Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: The Big Picture

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Max invokes a hospital-wide census in effort to get to know the staff of New Amsterdam on a deeper level. Reynolds takes a leap of faith that lands him in hot water, and Dr. Castro extends her treatment plan to more patients in the hospital.

Original airdate 10/1/2019

I refuse to believe that Max wouldn't have any clue why these people don't get enough sleep or have dinner with their families often enough or don't want to be pulled away from their jobs to explain these things to him. (No comment on the bus solution.)

I'm sure we all knew something terrible was going to happen to shingles guy as soon as the intern got distracted by the yelling patient. This show isn't predictable at all, is it?

I hate the new cancer doctor.

• Love 11

One past employer had us do a questionnaire. Many employees said that a major problem was lack of communication, especially from management. Later they gave each of us an iPod. Not exactly the response we hoped for.

On the other hand, they had two locations and ran a bus between them. I lived near one and worked at the other. So a 1-mile walk and a bus ride got me to work.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

This show isn't predictable at all, is it?

Seriously.  That and the inmate plot were so obvious.  What would have made it interesting was to find out exactly what Bajan had done to get sent to Rikers.   I wonder if something truly horrible would force Iggy to re-think what he was offering, but that wouldn't have fit in with the feel good moment.

At least Sharpe's patients know that she genuinely cares about them.  Not surprised that Castro didn't want to deliver the bad news.

Aww, JJ Feild.  He can stay as the PT.  And Bloom wasn't awful this week.  

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

Seriously.  That and the inmate plot were so obvious.  What would have made it interesting was to find out exactly what Bajan had done to get sent to Rikers.   I wonder if something truly horrible would force Iggy to re-think what he was offering, but that wouldn't have fit in with the feel good moment.

At least Sharpe's patients know that she genuinely cares about them.  Not surprised that Castro didn't want to deliver the bad news.

Bloom was awful and I don't know what's the deal with her and this guy but it seems weird for some reason. I think it's cool of Reynolds to look out for that intern.

• Love 2

I thought that was JJ Feild, but I had never seen him with dark hair before. He is a fave of mine. Hate that are hooking him up with Bloom. 
I hope covering up for his pet will end up biting Reynold’s in the butt. 
Nice to see the chemo gang again.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I'm sure we all knew something terrible was going to happen to shingles guy as soon as the intern got distracted by the yelling patient. This show isn't predictable at all, is it?

I mean, I know it must be tough to come up with completely new medical scenarios that have never been done before, but that was pulled almost directly from Grey's Anatomy, the "I Saw What I Saw" episode. I mean, seriously--compare the scenes of the intern examining shingles guy and April examining fire lady. They are beat-for-beat identical.

• Love 3

Yeah, I hope we don't see ghost Georgia all season long.  Max can grieve but I don't need the visual.

I like Max.  I'm a Social Worker and have worked in hospitals for over 20 years, both in the civilian and government sector, and I wish there were more doctors and hospital administrators who were willing to think outside the box.  Some of his solutions may seem outlandish for the world we know but at least he's making the effort...and it's a glimpse into a world as I wish it could be. 

Speaking of hospitals, the current one where I work conducts an All Employee Survey every year that asks about how well we feel supported in our jobs, heard by our upper management, how we feel about interoffice communication, feelings about opportunities for professional growth, etc.  It sounds like Max's census veered more into the lives of employees outside the workplace but the concept of the survey itself is not new to me. 

And I knew Max was trying his hardest to avoid talking with anyone about Georgia and that's why he's steering clear of Helen.  He wouldn't be able to keep up the facade for long with her.  He's trying desperately to avoid looking into that corner of his mind.

My heart broke a little for the chemo group.  I hope they make it.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, rove4 said:

I hope we don't see ghost Georgia all season long.  Max can grieve but I don't need the visual.

I hope this doesn't lead to some breakdown in  November where he has to emotionally say goodbye to his ghostwife because someone in the hospital has staged a mini-intervention.  Pretty pretty please don't do something like this.

1 hour ago, rove4 said:

My heart broke a little for the chemo group.  I hope they make it.

100%.  I love that group.  

• Love 8
11 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I hope covering up for his pet will end up biting Reynold’s in the butt. 

I don't because I think Reynolds is right.  The guy is an intern and he is going to make mistakes that is why he is still a student.  And he is right again that this was all on Reynolds, he gave new guy too much responsibility and didn't follow up appropriately himself.  He is bound to make other mistakes, but if he screws up again in the same way -- deliberately keeping stuff away from Reynolds because of panic -- then Reynolds will have an issue, imo.

12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I hate the new cancer doctor.

Me too.  I don't trust her either.  I am getting these All About Eve vibes from her.  There is just something so shady about her. 

11 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Aww, JJ Feild.  He can stay as the PT.  And Bloom wasn't awful this week

PT guy was cute.  Eh, not a fan of Bloom.  I actually liked Candeloro better.

I like Max's new assistant.  She gives him some good deadpan looks.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

I don't because I think Reynolds is right.  The guy is an intern and he is going to make mistakes that is why he is still a student.  And he is right again that this was all on Reynolds, he gave new guy too much responsibility and didn't follow up appropriately himself.  He is bound to make other mistakes, but if he screws up again in the same way -- deliberately keeping stuff away from Reynolds because of panic -- then Reynolds will have an issue, imo.

Well said.  Reynolds got swayed by newbie’s suture skills and confidence and he made a bad decision because of it.  That's really why Reynolds lied to Bloom; he knew he was just as culpable as the intern.  

Lol at everyone still hating Bloom.  It would have been fine if she hadn’t returned, but I do think she was more tolerable this week.  Being sober, maybe?

• Love 4

The woman working with Sharp on the new cancer treatment option....(can't recall her name), but, she seemed ecstatic when she said she bet the insurance company had never even heard about it, like that was a good thing.  If it's not approved, what if insurance won't pay? Maybe, I missed that part. I came in late. 

I thought the scene of the young resident who got distracted in the ER when examining the patient who had shingles particularly unbelievable. EDs are loud places who often have unruly people yelling out.  (I've been in more than my share due to being there with various family members over the last few years.)  For someone in his position, being so distracted that he forgot what he was looking at on the patient was just very disconcerting.  I don't buy it. lol

• Love 4
6 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Me too.  I don't trust her either.  I am getting these All About Eve vibes from her.  There is just something so shady about her. 

I couldn't help but wonder if it's not a coincidence that the patients we know (who are close to Helen and Max) "weren't eligible" for the treatment. We already know she's willing to at least threaten to withhold treatment (which is working) from a patient if she didn't get the job she wanted.

4 hours ago, J0nas3 said:

She’s NOT his assistant. She works in Billing! 😄

lol...I was going to say the same thing!

4 hours ago, maggiegil said:

I'm wondering if ghost Georgia will turn out to be brain cancer

I was trying to decide if she was just a comforting fantasy (that he knows is not there) or if he was really seeing her as a hallucination.

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The woman working with Sharp on the new cancer treatment option....(can't recall her name), but, she seemed ecstatic when she said she bet the insurance company had never even heard about it, like that was a good thing.  If it's not approved, what if insurance won't pay? Maybe, I missed that part. I came in late. 

I thought that, too. If they've truly never heard of this treatment in the health insurance industry, it seems quite likely they'd deny to cover it (or at least not without one or more appeals).

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I do not like new oncologist. She is just rude. I hope all of the young adult crew make it - they are fun recurring characters. I mean they are probably going to have one die or get seriously ill for drama around midseason, but it would be nice if they all survived.

I was thinking they were going to reveal what the one prisoner was in for - since two life sentences, he most likely murdered multiple someones, but they should at least *say* it

7 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I couldn't help but wonder if it's not a coincidence that the patients we know (who are close to Helen and Max) "weren't eligible" for the treatment. We already know she's willing to at least threaten to withhold treatment (which is working) from a patient if she didn't get the job she wanted.

lol...I was going to say the same thing!

I was trying to decide if she was just a comforting fantasy (that he knows is not there) or if he was really seeing her as a hallucination.

I thought that, too. If they've truly never heard of this treatment in the health insurance industry, it seems quite likely they'd deny to cover it (or at least not without one or more appeals).

It would 100% be denied for being experimental. What the show should be doing is saying it is a clinical trial - since it obviously is still going through testing.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Reynolds is not right. He is covering up because that could result in a lawsuit for malpractice and if things are actually working in the patient protection side, a hospital that discharges someone because the person wasn't correctly evaluated might lose money because it will not get reimbursed.

I agree that it is on Reynolds, he is responsible for the intern but the problem is not coming clean about it. The guy could have dies, and taken children with them. Doctors make mistakes and that's why all of them have insurance - to cover for possible mess ups.

Max's way of grieving is not uncommon but I really hope the writers are not going to turn this into a melodramatic plot, or another cancer plot. But they will definitely get him to a breakdown because it is unsustainable when you don't talk about it.

The other oncologist (Castro?) is annoying and arrogant, plus I don't think the actress is any good. 

Bloom story of recovery could be interesting. It is hard to live in pain and refuse medication, and she can have anything she wants anytime. But wild sex during PT session is not really a therapy. Another good story that the writers might simply blow to favor romance and lust. Ugh.

• Love 1

Can they please get rid of that weird jazzy music they play throughout every episode?  I don’t know if they’re trying to be hipster or edgy, but it’s really distracting, not to mention annoying. 

• Love 5
17 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

For someone in his position, being so distracted that he forgot what he was looking at on the patient was just very disconcerting.  I don't buy it. lol

The hospital where I currently work serves as a teaching hospital for the medical school next door.  I totally buy it it, lol. 

My advice for whenever you have to be admitted into a hospital (which hopefully is not often) is to always have that one tenacious family member who will ask 1000 questions of the doctors and nursing staff, will track everything for you (meds, procedures), and basically keep an eagle eye on everything.  Hospitals take a lot of safety precautions but mistakes still happen because people are only human.  

• Like 1
  • Love 4
42 minutes ago, rove4 said:

The hospital where I currently work serves as a teaching hospital for the medical school next door.  I totally buy it it, lol. 

My advice for whenever you have to be admitted into a hospital (which hopefully is not often) is to always have that one tenacious family member who will ask 1000 questions of the doctors and nursing staff, will track everything for you (meds, procedures), and basically keep an eagle eye on everything.  Hospitals take a lot of safety precautions but mistakes still happen because people are only human.  

Yeah, it's a real experience.  I guess you get to know those students/interns.  I get it.  It's just that for me, I've spent so much time in the ED that a woman shouting, wouldn't likely rouse me too much! 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

Whether Georgia is a ghost, a hallucination, wishful thinking, or whatever, she needs to be GONE. What a foolish, weird story line. Max's loss and grief can be demonstrated in a far more intelligent, relatable way. Sure, maybe when we suffer a great loss, we conjure up the deceased person now and then - we may talk to them, either out loud or in our minds, hardly unusual - but the way this is being depicted comes off as hokey to me. Also, I think his friends/co-workers need to back off. He seems to be performing his job duties as expected, and while I understand their concern (of course), if he literally has to say out loud, "Don't talk about this," then they need to respect that. If he becomes so incapacitated as to be a danger to himself, to Luna, or to others at work, sure - step in. But give the guy some space. And I say that as someone who is not really even a big Max fan. 

• Love 8

This show is just so messed up...  First, Max' behavior, while completely normal for him, is completely disruptive to the workplace.  He calls an 'emergency' meeting at noon and everyone is supposed to drop everything and attend?  So, presumably, most of them are not going to get any lunch because they have to get their work done even if Max is ranting and speechifying.  That should relieve their stress levels.  Calling employees to urgent meetings on a whim is not going to endear him to anyone and they were right, their personal lives are not his business and they don't have to share with him if they don't want.  As someone noted upthread, virtually every large hospital/hospital system in the country has an annual job satisfaction survey, conducted anonymously by a legitimate surveyor which then is given to the bosses.  It is usually done online, at the employee's discretion and cannot be mandatory.  The hospital employees are not fools, Max is not their bestie, he's not their dad; and sharing dissatisfaction in an open forum with him is not going to change much, especially if his only answer is that he doesn't have any money to fix anything.  Presumably, any group of employees could've brainstormed the charter bus option and worked out for the employees to pay for it without any help from Max.  The fact that Max, the hospital administrator, arranged and approved this option may actually prove to be a legal liability for the hospital should there be an accident.

There's also the ridiculous notion that all of these attending physicians spend the majority of their working hours wandering around the hospital rather than seeing patients in an outpatient setting.  Even if their offices are in a medical building attached to the hospital, they'd only be spending a small fraction of their time in the actual hospital.  But, at Max' mega meetings, it is almost all attending physicians in attendance.  In real life, the vast, vast majority of hospital employees are not docs.  There'd be nurses, housekeepers, cafeteria workers, office staff and a lot of advanced practice nurses, PA's and the like.

As for the guy in the ER; NO INTERN EVER is allowed to be the only one to assess a patient.  Amongst other things, residents are considered students and there is no insurance that will pay for an intern to manage a case independently.  Everything he does, every note he writes, every plan he makes, must be discussed with an attending physician who must then attest that he/she was physically present and reviewed all the pertinent finding himself/herself.  In real life, in a guy who was not a candidate for admission, it was Bloom's job to see that he was examined and properly assessed.  And, if looking in his ears was so all fired vital, why the hell didn't she take a moment to do it herself? Or specifically remind the intern to look and discuss it with her?  She saw the guy when he came in, it was her job to assess him, not the intern's. Writing a discharge without verifying the findings is grounds for being fired where I practice.  I have to physically lay my eyes upon every single patient seen by a resident, including in outpatient clinic where we see routine checkups. I don't see the patient, there is no billing allowed and the hospital eats the cost. There is also no reason on God's green earth why an intern on the cardiovascular service would be seeing a guy with shingles anyway.  The infectious disease service maybe. 

Of course, in real life, an intern sent to the ER to see a patient, would first report back to a senior resident who would double check his/her findings and then present the case to an attending who would sign off.

Max has got to be making a salary of mid 6 figures at least.  Why doesn't his child have a nanny?  Hospitals are veritable Petri dishes and carrying a young infant up and down the halls, poking his nose into that room and this case; exposes his kid to all sorts of terrifying germs.  He's a doctor, he should know that.  Personally, I wouldn't bring any kid under the age of 2 to visit anyone in a hospital ever, let alone wear and infant on my being while I traipsed up and down the halls.

I agree that Dead Georgia hanging out at home waiting for Max is creepy as he** and makes it seem more like he's got a psychiatric delusion rather than just grieving his less than loving wife.  The movie 'Truly, Madly, Deeply' did it so much better.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 8
On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 1:24 AM, auntiemel said:

I mean, I know it must be tough to come up with completely new medical scenarios that have never been done before, but that was pulled almost directly from Grey's Anatomy, the "I Saw What I Saw" episode. I mean, seriously--compare the scenes of the intern examining shingles guy and April examining fire lady. They are beat-for-beat identical.

Actually, Gray's stole this from ER where I saw it probably 20 years ago.  On ER, Carter was doing a pediatric rotation with Doug.  He saw a kid, diagnosed shingles and sent him on his way.  Carter was just weeks from graduating medical school, and felt like he didn't need to consult his supervising physician.  When Doug asked him about checking the ears, Carter admitted that he hadn't and then went down to the projects to find the kid and do the exam.  His ears were ok in that one, though.  But, essentially the same storyline.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 10/2/2019 at 12:32 AM, Amethyst said:

Got so excited to see JJ Feild.  Especially since I'm re-watching "Turn" right now and I just loved Major Andre.

• Love 2
On 10/2/2019 at 12:38 AM, mommalib said:

Bloom was awful and I don't know what's the deal with her and this guy but it seems weird for some reason. I think it's cool of Reynolds to look out for that intern.

Have to agree.  I actually thought maybe she was one who may have died in the crash.  I believe a poster, or several, mentioned they didn't think she would be returning due to pregnancy (believe she's since had the baby) so I was surprised, and a bit disappointed, that she returned.   Also, why did she look so much like a Sandra Bullock clone--the hair, makeup--she looks so different this season.   And yeah, really, she and PT guy - WTH??   Guess she has found a new way to cope with therapy, LOL!    Yep - like that Reynolds is taking the intern under his wing; hope this was truly a lesson learned for the intern,

4 hours ago, Biggie B said:

Whether Georgia is a ghost, a hallucination, wishful thinking, or whatever, she needs to be GONE. What a foolish, weird story line. Max's loss and grief can be demonstrated in a far more intelligent, relatable way. Sure, maybe when we suffer a great loss, we conjure up the deceased person now and then - we may talk to them, either out loud or in our minds, hardly unusual - but the way this is being depicted comes off as hokey to me. Also, I think his friends/co-workers need to back off. He seems to be performing his job duties as expected, and while I understand their concern (of course), if he literally has to say out loud, "Don't talk about this," then they need to respect that. If he becomes so incapacitated as to be a danger to himself, to Luna, or to others at work, sure - step in. But give the guy some space. And I say that as someone who is not really even a big Max fan. 

And honestly, for (1) - Georgia wasn't even cast that much in S1 and (2) - it seemed like she and Max were at odds--even in the flashback of their relationship, engagement, then eventual marriage.  They've shown her with more importance now as an apparition (or scary vision) than she was in S1.   Unsure why her role is so pivotal now (I get he's grieving and "sees" her but agreed - be gone!

Lazy writing - you're right; they could have found a more tangible and realistic way to demonstrate Max's loss AND how long will we, the viewers,, have to endure this episodic adventure?

• Love 3
On 10/2/2019 at 12:32 AM, Amethyst said:

Exactly!  Other than the inmate saying he was convicted for a crime he DID commit (typical), I though Iggy's solution was rather pathetic.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, cathmed said:

And honestly, for (1) - Georgia wasn't even cast that much in S1 and (2) - it seemed like she and Max were at odds--even in the flashback of their relationship, engagement, then eventual marriage.  They've shown her with more importance now as an apparition (or scary vision) than she was in S1.   Unsure why her role is so pivotal now (I get he's grieving and "sees" her but agreed - be gone!

Please tell me that no actual hospital would allow a large group of prisoners in?  Instead of, say, teaching the class in the prison?

I hate ghosts in movies/on TV - they're almost as boring as having to listen to other people's dreams.

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Please tell me that no actual hospital would allow a large group of prisoners in?  Instead of, say, teaching the class in the prison?

I hate ghosts in movies/on TV - they're almost as boring as having to listen to other people's dreams.

No, of course not.  The hospital where I did my residency did have a contractual arrangement with the state prison to allow inmates with medical problems to be seen in the outpatient clinic and ER.  There was a prison ward in the hospital which was a locked 4 bed hospital room where inmates who needed inpatient care were housed.  Inmates were brought to the clinic singly with a guard for each prisoner.  Prisoners who were admitted were in a locked ward with a guard outside the door 24/7.  At one point, there was a prisoner who had a massive heart attack and was in the ICU on life support.  The guards insisted on cuffing him to the bed even though he was unconscious and one of the guards was at the foot of his bed at all times.  He died without ever waking up, let alone trying to escape.

It goes without saying that a large group of prisoners would not be brought to the hospital just to attend a class that could have easily been held in the prison nor would they have ever been allowed any sort of direct contact with other patients, especially children.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

No, of course not.  The hospital where I did my residency did have a contractual arrangement with the state prison to allow inmates with medical problems to be seen in the outpatient clinic and ER.  There was a prison ward in the hospital which was a locked 4 bed hospital room where inmates who needed inpatient care were housed.  Inmates were brought to the clinic singly with a guard for each prisoner.  Prisoners who were admitted were in a locked ward with a guard outside the door 24/7.  At one point, there was a prisoner who had a massive heart attack and was in the ICU on life support.  The guards insisted on cuffing him to the bed even though he was unconscious and one of the guards was at the foot of his bed at all times.  He died without ever waking up, let alone trying to escape.

It goes without saying that a large group of prisoners would not be brought to the hospital just to attend a class that could have easily been held in the prison nor would they have ever been allowed any sort of direct contact with other patients, especially children.

Thanks for the info, I was really hoping that was the case.  I know a lot of these dreadful shows (that we continue to watch!) play with the truth, but that seems particularly egregious.

35 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I had minor surgery when I was 15 and there was a prisoner from the county jail at the other end of the short stay unit. He spent the day handcuffed to his bed with two guards sitting next to him the whole time (no idea what he was there for). There was another girl about five beds away from him when they brought him in but her mother asked the nurses to move her, so they put her down by me. (Our moms chatted while we slept.) There were only a few other patients so he was by himself at the far end of the unit.

• Love 1

New Amsterdam's real-life counterpart has its own prison ward, both for sick/injured and psychiatric patients.  There is also a psychiatric ward at Elmhurst Hospital in Queens for female inmates.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Bloom shouts verbal abuse at her PT for half an episode, he enjoys this abuse for some reason (because she's hot, right writers?) and mutters some deadpan sarcasm, then she falls on him, and they just start making out and rolling around in their very public professional space? Completely unrealistic and inappropriate! That felt like a plot from a porn movie, not a medical show. I'm surprised they didn't throw a third person in there just for fun.

They played it for laughs, but that only undermines the scenes where they do try to be heavy/dramatic. In this case, it undermined the Bloom/Reynolds confrontation about the unsupervised intern, which is obviously a serious story:

• Reynolds (smelling the sex on Bloom): "You seem better."
  • Bloom (sweaty and with hair out of place): "Yeah? I think I found something that helps!"

HAHAHA! Well done writers! She had sex so now she's done being mean! Very clever.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Superpole2000 said:

Bloom shouts verbal abuse at her PT for half an episode, he enjoys this abuse for some reason (because she's hot, right writers?) and mutters some deadpan sarcasm, then she falls on him, and they just start making out and rolling around in their very public professional space? Completely unrealistic and inappropriate! That felt like a plot from a porn movie, not a medical show. I'm surprised they didn't throw a third person in there just for fun.

And what are the odds not a single other person in the hospital needed PT at the same time? The whole place is just conveniently empty.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

And what are the odds not a single other person in the hospital needed PT at the same time? The whole place is just conveniently empty.

I had outpatient PT after surgery and there were at least half a dozen therapists there every day, not to mention students and office staff.  And each of the half dozen therapists was working with at least one patient at any given moment, all in the same space.   There were also a fair number of family members, friends hanging out waiting for someone to finish their appointment.  At no time was there fewer than a dozen people in the main therapy room.  There was also the fact that it was a public place and anyone wandering around the medical facility could walk right in at any time during the day since the doors were kept unlocked during business hours.

No way a patient and PT specialist are going to get down and dirty in a public space like that.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Superpole2000 said:

She should've at least shouted a curse word because engaging in intercourse would hurt that leg.

And I have never had OT or PT in a hospital setting - but I have had it at outpatient clinics near hospitals, and there are always so many sessions going on. Even in the semi private rooms, there is at least one other session going on. Maybe the PT is a minuteman

22 hours ago, Superpole2000 said:

Completely unrealistic and inappropriate! That felt like a plot from a porn movie, not a medical show.

What?  Haven't you watched any of the myriad medical shows on tv?  That's plot trope #15 in the writers' handbook.  I just hope they cleaned up the mat afterward.

Great idea for a charter bus, right up until it has a fender bender in morning traffic, and has to stay there until the PD report is done.  40 people didn't report to work on time.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

What?  Haven't you watched any of the myriad medical shows on tv?

I've always felt bad for the doctors who actually want to sleep with all of the inappropriateness of getting it on. 

• LOL 3

I wish I liked the actor who plays Max more.  He's got the smirk down pat and I find it as annoying as when George Clooney does it.

I do like Helen and she's basically the main reason I still watch. 

• Love 1
On 10/3/2019 at 6:41 AM, alexvillage said:

Bloom story of recovery could be interesting. It is hard to live in pain and refuse medication, and she can have anything she wants anytime.

No, she can't have anything she wants anytime; she has a history of addiction.

Even if she didn't, the US is currently undergoing opioid hysteria, denying thousands of people with legit pain problems any sort of relief. I was dx with a rare and painful muscle disease when I was 24, and while it was never a full solution, I used either Tramadol or Percocet for the last 15 years, no problems at all. A low daily dose simply allowed me to take the edge of the pain enough to keep living independently and working full time. As of this past July, I am denied any sort of pain relief, let alone opioids, on the grounds that I "might become addicted".

The fact that I was able to use opioids for 15 years, abruptly stop them, and feel no negative effects except obviously a ton of pain should speak for itself. But no doctor cares.

At any rate, the reason I share this is because the show is depicting real life. There are people who are struggling to be productive members of society despite debilitating pain, and they are being told to take a Tylenol or do some breathing exercises. Bloom's story arc, quite sadly, is all too real.

On 10/3/2019 at 3:04 PM, doodlebug said:

Max has got to be making a salary of mid 6 figures at least.  Why doesn't his child have a nanny? 

Not to mention, didn't Georgia initially want to stay with her parents in CT when she got put on bedrest? So presumably there is at least one set of grandparents close by...

• Love 1
13 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

No, she can't have anything she wants anytime; she has a history of addiction.

Even if she didn't, the US is currently undergoing opioid hysteria, denying thousands of people with legit pain problems any sort of relief. I was dx with a rare and painful muscle disease when I was 24, and while it was never a full solution, I used either Tramadol or Percocet for the last 15 years, no problems at all. A low daily dose simply allowed me to take the edge of the pain enough to keep living independently and working full time. As of this past July, I am denied any sort of pain relief, let alone opioids, on the grounds that I "might become addicted".

The fact that I was able to use opioids for 15 years, abruptly stop them, and feel no negative effects except obviously a ton of pain should speak for itself. But no doctor cares.

I agree with you about the opioid crisis hysteria. While very real, it is also a bad/no solution for people who are actually living in pain. I have friends in the same boat you are.

But Bloom works in a hospital and she could get the meds she wants, if she wanted them (not necessarily in the right way but it could happen). The story could be interesting if they did it right, the temptation, her struggle, and even incorporating the reality you experience.

• Love 3

I am binging on this season so I am MONTHS behind. The shingles patient storyline bugged me on a couple levels:

1. No one Double-checking the intern’s findings on the patient and discharging him. 

2. Bloom (full disclosure-I am not a fan) telling them guy that he can take OTC meds for the pain. It is a scientific fact that shingles can cause severe pain that warrants a script painkiller of some sort. For Bloom to discount the patient’s pain was deplorable. I feel like she’s putting her limitations in terms of pain relief on others. The writers did a really bad job with that one.