Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: And the Winner Takes It All and Takes It Off

• Start Topic

I've always been amazed at Wayne Brady's ability to riff and make up lyrics on the fly.  Guy can sing, too, and seems like a genuinely nice guy.  Definitely an underrated talent, and I'm glad he had this opportunity to put his musical skills out there.

I'd pay a dollar to see the Daughtry kids' reaction to seeing their dad unmasked on the finale.  He said they love the show and didn't know he was doing it, so I bet they lost their shit in the Daughtry family living room!

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Bali said:

I was okay with Flamingo's bounciness. But her singing grated on my nerves. She went flat, her voice is too metallic sounding. I'm another one who had never heard of her. I had a stepson, and watching Disney Channel wasn't his thing. 

I enjoyed the other two who lasted though. And I really loved Wayne's costume. Steampunk Fox. That was just great. I've never watched American Idol, and mostly listen to old music, so I hadn't really heard Daughtry sing. I will be now, though. 

I liked the bounciness. It was the weepy neediness that turned me off. Maybe I've seen too many competition shows, but every time I see a contestant tear up on the regular or talk about how this has given them back something (!!!!!), whether it's a talent show or a bake-off, I get more cynical than I'd like to be.

That steampunk fox was one of the best costumes yet.  And I'm sharing the Brady love. I've been a fan since WLIIA.

• Love 4

The judges mostly don't bother me. I have a lot of affection for Nicole leftover from The Sing Off and don't mind her here. Robin is ok, and I think he's probably the best at recognizing someone quickly (but pretending he doesn't when guessing). Ken doesn't bother me too much, but I like him better when he's being more mellow than when he's hyped up making he wacky guesses. I'm sure that's producer driven and sometimes it goes on too long though. Jenny is really the only one who annoys, but (in reverse to Nicole) I think it's more because I don't like her anti vax nonsense than because of anything she's really said/done on the show itself. She's a little too "extra" sometimes but I'm less willing to cut her slack on ot than I am Ken, if that makes sense. Maybe not fair, but it's how it is. 

• Love 7
20 hours ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

And I'm not as annoyed by some of the judges as many people are. I guess they can be annoying at times, but it's never been over the top to me. I actually like Ken and find him funny.

I don't find them annoying either. The whole show is completely ridiculous, so over the top judging seems perfect for the corniness of this show. Jenny is pretty good at guessing and I laughed out loud when Ken actually guessed one right last week (or was it the week before?).

I knew Chris the minute they had the vacuum clue, plus his voice is very distinct. I have loved him since Idol, so that was easy. I was pretty sure it was Wayne Brady from the Doogie Howser clue bc of playing NPH's brother on HIMYM. I was rooting for Chris, but I think Wayne's final song put him over the edge. I would have been fine either way.

Overall, I thought the talent was better this season. This show is such an easy mindless watch. I appreciate that it's just the studio audience voting and usually the right one goes home, and I like that we get a result at the end of the episode. I'm glad it's coming back soon.

• Love 6

Chris has released the Sia song Alive that he performed at the finale as a single. He has also mentioned that he and the band Daughtry will be releasing a new album soon. Daughtry currently has a single out titled As You Are. It was written for Chris’s wife and dedicated to others in the LGBTQ community. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I enjoyed this show.  Hadn't seen the first season, but it sounded interesting.  I was convinced early on that the producers picked the boot order and nothing about the season ever made me think any differently.

I find the fun, casual camaraderie between the judges panel and Nick entertaining.  I like them all.  The guest judges were edited up or down to their entertainment level, which also worked.  Triumph the Insult Comic Dog was unquestionably the best one.

The costumes were cool, and the performances, on the whole, were well done.  I was fine with the chosen boot order.  I think what tipped the scales for Wayne is his value as a potential guest judge in future seasons.  He'll be great. 

• Love 2

While Rottweiler had my favorite performance of the season ("Someone You Loved"), Fox had the overall stronger body of work, so I was happy to see him win.

What I found particularly interesting is when Rottweiler was revealed to be Chris Daughtry, the audience seemed more into it than the judges. The judges gave him all this praise during their guesses and then when it got to the reveal, it was like, "oh, it's ... that guy? Huh." I kind of thought it was rude, but I guess we shouldn't be expecting much from the judges.

But the show is always more interesting when the judges can't guess (nothing will ever top the disbelief/joy/shock at Monster's unmasking last year). So it took some of the magic away from the unmasking when 2 out of 4 judges guessed the winner, for me.

I didn't mind the panel last year, but Ken's shtick went way too over-the-top and grated on me this year. "I know exactly who this is!" followed by making yourself look stupid, isn't a great catchphrase, Ken.

I'll be back for the next season, but I found this season much longer than the first one (maybe because the concept wasn't as fresh). Had to watch it on On Demand, so I had the stupid "Road to the Final Mask" special on, and I'd completely forgotten the existence of some of those masks. Yikes.

(Also note to future contestants: don't be a bug. Those costumes are always creepy and they never win.)

• Love 1

My all-time favorite response to the guesses came from Keenan Thompson:

"You mean to tell me you didn't hear Gladys Knight? Really?"

I want Robin Thicke to run out of damns to give and guess who he really thinks he's hearing and why. I'm fine with the schtick and Jenny M. makes a good foil for Ken Jeong, but it's nice to hear from the two who really know music.

Edited by ZenMoonPi
  • Love 3
On 12/20/2019 at 11:15 AM, Lovecat said:

I'd pay a dollar to see the Daughtry kids' reaction to seeing their dad unmasked on the finale.  He said they love the show and didn't know he was doing it, so I bet they lost their shit in the Daughtry family living room!

He actually posted their reaction as an Instagram Story yesterday.  I just checked and can't find it, so it must have expired.  It was just like you thought it would be.  They were screaming daddy! and jumping up and down.  His son even said...it's daddy! and looked at Chris and said with a confused voice, how?  They were so excited.

Edited to add:  Chris wasn't there.  His wife was filming it, so his son must have turned to look at her.  (Found an interview he did about it, when I was looking to see if I could find the actual video.)

Edited to add:  I found an interview that has the clips:  https://www.etonline.com/chris-daughtry-on-his-kids-sweet-reaction-to-his-surprising-masked-singer-reveal-exclusive-138356

Edited by chi-girl
  • Love 5
On 12/20/2019 at 3:33 PM, Angeleyes said:

Chris has released the Sia song Alive that he performed at the finale as a single. He has also mentioned that he and the band Daughtry will be releasing a new album soon. Daughtry currently has a single out titled As You Are. It was written for Chris’s wife and dedicated to others in the LGBTQ community. 

I looked for it today on iTunes, but it’s not available yet.

The judges were definitely surprised at Chris’s unmasking.  Robin does guess the singer, if he knows.  He knew Gladys right away last year, and always guessed her.    He also pinged on Joey Fatone, and LaBelle fairly early.

They were also very surprised w/Rumer Willis.

So I don’t believe they’re being fed guesses.  The blogger I read said that a lot of the judges comments were not aired.  So they probably have discussions and many names come up.

• Love 3
On 12/18/2019 at 9:24 PM, Dani said:

I doubt they care as long as the celeb reveals aren’t spoiled. They telegraphed the Monster win last season. The promos have been full of elimination spoilers and the even included a shot that gave away the final three in one of the first episodes. 

Speaking of which, whatever happened to that shot? Did they film a group performance of the final 3 that didn’t get aired?  What about all the eliminees in the audience?  Curious if they sang or if they just stood there or if it was just other people in the costumes.  So weird they had a promo shot of a finale performance and didn’t even air it. 

On 12/19/2019 at 6:00 PM, ZenMoonPi said:

I figured Flamingo's "SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! LOVE ME! LOVE ME LOVE ME! PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE LOVE ME!" shtick would get her the win.  Her singing was above average, but her personality grated.  She mentioned that she was told she wouldn't amount to anything at least twice during the finale.  Was this a regular thing?  I started tuning her out about halfway through the run.  Maybe I'm a terrible person, but it seemed like she was trying to outcry Brady during the Q&A.

On 12/20/2019 at 12:01 PM, ZenMoonPi said:

I liked the bounciness. It was the weepy neediness that turned me off. Maybe I've seen too many competition shows, but every time I see a contestant tear up on the regular or talk about how this has given them back something (!!!!!), whether it's a talent show or a bake-off, I get more cynical.

Agree, i was pleasantly surprised she came in third. I couldn’t stand her desperation.  Didn’t care for her voice although it was better than many others.  My daughter and I watched the start of “Proud Mary” and when Flamingo kicked into the fast part, my daughter (who disliked Flamingo as much as I did) picked up the remote and fast forwarded through the end and the questions and the commercial until the show came back.  “It got screechy and was hurting my ears and I really couldn’t stand hearing her ‘big finish’. “ Hahahaha.  

I would have preferred a Rottweiler win (thought his final performance killed it, much better than Fox who was boring) but Wayne Brady was great overall.  

I’m debating whether or not to stay away from social media for next season... having the internets identify the singers instantly does take a little away from the fun.  It’s like knowing in advance what’s in the Christmas present.  Maybe next season I’ll guess along with the panelists and see if I recognise any on my own.  

• Love 4
On 12/20/2019 at 11:28 AM, Jenniferbug said:

Jenny is really the only one who annoys, but (in reverse to Nicole) I think it's more because I don't like her anti vax nonsense than because of anything she's really said/done on the show itself

The thing I don't care for is her trying to be so hipster.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, blackwing said:

I’m debating whether or not to stay away from social media for next season... having the internets identify the singers instantly does take a little away from the fun.  It’s like knowing in advance what’s in the Christmas present.  Maybe next season I’ll guess along with the panelists and see if I recognise any on my own.  

I did that this season and it really made it more fun to watch. If you look at this sight and any recaps there are always people who figure it out. It's much more fun to watch without being spoiled, but I admit it's pretty hard to avoid. It's easier if you watch each episode as it airs or shortly after.......

During one interview Patti LaBelle said that one of the things she liked about performing in the costume was that under the mask she did not have to wear ANY makeup.  That makes sense.  But with all the characters (especially the women) when they are unmasked, they pop out in FULL hair and makeup--ready for their closeup.

Ana Gasteyer joked on Seth Meyers that it was "television magic". 

• Love 1

I think Wayne Brady was the best overall performer so I’m okay with him winning. He is a good singer, but I think his dancing and rap improv made him more entertaining to the audience. Patti was clearly the best singer, but thos is Masked Singer, not the Grammys. 

• Love 1