Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Cake and Bread Week

• Start Topic

I just watched this and was surprised to see how different people see things. I was expecting to see Brother Andrew crossing himself every 2 minutes or something. It looked like he did it as he was entering his kitchen before he started a challenge. Like someone said before me it is just automatic for him. I am Orthodox and we cross ourselves a lot so my interpretation may be different. I like Brother Andrew and the young man with the earring ( Alex)?, but the all seem like nice people who can bake a lot better that I can so whom ever wins I will be happy.

• Love 12
27 minutes ago, AZChristian said:
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Affair scandal?? Do tell!

It involved Johnny Iuzzini

Nah, as I posted above, the "affair scandal" (on CBS) was Paul Hollywood and Maria Valladolid having an affair. The thing with Johnny Iuzzini (on ABC) was a me-too thing.

https://www.eater.com/2017/12/13/16774798/abc-great-american-baking-show-johnny-iuzzini-sexual-misconduct-season-3-pulled

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 8
13 hours ago, mertensia said:

Cobb bread.

This was fun. No prima donnas, backstabbing or numerous sad sack stories. Just baking. 

I like Sally.

That is why I like this show as opposed to Master Chef, no theatrics just good and clean baking!

• Love 10
On 12/15/2019 at 1:05 AM, libgirl2 said:

I seem to remember them doing bread sticks on GB but it was a few seasons back.

I like Sally, but I actually like all of them.

Yep.  That was Series 4, back in 2013. I just watched that episode this morning.

• Love 2
On 12/14/2019 at 4:26 AM, iMonrey said:

This is the first time I've watched the American version. I expected it to be  . . . more American! Why do they film this in England, in the exact same spot where they film the British version? I'm guessing they really think they need Paul Hollywood and he doesn't want to come to the U.S. to do this so they fly the American bakers over there. Very strange. They seem to be cloning the British version as much as possible. Same set, same music, same challenges, same format, even one of the same judges.

I agree they could use better hosts. Although it took me a couple of seasons to warm up to Noel and Sandi too. 

Stupid Spectrum stopped recording about 20 minutes in and I only managed to catch the last half hour after that. Who went home first? I couldn't figure it out because I didn't have enough time to really name check all ten of them.

Helen was the first one eliminated, according to Wikipedia anyway.  I've only watched the episode once, a couple of days ago, so I don't remember her much. I'll have to watch it again now to jog my memory.

Edited by CatLover74
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, CatLover74 said:

Helen was the first one eliminated, according to Wikipedia anyway.  I've only watched the episode once, a couple of days ago, so I don't remember he much. I'll have to watch it again now to jog my memory.

Usually the first person to go is easily forgotten unless they do something really bad. 

• Love 3
On 12/13/2019 at 1:48 PM, BusyOctober said:

Sherry does look very different.  Her weight loss is a good and healthy thing in general, but she looks a lot older with her thinner face IMO.  Or it could be the crazy 55" HiDef 4K blah blah TV my husband just installed that is making people look "more mature".  I was used to watching a 32" 10 year old TV, so the clarity is assaulting my senses.  Makes me very happy I"m not on TV these days!

No, I'm sorry it's not your TV. She looks uncomfortable so I find I am uncomfortable watching her. As my husband put it, she looks physically weak. What happened? I can't find anything online about her weight loss. And she's wearing too much makeup.

Because this is on a major network with commercials they are rushing thru the judging to make the show fit in an hour time slot. I prefer the British version where they take their time.

The hosts are very lame. Please get some comedians.

• Love 2

I've watched just the first hour of this episode.  I have never understood the appeal of flourless chocolate cake, and this did nothing to change my mind.  

Wonder when it was filmed?  I was in England during the heat wave, late July.  No aircon, nearly unbearable for a couple of days.

I don't mind the "hosts."  I do miss Mary Berry, though.

Edited by zoey1996
Flourless chocolate cake was in S4, E1. Sorry!
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Wonder when it was filmed?  I was in England during the heat wave, late July.  No aircon, nearly unbearable for a couple of days.

According to our newspaper, it sounds as though it was August.

• Love 1
On 12/19/2019 at 4:15 AM, lu1535 said:

No, I'm sorry it's not your TV. She looks uncomfortable so I find I am uncomfortable watching her. As my husband put it, she looks physically weak. What happened? I can't find anything online about her weight loss. And she's wearing too much makeup.

I also Googled around to see if there was anything about her weight loss, and didn't find anything.  Part of the problem is the hairstyle isn't doing her any favors.  It doesn't flatter her face at all.

That being said, I think she looks fantastic.  I hope she feels good and healthy as well!

I totally missed this first episode. Tuned in this week. As always, the bakers do not appear as talented as the British bakers. Just my opinion. I hate to see any of the bakers getting upset or teary over something going wrong. 

Sorry, I probably should have posted this in the Spice thread.

• Love 1

During Bread Week, there was a weird/wrong voice over by Baby Spice that said kneading activates the yeast. Which is not how yeast works. Yeast is already active, or it's dead. (active dry yeast rehydrates in warm water , reawakens from it's dried sleep so to speak, but that has nothing to do with kneading really, for example - no knead bread, the yeast is still doing its thing. ) Also what "activates" yeast and by activate I assume they mean "causes a chemical reaction" is sugar. Whether it's sugar in the flour or added sugar to the dough -  but um, whatever show. 

The casting application for the show mentioned commitment dates of July 30-August 24. 

The first week of cakes I was not impressed but the contestants are growing on me starting with bread week. I do think their flavor profiles aren't as interesting as what you see on the UK show and the level of difficulty doesn't seem quite as hard BUT the times are quite short. 

Edited by Refresh
clarity
  • Love 8
On 12/23/2019 at 5:05 PM, Refresh said:

During Bread Week, there was a weird/wrong voice over by Baby Spice that said kneading activates the yeast. Which is not how yeast works. Yeast is already active, or it's dead. (active dry yeast rehydrates in warm water , reawakens from it's dried sleep so to speak, but that has nothing to do with kneading really, for example - no knead bread, the yeast is still doing its thing. ) Also what "activates" yeast and by activate I assume they mean "causes a chemical reaction" is sugar. Whether it's sugar in the flour or added sugar to the dough -  but um, whatever show.

Absolutely true.  Yeast are a living organism.  They digest the carbohydrates and produce carbon dioxide, which is what makes the dough rise.

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:20 AM, zoey1996 said:

I have never understood the appeal of flourless chocolate cake, and this did nothing to change my mind.  

I've done a flourless chocolate hazelnut cake which is to die for - rich and fudgy and nutty.

I enjoyed this show.  Yes, the challenges aren't as difficult as on the British version, but given that the contestants can't go home and practice between weekends, that's to be expected.

Bread Week is my idea of heaven - eating not baking.  I thought several of the showstoppers turned out pretty well, especially the Partridge in a Pear Tree.  And Carlos was absolutely the right one to go home; his showstopper sounded like it could be very good, but the execution was a mess.

• Love 2