Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Suicidy said:

That’s even worse!  He’s an experienced field agent and mercenary.  They don’t drop phones.

Blame it on Drewfus. He grabbed Valentin and made him run back behind the rock. 🙄

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
12 hours ago, Suicidy said:

Be careful what you ask for from these writers.

I know how dumb the writers are. I'm fine watching a dumb story move along at an unrealistic speed—do people want to watch the SEC take months to put together the case against Carly and Drew? I sure don't. Get to the point. 

We all know the story will go nowhere, but at least at least the show has stopped teasing the point, and we don't have to watch Carly and Drew inanely sneak around trying to pretend they aren't a couple.

• Like 3

They will be in court next week(or at least Carly will---Drew will probably still be in Victor 's clutches). Carly will be found innocent because she is strong and brave and loves with her whole heart. And Nina will be vilified on the stand as the most terrible person alive.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6
  • Fire 2
44 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I know how dumb the writers are. I'm fine watching a dumb story move along at an unrealistic speed—do people want to watch the SEC take months to put together the case against Carly and Drew? I sure don't. Get to the point. 

If they actually took months to investigate, they would gather such damaging information like Carly and Drew hugging at the hospital more than half a year after Carly bought the Aurora stock. 

I mean someone had to inform the SEC about that specific time frame where the hug took place rather them watching hours upon hours upon hours in the hope of finding proof of relatioship between Carly and Drew.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I wasn't watching during the Avery kidnapping but from what I've read, it was a psychotic break on Nina's part. She regrets it, she apologized for it, she made amends with the people that she hurt. It's another thing that sets Nina apart from Carly.

Not only did Nina do all of that, she was sentenced to Ferncliff (or one of the other looneybin places) and was there for a good stretch of period. She did therapy, and did a drug regimen (I think) until she was declared mentally recovered and had served her time.

THAT is one of the reasons I was really pissed off by the yellow journalism of bringing up what Nina did to Ava, and then again in court during the right to see Wiley without context at all. And that the writers didn't have Scotty bring up that in rebuttal. So freaking infuriating. Nina was in a coma for 20 years, poisoned by her mother, her children (thought only a child at the time) stolen from her, betrayed, wronged horribly, and had a psychotic break that was treated. And then she turned her life around amazingly so.

Anyhoo, on another note... I've seen several comments complaining about the lack of gloves/hats on our foursome in Greenland, and I just wanted to point something out. They DID all pack in about 30 minutes under extreme circumstances in a hurried rush. Winter is over with warm weather hitting so those winter items wouldn't be in the front of the closet. The big bulky coats were probably a last-minute 'oh, crap, it's probably going to be cold!' as they ran out. Now, they *should* be pulling those hoods up, but not having hats/gloves actually makes sense due to the quick packing.

I hate Michael. And Brooklyn. (And Carly, but that goes without saying in my book. *sigh* and I loved her so when SJB played her, and really liked TB's version. How times have changed.)

Ignoring the absurdity of it, Willow looks beautiful.

Edited by driver18
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, Mirabelle said:

A merger between ELQ and Aurora doesn't even make sense. I always got the sense ELQ was a holding company with subsidiaries in manufacturing and shipping and was a much bigger company in terms of profit and product/services. How would a merger with a media company even work? 

I work for a 25+ year old media company and that isn't big enough to warrant being a merger if a company the size of ELQ came along. More likely "acquiring."

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
56 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

I work for a 25+ year old media company and that isn't big enough to warrant being a merger if a company the size of ELQ came along. More likely "acquiring."

To be fair, the show made it completely obvious that it made no business sense for ELQ to do it. It was simply a poorly disguised attempt to dilute Valentin’s stake in ELQ so the Qs could vote him out as CEO. I don’t think Drew or Michael for that matter care enough about ELQ to consider the fact the merger would have harmed the company or how crappy it looked that the deal would have made retcon Drew the majority shareholder of the company despite barely having any past involvement in it. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
33 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

To be fair, the show made it completely obvious that it made no business sense for ELQ to do it. It was simply a poorly disguised attempt to dilute Valentin’s stake in ELQ so the Qs could vote him out as CEO.

It was also a deal that ELQ could make quickly. It's not as if Drew would have said no.

• Like 1
(edited)

He's like that villian from Tomorrow Never Dies who wanted to start a nuclear war to generate rating for his cable news network. No one in that movie ever asked the obvious, "Do you really think people are going to watch your cable channel in the midst of a nuclear winter?"

Edited by Mirabelle
  • LOL 11
4 hours ago, DanaK said:

I hope Victor isn’t hoping to live the high life when his virus kills off 80% of the population

Victor should remember that it's people in his position who lobby governments for what they want and hoard everything they can. Should start by them and himself.

Spencer was bitching because of his $10K/month stipend and quit his job at Kelly's the second he was allowed to have the money.

• Like 1
On 4/29/2023 at 1:53 PM, statsgirl said:

Of course the only person to ever have to pay consequences is whoever the current pariah is.

Nina is the new Julian. And I hate it.  Characters used to be more nuanced, like you might hate them but then they show their humanity in an unexpected way, or they are amazing but then massively screw up and have to pay the consequences.  These days it’s just Carly Good.   Nina Bad.  It’s so simplistic and infuriating.

• Like 10
  • Applause 9

How hard would it have been to say "Scott, if we call the WSB they will bomb the island to ensure destruction of the virus."  He doesn't want that any more than they do.  Instead they kept hemming and hawing.

is Frisco still with the WSB?  If so, seems weird Robert hasn't tried to get him to intervene.

Nina, I think the least of anyone's concerns should be the SEC finding Drew in Greenland.  Like seriously, how would they figure that out?  Now, i'm getting this ridiculous mental picture of the SEC busting into the bunker.  "No worries, Mr. madman, we're not here for you.  We just need Drew Caine."  "Well, I was going to kill him but if it will get you to leave, go on and take him.  please don't alert any of the other federal or world agencies that I'm here." "Of course not.  there's nothing going on here we care about."

Nina doesn't seem to care about Liesel except for her marrow

Why is  Robert being sidelined over Anna.  He hasn't just been shot? 

And wouldn't Anna unstrapping herself set off something somewhere?

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 4

So Sonny who did not want weapons to cross his territory is about to allow some crazy-ass explosives through? 

Even Sonny can't win against the Carlys, apparently.

This episode was dreadful. I'd rather eat chalk.

• Like 7
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1

"If it wasn't Ned, then who would have went to the SEC?" Sigh. Insert my usual lament about no one knowing proper grammar.

I would have laughed so hard if the Pikeman shipment was Steiff teddy bears, and everyone was like "Ohh, I get it."  

28 minutes ago, Katy M said:

How hard would it have been to say "Scott, if we call the WSB they will bomb the island to ensure destruction of the virus."  He doesn't want that any more than they do.  Instead they kept hemming and hawing.

Seriously. Those scenes were so stupid.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Why can't the WSB learn that Victor is planning to take out half the world? Isn't it their role to stop that sort of thing?

This show has done some stupid things but sidelining Robert to babysit Scott while wounded Anna and civilian Holly go after Victor may just take the cake. On the other hand, Laura's plan isn't a genius idea either. Do they really think that Victor won't recognize Drew???

"If it wasn't Ned, then who would have went to the SEC?"  That was so jarring. Wasn't Michael educated at expensive schools?

"You didn't incite or entice Drew or Carly to do anything. If there was insider trading they made that decision themselves. All you did was report it."  I love Martin and his correct grammar.

They are really piling on the guilt for Nina.

For someone who is dying, Willow not only looks very healthy, she's up and around the house a lot.

"I think the most important thing right now is to bring Liesl home safe and sound so that she can be a bone marrow donor for Willow..."  Yes Michael, for body parts. And let's forget about Spencer and the baby. He is such a horrible person, the supposed show leading man.

I hate how much Willow is working to reconcile Michael and Sonny while rejecting her own mother and family.

If Ned puts ELQ ahead of everything else as a Quartermaine, does that mean Michael is acknowledging that the attempted merger was a bad idea?

I thought Brick was smart -- why didn't he check the warehouse for bugs and cameras?

39 minutes ago, Katy M said:

And wouldn't Anna unstrapping herself set off something somewhere?

It doesn't look like she's in the ICU any more given the number of visitors she has.

Bombing the island would make the airbourne virus spread farther and faster. Surely the WSB isn't that stupid

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1

All of the talk over who could have possibly turned Carly in for a crime she was 100% guilty of isn’t as intriguing as the show thinks it is. Especially considering how judgmental that group is when someone else does something. If they wanted me to buy Carly as a victim, maybe they should have had someone set her up for a crime because I don’t feel the outrage for her or that it affects Willow because Carly decided to extend her smother behavior towards Willow once she found out Nina was her mom. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 7
14 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

So Sonny who did not want weapons to cross his territory is about to allow some crazy-ass explosives through? 

What are we supposed to believe he usually does.  He says he doesn't have anything to do with drugs, he swore off anything prostitution related after Karen.  the only other illegal thing left is weapons, and that was what i always assumed his business was

9 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Bombing the island would make the airbourne virus spread farther and faster. Surely the WSB isn't that stupid

I wouldn't think so if it's contained within the bunker and it collapses. Plus I don't care if a bomb is involved, viruses dissipate over space and there aren't any people within at least a few miles.  I guess if it's zoonotic and whales and birds get it to spread.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

What are we supposed to believe he usually does.  He says he doesn't have anything to do with drugs, he swore off anything prostitution related after Karen.  the only other illegal thing left is weapons, and that was what i always assumed his business was

I assumed the same thing, but I think it was debunked a few years ago. But going from weapons to explosives that can take out an entire block is a massive leap. We can easily slap the word terrorism on this.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
3 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Nobody knows. Lol but I'm pretty sure that's another thing he has always been against. 

• Like 1

I was expecting Michael to pat Willow on the head and say "Don't worry your pretty head about business matters and other things you don't understand." Gah, he was so patronizing.

I was legit surprised no one mentioned Nina as the source of the SEC tip. I know it's only a matter of time, but they love to blame her for everything anyway. 

Did anyone think to pick up the satellite phone?

RIP to Nneka Garland, but she got more of a memorial than Stuart Damon. Frank sucks.

• Like 5
  • Applause 4

If Michael looks down on the Quartermaines and Sonny this much, just move to Carly’s house, let go of the trust fund and nepotism jobs and make it on your own. Literally everything he has came from the Qs and Sonny handing him whatever he wanted. He’s exhausting and way shadier than Ned. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 20
13 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

If Michael looks down on the Quartermaines and Sonny this much, just move to Carly’s house, let go of the trust fund and nepotism jobs and make it on your own. Literally everything he has came from the Qs and Sonny handing him whatever he wanted. He’s exhausting and way shadier than Ned. 

People like Michael are talk and hot air. Michael is a good reflection of all those kids born with a silver spoon up their asses, who skate on their last name, get internships and high paying jobs because of their last name, get regular tongue baths because of their last name, then turn around and tell everyone how hard they worked to earn what they have.

• Like 6
  • Applause 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Why can't the WSB learn that Victor is planning to take out half the world? Isn't it their role to stop that sort of thing?

Because wounded Anna thinks she is so much smarter and more capable than the whole of the WSB, as evidenced by the many months she and Valentin galavanted around Europe and hid out in PC, making moonpie eyes at each other while Victor did whatever the hell he wanted. ...sorry that was a run on sentence. 🤣

Um, Curtis, if you are going to try to pass as one of the guards, maybe ditch the diamond studs. That kind of bling is something they might possibly notice. 🙄

Edited by TVbitch
  • Like 1
  • LOL 6
4 hours ago, CeChase said:

I think Sonny has said he won't deal arms.  I mean, that leaves like Splenda packets, you know?  It's so ridiculous. 

Gummi bears

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

I mean, I know the Greenland storyline is hokey, but why is Emma Samms mugging and smiling like she's in a sitcom? 

Also, eat shit, Michael.  My god, the pissing and moaning about Ned when he is so very, very wrong (as usual).  And the dismissive way he treats Willow is gross.  I'm surprised she doesn't call him 'sir.'

• Like 4
  • Applause 7
  • Love 2

Ned needs to kick Michael out of this family. Never forgive him fine, Ned be done with him.

So Sonny does not move guns but explosives to bomb blocks are ok?

Nina ruined her daughter's wedding and stuck Feds on the guy trying to save her aunt and by association Willow. Then asks what happens if SEC gets to Drew before he finds Lisel? Hopefully she dies. Great job if that happens Nina! 

• Like 2

So I was wrrong at the Pikeman deal did not take place in Greenland. The tiled walls are brighter and whiter in Greenland.

Since Holly and Anna are both afraid that WSB would bomb Greenland if they knew about Victor's Thanos plan, I am wondering if Sonny is using use that special plastique to blow up Greenland.

Yes, Drew and Curtis, Victor won't recognize either one of you. You know have hats and gloves. Well, maybe that is the real reason that they mugged the minions because they were poor packers for the adventure.

Who flew the seaplane? Valentin? Because Drew doesn't remember his Navy Seals.

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, Artsda said:

Nina ruined her daughter's wedding and stuck Feds on the guy trying to save her aunt and by association Willow. Then asks what happens if SEC gets to Drew before he finds Lisel?

Nina's thought processes make her the Homer Simpson of Port Charles.  "D'oh."

Screenshot 2023-05-01 at 22-29-16 Definition of d'oh Dictionary.com.png

• LOL 1
(edited)

Isn't the SEC lawyers and accountants? They're not the type of agency to have agents that carry weapons or chase criminals. I assume if they do need to get handcuffs on someone they contact the FBI. 

Why do I keep trying to apply logic to any of this? 

Edited by Mirabelle
  • Like 12
13 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

He's the worst sort of nepo baby, not that that's surprising, given he's the worst sort of baby in general.

I normally try to keep daytime and primetime in very discrete cells, not to be compared, but the return of Succession in the last few weeks points up how much more interesting Michael could be if he were written with humor and pathos. That show does privilege, ambition, and daddy love/hate relationships right.

Michael Corinthos III: Putting the "Suck" in Succession since 1997! 

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
(edited)
On 4/25/2023 at 10:23 PM, JMO said:

I love Jane Elliot.  She is always so totally on point, whether Tracy is depriving her father of life-saving heart medication, or falling in love with the ne'er-do-well Luke Spencer, or having a rare moment of empathy that surprises even her.  The actress manages to weave all of those aspects together seamlessly, remaining totally in character while allowing that character to bend, and twist, and still remain, uniquely, Tracy Quartermaine.  I'm so glad she's back.

Agreed. TE is this show's best actor, IMO. It really bothers me that Tracy Angelica Quartermaine (only the COOLEST of characters get middle names) gets bashed by so many of the other characters, even Robert. This is the woman who shot Jerry Fucking Jax with fatal intentions to save Luke. The so-called super-spies on this soap seem to be allergic to firepower. And leave their cellphones on in the middle of a caper. She saved Ethan and treated it like a shopping trip to Saks Fifth Avenue. And as Tracy told Carly #1, she definitely would have ended Victor had he been around. The character deserves more respect, not derision. Plus JE must be SO cool to talk with, hey, she even had a fling with Elvis in his prime!  The stories she probably has to tell.

As for the Greenland arc, the Ice Princess S/L brought me to GH almost 45 years ago. This "spies like us" parody isn't worthy of the show's 60th anniversary. Only a cameo from AG/Luke Spencer could save this dreck and that's probably not going to happen.

As for Millow, all I can say is (sung to the tune of the Silver Convention) " Die Willow, die. Die Willow die...Die Willow die.....up, up to the sky...."

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Like 2
  • Applause 6
  • Love 4
22 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

the Ice Princess S/L brought me to GH almost 45 years ago.

Same with me! Or at least close to that S/L

• Like 2
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, ffwbe said:

All of the talk over who could have possibly turned Carly in for a crime she was 100% guilty of isn’t as intriguing as the show thinks it is. Especially considering how judgmental that group is when someone else does something. If they wanted me to buy Carly as a victim, maybe they should have had someone set her up for a crime because I don’t feel the outrage for her or that it affects Willow because Carly decided to extend her smother behavior towards Willow once she found out Nina was her mom. 

Word.  All act as if Carly has a right to never suffer consequences, even for crime.  

17 hours ago, CeChase said:

I think Sonny has said he won't deal arms.  I mean, that leaves like Splenda packets, you know?  It's so ridiculous. 

Yeah, it is supposed to be illegal and need enforcers, but what's left?  Only plain smuggling - shipping things in without paying import/export dues?  

• Like 8
11 hours ago, Artsda said:

So Sonny does not move guns but explosives to bomb blocks are ok?

Sonny justifies it as not being the one doing the actual shipping—he's just letting the explosives pass through "his" docks. I'm sure the boatload of cash doesn't hurt, either.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
21 minutes ago, ljr said:

Will the show stop now because of the writers strike? If do what will be shown in its place?

I read today that Soaps have about one month's worth of episodes "in the can." My guess is after that we'll be seeing "Classic GH episodes."

Btw, I don't think anyone else has touched on it, but given what we've collectively gone through with Covid that the current S/L is a bit ill-advised?

• Like 5
  • Applause 4
Just now, Winston Wolfe said:

I read today that Soaps have about one month's worth of episodes "in the can." My guess is after that we'll be seeing "Classic GH episodes."

Btw, I don't think anyone else has touched on it, but given what we've collectively gone through with Covid that the current S/L is a bit ill-advised?

For sure

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

1. Yuck. I know what they mean by "Classic" episodes. Only the ones under Frank the Hack's Regime. NO THANK YOU. But since they're a month ahead, this strike may not last as long as the one in 2007? Who knows?

2. My thoughts EXACTLY. They are so FUCKING TONE DEAF.

3. So I'll be deleting, deleting, deleting...
  • Like 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
49 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

They used scab writers during the last strike so I wouldn’t be surprised if they go that route again. The writers also likely had scripts ready for at least another month so they can still film the completed scripts. It’s just no rewrites or edits can be made on those but I don’t think soaps do that very often once they start filming.

Edited by ffwbe
  • Like 6
  • Useful 3
2 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

honestly - this stuff doesn't bother me. same if the show had the freaking courage to actually had a pro life vs pro choice actual storyline (vs. the crap we got w/Willow) when life happened. again same with rape/kidnapping storylines or the current ALS storyline (or even Willow's "cancer" storyline). that's what soaps do.  (or did anyway) again I remember OLTL doing Marty's gang rape, because of the big gang rape story that happened in real life at the time, and they wanted the "soap world" to deal with it as the real world did it. 

my bigger issue is that the writing ALWAYS SUCKS and won't commit to really good story writing. I do respect people's feelings that it can bring back bad memories and i will offer all the hugs and support and cookies - but I really do love when soaps bring the realism because that's what they did in the past. (esp. ABC soaps. I can't really talk about the others with certainty)

As for the strike. Hopefully we get really good temp writers 

• Like 10

Given the number of flashbacks in today's episode, it looks like they've already started to eke out scripts.

But flashbacks aside, how can a sweeps period episode be so boring. The cuts for Millowtonin to Joss/Dex tells me what the show thinks of both star-crossed lovers, and how very much i disagree. How about Liesl use those four to test the antidote?

As ridiculous as Victor is (and his Malthusian crisis) is, the only parts of the show worth watching are him with Liesl and Valentine, and Liz being smarter than Robert plans for in getting to Holly.

Taggart should be saving Trina, not Curtis. Or at least with Curtis.

Shut up Willow working to get Michael and Sonny back together while rejecting your own family. And SHUT UP Michael with how evil Sonny is when you had zero problems with it when he was with your mother.

The hypocrisy of everyone saying that it's okay that poor Carly broke the law, she was just being a loving mother, but SONNY MUST BE BROUGHT TO JUSTICE.

Animated GIF

• Like 5
  • Applause 11