Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Chapter Five - The Gunslinger

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Now, Ming-Na Wen as the galaxy's most deadly assassin?  Yeah, that checks out!  I was all set to say they squandered her after the blaster shot, but judging from that final scene, it might not be the end for her character after-all.

One day, she will be in a big time franchise, and actually get to smile at the beginning.  One day she'll be told, "Your character will smile at the beginning as you do on your Instagram."

Baby Yoda looked so sad when he was walking down that ramp.  He didn't know where Mando was, poor guy.

• Love 22
3 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I wonder how many more bodies will drop until the galaxy realize that anyone who threatens or tries to harm Baby Yoda, are going to meet a swift death?  Mando might still be new at the whole dad thing and makes mistakes, but he's certainly gotten down the whole "I will mess anyone up who harms my child!" part of parenthood.

Yep. Eventually the guild will run out of hunters. A win through attrition is still a win.

My initial reaction. Not another desert planet! Wait, that one. Still, it's rather warm in my RL location. Given the chance, I'd prefer Hoth right now. But it was well done. Still

Ming-Na did the Lando move of exposing her face for no actual reason than confirming her appearance to the audience. And the name Fennec really suits her, because she's totally foxy! Groan, I know.

Every time I think I know where this show is going, it swerves on me. I thought the other hunter was going to try and double-cross him by going after Ming-Na when the Mando is seemingly asleep. Still, I don't mind being wrong. Pleasant surprises are always good.

• Love 5

Another good episode.

Didn't recognize Fennec Shand, the assassin, but she seemed familiar so I looked her up.  She's done a lot of work, but it's mostly in things I don't normally watch.  Was kind of tickled to find that she was the voice of Mulan, hero and lead in the Disney movie; and played Senator Michaela Wen in Eureka.  I remember Sen. Wen.  A villain, but also smart, efficient, focused, ruthless, and oddly respectful towards the disposition of Holly's body after Wen killed her.  If we see Shand again, I wonder if she'll be an adversary or a supporting protagonist.

Amy Sedaris as Peli Motto, the mechanic?  Again, I suspected I'd seen her before.   Looked her up, and I found I've heard some of her voice over work and saw her many times on TV.  I got to know more about her during the show, so I loved her character.  She knows her craft, and is also a no nonsense Mama Bear.  Bring her back anytime.

The gunslinger?  A wet behind the ears wannabe, who should have started small and worked his way up.  All of his posing, cutting corners in how to be a bounty hunter, and attempted double dealing turned out to be one big example of What Not to Do.  The Mandelorian could only put up with so much before he delivered a richly deserved smack-down.

As for Baby Yoda (guys, give him a name already!), he's still adorable and has more play on social media than the election news.  I now want a "Baby Yoda for President!" T'shirt for Christmas.

• Love 5

That whole beginning was total fanservice. The targeting computer graphics, the "pilot screams while ship is blown up around him", Mos Eisley. . . (Wait, he's taking a kid to the most wretched hive of scum and villainy?), the cantina. . .

And I loved it. 

Do we know why the other Mandalorians rescued Mando from the other bounty hunters? Not only did the fighters put themselves at risk, it was mentioned that the entire clan would have to move. The whole show really makes me look forward to the back end of the season. In addition to that question, the characters played by Ming Na and Carl Weathers will certainly be back.

Who would have guessed that the cutest couple on TV would be a guy who wears a helmet with a face shield and an puppet character who doesn't speak?

• Love 17

Its Mos Eisley! Now theres a name I have not heard in a long time. Good old giant litter box Tatooine is back, complete with cantina, Tuskan Raiders, and sand sand sand! Too bad the house band has moved on, but I am rather tickled that the bar that used to not allow doids is now apparebtly droid owned and operated. Power to the droids!

This show is such a great mix of actors I would totally expect to see in a show like this, like Ming-Na Wen and Gina Carona, as well actors I didnt exactly expect to show up in Star Wars, like Amy Sedaris and Werner Herzog. I thought that Amy Sedaris was quite good (and a bit toned down actually!) and I thought all of her scenes with baby Yoda and her cute droids were great, this show has done a great job of finding actors who can do a lot with only an episode or two to establish a character. 

We get another classic western plot In Space, this one the rookie who gets in over his head and betrays his mentor, and it ends badly story. You little dweeb, you dont mess with Mandos baby! Mando might not have the "dont leave the kid alone in the vehicle alone" part of parenting down, but he sure does have the "mess with my kid and suffer the consequences" part down! The guild is gonna run out of bounty hunters if they keep going after Baby Yoda and Mando at this rate! 

Ming-Na Wen as the best assassin in the galaxy is perfect casting, and at first I was upset that she seemed to be killed off already, but it looks like she isnt down for the count yet. She always rocks and I am excited to see where she pops up next in the Galaxy! 

Baby Yoda looked so scared by all the scary noises and by waking up with no Mando! His cute giant ears and his cute little eyes and his cute little everything! 

• Love 17

Question from the end of the episode. Where does Mando get the money he uses to pay the Amy Sedaris character? Did he take it off Toro? He didn’t collect the bounty on Shand and they didn’t show him taking anything he could have sold. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Stan39 said:

Where does Mando get the money he uses to pay the Amy Sedaris character? Did he take it off Toro?

It looked like he snagged a pouch or something from Toro's belt after he was down and that's what he dumped the money out of. 

I only discovered after looking up the episode details that Toro is played by Bobby Cannavale's son. Oof, I feel old.

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
Just now, krankydoodle said:

It looked like he snagged a pouch or something from Toro's belt after he was down and that's what he dumped the money out of. 

I only discovered after looking up the episode details that Toro is played by Bobby Cannavale's son. Oof, I feel old.

Thanks! That’s what I assumed but it was a little dark and hard to tell on my screen. I’m getting old, too. 

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Stan39 said:

Question from the end of the episode. Where does Mando get the money he uses to pay the Amy Sedaris character? Did he take it off Toro? 

Yes. He grabbed the pouch from Toro.

• Love 1

First off, I love the show.  

Nerdy rant: There is more than the ‘Cobra maneuver’ in aerial combat.  That’s the ‘hit the brakes and they fly past you’ maneuver that seems to be the only one used in TV or movies.  Split-S, Immelmann... I wish they’d use something else besides ‘Cobra’.  It just feels so.... predictable.  Ironman even used it.  10 mins of YouTube search would find other options! /rant off. 

- I liked the maintenance gal.  
- Ming-Na Wen clearly must have a larger role and is not dead.
-  Why does Mando hate droids?
- What exactly DOES The Child eat?  Also, has the he seen Mando’s face?

25 minutes ago, SueB said:

It seems his parents were killed by a droid right after they hid him. You see a droid open up his hiding place and is about to kill him when the scene ends. Obviously he survives but we are never told how, but I suspect it has something to do with the Mandalorians, which eventually adopt him.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

Not my favorite episode, mainly due to spending a lot of time with a character I did not like even before he did a complete heel turn.  When he threatened Baby Yoda I jumped up and shouted "Die, you fucker!"  Hee, this show is making me very vocal.

I wanted to see more of the mechanic and the assassin.

Mando, Mando, Mando, you can't just leave the baby alone on the ship even when asleep at the moment.  You got lucky there with the mechanic being a decent person and a decent baby sitter. You won't be that lucky all the time. You must start interviewing potential nanny candidates - and hire only the ones with the best references for crying out loud. (I am only slightly kidding.)

Edited by magdalene
  • LOL 5
  • Love 6
31 minutes ago, magdalene said:

You got lucky there with the mechanic being a decent person and a decent baby sitter.

It seems like humans who get within a foot of Baby Yoda end up wanting to take care of him...Mando, the doctor that was supposed to harvest something from him (midichlorians?), the server at the restaurant, all the people in the village, and now the mechanic. Makes you wonder if it's just because he's so cute or because he has some other power besides levitation.

Either way, he's cute enough to make me order Baby Yoda swag from the Disney store.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, magdalene said:

Mando, Mando, Mando, you can't just leave the baby alone on the ship even when asleep at the moment.  You got lucky there with the mechanic being a decent person and a decent baby sitter. You won't be that lucky all the time. You must start interviewing potential nanny candidates - and hire only the ones with the best references for crying out loud. (I am only slightly kidding.)

Beskar Baby Bjorn?

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, SueB said:

- I liked the maintenance gal.  

- Ming-Na Wen clearly must have a larger role and is not dead.
- What exactly DOES The Child eat?  Also, has the he seen Mando’s face?

His parents were killed by droids in the Clone Wars. The kid seems to eat anything offered. I don't think it has seen the Mado's face. A baby alien counts as people.

Edited by Anduin
  • Love 3

This was my least favorite episode so far. I liked many of the callbacks to the original films, although I thought the opening scene was a bit too corny and cheap looking, even by original Star Wars standards. My main issue was with the casting of Toro. He just seemed like a guy from the Bronx. Too modern and American. I didn't care about his character at all.

The other thing that felt off was how Baby Yoda was treated. I can see Mando leaving him sleeping alone in the ship, but when he comes back, he just leaves again. He doesn't check to make sure BY is comfortable staying with the wacky lady, or ask her if she could watch him a little while longer. He just jumps on the speeder bike and takes off. Then after he shoots Toro, the lady seemed more worried about BY than Mando did. I thought for sure BY might save himself by using the force to throw a piece of junk at Toro's head. That would have been funny.

What I did like was little BY walking out of the ship. So cute and he looked like he was a little scared, wondering where his daddy was. 🙂 Also, Mando seemed to have made a little spaceship seat for him, which was adorable.

Despite not really liking this epside, I thought it was too short. It seemed a bit rushed.

• Love 10
10 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Its Mos Eisley! Now theres a name I have not heard in a long time. Good old giant litter box Tatooine is back, complete with cantina, Tuskan Raiders, and sand sand sand!

I don’t like sand. It’s coarse, and rough, and irritating — and it gets everywhere.

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, SueB said:

Nerdy rant: There is more than the ‘Cobra maneuver’ in aerial combat.  That’s the ‘hit the brakes and they fly past you’ maneuver that seems to be the only one used in TV or movies.

Nah, there's also 'heading directly into the torpedo/missile before it arms itself' (I'm sure it's got a cooler name on tv tropes).

Mando is on a parental learning curve. He did build a little safety seat for Baby Yoda and he also seems to have a good grasp on Baby Yoda's dietary needs. Second time now he ordered something containing bones for the little one. I'll give him a pass yet for not having figured out what to do when he needs to leave Baby Yoda alone. A droid nanny is of course out of the question and although it looks as if we'll see more of Fennec (I approve!) I doubt she's the maternal type. Ming-Na Wen on baby-sitting duty would be a sight to behold though.

For a mad moment I thought Mando had left the armor as a decoy when tls was ranting at him for falling asleep. It would have made sense to get rid off the shinny thing for a stealth attack or some scouting in the dark. And it would have been a neat tease for all who want to see Mando out of his armor, ahem...

So, word has gone around about Mando and his ward - interesting.

And since tls didn't immediately go 'awww' when he saw Baby Yoda for the first time Mando knew he was dealing with a treacherous weasel. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Also: those mech droids were cute. 

@xaxat: I wondered about the Mandalorinas helping out too. They probably consider Baby Yoda an honorary foundling. From the little we know about their culture it seems that they behave like a wolf pack. Protecting the pups is the first priority. Of course we never had a scene involving them to know about 'the asset' being a kid. Or maybe they came to Mando's rescue because he a) still belongs to the pack and/or b) went rogue after he had gotten chided for siding with the enemy. Same problem - how did they know? Maybe something ended up on the cutting room floor or I'm simply overthinking this. 

ETA: Just noticed that it's not Mando ordering something with bones but Pelo. So I guess in this corner of the galaxy bones are the equivalent of applesauce.

Edited by MissLucas
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11

From what I could tell, this sect of the Mandalorians are in hiding, never allowing more than one to be seen at a time. Nobody seems to know that there was a group of them on the planet. Once multiple Mandalorians came out to defend Mando, their cover was blown and they had to move their base to a new planet. The Mandalorians also seem to have a soft spot for orphaned children, since they were probably all orphans and that is mainly how they replinish their ranks. Mando selling the orphan child for a bounty to former members of the Galactic Empire probably didn't sit well with the Mandalorians with is probably why Mando did a double-cross and none of the Mandalorians seemed to be upset.

I wonder why when Mando shot Karga (leader of a bounty hunter guild), he didn't take his Beskar Steel, it seems to be very rare.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

The other thing that felt off was how Baby Yoda was treated. I can see Mando leaving him sleeping alone in the ship, but when he comes back, he just leaves again. He doesn't check to make sure BY is comfortable staying with the wacky lady, or ask her if she could watch him a little while longer. He just jumps on the speeder bike and takes off. Then after he shoots Toro, the lady seemed more worried about BY than Mando did.

Agreed. There was a disappointing lack of Mando-Baby Yoda interaction in this episode, especially since the scenes you mention presented great opportunities for heartwarming moments.

• Love 7

I kinda like that Mando is making parental missteps. I mean, when he went out after a 50 year old target, he probably never dreamed he would end up being the sole caretaker for a toddler. I can’t imagine he’s ever really been in a situation in his life where he would learn how to care for a child. He’s utterly unprepared and is completely winging it. He’s going to fuck up (though at this point he should know that LBY can push the buttons to open doors and he can’t really leave him on the ship alone and expect him to stay). It is too bad that he’s so anti-droid, because I agree that a droid nanny would be pretty ideal.

He’s also still far from a saint, which I also appreciate. He’s so anti-droid that he basically starts firing at the mech droids the second he sees them. You pulled into a repair shop, dude. OF COURSE the droids are going to start poking at your ship. It’s their job. Then at the end he shoots Toro dead (do NOT mess with Baby Yoda), robs his corpse, then basically steps over his body to get back on the ship and leave. Those aren’t the actions of a nice person. 

The casting on this show really has been great. Carl Weathers, Werner Herzog, Nick Nolte, Gina Carano, Amy Sedaris, and now Ming-Na Wen (who I learned is 56 and looks amazing). I hope they continue to surprise us with these great guest spots.

Edited by Kostgard
  • Love 14
7 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I wonder why when Mando shot Karga (leader of a bounty hunter guild), he didn't take his Beskar Steel, it seems to be very rare.

The code says "Only take Beskar from a dead body or creepy Senators"

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, SueB said:

Nerdy rant: There is more than the ‘Cobra maneuver’ in aerial combat.  That’s the ‘hit the brakes and they fly past you’ maneuver 

His PTSD blocked out all the other parts of Top Gun...

• Love 3
On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 9:55 AM, Zahdii said:

I now want a "Baby Yoda for President!" T'shirt for Christmas.

LOL! Me too. I'd wear that in a heart beat :-)

I enjoyed this episode and all the call backs to the original. I really hope we see more of Ming-Na Wen and the repair lady with her droids.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was hoping that Amy Sedaris would get on the ship with Mando and become the repairman/BY nanny/sidekick

They could be the AAA for the outer rim....Broken down in space? Call us for a boost....

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Sugarbeetle said:

The thing that really struck me has how deserted Mos Eisley was, especially when you think of how bustling it was in A New Hope. 

"If there's a bright centre to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Yeah, Lucas messed about with it, made it too busy. Yeah, Dave Filoni won't actually say anything. But it looked just right, IMO.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Anduin said:

"If there's a bright centre to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Is that better than.....

Rey: Jakku

Han: That is nowhere.

Edited by paigow
  • Love 1

When will the mandelorian learn he can't leave baby Yoda alone like that?! 

I really hope Ming-Na Wen will be back. I am a fan of agents of shield so I was excited to hear she was going to be on this!

This one requires a second watch because my computer wasn't working and I had to watch it on my phone. (but, who am I kidding, I've watched every episode twice lol)

• Love 2

So, the space fight at the beginning was rough. I think not seeing Mando’s face and reactions hindered the scene. And I was thinking that Hera Syndulla would be mortified at how horrible he was flying-which cracked me up. It was one bounty hunter. I’d hate to see Mando flying against multiple adversaries. Its also enduring that this legendary bounty hunter was kinda on the struggle bus while flying. I hope they get those scenes a little tighter bc I love a good space fight.

I like the continuation of the hatred of droids in this episode. It really makes me want a Chopper/L3 type of Droid to win over Mando’s heart eventually. Those mechanic droids were ADORABLE.

Was that Mando’s bed he put The Child in? Those were some tight quarters...I wonder as this show goes on and if we see a different ship to house more crew or if Mando and The Child are going to be the only reoccurring characters. I want Ming-Na Wen in scenes with The Child. I know it would be really easy to make her awkward around kids, but I want the opposite. I want her to immediately start teaching The Child ridiculous things. Come on, a Force-sensitive, probably soon to be Mandalorian Youngling with one of his guardians is an assassin mercenary? That would be one informed child. Plus, if you add in Cara who is the solider rebel...

All in all, not a bad episode. Lots of Easter eggs which I loved. Did not like the baby bounty hunter-glad he was just a one and done character and not another Easter Egg character. Loved being on Tatooine.

I like that Filoni pushed the story forward. New players, another thread with Fennec. And it very much reminded me of Rebels. Working a job for credits, plan didn’t go to plan, and the chaos that followed the plan going to hell in a hand-basket. 

The start of the episode reminded me of something in Star Wars that has bugged me for a long time. Why does it seem like none of the space ships have guns that can fire backwards?

On 12/6/2019 at 12:55 PM, Zahdii said:

As for Baby Yoda (guys, give him a name already!), 

Keep in mind that the main characters of the show doesn't seem to have a name either.

On 12/6/2019 at 7:07 PM, SueB said:

Nerdy rant: There is more than the ‘Cobra maneuver’ in aerial combat.  That’s the ‘hit the brakes and they fly past you’ maneuver that seems to be the only one used in TV or movies.  Split-S, Immelmann... I wish they’d use something else besides ‘Cobra’.  It just feels so.... predictable.  Ironman even used it.  10 mins of YouTube search would find other options! /rant off. 

Dog fights in space shows always seem weird. Like the people designing them forget the ships are flying in space where there is no gravity and no air resistance. They should be able to do crazy moves that a plane would never do (like flip you ship so the front is pointing at the guy chasing you while still moving in the same direction). But no show ever does.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

The start of the episode reminded me of something in Star Wars that has bugged me for a long time. Why does it seem like none of the space ships have guns that can fire backwards?

Millennium Falcon had 360 degree turrets....but not remote controlled by the pilot...so a live gunner was required....

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Dog fights in space shows always seem weird. Like the people designing them forget the ships are flying in space where there is no gravity and no air resistance. They should be able to do crazy moves that a plane would never do (like flip you ship so the front is pointing at the guy chasing you while still moving in the same direction). But no show ever does.

Babylon 5 did this with their CGI space battles back in the ‘90s. The creators were very proud of the fact that their Starfury one-man fighters, as well as other small craft, could spin while retaining momentum in order to reorient guns. Ground-breaking at the time.

Edited by tkc
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

In Star Wars Rebels, The Ghost had a 360 turret too that someone had to shoot. It also had a dorsal turret someone had to man too but it was actually part of a secondary ship that could separate. 
It seemed like some captains made sure they could fire upon ships behind them, just not everyone thought that way.

20 minutes ago, tkc said:

Babylon 5 did this with their CGI space battles back in the ‘90s. The creators were very proud of the fact that their Starfury one-man fighters, as well as other small craft, could spin while retaining momentum in order to reorient guns. Ground-breaking at the time.

That's how physics really works in space. Gene Roddenberry, Rockne S O'Brien (Farscape), and George Lucas were aware of space physics, but chose not to go down that route.

However, Firefly and the RDM BSG went with real physics too.

• Love 3

All I know about flip and burn I learned from the Expanse aka the show that made me really appreciate our little gravity well.

The flip and burn attack comes at 4:50. I was also wondering if Mando's Razor Crest was a sly nod to the Expanse's Razorback but I'm not very well versed in SW lore. It might be the other way around.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, paigow said:

Millennium Falcon had 360 degree turrets....but not remote controlled by the pilot...so a live gunner was required....

Yea I remembered about the Millennium Falcon but that was the only one I could think of. How different would the trench run be in Episode 4 if Luke Skywalker could shoot backwards.

3 hours ago, MissLucas said:

All I know about flip and burn I learned from the Expanse aka the show that made me really appreciate our little gravity well.

The flip and burn attack comes at 4:50. I was also wondering if Mando's Razor Crest was a sly nod to the Expanse's Razorback but I'm not very well versed in SW lore. It might be the other way around.

I don't really see it. While the Expanse is another current space opera, the Razorback is a different style of ship used in a different way. IIRC it's purely a racing ship. Not built for a fight or for hauling people around outside its crew.

8 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

It seemed like some captains made sure they could fire upon ships behind them, just not everyone thought that way.

In a few years, The First Order will develop a 2 seat Tie Fighter with rear facing turret....

• Love 3

I haven't been a huge Star Wars fan since Return of the Jedi, and I had no plans to start watching The Mandalorian (I don't even have Disney+ yet).  But once I saw Baby Yoda start popping up in still photos and memes galore, I was smitten and wanted to see more of this little angel.  I figured, "Well, he can't possibly be as cute on the show as he is in the memes.  The memes are probably making him seem cuter than he is." 

Then I began watching multiple fan reaction videos for each new episode, so I have seen all of the key scenes in the series at this point.  Not only was I wrong -- Baby Yoda is soooooo much cuter on the show than he is in the memes, which says a lot about his cuteness -- but I find myself wondering how he can possibly be that cute.  It's like another level of cute that I didn't even know existed.  He is unreasonably, abnormally adorable.   I used to think that little Gizmo from Gremlins was the cutest fake creature in a movie or on TV, but I think that Baby Yoda has surpassed him on the cute scale.

I just cannot get enough of Baby Yoda's little sounds and noises!  The tiny nose, big ears and huge eyes... the tiny teeth (or is it actually a single tooth?)... the oversized robe... the way he toddles around... the way he reacts to things... the way he won't stay put and wants to follow Mando around.  It's too much adorableness to handle!

It's sad because, as soon as Baby Yoda finds playmates who love him despite his habit of swallowing frogs, it's clear that the environment is unsafe and Mando has to take him and move on.  When Baby Yoda tentatively (and sadly) waddles down a ramp into the loving arms of an unexpected babysitter, Mando has to eventually take him and move on.  Baby Yoda is leaving the people who would care for him because of the danger of staying behind, but, in the process, Mando clearly can't or won't stay with him at all times. 

So something is going to have to change at some point, in the next 3 episodes or next season.  Either Mando will have to start keeping Baby Yoda with him at all times and not leaving him behind, OR he will have to leave him in the safest place he can find and let him have a chance at a good life even if he is in danger, OR something horrible will happen such as Baby Yoda is stolen from him and taken away to somewhere he can't be found.  I would like to think Mando and Baby Yoda will be together for the full duration of the series, but I don't think that will happen.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 8

Was that Boba Fett at the end? We are on Tatooine and, this takes place right after RotJ. I know that Boba Fett survived the Sarlacc in the Extended Universe.

I liked this episode, the whole show is really just an old fashioned Western and, I'm totally down for that.

Watching Ming Na-Wen I'm stuck by how young and beautiful she looks. My other thought was damn Disney is just recycling their actors, directors, etc. 

Feloni really needs to be given a Live Action Star Wars show or feature film, he really is quite talented and loves the subject. If they ever make an Ahsoka Tano film (rumors) they should give it to Feloni

• Love 1