Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E01: Man Down!

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

It looks like Kate’s time is done. Kate is essentially  a bully and like all bullies she runs away when you stand up to them. Plus she doesn’t have a minion this year so she doesn’t have someone to cheer on her nastiness. The chef is not buying it and Ashton has seen her act and seems to be leading an insurrection.

• Love 6
50 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

It looks like Kate’s time is done. Kate is essentially  a bully and like all bullies she runs away when you stand up to them. Plus she doesn’t have a minion this year so she doesn’t have someone to cheer on her nastiness. The chef is not buying it and Ashton has seen her act and seems to be leading an insurrection.

The previews for the season tend to be notoriously misleading. 

• Love 14
On 10/8/2019 at 10:50 PM, txhorns79 said:

I can't even with her hair.  It's just so wildly impractical for the climate, and the job she has.  I'm honestly surprised it isn't a requirement that women or men on the deck crew with long hair have to wear it pulled back.     

Good point. Jack was told several times to do something with his hair.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, jennylauren123 said:

Good point. Jack was told several times to do something with his hair.

My impression that was more of a "professionalism" than safety issue, but I think it's just as unprofessional for a female working in a job like that to have her hair wild.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Kate’s treats everyone likes serfs including the Chef.

But I guess that is fine because unlike the Chef some think that Kate’s shit don’t stink.

I just don't see that as all. I"m an unapologetic Kate fan. But I will call her out when she's being uncool. She can get a bit mean-girl-ish at times. But, honestly, most of her issues with people stem from laziness and incompetence. I've never seen her try to boss a chef around as if they're below her. She may have communication and planning issues, but I don't see her treating them like serfs. With Kate, if you just do your job and work hard, she's cool.

19 hours ago, jumper sage said:

And get part of the tip.

I have to disagree.  Having them in glass makes more sense to the durability, especially in extreme climates.  The plastic containers won't work.  Having everything the same size and shape won't help either.  Shouldn't he have asked for the label gun BEFORE he wasted time?

Does anyone still have a label maker?

Exactly. I'd think that using uniform jars would make it MORE confusing, not less. When I go for my spices, I know the sizes, shapes, lid colours of certain ones; and that helps me find them more quickly. 

• Love 13

My god, this season's crew is already completely boring. I could barely watch this drivel. The chef is a moron. Dude, get a Sharpie and make 'labels' pronto, you don't have time to make labels with a label maker you dolt. And don't get me started on the idiot who has issues 'serving' people in a service industry job. I was looking forward to this season because I loathe Captain Sandy Yawn (such a perfect surname) so much, but so far this crew sucks ass. At least I liked the Med crew for the most part this season.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

I just don't see that as all. I"m an unapologetic Kate fan. But I will call her out when she's being uncool. She can get a bit mean-girl-ish at times. But, honestly, most of her issues with people stem from laziness and incompetence. I've never seen her try to boss a chef around as if they're below her. She may have communication and planning issues, but I don't see her treating them like serfs. With Kate, if you just do your job and work hard, she's cool.

Exactly. I'd think that using uniform jars would make it MORE confusing, not less. When I go for my spices, I know the sizes, shapes, lid colours of certain ones; and that helps me find them more quickly. 

Kate tried to boss every Chef around. She didn’t get along with any of them because she insisted on controlling the galley as well as the interior. 

I bet that the chef puts the spices back in the same order so he knows exactly where they are. Anal or organized you make the call.

I am on the chefs side since he is not gonna take Kate’s bullshit from the start. Look at what he did from the get go. He made a Thai dish that looked delicious using local ingredients that I didn’t see any of the other chefs do in prior seasons that I can remember except for Adrian.

Why can’t Kate pay attention to her job and put plates on the table or have them ready in the gallery. Kate complained and called him fussy when he wanted plates so he could put the food on to be served. Kate has a problem with that. She is very arrogant and self entitled.

Edited by The Ringo Kidd
  • Love 3
On 10/9/2019 at 8:38 AM, Mr. Minor said:

You would think Chef Anal would have his very own label maker. Fuck him! I hate him already.

I was thinking the same thing. Kevin should have brought his own label maker with him. Didn't he bring all the containers?

I don't hate Kevin though but I surely do like Ben in the galley much better than Kevin. Sigh.

Edited by luvthepros
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

... Exactly. I'd think that using uniform jars would make it MORE confusing, not less. When I go for my spices, I know the sizes, shapes, lid colours of certain ones; and that helps me find them more quickly. 

I'm quoting you, Ghoulina, but it's only to illustrate 🙂

So... Sorry, but no. A "domestic" kitchen is absolutely not the same than a professional one, and the way you will prepare the meals at home neither. Identical contenants allow you to stack them securely in piles, will not broke, etc... And we're on a boat ! With somethimes rough waters !

Once again, at home, I'm like you -and hubby too- but at the restaurant, no. We do the same than Kevin did. And other chefs we know too 😉

I like Kate, but, here, she was wrong and her answer to Kevin was wrong too in that situation

Edited by Diane Mars
  • Useful 4
  • Love 9

I used to be an accountant for bars and restaurants and almost every one of them had their ingredients organized the way Kevin did. The ones that left them in the original jars almost always failed. It was an indication of general sloppiness and failure to plan.

Kevin was just being a professional which supposedly what Kate demands of everyone when she is not forgetting to put plates on the table.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11

Most chefs I know carry tape (the kind they like and it varies greatly) and a marker (also varies with Sharpie being most common) in their knife kit or bag when they go to a job/new kitchen so I am faulting both Kate and Kevin for their interaction.

• Love 19

That’s right I have seen the tape/sharpie thing as well. In fact that is better since you can write the titles bigger so it is easier to see when you are in a rush.

Where Kate is totally wrong is in telling the chef how to spend his time. Should she tell Ashton to stop cleaning the boat and instead rearrange the toys since the charter is going to start soon and he needs to have them ready for the guests? It’s the same deal. She needs to concentrate on training her inexperienced stews and let the other department heads run their bailiwick the way they want.

Kate is not the Captain. She is a glorified housekeeper.

19 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

22F7B48B-EF90-45C0-83D8-7CFA630F7117.jpeg.6eec0f094db44cf741f6324c686a7ddd.jpeg

Now that’s organized! I bet you put the spice back exactly where you found them. How are they organized? By size? Sweet vs savory? Flavors?

It looks like it is by size.

• Love 6
On 10/9/2019 at 10:03 AM, RedHawk said:

I read a lot of your comments about Chef Kevin’s intestinal disaster and was fully prepared to be disgusted and fast-forward through it all. Then I actually watched the episode and found it freaking hilarious! LOL’d at Kate musing to Captain Lee about whether Chef needed medicine to “speed it up or slow it down” and Captain Lee’s perplexed “I don’t know”. Then we got Chef’s own exasperated running commentary intercut with groans and bodily noises. I must be a 13-year-old boy — I rewound it and laughed all over again. Thanks for the belly laughs over your bellyache, Kevin! However, I sincerely hope in episode 2 we don’t see the guests getting sick due to contamination. I feel for them when they see what was actually happening “below deck”: their meal prep coinciding with a colonoscopy prep.

Is Chef Kevin “OC”, “anal”, or organized?  I’m like him and prefer to do a lot of work up front so that I know where everything is or can find it easily when the heat is on. When I manage projects I explain to my “crew” that this is my style and that if you do certain upfront prep and planning then things tend to go better if (almost always WHEN) there is a crunch or a crisis later. After a couple of projects are completed they usually agree that my way works well and is less stressful. 

That said, I know that some people prefer to work under pressure and in chaos, and I think Kate is that type. I’m not being judgmental; I like how Kate gets things done. Sometimes you’re thrown in and don’t get to do the upfront prep, and we see that she usually is and rises to the challenge. Chaos and/or pressure can be exciting and make you think creatively, and sometimes I enjoy it. Yet some people get worn down by the stress and have to find ways to combat it. She and Chef Kevin just have two different styles and personalities — which it looks like will be in conflict this season.

There is a cute video on bravotv.com of Kate and Kevin giving a tour of how the boat stocks and stores provisions ( i did note that all the plastic wear was labeled with stickers). They were very comfortable together. 

I always feel misled by these shows. The capture moments and blow them up. I am sure that after every bathroom episode, Chef Kevin sanitized his hands to the fullest. We just dont see it. Mila , however, was caught dead to rights licking the steak!

Edited by missyb
  • Love 6
28 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Now that’s organized! I bet you put the spice back exactly where you found them. How are they organized? By size? Sweet vs savory? Flavors?

That’s my SIL’s. She has it categorized by flavors, and I think some alphabetically. I have a smaller version. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

That’s my SIL’s. She has it categorized by flavors, and I think some alphabetically. I have a smaller version. 

Reminds me of Yolanda's Lyme disease "medication"  closet.   

Also, Sleeping With the Enemy.   ;~)

Edited by walnutqueen
  • LOL 13
  • Love 2

You sister-in-law must be a great cook. There is nothing so frustrating as starting a recipe and finding out you are missing an ingredient.

This only gives me more respect for Kevin as a chef. I read on another site that Captain Crunch and Kate are dissing the chef on interviews. This might get interesting if Kate has to run to Daddy when the rest of the crew revolts. 

On 10/10/2019 at 12:05 PM, ghoulina said:

I agree-I think she can be a dick sometimes, but I do love her (very open about my love of her on this website). I actually didn't think the convesation about the labels was that big of a deal-I saw both sides.  I have multiple convesations at work about different approaches to things with people above and below me and I don't consider that drama or me "bullying".  I know everything is amped for reality tv, but if this is considered contentious, no one has watched a Housewife show (and I prefer my drama with the guests).  Is this labeling drama ever going to be mentioned again?  (Although this is a network that made an entire season of a show about a dog adoption so possibly) And the only chef I think she really had a problem with was Leon and he was awful (guests asked for sliders and he told Kate he already turned the oven off-what kind of response is that for a chef to a client request?).  

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Mr. Minor said:

If the whole crew revolts because of little skinny Kate it will be a BD first and they were a god damn lame crew to begin with.

Well it looks like that in the preview but as has been noted the previews have been notoriously misleading.

I don’t see what weight has to do with it? Weasels are lightweights but vicious and nasty as all get out.

The weasel is Kate’s spirit animal.

• Love 1
On 10/10/2019 at 2:13 PM, biakbiak said:

Most chefs I know carry tape (the kind they like and it varies greatly) and a marker (also varies with Sharpie being most common) in their knife kit or bag when they go to a job/new kitchen so I am faulting both Kate and Kevin for their interaction.

Right? If he knew he was going to repackage all that stuff, he should have made his own preparations for labeling it.

I think Kate's issue with him was more of a time management or prioritization thing. If there were still so many other provisions that needed to be stowed, and could be with less effort, I'd have tackled them first, and left the labor intensive stuff for last.

• Love 6
On 10/8/2019 at 8:28 AM, missyb said:

Yes, yes yes, The hair. How does this deckhand Abbi not put her hair up off her neck while she is working?  I can never fathom that. Obviously having the cameras there is too much . After all this time, Kate throws her hair up and thats it. Comes down for talking heads but when she is working, up it goes. 

Kate...hands down...holds the prize for the most “messy bumpit like, updo braid (ish), pony (ish) hair” that allows her to feel like it’s “down”...

she’s a master of the whispy bang, braid like, comb up, pinned, asymmetrical look.

It LOOKS effortless and carefree..but probably takes hours to perfect...

Edited by Shellbell59
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 10/10/2019 at 11:23 AM, gingerella said:

My god, this season's crew is already completely boring. I could barely watch this drivel. The chef is a moron. Dude, get a Sharpie and make 'labels' pronto, you don't have time to make labels with a label maker you dolt. And don't get me started on the idiot who has issues 'serving' people in a service industry job. I was looking forward to this season because I loathe Captain Sandy Yawn (such a perfect surname) so much, but so far this crew sucks ass. At least I liked the Med crew for the most part this season.

Yeah he could write it with Sharpie and it comes off with nail polish remover if need be. 

• Love 4
On 10/9/2019 at 2:17 PM, ghoulina said:

Yea, but the things he wanted to label were already labeled. He wanted to take spices from their existing containers and put them in little tupperwares and label them. I thought it was fucking ridiculous and wasteful. If I were Kate, I probably wouldn't have called him out, as it IS his kitchen. But I can see why she was like, "We have 4568496894 deliveries to put away and you're rehoming your spices???"

If he needs a super organized kitchen to ensure he can find what he needs to make meals, Kate should have just humored his request for a label maker. Given his extensive experience, he may have a method that he prefers to use to keep him on track when in the kitchen. Because Kate doesn’t work that way, she didn’t see the point. People like that irritate me. I used to have a job that required me to be very organized and the label maker was my bff. My boss always rolled her eyes about my method, but it meant I got her assignments done faster.

Kevin’s diarrhea didn’t need to be a storyline. I would be mortified if I were him. Let the man shit in peace.

Happy to finally see a Black woman on this show. One of the reasons why I’ve been such an inconsistent watcher of the BD franchise is because they lack any diversity. Since there are rumors that the show occasionally casts stews with no legitimate experience, I’ve found it odd it took 7 seasons to find a Black stew. Yay, Simone. I was actually telling my younger cousins to consider yachting since they have some serving experience. Many don’t even know it’s a career option, at least for their twenties.

I had to keep double checking that I wasn’t in BDM thread because of the constant references to Capt. Sandy. More BD please.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 6

Kate...hands down...holds the prize for the most “messy bumpit like, updo braid (ish), pony (ish) hair” that allows her to feel like it’s “down”...

she’s a master of the whispy bang, braid like, comb up, pinned, asymmetrical look.

It LOOKS effortless and carefree..but probably takes hours to perfect...

It's her attempt to be better groomed than her earlier seasons. But to me it's still a fail, because she shouldn't be sporting bedhead while working. She's trying to look younger than she is and soften her face.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, trimthatfat said:

Happy to finally see a Black woman on this show. One of the reasons why I’ve been such an inconsistent watcher of the BD franchise is because they lack any diversity. Since there are rumors that the show occasionally casts stews with no legitimate experience, I’ve found it odd it took 7 seasons to find a Black stew. Yay, Simone. I was actually telling my younger cousins to consider yachting since they have some serving experience. Many don’t even know it’s a career option, at least for their twenties.

They've had people with Black ancestry, but they're usually multiracial: Leon, Lauren, Jamie, and Brianna with the mysterious Nigerian surname.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

They've had people with Black ancestry, but they're usually multiracial: Leon, Lauren, Jamie, and Brianna with the mysterious Nigerian surname.

I was just about to write this when I came across your post. I’m surprised that people think that Simone is the first person of color. Connie is a woman of color too. 

Brianna? The one who hooked up w Nico?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DeeplyShallow said:

I was just about to write this when I came across your post. I’m surprised that people think that Simone is the first person of color. Connie is a woman of color too.

As is Jennice Ontiveros of the Kelley was desperately in love with her until she said yes to him fiasco. Of course there is also Ross Inia.

Brianna? The one who hooked up w Nico?

Yep. That Brianna. No one knows enough of her life to know if she has Nigerian ancestry or a Nigerian step-parent. Sometimes you have people who have Black ancestry and they look a lot less Black than you'd expect like singer Shirley Bassey or Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Other times, you have people like Pete Wentz (when he straightens his hair) and Halsey who really don't look like they have Black ancestry because they have one multiracial parent and one white parent. Mark Paul Gosselar is partially Indonesian, but you really can't tell. Brianna is someone I probably wouldn't have clocked, but for the surname.

1 minute ago, HunterHunted said:

As is Jennice Ontiveros of the Kelley was desperately in love with her until she said yes to him fiasco. Of course there is also Ross Inia.

Yep. That Brianna. No one knows enough of her life to know if she has Nigerian ancestry or a Nigerian step-parent. Sometimes you have people who have Black ancestry and they look a lot less Black than you'd expect like singer Shirley Bassey or Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Other times, you have people like Pete Wentz (when he straightens his hair) and Halsey who really don't look like they have Black ancestry because they have one multiracial parent and one white parent. Mark Paul Gosselar is partially Indonesian, but you really can't tell. Brianna is someone I probably wouldn't have clocked, but for the surname.

So interesting. What’s her surname?

Zach Morris is part Indonesian? Learn something new everyday!

Forgot about Ross and definitely forgot about annoying Jennice.

Still don’t get the excitement over Simone, she’s definitely not the first!

On 10/10/2019 at 12:35 PM, RoxiP said:

I have a label maker.  I love my label maker.  In fact, I received it from my daughter for Christmas one year (I asked for it).  

Heavy sigh.  I'm officially boring.

me, too!!!  🙂  I have been known to get slightly carried away with labeling!  

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 10/10/2019 at 11:07 AM, Mindthinkr said:

I think that is quite fabulous. I'm a horrible cook so never would I need that many spices. However, it's me on a grander scale!😄

Tonight will be my first time watching the new crew. I'm sure I'll be bored but I'm going to try. If Kate is there, I can do it!

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 1
On 10/8/2019 at 3:34 PM, Lady of nod said:

Here we go. We've got 2 green stews, one of whom right off the bat lets us know she's a spoiled princess who doesn't like to work. That should  go over well with Kate, who by the way is also my favorite Bravo star. And neither of them like doing service, which is actually the job, right? Who picks the crew? Gotta be production

Such a relief to have Capt Lee back after that season of fame ho Sandy who got more irritating each episode. Capt Lee gets the job. Drive the boat and don't babysit the crew, or creep around spying on them or interject yourself at every possible opportunity.

Thailand looks amazing and looking forward to seeing more of it.

I'm not sure Ashton is up to bosun. Time will tell. And oh yeah Ashton - don't mess with Kate!

I am not impressed with the food so far, and who in the world wants to hear anyone, especially the chef exploding on the toilet? Editors: give us a break ffs.

I really think Sandy is also a great captain, however, I am beginning to wonder if she may have a quick temper and consequently acts out, then regrets it.

• Useful 1

It has to be asked:  Who is Mr. Dobson?

And if that's the chef's own last name, who refers to themselves so formally whilst sh*tting their brains out? 😂

Abbi's hair has a pronounced dent in it when viewed from the back where the top level doesn't blend into the longer level -- either she cut it that way or it's a weave.  She should tie her hair back, if for no other reason that in every scene of her, her face was running with sweat.

I like Simone and Tanner so far.   Courtney is obviously a plant to drive Kate crazy.

Edited by Special K
1 hour ago, Special K said:

Who is Mr. Dobson?

And if that's the chef's own last name, who refers to themselves so formally whilst sh*tting their brains out?

It is Chef Kevin’s last name and he was basically being get it together dude to himself. It’s actually the only thing I found endearing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 10/8/2019 at 6:03 PM, Diane Mars said:

Only thing to say here : Kate was WRONG regarding the request of Kevin for the boxes labelling ! Give him a Sharpie, at least, but it IS essential in a kitchen...

According to my husband who is executive chef in one of the best restaurants in D.C. there is an Instagram group devoted to posting pictures of lunch leftovers or other organizations in the kitchen where everyone who works in the kitchen is using black markers to describe what is in so and so container and this pot and that plate...its really funny to read the IG page. All horrible grammar and funny abbreviation.  Have to remember to ask him for the link... To show it to you...

• Love 3
On 10/14/2019 at 12:31 AM, The Ringo Kidd said:

What about Kate?

Isn’t she part hobbit?

I assumed Kate was related to Thranduil, King of the Silvan Elves, because there is no bigger bossier bitch than Thranduil in all of Middle Earth. However, Kate's hair is tragic and Thranduil would have banished her for that alone. Kate has very dwarf-like, meaning awful, hair. I can only conclude that Kate-riel, an elf from the Lost Oceanic tribe, and Poldark, a rather tall dwarf, had a brief moment of passion during The Hobbit: An Inexplicably Neverending Movie Franchise and produced a bitchy baby with bad hair.

This is the end of my pop culture weirdness.

• LOL 1
On 10/9/2019 at 5:30 PM, biakbiak said:

The previews for the season tend to be notoriously misleading. 

So...did Kate quit this season? It's being reported in the media that she did quit. 

6 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I assumed Kate was related to Thranduil, King of the Silvan Elves, because there is no bigger bossier bitch than Thranduil in all of Middle Earth. However, Kate's hair is tragic and Thranduil would have banished her for that alone. Kate has very dwarf-like, meaning awful, hair. I can only conclude that Kate-riel, an elf from the Lost Oceanic tribe, and Poldark, a rather tall dwarf, had a brief moment of passion during The Hobbit: An Inexplicably Neverending Movie Franchise and produced a bitchy baby with bad hair.

This is the end of my pop culture weirdness.

Sadly, for me, I have worked for bigger, bossier bitches. One of them was a good 325 pounds of bossy bitchiness. Her name was Anya. And she loved saying her name. "Hello I'm Anya! Yes, that's correct, it's Anya!" I'm getting sick just talking about her. 

You guys think Kate is bad? 😄 

• LOL 1
11 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

So...did Kate quit this season? It's being reported in the media that she did quit. 

I guess will find out though all the articles I have seen have just been regurgitating the preview and at most say she “left the boat” and doesn’t say for how long, so I doubt it’s something that sticks.

Edited by biakbiak

I don’t Kate is bad necessarily. She is just vile. She is the Tamra Judge of this franchise. She creates unnecessary drama in service to productions values.

The human cost be damned. Of course these people signed up for reality TV so they have no complaints.

On 10/15/2019 at 6:52 PM, Shellbell59 said:

I can only think of one person other than Kevin the chef who has a worse “comb over” hair style...

What is the deal with his hair? Does he have a bizarre balding pattern? Does his hair grow in patches of different color? It's been bothering me too.

• LOL 1
On 10/19/2019 at 10:21 PM, ava111 said:

According to my husband who is executive chef in one of the best restaurants in D.C. there is an Instagram group devoted to posting pictures of lunch leftovers or other organizations in the kitchen where everyone who works in the kitchen is using black markers to describe what is in so and so container and this pot and that plate...its really funny to read the IG page. All horrible grammar and funny abbreviation.  Have to remember to ask him for the link... To show it to you...

So the Instagram account is kitchentape

• Love 3