Type keyword(s) to search

2019 Auditions, Finals, and Training Camp Spoilers

Drogo
  • Start Topic

I recall reading a Q & A with Judy a few years ago online. She said she hated the stool but they made her sit on it, and she said that doing Thunderstruck at every game was a mandate that came down from on high and is not something within her and Kelli's control. I'm sure it's tied to Cowboys branding and marketing strategies and it is a part of their brand recognition now. So, you know, if the Jones clan thinks it's part of what makes them rich, it will stay. Also, I can imagine that someone made a huge deal with some entity tied to the song royalties, so again, I think money is involved and that the persistence of T-struck is about the money or what they perceive is helping to make their money.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, M1977G said:

She said she hated the stool but they made her sit on it, and she said that doing Thunderstruck at every game was a mandate that came down from on high and is not something within her and Kelli's control. 

I can believe it.  Re-watching season 8 or 9, I think - but they got an email at midnight before the first home game telling them about a new touchdown dance they had to do.  So it's not like anyone in the organization thinks of the cheerleaders when it comes to music played at a game.

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, go4luca said:

We are guessing the DCCMakingtheteam post above might be the new intro.  It may not be.  New promo would be a better choice of words.

It is the new intro...sung by Cassadee Pope. 

Edited by ShellyB
  • Useful 4
  • Love 9
(edited)

Changing the subject a bit, but, regarding DCC diversity: I was just looking at that Pompedia site posted above and I see that the DCC had more black cheerleaders in 1973--in what was still basically the Jim Crow South--than they do right now. And that still will be the case if Kat makes the team. I've always thought that they should do some serious recruiting with HBCU dance teams, of which there are plenty in the region. And it's so ridiculous that it's Texas and they always have so few Latinas and most of them are white-passing or close to it. With Lacey gone and Alexandra cut, are there any Latina contenders for this year's team? And with Gabby cut and Yuko retired, I think Chandi is the only candidate of Asian descent this year. Not that I'm saying anything new, but: not a good look for the DCC, if they really want to be America's Sweethearts representing America's Team. The DCC do targeted recruiting and have done so for years. I think it's time they revise their strategy. If you want to recruit the best of the best and have a truly diverse pool of candidates, you need to recruit heavily and widely. If they already are recruiting at HBCUs, they're not doing a good job and need to rework their tactics (I can't recall any black DCC graduating from an HBCU since I started watching in season 3). Kelli has mad respect for marching bands, and many college black marching bands are the shit--and I know she knows this--and it's with these bands that a lot of very talented, disciplined, well-educated women of color are trained and can be found. Send some black DCC alumni to recruit at these schools!! And surely there are Latinx dance troupes and such in Texas that they can reach out to to try to draw in more Latinas, etc. 

Speaking of recruiting, like others have mentioned before, I'd really like to hear/see more about the scouting and prelims free-passes the DCC do to recruit. I recall that Sydney Durso (one of my faves even if she's not a forum fave!) and Katie Marie (now Cherry, another of my faves) both were invited to audition and got to skip round one auditions. But I didn't learn that on the show and it would be an interesting thing to see from behind the scenes after so many years.

Edited by M1977G
  • Useful 1
  • Love 13
7 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

But she didn't make the team.  We saw what CMT wanted us to see.  At least that's what I believe.

Kelli and Char are executive producers of the show; we saw what they wanted us to see too. 

• Love 5
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Loves2Dance said:

Kelli and Char are executive producers of the show; we saw what they wanted us to see too. 

I worded my comments wrong of course.   My intention of "she didn't make the team" was simply to point out that she didn't.  So many posts said "she was promised a spot" that in another 2 years people will forget she didn't and she will be a 2 year veteran before she even finishes her rookie year.  I do agree with everyone that her behavior was not the best and what was portrayed actually happened.  

Edited by parrotfeathers
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

I worded me comments wrong of course.   My intention of "she didn't make the team" was simply to point out that she didn't.  So many posts said "she was promised a spot" that in another 2 years people will forget she didn't and she will be a 2 year veteran before she even finishes her rookie year.  I do agree with everyone that her behavior was not the best and what was portrayed actually happened.  

Just because she didn't make the team, doesn't automatically mean she wasn't promised a spot on the team. I think, based off Kelli's words, body language and reactions, she never expected Vikkie to enter training camp and be the hot mess she was. In truth, Vikkie cost herself her spot and Kelli may, or may not, have had to break any promises she made. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 14
4 minutes ago, Pebbles116 said:

I just adore Erin. I think she is so underrated around these parts but she and Caroline are KILLER. Sigh.

Thank you for mentioning her name.  LOL I was having a hard time figuring out who this was *embarrassed sigh* 😞

• Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:54 PM, EricaShadows said:

Kelly said (as close as I can come at the moment): "I'm not sure if today is helping or not with she is not at her trimmest state but she's got probably the best hair and the best legs in the room." 

Victoria's legs are actually really great, even in a room of dancers.  In high school, everyone thought her legs were awesome.

And also, Kitty is really awesome.  She has a good eye for spotting excellence.  She loved Olivia S. and Holly P. a lot and they were  really good dancers.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

Didn't Erin get at least two Barbies already? She even got one the year she was one of the first cuts. Pretty impressive. I really was not a fan her first audition, but she was a hot mess and busted her butt for the next year and came back a different performer. One thing I really like about Erin is that she went for DCC in spite of her fine arts dance peers and professors looking down on her desire to audition. I think that takes guts, especially to come back a second time after being one of the first cuts on national (international) TV and risking getting cut again. I could see her being a 2nd leader next year.  

• Love 16
2 minutes ago, M1977G said:

Didn't Erin get at least two Barbies already? She even got one the year she was one of the first cuts. Pretty impressive. I really was not a fan her first audition, but she was a hot mess and busted her butt for the next year and came back a different performer. One thing I really like about Erin is that she went for DCC in spite of her fine arts dance peers and professors looking down on her desire to audition. I think that takes guts, especially to come back a second time after being one of the first cuts on national (international) TV and risking getting cut again. I could see her being a 2nd leader next year.  

I think so. I have her pegged for point if she stayed for another 2 seasons. 

• Love 7

Oh VK could have very well been guaranteed a spot on the team. It's not that hard to believe really. If it happened before she even got into TCC. It's perfectly plausible that she was, but they didn't expect her to gain so much weight or be immature, and lie about things... So there ya go. Just because she was cut doesn't mean the rumors weren't true. 

• Love 17
1 hour ago, M1977G said:

Changing the subject a bit, but, regarding DCC diversity: I was just looking at that Pompedia site posted above and I see that the DCC had more black cheerleaders in 1973--in what was still basically the Jim Crow South--than they do right now. And that still will be the case if Kat makes the team. I've always thought that they should do some serious recruiting with HBCU dance teams, of which there are plenty in the region. And it's so ridiculous that it's Texas and they always have so few Latinas and most of them are white-passing or close to it. With Lacey gone and Alexandra cut, are there any Latina contenders for this year's team? And with Gabby cut and Yuko retired, I think Chandi is the only candidate of Asian descent this year. Not that I'm saying anything new, but: not a good look for the DCC, if they really want to be America's Sweethearts representing America's Team. The DCC do targeted recruiting and have done so for years. I think it's time they revise their strategy. If you want to recruit the best of the best and have a truly diverse pool of candidates, you need to recruit heavily and widely. If they already are recruiting at HBCUs, they're not doing a good job and need to rework their tactics (I can't recall any black DCC graduating from an HBCU since I started watching in season 3). Kelli has mad respect for marching bands, and many college black marching bands are the shit--and I know she knows this--and it's with these bands that a lot of very talented, disciplined, well-educated women of color are trained and can be found. Send some black DCC alumni to recruit at these schools!! And surely there are Latinx dance troupes and such in Texas that they can reach out to to try to draw in more Latinas, etc. 

Speaking of recruiting, like others have mentioned before, I'd really like to hear/see more about the scouting and prelims free-passes the DCC do to recruit. I recall that Sydney Durso (one of my faves even if she's not a forum fave!) and Katie Marie (now Cherry, another of my faves) both were invited to audition and got to skip round one auditions. But I didn't learn that on the show and it would be an interesting thing to see from behind the scenes after so many years.

Lisa Mills and Kristin Dodd are 'Latina's', so is Alanna Tarango.

The U.S. Census Bureau defines the term Hispanic or Latino to refer to "a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin regardless of race" and states that Hispanics or Latinos can be of any race, any ancestry, any ethnicity. Generically, this limits the definition of Hispanic or Latino to people from the Caribbean, Central and South America, or other Hispanic (Spanish) culture or origin, regardless of race. Latino can refer to males or females, while Latina refers to only females.

Because of the technical distinctions involved in defining "race" vs. "ethnicity," there is confusion among the general population about the designation of Hispanic identity. Currently, the United States Census Bureau defines six race categories:

• White or Caucasian
  • Black or African American
  • American Indian or Alaska Native
  • Asian
  • Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander
  • Some Other Race

According to census reports, of the above races the largest number of Hispanic or Latinos are of the White race, the second largest number come from the Native American/American Indian race who are the indigenous people of the Americas. The inhabitants of Easter Island are Pacific Islanders and since the island belongs to Chile they are theoretically Hispanic or Latinos. Because Hispanic roots are considered aligned with a European ancestry (Spain/Portugal), Hispanic/Latino ancestry is defined solely as an ethnic designation (similar to being Norse or Germanic). Therefore, a person of Hispanic descent is typically defined using both race and ethnicity as an identifier—i.e., Black-Hispanic, White-Hispanic, Asian-Hispanic, Amerindian-Hispanic or "other race" Hispanic.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, ThreaLevelMidnight said:

Oh gosh please tell me the rumors about Amy being point are false. Her personality and her dancing just give off a repelling combo of annoying and arrogant.

My votes for point, in order: Gina, Bridget, Caroline, Heather. 

I would never in a million years get arrogant from Amy. Are you following her IG, arrogant couldn’t be further from what I see there. 

4 hours ago, Jazzmom said:

Cameo day!

52F452F9-04F9-43E2-8CDF-9F08E9658D48.jpeg

Madeline is bringing it here. Her hair looks awesome! She looks beautiful and not just dorky cute. Love. 

Also, this no-spoilers thing is BS. Last war I went unspoiled because I thought it would be more fun and this board was amazing and I missed it (and yes, I went back and reread everything I missed. It took weeks!) and now I’m here and there is nothing!!! Grrr! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, notvictoria said:

Victoria's legs are actually really great, even in a room of dancers.  In high school, everyone thought her legs were awesome.

And also, Kitty is really awesome.  She has a good eye for spotting excellence.  She loved Olivia S. and Holly P. a lot and they were  really good dancers.

I need a snort laugh emoji!

• LOL 19
  • Love 5
(edited)
58 minutes ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

Oh VK could have very well been guaranteed a spot on the team. It's not that hard to believe really. If it happened before she even got into TCC. It's perfectly plausible that she was, but they didn't expect her to gain so much weight or be immature, and lie about things... So there ya go. Just because she was cut doesn't mean the rumors weren't true. 

By that logic, the “guarantee” was we’ll put you on the team as long as you don’t gain weight and follow through on all your responsibilities. That’s not a guarantee. That’s “if you don’t handle your business in the way we expected you to, then we’ll cut you”. 

Edited by TinyHands
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, hathorlive said:

It's interesting that she's wearing a top/romper thing that blouses out at the waist.  Is weight still an issue for her?  I don't think I would want to stand anywhere near Kat.  That girl is lean with the DCC body VK desperately wants.

13 hours ago, heckkitty said:

I suspect that’s just a style she likes. Maybe she’s self conscious about her mid section because that’s where she had the most noticeable issues in the past. Her face, arms, & legs all look better in that pic than they did last year. 

I think it's her style preference. If you look at all of her solo costumes (not just DCC, but when competing, too) and her dance video practice outfits, she tends to go for the billowy, looser tops. I suspect she has always been self-conscious about her tummy/waist area -- first, she's a "big" girl (large frame) in the dance world, so she's always going to look bigger than everyone else in the room no matter how in shape/toned she is and, second, she hasn't always been in the best shape (talking DCC/dance world here, not real world), with even the slightest gain making her stand out even more. So, I think she gravitates toward the looser fit when given the choice.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Tootie said:

Looks like Judy's stool won't get cut from TC! lol

2019-07-21 (50).png

I hope they do the segment again with the GL's putting stickers on photos and explaining why (or why not).  It's nice to hear a different perspective, but I realize it might be hard for them when they know the other girls will see/hear it on the show.

• Love 18
25 minutes ago, TinyHands said:

By that logic, the “guarantee” was we’ll put you on the team as long as you don’t gain weight and follow through on all your responsibilities. That’s not a guarantee. That’s “if you don’t handle your business in the way we expected you to, then we’ll cut you”. 

No she was promised a spot on the team before they knew that would happen. It's not that hard to accept, if true. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
13 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

I hope they do the segment again with the GL's putting stickers on photos and explaining why (or why not).  It's nice to hear a different perspective, but I realize it might be hard for them when they know the other girls will see/hear it on the show.

Do they really care? Those last two promo videos of cuts and bad tryouts don't show a whole lot of caring about other's feelings.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, hannahbanana said:

Do they really care? Those last two promo videos of cuts and bad tryouts don't show a whole lot of caring about other's feelings.

I would think the GL's would care as they aren't that far removed from being on the other side of it.

And it will be very interesting to read the episode threads this year, especially the ones for auditions, semis and finals.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, scorpio1031 said:

I would think the GL's would care as they aren't that far removed from being on the other side of it.

And it will be very interesting to read the episode threads this year, especially the ones for auditions, semis and finals.

True, but they don't control what is shown on tv. I took your original post as it might be hard for those making the show & deciding what goes into it (Kelli), so it might not be done. I don't think Kelli cares. But reading your post the other way, I agree -- it would be nice to see that segment again, but hard on the group leaders.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

I'd like to see them go back to using different songs thru the season.  They could always take a couple of the sideline dances and expand upon them as well.

I fully agree that TS is stale, but they probably are loathe to change because they (not DCC) would have to change the pregame video of the Cowboys that the big screen toggles with video of the girls.  And they probably want something “manly” to intro the Cowboys.   

4 hours ago, notvictoria said:

She also loved Morgan and the girl could not remember a sequence.  

I don’t think the fact that she loved Olivia and Holly show any tremendous gifts for spying talent.  Rock stars like Holly P, Melissa, Megan C, Amy (retired Amy) are clearly talented.   You don’t even need to have any experience with dance to be able to recognize their prowess.   

I just rewatched S7 with the way she talked to Danielle and others about their thickness and none of them were anywhere near the weight gain that VK showed.  She was horrible about Vivian in her first season of TCC and about little Megan (the one with the alleged thutt). 

I just hate the hypocrisy.  

• Love 24
4 hours ago, notvictoria said:

Well, Olivia S was her daughter in law at one time.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 7/21/2019 at 12:01 AM, HowdeeDo said:

...Amy’s personality is straight out of Disney channel sunshine land. Not sure how you see it as arrogant over Gina but to each their own. 

I can see ANYONE at point BUT Gina.  I do not like her persona or facials at all.  She has toned down her "extra-ness" and I'll give her credit for that.  I'm not on the Gina bandwagon, however, and never will be.  I'll be glad when she is finally gone. 

Edited by Kayce
  • Love 5

Now that we have confirmation from Shelly B that VK and the other SG rookies are NOT going to Oxnard as “several credible insiders” had said...all future “insider” info is back to a grain of salt for me. 🤣

It’s entertaining to believe someone (aka Veruca 🙄) threw a fit to their mommy and mommy ran to her bestie to get their way....but most of us pretty much knew that was just pot stirring.  But, if there really are “insiders” feeding someone this bad info...they’re laughing right now that so many bought it!  

🤣😂🤣😂

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, IHopeUDance said:

Now that we have confirmation from Shelly B that VK and the other SG rookies are NOT going to Oxnard as “several credible insiders” had said...all future “insider” info is back to a grain of salt for me. 🤣

It’s entertaining to believe someone (aka Veruca 🙄) threw a fit to their mommy and mommy ran to her bestie to get their way....but most of us pretty much knew that was just pot stirring.  But, if there really are “insiders” feeding someone this bad info...they’re laughing right now that so many bought it!  

🤣😂🤣😂

Not to imply this forum has any real power, but clearly TBTB do have conversations here monitored.   Is it possible they changed their minds when they realized how badly it would be perceived if rookies (or, let’s face it, VK) was going to Oxnard?

ill be in my corner wearing my tinfoil hat now.  🙃

I will echo what others have said: if they weren’t in such a lockdown for ALL news, we fans would not be speculating and so hungry for any tiny morsel with a shred of possible credibility.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 16
34 minutes ago, IHopeUDance said:

🤣😂🤣😂

I remember one person repeating what they had heard and the rest was just comments and speculation.  Considering what happened last year, I don’t see that ending anytime soon.  So far, insider info has been right far more than it’s been wrong.

• Love 17
9 hours ago, hannahbanana said:

Except I don't think the "as long as you don't gain weight/follow through on your responsibilities" was ever part of the equation. I wouldn't imagine Kelli ever thought it needed it to be.

I don't think it was an outright promise, as in Kelli walked up to her and said, "Victoria, come to auditions and you're on the team," but more something that's been understood / a given for a very long time: as soon as Victoria is old enough, she WILL be a DCC. Never in her wildest dreams do I think Kelli ever imagined a scenario like last year would happen. I'm sure she just thought Victoria would come, go through training camp, and become a DCC -- instead she got an immature child with an overt weight gain who she still gave chance after chance until she just plain ran out of time/excuses. Kelli tried her hardest to put VK on the team last year, but in the end VK turned out to be such a mess that there was no way Kelli could justify it.

100%

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, DAthene said:

Not to imply this forum has any real power, but clearly TBTB do have conversations here monitored.   Is it possible they changed their minds when they realized how badly it would be perceived if rookies (or, let’s face it, VK) was going to Oxnard?

ill be in my corner wearing my tinfoil hat now.  🙃

I will echo what others have said: if they weren’t in such a lockdown for ALL news, we fans would not be speculating and so hungry for any tiny morsel with a shred of possible credibility.  

No, I don’t think anyone believes that within 10 days of leaving for Oxnard,  Kelli hears that a handful of people on a gossip forum might be outraged at the thought of VK may be going to Oxnard, so she canceled all the rookies flights, hotel rooms, reassigned roommates, and had Judy change every dance formation to just keep those few anonymous people on a random forum happy. 🤷🏼‍♀️  You’re right, I’m sure this forum doesn’t have that kind of power. Lol 

• Love 12
12 minutes ago, Sillisusu said:

So we don’t know for sure VK was guaranteed a spot? Is there inside info leading us to that conclusion?

Nope. No true “insider” info.  Just speculation & gossip.  Kelli may have infuriated some on the forum for giving VK every chance possible during camp last year, but proved to everyone that by the time the final team takes the field, if the spot isn’t earned it’s not guaranteed to anyone, including her best friend’s daughter.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 7/21/2019 at 8:57 AM, hathorlive said:

It's interesting that she's wearing a top/romper thing that blouses out at the waist.  Is weight still an issue for her?  I don't think I would want to stand anywhere near Kat.  That girl is lean with the DCC body VK desperately wants.

I'm not a VK fan, but I think she looks great in that romper.   Before I saw the picture and heard about it, I was imagining a very casual summer romper with flip flops type of thing.  Those are actually very "in" now, styled with strappy sandals, wedges etc, and I thought it looked great on her.  

• Love 12