Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Cake and Bread Week

• Start Topic

These hosts are awful.   Emma walking with her hands on her hips at the beginning was absurd.  Sherry has lost a lot of weight and looks really different.   

Alex, the 80s called and they want their one dangly earring look back.

• LOL 7
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Maverick said:

These hosts are awful.   Emma walking with her hands on her hips at the beginning was absurd. 

They really need to replace the hosts, they drag the show down. I'm glad it wasn't just me getting annoyed by Emma walking with her hands on her hips, & then when she stopped, she posed with one foot in front of the other. You're walking in grass, not walking the red carpet Emma, you look ridiculous.

I think the bakers are better than the ones last year (which were terrible), we'll see how they hold up.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, GaT said:

They really need to replace the hosts, they drag the show down. I'm glad it wasn't just me getting annoyed by Emma walking with her hands on her hips, & then when she stopped, she posed with one foot in front of the other. You're walking in grass, not walking the red carpet Emma, you look ridiculous.

I think the bakers are better than the ones last year (which were terrible), we'll see how they hold up.

I enjoyed it but I love baking shows. I also like the hosts. I didn't notice the hips and posing.

I will say, these bakers seemed to have more knowledge than the ones on the last GBBO. I didn't hear one "I don't make bread". Overall a very talented group.

8 hours ago, Maverick said:

These hosts are awful.   Emma walking with her hands on her hips at the beginning was absurd.  Sherry has lost a lot of weight and looks really different.   

Alex, the 80s called and they want their one dangly earring look back.

I thought so.

• Love 12

I fell asleep during the bread showstopper, so I have no idea who was sent home during the second half.

The hosts are bad. I've never seen this version before so I didn't recognize the names. At first, because I wasn't focusing, I thought the name I read was Anthony Andrews and I thought *how* could he do all these shows? How does he have the time? But then, as I was watching the show, I wished desperately for Andrews to show up. He's way more engaging, funny, and knows how to cook/bake!

So ... change the hosts. Get a couple of engaging comedians/pundits. Sherry doesn't have much personality either. Need somebody with a pulse.

Beyond that, it was fine.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Nidratime said:

I fell asleep during the bread showstopper, so I have no idea who was sent home during the second half.

Carlos.

The best part was hearing Paul Hollywood described as the inspiration for the Night King on Game of Thrones.  heh.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

I hate when the bakers walk in what is obviously a summer's day wearing heavy winter coats.

A handshake in the very first challenge? C'mon now...

Agree that the hosts and their 'bits' feel forced. Not necessary, IMO

Edited by OoogleEyes
Every letter in every word is important
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, OoogleEyes said:

I hate when the bakers walk in what is obviously a summer's day wearing heavy winter coats.

A handshake in the very first challenge? C'mon now...

Agree that the hosts and their 'bits' feel forced. Not necessary, IMO

I think they will settle in be next episode. I didn't mind them but I can see where some people did. I think I was concentrating more on the bakers. I liked them all. Like I said, I think they are a very talented group that know baking quite well. 

• Love 5

For the gal who dropped her bandage on the cake-- I know I know-- but REALLY shouldn't she have been able to scoop a big ladle-full of batter out? There is no way that the bodily fluids migrated more than a quarter inch away. I guess they have different rules than in my kitchen LOL.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

If I were baking for just me, I'd fish out the bandage and some batter. But for others? The baker did the right thing by starting over. She seems to have time-management issues in general, so I don't think she'll be around too much longer.

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

If I were baking for just me, I'd fish out the bandage and some batter. But for others? The baker did the right thing by starting over. She seems to have time-management issues in general, so I don't think she'll be around too much longer.

I don't think I would have wanted to eat her cake if she scooped out the bandage and batter! I agree, she has time management issues and unless she steps up to it, I think she will be the next to go. 

And thinking about it, on most of these cooking/baking shows, don't they make them wear some kind of a rubber cap or a glove to keep the bandage on? 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

And thinking about it, on most of these cooking/baking shows, don't they make them wear some kind of a rubber cap or a glove to keep the bandage on? 

Yes - I was just going to post the same thing.  I'm shocked they didn't do it, especially since the cut was at the tip of her finger, where it's easy for the bandage to slip off.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, dleighg said:

why wasn't the praline in the cake? I thought she was having trouble whipping the cream. That was left very unclear.

It was. The problem was her whipping cream not the praline. Unless she took so much time with the cream she couldn't get to the praline? But I thought they were made already. 

• Love 3

This is the first time I've watched the American version. I expected it to be  . . . more American! Why do they film this in England, in the exact same spot where they film the British version? I'm guessing they really think they need Paul Hollywood and he doesn't want to come to the U.S. to do this so they fly the American bakers over there. Very strange. They seem to be cloning the British version as much as possible. Same set, same music, same challenges, same format, even one of the same judges.

I agree they could use better hosts. Although it took me a couple of seasons to warm up to Noel and Sandi too. 

Stupid Spectrum stopped recording about 20 minutes in and I only managed to catch the last half hour after that. Who went home first? I couldn't figure it out because I didn't have enough time to really name check all ten of them.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

This is the first time I've watched the American version. I expected it to be  . . . more American! Why do they film this in England, in the exact same spot where they film the British version? I'm guessing they really think they need Paul Hollywood and he doesn't want to come to the U.S. to do this so they fly the American bakers over there. Very strange. They seem to be cloning the British version as much as possible. Same set, same music, same challenges, same format, even one of the same judges.

I agree they could use better hosts. Although it took me a couple of seasons to warm up to Noel and Sandi too. 

Stupid Spectrum stopped recording about 20 minutes in and I only managed to catch the last half hour after that. Who went home first? I couldn't figure it out because I didn't have enough time to really name check all ten of them.

A woman who's name I do not remember. 

I like that it has the British elements. It makes it different than all the baking competitions on Food Network. 

• Love 8

I can't stand Baby Spice.  She looked ridiculous doing her overly dramatic red carpet strut in the opening.  Was she channeling Madonna's "Vogue" video?  All she was missing was the Marie Antoinette hairdo and a lacy fan.

Sherry does look very different.  Her weight loss is a good and healthy thing in general, but she looks a lot older with her thinner face IMO.  Or it could be the crazy 55" HiDef 4K blah blah TV my husband just installed that is making people look "more mature".  I was used to watching a 32" 10 year old TV, so the clarity is assaulting my senses.  Makes me very happy I"m not on TV these days!

Band-Aid thing grossed me out.  I know she remade it, but the thought of it turned my stomach.

Is Brother Andrew going to cross himself and ask God for His help throughout the competition? Is it fair for God to look out for one of His employees over and above the other bakers asking for Him to make their dough proof or their cakes to rise?

• LOL 12
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

Is Brother Andrew going to cross himself and ask God for His help throughout the competition? Is it fair for God to look out for one of His employees over and above the other bakers asking for Him to make their dough proof or their cakes to rise?

and the producers clearly thought it was necessary to SHOW us every single one of his crossings. I mean, the friar's robe isn't enough to remind us he's a "man of God"?  Though I think he let slip a slightly blasphemous outburst at one point (I don't recall exactly but something like "My God" or "Lord") 🙂 I'm not criticizing, I found myself saying "Jesus Christ" when a carton of eggs burst all over me when I was helping prepare for our church's food pantry 🙂 

• LOL 10

I guess the difference between this and TGBBS is the contestants are Americans. Otherwise, it seemed pretty much the same to me, which was okay since I like TGBBS. I wasn't watching closely during the first hour so missed the posing, and that makes me happy. But I'll watch for it next episode, thank you very much everyone for pointing it out!

I liked the partridge-in-the-pear-tree bread, it was cool looking. And many of the cakes were beautiful. And so were some of the bread sticks, they looked yummy. I only recognize a couple of the contestants so far, so a religious robe and a dangly earring served their purpose for that. Everyone seems to know how to bake though, so all seem to be a good group for this show. Funny that I can watch someone mix dough for two hours and not be bored.

Oh, I did wonder if that big tent (with no sides) is heated somehow, after everyone walked in wearing winter clothes. Brrrr. And yes, what is up with football players becoming tv-show hosts. 

• Love 4

Why do shows think that ex-football players make good hosts?

Well, I assume they think name recognition will bring eyeballs to the TV screen. Trouble is, how much cross-over do you think there is between football fans and people who watch baking shows? I wouldn't guess a lot. I personally have never heard of Anthony Adams before.

I also think a lot of pro athletes get agents so they can get commentating gigs and shows like this are good "try-outs" for that sort of stuff.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, PBnJay said:

I liked the partridge-in-the-pear-tree bread, it was cool looking. And many of the cakes were beautiful. And so were some of the bread sticks, they looked yummy. I only recognize a couple of the contestants so far, so a religious robe and a dangly earring served their purpose for that.Everyone seems to know how to bake though, so all seem to be a good group for this show. Funny that I can watch someone mix dough for two hours and not be bored.

I'm the same way! My husband can't imagine why I find it so interesting, but when I watched the British Baking on Netflix when it dropped, he was into it. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 4

Sally (long silver hair) is from my town, so yay! 

This was filmed last summer so it's weird to see them bundled up in winter this when it's really summer in England. Notice all the green outside the tent.

• Love 7

I really like Tanya and Dana, but Alex and Brother Andrew annoy me.  

That's about it so far for the contestants.  I loved the breadsticks challenge.  That's a new one and I can see them doing it in the Brit version.  

Paul is delicious as always.    

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

It can be chilly in summer in England. No one's faking it with a puffer coat (yet).

5 hours ago, dleighg said:
6 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

and the producers clearly thought it was necessary to SHOW us every single one of his crossings. I mean, the friar's robe isn't enough to remind us he's a "man of God"? 

I  hope they dial back on all of this from now on. I also think Brother Andrew is leaning into it. We get it. Sheesh.

One thing I'm really liking is how the bakers are so wildly inconsistent from bake to bake. It makes it very difficult to predict who will win or go home. 

• Love 10
10 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

The problem was her whipping cream not the praline. Unless she took so much time with the cream she couldn't get to the praline? But I thought they were made already. 

I thought what happened was she made praline whipped cream, then it didn't work, so she made regular whipped cream as a redo because she had no more praline to put in the second batch.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, leighdear said:

I really like Tanya and Dana, but Alex and Brother Andrew annoy me.  

That's about it so far for the contestants.  I loved the breadsticks challenge.  That's a new one and I can see them doing it in the Brit version.  

Paul is delicious as always.    

I seem to remember them doing bread sticks on GB but it was a few seasons back.

14 hours ago, rhys said:

Sally (long silver hair) is from my town, so yay! 

This was filmed last summer so it's weird to see them bundled up in winter this when it's really summer in England. Notice all the green outside the tent.

I like Sally, but I actually like all of them.

• Love 3

I think this version of the series is pretty awful. Horrible hosts (who the hell is the uncomfortable football guy and how did he wander onto a baking show?).  Blinding white Chiclet teeth. Bad wig. A couple of unskilled bakers. Fake winter. Paul H. going through the motions and cheapening the handshake. Very fast interactions and edits - cheaper production (see football guy).

when she stopped, she posed with one foot in front of the other.

Every. single. time. My gawd.

And the quivering humble brother (from my town). Stop with the manic crossing.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 5

Maybe I misinterpreted, but I took Brother Andrew's crossing himself to be more of a "bless this food" kind of a thing. And yes, while I do think he was also probably praying for help, it might be more of a reflex. I wonder how the stress of the competition is for him, since I would imagine he doesn't get as much stress in his day-to-day life. 

I've seen both the British and Canadian versions, but didn't realize there was an American one.

I thought the hosts were fine. I like that they try the food with the judges. I wonder why Sandi and Noel (British hosts) don't. 

• Love 4

This kind of pales to the other versions. Only a few of the contestants, and none of the bakes really stood out to me. I'm getting tired of Paul's "blue steel" glare. He does know his stuff, but can't we get a fresh judge for this version. The lady judge seem very knowledgeable. 

There is really no excuse for having boring/pedestrian hosts. I mean there must be thousands of enjoyable presenters/comedians who would take this job. Baby Spice is at best serviceable as a narrator. The male host adds absoutely nothing and actually detracts with his forced humor and awkwardness. I felt for those poor bakers having to try to muster a chuckle at his lame antics. 

Hopefully, it gets better from here.

• Love 5

Man, I don't know if it's because I've recently finished both the UK version's and the french version's most recent seasons, but i'm really not impressed by those american contestants (and by Paul giving out handshakes every episode or so).

Hopefully it'll get better.

• Love 2
On 12/13/2019 at 11:38 AM, dleighg said:

I want the recipe for those 'caliente' bread sticks. They were really pretty (and got a handshake!)

I want the carbonara bread sticks. 

4 hours ago, GaT said:

Since this is filmed in England, wouldn't it be awesome if they got Sue & Mel to host this version?

Sue & Mel, like Mary Berry, split with British version of the show when they moved the show from the BBC to Channel 4 in the UK.  Love Productions USA (I guess the US arm of the British production company) is involved in the US show.  My guess is that they won't have anything to do with the US version since they chose to leave the British version. Mary hosted the first two seasons of this show and stopped when the UK switch was announced.

On 12/13/2019 at 11:56 AM, iMonrey said:

Why do they film this in England, in the exact same spot where they film the British version? I'm guessing they really think they need Paul Hollywood and he doesn't want to come to the U.S. to do this so they fly the American bakers over there.

It's interesting.  The very first iteration of this show aired on CBS years ago and starred Paul Hollywood and Marcella Valladolid as judges.  Jeff Foxworthy was the host and that was filmed in the US.  It was cancelled because of either low ratings or the affair scandal. So Paul has done a version of this show as well as some other American-based shows (he was the host of the pilot to Baker or Faker on The Food Network.)

When ABC decided to bring it back, it seems like they really wanted Mary Berry.  In order to get Mary, they agreed to film it in England.  I guess they didn't want to change the look of it for subsequent seasons which is why they continued to film there.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, nightowl said:

What type of bread was the technical challenge?  My closed captioning was off and the name didn't sound familiar. 

Cobb bread.

This was fun. No prima donnas, backstabbing or numerous sad sack stories. Just baking. 

I like Sally.

• Love 10