Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

I hated the scene where Carly was trying to school Nina on the inner workings of Sonny (as if he’s such a complicated guy, ugh please).

Sung to the tune of Shaft - "he's a complicated man, and nobody understands him but his wooooman... Gummy Bear Mobster!" I can hear the horns now...

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 6

So I see that Willow asked for Carly's blessing to marry Michael?

We're way past the stepford wife bullshit. This character really needs to die or receive a personality transplant along with the bone marrow. Because what in the ever loving fuck!

• Applause 13
1 hour ago, YaddaYadda said:

So I see that Willow asked for Carly's blessing to marry Michael?

With the acknowledgment that Willow rarely makes sense in her decisions regarding Michael, this one was REALLY bad.  Why would Carly say no?  They've got two kids, they live together, they were planning on getting married and Willow's got the Grim Reaper breathing down her neck.  Now, none of those things would stop Carly from being an asshole to someone she didn't like, but she loves Willow, probably because she's a pliable piece of clay who the Carlys have molded into one of them.  Regardless, super creepy, Willow.  Super. Creepy.

• Like 6
  • Applause 5
  • Love 2

How will we really know this Ethan is truly Luke's son and not an impostor if we don't see him and Luke drinking whiskey the exact same way? And this seems surprisingly low stakes, I mean when the character was introduced on the show however many years ago, I'm pretty sure most of the viewing audience would have taken him off Victor's hands for free. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Wow, that was pretty dull.  Holly’s and later Ethan’s returns were at least a little advancement of that plot but it seemed like the rest was just filler: Robert vs Sonny, Robert and Diane pseudo-flirting while music plays in the background, the Carlys discussing the wedding that will last seven episodes, and the police review board.  Despite that, I’m looking forward to today, if only for the DVR listing confirming 

Spoiler

JE is back

Gregory/Alexis have risen to Willow/Michael levels of I don’t care for me.  I assume it’s an acting choice by or direction to GH (the actor, not the show) as he’s playing a character with an undefined serious ailment, but Gregory really sucks all the energy out of a scene.

• Like 4

I may be in the minority but I don’t mind Gregory. I’ve never been an Alexis fan, and she was downright obnoxious with him a couple of weeks back. She was pushy and annoying! I didn’t even think they were friends like that for the way Alexis was acting so i found her behavior to be extremely off-putting! Why she thought she deserved to know this man’s secrets is beyond me!!! 

I like the actor who plays Gregory whose name I believe is Gregory Harrison. I remember him from an 80s nighttime soap called Falcon Crest my mom used to watch when I was a kid! He’s doing the best he can with this material. GH clearly hasn’t decided what illness he has yet so his dialogue is bound to be repetitive and lame for the next few months or so. 

• Like 11
  • Love 4
42 minutes ago, lala2 said:

I like the actor who plays Gregory whose name I believe is Gregory Harrison. I remember him from an 80s nighttime soap called Falcon Crest my mom used to watch when I was a kid! He’s doing the best he can with this material. GH clearly hasn’t decided what illness he has yet so his dialogue is bound to be repetitive and lame for the next few months or so. 

He probably somehow managed to get an advanced dose of whatever Victor is planning on unleashing on the world.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
52 minutes ago, Katy M said:

He probably somehow managed to get an advanced dose of whatever Victor is planning on unleashing on the world.

👍👍 for that…an unexpected way to incorporate more of the cast into a potentially strong storyline. 

• Like 2

I think the actor who plays Gregory is awkward and stiff. Maybe it’s due to the differences in daytime and lack of direction but he’s bad. Reminds me of the Cyrus actor who I assume was also a great actor in other roles but was awkward on this show. I don’t think he can lead a storyline based on what I’ve seen so far, especially not one that will require heavy scenes. He’s been painful so far.  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, ffwbe said:

I think the actor who plays Gregory is awkward and stiff. Maybe it’s due to the differences in daytime and lack of direction but he’s bad. Reminds me of the Cyrus actor who I assume was also a great actor in other roles but was awkward on this show. I don’t think he can lead a storyline based on what I’ve seen so far, especially not one that will require heavy scenes. He’s been painful so far.  

Oh, I like the character of Gregory.  Now Dex?  THAT is some painful acting.

• Like 6
  • LOL 3
20 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

I didn't watch the episode, I forgot to record it. I have no regrets.

It was a good episode in parts.  Robert is back to his old curmudgeonly self and the Felicia/Holly scenes were fun to watch.  Those seemed like real bodyguards. 

The props and set in Alexis' office was more interesting to look at than the stilted conversation between Alexis and Gregory.   

Didn't Willow recently ask Carly to be her maid-of-honor/give her away?  At least there is not going to be an bachelor party.

• Like 4

The hatred in Michael’s heart for Sonny must run deep because this should have been an automatic, “Sure. Whatever you want, Willow.” The chick is literally DYING and he still couldn’t just easily agree?! He has to grimace and look stupid, making weird faces?!! Michael is friggin’ pathetic. He is such a child. I wish he was dead. 

And Willow is naive. Of course, Sonny will want to bring Nina. Why would Willow even care if Nina is there?!? Nina clearly no longer wishes her harm. Would seeing Nina in the audience rattle her that much?!? Wouldn’t Willow be more focused on her stupid, doofus  husband than some rando in the audience. Are they checking all the “plus ones” to make sure they like them first?!? Come on! Millow are perfect for each other. They are both pathetic and hold grudges for life!! Nothing that happened with Nina or Sonny was that serious, IMO, or justifies this longstanding hate. And Willow is a massive hypocrite. Michael should forgive Sonny but Willow can’t give Nina - the woman who gave birth to her - a second chance?!?!? Nina can’t even be at her crap wedding?!? Ugh! 

I wish Nina would drop this useless chick. She needs to stop worrying about Willow!!! Willow is not worth Nina’s time or love! 

I’m surprised they gave Gregory a diagnosis this quick. ALS is a horrible disease!!! GH sure is depressing! They could have given him something less tragic or curable!!  

Why was Chase asking where Brook Lynn went?!?! He made it clear that he wants nothing to do with her so she left!  Why would she stick around? That’s what I would love to see from Nina! Take the hint and move on with your life! 

That Valentin/Nina scene was nice! 

And, Sonny, wake up! Your son doesn’t love you and probably never truly did since he can turn it off so easily. Why did you think you would be invited to his wedding?!?! I’m gonna need SoNa to WAKE UP! 

Edited by lala2
  • Like 6
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, ffwbe said:

I think Jeff Kober/Cyrus was one of the best actors that has ever been on GH. 

Gregory Harrison--Gregory--is fine, but kind of boring. But I'm not sure that's his fault, the writing for him so far has been non existent. He once led a primetime show, tho, so I imagine he can do more when they give him more. 

Agree that Dex is painful to watch. 

I'd have no problem with Michael hating Sonny if it was about him, you know, MURDERING his biological father, but no. He's mad because...hell, I don't even know anymore. Cuz he likes Nina better than Mommy. Or something. 

• Like 11
  • Applause 3
  • Love 5

Willow’s insistence to Michael inviting Sonny is probably only so he’ll bring Nina and Willow can have a meltdown over it. She’s just as miserable and obsessed as he is. If anyone is a perfect match, it’s Michael and Willow

• Like 8
  • Applause 5

The good: Robert and Diane and Holly and Felicia. Fun!  And yay, Tracy is back!

The bad: all things Millowtonin. Seriously Willow? You want Sonny at the wedding but can’t muster enough feeling for your Mother!  And honestly, if Michael truly felt Sonny was a danger to everyone and wants him to rot in prison, then wouldn’t he do everything to keep him away from the entire family? Especially the young ones? 
And Gregory, maybe giving your children time to deal with your illness and figure out how they will take care of you is kinder then springing it on them at the last minute when you are at a point were they have to scramble for nursing care and deal with their emotions all at once.

I don’t have high hopes for new Ethan. His expressions ranged from looking high and, well, that was it.

• Like 8
  • LOL 2
33 minutes ago, lala2 said:

I’m surprised they gave Gregory a diagnosis this quick. ALS is a horrible disease!!! GH sure is depressing! They could have given him something less tragic or curable!!  

Oh heck, i was right. I though it was ALS. honestly, I am kind of glad for it (but then I've always stated that I am always for heavy illnesses on GH and unlike Willow's stupid cancer, they can't really hand-wave it away.  I was (story)happy that Britt actually had Huntingdons, but pissed off that they killed her before they could actually do some stories with it. I am hoping that the Brothers Awesome can have some heavy hitting story with Gregory with this. 

I am so over Willow, if she's is the line, it's a dot for me. Sonny has to be at the wedding because it will cement them as family, but NINA will never have a relationship with her as far as she is concerned, but her son who LOVES Nina to pieces can't see her at the same said wedding? 

Drop. Dead. Willow..

Legit. honestly, Victor, please stay hidden as long as you can until Willow dies. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 6
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, jqdeco said:

And Gregory, maybe giving your children time to deal with your illness and figure out how they will take care of you is kinder then springing it on them at the last minute when you are at a point were they have to scramble for nursing care and deal with their emotions all at once.

exactly!  My experiences with old/sick people lately who "don't want to be a burden" and won't accept help is that they are making everything 100x harder for the families. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 6
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Blackie said:

exactly!  My experiences with old/sick people lately who "don't want to be a burden" and won't accept help is that they are making everything 100x harder for the families. 

my mom didn't tell me she had breast cancer until nearly a year later (I had just moved out west for school).I was pissed off but i also saw her side (it wasn't so much being a burden etc, but more of she didn't want me to put everything aside because of her.  So i kind of see it both ways. Gregory should say something esp. because he has a diagnosis. but i can see why he doesn't want to either. but he should still do it. 

• Hugs 6

I honestly can't take much more of this Willow hating Nina and making her suffer while Carly smirks storyline.  I thought they were moving away from that but I guess the Facebook Frannies whose husbands cheated on them and want to watch Nina suffer for a vicarious revenge thrill won. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 8
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, Daisy said:

my mom didn't tell me she had breast cancer until nearly a year later (I had just moved out west for school).I was pissed off but i also saw her side (it wasn't so much being a burden etc, but more of she didn't want me to put everything aside because of her.  So i kind of see it both ways. Gregory should say something esp. because he has a diagnosis. but i can see why he doesn't want to either. but he should still do it. 

On the one hand I get it but on the other hand, he has a degenerative disease with no cure. They’ll want to spend as much time with him as they can. Especially before the symptoms get more serious. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 4
1 minute ago, ffwbe said:

On the one hand I get it but on the other hand, he has a degenerative disease with no cure. They’ll want to spend as much time with him as they can. Especially before the symptoms get more serious. 

oh for sure. that's why he should do it. this being secret is dumb. you have a diagnosis, now it's the time to spill the beans.

• Like 6

Again with the hilarious insistent that the Haunted Star is untraceable.

Why is there a TV showing Ethan when he's sitting right in front of Holly and Felicia?

3 minutes ago, luna1122again said:

I'd have no problem with Michael hating Sonny if it was about him, you know, MURDERING his biological father, but no. He's mad because...hell, I don't even know anymore. Cuz he likes Nina better than Mommy. Or something. 

That's pretty much it. Michael is a petty infant. And Willow is giant hypocrite about Nina. It's not Nina's fault she wasn't a part of Willow's life. I hate that the show continues to have Willow ignore that. Also, Wiley and Amelia and their cousins can bond, but Wiley and his grandmother can't? Ugh.

4 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Gregory should say something esp. because he has a diagnosis. but i can see why he doesn't want to either. but he should still do it. 

Both of his sons live in Port Charles, so it's not as if anyone has to uproot his life. And with Finn being a doctor, he can maybe help cut through some of the red tape or info dumps that will come. It's a selfish, stupid choice given Gregory's circumstances.

Great to see Tracy again, but I prefer JE with her bob.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

What I do not understand with Michael--he is mad because Nina kept Sonny away from his family for "9 months" but he is trying to keep Sonny from Donna and Avery forever.  So does that mean they can be mad at Michael forever??  This story is so stupid (even for this show)

• Like 5
  • Applause 9
30 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Drop. Dead. Willow..

Please. Her dying ass looks as fresh as a freakin' daisy. Her pettiness toward Nina and her hatred of her probably killed the leukemia.

Tracy's return was underwhelming. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 5
1 hour ago, lala2 said:

Millow are perfect for each other. They are both pathetic and hold grudges for life!!

Would think that literally being on deaths door would put some things in perspective for these two assholes but nope.  Jesus, Michael didn’t even hold a grudge against Sonny this long when he found out Sonny killed AJ!  It’s stupid.  Especially since the injured partied seem to be doing just fine.

4 hours ago, ffwbe said:

I like both those actors and their characters as well.  I think they both do/did the best they can with the material given.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
14 minutes ago, Daisy said:
16 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

oh for sure. that's why he should do it. this being secret is dumb. you have a diagnosis, now it's the time to spill the beans.

That’s kind of how I see it too. It would be a little different if he was trying to get treatment privately or there was some chance he could get better, but there isn’t.  He’s not going to recover from this. The more he prolongs telling his sons is just more time he’s wasting

p.s. I’m sorry for what you went through with your mom @Daisy!  My mom also had cancer and it’s hard, on a lot of levels, especially if it’s a complicated relationship like ours is.

• Hugs 4
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, blondiek237 said:

What I do not understand with Michael--he is mad because Nina kept Sonny away from his family for "9 months" but he is trying to keep Sonny from Donna and Avery forever.  So does that mean they can be mad at Michael forever??  This story is so stupid (even for this show)

honestly, he's just ticked off that Sonny chose Nina over carly at this point

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Why is there a TV showing Ethan when he's sitting right in front of Holly and Felicia?

It's a broadcast internet auction.  Bidders can be online or in person.

• Useful 1
Just now, mostlylurking said:

That’s kind of how I see it too. It would be a little different if he was trying to get treatment privately or there was some chance he could get better, but there isn’t.  He’s not going to recover from this. The more he prolongs telling his sons is just more time he’s wasting

p.s. I’m sorry for what you went through with your mom @Daisy!  My mom also had cancer and it’s hard, on a lot of levels, especially if it’s a complicated relationship like ours is.

yeah,  I am watching as i reply so basically i got there, and I do get his reasoning. He wants his kids to live before they have to take care of his broken body. My mom and her sibs had to do that with my grandpa (he had parkinsons + cancer). ad it got to the point he was basically just a shell and it was a toll on them. 

same with my mom. it was such just drama for me to go back to school and then move 1/2 a country away so i get why my mom didn't want to tell me beecause i legit would have dropped out and taken care of her. she only told me because she had to have surgery and no one was available to really help her like I would have. two years later when she said she had enough and needed me I quit my job the next day and moved back home. it did/has hurt my career etc because all my contacts/references were out west but i would do it again in a heartbeat. it's my MOM.  [also thanks :) ]. so like i REALLY do get what Gregory is saying. but because it's NOT cancer and it is gonna get worse.. let them + violet soak up as much non impacted ALS time as they can.  it really stopped being about you the moment you got the diagnosis, Gregory. 

Don't be a Willow.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 4
  • Applause 2
9 minutes ago, ciarra said:
25 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Bidding on who gets to kill him?  Yeesh.  That’s very purge-like and dark.

• Like 7

Diane:  "I never felt so appreciated [until Spinelli hugged me]."  And that right there is why Robert needs someone better. Much better. For me, trying to get them together is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Nice to see JE again. But the Holly and Felicia shenanigans made no sense. This was Holly's plan?

Ethan got out of the tie on his hands but instead of using the cord to strangle the thug which would have been smart and efficient, he punches him instead. Why I am okay with Ethan being Luke's son rather than Robert's.

So sorry about your ALS Gregory. Here, have some treatments that you're avoiding. Do not go gentle into that good night. Made plans for sticking around as long as you can.

Dante, why are you and Chase hanging around drinking coffee while the giant Haunted Star is missing?  Talk about terrible pacing as we're endlessly stuck on Millow's wedding while Spencer's, Trina's Ace's and Obrecht's lives are all in danger.

Willow is really the worst.

1 hour ago, luna1122again said:

I think Jeff Kober/Cyrus was one of the best actors that has ever been on GH.

Both he and Gregory Harrison are good actors but they can't make gold out of the dreck the writers give them. Even CS couldn't make Victor interesting as he sleazed about endlessly not talking about his plaaaan.

Any interest I had in Alexis and Gregory working together to solve crime is long gone,

49 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Drop. Dead. Willow..

Legit. honestly, Victor, please stay hidden as long as you can until Willow dies. 

She's just the worst. Am I supposed to think that she is this sainted person because she's trying to get Michael to reconcile with Sonny? But at the same time, she's unbelievably cruel to Nina.

Are the writers pandering to the Carly stans? They put a scene with Nina saying how much she cares about Willow right after Willow saying that Nina doesn't matter so the writers can't be unaware of how it looks.

• Like 6
  • Applause 10
21 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

.Great to see Tracy again, but I prefer JE with her bob.

She looked fabulously fierce with that bob. I miss it too.

16 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Tracy's return was underwhelming. 

Yes, the beekeeper outfit didn’t help. And NewEthan is way underwhelming so far too.

The show couldn’t do Huntington so they moved to ALS. I’m not looking forward to this because although I have enjoyed Gregory Harrison in many roles, he does “beach bum” or similar type roles way better than granddad professor.

It also reminds me very much of Michael Zaslow who was a titan on Guiding Light and was offered a role on OLTL late in his ALS journey (IIRC to help him keep his health insurance). It is a vicous and cruel disease and I’d rather not see it playing out on GH even if it is as ridiculously done as the current cancer story.

Lastly, when it comes to actors from other mediums moving to soaps, I’m fervently #TeamJeffKober.

• Like 9
  • Hugs 1
26 minutes ago, ciarra said:

I know that, but it seems weird that the TV is so prominently placed with Holly and Felicia two feet away from Ethan. And they were the only ones in that room.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Blackie said:

So much so I must have blinked and missed it. Was it right at the end?

It was the final minutes. Tracy comes in swathed in white and a giant hat, it gets knocked off and Felicia and Holly recognize her, the auctioneer thinks they're all in it together so he has them restrained, but Ethan gets out of his hand ties and they all clock the goons enough to escape.

Gregory's sekrit illness is the third one in about a year. How about shaking things up a bit, Show, and having him tell his sons sooner rather than later than he has ALS?

• Like 2

When Willow was talking to Michael about how he has siblings and she didn't, I just kept thinking how Michael was with her twin and half sister. Well that and also how I want her dead.

• Like 1
  • LOL 14
On 4/16/2023 at 2:43 PM, norahs99 said:

i like her. YMMV

I do too, at least in her scenes as commish. She lends a welcome gravitas to disaster/PCPD scenes where other people are frantic or obnoxious. In real life I'd probably find that comforting. The character hasn't had much of a social life since she took over the role, but at least her deadpan manner makes Curtis look like even more of a doofus when he's taking shit out on her. 

• LOL 8

I wasn't watching back then but I'm starting to sympathize with the GH fans who keep agitating for Nelle's return. I want Nina to have a daughter who doesnt hate her for wanting a few hours a week with her grandson. I want Nelle to get custody of the demon spawn and move into Nina's spare room. I want Willow to be so jealous she goes off the deep end and ruins her relationship with the Carlys. 

Oh, I also want a pony.

• Like 9
  • Applause 6
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, CeChase said:

I honestly can't take much more of this Willow hating Nina and making her suffer while Carly smirks storyline.  I thought they were moving away from that but I guess the Facebook Frannies whose husbands cheated on them and want to watch Nina suffer for a vicarious revenge thrill won. 

I'm tired of it because like..  per usual every hoop that Willow puts up, Nina jumps through it willingly and and then they still talk poop about her. we saw it all up until the point where she was going to give up her grandparental rights. [and i really think the show needs to remind Willow that Nina was going to do it - until Col. Sanders & Ava flat out told her no, don't be dumb],  and now again, Willow is all don't talk/ask about the children, don't ask me about my personal life and then they both are like "Well Nina doesn't understand boundaries?". shut the crap up. 

Seriously. just, I would give anything that Lisel wasn't kidnapped, and both she & Nina were hearing Willow today and then they both say "okay screw you." and then they go to France and get fat off baguettes and brie and pate. [yes i'm back on the France train LOL]. 

1 hour ago, Cheyanne11 said:

That's always been the reason.  

yeah. really would love it if someone would clap that truth over his dumbass head too. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

If BLQ now plays hard-to-get with Chase and I have to watch 6 months of him mooning over her, I will gouge my eyes out! 

Glad to see them giving Felicia so much to do lately. She is rightly dubious of Holly's plan, and then just calmly bashes the thug's skull in so they can escape. ~She is a way better spy than Anna!

• Like 9
  • Applause 3
  • Love 5

Years ago, I was a huge fan of Holly’s. I know she had Covid or something that has affected her acting and am sorry about that. Her acting the past few days has been just awful. Her huge eyes betray her emotions every single time. Is it possible that TPTB have hired her to provide health insurance for her? If so, I wouldn’t blame them for offering or her for accepting. I’m not ready to see a lot of her in the future.

• Like 2