Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

Today's winning line goes to Trina "You're my friend Joss but sometimes you have to step outside of yourself."

I disagree with Joss that voting is a right and a privilege. Like Trina implied, I think it's a responsibility.

I appreciate the sentiment but I stopped listening to Carly halfway through because it was so fake. Britt, Ava and Obrecht were such cartoon villains. The 2020 women who believe that you should let your husband make the decisions for you I find much scarier.

I agree with @YaddaYadda that Molly should have been in this episode. But I guess that would have taken some of the attention off Joss.

They got right that there were black women doctors then though.

Entitled Carly ("You know I'll be out of here in a few hours so let me out now") is better described as a suffragette than a suffragist

Suffragists

Those involved in the first wave of the campaign for women’s votes are known as suffragists. Suffragists believed in peaceful, constitutional campaign methods. In the early 20th century, after the suffragists failed to make significant progress, a new generation of activists emerged. These women became known as the suffragettes, and they were willing to take direct, militant action for the cause.

Suffragettes

Suffragettes were members of women's organisations in the late-19th and early-20th centuries who, under the banner "Votes for Women," fought for women's suffrage, the right to vote in public elections.The term suffragette refers in particular to members of the British Women's Social and Political Union (WSPU), a women-only movement founded in 1903 by Emmeline Pankhurst, which engaged in direct action and civil disobedience.

How is it that Joss is registered? Did Carly send in the paperwork for her?

3 hours ago, Blackie said:

I am also used to corny CBC period dramas (sorry fans of Murdock Mysteries)

The CBC period dramas don't use modern colloquial speech. (Also I thought that Murdoch did women's votes very well.)

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

s better described as a suffragette than a suffragist

Thanks for the info, I just thought Bobbie was was pronouncing suffragette wrong. (due to all the botox) I have never heard the word suffragist so I learned something today 🙂 I am more familiar with Nellie McLung ect of the Canadian suffragette movement.

At that time were black women allowed to vote in New York State?  I thought that came later, but maybe I am thinking of Indigenous people

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Blackie said:

But then I am Canadian so it seemed like a 1 hour version of one of our Heritage Minutes ! and I am also used to corny CBC period dramas (sorry fans of Murdock Mysteries)

You leave the CBC period dramas alone!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Why does Lucy know about the Time candle? On account of her general woo-woo-ness or did she time travel at some point?

Oooh, was that a "Port Charles" reference?!?!  There was that whole thing in the "Superstition" arc with Alison's stupid candles, though I don't think any of them caused time travel.

• Love 1

That was just godawful.

MiniShebeast couldn't have acted more like the entitled rich brat/White Privilege if she tried. Of course she doesn't care that it's Election Day, because her vote won't matter. Like this twerp is affected by anything. And since Frank decided to bring voting and election day into the show, just where has her head been buried the past four years? Okay, forget four. The past two years?

Teenagers everywhere have become very active. But Trina called it. Herself has been just living her life in her own little Bubble. Did she sleep through history class that she didn't know any of this until her trip back in time provided the information?

At least Trina was more aware, knew the history and what a responsibility it is--voting.

This Blank-Dead-Eyed twerp can just go away now. My eyes rolled so hard in every one of her scenes.

I would have enjoyed it a lot more had she not been show cased.

6 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Oooh, was that a "Port Charles" reference?!?!  There was that whole thing in the "Superstition" arc with Alison's stupid candles, though I don't think any of them caused time travel.

Well that box Lucy had on the table had "Barrington" written on it.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Well that box Lucy had on the table had "Barrington" written on it.

Ooooh, love it!

Hey, maybe Carly bought a truckload of the candle that turned Livvie into a mega bitch.  That would explain a lot...

3 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

And was the bitchiness needed at the end of the show when Britt was going in to vote? 

Yeah, what a weird sour note that they could have skipped given the theme of the episode.  And it's not like Britt fired the first shot, Liz just started Regina George-ing unprovoked with Portia and Terry as backup.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

It was definitely about Alison's candles. I am almost certain but not really that the TIME candle was used when Frank went back in time and met Karen's mom in the 70s.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, nilyank said:

It was definitely about Alison's candles. I am almost certain but not really that the TIME candle was used when Frank went back in time and met Karen's mom in the 70s.

Oh right, Frank and Karen time traveling!  But wasn't that some old timey computer?

There was a candle that, like, sucked Kevin into another dimension or something.

I just love that they referenced "Port Charles"!

• Love 3

Perfect Princess Starr Joss really sucks, you guys.  Holy hell with the "You do coat drives and volunteer and you and Oscar threw a dance for your transgender friend we saw on-screen once and I don't think had a name!" UGH.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Perfect Princess Starr Joss really sucks, you guys.  Holy hell with the "You do coat drives and volunteer and you and Oscar threw a dance for your transgender friend we saw on-screen once and I don't think had a name!" UGH.

EXACTLY! She's just one of those who pays lip service to fighting for others' rights. When her mother said that, instead of her pausing to respond, she just gave a bratty couldn't care less shrug. I'm beginning to loathe her as much as I do her mother.

Not to get too off topic, but I had turned 18 the February before the November Election, and I remember being so excited at being able to vote--have a say--that year. And I did my...due diligence. Joss just Sucks ASS. The audience knew, by watching Trina, that Trina did her due diligence! The show should have focused on HER.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 3

Clipboard01.jpg

ETA...I'm over on YT watching and an early episode of the arc opens with Lucy in a room with Kevin, her current husband, and Scotty, her former husband, both of whom slept with the woman whose funeral they're all about to go to. #soaps

Serena's also there and asks where Christina is and Lucy says Maxie is babysitting her.

Edited by TeeVee329

I thought the voting special was fine enough. A timely message for some pretty turbulent times, even if it was a little "hammer on the head". I did love them acknowledging the intersectionality when it came to women of color. And another thing I liked was Maura West and Sydney Mikayla (Trina) opposite each other. I think Trina brings out a side of Ava we don't often get to see highlighted, and I liked how that was paralleled in the time travel story.

• Love 8
On 10/28/2020 at 9:04 PM, Auntie Velvet said:

On the opposite end of that spectrum: Of course Michael did his trademark "Boobies" expression when Willow disrobed during his fantasy.

In all fairness to Mikey, that's pretty much the same expression I have whenever Boobies make an appearance.😉

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I would have enjoyed it a lot more had she not been show cased.

THIS. IMO this history lesson would have been much more meaningful if it was focused on Lesley, Laura, Lulu and Charlotte with the family history in Port Charles.  Newspapers publish event and especially Election Day-focused reporting all the time. It would have been easy to have reporter Lulu working on/finishing an in-depth "Votes for Women" commemorative article, gaining some historical insights from her mother and grandmother, and educating her elementary school-age daughter on why this matters so much. Joss could still have had a moment to be highlighted as she votes, with Lulu telling Charlotte how special it is that this year cousin Josslyn gets to vote, as they see her upon arriving to vote.  Charlotte represents the future generation of female voters in their family. 

The problem to me wasn't just Joss, it was that Joss and Carly had to be the stars in a storyline that doesn't fit for their family, and the actresses don't have the acting chops to pull off an important storyline in a way that can make an impact. ( Spare me Carly lecturing a bunch of Port Charles women, btw.) Bobbie was a teenager prostitute (thanks to her aunt) with no parents, not a woman raised by her mother to be an empowered female. Bobbie didn't raise Carly to be an empowered female; she didn't raise Carly at all. The "power" Carly has is due to the marriages she's had and the money she's gained as a result. Carly is raising a bratty child who is the definition of entitled, and white privilege.

I liked the concept of the episode. I really liked Alexis and Monica's parts in it.

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

The problem to me wasn't just Joss, it was that Joss and Carly had to be the stars in a storyline that doesn't fit for their family, and the actresses don't have the acting chops to pull off an important storyline in a way that can make an impact. ( Spare me Carly lecturing a bunch of Port Charles women, btw.) Bobbie was a teenager prostitute (thanks to her aunt) with no parents, not a woman raised by her mother to be an empowered female. Bobbie didn't raise Carly to be an empowered female; she didn't raise Carly at all. The "power" Carly has is due to the marriages she's had and the money she's gained as a result. Carly is raising a bratty child who is the definition of entitled, and white privilege.

THIS!!! So much this! You've encapsulated what I was struggling to try and put into words. And then Bobbie's line about how Joss is so "disenfranchised" had me rolling my eyes so hard. Disenfranchised by what? She's a rich, white, bratty girl. And I'm supposed to believe that SheBeast, who relishes being a mob moll, gives any shits about women's rights, who runs the country, etc., since none of it affects her or her spawn?

If Frank could have taken his ASS out of Maurice and Laura's asses, and actually had his writers have Laura, Lesley, and Lulu spearheading this episode, it would be so much more believable. But nope. We can't have that. And no matter how many times Laura said "my dear", she just wasn't believable as a suffragist.

• Love 7

So let me get this straight: Carly and Bobbie think it's VITAL AND IMPORTANT for Joss to vote, but they didn't say a word to her about this prior to her birthday/election day?  Ok, show, ok. 

Also the whole "yeah, but my vote won't count" was acted out by EM in a very After School Special way.  She's not as good an actress as the writers/showrunners seem intent on telling us she is. 

ETA: "Ava always says rude and ignorant things--even here."  Oh, do fuck off, Josslyn. 

Edited by Cheyanne11
  • Love 8
43 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

So let me get this straight: Carly and Bobbie think it's VITAL AND IMPORTANT for Joss to vote, but they didn't say a word to her about this prior to her birthday/election day?  Ok, show, ok.

I'm fine with that. I don't need GH to get into that sort of thing. What it does get into is done badly enough. I'm more than fine with this being a one-off civics lesson that left me unconscious from its heavy-handedness. But that's better than being left unconscious by the heavy-handedness of everyone telling me what a great guy Sonny is.

@TeeVee329, you changed your avatar!

• Love 4

I don't know. I liked the pretty clothes and that shows was entirely featured by  only women in front of the cameras and behind the scenes.

MW's hairstyle as ADA was 100 times better than Ava's hair.

I didn't mind the voting lesson because I do think it is a good thing for everyone who can vote to be encouraged to vote.

Like GHScorpiosRule, I cheered Trina's shade on Jordan who is not only incompetent, ineffective and corrupt but she make Curtis boring,

• Love 4
7 hours ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

Okay, this might be a silly nitpick, but if Joss turned 18 on election day, she wouldn't be able to vote in this election. She would have to have registered by October 5th when she was still 17 and ineligible to register.

I registered to vote when I was 17.  It was a drive for seniors at my high school.  As long as your are 18 on election day it wasn't an issue.  This was 2000 in Florida.

4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Oh! I forgot to add that I LOVED Trina's shade at Jordan about voting down to the local level--like for police commissioner.

Me: Oh, SNAP!!!!

I LOVE Trina!

I know a lot of people here don't like Jordan, but I don't mind her too much. I like Trina overall, but her attitude with Jordan and Curtis has gotten beyond old. Her mother should try and teach her about respecting her elders. And, at this point, I'm going to kind of enjoy the egg on Trina's face when she finds out that, while Jordan left out her role in their plot, she didn't lie about what Taggert did.

On the one hand, I can salute the show trying to teach an important lesson (and there were a couple of things I learned) and it was kind of cool that this episode only featured women, it was so heavy-handed I think there are producers of 80's after-school specials cringing while watching it. I agree with others they could have had more fun with it and instead of Ava, Britt, Obrecht being villains they could have used other characters in those roles. As soon as they mentioned that there were women in the 20's who were their adversaries, I had a feeling they would have Ava play one of those roles. The only thing I enjoyed was that they had her turn a corner and that they focused so much on Ava and Trina's relationship. I love their current friendship. Even though I know it was a fantasy, I thought it was ridiculous that Ada would have her head suddenly turned because of one conversation with a teenager, but the chemistry with the actresses somewhat made up for it.

• Love 2

I too enjoyed the Vote episode, though like others, I wish they had turned the tables a bit on who was a hero and villain. We did get Ava and Obrecht’s vote characters voting though. I also appreciate that Carly’s vote character expressed that she didn’t care how a woman voted, just that she did. I appreciate as well that the episode was only women in front and behind the camera and that we got the Black perspective as well from Trina and “Portia”. Wikipedia says at least 75% of Black women didn’t get to exercise their right to vote at the time because of their state constitutions (their White sisters threw them under the bus to get the vote) and Asian and Indigenous women weren’t allowed the right to vote until later. And of course Blacks had to wait until the 1960s to be allowed to vote in the South. 

For the most part, it sounded like they got the pattern of speech and words right for the era, though I did notice Portia’s vote character used People (or Women) of Color at one point

• Love 4

The previous time GH did a whimsical 1920s episode, about 18 years ago, Nancy Lee Grahn also got assigned the role of a temperance advocate. Anyone else remember that? It was in the era of the Tamara Braun Carly, and we were getting a flashback to the youth of Faith's grandmother (who was played at that age by Braun) and her relationship with a Sonny equivalent. It was very Pratt/Guza, in that Carly got to be the sexy heroine at the center, and Alexis had little walk-on bits as a tiresome killjoy/scold.

I thought this episode vacillated between kind of cute and awful. Most of the women weren't very convincing in the period, Kelly Thiebaud being the worst offender. Maura West gave the best performance, and Becky Herbst looked right. Too much of a Laura Wright showcase.  

I did like that past-life-Portia said, "Bogus! Yes!" It's a word that a modern young person would use but that would register with someone of that time. But when she referred to "people of color," that struck me as anachronistic. 

When Josslyn said, re: 1920, that voting really made a difference then, I kind of smirked given the way that election turned out. The machine-backed provincial nonentity Harding won by a landslide, and his administration was one of the most corrupt in history. Men and women alike had to take the shame for that.

I rarely love this kind of detour episode; I don't think GH does them well. I remember the legendarily awful 7th Heaven episode about the importance of voting, which ran the year of the Bush/Kerry election, although they didn't use names. All the political arguments among the family members and their friends referred to "our President" and "the other guy." As usual with the later years of that show, nothing anyone said sounded like the way human beings talk. But that had more laughs in it.

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

Too much of a Laura Wright showcase.  

There's always too much of a Laura Wright showcase. I appreciate the effort the show makes in wanting to do a different episode once a year or so, but she's always center stage. Her and her talentless, uncharismatic, on screen daughter.

• Love 18
11 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

@TeeVee329, you changed your avatar!

Sure did.  I look forward to Amanda Setton making another classic soap bitch face when she returns, but for now, I'll let Britt's opening credits bangs fill in as my scheme-y brunette avatar.

Edited by TeeVee329

You know . . . I've never been a huge Julian fan, but the way they write him is so bad, esp. in comparison to Sonny. It's really sickening. Would they ever show Sonny begging Courtney to disrupt her life to get him out of a jam of his own making?!?! No, they write Sonny like a man so why can't they do the same w/Julian?!? Why does Julian have to be written to be so incompetent? He used to be a mobster too, but you wouldn't know it! As Ava said, why can't Julian fend for himself and fix his own problems? I just hate how fearful he is of Sonny. It's not necessary. I wish he were more of a threat on his own or at least an equal match to Sonny! Ugh . . . . .  

In all honesty, I haven't paid much attn to Peter in the past. I don't watch him and Maxie and don't care about him, in general, but I hated his threats today. I just wish Spinelli had threatened him back or told him to do his worse. I haven't really been on the "Peter needs to die" train, but I'm on it now. He just needs to go. The character is going nowhere fast! But first he needs to be rejected - hard - by Maxie and Anna. I don't care what happens to him after that point. 

So, I'm not surprised that Franco is very worried about becoming a serial killer again. I wonder what he plans to do. I've read spoilers on who he next visits, so that should be an interesting conversation. 

Why didn't Valentin just open the door? LOL! 

Edited by lala2
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, lala2 said:

Why didn't Valentin just open the door?

Right???!!  He already suspected that "Anna" wasnt' Anna based on what Alex said about "her son".  Open the freakin' door and get down there.  Also, why was Anna so helpless.  She managed to remove her hand ties and her gag to yell out, then all she's doing is saying "I'm down here".  Um, your hands are untied, untie your feet and haul ass upstairs.  

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, lala2 said:

In all honesty, I haven't paid much attn to Peter in the past. I don't watch him and Maxie and don't care about him, in general, but I hated his threats to today. I just wish Spinelli had threatened him back or told him to do his worse. I haven't really been on the "Peter needs to die" train, but I'm on it now. He just needs to go. But first he needs to be rejected - hard - by Maxie and Anna. I don't care what happens to him after that point. 

As much as I dislike Peter, I kind of enjoyed him threatening Spinelli today because Bradford Anderson did a nice job of looking like he believed the threat was real. (Add "saying something nice about BA/Spinelli" to the list of things I never thought I'd say.) But I assume Spinelli was smart enough to be recording the conversation and not as stupid as Michael to reveal his plan to his antagonist's face.

• Love 4

For all that yesterday's episode was so cheesy, today's was kind of boring. TJ has joined the idiot crew by talking anti-Cyrus in the middle of a hospital that he's the chairman of the board in. Also TJ, it's not  public hospital so the public has no stake in it if you don't like the chairman. Apparently it doesn't even have a nurses' union or Liz would be grieving.

It's boring that the only anti-Cyrus decisions are firing Bobbie and Monica (with cause) and bumping Pip to management and cutting Liz's hours. Come on, writers, think up some other bad management decisions that he's making to justify TJ's and Portia's ire.

The Alex/Valentin scenes were fun. Kudos to both actors.

Valentin tells Peter not to confront Spinelli because Jason will kill him. So Peter confronts Spinelli first chance he gets. Not a genius, is he?

Kevin is a painter? Why did I not know this?

Just end it with Julian already. I'm suffering along the cat and mouse game too. Also, if Sonny takes revenge on Julian even now after Michael has Wylie, it portrays Sonny as a sociopath who hurts because he enjoys hurting others.

17 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Bobbie didn't raise Carly to be an empowered female; she didn't raise Carly at all. The "power" Carly has is due to the marriages she's had and the money she's gained as a result. Carly is raising a bratty child who is the definition of entitled, and white privilege.

Which I could accept if it were portrayed as Joss is an entitled, blinkered, privileged child. But she's presented as the heroine not only of her own story but the show as well.

22 hours ago, Blackie said:

Thanks for the info, I just thought Bobbie was was pronouncing suffragette wrong. (due to all the botox) I have never heard the word suffragist so I learned something today 🙂 I am more familiar with Nellie McLung ect of the Canadian suffragette movement.

I had never heard of a suffragist either so it was fun to look it up.

Manitoba gave women the vote in 1916. New Zealand beat us all, they gave women the federal vote in 1893.

I found it hilarious that Valentin was able to put together Spinelli's plan in a nano second.

Peter:  I got a phone call from Helena

Valentin; Uh yeah, my mother's dead, so it's likely Spineli, since I ran into his last night and he's a computer hacker and he probably figured out a way to modulate Helena's voice.  

So either Spin's plan wasn't that ingenious or Valentin is quite the smarty pants.  Of course he then lost bonus points at Casa Anna when he just stood in the hallway looking confused as Anna was calling out for help.  One step forward twelve steps back.

This thing with Ryan, I don't understand why Ava and/or Julian didn't go to Sonny and get ahead of it.  Even today, as she's talking to Sonny and trying to convince him to not pay Ryan a visit why not say something like "Ryan's making up stories that Julian knew things".  Then Ryan holds nothing over them.  Nelle's letter is a lie.  She was known for being a lying liar who lied.  It's not like their trying to discredit the letter from someone who isn't known as the town liar (I was trying hard to think of someone squeaky clean, and all I could come up with was Portia.  And maybe Terri!!)

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

(I was trying hard to think of someone squeaky clean, and all I could come up with was Portia.  And maybe Terri!!)

Molly if we discount her Brando incident?  Georgie if she wasn't dead? Does it have to be female?  Mac?

Nelle might be a lying liar who lies, but Julian is Julian. He's always going to be the highest on the list of people not to believe. He's Julian! And Ava isn't the most reliable of people, either.

Jordan sucks for refusing TJ's permit just because it doesn't suit her being Cyrus's toadie.

1 hour ago, perkie1968 said:

This thing with Ryan, I don't understand why Ava and/or Julian didn't go to Sonny and get ahead of it.  Even today, as she's talking to Sonny and trying to convince him to not pay Ryan a visit why not say something like "Ryan's making up stories that Julian knew things".  Then Ryan holds nothing over them.  Nelle's letter is a lie.  She was known for being a lying liar who lied.

Sure, but Julian married Nelle and everyone is convinced that it's because her nutter ass had something on him. So this stuff about Ava going to Sonny to not go to Ryan is like the worst thing she could have done. I skipped the show today, so I'm going out on a limb here, but I think Ava telling Sonny not to visit Ryan will peak Sonny's curiosity even more.

Julian has been everyone's punching bag for a long time. I think it's time to put him out of his misery and find someone else to take his place. It's so stupid how the writers are continuously stacking the deck against him. Even going legit has given him nothing but scorn. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Kevin is a painter? Why did I not know this?

It's been part of his character for a long time, IIRC.  There was definitely a plotline on "Port Charles" during my favorite arc, "Secrets", where Orbitz Girl Paige asked Kevin to paint her portrait to put in her ancestral home or something.

3 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

It's not like their trying to discredit the letter from someone who isn't known as the town liar (I was trying hard to think of someone squeaky clean, and all I could come up with was Portia.  And maybe Terri!!)

Lucas (who?) maybe?  I can't recall him really doing any lying.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
51 minutes ago, teenj12 said:

I actually like Valentin now. This is what this show has turned me into. xP

I've always liked him, but he's a lot more entertaining when he's not mooning over Nina.  Or scheming to keep Nina.  Or anything with Nina.  As a foible/WSB-esque cohort to Anna and taking no shit from the likes of Spinelli?  Highly enjoyable.

• Love 12

After watching Sonny threaten Ryan today and act like he is the one calling the shots, I am more Team Cryus/Julian/anti-Sonny than ever before. The only ones more tone-deaf than the mumbling mobster are the writers who think he can legit threaten a psychopath and not come across looking ridiculous. I know he will win in the end, but what I wouldn't give to see Cyrus, Julian, Ava, Nik, and somehow Valentin all teamed up to take down Sonny. Jordan can be outed in the process for all I care and Curtis can get himself someone who deserved his sexy self.

And yes, non-Nina-pining, sarcastic, no pulled punches Valentin is best Valentin. More of that, please.

• Love 8

FH looks like she's having more fun playing Alex than playing Anna. And really, who can blame her for that.

I will join the chorus of praise for Valentin. He's much better away from that albatross hanging around his neck. Nina is a void of suck.

• Love 9