Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Linny said:

before they're having hot sex in the halls of Wyndemere

I read this as "against the walls of Wyndmemere" and I was all, hell yeah, that would be hot!!

I thought Marcus and Maura had a special chemistry today.  Maura usually has chemistry with everyone, so it's not hard to see it from her, but I was finally seeing something interesting with MC today in their scenes.  Me thinks they would be hawt when they get over the codicil/post nup discussions.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Wow, Lulu, gracious of you to admit Brook Lyn doesn't deserve to be groped against her will.

Ned is really leaning in to the whole tough love thing with BL.

Vernee Watson-Johnson was in the opening credits today, so I guess Stella is back for a while?

Was Carly actually impressed with Ava's maneuverings? She looked it. 

And Nik. Nik, Nik, Nik. Did you really think Aa wouldn't try to get as much as possible from this marriage? Why are you so surprised? He's an idiot.

I loved Nelle's ultracalm reactions to everyone, as well as the continual mention of Shiloh to drive everyone nuts.

Michael's face during the meeting was hilarious: "What is Brook Lynn talking about? I don't understand," and Tracy was like, "What is she up to? How can I use it to my advantage?" How is Michael qualified to run the coffee kiosk, let alone a multinational corporation? Good grief.

I really wish Stella told Sonny point-blank that he wanted to enter Mike in the trial for his (Sonny's) sake, not Mike's. She wasn't nearly blunt enough when she told him Mike's surroundings were what anchored him now. 

• Love 5

i wonder if Laura Wright is about ready to tell them to ditch the boyfriend if it meant she got some sort of material that required yelling again (and not at Josslyn).

Tracy not remembering Leo's name was hilarious. 

Edited by ulkis
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

Why is Detective Chase being paged to the scene of a minor bar scuffle? 

I hate that slack jaw thing CD does with his chin. It makes him look like he is always thinking "duh".  

Well, damn, I was hoping Shiloh's twin brother, the heart surgeon, would show up at the memorial and get a job at GH.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I still hate the Q residence reno.  The awful cloud painting (with bats or the Stealth bomber), the blue and white ginger jar, which pops up at Wyndemere.  The stairway and front door in the wrong place.  The faux marble look.  Everything looks cheap.

• Love 8

I fell behind, but ah, Brook Lynn QUARTERMAINE has a past with Dustin?  I can get behind that and push.

(OLTL friends - I've racked my brain, but I can not think of one time Kim and Brody crossed paths in Llanview.  Was there an interaction I'm forgetting?).

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Hey Michael, just a thought - you might want to turn to Tracy for help because she alone (if still written in character!) is better equipped to deal with Nelle scheming about Shiloh's ELQ shares than the other living Qs combined. 

Michael be dumb though. Like, for real. 

Okay, quasi shipping Chase and Brooke now.  And I don't ship, because my ships have always sank like the Titanic. So maybe I shouldn't. But in for a penny and all that.

7 hours ago, Linny said:

human shrug-emoji Michael,

New T-SHIRT !!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Vernee Watson-Johnson was in the opening credits today, so I guess Stella is back for a while?

Good news for me. I have always liked the character (even in her early I'm-just-here-to-hate-Jordan incarnation), but I love Vernee. I always can tell I'm watching a real actress who has done her work and is going to get everything there is to get out of her lines and scenes. Also, she's a lovely mature woman in a natural way that leaves expression in her face, which isn't something I can say about some others in her age group on daytime. (Or prime time. Or movies.) 

5 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I hate that slack jaw thing CD does with his chin. It makes him look like he is always thinking "duh".  

Duelly sounds smart (in his line readings), but yeah, he can look dumb.

4 hours ago, IWantCandy71 said:

Okay, quasi shipping Chase and Brooke now. 

"Brace"? 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

Good news for me. I have always liked the character (even in her early I'm-just-here-to-hate-Jordan incarnation), but I love Vernee. I always can tell I'm watching a real actress who has done her work and is going to get everything there is to get out of her lines and scenes. Also, she's a lovely mature woman in a natural way that leaves expression in her face, which isn't something I can say about some others in her age group on daytime. (Or prime time. Or movies.) 

Or reality TV, the biggest Botox/filler fans of all 😆

I will say though that, while MW does seem to get a lot of things done to her face (she does look great nevertheless especially with little or no makeup) it speaks a lot to her talent that as Ava she can emote so well without moving her eyebrows.  Unlike KeMo, who can move her whole face but can only show ‘tired’ or ‘constipated’ and maybe sometimes on a good day, both at once.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

Brace

I have never been all in to the squish name thing. Most of them come across as not doing the couples any favors. But if we must, I'd rather a play on his actual first name, and hers, or both their last names.

Isn't it Harrison, after William Henry Harrison ? 

So, it could be "Hook".

Or "Charter" Or Chain.. I am really bad at those. 

I think I like Hook, but I will probably just refer to them as themselves because yes again the squish name thing has always kind of been silly to me. 

Then again, "Scrubs" wasn't a squish name, but they were both doctors. I guess if Brook were a fellow police officer, you could do "Cuffs". But she isn't one, so we're back at square one.

• Love 2

I don’t like the squish names, either.  It’s all so stupid.  Some of them are clever, but most of them are not.

And yes, his name is Harrison which is what I call him because that is a way better name than Chase.  Was it ever explained why he and Finn go by different last names?  Or why they go by their last names in the first place?

Edited by superdeluxe
49 minutes ago, superdeluxe said:

Was it ever explained why he and Finn go by different last names?  Or why they go by their last names in the first place?

Finn changed his last name to his mother's maiden name because he was pissed that dear old Dad had married Chase's mom so soon after his wife's death.  So techically, they should be Harrison and Hamilton Chase, but are Detective Harrison Chase and Doctor Hamilton Finn.  Why they both use their last names instead of their first is unkown, but then, so does Jax.  

• Useful 2

I'm not fond of anything "cutsie" so the name smashes fall flat for me, too.  The absolutely worst one (imo) was "Liason" because they fucking misspelled the word liaison and you just know that wasn't intentional.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, IWantCandy71 said:

Then again, "Scrubs" wasn't a squish name, but they were both doctors. I guess if Brook were a fellow police officer, you could do "Cuffs". But she isn't one, so we're back at square one.

That's a name I never really liked. I wasn't a fan of the sitcom of that name, which is where I assumed it came from, as it was airing at the time. I usually just called them "Robin and Patrick." 

I'm not fond of anything "cutsie" so the name smashes fall flat for me, too.  The absolutely worst one (imo) was "Liason" because they fucking misspelled the word liaison and you just know that wasn't intentional.

It was better than what people who didn't like them called them ("Jiz").  

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Asp Burger said:
12 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Duelly sounds smart (in his line readings), but yeah, he can look dumb.

Sonny is the master of the duh face, so...

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Asp Burger said:

It was better than what people who didn't like them called them ("Jiz").  

You make my point beautifully!  That's a twofer -- two terrible smashes for one couple.  LOL!

• Love 1

I think Dream was probably my favorite ship name, and it was, in hindsight, such a dream to think it would last.  /sigh

OTOH

Spoiler

soily 

is probably the most appropriate in history, because.... /shiver

Edited by ouinason
disturbing thoughts
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Was Carly actually impressed with Ava's maneuverings? She looked it. 

She seems impressed that Ava has given herself the opportunity to torture Nikolas for "haunting"/taunting her about the late Kiki, and is also gleeful at the idea that Nik would kill, or at least try to kill, Ava to end the marriage because she has wanted Ava out of their lives since finding out Ava's role in Morgan's presumed death.  Carly is probably remembering how she schemed to get what she wanted regarding AJ. I imagine she is thinking, "Well Ava's scheme to get Nikolas exactly where she wants him is something I would do, so she has my grudging respect in this moment."

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

She seems impressed that Ava has given herself the opportunity to torture Nikolas for "haunting"/taunting her about the late Kiki, and is also gleeful at the idea that Nik would kill, or at least try to kill, Ava to end the marriage because she has wanted Ava out of their lives since finding out Ava's role in Morgan's presumed death.  Carly is probably remembering how she schemed to get what she wanted regarding AJ. I imagine she is thinking, "Well Ava's scheme to get Nikolas exactly where she wants him is something I would do, so she has my grudging respect in this moment."

I doubt it, Carly is not that introspective

• Love 1

True Confession Time:  In the 90s, I was obsessed with the Canadian version of La Femme Nikita.  God, that show was so good.  

BFF talked me back into GH after I had joined the military, been in the First Gulf War, and lost touch with US television.

So -- La Femme Nikita as baggage -- I was introduced to Jason and Courtney and loved it.  Just loved it.  I still think it was a neat formula and (for a soap opera) they did it justice.  Then, of course, the story went off the rails.  But for a while there, I really enjoyed it.

Therefore, I have a soft spot for Jason, his back story, and all the Corinthii.

True dat.

Anyway, I devolved into "favorite pairings" there for a second and that is not on topic.  I will hopefully be able to watch today and will comment on that.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 2

Journey was a good name for a couple too, though I didn't care for that pairing much, it annoyed me that AJ was ... well, we all know what this show has done to AJ over the years.  And, I was PISSED, and kind of still am, that Jason's drugged up wife ran Elizabeth over WITH A CAR and temporarily BLINDED AN ARTIST, and he really didn't give many fucks, just wanted to protect his ho.  Fuck that!

This is when I started to hate Jason, and finally gave up any hope of having a Liason I would like.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, ouinason said:

I think Dream was probably my favorite ship name, and it was, in hindsight, such a dream to think it would last.  /sigh

Heh, I almost pressed post before on how I thought Dream was the worst one cause it was so corny. 😛 Especially for a couple made up of Kelly "says fuck every other word" Monaco.

Edited by ulkis
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

FYI, all the drama at the Q mansion involving Nelle did not air due to 45 min of impeachment trial coverage.  You get to see/hear Jasam angst, hear Carly tell Jason he's a hero, and Brook refer to Sonny as the "sweetest" to a room of her own family. I don't care about Ned being proud about how she handled Nelle.

"I hope I get my real brother back." Did that sting, Nikolas?

"It's a little his fault." Love ya, Tracy. At least Michael acknowledges Tracy is right.

Carly calling Gladys despicable to her face made me wish a lighting bolt would come through the ceiling and strike her dead for the hypocrisy.

I think Perkie was right about Julian and Alexis. I almost laughed at the vision board Nelle made and brought with her to crash at Casa Brucas.

I legit gasped that Taggart is back in Sonny's face (preview)!! Same actor we all remember!!

Btw, the Show ran an announcement on screen that today's episode will run on abc.com after 8 pm.

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

I had hopes of better writing with the new head writers but today's episode dashed them. Tracy was awesome but Brook Lynn came off as a low class fishwife confronting Nelle. It should be the other way around, Nelle appearing like trailer trash and Brook Lynn coming with class but Nelle got the honors in that scene. Most of the scenes with the Quartermaines pretty much showed them badly. Brook Lynn saying that "Sonny is the sweetest " made me want to throw up.

I don't understand why Jason can't see the kids now that he can't see Sam but whatevah.

I'm glad Lulu tore a strip off Nik for making Laura and Spencer think he is dead for 3 years.

46 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Carly calling Gladys despicable to her face made me wish a lighting bolt would come through the ceiling and strike her dead for the hypocrisy.

Especially when she said that Gladys trying to pretend that she's Dev's grandmother makes her sick. You mean like you try to pretend that you are Avery's mother, Carly?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Bringonthedrama said:

I legit gasped that Taggart is back in Sonny's face (preview)!! Same actor we all remember!!

giphy.gif

50 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I don't understand why Jason can't see the kids now that he can't see Sam but whatevah.

Same old shit, same retconning on a daily basis, because Diane TOLD them, when Sam was whining about how UNFAIR!!! it was that she couldn't be with Jason, that the only time they could be "together" was when he would come to pretend to see/visit the children.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, seasons said:

Hmmmm. Brook Lynn vs Nelle is pretty good, though! Both actresses are very good to make me hate them so much!

Lol Michael Knight with his "tad" reference!

That's at least the second one I caught in the last few weeks, but I'm sure more have been slipped in.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

I knew the show was biting itself in the ass by making Stella's first love be a "Marcus." But I guess it won't matter having two Marcuses around since everyone calls the cop "Taggart" anyway.

• Love 1

Hey now, Sonny just wants to spend time with his severely declining father in their old neighborhood ....and, you know, take a meeting with mob kingpins while there. What's the biggie? 

I hope they didn't just bring Nelle back to have someone murder her. Cuz against the Corinthii, I am team Nelle. 

• Love 8
On 1/14/2020 at 11:23 PM, nilyank said:

Let's see:

•  Abby the stripper killed by a crane in another state while talking to Michael
  • Starr leaves town mysteriously not knowing  a doppelgänger shows up later who friends call her Kiki
  • Kiki killed by a serial killer a few years after they broke up
  • Sabrina killed by another serial killer after she left him to marry her old boyfriend
  • Penny and Rosalie were each basically one night stands because of Kiki
  • Nelle batshit crazy and a killer to boot
  • Sasha so far....still not dead 

But one near-miss! And that was definitely by association with Michael.

• Love 1

Oh Sonny, you poor delusional fool. Bensonhurst is not Italian anymore. It’s mostly Chinese with a smattering of Russian, Mexican and Muslim. It hasn’t been Italian in at least 15 years. I mean sure there are still some left, but it isn’t the neighborhood you grew up in.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
41 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

I hope they didn't just bring Nelle back to have someone murder her.

I feel that this is where it's going when she showed up at Brad's.  There is no one in her corner other than her lawyer and he just wants to get paid.  which would be sad to lose CL

11 hours ago, superdeluxe said:

I don’t like the squish names, either.  It’s all so stupid.  Some of them are clever, but most of them are not.

And yes, his name is Harrison which is what I call him because that is a way better name than Chase.  Was it ever explained why he and Finn go by different last names?  Or why they go by their last names in the first place?

I think the fact that they go by their last names is just supposed to be something quirky and fun. No, I don't 'think they've ever said how or why they have different last names, since they have the same father. 

Everytime I hear Chase, I think of Paw Patrol. LOL So that doesn't help. I like Harrison better too, but it's a mouthful, and "Harry" doesn't fit him. So Chase it is, I guess.

Today was old school Qs and I LOVED it. The only thing better would be Dillon back and maybe Lila Rae and maybe Maya ? If they are truly gonna bring back the Qs, you have to have some Wards. 

Edited by IWantCandy71
10 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

That's a name I never really liked. I wasn't a fan of the sitcom of that name, which is where I assumed it came from, as it was airing at the time. I usually just called them "Robin and Patrick." 

Hated the sitcom, didn't like Scrubs as a couple, either. But that name. Even if I had liked them, that idiotic nick name would have killed the love with fire. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, ulkis said:

Heh, I almost pressed post before on how I thought Dream was the worst one cause it was so corny. 😛

That name did not fit them, at all.

The corniness-that's a better word of why I've never liked using squish names.  It's like, second hand embarrassment. 

I mean, like Brady and Nicole on Days, "Bricole". That's not a name or a word, people. 

6 hours ago, IWantCandy71 said:

The corniness-that's a better word of why I've never liked using squish names.  It's like, second hand embarrassment. 

I mean, like Brady and Nicole on Days, "Bricole". That's not a name or a word, people. 

I don't mind squish names for expediency, I just think people try too hard with them sometimes.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 5

Ok, writers!!! Bringing back Taggart is a real kickass move. Might I suggest an implied Carly/Taggart hookup just to scramble Sonny's brain? 

I can see the writers putting forth effort and I appreciate all of the old school cliffhanger we've been getting. Good job.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, paisley said:

Ok, writers!!! Bringing back Taggart is a real kickass move. Might I suggest an implied Carly/Taggart hookup just to scramble Sonny's brain? 

I can see the writers putting forth effort and I appreciate all of the old school cliffhanger we've been getting. Good job.

NO! I do NOT want this SHEBEAST anywhere NEAR the Awesome that is Taggart!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

"Please be careful." "I always am." Oh, Sam, if that's what you call being careful:

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

I knew the show was biting itself in the ass by making Stella's first love be a "Marcus." But I guess it won't matter having two Marcuses around since everyone calls the cop "Taggart" anyway.

We speculated when Stella first mentioned Marcus that it could be our beloved Taggart.

Gross that Lulu brought up Laura's mental illness when talking to Nik.

6 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Because you always need a wimmins with you when there are kids around. 

LOL at everyone pounding on Brad's door. Get a doorbell!

I watched the show online, and there was no Taggart. Was he in the promo?

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I don't mind squish names for expediency, I just think people try to hard with them sometimes, heh.

I guess  it is easier to type out Scrubs rather  than typing out Patrick and Robin. 

ITA people try too hard with them- I mean, Lulu and Dustin, "Lustin". Stop the insanity. Please.

Parry Shen looks GREAT. Except for that hair. What is up with the hairstyles on all the guys these days ? Both GH and DOOL.  Like, shaved on the sides and like IDK what on the top. just horrible. 

I forgot to mention I agree with some of the comments up above-this is all setting up Nell's murder, isn't it ? I don't see the girl lasting past February sweeps. Would be awesome if they did a twist on Murder on the Orient Express with it. The very first time I ever read that story, at the end, I was like "well, crap". That surprised me. I would love a good murder mystery where we are surprised at who did it. 

• Love 1

Nice to see Taggart back, but is this time around really going to be different?  He was as ineffectual as Margaux Dawson, and all the others* who vowed they would put Sonny behind bars. 

*including Dante

• Love 2
4 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Hey now, Sonny just wants to spend time with his severely declining father in their old neighborhood ....and, you know, take a meeting with mob kingpins while there. What's the biggie? 

It's called multi-tasking and you don't get to be the biggest crime boss on the eastern seaboard* without some skills.

Sam: Nelle just married Shiloh for his money. 

Me: How did your head not explode from the hypocrisy of YOU, Queen of the Many Marriages to Wealthy Men to Get Their Money, utterly that? 

Carly is such a bitch.  What did Gladys ever do to her to make her treat her the way she does? 

Oh, and I'm sorry, but Olivia acting like a Q since birth sits wrong with me. 

*Allegedly (tm Silas Clay)

Edited by Cheyanne11
  • Love 7