Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: Two Masks Take It Off: Holiday Semi-Finals

• Start Topic

I cannot believe that the song This Christmas was used on this show and Patti LaBelle did not sing it. First they give Lady Marmalade to a Flamingo and now this. I feel cheated. Also, I couldn’t even pay attention to Fox singing because I was so annoyed he got Patti’s song so it was a bad choice for him. If Ipyou don’t know what I am talking about, watch this:  https://youtu.be/z84QdJlPpHE

The highlight of the show for me was Nicole’s face when asked if she would date Dennis Rodmsn. I hope someone with more time on their hands than me finds thst and turns it into a meme.

Edited by Athena5217
Fixed hyperlink
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6

I'm kind of shocked that Seal was voted off.   Wouldn't a Seal win be a good coup for the show?   Unless they consider the Fox even a bigger coup.   As a viewer of Idol, DWTS and The Voice I cannot believe there isn't some behind the scene manipulation with the weekly results.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, sas616 said:

I'm kind of shocked that Seal was voted off.   Wouldn't a Seal win be a good coup for the show?   Unless they consider the Fox even a bigger coup.   As a viewer of Idol, DWTS and The Voice I cannot believe there isn't some behind the scene manipulation with the weekly results.

I tend to agree. It seems like this year that show wants to appear more legitimate and not just a one off fad show. They’ve touted the awards won by the cast. Nothing would make the show seem more legitimate than if one of their winners went on to boost their career and have commercial success after the show. Patti, Seal, Chris, and even Ana don’t need this show for their careers. Wayne and Adrienne do. Wayne has had success in other areas, but he’s not really had commercial success selling the records he’s made. Adrienne used to have a singing career, but she’s had more stops than starts at a solo career including an album that was completely shelved. She’s had success on The Real, but she misses singing. 
If the show doesn’t go that route, they may want to provide Chris the path to redemption for being booted off Idol. I think show will feel like they’ve won either way. 

• Love 4

The producers really need to figure out how guessing should work on this show. I think it's ridiculous that they don't know who someone is for weeks and then suddenly, on the night they're eliminated, they do (see Ken's guess for Thingamajig) OR once it gets to a certain point in the show, they can stop pretending they don't know (ie- Robin's sudden guess of Wayne Brady and Seal, both of which a lot of us had pegged from their first or second performance). Ken throwing out super random and bizarre guesses I'm sure is also coached. Maybe they need to recuse themselves if they are pretty sure they know who it is until that contestant is being eliminated? I don't know the answer for what's best, but the puppet strings are showing and it's distracting. 

• Love 10

Oh my God, you had Seal people! You has Seal! And you let him go! 

The Fox is by far the best and should win, but, as someone who still isnt totally sure that this show really exists and isnt some kind of fever dream I've been having for months after drinking too much hot chocolate this holiday season or an overabundance of pumpkin spice, I dont think actual talent means very much as who the audience/judges latch onto or looks coolest. I mean, Seal!!!

I still find the judges to be mostly pointless, especially as its becoming more and more obvious how they are being fed answers depending on what direct they are going in. "Oh its obviously...this guy that not that many casual viewers would know." "Oh it MUST be...the guy that everyone called it being since week 2!" 

Normally I dont really mind having some B and C List celebrities in these kind of reality shows, but the whole point of this show (or one of the points at least)  is to guess who the people in the costumes are, and we cant do that if we dont know who they are!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 7

I feel like the judges' guesses last season were more genuine, and this season it does seem like they are being fed names from the producers.  

Although since none of them have guessed Chris Daughtry for Rottweiler yet, and none of them got T-Pain last season, maybe that means they are setting up Rottweiler for the win?

I think this season has had better talent overall, but I thought last season's top 5 was better than this season.

• Love 2

Thank God we watch this on DVR, because Flamingo's rendition of Hallelujah was so painful I had to FF it. I wish people on these competition shows didn't always feel the need to perform that song. Really Jeff Buckley's version is the only one I care to hear ever. She should have gotten the boot, and Seal should've stayed, but I suppose we couldn't have an all-male finale.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, Jillybean said:

Thank God we watch this on DVR, because Flamingo's rendition of Hallelujah was so painful I had to FF it. I wish people on these competition shows didn't always feel the need to perform that song. Really Jeff Buckley's version is the only one I care to hear ever. She should have gotten the boot, and Seal should've stayed, but I suppose we couldn't have an all-male finale.

I also thought that they needed a female for the finale. I would have kept Tree not Flamingo. The best versions of Hallelujah are quiet and intimate. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

The producers really need to figure out how guessing should work on this show. I think it's ridiculous that they don't know who someone is for weeks and then suddenly, on the night they're eliminated, they do (see Ken's guess for Thingamajig) OR once it gets to a certain point in the show, they can stop pretending they don't know (ie- Robin's sudden guess of Wayne Brady and Seal, both of which a lot of us had pegged from their first or second performance). Ken throwing out super random and bizarre guesses I'm sure is also coached. Maybe they need to recuse themselves if they are pretty sure they know who it is until that contestant is being eliminated? I don't know the answer for what's best, but the puppet strings are showing and it's distracting. 

The guessing is such a joke and the producer agenda is so clear. I’m nearly certain Ken knew who Thingamajig was for weeks. He’s too big of a basketball fan to not have picked up on the clues. 
I agree that the puppet strings are distracting but most of social media seems to be buying the act. I have a feeling I’ll get tired of the show before any real changes are made. 

The show is starting to annoy me. I only watch it to bond with my daughter. If they dont reveal or confess to fact that they switch celebrities under the masks I'll be done with them. For instance, did anyone notice how different the fox's tone and voice was last episode as compared to earlier one's? Also, the leopard was definitely Rupaul until last night....come on. This show is insulting to my intelligence, but I'll ride it out for my babygirl.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, RayvonS said:

The show is starting to annoy me. I only watch it to bond with my daughter. If they dont reveal or confess to fact that they switch celebrities under the masks I'll be done with them. For instance, did anyone notice how different the fox's tone and voice was last episode as compared to earlier one's? Also, the leopard was definitely Rupaul until last night....come on. This show is insulting to my intelligence, but I'll ride it out for my babygirl.

I question a lot about this show but I don’t think they are switching out celebs. Wayne has a versatile voice and can sound different on different songs but I’ve been able to clearly recognize his voice every week. Plus why would any celeb agree to perform in the masks if they didn’t get the reveal?

21 minutes ago, JAndy said:

Wait, what? Did I miss an episode ? I thought the fox made it to the finals 

Fox definitely made the finals. 

I absolutely loved the Leopard's song last night, he had some iffy performances in the previous episodes but he was my favorite of last night. Seal went so gloriously all in on the character and that was fun to watch. I also enjoyed thathe told Nick he was a great sport. That said, I'm a Fox girl all the way. 

Edited by galaxygirl76
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, RayvonS said:

For instance, did anyone notice how different the fox's tone and voice was last episode as compared to earlier one's?

Wayne can pretty much make his voice sound like anything he wants it to be-he is extremely versatile and talented.

• Love 6

How can Rottweiller not be Jared Leto? The clues about My So-Called Life and 30 (whatever he said, I forgot) when his band is called 30 Seconds to Mars, sealed it for me.

hoping for Fox and Dog for the final two.

• Love 1

I think they purposely throw in clues that if you stretch can fit the person it actually is while leading you to believe it is who it isn't.

I love Leto's voice but I only like the Rottweiler's sometimes. I hope it is not Leto. (But I also hoped that it was not Seal. I will say, Seal started to sing like I thought he should have by the end of his time on the show. I digress.)

Since I am very confused by the whole voting system, not quite sure that the fix is not in, and really think that most of the best voices (and performers) are gone, I watch when I have absolutely nothing else to do.

I am not a big Wayne Brady fan but think he has a wonderful voice. He also seems to be a decent performer. So, I hope he wins (or whomever is under that fox mask).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Enigma X said:

I think they purposely throw in clues that if you stretch can fit the person it actually is while leading you to believe it is who it isn't.

I love Leto's voice but I only like the Rottweiler's sometimes. I hope it is not Leto. (But I also hoped that it was not Seal. I will say, Seal started to sing like I thought he should have by the end of his time on the show. I digress.)

Since I am very confused by the whole voting system, not quite sure that the fix is not in, and really think that most of the best voices (and performers) are gone, I watch when I have absolutely nothing else to do.

I am not a big Wayne Brady fan but think he has a wonderful voice. He also seems to be a decent performer. So, I hope he wins (or whomever is under that fox mask).

I definitely hear Daughtry in the Rottweiler's voice.  I agree with you that even though the leopard kind of sounded like Seal, I was sad that he didn't sound as good as he used to sound.  Until both Tuesday and Wednesday nights, then the leopard sounded like Seal.  So of course, he gets eliminated.

To me, the fox/Wayne Brady is the best all around performer/singer.  He has a good voice and performs/entertains when he sings.  I like Daughtry's voice but I think Wayne is the better performer.  I preferred other females over the Flamingo this season.

• Love 6
On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:59 AM, roughing it said:

And if Rottweiler is Daughtry (sounds just like him) I didn't like him on American Idol, and I really don't like him here either.  Too much vibrato.

compared to who won that season Daughtry is effing god lol

but yeah, not a huge fan of a vibrato. and that's why I'm almost offended on behalf of Darren Chris who has an amazing voice and control over it. He can do vibrato, but it's not a 100% sound like with Daughtry.

I'd love to see Darren on this show... probably the most out of all Glee people (I guess Morrison too, but are they cool enough for him?)

and if we go AI alums, I need me some Cook... a theater nerd in him would embrace this show to no end.

• Love 4
On 12/12/2019 at 5:54 AM, icemiser69 said:

Flamingo is another one that should have flown the coop long ago.

I love the song that she sang but it was not a strong performance. I thing she got votes on the song not how it was sung.

• Love 6
On 12/12/2019 at 11:59 AM, roughing it said:

And if Rottweiler is Daughtry (sounds just like him) I didn't like him on American Idol, and I really don't like him here either.  Too much vibrato.

I love him. He was robbed on American Idol. Taylor Hicks sucked and it sucked seeing him outlast Chris, Katherine and Kellie 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Pristine said:

Mr. Pristine happened to walk by during the Flamingo's performance and asked, "Is that Jackée?"

The actress from 227? That is an odd guess. I guess Flamingo didn’t move around much during that performance, but in others she does, and she has younger person knees.

• Love 1
On 12/12/2019 at 1:34 PM, Jillybean said:

Fully agree.  I can’t stand the Flamingo.  I thought she completely sucked on “Hallelujah”.  I hate her voice and I really dislike her desperation.  When Tree got voted off she jumped up and down in excitement, because she knew it meant she was in to the finals as the last female standing.  

Seal, Patti LaBelle, Michelle Williams... all booted before the terrible Flamingo.  What a crock of horseshit.

Seal did a great job with “Hey Big Spender”.  But I still don’t understand all the gay references.  Him saying he and Nick are married etc.  I get that it was his character, but why was it part of his character.  Seems strange.

Nick saying that Seal gives the show so much credibility.  What about Patti?

• Love 7
12 hours ago, blackwing said:

Seal did a great job with “Hey Big Spender”.  But I still don’t understand all the gay references.  Him saying he and Nick are married etc.  I get that it was his character, but why was it part of his character.  Seems strange.

Maybe he's trying to tell us something? 🤷‍♀️

• Love 1

I feel like they taped the show within just a few weeks or less  I don't think it took months worth of taping. I mean the judges are wearing some of the same outfits almost every episode. Like many reality shows, they say something was last week, when it was really a day or two ago. So they didn't have weeks and weeks worth of guessing. They probably heard a few different performances from one person in the same day. I don't know. They've edited the shows weirdly too. 

54 minutes ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

I feel like they taped the show within just a few weeks or less  I don't think it took months worth of taping. I mean the judges are wearing some of the same outfits almost every episode. Like many reality shows, they say something was last week, when it was really a day or two ago. So they didn't have weeks and weeks worth of guessing. They probably heard a few different performances from one person in the same day. I don't know. They've edited the shows weirdly too. 

The premiere was filmed on July 2nd and the finale not long after August 7th. I have no clue how many tapings they did at a time or how long it was between taping.
I think the editing is weird because they do not film the show straight through. According to E! the film each performance twice once with the singer and once without to get reaction shots. The unmasking is also filmed in two separate parts. 

22 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

It is two hours long.  I can barely tolerate one hour.

With only three contestants left, there will have to be a lot of needless filler and commercials.

There’s going to be a group performance with the eliminated contestants, the contestants singing their last song, commercials, and a review of the best performances from Season 2.

Catching up on this show. One more to go!

This was a bizarre mix of songs. I agree that I was expecting to hear all holiday songs, but it was an odd mash-up. Rottweiler is in a holiday T-shirt and snow-covered trees to sing ... "Mr. Brightside?" And is "Hallelujah" a Christmas song?

I can't stand "This Christmas," (as a song) so I was disappointed to see Fox get saddled with it. And the cognitive dissonance of the Christmas decorations with "Hey Big Spender" probably got Leopard booted.

Thingamajig lasted about two weeks too long for me (and please, let's not do that again, where three out of four people have no prayer of guessing a person), and I'd have lost Flamingo over Leopard, but if we had to sacrifice Leopard to keep Fox and Rottweiler (the two strongest by far, to me), I'm fine with it.

Roll on, finale.

On 12/16/2019 at 10:30 PM, pinkandsparkly13 said:

I mean the judges are wearing some of the same outfits almost every episode. 

This is fairly standard practice so they have greater flexibility in cutting stuff together, especially since it is not filmed in real time. Some judge reaction shots are probably from completely different "episodes", but they may not know in advance what "weeks" might air an actual week apart vs lumped together as a 2-hour episode. Having them wear the same outfits lets them cut stuff together.

On 12/13/2019 at 12:49 PM, vavera4ka said:

compared to who won that season Daughtry is effing god lol

but yeah, not a huge fan of a vibrato. and that's why I'm almost offended on behalf of Darren Chris who has an amazing voice and control over it. He can do vibrato, but it's not a 100% sound like with Daughtry.

I'd love to see Darren on this show... probably the most out of all Glee people (I guess Morrison too, but are they cool enough for him?)

and if we go AI alums, I need me some Cook... a theater nerd in him would embrace this show to no end.

I’d love for David Cook to be on the show! I think he’d be great 

• Love 2