Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

53 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

What a relief that Ava came clean to Sonny. It was also a relief that he was fairly sympathetic toward her dilemma. Of course he still yelled at her because he's Sonny, but he's not wrong that Ava should have come to him sooner.

I was actually surprised she came clean to Sonny all of a sudden, but it’s definitely a relief given how long this story has been going on

• Like 15
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, DanaK said:

I was actually surprised she came clean to Sonny all of a sudden, but it’s definitely a relief given how long this story has been going on

I’m just glad that the story is getting a bit of a nudge. I just hope that the other stories also get a nudge so that they don’t drag on. 

I really hope that Sonny requests a private interview with Betty (not a name I’d choose for someone her age) to scare the 💩 out of her, although my guess is that she will be the next body to be found once she is no longer any use to Mason. 

I’m not a big Sonny fan, but I really want him to figure out Gladys and Nina’s stuff and have him go full on explosion. Let’s finish these stories (and the Eddie Maine story) and start some new storylines. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 4
29 minutes ago, DanaK said:

I was actually surprised she came clean to Sonny all of a sudden,

Isn't it the scab writers writing now? Maybe they were as sick of it being drawn out as we are.

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

. But Portia was laying it on thick to try to distract Curtis,

I rolled my eyes through her speech that she arranged to be home every night to cook supper for Trina. Even if Portia was only working part time, as an internist  there would be days/night when she would have to be at the hospital on call.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Like you guys, I feel immense relief that Ava and Sonny are finally putting their heads together. I was sure the rest of the summer would be Betty being unbearable and Ava being at her mercy. I have to give it up for the writers and the Betty actor for making me desperate for her to be squashed after just one episode.

• Like 9
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Violet has her own phone to text?

She's 8 yrs old so not that young in today's world.  

3 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

How dare he not just blindly accept he'll never walk again a whole day after surgery and not spend all his time looking at wheelchair websites.

Ugh, Portia sucks.

The writing for Portia is all over the place.  The first day, seven minutes after surgery she was all "ITS OVER YOU'LL NEVER WALK AGAIN".  And then today she was all 'eh who knows shit happens".  If I was Curtis I would be all, pick a  lane lady.  

3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Loving Dante's permanent skepticism toward Dex.

I love Dante, but he was annoying me today.  Yes, Dex works for Sonny and is probalby doing shady stuff on a daily basis but he's not responsible for this guy's death so maybe do some detective work before you accuse him.

Also, did anyone else hear Bennett tell Dante that they were waiting for the autopsy results?  What autopsy?  You just found the guy five minutes ago, he hasn't had time to get to the morgue and be cleared for an autopsy.  does he even have any next of kin that needs to okay the autopsy?   

Also, I get that these are scab writers now, but have none of them ever written a couple on a date before?  Liz and finn had dialogue like they'd never been on a date before in their lives, much less have been living in each others' pockets for more than a year.  

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
2 hours ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

Betty (not a name I’d choose for someone her age)

I thought the same exact thing.

2 hours ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

I’m not a big Sonny fan, but I really want him to figure out Gladys and Nina’s stuff and have him go full on explosion. Let’s finish these stories (and the Eddie Maine story) and start some new storylines. 

Somehow I doubt this will happen, especially now with the strikes.  I can see these storylines lasting through to next spring/summer honestly.

1 hour ago, Auntie Velvet said:

I was sure the rest of the summer would be Betty being unbearable and Ava being at her mercy.

I thought so too, but I was enjoying them and kind of liked the idea of more Betty vs. Ava.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, rur said:

Remember, Luke* is "legally" dead (regardless of whether or not we believe it). In that case, Bobbie would become the sole owner.

If Luke inherited half from Ruby and he died without a will, then his half would be split between his wife (was he still married to Tracey when he died?) and his children. I guess we're supposed to just think Luke left it to Bobbie. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

She's 8 yrs old so not that young in today's world.  

The writing for Portia is all over the place.  The first day, seven minutes after surgery she was all "ITS OVER YOU'LL NEVER WALK AGAIN".  And then today she was all 'eh who knows shit happens".  If I was Curtis I would be all, pick a  lane lady.  

I agree Perkie1968!  Friday Portia and everyone else was so quick to say, "Curtis will never walk again" I was surprised how quick they came to that conclusion, and now she's much more ambivalent about the outcome.

She was getting on my nerves today but I get what she was trying to do.  I think she wanted to show Curtis she's down with him no matter what the outcome is.  But once again, Portia, slow your roll!  Give Curtis a chance to accept what has happened to him before you start proclaiming how you're gonna cut back on your hours and you're gonna start cooking again and youre gonna have the house remodeled.  Yeesh!

On a vain note, I love the color of that dress on her.

Edited by Jenxee
  • Like 2

I caught myself smiling while watching this episode.  Was the dialogue...dumb?  Yeah, but I still got a kick out of seeing couples flirt and enjoy themselves.  I would love this to be a new direction, more couples smiling and flirting and enjoying each other's company.  That way when the inevitable obstacle pops up, I'll feel more invested in the outcome of the story.

I remember when Brooklynn and Chase first interacted.  I loved their chemistry; first how she reacted to being arrested, then over time them forming a friendship, long before the whole Bailey/Louise story.  Once Brooklynn started hiding stuff from Chase the whole dynamic changed and became lopsided in favor of Chase.  At times Chase acted like he hated her.  So once they finally got back together, it wasn't that believable (to me).  But today's ep was a nice step in the right direction for them.  I can buy them falling in love IF they keep having scenes like this.

I also liked Finn and Liz's date.  They were another couple I had given up on, and again, the conversation was alittle inane.  Too much talk about the kids even though that's probably realistic.  But seeing Liz all dressed up and smiling so much and their interaction seeming so comfortable even though they had their awkward moments... it was nice to see.

Now if only Sprina would get some nice, sexy, lighthearted moments.

• Like 6

I picture Brook Lynn wearing a turtleneck by the pool, not skinny dipping. 

They should be at the Q pool (if a set existed), but it's probably in use by Comet.

horse-swimming-pool.jpg

• LOL 10
(edited)
46 minutes ago, Daisy said:

why was Michael yelling at Nina?

Because he's a deplorable little Arsehole. And poor Nina just stands there and takes it. Cringeworthy.

14 hours ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

I really hope that Sonny requests a private interview with Betty (not a name I’d choose for someone her age) to scare the 💩 out of her, although my guess is that she will be the next body to be found once she is no longer any use to Mason. 

If Ava and Sonny are smart they'll hire Betty - torture her on a daily basis and use her to feed mis-information to the latest "Big Bad." All they have to do is ask themselves "what would Tony Soprano do?" Although he'd probably kill them all after the requisite amount of hand-wringing.

In other news, Rebecca Herbst is so beautiful it actually hurts to look at her (TM Bruce Willis).

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Like 6
1 minute ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Because he's a deplorable little Arsehole. And poor Nina just stands there and takes it. Cringeworthy.

yeah which sucks. but i mean why was he a little poophole this time (I'm not watching right now). but i did see she was allowed to see Wiley (well that she saw him, LOL i dunno if she was allowed)

3 minutes ago, Daisy said:

yeah which sucks. but i mean why was he a little poophole this time (I'm not watching right now). but i did see she was allowed to see Wiley (well that she saw him, LOL i dunno if she was allowed)

She showed up late, after being delayed at the hospital because of Sasha's issues.

Eta: she was 2 hours late and it was close to bedtime. I made the mistake of reading comments on Facebook, where she (Nina) was being savaged for it.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, tessaray said:

She showed up late, after being delayed at the hospital because of Sasha's issues.

Eta: she was 2 hours late and it was close to bedtime. I made the mistake of reading comments on Facebook, where she (Nina) was being savaged for it.

thanks.
honestly, Nina needs to just flip Michael the bird, and walk away

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

I'm surprised  finn didn't know Liz liked to paint. They've  known each other for a while.

Why were chase and Brooklyn at the metro court pool? Why doesnt the quatermaine mansion have a pool?

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Right. But when does their stuff start airing? As I understand it, this show tapes months of shows in advance? Or am I misremembering?

An article in the Media thread said their stuff started airing yesterday or possibly today. Which makes sense since the WGA went on strike a few weeks ago

• Like 2

Portia is making me dizzy.  The other day she was basically "Curtis shall never walk again!" and then today she's all "we don't know what will happen."  She's exhausting me.

Hallellujah, Ava told Sonny what's going on!  I have to say that, sure, he yelled at her because he's still Sonny, but their relationship is so much more enjoyable to watch now that they're not constantly at each other's throats.  

• Like 11
2 hours ago, Daisy said:

He's an entitled piece of shit who was over-indulged when he was a child and grew up into this thing we have on screen.

When he was talking to Nina, it reminded me of his days as the Red Menace when he hated all of his father's girlfriends and tried to put a hit out on one of them (Sam maybe?)

• Like 3
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 3

Maybe the scab writers will just do something expedient like have Nina freak out at a family event and confess everything. Then when everyone starts yelling at her, Willow remarks that Michael was about to do the same thing with Sonny...then everyone laughs, breaks Drew out of jail, and we all just get on with our lives.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
1 hour ago, DanaK said:

An article in the Media thread said their stuff started airing yesterday or possibly today. Which makes sense since the WGA went on strike a few weeks ago

Ah. Thanks. That's what I get for not clicking on the link in the media thread!

Michael/Willow, Joss/Dex, Portia/Curtis. What did I do to deserve this?

My recommendation for today:  Skip through the Michael/Willow scenes. So much 'you're so wonderful' 'no, you're wonderful'. No new information unless  you didn't know how wonderful Willow thought Michael was. And missed the first 10,000 x they told Wylie that he's amazing.

'When you went to the hospital, I was scared you wouldn't come home." How would Wylie know that sometimes people go away and don't come back?  Because Nina stayed away for so long?

Joss to Dex: You wouldn't have told me if you had killed him because you don't want to lie to me. You'll always protect me.  (And there we have it, the perfect mob moll.) 

Portia, recycle that paper bag, don't just throw it in the garbage.. Didn't you hear how hot it is in Port Charles today?

I hope that Curtis/Portia fans are happy with their scenes today. Someone should. I couldn't get through them. Shut up Curtis, you're the one who walked out on Portia. What an arrogant, small man.

The good parts were Ava coming clean to Sonny and Sonny accepting it like the mob boss he is (I can't believe I just typed that); and the glance that Dante and Sam exchanged saying "Cody is staying here tonight"/"Does he have to? Okay, okay, I'll get some blankets."

6 hours ago, Daisy said:

Because he can. Just like all the other Carlys on the show.

Michael was complaining that he kept Wylie home from camp for two days so that Nina could visit Willow in the bubble, which makes no sense since  Wylie shouldn't have been out of the bubble and in camp at all) and Nina is late/not coming. Nina arrives apologizing profusely and Wylie greets her delightedly and Nina bends down to play with him. Michael complains to Willow then tells Nina that she's there to see Willow not Wylie and it's Wylie's bedtime. Then he complains some more and takes Wylie off to bed.

Nina explains about Sasha and Michael says he'll get more information about her situation. Which he does by phoning Sonny at the hospital who Nina had just left and Sonny tells him exactly what Nina said. So I guess we're at the stage of Michael believing Sonny now but not a word of what Nina says.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Ava and Sonny are smart they'll hire Betty - torture her on a daily basis and use her to feed mis-information to the latest "Big Bad." All they have to do is ask themselves "what would Tony Soprano do?" Although he'd probably kill them all after the requisite amount of hand-wringing.

I’m enjoying Ava and Sonny and the somewhat cordial relationship they now have. Even though I enjoy him with Nina (and didn’t mind Ava with Austin), I wouldn’t mind a hook up between the two of them. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Michael complains to Willow then tells Nina that she's there to see Willow not Wylie and it's Wylie's bedtime. Then he complains some more and takes Wylie off to bed

So what was Nina supposed to do push him aside and say "sorry Kid can't talk to you? these people. 

thanks for the details. Yadayada was right just shades of Red Menace. 

• Like 4

Portia, go home and let your man baby have his temper tantrum.

"Children should not support their parents." Well, Curtis, if you're lucky, you will have a child/children who will do that.

I tag-teamed with my brothers for the last six months of our mom's life, and none of us felt like it was some terrible burden. Of course it wasn't fun, but helping someone die the death they want to have (which my mom was lucky to get), can be a privilege.

Curtis isn't on his deathbed (alas), but the point is the same: If you have a kid who wants to help, let them. Don't be a martyr.

• Like 4
  • Hugs 4
  • Love 4
52 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I hope that Curtis/Portia fans are happy with their scenes today. Someone should. I couldn't get through them. Shut up Curtis, you're the one who walked out on Portia. What an arrogant, small man.

Intellectually, I know that what Curtis is feeling and saying would be a normal reaction to the realization that he might not walk again, but he's been such a selfish, self-centered pissant, that I don't give two hoots about his emotional pain or his attempt at martyrdom. Just STFU.

And the whole audience knows that he'll walk again anyway because that's  how TFGH rolls, so there's really no drama involved.

7 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Dex and Joss are revolting and I cannot take Michael/Willow. Double dose of douchiness in the afternoon is not what I asked for.

I wonder if anybody at GH headquarters is truly aware that what we see on the screen is that Joss and Dex talking death, murder, and assorted mob violence is their foreplay.  

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

Sam and Dante have really been building their chemistry lately. I was going to ask if anyone knew if they had become a couple in real life, but then I remembered that the Joss and Dex actors are, so there goes that theory.

• LOL 10
1 minute ago, Auntie Velvet said:

Sam and Dante have really been building their chemistry lately. I was going to ask if anyone knew if they had become a couple in real life, but then I remembered that the Joss and Dex actors are, so there goes that theory.

As the wise man Joey Tribbiani once explained to Chandler: if there's chemistry on stage they're definitely not having IRL sex, but if there is no chemistry on stage then the actors are definitely having an affaIr and that's used up all the chemistry. 😉

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

He's an entitled piece of shit who was over-indulged when he was a child and grew up into this thing we have on screen.

When he was talking to Nina, it reminded me of his days as the Red Menace when he hated all of his father's girlfriends and tried to put a hit out on one of them (Sam maybe?)

He tried to put a hit out on Alcazar when he was wooing Carly.

Michael shot Kate, and clubbed Stepmommy Claudia to death. 

The boy has always had issues ( pre and post getting shot in the head)

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
19 minutes ago, rur said:

Intellectually, I know that what Curtis is feeling and saying would be a normal reaction to the realization that he might not walk again, but he's been such a selfish, self-centered pissant, that I don't give two hoots about his emotional pain or his attempt at martyrdom. Just STFU.

And what he did was attack Portia for keeping Trina from him. Not that he's realized how valuable life is and how much he wants to get to know her now and have a relationship with her. No, it's how Portia took those 20 years away from him. Me. Me. Me. Self-centred pissant is the right description.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
35 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Dex and Joss are revolting and I cannot take Michael/Willow. Double dose of douchiness in the afternoon is not what I asked for.

Triple with Curtis. I saved a lot of time today. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
21 minutes ago, DanaMB said:

Triple with Curtis. I saved a lot of time today. 

Don't even get me started on him. Even when he's been shot and is paralyzed, he's still a self-righteous prick of the highest order. Portia should walk away and not look back.

Women on this show debase themselves far too much for these men who don't deserve an iota of their attention. Some self-respect, please.

Of course in Carly's case, it's Drew who had to debase himself.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, fishsanwitt said:

OMG, Curtis, STFU! You whiny asshole.

The only couple I didn't FF through today were Sonny and Ava. What a waste of an hour.

If I were Portia, I would tell Curtis I won’t allow him to treat me like that and then tell him I won’t desert him, but I’ll be back in a couple of days and he better have a better attitude

• Like 5
  • Love 3

Joss and Dex just made me swear off crudités for a while. 🙈 🤮

Too bad that bullet didn't paralyze Curtis' ego.

Maybe after Sonny dumps Nina, he can get with Ava. Then Nik can return. Much as I prefer Nina to Carly, Sonny and Nina do not have any heat. They act like an elderly couple who've been together 50 years with all their demure kisses, hands smooshing each others' cheeks, and soft talk.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

Was I in a fugue state at some point before today's show and missed when Molly got into a car accident? 

In other news, LOL at the scab writers putting a line in there about Michael ~reviewing contracts on his iPad.  Amelia looked as unimpressed as me.  Also, another LOL at the stricken looks Millow had when Wiley said he was scared when Mommy was in the hospital.  First off, of course he was scared, he's not a sociopath.  Secondly, this is what you get for not talking to him at any point about Willow being sick. 

The less said about Joss and Dex the better.  The amount of trying they're putting into making these two the hot couple is painful. 

Best scenes were Sonny and Ava.  I love how Sonny treats murder and blackmail like a minor inconvenience akin to a flat tire that he has to handle.

• Like 8
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2

@Cheyanne11 - Yes, I believe it was shortly after we learned Lexi was leaving GH. There was then news that there was going to be short term Molly replacement (Molly 2.0) because HP was in a car accident. A couple of weeks later, we learned Haley caused the accident b/c she was driving drunk, jumped a median, was driving on the wrong side of the road, and hit someone. We only have Molly 3.0 b/c HP is facing felony criminal charges and may still be in rehab. 

• Like 1

I hated Curtis behavior before now I detest him.  He accused doctor who has more money than him of wanting insurance money.  Get the annulment Portia and leave him to handle it on his own. 

Ava and Sonny were great.  So glad she told him everything.  

Since when does Sonny drive himself? Where's the guards?

• Like 11
31 minutes ago, lala2 said:

@Cheyanne11 - Yes, I believe it was shortly after we learned Lexi was leaving GH. There was then news that there was going to be short term Molly replacement (Molly 2.0) because HP was in a car accident. A couple of weeks later, we learned Haley caused the accident b/c she was driving drunk, jumped a median, was driving on the wrong side of the road, and hit someone. We only have Molly 3.0 b/c HP is facing felony criminal charges and may still be in rehab. 

No, I know that.  But today Sam said the characgter of Molly had gotten into an accident.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Tenshinhan said:

Not sure what to think about them writing in HP's accident like that...

I almost wonder if that scene was written back when the show thought her accident was just an actual car accident and they were using it to explain some sort of injury the actress suffered. I remember hearing some spec about the show initially being in the dark regarding the nature of what happened and it’s a hell of a coincidence that they mentioned Molly being in a car accident only 1 episode after they went from a temp recast to hiring a new permanent recast. 

Edited by ffwbe
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
5 hours ago, ffwbe said:

I almost wonder if that scene was written back when the show thought her accident was just an actual car accident and they were using it to explain some sort of injury the actress suffered.

That's what it felt like to me as well.  

• Like 3