Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Pingaponga said:

Do we have new Charlotte again? Or is this the original Charlotte?

It's Scalett Fernandez, so nu Old Charlotte.  So happy to see her back. I can't believe how much she's grown in the past few years.

They had briefly recast her for the 'save Charlotte from Victor" story, but that actress lookd too soft and not as tough as a Spencer/Cassadine child would be.     And I have to assume that if they went to the trouble of bringing her back, it must mean Lulu's about to wake up.  

• Like 5
  • Love 4
(edited)

I guess we now know why Carly can't sell her old house to raise money -- not only has it fallen to pieces, but it's moved itself to Chechnya!

There's something so poignant about teen Charlotte pouring her heart out to her comatose mother Lulu, just like Lulu herself once did.

Edited by Auntie Velvet
  • Like 13
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Michael is being such a turd toward her, and hates that Willow wants to see her, that I don't really blame Nina here. She just wants him to stop shooting her death-ray eyes every time Willow asks her over. She does try to talk to him about noncontroversial topics, but since Michael is a Carly, nothing is uncontroversial, simply because it's coming out of her mouth. 

Seriously.  He's such an asshole.  He treats Nina like dirt, and she's right that it's only a matter of time before the Wunderkind Wiley asks Daddy why he's so mean to Grandma Nina.  Also, lol, writers trying to make Michael into a Big Boy who does Big Boy Work.  You know that worker who he bitched out about the budget "not adding up" (that's legit not how budgets work, but do go on with your mathin', asshole) was like "what a f*cking dickhead" the second they hung up.

Truly liked the Charlotte/Dante/Bed-Thats-Supposed-To-Be-Lulu scenes.  OldNuCharlotte looks so grown-up and she really delivered with her lines.  I do wonder if it's the first step in Lulu waking up and, yeah, I do think Maxie is getting the old Falconeri house.

Lastly, Joss is such an entitled, bossy bitch.  That's all.

• Like 6
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6
44 minutes ago, Mirabelle said:

It is a mop on a wig or did they shell out an actual mannequin to play Lulu? Or was it pillows artfully arranged to look like a comatose body?

No body.  Just tubes and monitors.  Charlotte was crying and put her head down on what might have been a leg.  

I simply must second that Michael was wearing the most ill fitting blouse I have ever seen in my life today. I mean, OMG. It looks like Wiley sewed it on his Fisher Price sewing machine!

• Like 1
  • LOL 10
1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

I simply must second that Michael was wearing the most ill fitting blouse I have ever seen in my life today. I mean, OMG. It looks like Wiley sewed it on his Fisher Price sewing machine!

Did you mean to say Blouse?  In America men wear shirts, LOL. But since it's Mikey, you're probably right.

• LOL 10

I had to laugh at Michael's phone call - basically it was, "I don't like these numbers! Get me better numbers!" Clearly not how budgets or businesses work, although I've worked for a few managers who had similar attitudes. ;-)

• LOL 2

I am liking what the new writers are coming up with their first few days. Some movement in the many dragged out forever, plot lines.

Ava quickly coming clean to Sonny about Mason, the nanny, and Austin.

Cody coming clean to Dante about Serena and the poker games, Gladys always in debt to Serena, causing the sale of Brando’s garage without telling Sasha beforehand.

Kristina calling Michael a bastard, and rightfully so. Also the fact they even showed him in the office, a big executive such as he is supposed to be, actually spending some time in the office.

Michael even seemed toned down in his facial huffing and puffing and normally over the top, high level of complete bully nastiness to Nina when she went to his office.

Maybe the new writers have read posts here and are taking pity upon the viewers, or just are in agreement with opinions here. I like it.

• Like 16
(edited)
2 hours ago, Mirabelle said:

Do those two even consider each other brother and sister? 

Yes since they were children, but they haven't had much scenes together in the last couple of years. They used to be superclose. 

Edited by nilyank
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, nilyank said:

Yes since they were children, but they haven't had much scenes together in the last couple of years. They used to be superclose. 

*Remembering when Drew Garrett was  playing the role and he and Lexie had inappropriate romantic chemistry for siblings*

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
12 hours ago, Mirabelle said:

I'm hoping the poor soul on the other end of the line just sends him the same report in a different font. Maybe Comic Sans. 

Great idea! I love Comic Sans - in fact, I worked on an application that used Comic Sans exclusively (it involved comic book style characters).

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Mirabelle said:

I'm hoping the poor soul on the other end of the line just sends him the same report in a different font. Maybe Comic Sans. 

Fitting for someone who is sans comic.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, SassyCat said:

Kristina calling Michael a bastard, and rightfully so. Also the fact they even showed him in the office, a big executive such as he is supposed to be, actually spending some time in the office.

What a pokey little CEO? office it was, from the curtain over the fake window, to the cheap Aurora sign on the wall.   It looked like he was in the basement somewhere.

Edited by ciarra
  • Like 2
  • LOL 5
33 minutes ago, ciarra said:

What a pokey little CEO? office it was, from the curtain over the fake window, to the cheap Aurora sign on the wall.   It looked like he was in the basement somewhere.

Fitting for Michael who would be living in his mother's basement if he wasn't a rich overprivileged brat.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 3
On 7/22/2023 at 5:07 AM, CeChase said:

I know right!  I hate that about GH...someone has a few drinks, or drinks a few days in a row and it's a big alcoholic storyline.  Do these people live on planet earth?  Sometimes I get very stressed and have drinks, sometimes I even do it 2 nights in a row!  

And none of the under thirty characters on the show ever get wasted?  NONE of them?  Even the college students?  

Totally unrealistic.

On 7/28/2023 at 4:15 PM, perkie1968 said:

It's Scalett Fernandez, so nu Old Charlotte.  So happy to see her back. I can't believe how much she's grown in the past few years.

They had briefly recast her for the 'save Charlotte from Victor" story, but that actress lookd too soft and not as tough as a Spencer/Cassadine child would be.     And I have to assume that if they went to the trouble of bringing her back, it must mean Lulu's about to wake up.  

Girl Detective?  Or a recast?  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 7/27/2023 at 12:04 PM, statsgirl said:

Best moment:  Finn's expression when he sees Portia crying in the break room.

Portia, take the gift that Curtis doesn't want to see you and walk away.\

Speaking of people who should give up, Nina, Carly will never accept you. Stop trying.

Sasha should not be in restraints. Cleanly the writers have never been in a locked ward in a mental hospital. (That cupboard full of supplies is just begging to be broken into.) SM is doing a good job but I hate seeing these scenes. Losing his license isn't enough, Montague needs to die.

This Molly is not working for me. I don't care about her endlessly talking about that she can't carry a child and the actress' voice isn't helping.

The writers don’t know shit about the legal system, law enforcement, medicine, our system of government, physics, science in general, geography, or pretty, much any other real world institution, or intellectual pursuit.

it’s a solid wall of ignorance the whole way around.

On 7/27/2023 at 10:46 AM, YaddaYadda said:

She's on a hero's journey!! A regular Byronic hero that one. 

Rock bottom would have been her ass being carted off to Pentonville, not having to sell the mausoleum she lives in.

Perhaps they could spin Carly off into her own streaming series, far away from GH.  They could call it ‘The Byronic Woman’.

• LOL 5
On 7/27/2023 at 6:57 PM, Mirabelle said:

I want Heather to stop by hoping to get Cam to make her another BLT and upon finding out her step-grandson is no longer working there and thus  unable to make her a sandwich, she goes on another rampage targeting the Carlys. Her calling card for this rampage could be stuffing tofurkey sandwiches into her victims' mouths and the PCPD can spend months looking for the Tofurkey Killer. 

Sorry, we can’t have nice things.

• Love 2
On 7/28/2023 at 2:42 PM, dubbel zout said:

Michael is being such a turd toward her, and hates that Willow wants to see her, that I don't really blame Nina here. She just wants him to stop shooting her death-ray eyes every time Willow asks her over. She does try to talk to him about noncontroversial topics, but since Michael is a Carly, nothing is uncontroversial, simply because it's coming out of her mouth. 

Ugh, he's such an infant.

And he always sounds like such a snotty, sniveling, condescending little bitch.  Can we start calling Michael that?

On 7/29/2023 at 10:54 AM, KittyQ said:

I had to laugh at Michael's phone call - basically it was, "I don't like these numbers! Get me better numbers!" Clearly not how budgets or businesses work, although I've worked for a few managers who had similar attitudes. ;-)

LB (Little Bitch/Michael) has more in common with the Pointy Haired Boss form Dilbert than Elon Musk.

• LOL 3
On 7/28/2023 at 10:04 AM, CeChase said:

Nina is busy trying to get Willow to love her, what a waste of her time.  She needs to be in Sasha's room.   And now with Sonny busy with Mason and Austin, who is going to visit Sasha who will shove Gladys on her ass to get by her?

There ought to be a storyline that ends similar to the film ‘The Good Son’, where Nina has to sacrifice either either Willow or Sasha to savage the other.  And Nina chooses correctly.

The end.

• Applause 7

Ha! I mentioned on Friday that CD wears his clothes too tight. Today they’ve put him in a much larger shirt. Guess I wasn’t the only one who thought he looked like he was strangling.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 4
(edited)

We might be getting writing from the scabs, it seems like it's still the same mandate. All characters must shine the Carlys halos. 

Michael is not the smartest person. He is as dumb as a box of rocks. He's also never been put in any kind of situation where he had to show us how smart he is, only situations where he is incurably stupid.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Like 1
  • Applause 8

Kristina to Michael: "You're the smartest person I know."  Oh sweetie.... Even in this episode, Alexis is showing how much smarter she is than Michael.

It looks like neither Michael nor Kristina knows how the board of a non-profit works, or maybe it's the writers. He just took on a large time committment.

Drew is much better away from Carly. Still badly written, but better.

Why does Anna assume that the person is trying to kill her because she was a double agent and not because of something that she did as a WSB agent?

I hope that they don't kill off Cyrus, he's one of the more interesting parts of the show.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

It looks like neither Michael nor Kristina knows how the board of a non-profit works, or maybe it's the writers. He just took on a large time committment.

Somehow, this felt like they're setting up Michael to take over Kristina's nonprofit. Which would of course be on par with this show to hand him something else he didn't work for or deserves.

I'm glad Alexis pointed out all the reasons why Kristina should not be Molly's surrogate, which left me feeling like none of it got through to Molly because she's already made her decision that Kristina should be the surrogate.

Drew is still such an uninteresting character. I'm not even sure why he's taken it upon himself to help or protect Cyrus. 

Yeah, they're about to bring Martin's 3rd wife to the show. 

• Like 7
(edited)

I guess Lucy's legal woes are taken care of? When did this happen?

I had to laugh that Michael still can't give concrete reasons why he hates Nina except for "what she did to our family." And has he listened to Willow lately? She wants Nina in her life. His constant sneering at Nina whenever he sees her isn't making things easier for Willow. It's still all about his feelings.

I hope this detente between Tracy and Gregory lasts, because the dumb squabbling is beyond tedious.

I would not want Drewfus's face to be the last one I saw before I shuffled off this mortal coil.

Edited by dubbel zout
spelling
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

Does the same nanny watch Avery and Donna? If she does why didn't sonny tell carly about who the nanny is?

Edited by ljr
  • Like 1

They were both being watched by the same nanny but then Ava said she had to change so Donna has the original nanny and Avery has Betty 

I really hope sonny or Ava don’t tell Carly anything because then she’ll put her ass in their story. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

So what happened to the crafty, dangerous Cyrus? Unless he’s putting on an act, he’s lost a lot of his mojo

I’m really liking the new actress playing Kristina; the character is a mess though. I also like the new actress playing Molly, though not as much as the one playing Kristina

Edited by DanaK
  • Like 5
6 minutes ago, DanaK said:

So what happened to the crafty, dangerous Cyrus? Unless he’s putting on an act, he’s lost a lot of his mojo

I know. I don't want to watch him get saved by Drewfus every time someone challenges him.

If it's so Drewfus can make his bona fides in Pentonville, no, thank you. That dolt should be at a camp prison, not the federal pen, for committing insider trading. Ugh.

• Like 8
4 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Kristina to Michael: "You're the smartest person I know."  Oh sweetie.... Even in this episode, Alexis is showing how much smarter she is than Michael.

Why does Anna assume that the person is trying to kill her because she was a double agent and not because of something that she did as a WSB agent?

I hope that they don't kill off Cyrus, he's one of the more interesting parts of the show.

You hit on a good point.  Michael isn’t smart.  In fact, it would be easier to list everyone who isn’t smarter.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2

Having a tough time accepting the conversations between Anna and Sonny.  I know Robin was close with him, but Anna?  Is there some story line that I've completely forgotten where they were friends? 

What I haven't forgotten is that much of her past took place with and around the current DA in Port Charles.  She should be talking through this with Robert. 

And if they are planning some story arc where she legitimizes Sonny in some way, I'm out.

• Like 4
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Suicidy said:
5 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Expand  

You hit on a good point.  Michael isn’t smart.  In fact, it would be easier to list everyone who isn’t smarter.

My list would start with Moss.

• Like 1
  • LOL 11

I have to laugh every time we see Michael in his office. He is the CEO of what is supposed to be a multi-billion dollar company in Aurora, and is probably heading ELQ again with Val and Ned gone. Yet he has this tiny dumpy office with a cheap looking desk, aspen trunk design curtains that look like they belong in somebody's den, and one sad red chair that had to be on sale at Pottery Barn. It makes Alexis', Maxie's, and Nina's offices look like palaces!

...but yes, I did notice that they at least bought him a bigger blouse for today! 🤣 

• Like 3
  • LOL 5
1 hour ago, JMO said:

Having a tough time accepting the conversations between Anna and Sonny.  I know Robin was close with him, but Anna?  Is there some story line that I've completely forgotten where they were friends? 

They have made Anna too soft and prone to lots of weeping in general since she came back on contract in 2012, but she's been especially too soft re: Sonny. This was always done to legitimize his struggles to the audience and also because I think most of the cast is clearly very fond and friendly with Maurice IRL.

I have never bought their cozy relationship and never will, especially given the fact that it was Duke's own struggle with returning to civilian life a broken man that led him to join Sonny's organization, backslide back into organized crime as one of Sonny's trusted lieutenants, lose his relationship with Anna and die in the life.

• Like 3
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

I got second hand embarrassment at the Drew prison fight scene. They really should have cut that. CM can’t pull off tough guy at all

Seriously  and his “I was in the military I know what to do? Yeah I’m sure the prison guards do to. They just didn’t want to

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Why would Tracy call Alexis about Gregory when she is besties with Finn, you know, the man's son who also happens to be a doctor?

I stand corrected on Michael's cheapo office.  It's not a fake window frame with curtains, it's birch tree artwork in a frame. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
31 minutes ago, ciarra said:

Why would Tracy call Alexis about Gregory when she is besties with Finn, you know, the man's son who also happens to be a doctor?

I stand corrected on Michael's cheapo office.  It's not a fake window frame with curtains, it's birch tree artwork in a frame. 

Tracy believes Gregory would confide in Alexis before Finn, and she knows Alexis was there during the last episode. Tracy would want confirmation before going off and telling Finn.

There's just a lot of nothing happening all around, but I enjoyed Tracy/Gregory.

I also enjoyed Cyrus, who I believe is not faking his conversion or his heart attack, but who may wake up after his near death experience, back to his "old" self. There's obviously a purpose to bringing him back, especially with Victor gone.

It's sad that two actors (Elliot and Kober) who are on a supposed limited run, are the only ones worth watching.

• Like 6

Forgot to add. I think Cyrus whispered, "no, not now" when he began having the attack. I'm too lazy right now to go back and be sure, though. I know the show does that often- repeat stories. We'd have two men, Cyrus and Gregory, both secretly ill.

They wouldn't have Cyrus need a heart transplant, just to kill off Gregory to give it to Cyrus, would they ?

It can be done IRL, people with the disease can be organ donors. But it's a little too DOOL. I don't think they'd go there.

Edited by IWantCandy71
  • Useful 1

It is puzzling that they have trouble dressing Michael. Chad Duell doesn't look to me as if he would be at all challenging to dress in a flattering way, but when they have him in dress shirts (which is often), the shirts usually look as though they shrank in the laundry or else they fit the character well at an earlier point in his life and he's in denial about that point having passed. I don't think that's the intent, because GH dresses some other people badly on the regular too. Michael/Duell is just a stranger example than some.

So, the scuttlebutt I'm seeing in various places on the internet is that the replacement writers are doing a better job than the official crew, but it sounds here as though the insufferable characters are no easier to suffer.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Asp Burger said:

It is puzzling that they have trouble dressing Michael. Chad Duell doesn't look to me as if he would be at all challenging to dress in a flattering way, but when they have him in dress shirts (which is often), the shirts usually look as though they shrank in the laundry or else they fit the character well at an earlier point in his life and he's in denial about that point having passed.

I get the impression that the male characters’ wardrobes, especially their suits and business attire, don’t get replenished that often so going up or down a size would affect them a bit more than the female characters who seem to get newer clothes pretty frequently. If you rewatch episodes from a few years ago, it looks like like a lot of them are pretty much wearing the same stuff you see them in today. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, IWantCandy71 said:

Tracy believes Gregory would confide in Alexis before Finn, and she knows Alexis was there during the last episode. Tracy would want confirmation before going off and telling Finn.

Tracy would just blurt it out, imo.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I do like that the scab writers are focusing on different characters and relationships that didn’t get as much focus before but so far, it’s boring and some of these characters are having the same convo over and over agin. 

Case in point, Molly talking to someone about this retconned stuffed horse. The  actress has zero chem with each of the 4 actors her character will regularly interact with so I’m about to place her on ffw. 

Also not sure what’s the point of this Cyrus/Drew SL. GF must have pre-taped a bunch of scenes before her break because she’s been gone all summer yet is still onscreen. I guess JPS must have had a similar break to hers and that’s why they are siloed together while Anna has a new bff in Sonny. It’s kind of sad that she’s been so attached to Valentin since Peter died to the extent that they couldn’t figure out what else to do with her. 

Was Kristina always lacking a filter or did this start with the recast? She’s becoming as annoying as nurse Amy. 

• Like 7