Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

28 minutes ago, Kim0820 said:

It was amazing how twisted that got.  Brooklyn was referring to reporting a crime as a crime in itself.  This show goes so far - do they really mean that good people let their relatives get away with crimes and that a good person would not report his relative?  Good thing that does not apply in the real world, i.e. David Kaczynski.  

the thing is.. if the crime was like. killing someone in self defence because they were sexually assaulted or whatever - i can understand that (sort of). like you were defending yourself.  and we should protect them [I'm thinking of when Bianca killed her rapist, blocked it out and Kendall and everyone bent over backwards to protect her & the baby to be]. 

but Drewfus and Michael committed a federal offence that any entry-level worker would know. I don't even blame Carly for this. [i mean she's suffering because she knows better than everyone else, and had she just listened to someone for the first time in her stupid life, she wouldn't even be in this situation in the first place].  Bleating how this was going to help the family and all of that jazz means nothing if you were committing a federal offence that would hurt your family's legacy, because you thought of a dumbass way to get the stocks back. 

and I am so tired of these people peeing on my leg and telling me it's raining because the people committing the crime is in the right and those reporting it is not

• Like 7
  • Applause 5

This is the description of yesterday's episode from GH's twitter account.

Ned won't take the fall for Nina's crime, West Coast... but can he convince anyone he didn't report Drew and Carly to the SEC?

Nina's crime. They called it Nina's crime. It's a crime to report criminals. 

At least we know for sure where this dumbass show stands.

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 12
  • Sad 9
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
2 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Holy moses give me strength

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

The ratio however, pointing out that Nina did not actually commit a crime but Drew and Carly did, was glorious.

Unfortunately it won't make any difference to Frank and the writers, especially not since they got so many Emmy noms.

• Like 10
18 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Literally all the comments are like 'are you crazy? Nina didn't commit a crime/Carly and Drew are the ones who are guilty/the only crime is Olivia not believing her husband' and so on.  It's unbelievable how they just turn a blind eye to a good portion of their audience.

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
33 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

The ratio however, pointing out that Nina did not actually commit a crime but Drew and Carly did, was glorious.

Unfortunately it won't make any difference to Frank and the writers, especially not since they got so many Emmy noms.

I really wonder if he isn't trolling for attention.  Like, as long as people are tweeting about GH, he doesn't give a shit?

• Like 4
  • Useful 4
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Ned didn't raise her. Lois did.

So much to learn.  Wasn't watching then - hopefully Lois had a more pleasant personality/character than Brooklynn. 

• Like 2

It was great to see Réal Andrews on screen and his character make sense.

Ace was totally enthralled by TA’s nail polish. It helped me swallow the “they’re a family now” anvil.

I didn’t understand Tracy’s chat with Drew. The SEC being after Carly/Sonny instead of Drew?

Poor Nina. Poor Ned.

• Like 11

Et tu, Tracy? You give Drew a pass because of what he did in Greenland? HE STILL COMMITTED A CRIME. And I'm so tired of Willow's illness being some sort of reason to excuse illegal behavior. It's as bad as not putting Sonny in jail because he has claustrophobia. 

LOL at Taggert's face when Portia was ranting. I'm glad they're including Taggert again, but we should have seen him a lot sooner. (I know RA's real-life situation probably limits what he can do.)

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Oh yeah, Portia -- You're concerned that you have permanently damaged your relationship with your adult daughter, but you're also absolutely convinced that you must make sure she's separated from Spenser. No problems ahead there. /sarcasm

• Like 7
  • LOL 4
(edited)

What really bothers me about this is we all KNOW when it is discovered that Michael reported a crime, that action won't suddenly be the most evil, horrible thing one could do b/c Michael did it. This show and its biases are so obvious! That's why the Carlys and any plot associated w/them is an automatic FF/mute for me. I can't do it anymore. 

Anyway . . . . I just watched Sprina, Laura/Curtis, and Portia/Taggart. Love all the Sprina scenes of course. I really love TA as Trina, and I don't think SM could have handled the romantic portion of this story so I don't miss her. She was a great actress, but I cannot forget the cringiness of that kiss w/Cameron. It's burned in my memory. LOL! Thankfully, I've had no issue w/TA. From her first scene, I've liked her. She has made the role her own, and I love her chemistry with NAC/Spencer. Those airplane scenes were too cute w/Spencer's speech to Trina and Chunk playing w/Trina's hands. That said, I still have no interest in seeing Spencer obsessed w/Chunk. I can only hope the writers don't screw up Sprina too much. 

Portia needs to get a grip. Trina is grown. She's 20-years old. She will date who she wants. Portia has no control over it. Instead of trying to force her to stop seeing Spencer, she needs to just be there for her daughter. When she says she doesn't want Trina to get hurt, I just roll my eyes. Unless Trina joins a convent, she's gonna get hurt. That's life, Portia! My goodness. She needs to listen to Taggart!  

Edited by lala2
  • Like 2
  • Applause 3

What the heck, Drew?You don't go around punching people even if he did turn you into the SEC.  And if I were Ned, I would be reassessing his marriage.  His wife clearly doesnt rust him to tell the truth when asked (accused) a simple question. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 7
7 minutes ago, Katy M said:

What the heck, Drew?You don't go around punching people even if he did turn you into the SEC.  And if I were Ned, I would be reassessing his marriage.  His wife clearly doesnt rust him to tell the truth when asked (accused) a simple question. 

Olivia is trash. Ned should serve her with divorce papers and stick her disloyal ass on the first Greyhound to Bensonhurst. 

I have no respect for Ned. He has no spine.

• Like 12
  • Applause 2
7 minutes ago, db1702 said:

So I am pretty new to watching started watching last summer. I am very confused why the writers have everyone acting as if criminal behaviour is okay on this show. Why are people like Brooklyn not just accepting that Carly and Drew need to face the consequences of their actions. Instead everyone on the show is acting like it’s a massive injustice it’s bonkers. 

I have no idea.  If they were solely bemoaning the timing, I could get behind them a bit more.

8 minutes ago, db1702 said:

Meanwhile we have Sonny the mob boss who is committing very serious crimes all the time and yet Willow who is meant to be a good person is telling her husband to not turn Sonny in. It makes no sense. Yes that’s right all round good girl Willow thinks Sonny the mob boss should not have to face the consequences of his actions either. The motto of this show seems to be protect the criminals and persecute the people who want to report their crimes. 

What I got from Willow was that she was fine with Sonny going to prison.  She didn't want Michael turning him in because it would shatter the entire family.  I'm fine with Sonny going to prison, but i don't want Michael and/or JOss behind it because they only want to turn him in because they're big babies.  Doing the right thing for the wrong reason. Same with Nina and turning in Carly and Drew.

3 minutes ago, db1702 said:

So I am pretty new to watching started  watching last summer.

Oh, sweetie! Why did you do this to yourself.

In a nutshell, GH since the Guza years has been massively skewed toward the criminal element of the show. The mob is awesome, the PCPD sucks. They get arrested, wonder lawyer gets them out. There used to be more criminal lawyers in PC, with a revolving doors of loser DAs. Or if they kept the DA around, then they were crooked.

Carly is a beast, but she is treated with kid gloves as are her nasty ass children. The only seemingly normal / good kid she had was Morgan, but he blew up.

For some reason the show insists that we root for the Carlys and for the mob. The characters who turn them in or stand up against them or are presented as competition tend to lose or die. The town tends to line up with their pitchforks, tar and feathers to tell them off as they worship at the altar of the Carlys. And of course any transgression by the Carlys must be instantly forgiven. Let's all pretend it never happened.

The writing is incredibly lopsided, but welcome to the board! We're not nice to the show, but we kind of like each other :)

• Like 11
  • Applause 11

Drew: I can't believe you are defending Ned, i thought Carly was your friend.
HE'S HER HUSBAND, YOU MORON. (though I can see how you can be confused about this at times)

Case in point - "I swear on Lila's memory I didn't do this." Olivia still doesn't believe him. and this is the point Ned should have said then I need you to leave this house I don't need you here

Drew is gaslighting today. "I wanted to put to put the family together, you screwed us. You wanted to control/take over and your ego didn't let you see anything else.". Ummmmmm.........I do remember Ned saying why don't ALL THREE of us be in charge. I also remember Ned saying  all the time the merger wasn't a good idea BEFORE he found out he would have no power.  Shut up.

Maxie's sneeze was the fakest thing I ever heard

over everyone else (cept Sprina)

• Like 13
  • Applause 1
On 5/6/2023 at 6:56 AM, YaddaYadda said:

She'll be pregnant in two weeks!

I'm probably in the minority, but I didn't like the Ice Princess redux at all. It took since CH was hired and Victor talking about his big big BIG plans to get to this point and it was just so anti-climactic overall.

Valentin will live, Willow will live and we will continue to live in the world of no consequences unless it's a character the writers have targeted to be crapped on.

The whole ‘Victor’s evil plot’ thing was so poorly paced and written.  Pretty much all preparation, and no H.

• Like 4
  • LOL 4

Just stopping in to say that Felicia's blouse was gorgeous, and proof that a woman in her 60s can be fashionable without being stodgy.  

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4
(edited)

Drew's outrage that Olivia would stick up (halfheartedly) for HER OWN HUSBAND versus her (terrible) friend Carly was B-E-Y-O-N-D.  I'm not kidding, Drew's worse than Ryan Lavery now.

(Why I'm casting my eyes back on this show just to get annoyed, I haven't the foggiest).

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Like 12
  • Applause 6
30 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Drew's outrage that Olivia would stick up (halfheartedly) for HER OWN HUSBAND versus her (terrible) friend Carly was B-E-Y-O-N-D.  I'm not kidding, Drew's worse than Ryan Lavery now.

Drew is a loser with absolutely nothing to do. Them slapping the word hero on him doesn't change that.

• Like 2
  • Applause 11
9 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Drew is a loser with absolutely nothing to do. Them slapping the word hero on him doesn't change that.

I thought he also looked somewhat deranged while he was ranting. His eyes were wild. Interesting acting hoice by CM.

Just now, Liddy52 said:

I thought he also looked somewhat deranged while he was ranting. His eyes were wild. Interesting acting choice by CM.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
On 5/8/2023 at 8:43 PM, Mirabelle said:

It'd be hilarious if the initial tip off was a random shareholder (maybe an Adam Chandler shout out) who got mad about losing money and sicced the SEC on Carly. It's not like Carly was smart enough to try and hide her activities through shell companies or proxies. 

The list of suspects for the SEC tip off should include EVERY AURORA SHAREHOLDER.   Do these morons not even consider that a major shareholder hired a PI (not Sam, a real PI) to look into the whole thing?  If I had tipped them off, I would proudly admit, look him in the eye and tell him he deserves some time in prison for what he did.  Right before I hit him back even harder.

• Like 2
  • Applause 6

This show is so upside down it's appalling. 

Drew and Olivia can go now. Can't stand them both.  Ned needs to be done with them, he better never forgive Drew. 

Trina got her make-up still done? Or she did it with makeup from where?

Spencer going back to trying to steal the baby from it's mother.  She's not a felon at the moment, he is.  Baby was just kidnapped by his family what leg he has for custody?

Shouldn't Maxie be caring that Lisel is found?  

Sasha is an idiot, she's probably broke by now.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Daisy said:

Drew: I can't believe you are defending Ned, i thought Carly was your friend.
HE'S HER HUSBAND, YOU MORON. (though I can see how you can be confused about this at times)

The fact the show thinks this is a perfectly acceptable line of thinking just further illustrates the obscene slant the Carlys have.  One is expected to go against their spouse to protect a Carly.  No ifs, ands, or buts.  And not one of these assholes is going to apologize to Ned when the truth comes out.

Also, spare me Drew's entire "I can't believe you would do this to ME (a Carly!) while I was off saving Willow and the whole world.  Not that I want to be considered a hero (I totally do), but how dare you report a crime I committed when I was making the world a better place" false self-deprecation. 

• Like 11

For what it's worth, and because no one else has mentioned it,  if Robert and Anna aren't going to be endgame, then I want Robert and Holly, even if Holly goes back to wherever and it's a long distance romance. 

Diane is a mob lawyer. She's dated mob minions. The DA, any DA, should give her a wide berth. I've never seen Carolyn Hennesy in any other role, so I don't know how much of her line delivery is acting and how much is just her, but to me she comes off as consistently smug (the Carlys should study her). Let Ms Wu set her up with one of her soldiers. Just keep her away from Robert. 

• Like 11
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

For some reason the show insists that we root for the Carlys and for the mob. The characters who turn them in or stand up against them or are presented as competition tend to lose or die. The town tends to line up with their pitchforks, tar and feathers to tell them off as they worship at the altar of the Carlys. And of course any transgression by the Carlys must be instantly forgiven. Let's all pretend it never happened.

I very much hope that when the show ends, it goes out with the rest of the characters waking up from this fever dream, realizing that they've been worshiping at the altar of criminals, and banding together to run the Carlys out of town.

Or, better yet, the show can kill them off one by one Loving murders style - if the show is cancelled, you've got nothing left to lose anyway.

3 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

(Why I'm casting my eyes back on this show just to get annoyed, I haven't the foggiest).

Drew can die any time. When CM first joined the show, I didn't think I was still suffering from Ryan Lavery PTSD, but today's episode proved that I am. I can't with this bitch.

• Like 6
  • LOL 3
15 minutes ago, Steph J said:

Drew can die any time. When CM first joined the show, I didn't think I was still suffering from Ryan Lavery PTSD, but today's episode proved that I am. I can't with this bitch.

pretty much. 100 percent pure Ryan Lavery. I simply can not with it. 

and I mean Tracy again was on point. they actually MIGHT be able to ignore the insider trading if they could point out Sonny's many crimes. (it doesn't necessarily mean throw Carly under the bus). They won't because they looooveee Sonny. I was really hoping for "I will give you credit for helping Willow and avenging Luke but if you ever hit my son like that again, I will end you."

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Steph J said:

I very much hope that when the show ends, it goes out with the rest of the characters waking up from this fever dream, realizing that they've been worshiping at the altar of criminals, and banding together to run the Carlys out of town.

Jason Q wakes up from his decades long coma. Jason's recovery is spent separating fact from his coma dreams - he was never a mob hitman (one of his private nurses really loved The Sopranos and would watch it while she was on duty) nor did he ever have a twin brother (another nurse was a big fan of One Life to Live). His brother AJ has been sober for decades and writes mystery thrillers while little sister Emily has been married and divorced five times (three of those times to the same man). Carly is a former nurse who was let go for being incompetent and tried to kidnap him for ransom.  Moss has been by Jason's side for nearly 10 years being decorative and calming. 

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 7
(edited)
12 hours ago, Katy M said:

If they were solely bemoaning the timing, I could get behind them a bit more.

Even then, isn't the timing (disrupting the wedding to haul in Carly, searching for Drew while he was playing superhero in Greenland) more on the SEC than the person who alerted them? For all these idiots know, the tip was called in six months ago. We even heard some chatter about how slowly the wheels of bureaucracy can turn. The actual tipster, Nina, was genuinely surprised they moved so quickly.  

7 hours ago, Runningwild said:

Well, he is that monster. 

He’s been doing the wild-eyed thing for years. 

I am that monster

Good grief! I'm glad I wasn't watching AMC by this point. I didn't think CamMat's portrayal of "extreme" emotions could get even worse than it had been when Gillian was dying, and then in the aftermath of her death. But the above is like Tommy Wiseau in The Room with better English.   

I see he was still touching his hair/head all the time. That was as much a trademark as the wide eyes.

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Like 1
40 minutes ago, Asp Burger said:

Even then, isn't the timing (disrupting the wedding to haul in Carly, searching for Drew while he was playing superhero in Greenland) more on the SEC than the person who alerted them? For all these idiots know, the tip was called in six months ago. We even heard some chatter about how slowly the wheels of bureaucracy can turn. The actual tipster, Nina, was genuinely surprised they moved so quickly.  

Oh, definitely.  And, I wasn't specifically meaning the wedding, but with Willow on death's door. Even Ned said he wouldn't do it now because of that.  

• Like 2
18 hours ago, sunnyface said:

So much to learn.  Wasn't watching then - hopefully Lois had a more pleasant personality/character than Brooklynn. 

If I recall right, Lois did stand up to the older Quartermaines.  Very feisty.

15 hours ago, lala2 said:

Portia needs to get a grip. Trina is grown. She's 20-years old. She will date who she wants. Portia has no control over it. Instead of trying to force her to stop seeing Spencer, she needs to just be there for her daughter. When she says she doesn't want Trina to get hurt, I just roll my eyes. Unless Trina joins a convent, she's gonna get hurt. That's life, Portia! My goodness. She needs to listen to Taggart!  

Even soap characters should know that trying to prohibit a relationship only makes the target more attractive. 

11 hours ago, Suicidy said:

The list of suspects for the SEC tip off should include EVERY AURORA SHAREHOLDER.   Do these morons not even consider that a major shareholder hired a PI (not Sam, a real PI) to look into the whole thing?  If I had tipped them off, I would proudly admit, look him in the eye and tell him he deserves some time in prison for what he did.  Right before I hit him back even harder.

When Drew was wondering about who tipped, and he was with Diane, I wanted Diane to say that it did not matter at all and would do nothing to help his defense.  I think show is going for that it would be a defense to insider trading that the tipper doesn't like Carly.  Sonny already said discrediting the tipper was important.  It's not, really.  Not unless the only evidence of the insider trading was Nina's say so, and that's not going to be the case here. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
14 hours ago, JMO said:

Just stopping in to say that Felicia's blouse was gorgeous, and proof that a woman in her 60s can be fashionable without being stodgy.  

👍 Wardrobe does a great and consistent job working with the female vets. Felicia, Lucy, and Anna always look fashionable and even Alexis’ newer casual look is a winner. And of course Diane, Tracy, and Helena but in a more “dressed to the nines” way. I’ll bet wardrobe spends more on Diane’s handbags than on full outfits for some characters. (Credit to the respective performers too, as I’m sure/I hope they have input)

13 hours ago, Liddy52 said:

I thought he also looked somewhat deranged while he was ranting. His eyes were wild. Interesting acting hoice by CM.

The 32-teeth smile too…kind of a snarl in these scenes.

I’m hopeful the Q mansion SEC scenes are over. Besides the fruitlessness of the Ned accusations, all of the yelling was a no for me. 

• Like 3

When I was in elementary school I would watch GH and Dark Shadows.  Watched Gh until it became mob central. I started watching again during covid. I have been able to watch the last 20 minutes usually everyday. I was so looking forward to school being over so i could watch the whole show daily.  I am so disgusted by the Carly show that I don't even watch, just read here what is going on.  I actually have at times yelled at the screen with the twisting of the truth and the inability to hold some people accountable while others are brutalized.

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
57 minutes ago, Kim0820 said:

If I recall right, Lois did stand up to the older Quartermaines.  Very feisty.

Even soap characters should know that trying to prohibit a relationship only makes the target more attractive. 

When Drew was wondering about who tipped, and he was with Diane, I wanted Diane to say that it did not matter at all and would do nothing to help his defense.  I think show is going for that it would be a defense to insider trading that the tipper doesn't like Carly.  Sonny already said discrediting the tipper was important.  It's not, really.  Not unless the only evidence of the insider trading was Nina's say so, and that's not going to be the case here. 

They're acting like this is a he said/she said situation when there is a literal paper trail of Carly's transactions, the timing, and the fact Carly had never bought individual stocks before or since. Also, there is a paper trail of Carly selling her half of the Metrocourt and using that money to buy stock. I bet there is also an email where Carly tells the buyer she intends to buy back her half of the hotel. The conclusion is practically jumping into the SEC's face, waving its hands, and screaming. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 6
(edited)
17 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Et tu, Tracy? You give Drew a pass because of what he did in Greenland? HE STILL COMMITTED A CRIME. And I'm so tired of Willow's illness being some sort of reason to excuse illegal behavior. It's as bad as not putting Sonny in jail because he has claustrophobia. 

LOL at Taggert's face when Portia was ranting. I'm glad they're including Taggert again, but we should have seen him a lot sooner. (I know RA's real-life situation probably limits what he can do.)

Oh no, what's his real life situation? 

I am very very sad to hear about Jackie. I  a huge fan of the vets and Jackie's story as Bobbie dealing with BJ's heart transplant was just getting started as I began watching the show. I enjoyed her work from that to the Tony/Carly situation to her affair with Damian Smith. I lamented that they didn't write for her and other vets like Genie, Jon, Jane, Wally and Leslie. There's a sorry lack of Nurses and Doctors on a show called General Hospital. While I'm sure the whole cast and crew is hurt by this I harbour resentment at Frank for not using Jackie's skills while he had the chance. I will miss her. 😔

Edited by slayer2
  • Like 9

As someone mentioned either in this thread or the media thread, GH could do a tribute episode with flashbacks of Bobbie and various cast members who worked with her doing talking heads of what Jackie was like in real life. Then they could do the same for Alan Quartermain/Stuart Damon, since he never got his fair tribute. Sonya Eddy had a nice memorial so I don't know if there is enough material to do another one for her, but it would be okay if they wanted to. There might be others I have overlooked who would also be deserving.  This would be a way to fill some episodes during the writers' strike. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
15 minutes ago, Liddy52 said:

Then they could do the same for Alan Quartermain/Stuart Damon, since he never got his fair tribute.

I know a lot of people are holding on to this, but that ship sailed. It was a big mistake to kill Alan off in service of Jason's box of pain.

I just hated Bobbie since she became a Carly prop, but I'm glad JZ got her acknowledgement for her 45 years with GH and while I rolled my eyes a lot about the whole Spencer women business, I'm assuming it was inserted because of JZ's health status. 

I'm sad to see her go. Fuck cancer forever and ever.

• Like 7
  • Love 5