Type keyword(s) to search

S45.E04: Chance the Rapper

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, vb68 said:

Tom Hanks has A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood to promote, so I bet we do see David S Pumpkins.

My idea was that he should host the Thanksgiving episode, then they have a sketch where a family is having Thanksgiving dinner and DSP randomly shows up, on the wrong holiday. Adding a further level of confusion to his character. 

• Love 7

They've been using that effect--idk what you call it, but multiplying the host--in I think all of the promos this season. It comes off a little as "production department got a new toy" but I can't deny it's impressive. The Instagram versions are especially cool since they loop perfectly.

• Love 2
On 10/24/2019 at 10:42 AM, Phishbulb said:

My idea was that he should host the Thanksgiving episode, then they have a sketch where a family is having Thanksgiving dinner and DSP randomly shows up, on the wrong holiday. Adding a further level of confusion to his character. 

Yes!!

Cold Open: Of course we open with Trump's weird New Mexico (his favorite Mexico) rally. Yeah, Trump stuff is wearing thin, but I liked this one. Really loved the "Keem Amarica Greab Agrain" shirt. Man, it was good to see Darrell's Bill Clinton again. And Fred Armisen again. Getting all the extras in on the "Live From The New York" was a nice bit. I would've killed to be in that.

Monologue: I actually missed the last show he hosted (I was at a party), and I heard good things, so I have some high hopes for this one. Of course it's the ONE host that's perfectly allowed to sing in their monologue. Loving the second best things is a fun idea for a rap. Luigi and Sega Genesis fans got some love tonight.

League of Legends: I missed the first Lazlo Holmes sketch, but I liked it. "This game looks like a seizure feels." 

Judge Barry: First Impressions Court was a great premise. Yep, Kenan's getup immediately screamed "guilty!" That was so great. Jason Momoa as a gigolo was such a weird surprise.

Snacks: I was waiting for Chance to grab some purple stuff. Oh man, this escalated so well, the fridge stuff was perfect.

Graveyard: "It's a ditty of the damned." This was just so silly. Chance's story was pretty gross, wasn't really expecting autoerotic electrocution. He just sounds so natural in these sketches.

WU: Yeah, Trump's twitter was weird today. And it's the joys of live TV, you can be the first people to comment on this nonsense. The four dots tweet was real. "Live-action Quagmire" is an image I'll never be able to unsee. Loved seeing Don Jr. and I'm Eric again. Alex's Eric Trump never fails to crack me up. 

And wow, even Che wasn't confident in finishing that Caitylin Jenner joke...

Flying: Gotta love how awkward the "flying" was. Lot of missed cues and breaking (but Chance was a pro at recovering), but I loved how silly this was. Cecily trying to get to her purse was my favorite part.

Space Mistake: This was fun. "What if you made a mistake at work, but your work was in space?" Why was there a moon roof on a space shuttle?! "See it in IMAX or n a plane, there is no in-between" just rang so true. Loved that an ad for "For All Mankind" ran right after it.

Dazzle Designs: Hmm, an Aidy/Kate 5-to-1 running much sooner than usual. I loved how weird this was. Their voices were so great in this. Of course they accept Kohl's credit cards.

"Going to a prom where the theme is Virginity."

"Call our Website!"

"Sexual Hat"

Halloween Dancing: Ooh, 70s outfits and music. God, I loved Kenan so much. I cracked up whenever he yelled "OOH, THE MOON!" Bowen Yang was definitely giving him a run for his money, though? They had fax machines in the 70s?

So all in all, this was a mess of a show, but a fun mess. Kristen Stewart returns next week.

5 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Serious question-  Is that the first time a musical guest has ever introduced themselves?

That was creative at least.

I want to say that it's happened before, but I can't think of anything.

• Love 13

I was glad to see Lazlo back, but I didn't like it as much as the hockey skit. I'm not sure I would've liked anything that much, since the newness of it was such a big part of the appeal. 

I loved the snacks, and the first impressions judge with the Rock [sic, but leaving it] accidentally calling himself a paraplegic. I love that he stayed around to introduce Chance's second song. Was that Bowen who was the dancer? he seemed too tall. 

I assume that was Chance's daughter singing from the Rodgers and Hammerstein Cinderella soundtrack: so cute!

It's always good when the Trump boys are on. I could watch Alex imitate Mikey's hand gestures all day. I don't know how Mikey stayed as straight as he did. 

I wasn't really feeling the "dancing in the air" sketch until they started going the wrong way and crashing into things. And Cecily was so funny, first trying to get her purse and then asking Beck "What took you so long?"

The whole show felt a little goofy, either because the cast was having fun or maybe there were a lot of changes. 

It doesn't seem like Pete stays for the end anymore. 

Edited by Mystery
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Mystery said:

I wasn't really feeling the "dancing in the air" sketch until they started going the wrong way and crashing into things. And Cecily was so funny, first trying to get her purse and then asking Beck "What took you so long?"

You could tell that they were stalling for time to get the harnesses on everyone.

• Love 2

Yeah, this one was definitely weird and silly. A lot of it was funny. Some of it was just weird and silly.

I didn't care that much for the Cold Open. Putting Bill Clinton at a Trump rally was definitely weird, but didn't work for me at all. It was basically just a lame attempt for them to say they were hitting both sides.

I totally enjoyed Judge Barry, the Snacks commercial, space mistakes, and the bar/flying one(whatever it was called) was just the biggest mess of a sketch I have seen in a long time. And I mean that in a loving way.  and Kenan entertaining himself in the last one-" Oh NOOOOOOO!!!!"- certainly had it charms.

Not sure what was going with Update. That was weird in a not good way.  I thought one purpose of rehearsal was so you don't have to bail on jokes in such an awkward way on-air.

Chance is always game and has enthusiasm to burn. And Jason Momoa officially enters "Friend of the Show" status.   

Edited by vb68
  • Love 11
14 minutes ago, Mystery said:

I was glad to see Lazlo back, but I didn't like it as much as the hockey skit.

I agree. I meant to say that. That was considered his best sketch the first time around, so not surprised they revisited it. But it didn't come close to the hockey sketch.

• Love 5

I thought it was a pretty solid episode. Chance the SNL Host fits in pretty good with the cast IMO. I agree that the flying sketch really didn't work for me until it started to not work on stage. Always love the Trump boys but otherwise that was a weak WU.

• Love 5

Great swerves with the "commercial." When I was briefly watching the Halloween "best-of" thing that aired at 10, they included the Merrytown animatronics puppets. I felt the "Ditty of the Damned" had the same vibe, with "ghost reluctant to tellpeople how he died" replacing "Oh, shit, Bruno Mars and those other machines are totally gonna kill Jay Pharaoh." The CGI clouds telling the stories was a nice touch.

Didn't Jason Momoa have to shave for a role? I guess he grew the beard back.

1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

League of Legends: I missed the first Lazlo Holmes sketch, but I liked it. "This game looks like a seizure feels."

Here's the first bit. Enjoy!

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

I did not care for this show all that much—way too much breaking.  I’ll cut a host slack for breaking because this is not their regular gig.  But Chance’s breaks plus the “flying bar” plus Kate and Aidy doing it in their entirely forgettable sketch got old after awhile.

The monologue was cute and was probably my favorite part.  Chance has loads of charisma.  Judge Barry was not a bad concept, but it somehow got less funny as it went on, even with the surprise Momoa appearance.

1 hour ago, vb68 said:

Not sure what was going with Update. That was weird in not good way.  I thought one purpose of rehearsal was so you don't have to bail on jokes in such an awkward way on-air.

Yeah, whatever happened was odd.  I wasn’t looking at my screen, heard Michael say “Caitlyn Jenner” and a woman in the audience say something like “oh no” and I didn’t really process what happened next.  ETA:  I actually just rewatched on YouTube and I see what Michael was implying:  that Kanye was going to eventually identify as transgender.  That was lame.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 4

I thought this was a very cozy, safe episode, which isn't a complaint, just more of an observation. Other than some of the fairly vicious Democratic debate takedowns, this season has generally had a warm vibe, probably because (I assume) many of the senior cast members are on their way out, and want to just have fun. The downside of that is seeing so much breaking week after week. I'm not going to rant and rave about this, the way I would have when Jimmy Fallon and Horatio Sanz did this every week, because I think the people who break so often (Kate, Aidy, and lately, Cecily) are valuable cast members, but I do think it adds a sloppiness and a shticky element I could do without. The Aidy and Kate sketches in particular have this feel, and they're all so samey. 

Chance the Rapper is someone I would barely know of if I didn't watch SNL, because I'm not into modern music, but he's a real gem as a host. He breaks and he misses lines, but he has a great deal of charisma and clearly likes the experience. You could tell they think highly of him, as he was put into nearly every sketch and the cast seemed very comfortable around him when they were performing - like he was a player himself. 

I thought most of the episode was fine, so I will just quickly list what I liked most and what I disliked. 

Liked: 

- the monologue was just plain fun, and Kyle Mooney (who actually was a rapper in high school) being involved was just a bonus. I'm glad they've been using him more this season - I could swear he brought a version of his old standup character back for the court sketch. 

- the Tasty Treat pre-tape was pitched very well, suspenseful, well-acted by Chance. The whole thing reminded me of the weird vibe the Lonely Island shorts sometimes had.  I have missed that vibe. Yet this didn't feel like a ripoff of Lonely Island. 

- Harnesses. This would mostly be called a failed experiment, but I was interested in the attempt. Reminded me of something Gilda Radner might have done. 

- Werewolf. Normally I would find this forced, but Kenan just has such a very specific energy, he really delivered, and it was a kooky way to end a Halloween episode (even if there was no real ending to the sketch). I also liked that we got to see mainly the newer cast. 

- The Trump boys on Update. Mikey and Alex are perfect in these roles - Alex is one of the most underrated and underused cast members I can remember on SNL. He's just amazing at wringing so much life out of a one-note, dopey caricature. I could watch this over and over. Thankfully they don't take me up on that. 

Disliked: 

- Cold open. I didn't hate this as much as I thought I would (when I saw that Baldwin was going to be back tonight I expected the worst, but thankfully he was relatively minimized), but in spite of having some energy and using various cast members, it still felt lazy and way too long. No interest in seeing Hammond's Clinton again, or much of anything with Fred Armisen. Kate's Graham continues to feel like nightmare fuel thanks to the prosthetics they put on her. 

- Che's trans "joke." Che spends so much time feuding with "woke" people on social media that I feel like this was his attempt at stirring them up. This wasn't necessary on the show and just degraded the rest of the night. Leave the edgelord junk to Twitter or Instagram. 

- Kate and Aidy piece. I just feel like we've seen this so many times now, and I feel like we're stuck in a loop of a long goodbye with them. They almost seem to be in their own show in sketches like these. I wish we could get a break. 

• Love 8

Chance the Rapper was very natural and up for anything. But the sketches were all meh. Space Mistake? I kept waiting for it to go somewhere and it just kept repeating the obvious, which actually was just the truth (mistakes in space can be deadly). Everything seemed to take forever to develop. Tasty Treat was probably the best but once the joke was apparent... nada. Jason Mamoa... let your freak flag fly!

• Love 1

If Chance released his monologue as a single, I would buy it. He finally voiced my truth about liking Angel better than Buffy. 

He is so high energy and i loved every second he was on screen. He can come back whenever he wants. 

I cannot day enough good things about Alex Moffat’s “Eric” impression. It never fails to make me laugh; the pure joy at seeing his toy work, trying to imitate Mikey but being a beat behind? It’s perfection. 

• Love 17
On 10/23/2019 at 9:51 PM, vb68 said:

Tom Hanks has A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood to promote, so I bet we do see David S Pumpkins.

Any questions?

Pretty good episode, not great but watchable.  I've also seen those "League of Legends" video game contests and wondered what the heck was going on onscreen, and how the players can follow it.  Always good to see Jason Mamoa.  Keenan't been on the show forever, but he can make things funny out of nothing:  The moooon!

I thought the flying bit was a ripoff of an Impractical Jokers punishment:   "Genie does as you wish".  

• Love 2

They had fax machines in the 70s?

Yes (they were invented around WW2, but they were rare and expensive).  So it was historically accurate that a rich person (or his family) would have one, but others wouldn't. 
I'm not sure why that pleased me, that in a very surreal sketch, they took moments of accuracy (also:  "Why are there so many different kinds of window treatments?") 

The whole show felt a little goofy, either because the cast was having fun or maybe there were a lot of changes. 

There was a lot of breaking--which is ironic, because, Fred Armistan was famous for not doing that.  That said, they tried to take the audience with them, which was nice.

They made both nice use of live TV and taped segments.  The bit about snacks caught me off guard.

2 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

If Chance released his monologue as a single, I would buy it. He finally voiced my truth about liking Angel better than Buffy. 

I have to admit I enjoyed that the most of his musical performances.  Not sure what that says.

3 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I've heard the same thing expressed on numerous occasions and just from a consistency standpoint alone, it is.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

Yeah, whatever happened was odd.  I wasn’t looking at my screen, heard Michael say “Caitlyn Jenner” and a woman in the audience say something like “oh no” and I didn’t really process what happened next.  ETA:  I actually just rewatched on YouTube and I see what Michael was implying:  that Kanye was going to eventually identify as transgender.  That was lame.

I have to admit I wasn't paying complete attention, so bad on me, but I didn't get it. What was the final thing he said? Caitlyn Jenner was going to Calabasas?

Anyway, the rest of the show was ok. Chance the Rapper is very likable.

I thought the Trump Rally was a little different angle on Trump than what they usually do, but this Trump seemed more aware than was believable to me. Too many pointless cameos. And once again Kate's impression was not well done. The whole sketch was a lost opportunity.

Again I enjoyed seeing Chance as the sports commentator out of his comfort zone.

Judge Barry was ok. Some good bits by the defendants and plaintiffs.

Loved the weird teenage snack food commercial. That was probably the best sketch of the night (even though it was pre-taped).

The graveyard bit was so-so.

The wired flying sketch was... I don't know. I think it could have been better, and I don't mean about the breaking. I just watched the dress rehearsal, and I was struck by how unnecessary the seafood part was. Just seeing them fly around and crash into stuff was pretty funny.

The Space Mistakes trailer was off, and not in a good way. 

The Dazzle Designs sketch wasn't that great. I think one thing that would have made it better was if the Evelyn Macintosh and Diana Krill characters were better defined. I didn't think they needed to break into song snippets either. I liked some of the chyrons for the choir outfits, particularly "Elegant & Problematic." I cracked up when Chris says, "The buttons let you know they're Velcro!"

The final sketch was funny only because of Kenan's "Oh NOOO! The MOOOON!" 

• Love 3

Jason Momoa is a treasure, but I'm getting a little weary of the ever-increasing cameos on this show. It just feels so lazy--why spend time trying to write well-crafted jokes when you can just get an A-lister to walk out to instant applause?

Chance's monologue was fun, though I thought the visual aid was unnecessary. Just felt like a way to cram in some sponsorship deals with all the corporate logos.

The clouds reenacting the deaths in the graveyard sketch were really cool.

That attempt at a Caitlyn Jenner joke was trash and Michael Che is the fucking worst.

The ad for that space Apple TV show could not have been better placed, haha.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I have to admit I wasn't paying complete attention, so bad on me, but I didn't get it. What was the final thing he said? Caitlyn Jenner was going to Calabasas?

Yes, but when he said "in 2014" I think people knew where it was going which prompted the woman to say "oh no" out loud.  I feel it was a joke they could have gotten away with 25 years ago but I think Che knew how bad it would sound if he said it so the joke stopped dead in its tracks.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, msrachelj said:

Couldn't understand a word the kid was saying though.

She was singing the song "Impossible" from Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella, but you're right that she had very few of the words right. It reminded me of the way American Idol singers fake it on group night. 

eta: As I said above, though, I thought she was very cute. 

Edited by Mystery
Don't want to be harshing on a little kid
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, OpalNightstream said:

For anyone who watches impractical jokers, the flying sketch was very reminiscent of the Joe Gatto punishment where he was in Aladdin. Not to mention Colin Josts brother works on Impractical Jokers. 

Yeah, I watch Impractical Jokers, and as soon as they started flying, I knew where they were going with it.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, SHD said:

I know people really like it, but I’m getting tired of Kate and Aidy as strange women selling something and breaking during the skit.

Yes. What happened to Whiskers R We? At least that had genuine breaking if the host was wily enough to fondle Kate or something. Now they just let Kate and Aidy throw on a new costume and break every time they make eye contact, which is lazy and annoying.

Pop Tart Murder Teen was the strongest. I thought the floating first date sketch was also pretty funny.

My gay heart leaps for Kristen Stewart next week. What I wouldn't give for a Pizza Rolls update!

Edited by SnarkEnthusiast
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Judge Barry was ok. Some good bits by the defendants and plaintiffs.

I liked the first couple of cases but I wanted his judgementality to be more unpredictable and arbitrary. Both the plaintiff and the defendant should have been equally normal or strange. Consistently finding in favour of normal wasn't really funny. 

• Love 4

I always zap the music, and this episode was no exception, but Chance the Rapper as a comedic performer definitely was charming and funny.

I'm glad the flying sketch went as off the rails as it did. That made it unlike anything I'd seen before. More unlike anything I'd seen than if the rig had worked as intended. Mention must be made that Ego and Heidi were great "straight-women." (That might seem like a strange comment considering that they started to break, but I believed them as Cecily's friends in a way I usually don't in SNL sketches.)

• Love 3

This was pretty "meh" for me.  Other than the cold open, the Space Mistakes sketch and the Dazzle sketch, I didn't find it particularly amusing.  Although Chance the Rapper's opening monologue was good.  Mostly it just seemed like a bad attempt to equal the magic of Donald Glover's last appearance.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 1:32 PM, cpcathy said:

I really enjoyed his last episode, the hockey commentator sketch is still one of my favorites.

Okay, I did laugh at that one, but since I forgot about it by today, I guess it wasn't that successful for me.

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:00 AM, Galileo908 said:

Loved seeing Don Jr. and I'm Eric again. Alex's Eric Trump never fails to crack me up. 

Me, too.