Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

AP really is the best screamer and panic face. This can really come of as fake but she is perfection!!

I agree, Heather hooking someone from the front with a curved hook is kind of impossible???

Again Laura to the rescue Jordan walks around with a duh face,

• Like 8

Ok so I can KIND OF see why Portia didn’t tell Curtis about Trina in the beginning. He left her and maybe she didn’t know where he was going, maybe he changed his phone number, who the hell knows.  But when she came in contact with him again and realized they were both living in the same city, not to mention when they got back together and decided to get MARRIED…..umm yes girl, ya gotta tell him.  Marcus should have known from day one.  And to never get a DNA test?  That’s just absurd.

• Like 12
  • Love 1

Today was good soap with the group on the island (AP, JL and AM all fantastic fun), the police on the pier trying to catch them, and Spencer/Trina. Then they cut to Curtis/Trina and it all screeched to a huge halt.

I know that they needed the tunnel for plot! (who has the money to build a tunnel like that under a lake and maintain it from the water coming in?) but surely the PCPD has scuba divers who could swim part way across from boats and storm the house?

So Gregory can't be on the editorial board because the university says so? I wish the writers would do their research because if professors couldn't have side gigs, they would be a lot poorer.

Curtis is angry at Jordan for telling Stella and not telling him her suspicions. Ugh.

22 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Curtis really is the "one who got away" fantasy man to Jordan, ugh. 

Jordan, you may look like a block of wood when you're emoting but you can do so much better girl.

• Like 8

Spencer chitchats with Trina at the gallery for a bit and then says he'll stick around, "especially because Esmé escaped." Way to bury the lead!

Wow, Heather hooked Austin. Maybe that will bring him and Ava closer together, heh.

"I thought I told you to wait on the launch!" Oh, Ryan. Don't you know Heather at all? She's gonna Heather. 

Ugh, Portia's dumb secret is finally out, and still no one suggests a DNA test to be sure? I suppose Curtis needs time to have his hissy fit. I would laugh so hard if Trina really is Taggert's (which is how it should be, Show!).

5 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

I liked the cuteness between Spencer and Trina.  I felt the connection today for the first time since Taiyana replaced Sydney.

They still do nothing for me. Trina mocks Spencer's love of ginger snaps? That's just mean. Ginger snaps are delicious!

Today was pretty soapy, snoozy Alexis/Gregory scenes aside.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
14 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I would laugh so hard if Trina really is Taggert's (which is how it should be, Show!).

Saw a rumor (just a rumor, not a spoiler) that's where they're going.  Because these writers love to recycle and we just had the Finn/Jackie/Gregory/Chase thing, so time for another one.  (which in this case would be fine, even though I'm accusing them of recycling!!)

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
27 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

They still do nothing for me. Trina mocks Spencer's love of ginger snaps? That's just mean. Ginger snaps are delicious!

I mean seriously. Ginger snaps are delicious and despite getting her life blown up with the news that Curtis may be her dad, that doesn't get a pass with me for cookie shaming.

Honestly, this was a great day in sweeps. The other soaps were dud in comparison today.

Cassadine Island with Ryan, Heather, Ava, Felicia, Esme and knocked out Austin? Great acting, suspense, in character behavior, and soap history tied in a nice bow.

Trina and Spencer? Excellent bonding as Trina finally went up her tiptoes and kissed Spencer. And then a delighted Spencer kissed her back. In the place that they first met. I also appreciate that they were both dressed up for the wedding, so that they looked extra pretty for the kiss.

Mac, Laura, Kevin, and inept Jordan? Moved the story along, got Kevin involved and informed about his connections on the island, Laura solving mysteries and showing Jordan how to do her job.

Alexis and Gregory? I got a vibe from him. If I didn't know any better I would say he was the Hook and he sent the letter to Alexis on his old-time typewriter as their was distinct type from the letter. Although none of the dead victims has caused any harmed to his, so this is just my suspcious nature. The scene would have worked if Alexis actually spoke to Sam and found out about Esme being Ryan's.

Portia and Curtis? Eh, at least the secret is out and we don't have to have any more scenes of Portia worrying about the secret coming out and hopefully this kills Curtis baby rabies for the moment.

Edited by nilyank
Because RoHo has too many characters on this show to remember the right name
  • Like 4
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Maybe that will bring him and Ava closer together, heh.

They can share the same plastic surgeon!

2 minutes ago, nilyank said:

Cassadine Island with Ryan, Heather, Ava, Felicia, Esme and knocked out Mason?

You meant Austin?!!  Because if it was Mason, I would tell everyone in the room to hit him over the head a bunch of times with the hook, the fire poker, the goblin doodad that Ava used to knock out Nik.  You know, anything that will do the job.  

• Like 2
  • LOL 10
6 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

They can share the same plastic surgeon!

You meant Austin?!!  Because if it was Mason, I would tell everyone in the room to hit him over the head a bunch of times with the hook, the fire poker, the goblin doodad that Ava used to knock out Nik.  You know, anything that will do the job.  

Omg I totally thought RoHo's latest character's name was Mason. That is actually a cooler soap name for me from my watching Santa Barbara days.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, jacourt said:

How can Maggie be the hook when she has not been in the country?

Maggie is not the hook. We saw Alexis call the warden after Gregory left her office, so I assume that she was able to find evidence linking either Ryan or Heather to a type writer 

• Useful 1

I think I’m about done with this show.  I mean, I guess it’s good for Roger Howarth.  He gets a check for doing nothing.  But for people who want to see him — this is terrible.  I haven’t seen the show, but Austin is willing to hide a body for Ava but she’s willing to leave him for dead.  He should be running his mouth to the cops if he survives.

And certain fanbases are annoying.  They’re already saying dumb stuff about that kiss.  Talking about “the world needs this”.  No.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1

Well, that's a rotten wedding night, for sure! Hopefully, once Curtis cools down a bit and recognizes that he has also being deceptive, especially to his intended wife, he'll come back and they can have an honest talk.

Cute scene with Trina and Spencer. 

Was the hook poisoned this time? When the rescue arrives for Felicia and Ava, will they find Nik's body (assuming he's actually dead)? This will keep the (nonexistent?) Port Charles CSI busy. 

Are they saying that Heather has been the Hook all along? 

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, nilyank said:

Maggie is not the hook. We saw Alexis call the warden after Gregory left her office, so I assume that she was able to find evidence linking either Ryan or Heather to a type writer 

Which is kind of anticlimactic when they have Alexis rushing over to spill that news to Laura. I still don’t buy Heather was the Hook from day one.

But another good day! Really enjoyed the Spencer/Trina moments and finally a kiss. They’re sweet right now and I hope the show can keep that up without it getting boring. I like them bonding over parental betrayal and Spencer talking a moment to recognize Portia must be going through hell. It was a more mature moment for him. 

Brooke Kerr was still selling Portia’s despair but she was getting nothing from her scene partner, not even shock really. Those scenes fell flat mostly because of him. I guess he’s off to yell at Jordan, I’m sure he will try to interrupt her rescue mission because that’s more important. 

Wyndamere was good soap too - I guess now that Nik is dead Ava is going to throw all her resentment at Ryan for pimping Esme out? But the Ryan/Ava scenes are so good I don’t even mind. And Avery Pohl continues to be great as a horrified Esme. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

This Hook storyline only tells me that the writers had no plan for it and were flying by the seam of their pants, per usual. We went from Heather killing someone to deflect from Esme to her being the Hooker. She sure has been active with these murders and typing up a letter, mailing it out. Was she wearing an invisibility cloak or something?

That said, the stuff at Wyndemere has been pretty good from the second Ryan showed up on that doorstep.

Ryan unhinged, telling Esme how she and her baby are his. Girl, run, even if you're giving birth. Just run.

I'm over this whole Portia/Curtis business. At least he's not yelling, I guess? I'm pretty sure his dumb ass will go after Jordan, though. I hope she gets over him quick whenever he confronts her. I don't know what's so special about Curtis that Portia was hung up on him for 20 years and Jordan is still in love with him. You're hot, move on! Get yours! Something, anything, Bueller?!?

The actor is nice to look at, but not much of an actor. He always uses the same flat monotone tone of voice for everything. He rarely shows emotion in his delivery. 

I don't know why Gregory is still on the show. Another character they don't know what to do with.

I felt like I was watching something out of Disney (which yes, ABC) with Spencer and Trina kissing with that music in the background and her getting on her tippy toes.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, DanaK said:

When did Kevin and company learn that Esme was Ryan’s daughter? Did the Maggie the barmaid tell Sam an episode or two ago?

Yes Maggie told Dante and Sam on Friday, Dante phoned Jordan and Jordan told Laura (technically why is the mayor getting involved in this???  but in this case Laura is 100x smarter than Jordan)

Edited by Blackie
eta
  • Like 5
3 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Yes Maggie told Dante and Sam on Friday, Dante phoned Jordan and Jordan told Laura (technically why is the mayor getting involved in this???  but in this case Laura is 100x smarter than Jordan)

And Alexis too since she apparently figured out who the Hook is while Jordan is still twirling her thumbs. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

Also amnesia or not, Esme was pretty smart and figured to run and haul ass the second the two serial killers calling themselves her parents were distracted.

I also find it hilarious that Wyndemere which has always described as a castle doesn't require more than a servant or two to manage its upkeep. There is no reason why there are not any servants around even if Ava gave them the night off. Presumably there should be live-in servants.

• Like 7
19 hours ago, BunnyFooFoo said:

I just hope they don't have her get over it in 15 minutes, like Willow forgiving Carly

Well, Carly was forgiven in 15 seconds so Trina taking 15 minutes would at least be longer. 😉

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 6
1 hour ago, nilyank said:

Also amnesia or not, Esme was pretty smart and figured to run and haul ass the second the two serial killers calling themselves her parents were distracted.

IDK, I think the stabbing of the guard alone would have convinced me to escape as soon as I could.  Amnesia or not, she doesn't want to add to her charges.  Guilty by association?

Edited by ciarra
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, racked said:

I still don’t buy Heather was the Hook from day one.

And weird that Ava didn't say anything when Heather admitted it, like why the hell was I a victim?  It's almost like everyone involved forgot that Ava was the first one stabbed.  

1 hour ago, racked said:

They’re sweet right now

I thought it was cute when he said at least Portia isn't Nik and Trina said, that was a low bar to clear and Spencer, said, well at least she cleared it.  It sounded like an ad lib because they were both laughing and joking around.  

• Like 14

Portia and Curtis were a drag on an otherwise solid episode. The retcon of Heather as the hook all along was bs but I've been expecting it. Everyone brought their A game to Wyndemere and AP is holding her own/isn't getting lost amongst the vets. JL keeps knocking it out of the park. 

What's RoHo's status? Could Austin be dead? 

Laura may as well be police comminish. I wonder if Felecia and Ava will have to end up saying Esme didn't appear to be there willingly. 

Spencer and Trina finally kissed.  Though on this show I'm always worried sooner rather than later they'll feel a need to give either Trina or Joss a baby and Sprina is the more popular pairings. 

26 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

And weird that Ava didn't say anything when Heather admitted it, like why the hell was I a victim?  It's almost like everyone involved forgot that Ava was the first one stabbed.  

Yeah Ava's non reaction was some bullshit.

Edited by Gigi43
2 hours ago, jacourt said:

How can Maggie be the hook when she has not been in the country?

I'm waiting for the revelation that Ireland is a ferry ride away in Lake Ontario. Or maybe not, because that would make Lucky's neglect of his children even more egregious. 

• LOL 9
2 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Well, that's a rotten wedding night, for sure! Hopefully, once Curtis cools down a bit and recognizes that he has also being deceptive, especially to his intended wife, he'll come back and they can have an honest talk.

Actually, his second wedding night is still better than his first in my opinion - no dead bodies!  When he and Jordan got married on the Haunted Star, they (after the vows were concluded) found Kiki's body in the bed! Ryan had killed her and left her body in there.  The Ashfords' wedding was definitely overshadowed by Ava having a breakdown over her daughter's corpse in front of all the wedding guests.

• Like 5
  • LOL 4
1 hour ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Actually, his second wedding night is still better than his first in my opinion - no dead bodies!  When he and Jordan got married on the Haunted Star, they (after the vows were concluded) found Kiki's body in the bed! Ryan had killed her and left her body in there.  The Ashfords' wedding was definitely overshadowed by Ava having a breakdown over her daughter's corpse in front of all the wedding guests.

Oh my! I'm surprised he didn't want to opt for a courthouse wedding after that experience. I might even have decided to go to Vegas or Atlantic City. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Daisy said:

Man Curtis's "I need some air" had the same amount of energy as "I need to take a poo, brb." like. it's not even stunned. just. "Whatever. i'm mad at you. peace."

His Epcot greeter vibe remains steady!

• LOL 4

So, if there are tunnels from the mainland, why didn't they use them in the past crises?  St. Jasus had to take a speedboat.  Wasn't Emily murdered and sat around rotting for days due to a storm?  Why didn't Nik just use a golf cart to get to the pier instead of the launch?

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

Is it just me or was Sam and Dante’s weeklong investigation rather pointless? Yeah they found out about Ryan and told Jordan but seems like it would have come out at the same time regardless and Maggie doesn’t appear to have anything to do with anything. Alexis managed to figure out who the killer was without hearing back from the them and the PCPD has been as inept as ever

• Like 8

Sam, Dante, Laura and Alexis are all better at investigating than Jordan.  I won't even mind Curtis being mad at her because she'll deserve it for not doing her actual job and instead rather runaround about Trina paternity which would serve her right if she's Taggerts. 

Kevin's s reaction to Esme being his neice was great. 

• Like 3

Mac told Laura he understood her worry as Esme was carrying her grandchild. I forgot about Nic being the father in that moment, but isn’t the child also her grandniece? I suppose if Spencer had been the father, the child would have been her great grandchild. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
11 hours ago, Gigi43 said:

What's RoHo's status? Could Austin be dead? 

I don't know anything, and the current regime has been good at keeping departures under wraps (unless an actor dismissal was big news in special circumstances), but Howarth's Franco character bit it in early March 2021. Two years left on the contract at that time, maybe? 

8 hours ago, ffwbe said:

Is it just me or was Sam and Dante’s weeklong investigation rather pointless?

"Rather pointless" is a good way to sum up all things Dante and Sam.

I don't mind them, but they always have seemed like "long-term parking" to me, because neither of them has a better possibility in town at the moment. I mean that's how I believe the writers feel about them, not the way the characters feel about each other. 

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Like 4
  • LOL 1
10 hours ago, ffwbe said:

Is it just me or was Sam and Dante’s weeklong investigation rather pointless? Yeah they found out about Ryan and told Jordan but seems like it would have come out at the same time regardless and Maggie doesn’t appear to have anything to do with anything. Alexis managed to figure out who the killer was without hearing back from the them and the PCPD has been as inept as ever

Sam and Dante's investigation was meaningless because the audience has known for a while that Ryan is Esme's father. And we know that Heather is her mother, which the characters don't know yet. We just want this plot to move along. 

The writers wrote the investigation this late to surprise and shock the characters, not the audience and they dragged the hell out of it. Sam started looking for Maggie months ago and that went nowhere until they decided to dust off the whole thing.

Write to surprise both the audience and the characters. Once the reveals happen to the audience, the interest drops exponentially.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, DanaK said:

I forgot about Nic being the father in that moment, but isn’t the child also her grandniece?

Yes. Thank you, GH writers' complete inability to make anyone not related to anyone else. And that can always change, depending on their whims!

• Like 2
11 hours ago, DanaK said:

I forgot about Nic being the father in that moment, but isn’t the child also her grandniece?

LOL, well yes, but given she just found that out I think grandchild trumps step great niece.  

Though this does bring up the point of Kevin/Esme forming a familial bond.

44 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Thank you, GH writers' complete inability to make anyone not related to anyone else.

At least there's no relation to Sonny or Carly.  

Yet.

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

Paint drying has nothing on Sam and Dante. However, Alexis and Greg are even more boring than being stuck in Discount Tire's waiting room and they only have 2 of the exact same Sunset magazines to read and you forgot your phone. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 10
1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

Paint drying has nothing on Sam and Dante. However, Alexis and Greg are even more boring than being stuck in Discount Tire's waiting room and they only have 2 of the exact same Sunset magazines to read and you forgot your phone. 

I have no idea what they’re doing with those 2 and I hate when they have characters on mainly to recap something  we are currently watching. You can tell that the writers are being lazy and are trying to use up time with those scenes as well as use up actor’s guarantees. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Cheyanne11 said:

At least there's no relation to Sonny or Carly.  

Yet.

Unduly optimistic. If the baby is Laura's grandniece by marriage, he/she/they are Sonny's niece/nephew by marriage through Courtney i.e. the half-sibling of Sonny's nephew Spencer.

• Mind Blown 3
  • LOL 1

Spenser was so sweet to Trina.

Is Ryan going to take the baby and leave everyone else behind?

Heather's been killing people right and left.  Why so hesitant to off Ava and/or Felicia?

It's really too bad they never got around to moving that body.  Also too bad this jail break didn't happen that same night.  Ava could have pinned it on Ryan or Heather.  

Edited by Katy M
  • Like 10

It sure took a long time for them to give Austin some help. In the end, he was useless throughout the whole upheaval, and “Nik’s body” is still rotting away, but apparently not smelling.

Ava!! Don’t tell the bad man that you’re a murderer unless you kill him QUICKLY! It looks like you ran out of bullets - no sound came out. Sheesh, girl.

I feel bad for the actress playing Trina who had to spend all those days in that tight fitting dress. It reminded me of a very uncomfortable bridesmaid dress I was forced to wear eons ago.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

"Oh my god. You're not just crazy, you're delusional." True Esmè, but he's so much fun to watch right now, stroking Esmè's shoulder as she looks on horrified.  JL and AM are killing it today.

Ava" "Did you lose something?" Ryan: "Yes, my daughter."  Ava: "Then tell me how it feels."

Speaking of killing it, I hope Ava doesn't kill Ryan. As JL plays him, he's too much fun to kill off.

For all that Hatman can be very annoying, the scenes with Curtis today are the best I've seen Curtis. RG raises DT.

:Go one and let it hurt. But then you got to go on and let it heal."  The writing on the show today was really good.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, Desperado said:

It sure took a long time for them to give Austin some help

I thought I had missed a scene when all of a sudden Mac and Jordan were in the room. I guess I must have ff too much because I didn't see how they got Heather in handcuffs. But still Austin was sitting there bleeding and Jordan casually asks "what happened to you" lol! Shouldn't they be more worried that there was poison ont the hook. They just saw how fast Britt died.

17 minutes ago, Desperado said:

I feel bad for the actress playing Trina who had to spend all those days in that tight fitting dress

I was thinking the same of Portia in that super tight bridal gown. If I had to get into a big drama, I'd want to  get into some comfy clothes. At least Ava didn't have to hunt down Ryan in her purple shiny monstrosity,

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Spenser was so sweet to Trina.

Is Ryan going to take the baby and leave everyone else behind?

Heather's been killing people right and left.  Why so hesitant to off Ava and/or Felicia?

Same for today. Spencer demonstrates how much he has grown as a person and how much he is in love with Trina, by not wanting their first time together to be in an empty art gallery while she's hurting from the confrontation with her mother. 

No, he told Ava "we" and Esme and the baby are going on the run to be a family. I think he intended to leave Heather behind.  

Heather's mad/jealous that Ryan's decision to go to Wydemere for Ava has derailed her plans, so she figures Ava with a gun will get revenge on Ryan for both of them. Plus I think she figures Ava going after Ryan will keep Ryan from leaving with Esme and without her.

Ava and Ryan facing off while she has a gun on him is the very best kind of soap
drama. These two vets are awesome together. Her eyes going wide with shock and the truth hitting her as he said "my grandchild" JL's line delivery of "You shot me!!" (tone: how could you??) was hilarious. - Spencer's WTF?? wide-eyed reaction when Alexis said "her biological parents" was almost as good.

Jordan should just resign and leave police business up to Mac and Laura to handle since they are 1,000x smarter than she is.

(Curtis was on and whining, but did not express one word of concern for Trina, of course.)

• Like 10
  • Applause 2

Ryan confirmed to Ava that he got Esme to befriend and seduce Spencer as part of his long term plan. I was sure I heard Ryan and Esme talk about that early on, but Esme’s story has gone on so long and meandered around so much that I wasn’t sure that that plot point hadn’t been retconned

Also, I found it hilarious how Esme kept running off. That’s one smart girl

Edited by DanaK
  • Like 9