenny never amuses me. I do wish they would stop shouting over the performances though. I was taught that it's rude to go to a performance and shout over the singers, actors, dancers. Shout all you want at sports, but not the theater.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Adrienne Bailon from The Cheetah Girls, 3LW, and The Real.

Like I said, I've never heard of her and have never seen her before, nor have I seen any of the above. If I had, duh, I maybe would have heard of her.

2 hours ago, Bali said:

And I really loved Wayne's costume. Steampunk Fox.

Wayne had the best costume, although Seal's leopard was right up there. Made them look great.

• Love 4