Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

Does John know Anna used to be in love with a mobster? I hope he and Anna do not get involved. She has had one too many "I was just seeing what I wanted to see" phases for my taste.  

• Like 6
(edited)

Today's writing for Nina explains why I'm not convinced they will throw her under the bus. It's still too early to tell, but I liked Valentin's little pep talk to her. I hope she takes some of it to heart and realizes she does not need to jump through hoops to prove her worthiness to Sonny, of all people.

I like the chemistry between Kate Mansi's Kristina and MB (I'm not sure if her mimicking Sonny's accent today was an ad-lib, but MB's reaction seemed genuine, and it was a fun moment). Still, I am getting sick and tired of them leaning so hard into this idea that Sonny has been the ONLY one she's ever been able to turn to. That's not what I remember happening on screen. I don't remember her turning to him when she was abused. She and Sonny clashed bitterly when she struck up her friendship with Johnny Zacchara. Even when she was older, I don't remember that.  I also don't recall Kristina being this "rah, rah, you're the best, most perfect parent ever." Maybe it's a function of thinking Sonny died during the NF storyline, but this still feels over-the-top.

Edited by FilmTVGeek80
  • Like 15
  • Applause 2
2 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Sonny has mostly been the parent who indulges Kristina, so of course she thinks he's the one who supports her the most.

She also got a positive reaction from him when she told him that she was bisexual and has an affair with her professor. So she felt that she was supported by him when it really mattered to her.

• Like 5
21 hours ago, ffwbe said:

The teen boys playing Danny, Aiden and Rocco all look the same to me. I wish there was more variety in casting 

Danny and Aiden especially, except the Danny actor has lighter hair. It was especially notable in Tuesday’s episode

• Like 5

Nina as a flighty truth-teller who has fuck you money to fall back on is actually a great place for her on the canvas. I don't think she is on her way out, just probably done with Sonny. I think the writer's a planning a real reckoning for him and them being stable would complicate that. They can put her back with Val or have her as a free agent. But rich busybody is a good role for her.

• Like 11
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Sonny has mostly been the parent who indulges Kristina, so of course she thinks he's the one who supports her the most.

Pretty much- even when he thinks something is a terrible idea, like the surrogacy, he tells her otherwise because he knows Alexis will play the heavy every time. Alexis has even called him on it in the past and say he only tells her what she wants to hear. 

• Like 6

Anna suddenly sees Sonny as criminal? Her eyes are open now. LoL She's a joke of a commissioner or person she was.  She went to him and lived at his house instead of anyone else in town. She looked the other way by doing that. 

Anna is talking like Sonny was the only one there for Robin.  Mac and Felicia were there more, Mac raised her everyday. Brenda was there too.  

Valentine was so right today, Nina needs to be done grovelling for Sonny and be something more again. 

Brooklyn better have a reaction to finding out Danny is lying, covering and abetting the person with a warrant out for him. Hiding him on property since she's all about Jagger doing wrong. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

I laughed so hard when Mooby told Kristina that he and Alexis both “wanted” her, considering he didn’t even know she was his child until she was around 2? Up until then, he, along with everyone else thought she was Ned’s!

• LOL 7

There is one thing bugging me with Jagger. FBI agents from my understanding never interview folks alone. They work in pairs because lying to an FBI agent is a federal crime in and of itself so they want two witnesses. I understand economy of characters on a soap but it's bugging me.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
27 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I laughed so hard when Mooby told Kristina that he and Alexis both “wanted” her, considering he didn’t even know she was his child until she was around 2? Up until then, he, along with everyone else thought she was Ned’s!

I do remember Sonny getting upset and venting to Brenda when the results of the fake paternity test came out and it showed Ned as the father. However, Sonny is a baby collector who wants kids no matter who the mother is and was rarely an active parent before their adult years so it doesn’t mean much to me either way. 

• Like 6
55 minutes ago, Artsda said:

Anna suddenly sees Sonny as criminal? Her eyes are open now. LoL She's a joke of a commissioner or person she was.  She went to him and lived at his house instead of anyone else in town. She looked the other way by doing that. 

Anna is talking like Sonny was the only one there for Robin.  Mac and Felicia were there more, Mac raised her everyday. Brenda was there too.  

Valentine was so right today, Nina needs to be done grovelling for Sonny and be something more again. 

Brooklyn better have a reaction to finding out Danny is lying, covering and abetting the person with a warrant out for him. Hiding him on property since she's all about Jagger doing wrong. 

I'm starting to think the new writing team wants to dial back all the Sonny love by people who are supposed to be "good" (Laura, Anna, even Joss).  It's a little ridiculous that everyone (except Cyrus) sees Sonny as one of the good guys.  I hope this trend continues, and extends to Jason.  There will always be mob apologists but I for one don't think it should be the entire cast.

Though I don't like Joss, I think ER has been killin it.  I think the actress should try branching out, it could be a boon for the actress and a plus for those who can't stand the character.

I'm starting to like John.

• Like 11
3 minutes ago, Jenxee said:

I'm starting to think the new writing team wants to dial back all the Sonny love by people who are supposed to be "good" (Laura, Anna,

I remember Laura’s GLORIOUS rant at Mooby when they all thought Lucky had died in the morgue. Too bad she got over her rage and hatred. Just as Robin forgave him after she was rescued from her abduction. Anna? I have no words.

• Like 7
5 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I do remember Sonny getting upset and venting to Brenda when the results of the fake paternity test came out and it showed Ned as the father. However, Sonny is a baby collector who wants kids no matter who the mother is and was rarely an active parent before their adult years so it doesn’t mean much to me either way. 

I know this is probably a bad look, but I like seeing relationships with good chemistry, even if it doesn't make much sense based on prior storylines so I don't mind a bit of a re-write with Sonny and Kristina.  I love how she's such a daddy's girl with him and I think their chemistry is nice.

• Like 6
22 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

It was Carly. Brenda was still presumed dead at the time.

• Like 1

I actually didn't think it was chem testing for Anna and Jagger, but rather we're getting some potential seeds for Brooklyn and Jagger. Their first meeting was antagonistic. She's talking/venting about him to Chase. He's talking about her to Anna, and in doing so, points out how she made him realize he had erred in his action, and essentially made him want to do better.

I know that Chase and Brooklyn have their fans, but I read a lot more people bored with the two. Shaking them up would be the best thing for the characters and I could see the new regime throwing some seeds out there to see what blooms.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, driver18 said:

I actually didn't think it was chem testing for Anna and Jagger, but rather we're getting some potential seeds for Brooklyn and Jagger. Their first meeting was antagonistic. She's talking/venting about him to Chase. He's talking about her to Anna, and in doing so, points out how she made him realize he had erred in his action, and essentially made him want to do better.

I know that Chase and Brooklyn have their fans, but I read a lot more people bored with the two. Shaking them up would be the best thing for the characters and I could see the new regime throwing some seeds out there to see what blooms.

I saw the same thing!!!  It would be very soapy!!

• Like 2

Sorry, considering Brooklynn wasnt even born the last time Jagger was on the show the idea of them together gives me the ick. He would be more appropriate for Lois. I enjoy him with Anna though.

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, Grinaldi said:

Sorry, considering Brooklynn wasnt even born the last time Jagger was on the show the idea of them together gives me the ick. He would be more appropriate for Lois. I enjoy him with Anna though.

Jagger was the high school boyfriend of Brooklyn's mom's' best buddy Brenda.

I think he is most likely for Carly.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4
  • Wink 1
11 minutes ago, nilyank said:

Jagger was the high school boyfriend of Brooklyn's mom's' best buddy Brenda.

And I was just starting to like him.  Please don’t doom him to becoming a Carly.

• Like 9
  • Applause 5
1 hour ago, Grinaldi said:

honestly, i wouldn't mind a good ole May-December romance on the show

• Like 7

Come on, Harrington is the hottest  guy we've had over 40 on this show in ions.  Sending him to Carly is the easiest and fastest way to unsex him.  No please!  And BLQ, I'm sorry but the actress is not going to give in the hot romance dept.  Anna's daughter went to school with him.  Ava is dirty, I have zero doubt the chem would be there, but I want to keep Jagger clean.  I just strongly feel that he should stay unattached and in the orbit of Liz, Jordan, and Nina, and let's see what pops.  

6 hours ago, Daisy said:

honestly, i wouldn't mind a good ole May-December romance on the show

I'm not against it but this particular BLQ is not the one. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3

The thing is that for some reason Amanda Setton works better on the May/December romances. She showed that on OLTL. And Jagger looks good, and they looked good together.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, driver18 said:

The thing is that for some reason Amanda Setton works better on the May/December romances. She showed that on OLTL. And Jagger looks good, and they looked good together.

I don’t think it works for the type of limitations she’s put in post marriage. She’s not the same actress she was on OLTL. Who wants to watch a May/December romance that’s completely chaste? 

• Like 4
  • LOL 5
15 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

They definitely chem tested John/Jagger and Anna today.

But I still want her with Valentine.  I hope the new writers will make it happen.

I don't know, the way Valentin was salivating all over Nina yesterday, praising her for simply existing, was making me glad that he and Anna broke up. I wouldn't mind John/Jagger being paired with Anna or Brook Lynn or even Elizabeth but NOT Carly--she already has Sonny, Drew and now Jason's interest, she doesn't need the new hot guy's.

Re: Anna's realization that she gave Sonny the benefit of the doubt because of her guilt for not being there for Robin, I appreciate her self-analysis and ability to admit her own mistakes.  I also hope she holds true to her words and investigates Sonny and his illegal activities, especially the whole shipping illegal arms/Pikeman situation.

• Like 8
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Grinaldi said:

There is one thing bugging me with Jagger. FBI agents from my understanding never interview folks alone. They work in pairs because lying to an FBI agent is a federal crime in and of itself so they want two witnesses. I understand economy of characters on a soap but it's bugging me.

Oh, come on, now! This show, ever since Mooby ate it up, has done a piss poor job of portraying cops as they should be. In the early to maybe late 90s, we still had a semblance of it-more than two detectives working at the PCPD; a competent ADA and DA; Sean as the Commissioner (even though his introduction should have excluded him; as Anna, really, since she was a double agent, but whatever), who ran a tight ship. Even going  further back, when the WSB wasn't dirty or shady, and Robert became Commissioner, the PCPD was portrayed well, with Burt Ramsay as Captain. Well, until the introduction of Duke, and then you had Mr. Big! That reveal was along the lines of "Who Shot JR?" for me!

Every single Fed that's come on this show has been revealed to be either dirty or incompetent. It's been Mooby's Show since he became a lead and we were told cops=BAD; mobsters like Mooby/Jason=HEROES!

• Like 7

I thought the boy in the stables was Wiley when i first saw him

It's impossible to tell these kids apart on the show.

I think the actor who plays Cates. Is the best part of the show.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, ffwbe said:

I don’t think it works for the type of limitations she’s put in post marriage. She’s not the same actress she was on OLTL. Who wants to watch a May/December romance that’s completely chaste? 

LOL that's very much true. which is why - as much as they are devoid of chemistry romantically they probably put Chase/BLQ together. both of them want to be rated G for general in the romance department. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Apropos of nothing, I hope Eve LaRue is going to be around for a while-I've always been a fan of her work.  Also, I would love to know what her secret is, because she looks  like a million bucks.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

I wouldn't mind John/Jagger being paired with Anna or Brook Lynn or even Elizabeth but NOT Carly--she already has Sonny, Drew and now Jason's interest

Speaking of, I can't believe that shrew has managed to not track Jason down since he left her house.  

• LOL 7
13 hours ago, driver18 said:

we're getting some potential seeds for Brooklyn and Jagger

I hope not. If they're going to split up BL and Chase, at least make the guy something other than another cop. I don't think one who's actively going after Sonny is someone BL would be with. 

• Like 1
On 3/15/2024 at 6:51 PM, ffwbe said:

However, I’m all for Alexis being a lawyer because her working at the Invader was always a flop for me. They never could decide what is was anyway. The company line was that she turned into a serious newspaper but everytime we saw or heard about articles from it, it seemed like the same click bait newspaper Peter worked on.

Same.  When she was smugly telling Nina that Nina knew nothing about being working at the invader I yelled at the tv “neither did you!” She was awful in those scenes.  

• Like 14
12 hours ago, nilyank said:

Don’t think so. He originally chem tested with LW and didn’t get the part, so I hope they don’t go there. In fact there isn’t a single woman on the show that I want to see him with. Let him stay single for a while. He can be friends with Anna and even Jordan. But no romances 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Having Maxie give out passwords when needed is a very cumbersome way to keep things secure. Not that anything Spinelli does with computers surprises me.

For people who work in beauty and fashion, the Deception crew is awfully ignorant about how the business works. It's no dig at Sasha to say she's not edgy. Though her styling for the shoot didn't help.

LOL that Drew has to go crawling back to Nina and ask her to be the editor of Crimson. Serves the idiot right. I love how Nina was able to put the pieces together, even if it was Drew who did the dumping.

Drew is one to talk about schadenfreude. And considering what a jackass he's been toward Nina, what did he expect her reaction to be? FFS. How much longer do we have to put up with him?

• Like 8
  • LOL 1
17 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

And considering what a jackass he's been toward Nina, what did he expect her reaction to be? FFS. How much longer do we have to put up with him?

I did feel like today, there was a lot less menacing/threatening vibe coming from him in their scenes.  I think it's the first time in months that I didn't feel like her safety was in jeopardy.  Maybe the writers told him to tone that shit down, so that it wasn't coming off of him in waves, where viewers felt he needed some anger management classes. 

Having said that, dear writers, NO Nina is not the one who sent the idiot to jail, the idiot CHOSE to do Carly's time for her.  

I also loved all the digs Nina was throwing out about Carly.  CW seemed more light and happy than she's been in awhile.  

• Like 10
  • Applause 5
(edited)
9 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

I did feel like today, there was a lot less menacing/threatening vibe coming from him in their scenes.  I think it's the first time in months that I didn't feel like her safety was in jeopardy. 

Well, he needed something from Nina. Being aggressive toward her isn't the way to make her want to come back to Crimson. (I know, Nina is desperate enough to be editor again that it probably wouldn't matter, but you know what I mean.)

9 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

I also loved all the digs Nina was throwing out about Carly. 

That was glorious.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Like 3
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

I also loved all the digs Nina was throwing out about Carly.  CW seemed more light and happy than she's been in awhile.  

oohh what was she saying?!

Nina better get a rock-solid contract at Crimson. I'd hate to think this was Drew's scheme to get her to lose what she's doing now, only to then have the EIC fashion gig get yanked again too.

Sort of weird that Nina, Alexis and even Gregory all seem poised to leave the Invader. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, Auntie Velvet said:

Sort of weird that Nina, Alexis and even Gregory all seem poised to leave the Invader. 

Doesn't anyone have a contract? The lawyers in Port Charles must be constantly busy with breach of contract suits. 

• Like 7

I thought the Michael/Willow scene was a bit on the gross side and that he was taking advantage of her love for him to get her to keep from telling about the drugs. What happened to Michael in jail sucked, but I thought that it was blatant emotional manipulation to get her to fall in line.

The Drew/Nina scenes were all kinds of great and I could have watched an hour of her sticking to him, so it made me sad to see her fold at the end.

Just close down Deception and retire Lucy. She's just annoying at this point.

• Like 14

Willow is no Nurse Jackie when it comes to stealing meds. 

Okay I may get pelted with rocks and garbage for this ...but I felt Drew and Nina had a bit of a Tracey/Hepburn sparring vibe going today that was more playful and almost flirty than the OTT rage of the last few months. They both seemed to be enjoying it. I might not be mad if this turned into attraction.  Bonus if Carly and Sonny's heads explode.  

• Like 13
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 6

Honestly it was shocking to see this Drew have chem with someone.  But then it made me think of when he first came on the show, and he was being held prisoner by Victor.  I really shipped him and Britt.  I am afraid he  had the sexy chem sucked out of him by his disastrous pairing. That stink is gonna hang on him for a while though.  For me anyway. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
On 3/19/2024 at 9:51 PM, threebluestars said:

We need more characters that are not related to anyone to diversify the GH gene pool lol.

What, just because this show has family wreaths instead of family trees?

• LOL 10

Somebody please get Jane Elliot some better material than she's had the past few days, before she dies of boredom.  Where's Gregory when you need him?

Interesting dynamic unfolding between Laura and Heather.  I wonder where they are taking us. 

Also, I really like the way GF and JL portray a strong, mature marriage.  Theirs feels like a true partnership.

• Like 8
  • Love 3

Strangely enough I didn't really hate Nina and Valentin's scene yesterday and he brought up a lot of really good points about Sonny. I really wish that Nina would just forget about him already and move on. It's pretty obvious at this point that Sona is over and done with for good. However, I really don't want Nina to have anything to do with Drew romantically or sexually, especially since he has been pretty verbally abusive and threatening to her in the past. 

I actually think it would be better if Nina just remains single forever and just does nothing but stir the pot and cause trouble every once in a while. Even better if she has nothing to do with Willow or her kids. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

thought the Michael/Willow scene was a bit on the gross side and that he was taking advantage of her love for him to get her to keep from telling about the drugs

More than a bit gross--FULL ON gross.  So, let me get this straight: Jason >>>>> Willow.  Because that's basically what Michael told Willow; YOU have to risk getting in trouble so *I* can protect Jason.  Husband of the year, there.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 9
  • Love 2

Okay is Drew’s self-delusion that he went to jail because of Nina deliberate to show he is DELUSIONAL? Or are the writers just trying to retcon what actually happened? And us Cameron Mathison trying to regrow his beard? Because he looks absolutely gross. And that his reverse psychology is working on Nina infuriates me.

I did enjoy the scenes with Jagger and Anna, though.

That’s all I got since I can’t post what I think of bratty James and what I wish would happen to him, Drew, AND the SLS.

• LOL 1