Type keyword(s) to search

S45.E04: Chance the Rapper

• Start Topic

On 10/24/2019 at 7:28 PM, cpcathy said:

Chance is kind of adorable.

He is absurdly charming. I was grinning like an idiot during his monologue rap.

One thing that's kind of jarring about the show is that a lot of the casual cultural references are a generation out of date. Specifically in this episode, the Snacks bit had a very early 90s ad feel (and was clearly a riff on the "purple stuff" Sunny D commercial Dave Chappelle famously mocked, which aired in 1991). Chance's monologue rap referenced Buffy vs. Angel (20 years ago), Mase vs. Puffy (20 years ago), Nintendo vs. Sega Genesis (25+ years ago), Sense and Sensibility vs. Pride and Prejudice (25 years ago), etc. Even the Harry Potter vs. Percy Jackson joke is 10 years old. Chance is 10 years younger than the head writers, so it was kind of silly to see him rap about preferring Sega Genesis when it was replaced by the Sega Saturn when he was under two years old.

I've seen enough of the movies being parodied that I found the Space Mistakes trailer extremely funny. The childlike dialogue being delivered with grave urgency ("What if the top comes off?") was the best.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Eyes High said:

One thing that's kind of jarring about the show is that a lot of the casual cultural references are a generation out of date. Specifically in this episode, the Snacks bit had a very early 90s ad feel (and was clearly a riff on the "purple stuff" Sunny D commercial Dave Chappelle famously mocked, which aired in 1991). Chance's monologue rap referenced Buffy vs. Angel (20 years ago), Mase vs. Puffy (20 years ago), Nintendo vs. Sega Genesis (25+ years ago), Sense and Sensibility vs. Pride and Prejudice (25 years ago), etc. Even the Harry Potter vs. Percy Jackson joke is 10 years old. Chance is 10 years younger than the head writers, so it was kind of silly to see him rap about preferring Sega Genesis when it was replaced by the Sega Saturn when he was under two years old.

Yeah, I think that says more about the collective age of the writers than anything.

Serious question-  Is that the first time a musical guest has ever introduced themselves?

No, Donald Glover did.

Well, not exactly. That was Zoe Kravitz who introduced Donald. She did indeed stay onstage for the performance, but I meant someone who actually physically introduced himself like Chance did. I can't recall ever seeing that before, but I could be wrong. 

Edited by vb68

Hello every body. I thought I would tell you that Chance The Rapper will be the Host and Musical Guest at 10:30 Central Time on Tomorrow's Saturday Night Live Show.

• Love 2
On 10/27/2019 at 12:00 AM, Galileo908 said:

Cold Open: Of course we open with Trump's weird New Mexico (his favorite Mexico) rally. Yeah, Trump stuff is wearing thin, but I liked this one. Really loved the "Keem Amarica Greab Agrain" shirt. Man, it was good to see Darrell's Bill Clinton again. And Fred Armisen again. Getting all the extras in on the "Live From The New York" was a nice bit. I would've killed to be in that.

Monologue: I actually missed the last show he hosted (I was at a party), and I heard good things, so I have some high hopes for this one. Of course it's the ONE host that's perfectly allowed to sing in their monologue. Loving the second best things is a fun idea for a rap. Luigi and Sega Genesis fans got some love tonight.

League of Legends: I missed the first Lazlo Holmes sketch, but I liked it. "This game looks like a seizure feels." 

Judge Barry: First Impressions Court was a great premise. Yep, Kenan's getup immediately screamed "guilty!" That was so great. Jason Momoa as a gigolo was such a weird surprise.

Snacks: I was waiting for Chance to grab some purple stuff. Oh man, this escalated so well, the fridge stuff was perfect.

Graveyard: "It's a ditty of the damned." This was just so silly. Chance's story was pretty gross, wasn't really expecting autoerotic electrocution. He just sounds so natural in these sketches.

WU: Yeah, Trump's twitter was weird today. And it's the joys of live TV, you can be the first people to comment on this nonsense. The four dots tweet was real. "Live-action Quagmire" is an image I'll never be able to unsee. Loved seeing Don Jr. and I'm Eric again. Alex's Eric Trump never fails to crack me up. 

And wow, even Che wasn't confident in finishing that Caitylin Jenner joke...

Flying: Gotta love how awkward the "flying" was. Lot of missed cues and breaking (but Chance was a pro at recovering), but I loved how silly this was. Cecily trying to get to her purse was my favorite part.

Space Mistake: This was fun. "What if you made a mistake at work, but your work was in space?" Why was there a moon roof on a space shuttle?! "See it in IMAX or n a plane, there is no in-between" just rang so true. Loved that an ad for "For All Mankind" ran right after it.

Dazzle Designs: Hmm, an Aidy/Kate 5-to-1 running much sooner than usual. I loved how weird this was. Their voices were so great in this. Of course they accept Kohl's credit cards.

"Going to a prom where the theme is Virginity."

"Call our Website!"

"Sexual Hat"

Halloween Dancing: Ooh, 70s outfits and music. God, I loved Kenan so much. I cracked up whenever he yelled "OOH, THE MOON!" Bowen Yang was definitely giving him a run for his money, though? They had fax machines in the 70s?

So all in all, this was a mess of a show, but a fun mess. Kristen Stewart returns next week.

I want to say that it's happened before, but I can't think of anything.

I think Danny Glover who was the Host and Childish Gambino  was the Musical Guest. I may not quite have their Names right, but I think you will know who I am Talking about. It might be that that hasn't happened, but I think It has since this was Just Last Fall. Personally, I thought FAx Machines were more like in the 90's and not in the 70's, but maybe I'm wrong.