Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Chapter Six - The Prisoner

• Start Topic

Mando: I want to join your team.

Merc: Hey. are you that Mandalorian fugitive with a kid????

Mando: No. I understand how you could mistake me for that guy though...

Edited by paigow
  • LOL 11
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

And, awesomely, apparently they were all cast by someone just randomly scrolling through IMDB pages, and assigning roles.  Clancy Brown as some big, Hellboy-ish looking fella, serving as the muscle.  Natalia Tena as a Twi'lek, who has history with Mando (can't you blame her?  The man can somehow smolder through his mask thanks to the almighty power that is Pedro Pascal's charisma!)  Richard Ayoade as another arrogant droid.  And they're all lead by a former Imperial solider played by Bill Burr.  Yes, that Bill Burr!  Best worst team ever!  And at least three of them are still alive, so hopefully they'll make a return somewhere down the line to be more pains in Mando's ass.

That wasn't just any big red alien, that was a Devaronian! There was one in the Mos Eisley Cantina! Natlia Tena was also Tonks in Harry Potter and Osha in Game of Thrones. She seems to go for the transformative and quirky roles.

And those big floating droids, looked like R1 series, or variant thereof. I was bored one day, and went through every single astromech Wookieepedia could provide. Sometimes I think I need a better hobby.

I wasn't sure about the ep at first, but it improved as it went on. Less of the kid, more heist movie with a bit of Die Hard.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Baby Yoda's little game of hide and seek was cute.  Other than the whole "If he gets caught, he'll get blasted" thing.

And what started it?  Baby Yoda letting himself be known when Zero was decoding that message to Mando.  Baby Yoda's going the extra mile to protect his dad.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Claire85 said:

When Mando said to the Child at the end, “I told you that was a bad idea,” what was he referring to? That wasn’t clear to me. 

Probably answering Malk's call in the first place. Sometimes people want to rewrite history. It doesn't seem like the kid got a say.

• Love 2

Burg is FIREPROOF???? wtf

What is the range of the tracking beacon??? If Mando jumped to hyperspace before the X-Wings arrived at the prison ship, how did they know where to go?

Why has Mando not created a more difficult keypad sequence to unlock the weapons cabinet? Or the Baby Yoda dumbwaiter? One word: BIOMETRICS

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

Bill Burr! Has he ever done sci-fi before? Now that he's hooked up with Disney he's really hit the big leagues.

I don't know how Mando didn't see that doublecross coming. But wow did those fools underestimate him.

Lol when Baby Yoda started playing hide and seek. Baby Yoda knows what's up. But I don't know why the show keeps bothering to put Baby Yoda in peril since we know no real harm will come to the tyke. Baby Yoda stands to be one of the biggest cash cows in the history of merchandising and will have the best plot armor in all universes.

• LOL 2
  • Love 16

I laughed all the way through this episode because you just knew that it was not going to end well for the crew.

I was shocked that Mando allowed a droid to pilot his ship.

One thing that I like about the Star Wars universe is that there are so many different aliens that everybody just kind of shrugs when they meet a new one.

Favreau did a really good job assembling talent for this show. In addition to the actors, the directors and writers consistently deliver an entertaining hour, even for episodes that I wouldn't call "great". (Like this one.)

• Love 9

We continue the theme of idiots thinking they can somehow get one over on Mando, or even hurt his baby, them quickly putting on their clown noses as they realize how badly they messed up. We really are hitting every Western plot, so now we get the unscrupulous mercs and the jail break! This show is so great, its a great mix of world building, practical effects, heartwarming moments, humor, and a lot of great actors who are fully committed to whatever they are asked to do. I especially appreciate how much the guest stars (and what an awesome cast this week of random actors I like!) make such an impact, despite them usually only being around for an episode or two. 

Baby Yoda playing hide and seek was adorable (even if he was in danger) as was his confused "did I do that?" look when he was about to do force stuff on the pilot droid, only for Mando to reveal himself. Also, maybe Mando should find a safer place to hide Baby Yoda, especially when he has a bunch of sketchy people around? 

So I really was hoping to get an answer from Tonks the Twi'lek...does Mando take his helmet off during...stuff, or does Pedro Pascal's super-humanly sexy smolder make him removing his mask unnecessary? 

I am cracking up that the Gungans are apparently a laughing stock even within the actual Star Wars universe. I guess when one of the most well known members of your species, in and out of universe, is apparently Jar Jar Binks, thats inevitable. Its like if the most well known human in a universe full of aliens was Ron Schneider, its not exactly sending our best and brightest. 

Fun seeing some New Republic pilots pop up at the end, I wonder how all of that is going? Mando is obviously trying to stay under the radar so he probably wont be interacting with many New Republic people, but it would be cool to see whats going on with the former resistance now that they're in power. We got a bit of that with Cara, made me interested in getting a glimpse. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 15

Mando is getting soft....

Hey ex-girlfriend...you just betrayed me but I refuse to kill you...

Hey horned dude...none of my weapons can kill you...I refuse to shoot your unconscious ass out the closest airlock...

Hey sharpshooter...I only kill Stormtroopers, this is your life day gift..,

• Love 5

Mando's taste in women could use some improvement, because that Twi'lek chick was annoying as hell -- too over the top in her "trying-to-sound-evil-but-sexy-at-the-same-time" shtick.  It must have been a desperate time for Mando.  He can do better.

Bill Burr (he'll always be Kuby to me!) reacted to Baby Yoda as though he was so unusual looking, when Bill is literally running around with horned and head-tailed beings.   Baby Yoda should not be that unusual in that kind of environment. 

Baby Yoda seemed to be wondering about the strangers on board -- like at first he probably wondered "Do we have company, daddy?  Did you bring me someone to play with?"  And then he quickly realized they were not nice playmates.  I did not like it when he was dropped on the floor! 

I just love how Baby Yoda always has his little arm in the air, when he is trying to summon the Force or just simply say "Hello, here I am!"  Last week, when Amy Sedaris and Mando were looking for him after he fell out of the bad guy's arms, there was Baby Yoda, peeking around a corner with his tiny arm outstretched.  It's so sweet.  And his little arm went up again today, even though Mando took down the droid before the Force took effect.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 22

I hated when Baby Yoda was dropped on the floor. 😢 And when Mayfield picked him up, and pretended to drop him, and the others laughed, I wanted Mando to smoke their asses right there. I guess the fact that he left them in prison instead of killing them shows that he's not the same guy he used to be. I agree with another poster in that he has questionable taste in women. That chick was annoying and not all that. I guess it gets lonely in space though and a Mando's gotta do what a Mando's gotta do.

There were some really cool shots in this episode, like when the lights were flashing and Mando was walking up behind Mayfield. I was actually pretty stressed while watching the whole episode, but I should have known that Mando would come out on top.

Baby Yoda wondering if he blasted the droid using the force was super cute. As was Mando giving him the ball at the end. He really needs to pick up some real toys for the kid.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 20
18 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

But I don't know why the show keeps bothering to put Baby Yoda in peril since we know no real harm will come to the tyke. 

The suspense is what will save Baby Yoda: Papa Mando or the Force)? I cracked up when he checked his little hand in that 'did I do that' gesture after the droid had gotten blasted. (Reminded me of that Volkswagen commercial from a couple of years ago.)

I always love heist plots and this was no exception - lots of fun although those guys weren't exactly the A-team, he! Mando going all Ninja cat/blink was great. 

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 12

I loved this episode, we got a heist plot and a horror  slasher sequence, and great character actor guest stars.

Bill Burr, you got off lightly by Mando just locking you up along your compatriots. I would have not been so nice to you after you so callously dropped Baby Yoda. Don't drop the baby! It stresses me out.

So the only episode I did not much care for so far is No. 5.

I expected this show to be more serialized after the first 3 episodes but I have come to realize that the show is meant to be episodic in nature. I am okay with that as long as we get quality episodes like this one.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

does Mando take his helmet off during...stuff

Does he knock boots with his helmet on? I'd bet money that he does although since this is a Disney product we will forever be left to wonder.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Does he knock boots with his helmet on?

Didn't he tell the widowed mom on the swamp planet that no one's seen his face since he was a kid? So I think that would be either the Mandalorians don't knock boots (heh, maybe that's why the foundlings are the future) or that they keep the helmets on.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Geez, folks - he never said that he kept the helmet on 24/7 (we know he doesn't) just that nobody has seen his face. The answer is obvious: he turns off the lights or he's into kinky stuff with blindfolds. 

You're welcome.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 16

Mando needs to find the outer rim equivalent of Dollar General for toys. He has to save money for fuel.....Did he refuel at the Sons Of Anarchy Starbase?

16 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

Mando's taste in women could use some improvement, because that Twi'lek chick was annoying as hell...

There is probably a big school like the Black Widow facility....girls are trained in combat AND dance.... Then they pick a specialty, the one that ended up with Jabba was a dance major.....

Edited by paigow
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5

I liked the joke about Mayfield working for the Imperials, "Hey, I wasn't a Stormtrooper!" 🤣

Interesting surprise at the end with Mando getting the three into one cell block. A thought, without the administrator, how are these fools going to eat? 

He's got to find a better way to keep Baby Yoda safe. Obviously he's living day by day, but as much as I like this show right now, this will become repetitive. He's got to reach out the the other Mandalorians or the New Republic, or something. 

On 12/13/2019 at 12:54 PM, xaxat said:

One thing that I like about the Star Wars universe is that there are so many different aliens that everybody just kind of shrugs when they meet a new one.

I thought Mayfield did say something like "WTF is this?" when he saw Baby Yoda. His species is super rare, and Lucas kept them that way on purpose for whatever reason. 

• Love 8

I very much enjoyed this one, well, have liked them all! Reminded me of Farscape and Firefly, Xi'an especially reminded me of Chiana from Farscape albeit much more annoying. I was also reminded of Aliens (when he turned the lights out on the ship). Missed a bigger dose of Baby Yoda but I can live with it, when we get good fight scenes (hellboy and Mando) and two scenes occurring simultaneously.

Too bad we've almost finished the first season. Guess I'll just have to rewatch everything.

Edited by PrePreBabylonia
Fixed that tricky alien name!
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

I wonder if the goal is to try for as many seasons of this series as possible -- as any series on a regular network would do -- or if it is only supposed to last for a fixed 2 seasons at that's it.  Has it been stated anywhere?  I know the second season is supposedly filming right now, but has Jon Favreau or anyone involved with the series ever said that it could go on beyond Season 2?

I guess I just wonder what their intent is, as it will impact the storytelling format and pace, I suppose.  If this is only meant to be a 2-season series, then I guess this whole first season could feasibly be just about Mando finding Baby Yoda and then the two of them getting into various predicaments and bonding along the way, with Season 2 leading up to Mando finally finding a safe place to leave the baby forever, and the two of them sadly parting ways as the series wraps up.   But if this is supposed to be a series that lasts indefinitely, then it could play out differently, with Baby Yoda as his permanent sidekick.  Either way, Mando needs to find some way to keep the baby safe that is more effective than what he has been doing.

I don't really mind the format and structure of the show as it is now, because the episodes are short enough to where they leave me excited for the next ones, and I kind of like that Mando and the baby are meeting different people (both good and bad) in each episode, as they travel around the galaxy.  I think some of those good and bad people will appear again in future episodes, but maybe not until next season.  Part of what caused me to start losing interest in space-themed theatrical movies was that they seemed very long.  So this works for me right now.

There wasn't enough of Baby Yoda in this latest episode, though.  When he was onscreen, he was precious and adorable, as always, but he wasn't as prominent as he has been in other episodes. 

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 6

I absolutely love this series.  The first episode was kind of a bummer, as I didn't want it to end so quickly.  But, by the time I got to the third episode, it's turning out to be a much better format than I expected.   They are well-made, very entertaining, and leaves some things to the imagination.  I can do this A-B-C storytelling until the Banthas' come home.

The Prisoner was very good. It kept me entertained, a bit stressed for our Mando and Baby Yoda, surprised me, startled me, and made me laugh, all in less than 45 minutes.  I look forward to seeing what other guest stars will pop up.  This group worked well together, though Xi'an wins the prize for most annoying character yet...barely beating out last week's rookie...and only because throwing those knives was darn awesome.

I sincerely hope that Mando never takes his helmet off for many, many episodes, yet.  The actor/stuntman are really great at projecting what they are thinking.  Cracked me up when the old man was digging at Mando, you could read his thoughts straight through that helmet with the tiniest of head movements.  Love the mystery and cultural aspect of the helmet.  Looking forward to Mando earning his signet.  

On a final note, Daddy Mando has GOT to take better care of Baby Yoda...he's making my mothering instincts/experience freak out!

• Love 11

This week on The Adventures of Baby Yoda, we get a game of hide and seek!

I liked that we got a double crossing heist. My favorite part was the flashing lights with Mando sneaking up on Mayfield. The heist crew can rot in that prison. I learned all I needed to know about them when Mayfield pretended to drop a defenseless baby and they all laughed. YOU CAN ALL GO TO HELL!

Loved Baby Yoda getting his toy back from Mando.

• Love 16

My first thought was why is always female Twilek's in love action Star Wars?  Then I'm happily surprised to see a male.

I must admit I didn't see the double cross coming. 

The action sequences were very good, I also loved the visual style. At first the episode reminded me of early Rebels (I had to check the credits to see if Feloni wrote it). Then I started getting an Alien vibe. I loved the Heist/Horror movie mash up, it worked really well.

I was instantly amused at Baby Yoda playing hide and seek until I realized the evil droid wanted to kill Baby Yoda. I absolutely loved Baby Yoda checking his hand after the droid was destroyed...did I do that? 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 4

This series got off to a promising start. You had the mystery of what the ex-Imperials wanted with baby Yoda, the conflict with the bounty guild, flashbacks of what happened to him when he was a child, and snippets of Mandalorian culture sprinkled in. The last few episodes however, it just feels like the story has stalled out. All he is doing is taking jobs to make money. Rinse and repeat. If this were a 20 episode network show, I would expect there to be some filler episodes, but not in a limited 8 episode run. This is not a bad show and I would have no problems if it was a free network or cable show, but if this is your prestige show designed to entice me to spend $$$ to continue to subscribe to your new streaming service, it is not doing its job very well. YMMV

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, Rambler said:

This is not a bad show and I would have no problems if it was a free network or cable show, but if this is your prestige show designed to entice me to spend $$$ to continue to subscribe to your new streaming service, it is not doing its job very well. YMMV

I would say this is a wonderful show to entice you to spend $$$ to continue to subscribe to your new streaming service. The problem is that they didn't really have any other new shows for people who were caught up on the movie scene. One more new show dropping on Wednesday would have been perfect.

• Love 4

Does he knock boots with his helmet on? I'd bet money that he does although since this is a Disney product we will forever be left to wonder.

If Mando keeps his helmet on even during secksay times then I guess he must not be a very giving lover, if my drift is caught. 😒 But I agree with comments upthread; I'd rather not see him take his helmet off any time soon. Maybe a few seasons from now.

• LOL 8
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

Going to make a bold prediction - next time he's taking off the helmet it's in front of Baby Yoda and all we get to see is Baby's reaction. Epic trolling.

Yes! He takes the helmet off and Baby Yoda coos delightedly at Mando but we the audience don't get to see his face at all.

Another thing I have been thinking is that BY will eventually levitate that little ball gizmo Mando gives him right in front of him.

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, magdalene said:

Another thing I have been thinking is that BY will eventually levitate that little ball gizmo Mando gives him right in front of him.

Yep, you and me both!  The ball seems to be such an important part of the story besides reminding us that BY is just a baby looking for something to play with.

• Love 6

This one made me a bit anxious. Not that I thought anything bad (long term) would happen to Mando or baby Yoda but I thought maybe they'd be separated for one episode and I was not liking that!!!

I know from their actions the crew were not nice people but, were they actually considered "bad guys"? Because they rescued the prisoner from a New Republican ship and the New Republic are the "good guys" right?

4 hours ago, Samwise979 said:

I know from their actions the crew were not nice people but, were they actually considered "bad guys"? Because they rescued the prisoner from a New Republican ship and the New Republic are the "good guys" right?

Most of the people Mando has run into have been shady (to some extent). I tend to think of anyone out to hurt Mando or Baby Yoda as "bad guys" anyone that helps them are "good guys". Anything else is irrelevant to the grand scheme of the show 😁

• Love 9

In my head, I swear I heard PP channeling Malcom Reynolds with the line "I do the job... and then I get paid." but alas, he didn't. At least not verbally. 🙂 

I always enjoy a good prison break and double-cross. Mando must have had some rough times though, if he ever worked with that bunch. 

• Love 4

Mando is so op!  He was ten steps ahead of everybody and won.  

The running theme that Stormtroopers are terrible shots...

That motley crew was so damn unlikeable.  I'm glad that got their comeuppance.  It's still a liability for Xi'an et al. to be alive and for them to have seen Baby Yoda.  Mando should have killed them.  

Baby Yoda is so smart.  He knew that he and Daddy were in trouble, so he played hide and seek with the droid.  And Daddy to the rescue.   

Oh, and he got his ball again.  

On 12/13/2019 at 6:17 PM, TVFan17 said:

Mando's taste in women could use some improvement, because that Twi'lek chick was annoying as hell -- too over the top in her "trying-to-sound-evil-but-sexy-at-the-same-time" shtick.  It must have been a desperate time for Mando.  He can do better.

She was so irritating.  It was disappointing that she lived to be a thorn in Mando's side in the future. 

The Widow was a step-up for Mando.  

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, spaulding said:

The Widow was a step-up for Mando.  

I think seeing the type of scum he used to hang around with helps us understand why he seemed so drawn to the simpler way of life and the kinder people on Sorgan. I'm guessing he hadn't been around many women like Omera before.

Maybe Baby Yoda will use the force to chuck the ball at the head of a bad guy. lol I'm still wondering how he was able to climb up the ladder to the cockpit. He sure gets around for such a little guy.

• Love 5

On my second watch. Does anyone think baby Yoda stopped the coms? They stopped functioning as soon as baby Yoda got to the cockpit and the droid didn't know why/how they stopped working. 

Edited by Samwise979
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, Samwise979 said:

On my second watch. Does anyone think baby Yoda stopped the coms? They stopped functioning as soon as baby Yoda got to the cockpit and the droid didn't know why/how they stopped working. 

I was wondering if Mando did something when he got to the security room, but anything is possible with baby Yoda.  

• Love 2