Type keyword(s) to search

Future Co-Hosts Talk and Speculation: Musical Chairs

mtlchick
  • Start Topic

What I remember from when Rosie was on before... when she was talking in an interview or telling a story or giving an opinion on a subject, it was like you were listening to a friend tell you something. She didn't seem like a host talking at you, but in her  way she brought you into the conversation. I used to think how fun it would be to hang out with Rosie, I bet she is a lot of fun

• Love 8

This discussion has made me think how good it is when the hosts are themselves good story tellers. That is so much of it really. I think back a long time ago to Regis who could tell a funny little story from his evening before (often involving the rich and famous) and it had so much human interest. Rosie is good at that, too. I wish they would have four on the panel who were each good at doing this. They could still discuss topics of some substance. But you can't be that sort of enchanting story teller if you and/or the others are shouting over each other. 

• Love 6
But you can't be that sort of enchanting story teller if you and/or the others are shouting over each other.

I agree, MButterfly, and add that they need to dump those bleeping BLUE CARDS!  The most recent hosts, including Barbara, relied on those cards and forgot how to have a conversation.  Barbara would lose her place and ask questions that had been asked.  Sherri would actually read from her cards while interviewing.  All an interesting person needs are a few basic points and the conversation should flow from there.  Also, if there are guests on the show who demand to know every question every nuance that will be covered--forget 'em!  The old Johnny Carson, Merv Griffin, Mike Douglas models is what they should be going for.  

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 13

What I remember from when Rosie was on before... when she was talking in an interview or telling a story or giving an opinion on a subject, it was like you were listening to a friend tell you something. She didn't seem like a host talking at you, but in her  way she brought you into the conversation. I used to think how fun it would be to hang out with Rosie, I bet she is a lot of fun

Right.   For me, it was always that Rosie had a sincerity that came across.  if she hadn't seen your movie,  watched your tv show, or read your book, she wouldn't pretend she had.  If she had an opinion, she would give it, or keep it to herself.  But when she gave an opinion, it was truly HERS - not something she was told to say to "make sparks".  There were times when she was way off-base, in my opinion, but she said what was on her mind.  

And yes, part of the problem with the recent shows has been those damn Blue cards , as @Former Nun says.  The cards have a place, like in case the host forgets a guest's spouses name, or marital status.  Just kind of a reminder, to avoid a faux pas.  But the habit of READING off the blue cards, and the idea that questions on the cards MUST be asked - that's where the show gets off track.  Guests have to work too hard to get their personality across, because the hosts don't come across as genuine.   

Rosie has always come across as genuinely interested in what people have to say.  And she can make it seem like she is having a conversation with someone, and we're lucky to be hearing it.  

• Love 7

I could be mistaken but I think the blue cards made an appearance after Meredith, Star and Lisa left.    Meredith and Lisa were both journalists and Star was a former attorney so they were all experienced in how to interview someone.  But then they hired Elisabeth who didn't do well answering questions let alone asking them.  And then of course there was Sherri who probably needed a cheat seat to remember which day of the week it was.

Whoopi can be an effective interviewer if she is interested in the guest.  But Rosie is just a natural at it.  I think it's because she truly is interested in the people she is talking to.  On her own show she would have guests that were part of projects she genuinely liked.  I stopped watching her show in the early 2000's so I can't recall if she had guests from reality shows or not. 

I hope since Geddie is gone the new season will provide us with a lot less marginally famous celebs and more guests who have projects worth hearing about.  Although I know it's an election year and I'm sure the View will  have political discussions but with someone who is going to represent the left side of the aisle (God how I still miss Joy) I think maybe I will have to tune in to hear Rosie. 

• Love 4

I agree, Sherri and Elisabeth in particular were far too reliant on those blue cards. Those cards are intended to be only quick reference bullet points or places to write down exact quotes that they may want to mention, but they're not intended to be scripts. It's one thing to rely more heavily on them when a host or interviewer is just learning the ropes, but if they can't learn to move past them in a very short period of time then they're in the wrong business. Relying too heavily on those cards makes organic conversation impossible, which, call me crazy, would seem to be a pretty bad thing on a freaking TALKshow.

It's also not a great idea to have producers conducting the interviews from behind the scenes by nonstop yammering in the hosts' ears the whole time they're on air. I'm sure that's a big part of the reason why all of the hosts so often seemed not to be listening or hearing what the guests were saying. They were too busy listening to the voices in their heads. That's one of the reasons Rosie's interviews were always so far superior to everyone else. She refused to wear the earpiece and actually listened to what the guest was saying so that she could be engaged and ask appropriate spontaneous follow-ups. Now, I imagine not wearing the earpiece at all is probably not a good idea either from a production standpoint, but The View crew's use of them seemed to be particularly bad and distracting, especially in the more recent years.

• Love 8

While we are on the subject of organic conversations, I sincerely hope they do way with the hot topics being scripted. I so miss the days when Meredith and the crew was there and you never knew where the conversation was going to go.  They would be talking about one thing and then the conversation would just naturally flow off into a completely different direction.  But that was before everyone had their own talking points and agenda that needed pushed.

And also, maybe with Rosie coming back there will be someone sitting at that table that actually values the audience, in studio and at home.  The co-hosts of the View the past few years always seemed like the were just killing time and picking up a paycheck by being there. But with Rosie being a fan herself of so many things I think she appreciates all her fans.

• Love 5

Yeah, SusieQ147, and sometimes Meredith would bring out the day's newspaper and they'd chat from that.

Oh, I remember that! The conversation was sometimes pointed, but never heated. It use to be so civilized. I hope the new group is like that too.

• Love 4

Yeah, SusieQ147, and sometimes Meredith would bring out the day's newspaper and they'd chat from that.

Yes, and it was TODAY'S paper - not some news item that everyone had already read and re-hashed on all the news sites for the past week.  Real news, not a "viral video" that we have already seen. 

• Love 5
Yes, and it was TODAY'S paper - not some news item that everyone had already read and re-hashed on all the news sites for the past week.  Real news, not a "viral video" that we have already seen

I'm not even sure they had a "4am guy" during that time.  The hot topics they discussed were actually what everyone was talking about that day.  It was whatever news story broke overnight or whatever big TV event aired the night before.  For me it was must see TV every morning at 11 am.  I couldn't wait to hear Meredith and Joy's take on whatever the big story was.  And even though I wasn't a big fan of Star's she could always be counted on to know her shit when it came to something important.

Having Rosie back will help elevate the discussion because I do think Whoopi will be more engaged if she is sitting with women who contribute something more than what Sherri and Jenny contributed.  As far as who fills the other two seats I will withhold judgment until I see who is officially hired.

• Love 4

I stopped watching her show in the early 2000's so I can't recall if she had guests from reality shows or not.

susieq147, in 2001, the very first week that The Amazing Race was on, Rose talked about it on her show, and SHE is the reason I watched the re-airing that Saturday and have watched every season since.  She talked about Kevin and Drew, the frat brothers, and how funny they were.  "Swing, you fat bastard, swing."  Lol.  Pretty sure they were on her show.

• Love 1

But then they hired Elisabeth who didn't do well answering questions let alone asking them.  And then of course there was Sherri who probably needed a cheat seat to remember which day of the week it was.

OMG susieq147 - - 5 stars with a Maple Leaf Cluster - - (my highest accolade at this stage).  I may retire this evening still chuckling!

I don't remember who referenced Craig Ferguson, but he is the best interviewer on TV IMHO.  Joy was terrific as well.  She has the same warmth and interest.

Craig reads the books, sees the movies or admits he didn't.  Two of the most entertaining and interesting interviews I have ever seen were Craig and Phillip Seymor Hoffman and Craig and Morgan Freeman (Freeman has done more than one show but all the interviews are wide ranging and great)

Love the guy, sorry he is leaving late night tv.

• Love 1

It's one thing to rely more heavily on them when a host or interviewer is just learning the ropes, but if they can't learn to move past them in a very short period of time then they're in the wrong business.

Totally, TribbleTrouble.  As far as future co-hosts are concerned, I would always cut them some slack.  After all, for them, on the job training is on live tv.  I would grant them a short grace period.  After that though, I would expect them to be able to handle themselves.  I think all co-hosts should be weaned off those blasted blue cards.  Okay, on second thought, not weaned off, taken off of them cold turkey.  They need to know how to do their jobs.  I believe that we at home should never, ever have seen the blue cards.  It is the epitome of unprofessional that we even know about them.  I can't think of any other profession where preparation is so unnecessary that you get to prepare on-the-spot.  Why can't they read the blue cards before the show in preparation?  I don't care if they don't memorize names of the spouses and children of a star guest.  They should know how to navigate around that, because as a viewer I don't even care to know those things.  If they cannot do that, then maybe they are in the wrong business.  I am quick to forgive genuine mistakes but lack of preparation is not a mistake.  And the absence of any preparation by the co-hosts on this show is appalling.

• Love 3

I will never forget years ago watching the first behind the scenes special. I was shocked when they explained how every single question was scripted, numbered, and put on the blue cards. Then, they showed how during the live interviews with guests, producers would be shouting in a co-host's ear, "Sherri, go to question 4!"

It was one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. I really couldn't believe how they conducted this talk show, but it explained a lot. After that, I almost always thought of it when I watched the show. I could see the co-hosts reading the next scripted question as the guest was already answering another question, and I could picture the producers shouting in their ears. It totally explained why this show was a mess.

Hopefully, those days are over for good!

• Love 8

I so remember that as well LuckyBitch. Said by SS.

And this was due to BW and BG, imo. Because of their chosen co-hosts and "Make Sparks!" sign.

Totally out of control talk show which never had to take that turn.

I also remember, an article, iirc, BW liked doing special interviews more than this show because (my own words) she could figure out the questions and control it. I'll add.... and edit it.

• Love 2

Yes, that 'behind the scenes' episode was cringe-worthy and much more than we needed to know.  It absolutely ruined their already bad enough reputation with me.  Whoever thought of revealing that to us was an idiot.

Whoopi can be an effective interviewer if she is interested in the guest.  But Rosie is just a natural at it.  I think it's because she truly is interested in the people she is talking to.  On her own show she would have guests that were part of projects she genuinely liked.  I stopped watching her show in the early 2000's so I can't recall if she had guests from reality shows or not.

Yes, along with with CattyTiger said about the Amazing Race, Rosie also had cast of Survivor on the year Elisabeth was on. Ro was so excited about it. That alone, in my mind, helped Elisabeth get that coveted seat on The Spew.  I gave Rosie the credit for EH's career then, even before the split-screen incident.

• Love 3

I remember that Rosie used to solicit clothing and memorabilia from celebs to auction off for charity on her daytime show.  She asked Elisabeth to send her the handcrafted hat she used to wear for votes on Survivor.  Instead, Elisabeth made another hat and sent Rosie that.  Rosie's expression when she displayed the substitute hat is priceless.

Much as I would love to have four or five women who either agreed with me or educated me on any topic, I will be happy with a group of people with great chemistry who educate each other.  That said, I would really, really like there to be at least one child-free woman on the panel because I have had quite enough of the "as-a-mom" introduction to every freakin' sentence uttered.

• Love 8
Instead, Elisabeth made another hat and sent Rosie that.  Rosie's expression when she displayed the substitute hat is priceless.

We must be fair to Elisabeth.  She knows that one day the Smithsonian will come a-callin' for that hat for their National Museum of American History.  It wouldn't be fair to deprive America (and world, for that matter).  That day can't be too far off.

• Love 6

I remember that Rosie used to solicit clothing and memorabilia from celebs to auction off for charity on her daytime show.  She asked Elisabeth to send her the handcrafted hat she used to wear for votes on Survivor.  Instead, Elisabeth made another hat and sent Rosie that.  Rosie's expression when she displayed the substitute hat is priceless.

Much as I would love to have four or five women who either agreed with me or educated me on any topic, I will be happy with a group of people with great chemistry who educate each other.  That said, I would really, really like there to be at least one child-free woman on the panel because I have had quite enough of the "as-a-mom" introduction to every freakin' sentence uttered.

I would love to see that clip... how could we find it?

• Love 2

You're absolutely right about that, Former Nun. I think some of TPTB at ABC knew that Rosie breathed fresh air into the show the short time she was there before

And don't forget the dozen or so Daytime Emmy's she won for her own talk show.  Whoopi may be an EGOT winning Stah, but i think Rosie has a real talent for talking to people and entertaining audiences.  

I remember watching Rosie's show that day. I've just started looking for a clip online but no luck so far.

Haha!  So weird because I remember that show too (actually, I missed very few episodes of TROS.) Bits was about to marry Tim and I remember she said she was putting double white strips on her teeth every day.  Random memories. 

• Love 2

And don't forget the dozen or so Daytime Emmy's she won for her own talk show.  Whoopi may be an EGOT winning Stah, but i think Rosie has a real talent for talking to people and entertaining audiences.

The only reason Rosie didn't win more Emmys is because she withdrew herself from consideration.

• Love 2

I remember Rosie being a fan of reality shows, as they were back then anyway.  The ones I recall her liking and talking about were Survivor, The Amazing Race and The Osbornes.  When interviewing Sharon Osborne, she spoke about knowing well a producer on Sharon's show who was an integral part of its success.  She also liked Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, speaking about some of the contestants who stood out, and it was a lot of fun when she chided Regis about it at first, who was making the rounds plugging it.  The show was new to North America, and Regis had appeared in nationally aired tv commercials for the show inviting the public to qualify as contestants.  Rosie was teasing him saying things like "Regis, I sat there thinking, has he lost his mind??  Is he trying to kill his career?".  They had a good laugh over it, and so did we.

I remember the episode of Rosie's show when she had the Survivor cast on (it wasn't the first season, maybe the second?).  Some people still think it was Colby Donaldson who won, but it was Tina Wesson who won.  Colby and Tina had paired, and Tina had pledged to buy Colby some pricey bike if she won, and she had made good on that promise.  I think Rosie had the entire cast on the show, but if I remember correctly, she interviewed only the four or six (?) finalists.  As usual she was very generous.  She surprised one of the finalists, someone named Elisabeth Filarski, with a honeymoon trip to Paris, as she had heard Elisabeth was getting married and was interested in fashion.  Elisabeth exclaimed happily "are you serious, Rosie??".  (Funny, as far as I know, none of that was ever mentioned on The View, but maybe not too surprising, since I don't think Rosie's talk show nor anything about it was ever mentioned there.)  I recall laughing out loud when the winner, Tina, was being interviewed and Rosie said something like "I'm not giving you anything because, after all, you won a million dollars", to which Tina replied "the money's gone", and proceeded to name off the things that make a million dollars not last long, one of which was making good on her promise to buy Colby a bike.  Greed at its best.  Rosie wasn't having any of it.  Tina's lamenting was drowned out by clapping as they went to commercial break.  

So, there were reality shows back then, but certainly nothing like the trash reality on now with the way it has evolved.  All the shows I mentioned that she talked about (with the exception of WWTBAM) did not surface until the last one or two years of her show.  I don't think Rosie would have been all that much into the reality trash if it had existed back then.  Her "reality" shows seem to be the real talent performing on Broadway and on any stage where true talent acts and sings.  I don't remember how into reality trash they were during Rosie's first gig at The View.  But it will be interesting to see if she has to comply with discussing ABC reality trash like The Bachelor.  I don't mind if they must mention Dancing With The Stars, but I would rather no time be spent discussing it, unless something noteworthy occurs on one of the episodes, and I would rather see real talent perform once again on The View instead of a dance by an eliminated couple from that show*.  And I would prefer no "real housewife" of anywhere on tv appears**. 

So fun to reminisce, and even more fun to look forward to a future co-host of The View:  Rosie.

* "we took the redeye from LA after our last dance and after party!!  blahblahblah and we might not be very good today!! blahblahblah the best most fulfilling experience of my life!!  blahblahblah."

**most certainly not meant to offend any fellow posters who like and watch The Real Housewives of (insert location).  

Edited by Dreamboat Annie
  • Love 7

The only reason Rosie didn't win more Emmys is because she withdrew herself from consideration.

I remember when Rosie won her first (I think) Emmy and she teared up talking about her mother and her coming to Radio City Music Hall when she was a child.  That is what I like about her.  When she tells a story it always feels sincere.  No agenda.  Just her being herself.  Meredith was the same way.  Joy was real too but she wasn't above twisting things to get her point across.

I don't think Rosie would have been all that much into the reality trash if it had existed back then.  Her "reality" shows seem to be the real talent performing on Broadway and on any stage where true talent acts and sings.  I don't remember how into reality trash they were during Rosie's first gig at The View.

I cannot imagine Rosie wanting to sit on the couch with Snookie or whoever the latest reality show famewhore is. 

• Love 4

Rosie's commentary is what got me into The Amazing Race and Josh Groban made his TV debut on her show after she saw him in rehearsal as a stand-in the year she hosted the Grammys.  I also remember Rosie talking about going to see You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown which featured this remarkable new performer named Kristen Chenoweth.  I look forward to seeing some new discoveries.

• Love 2

She surprised one of the finalists, someone named Elisabeth Filarski, with a honeymoon trip to Paris, as she had heard Elisabeth was getting married and was interested in fashion.  Elisabeth exclaimed happily "are you serious, Rosie??".

Wait, Rosie paid for Elisabeth's honeymoon?? And Elisabeth then turns around and fights with her on The View and still trash talks her until today??

• Love 4

Wait, Rosie paid for Elisabeth's honeymoon?? And Elisabeth then turns around and fights with her on The View and still trash talks her until today??

Never mind...

I know!!  Some people will just never have any class.   

I didn't find much, but the Rosie episode featuring the Survivor Australia contestants was show 976 and aired Tuesday, May 8, 2001.  There were no synopses anywhere I looked, but I found an interview with someone else Colby Donaldson gave that same day.  He said Rosie had given him a new Harley, and that he was still waiting for Tina to make good on her promise to buy him one.  So I guess I was wrong when I said I thought she had already made good on it.   

This is the only proof I could find that Rosie gave Elisabeth Filarski a Paris honeymoon (scroll down to May 8, 2001):

http://www.tederick.com/deeper/survivorg/archive_0105.html

And I would prefer no "real housewife" of anywhere on tv appears**.

Me too.  And ditto for Jersey shore and Kardashians.   If people want to watch these shows, they are on ALL THE TIME.   They don't need to be on any other shows. 

• Love 7

I wasn't a survivor watcher, nor did I regularly watch Rosie's old show (I was working crazy hours back then so not much TV time!) so this is the first I heard of Rosie's gifts to survivor participants, including (color me surprised) hasselbeck! Wow! Perhaps rosie and elizabeth might have decided among themselves not to mention it on the view or media when they were working together for whatever reason, but it is an interesting fact!

I'm not on social media but would love to see lots of inquiries (so Liz would be bombarded with these and couldn't ignore it - tho I'll bet she would) on Lizzie's twitter, Facebook, etc. asking if it is true that rosie offered the trip and if she and Tim accepted. Inquiring minds want to know! If I ever run into Lizzie in person I would never have wanted to even talk to her but now I would definitely ask her about it!

Edited by CathInAZ
  • Love 3

Never mind...

Also Rosie gave Bits a week at her Miami mansion for her birthday. This was right before the split/screen fight so Bits never went but Ro made gave her the gift on The View.  Isn't Bits grateful??

• Love 3

I doubt Bits will ever be grateful about anything Vinyasa...

Don't'cha know that she EARNED everything she has herself with NO HELP from anyone?

Just sayin'.

She is the picture in the dictionary next to the word 'opportunist'.

• Love 7

asking if it is true that rosie offered the trip and if she and Tim accepted.

It would be pretty hard for her to deny she was offered a trip to Paris on The Rosie O'Donnell Show.  I too would be interested to know if she and Tim actually took the trip.  I don't know how far before her wedding it was, or if they had already made honeymoon trip plans, but if I had to guess, I'd guess they at some point took the trip, unless their schedules didn't permit (would anyone turn down an aep trip to Paris!), because I recall Bits being quite excited about it when Rosie told her.

In my link above which tells who received what gifts from Rosie, there are also two pictures of the Survivor cast of their appearance on Rosie's show (one is of a very happy Bits).  Something I had forgotten was that Rosie also gave the cast a trip to the Caribbean together, but I remembered that once I read it in the link.  That sure was a show with major giveaways!

• Love 1

I don't watch Survivor, but by checking out the link, I do remember them being there.  In another link for Bitsy down that page there are pics from when she was on Letterman, no pics from Live!, but goodness, this is only 13 years ago, and Bits' looks have changed majorly.

I absolutely love Rosie Perez, she is a wonderful talk show guest. I am pretty happy right now. I'll even record talk shows I don't normally watch when she is a guest because she is always so charming. I had to defollow her on Twitter though because of her obsession with boxing, but it's nice to have a co-host who actually has interests!

http://deadline.com/2014/09/nicolle-wallace-rosie-perez-the-view-hosts-828653/

It's so weird I might actually watch The View for the first time because I like it, and not hate watch it.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 1

I absolutely love Rosie Perez, she is a wonderful talk show guest. I am pretty happy right now. I'll even record talk shows I don't normally watch when she is a guest because she is always so charming. I had to defollow her on Twitter though because of her obsession with boxing, but it's nice to have a co-host who actually has interests!

http://deadline.com/2014/09/nicolle-wallace-rosie-perez-the-view-hosts-828653/

It's so weird I might actually watch The View for the first time because I like it, and not hate watch it.

If this is true, Rosie Perez is certainly a surprise. I don't recall ever seeing her name even suggested, and she never would've occurred to me as someone who would be interested in this kind of gig. A very interesting and I think potentially quite good choice, if true.

• Love 3

Wow.  Rosie Perez is someone I'd mentioned wanting if they were going for Latina, but I never figured it was a possibility.  The couple of interviews I've seen with her this past year were not her usual schtick, and I really liked her.

Rosie's voice grates on me more than Sherri and Jenny's combined BUT...she is smart.  She has charm.  And dammit she is a Fly Girl.  I do see her being on not as often as it's written she had just signed on to do a play as well but if it's true, I'm willing to give her a shot.  

• Love 1