Type keyword(s) to search

S14 E07: Proving You're the Best

Drogo
Message added by Drogo

NO SPOILERS IN THIS TOPIC.  Click here to read the rules before posting.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, ElenaFR said:

Meredith needs to go. Enough of this experiment. Heck, Kat needs to go too. 

These two also show how pointless it is to have the guest choreographer offer the stickers and input about who makes it. A professional choreographer or dance instructor won't care if the girl is pretty or whose daughter she is. All they'd focus on is performance and dance talent. It looked like Cheryl Burke genuinely did not understand why Kat was there. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
7 hours ago, dccfangirl said:

Would not agree for Caroline for point tho! That was BIZARRE. I know who gets point but if I could choose it would be Gina - she is the most reliable dancer even tho she's not my fave DCC.

Remember what Kash said: “You can trust her.” The point of the triangle is a strong dancer and a leader in every sense of the word. Caroline is the best of the pack.

Oh, and I loved the reaction of everyone when Caroline made show group. She has major squad support.

Yaay Ashley and Rachel for making show group this year! Such good spunk and energy.

Rachel W.—beautiful. Exactly what Kelli said.

Madeline S. (upon seeing her makeover): “Well, hello, sunshine.” Adorable. And self affirming. I love it.

Chandi is still my favorite TCC so far. There’s nothing to dislike about her!

• Love 19
13 hours ago, Route66 said:

There is no reason for Meredith being here. She can't pick up choreography, she can't dance the power DCC style, and she totally lacks any sort of personality or cheerful attitude ala Jordan Chanley. She cries and looks despondent as she screws up over and over.

What was with Kat and the named wigs? It's weird that they'd show that because now viewers and fans will always look at her and think about her fake hair. 

I would have kept Alexandra. You're always going to have blenders and the amount of pride, humility, and dedication she'd have to the uniform and organization would be unmatched. 

Give Jalyn a break. Seeing rookies make SG over her had to be devastating. Especially VK as clearly everyone knew the fix was in for her to make the team. 

13 hours ago, Route66 said:

There is no reason for Meredith being here. She can't pick up choreography, she can't dance the power DCC style, and she totally lacks any sort of personality or cheerful attitude ala Jordan Chanley. She cries and looks despondent as she screws up over and over.

What was with Kat and the named wigs? It's weird that they'd show that because now viewers and fans will always look at her and think about her fake hair. 

I would have kept Alexandra. You're always going to have blenders and the amount of pride, humility, and dedication she'd have to the uniform and organization would be unmatched. 

Give Jalyn a break. Seeing rookies make SG over her had to be devastating. Especially VK as clearly everyone knew the fix was in for her to make the team. 

Agreed!   

Kelli is like Gretchen from Mean Girls trying to make fetch happen when it comes to Meredith and Kat. Did y’all see her face when Cheryl Burke told her Kat shouldn’t make the team? Dead.

I wonder if Jalyn secretly wanted to tell Kelli to f*ck off in the office. I sure did. Instead she turns meek and blames herself. No one can stand up to these women. Yuck. 

Oh Savanna thinking she has a shot at show group. Bless her heart. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 5
37 minutes ago, PrincessLeia said:

Kelli is like Gretchen from Mean Girls trying to make fetch happen when it comes to Meredith and Kat. Did y’all see her face when Cheryl Burke told her Kat shouldn’t make the team? Dead.

I wonder if Jalyn secretly wanted to tell Kelli to f*ck off in the office. I sure did. Instead she turns meek and blames herself. No one can stand up to these women. Yuck. 

Oh Savanna thinking she has a shot at show group. Bless her heart. 

Lawdy, I am so crazy about this post I may marry it!!

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

Shaina is soooooo gorgeous.

Honestly, I never bought into the Jaylen hype - so don’t think it’s a huge deal she didn’t make show group.  She’s actually never really looked like a DCC to me in both face and figure, and she sees like a typical comp dancer to me - like good, but nothing outstanding.   Ehh.  But it’s very understandable she’d be upset when she was on it before - Kelli needs the chill  - like it’s way worse to get demoted than it is to miss out on a promotion (ala Savannah).

VK’s technique looked good at the footage shown at show group auditions.   Her extension is really good.

Its ridiculous all the extra time Meredith is getting cause she’s pretty.

Kat seems very coordinated, and is doing well picking up the moves considering she’s not a trained dancer, but her technique is (understandably) behind.

Julia looks really good.  She has a lot of power in her dancing and her figure is great.

• Love 6

I skimmed through this thread and didn't see this brought up - what is the deal with Kats' wigs? I would love to see what she looks like with her regular hair. Has anyone seen any pictures of her not in a wig? 

I will say they must be good wigs, because I had no idea it was a wig.

• Love 3

Why even bother showing us the makeovers when everyone gets THE SAME DAMN HAIRSTYLE!   Every single one they showed all had the long layered cut, just different lengths and colors.  Why does Marshall and Co. need to come to a rehearsal to evaluate?

• Love 15

Can someone post everyone that made Show Group? I wish they would just call everyone out. So happy for Ashley and Rachel W. 

Not surprised about Jalyn, she was way down on the big board. And the fact that she was worried about something non-DCC related being an issue was kind of strange to bring up in the first place. They were very assuring of her from what we saw. 

56 minutes ago, VintageJ said:

Why even bother showing us the makeovers when everyone gets THE SAME DAMN HAIRSTYLE!   Every single one they showed all had the long layered cut, just different lengths and colors.  Why does Marshall and Co. need to come to a rehearsal to evaluate?

Lol, my thoughts exactly. It's not a big reveal, why make such a big deal out of it? I would love to see more variety in looks. After seeing game day pics, I think some of them looked better before makeovers... I'm looking at you Kat and Amanda. These girls have lived with their hair and know how to work with it.

• Love 4

Shaina's new hair color is amazing! Big improvement!

Loved Kat naming her wigs and directing the make-over. Kelli and Marshall looked a little stunned during the whole conversation. Even though Kat will always be slow to get the choreography she does blend very well in the group dances and adds some needed diversity to the team. 

Rachel W could be a one woman show group

Wonder if Jalyn did turns and leaps instead of flips if the judges would have noticed her during SG

Lily is looking haggard - like she's not eating enough

Poor Alexandra - maybe it's time to try something else?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Tarode said:

I skimmed through this thread and didn't see this brought up - what is the deal with Kats' wigs? I would love to see what she looks like with her regular hair. Has anyone seen any pictures of her not in a wig? 

I will say they must be good wigs, because I had no idea it was a wig.

I’ve seen a couple posts about Kat’s wigs and obviously black hair is a big mystery to a lot of people lol. Let me give you a couple basics. Most of the black women on this squad have worn wigs. Ashlee is wearing one now (always has) and Khalyn has worn wigs at times. I don’t believe Brianna is wearing one currently but I have to get a decent look.  Dallas heat and humidity is a huge factor and black women's hair reacts to sweat and water much differently than a white woman’s hair. It’s not fun.  If you have shorter hair you might be ok, but if their natural hair is long, thick, or even in bad shape, they’re probably wearing a wig.  Some black women on the squad have pulled it off without wigs just fine, but dancing on that team requires a lot of care, maintenance, wear and tear, and quite frankly chemicals to maintain a consistent look.  It’s a whole different ball game than for white women. Look at every makeover from every season, there’s always a black hairstylist on hand to work with the black women, because there is such a difference.  There have been some funny moments over the years of Kelli learning about black hair. Wearing a wig is the easier option and protects their own hair from the “elements.” It would be a no brainer for me. 

Second, I think your comment about only thinking about Kat’s “fake hair” is immature. As a hairstylist, I can guarantee you come across more people wearing wigs than you think. Also, Kat is far from the only person on that team with “fake hair.” Quite a few girls have extensions adding length or volume. You might want to change your perspective on who wears “fake hair” and why. 

And yes, those are very good wigs...

• Useful 6
  • Love 16
On 9/13/2019 at 10:32 PM, Mardo2044 said:

Oh yeah!  Kashara picked Caroline!  She is a good pick.  The second years have a strong class and if they ever did that I would pick Bridget for point.  (I know its like fantasy football but I can dream!)

Kasahara  NOT picking  Amy or maddie.  that took guts and courage. And I think was a little eye opening for Kelli & Judy.

Sidenote #1: getting a little tired of K&J asking the guest cheorgraher who should  stay/ go. 

Sidenote #2: does Judy ever teach a routine- meaning being up front , moving arms/feet- besides the kick line /jump split & entrance ?

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, healthnut said:

Can someone post everyone that made Show Group? I wish they would just call everyone out. So happy for Ashley and Rachel W. 

Not surprised about Jalyn, she was way down on the big board. And the fact that she was worried about something non-DCC related being an issue was kind of strange to bring up in the first place. They were very assuring of her from what we saw. 

The scene with Jalyn in the office could have been edited too. Maybe she got chewed out for correcting VK but it wasn't shown.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, sATL said:

Kasahara  NOT picking  Amy or maddie.  that took guts and courage. And I think was a little eye opening for Kelli & Judy.

Sidenote #1: getting a little tired of K&J asking the guest cheorgraher who should  stay/ go. 

Sidenote #2: does Judy ever teach a routine- meaning being up front , moving arms/feet- besides the kick line /jump split & entrance ?

Caroline would be A LOT better than Amy or Maddie.  And what the heck w/ Amy w/ that low bun and a headband in that footage of the rehearsal? - she looked like a house wife about to scrub her floors when cameras are filming.  I thought they were supposed to always be camera ready?    Not saying their hair always needs to be down, but she looked really bad and very NOT DCC.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

I thought Kat looked great during the split screen with Kelsey doing the “signature dance” in front of Kashara. More than blending, I thought she popped and made the choreo look vibrant!  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, MyFavShows said:

Caroline would be A LOT better than Amy or Maddie.  And what the heck w/ Amy w/ that low bun and a headband in that footage of the rehearsal? - she looked like a house wife about to scrub her floors when cameras are filming.  I thought they were supposed to always be camera ready?    Not saying their hair always needs to be down, but she looked really bad and very NOT DCC.

Maybe they didn't know they were going to be filmed.  Usually when it isn't a filming night, they wear whatever and pull their hair back.  I mean, have we ever seen them prep like that for SG auditions?

• Love 1

Now I know why Kat is still there despite her mistakes.  When she was talking to Cheryl, all I could think was darn, that woman is excellent at conversing with people.  Ambassador skills are impordunt too 🙂 

Serious question, why was Jacie only captioned as "former DCC"?  Is there a problem with also calling her a Rockette?

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, NoChtngWhenEtng said:

Shaina's new hair color is amazing! Big improvement!

Absolutely, I like it a lot!

9 hours ago, NoChtngWhenEtng said:

Loved Kat naming her wigs and directing the make-over.

Was Kat the one who made that up?  I never wore a wig and know nothing about them, so sorry if this is a dumb question, but don't different styles of wigs have people names? 

9 hours ago, TxBex said:

After seeing game day pics, I think some of them looked better before makeovers... I'm looking at you Kat and Amanda.

I thought Amanda's after looked good, the curls were more defined and they actually didn't screw up her color.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Serious question, why was Jacie only captioned as "former DCC"?  Is there a problem with also calling her a Rockette?

Especially cause they always mention that Melissa R was on DWTS.  That in itself could be another word for our drinking game or DCC bingo:)

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Because DCC is the sole most competitive and prestigious dancing team in all the land and all others are irrelevant

🤣

• LOL 14
1 hour ago, ByTor said:

I wondered the same.  Especially since they love to list former DCC's accomplishments.

13 hours ago, FanOutWest said:

Second, I think your comment about only thinking about Kat’s “fake hair” is immature. As a hairstylist, I can guarantee you come across more people wearing wigs than you think. Also, Kat is far from the only person on that team with “fake hair.” Quite a few girls have extensions adding length or volume. You might want to change your perspective on who wears “fake hair” and why. 

I'm sorry if I offended you - I did not say her fake hair, I said her regular hair. I should have clarified, I wonder what her hair without a wig would look like.

Thank you for the helpful information regarding different women wearing wigs and why. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 9/14/2019 at 9:51 PM, MyFavShows said:

Julia looks really good.  She has a lot of power in her dancing and her figure is great.

Thanks for noticing Julia!  She doesn't get much play on the show.  It used to mean you were likely going to make it, so fingers crossed!

17 hours ago, NoChtngWhenEtng said:

Wonder if Jalyn did turns and leaps instead of flips if the judges would have noticed her during SG

I know they have always had a couple tumblers... thinking Ashely Pro.  But do they actually use tumbling sequences in showgroup?  IDK.  I wondered if Jayln had done something that featured her dance skills if there would have been more judge support for her.  They did not show deliberations.  1 person said "I like her" Kelli then said she didn't write anything, mention she was in showgroup and we did not see the discussion.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, VintageJ said:

Like, I knew they were joking about the pigtails, because obviously they would never. But, even so, I honestly kind of sat there and went, "You know what, go for it. At least it's not the exact same thing as every other exact same thing." 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, FanOutWest said:

The poster you quoted never used the term fake hair. She was simply wondering what Kat’s hair looked like without the wig, and said the wigs were amazing and so natural looking. 

Edited by PrincessLeia
  • Love 7

I wonder if Kashara actually chose Caroline for point.  That was some bad editing.  It sounded like the name "Caroline" was spliced in there, so her name was brought up, but I'm not so sure she was Kashara's ultimate choice.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, ByTor said:

I wonder if Kashara actually chose Caroline for point.  That was some bad editing.  It sounded like the name "Caroline" was spliced in there, so her name was brought up, but I'm not so sure she was Kashara's ultimate choice.

If it sounds spliced then it probably was.

On 9/13/2019 at 10:57 PM, Mardo2044 said:

wow, Jaylyn didn't make show group!?  She was last year's rookie sparkle IMO. Normally they show why they don't make it like when Angela was saying no to performances.  I wish they showed more of the deliberation.  I think Kelli was really harshing on her... of course she was disappointed and removed herself to have a meltdown.  Have a heart.... 

Also they didn't show much of Jalyn except for that tumbling pass and we didn't see much of Victoria either. Just like last year, the only "evidence" we have of how great Victoria is is what we hear people say. I think it speaks volumes that Cheryl didn't mention VK as a standout. They will never be able to convince me that VK is better than Jalyn. She's a big blonde with big teeth and a vapid smile. When she's not smiling and "on" for the camera, she looks dumb, vacant. They realized their mistake in showing us too much last season and are editing the show this season so that we can't really see who is good and who isn't. The bottom line is that Kelli is going to choose the people she has wanted from the first audition and have the show edited to prove that she was right. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Jalyn may not be everyone's idea of what a DCC looks like but she is a great dancer and I appreciate them choosing girls based on that criterion and not just facial features. I'm tired of the girls who can't kick or learn the routines making it just because Kelli likes the way they look. I think Kat is beautiful and spunky but she should not make the team based on those things or diversity needs. She should be told she needs more dance classes and more experience. Another year could make a big difference. I"m all for her making the team, but only if she can deliver dance-wise. I loved Alexandra's personality and drive, but she just wasn't as good as many of the others in TC. 

• Love 2
On 9/14/2019 at 11:38 AM, ByTor said:

My girl Brennan is in TC 🙂 

I finally saw her at the back of a group shot this episode!  Yep, Brennan's my girl, too.  So she's not setting the DCC world on fire and she's probably considered one of their blenders... but last year I just fell for her attitude and determination and I love her.  

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, SSAHotchner said:

They will never be able to convince me that VK is better than Jalyn. She's a big blonde with big teeth and a vapid smile. When she's not smiling and "on" for the camera, she looks dumb, vacant. ... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Jalyn may not be everyone's idea of what a DCC looks like...

I find Jalyn about a million times more attractive than VK!  But there's some weird idea that big blonde hair means you're beautiful. 

As for the "toxic" talk, I think Kelli was just referring to how Jalyn better not act when she came back from the locker room-- that she better not pout or bitch about not making show group.  Which she damn well didn't, Kelli.  Sorry she couldn't manage her extreme disappointment on your schedule, but it looked to me like the second that the team started stretching that Jalyn got her butt back out there and joined in.  

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Mardo2044 said:

I know they have always had a couple tumblers... thinking Ashely Pro.  But do they actually use tumbling sequences in showgroup?  IDK.  I wondered if Jayln had done something that featured her dance skills if there would have been more judge support for her.  They did not show deliberations.  1 person said "I like her" Kelli then said she didn't write anything, mention she was in showgroup and we did not see the discussion.

My guess is they have them do leaps and turns, and then girls who want to show tumbling/acro tricks get to go again and show those.  That’s how most things like that work - it’s not either/or.   A good audition would treat tumbling as separate and would just assume that the girls who chose not to tumble don’t have any tricks of note (which can be totally fine).

I bet Jayln did leaps and turns like the others and it just wasn’t included in the footage for the show.

Edited by MyFavShows
  • Love 3

People who stood out in this episode:

Jalyn: I've never cared for Jalyn, so I didn't mind her getting cut from show group. I wouldn't have put her on it in the first place last year. I wonder if there's a reason other than just getting outdanced in auditions. She was one of Kelli's clear favorites last year, so it's strange to me that they not only cut her but then called her to the carpet afterwards. 

Meredith: She needs to go. She stands out, in a bad way, in every single routine they've shown so far. Even when they're not focusing on her and she's in the background. She may be a beautifully trained ballet dancer, but she can't do the DCC style of dance. If she hasn't gotten it by now, she's not going to. I also don't see the amazing facial beauty that others do. Meredith and Jalyn both have what I consider to be more of a trashy look (or as Kelli calls it, "sexy.") I prefer the natural beauties over the ones with obviously unnatural hair colors and raccoon eyes, but that's just personal taste.

Victoria: I wouldn't have put Victoria on show group, but I'm not surprised that Kelli did. She has improved since last year, but I don't think she's one of the best ones there and I don't think she's outdancing the veterans.

Madeline S: I really like her. She struggles occasionally, but I think she has a lot of potential and as a legacy would be a great asset to the team. She's beautiful, smart, well-spoken, and a good dancer. Maybe not one of the best right now, but also IMO not one of the worst.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, phylogeny said:

Because DCC is the sole most competitive and prestigious dancing team in all the land and all others are irrelevant

🤣

With the most comprehensive audition in the land!

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, Bad Example said:

As for the "toxic" talk, I think Kelli was just referring to how Jalyn better not act when she came back from the locker room-- that she better not pout or bitch about not making show group. 

Yeah, I didn't hear Kelli call her toxic, I thought she said something like there's going to be a problem if she is being toxic.

2 hours ago, kylieanne said:

I'm hoping they cut Madeline next episode. While she is beautiful she is not getting the routines down and I am so over her crying all of the time. Just rip the band aid off already.

Do you mean Meredith?  She's the one always crying.

• Love 1
On 9/15/2019 at 9:56 AM, NoChtngWhenEtng said:

Poor Alexandra - maybe it's time to try something else?

I think she should give it another go. She finally made it into training camp, so that shows she is DCC worthy. If she had never made it to TC after 5 years, then maybe she should give it up. I think one more shot in TC could be her year.

• Love 2
On 9/15/2019 at 10:13 AM, FanOutWest said:

I’ve seen a couple posts about Kat’s wigs and obviously black hair is a big mystery to a lot of people lol. Let me give you a couple basics. Most of the black women on this squad have worn wigs. Ashlee is wearing one now (always has) and Khalyn has worn wigs at times. I don’t believe Brianna is wearing one currently but I have to get a decent look.  Dallas heat and humidity is a huge factor and black women's hair reacts to sweat and water much differently than a white woman’s hair. It’s not fun.  If you have shorter hair you might be ok, but if their natural hair is long, thick, or even in bad shape, they’re probably wearing a wig.  Some black women on the squad have pulled it off without wigs just fine, but dancing on that team requires a lot of care, maintenance, wear and tear, and quite frankly chemicals to maintain a consistent look.  It’s a whole different ball game than for white women. Look at every makeover from every season, there’s always a black hairstylist on hand to work with the black women, because there is such a difference.  There have been some funny moments over the years of Kelli learning about black hair. Wearing a wig is the easier option and protects their own hair from the “elements.” It would be a no brainer for me. 

Yes to all of this! Every season they are taking off weave from several white girls. 

I think Nicole Hamilton, Jasmine, Amy Simone, Jackie Bob, Deryn, Ally Trayllor, and several more all looked like they were wearing a wig or had extensions. 

On 9/15/2019 at 11:03 AM, sATL said:

I'm tired of K&J deciding who should stay or go. They don't see these girls dance a fraction of what MTT shows. I think the coaches who actually see the girls most of the time should decide. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, blairwaldorf said:

Madeline S: I really like her. She struggles occasionally, but I think she has a lot of potential and as a legacy would be a great asset to the team. She's beautiful, smart, well-spoken, and a good dancer. Maybe not one of the best right now, but also IMO not one of the worst.

I hope Kelli can discard her pet projects and make room for Madeline S on the team.  She just lacks power but seems to have everything else.

• Love 1