Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E10: Grandma Duggar Remembered

Sew Sumi
  • Start Topic

The four pregnant Duggar girls and Jessa have a maternity photoshoot; a surprise guest reveals she's also expecting; Jinger and Jeremy prepare for their big move to Los Angeles, but they get devastating news from back home.

16 minutes ago, Ljohnson1987 said:

I hate that they exploited her death. She deserved to be mourned in private. 

Honor thy father and mother - until your reality tv show needs ratings. That 2/2 parent deaths Jim Bob's exploited!

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, ThinkerBell said:

I understand acknowledging Grandma Duggar's death on the show, but watching Michelle and Jinger handing her burial clothes and jewellery over to the funeral director was more than uncomfortable to watch. As bad as that was, it was topped by the intrusive cameras shoved in the sobbing faces of the kids as they recalled memories of their grandmother. The Duggars took a private family moment and turned it into a ratings opportunity. I've seen enough, and am turning it off.

I did as well. Too much. There is grief in this world which cannot be avoided but this...this was nothing more than dirty, filthy exploitation. Disgusting.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18

Grandma Mary was her sixties when the show started so not really that old. And she encouraged her son and his wife to pursue television fame and share their Godliness with the world. She was an adult who didn't have to encourage her son to put his family on television. There was even some talk that she was the real mastermind behind the series. Yes it's a tough position to be in, but she seems to have gone along with everything and offered no real pushback. She even allowed her son to televise her husband's funeral. 

I'm sorry for their loss. I think filming the funeral is fine; it's likely what Mary expected or wanted. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Useful 3
  • Love 15

I felt so sorry for Jackson & Joe that barely any of their siblings consoled them when they stood at the podium so grief stricken they could barely speak.  One of the brothers gave Jackson a pat on the back & finally Kendra went up to console Joe.  I know they were raised not to show emotion but it just broke my heart that no one was giving them more than just a hand on the back.  God forbid they give each other a full frontal hug & lean on each other when needed.

Rest in peace Grandma Mary.  You were a true Godsend for this family.  

• Love 20
4 minutes ago, auntieminem said:

Well that was pretty uncomfortable. I thought it was odd how there was no mention of JBs sister or Amy.  I am hoping they didn't want to be included.  

Amy seemed pretty raw at that time--and understandably so as close as she was to Mary. I could see her actually telling them to cram the camera at that point. 

• Love 19
21 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

I felt so sorry for Jackson & Joe that barely any of their siblings consoled them when they stood at the podium so grief stricken they could barely speak.  One of the brothers gave Jackson a pat on the back & finally Kendra went up to console Joe.  I know they were raised not to show emotion but it just broke my heart that no one was giving them more than just a hand on the back.  God forbid they give each other a full frontal hug & lean on each other when needed.

I thought everyone was very comforting to Joe and Jackson- I guess we all perceive physical affection differently. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Heathen said:

You're right, N, this is 2/2 parents Jim Bob has exploited for the almighty dollar. I'm surprised he didn't reenact Mary's death with a dummy floating in the pool. 

Was it open casket?  I could see Jim Bob doing that so the estate will get one more residual check. 

Not a Michelle fan by any stretch, but I've got to say -  she seems so calm, reassuring and comforting to Lauren for all those hours. I wish she was with me during the birth of my son, and i had a c section! 

Edited by seasons
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

They never learned how to properly console each other due to repressing any emotion but "keep sweet", strict rules on physical touch, and being kept in a perpetual state of arrested development.

This is evidenced by the RIP Grandma emojis. 😭🙏💔😭💔🙏😞 

• Love 12
42 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Was it open casket?  I could see Jim Bob doing that so the estate will get one more residual check. 

Yes, it was open casket. TLC actually exercised some restraint and didn't show Mary.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 12

Filming every excruciating moment is embedded in these people's DNA. These kids don't know any other way. This is their lives....For that reason, I can't begin to bust on them for how they choose to mourn.  They truly don't know better.

Plus side? We got to see Michelle train Lissy on barefoot counter walking...plate licking is next.

• Love 2

I was fine watching this until poor Jackson fell to pieces.  The younger kids shouldn’t have had to be filmed during this private moment.  It broke my heart seeing him weep by himself in the corner until Jed (?) finally gave him an obligatory pat on the shoulder.  

2 hours ago, auntieminem said:

Well that was pretty uncomfortable. I thought it was odd how there was no mention of JBs sister or Amy.  I am hoping they didn't want to be included.  

Amy was distraught and probably had a few opinions about the cameras being there in the first place.  As for Deanna, I think she’s the one who found Grandma Duggar so I can imagine she’d still be pretty shell shocked.  I would’ve been pissed if they’d showed her.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

Why does everyone have the same voice? Lol Kendra's sister Lauren sounds like most of the Duggar girls. 

I think Kendra’s sister Lauren and Lauren’s sister Lily (especially her—she seems thirsty!) would love to catch a Duggar boy and become a Duggar girl. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, JoanArc said:

Honor thy father and mother - until your reality tv show needs ratings. That 2/2 parent deaths Jim Bob's exploited!

Didn't they include footage of Grandpa Duggar's open casket on the original show? 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Marigny said:

Didn't they include footage of Grandpa Duggar's open casket on the original show? 

can't remember if the casket was open but there was an episode... It was one of the 1st shows I seen of the series... 

Are the prior old forums around somewhere  ? Are old series episodes streamed on some site ? Not suggesting to binge watch Duggar funerals but it would be nice to compare/refresh/ travel down memory lane as kids were young or not even born,yet. 🍿

"Season 2, Episode 13: Duggars Say Goodbye" April 28, 2009

side-note and off topic (sorry) - while I was researching the date of the Jimmy Lee Duggar funereal my eye went to the later episode..

image.thumb.png.710ace6ad36078f46276778467936cf2.pngFast forward 9 years later... importance of a good education...

Edited by sATL
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, seasons said:

Not a Michelle fan by any stretch, but I've got to say -  she seems so calm, reassuring and comforting to Lauren for all those hours. I wish she was with me during the birth of my son, and i had a c section! 

I wish Lauren's mom was front and center. I am hoping she was - just off camera.

I like how Kendra's mom and sister was right there and Michelle took a back seat.

Let the mom or sister give aid, comfort and encouragement to their daughters/sister, first, if they are available.  It is a also a special bonding moment for that grandma-to-be as well.

Now I did get the feeling that the husbands (Joe/Josiah) were there b/c it was "the right thing to do" -  they kind of seem in the way, at times.

Never heard of anyone getting more doses of epidural... or that it failed.. I guess it happens , just no one mentions it..

image.png.26256f1b46f205bf29b37b3336685245.png

Edited by sATL
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

so on the say to the hospital  Kendra is drinking something Starbucks like, and then later on she is saying she is nauseous .   

That would suck for an epidural not to take multiple times.   At least she was able to get one and did not try one of those special home births. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, ThinkerBell said:

I understand acknowledging Grandma Duggar's death on the show, but watching Michelle and Jinger handing her burial clothes and jewellery over to the funeral director was more than uncomfortable to watch. As bad as that was, it was topped by the intrusive cameras shoved in the sobbing faces of the kids as they recalled memories of their grandmother. The Duggars took a private family moment and turned it into a ratings opportunity. I've seen enough, and am turning it off.

This was JB's and M's entire philosophy of child-raising, seems to me. Sell out the personal lives of your kids for money, so that the kids' only choices, always, are either to lie massively on camera or to have their private thoughts, feelings and doings broadcast to millions. Neither a good choice and both almost certainly a road to being psychologically warped for life if you did it regularly, as they have had to. 

In my opinion, JB and M had absolutely no right to do this. Seems to me there ought to be a law preventing parents of minor children from giving their kids' consent-by-proxy to entering this kind of situation. 

It's allowing parents to pursue cash and fame for themselves by selling minors too young to legally give consent into a form of psychologically and spiritually damaging slavery, if you ask me. 

Of course, these asses had already placed their children into a spiritually-enslaving cult. So they've got multiple counts of psychological child abuse on them, if you ask me. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 2
  • Love 20

I was appalled that specifically at the FAMILY viewing, not at the funeral, that several of the kids not only introduced themselves by name, but by number.  That's what happens when the entire stock in trade is schilling being one of 19.  

Made it perfectly clear exactly how much they're all about family.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

I know everyone grieves differently, but it honestly seemed like Michele only started crying when she noticed other people crying. 

Lauren giving birth was really difficult to watch. Poor girl.

• Love 2

Duggar motto: " Buy used and save the difference "

Did the dresses for the photo shoot come from someone's wedding ? Thrift Store? Jana sewed them, from used material and/or heavily discounted pattern ? 

Happy Abbie could make it. It meant alot to the other girls, and when she is feeling better, it will mean alot to her too. She did look thin and a little sickly, though.

I love her honesty/humbleness - " ... if I can get off this couch..". We've all been there - pregnancy and/or some other illness.

Hope Jinger & Jill didn't feel too bad for being left out of the "club"... 

Edited by sATL
  • Love 5

If Austin rehabs houses for a living.... and his father made him finish the 5th house before engagement (ie I guess to have a few $$ in the bank), why are they still living in a camper ?

Too busy with other work to make sure there is a decent roof over his family head ?

Every time I see Joy - all I see is her breasts... I know she is pregnant but she is "full"...

Edited by sATL
  • Useful 1

Jackson made me cry!

Births

Kendra is so cute. even when looking exhausted and not wearing make-up.

In the photo shoot, are those the babies Joy And Lauren lost?  Or was it Bella and Joy is pregnant again?

Edited by flyingdi
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, sATL said:

If Austin rehabs houses for a living.... and his father made him finish the 5th house before engagement (ie I guess to have a few $$ in the bank), why are they still living in a camper ?

Too busy with other work to make sure there is a decent roof over his family head ?

Every time I see Joy - all I see is her breasts... I know she is pregnant but she is "full"...

They recently moved out of the camper into a house.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

They recently moved out of the camper into a house.

Joy is also no longer pregnant to the best of our knowledge, she lost their baby at 4-5 months along.  She's always been pretty well endowed.

I was surprised the funeral home didn't have a room for talking to the family, one without coffin samples and cremation boxes all over the place. Jeez.  

Was Jill at the funeral? Amy? 

Josie was crying so hard, but I also wonder if she was picking up some of that from everyone around her. Not that she's too young to understand, but that's a lot of emotions for anyone to handle, especially a kid.

I watched after reading everyone's comments. All of you were right, there was very little physical comfort given between siblings. Most of it seemed to come from spouses. I did think it was nice that Ben stood next to Jessa while she was talking.  

I liked seeing all the pictures of Mary and the videos of her with her grandkids and great-grandkids were lovely. 

• Love 8
33 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Joy is also no longer pregnant to the best of our knowledge, she lost their baby at 4-5 months along.  She's always been pretty well endowed.

Yeah - that sad news I knew.. I just saw an unsettling (to me) picture of Joy & Austin in the hospital on the internet.. Yes - I think her "endowment" got a little bigger since Gideon. 😁

Edited by sATL
53 minutes ago, TrixieTrue said:

I watched after reading everyone's comments. All of you were right, there was very little physical comfort given between siblings. Most of it seemed to come from spouses. I did think it was nice that Ben stood next to Jessa while she was talking.  

Its sad how uncomfortable with hugs between the siblings. Physical affection can only be shown to your spouse in the sanctity of marriage. How stunting their upbringing was. 

• Love 7
10 hours ago, sATL said:

I wish Lauren's mom was front and center. I am hoping she was - just off camera.

I like how Kendra's mom and sister was right there and Michelle took a back seat.

Let the mom or sister give aid, comfort and encouragement to their daughters/sister, first, if they are available.  It is a also a special bonding moment for that grandma-to-be as well.

Now I did get the feeling that the husbands (Joe/Josiah) were there b/c it was "the right thing to do" -  they kind of seem in the way, at times.

Never heard of anyone getting more doses of epidural... or that it failed.. I guess it happens , just no one mentions it..

image.png.26256f1b46f205bf29b37b3336685245.png

Good point about lauren's mom - maybe she didn't want to be on camera?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Ratings are in: 1.071 M viewers and a .25 rating.

I predicted a slight increase for the funeral.  I was hoping that I'd be wrong.  Births aren't pulling the viewers so let's see who JB pushes to the altar next season. 

Second hour: 1.095 M and a .23 rating.  The birth drew a few more viewers.

Edited by Absolom
Forgot the second hour might be separated.
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, flyingdi said:

I don't really like Lauren much but the poor girls looked so young and scared giving birth.  I thought Josiah and Michelle were quite sweet with her.

Of course, that evil witch in the gingerbread house was sweet to Hansel and Gretel, too. When it served her purposes, that is. 😁

Just like more grandbabeez to add to the count and, she hopes, higher TeeVee ratings serve the purposes of Meeechelle and her evil consort. I wouldn't trust either of them as far as I could throw 'em with my left arm. That sweetie-sweet voice that Meeechelle turns up with when she feels like it? Pure witch stuff, as far as I'm concerned! 😈

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 9
  • Love 5

Did they show the births in the second hour? I watched via TLCgo, and they just showed the funeral. I noticed that it was only 45 minutes or so, but I saw it was a two hour episode block. I guess those two 20 minute specials, plus commercials, filled the time?

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Ratings are in: 1.071 M viewers and a .25 rating.

I predicted a slight increase for the funeral.  I was hoping that I'd be wrong.  Births aren't pulling the viewers so let's see who JB pushes to the altar next season. 

hmmm.. I did too... it's been said ( in some circles) some grieving people who haven't been in church in years or maybe not at all, will attend a loved one's church funeral..

apparently the same can be said for TV funerals - ...viewers who hadn't watched in seasons - will show up out of respect  - the true matriarch of the family has passed. OG followers from 16 kids and counting managed to find and tune into the episode.  🍿

Grandma Dugger was loved by the audience - she never said, much, or did anything offensive. She was just "there" for her grand children. 

15 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Did they show the births in the second hour? I watched via TLCgo, and they just showed the funeral. I noticed that it was only 45 minutes or so, but I saw it was a two hour episode block. I guess those two 20 minute specials, plus commercials, filled the time?

Yes. I came home and Kendra in labor was airing. Actually, after reading the above about the funereal I was glad, as I arriving home from a festive occasion. I guess its nice touch to end the season on a happy note. And JB did say " life goes on..." 

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1