• Start Topic

image.png.259fad1c4c56fe424580b0d89d84c082.png

From CBS.com

Dan Spilo

Biography

Dan Spilo

Hometown: New York City
Current residence: Los Angeles

Hobbies: Adventure travel, movies, and fitness.

Pet peeves: Trouble dealing with stubborn people but I respect EQ as much as IQ, ignorance, and close-mindedness.

Three words to describe you: Hardworking, articulate, and charming.

What accomplishment are you most proud of?
Raising two loving, considerate boys, and working hard to keep a marriage fun, loving, and passionate for 20 years.

Who or what is your inspiration in life?
I don't have a hero, per se—Jane Goodall and people like her who have a selfless devotion to something in the way she did. The way she illuminated the life of chimpanzees, and never let anything get in her way, is heroic to me.

What's one thing we wouldn't know from seeing a photo of you?
That I am a big softy. As my first client always reminds me, I cried at Finding Nemo.

Which Survivor contestant are you most like?
Crowley and Kwon because of background, Westman and Boston Rob for social gameplay, and Cochran because he's freaking cool and weird.

Why do you think you'll "survive" Survivor?
I think I have the basic, if not superior, physicality to be useful to the Tribe. More importantly, I have an incredible ability to know what people need and to make them feel good, and to make myself critical in their success.

He must be dying to speak.......I guess. Maybe, he didn’t think it become this big. He’s still in the game so I’m curious how his edit continues and them I’m curious if/when he gets voted out and goes to Ponderosa how that was handled or shot. Then 7 months later the show airs and he looks bad in the first episode but nothing really till last night’s episodes. I wonder if he thought the first few days were the worst part of it. 

• Love 2

Dan's silence since the big episode makes me remember his fury over Jeff wanting to keep talking about it.  Dan believes that if you just keep quiet about something it will go away -- and being in show business he knows how short most people's attention spans are. I'm sorry to say some of my outrage has already dribbled away,

• Love 8

Unfortunately, I think the reason Dan hasn’t spoken besides the obvious is that he makes the Final 4. He has a good alliance thing going on and isn’t in any danger. I think Karishma & Janet would go before him. At least, that’s what they will try. If Karishma didn’t have  the idol she would have been gone and I fear Janet would have been next. Only, 3 episodes left. Let this national nightmare be over with. They will probably have a 5 minute reunion show to avoid the whole topic. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Eolivet said:

But his neutral/positive screentime actually increased after Kellee was voted out, and my question is why? Why didn't they Purple Kelly the sexual harasser these last few episodes, and especially this one? Make him irrelevant to the game, because he was, and it's what he deserved.

This is what I don't get. I mean, I don't get a lot of Production's choices ever and this season in particular, but that one really stands out to me as odd.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Oh, I've been meaning to ask this, people were saying after the infamous episode that Dan locked his twitter but I have been wondering: has Dan's twitter been locked since the show premiered or did he only lock it after that ep aired?

5 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

No idea. I don't follow twitter but people seemed to be clear that it was locked after that episode. I don't remember anyone following his twitter from before that episode.

Hmmm.  I was under the impression folks already had the wind up about something shady going on with Dan since well before the “out in the open” TC precisely because his SM accounts had been locked since shortly after the season started, if not before.

• Love 1

What I had heard is that Dan had posted next to nothing about being on Survivor, so some speculation was that either something happened, or he was just a bitter betty about his experience (I supposed you could argue it was both).  And then when the Kellee incident happened, everyone assumed that was why he'd be silent about his time on the show.  He also liked anti-Karishma tweets, so some assumption was that there might have been an incident with her, and she pushed for him to get kicked off.  That obviously didn't happen, but that's what I've heard is all he's done regarding Survivor.  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

What I had heard is that Dan had posted next to nothing about being on Survivor, so some speculation was that either something happened, or he was just a bitter betty about his experience (I supposed you could argue it was both).  And then when the Kellee incident happened, everyone assumed that was why he'd be silent about his time on the show.  He also liked anti-Karishma tweets, so some assumption was that there might have been an incident with her, and she pushed for him to get kicked off.  That obviously didn't happen, but that's what I've heard is all he's done regarding Survivor.  

Perhaps Karishma is the contestant who witnessed the off camera incident.

1 hour ago, Cindyluwho said:

Perhaps Karishma is the contestant who witnessed the off camera incident.

This can't be as she is at ponderosa when they are coming back from the immunity challenge.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, himela said:

This can't be as she is at ponderosa when they are coming back from the immunity challenge.

It might be Karishma. Maybe it took them 3-6 days to ‘investigate/verify/act’ on the situation.  

Do I have my timing correct?

12 minutes ago, Ellee said:

It might be Karishma. Maybe it took them 3-6 days to ‘investigate/verify/act’ on the situation.  

Do I have my timing correct?

Elaine said in interviews that the next tribal council was skipped and they had no clue why this happened. This shows that after Elaine was voted out, they did have an immunity challenge and the incident with the boat happened while they were going back to camp. I would believe that if it had happened in the previous immunity challenge, they would have ejected Dan before the tribal council and maybe also not have the tribal council at all. The fact that this happened after Elaine left indicates that the incident happened after the tribal council where Elaine left. This way they will not show the final 6 immunity challenge at all and they will go straight to final 5 immunity challenge.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, himela said:

Elaine said in interviews that the next tribal council was skipped and they had no clue why this happened. This shows that after Elaine was voted out, they did have an immunity challenge and the incident with the boat happened while they were going back to camp. I would believe that if it had happened in the previous immunity challenge, they would have ejected Dan before the tribal council and maybe also not have the tribal council at all. The fact that this happened after Elaine left indicates that the incident happened after the tribal council where Elaine left. This way they will not show the final 6 immunity challenge at all and they will go straight to final 5 immunity challenge.

So that would mean Janet, Lauren, Dean, Noura, or Tommy saw the incident.  

Of the 5, Janet would speak up immediately and Noura I think too would.   And I acknowledge that I may be doing a disservice to Lauren, Dean and Tommy. 

• Love 3
On 12/14/2019 at 6:51 AM, Ellee said:

So that would mean Janet, Lauren, Dean, Noura, or Tommy saw the incident.  

Of the 5, Janet would speak up immediately and Noura I think too would.   And I acknowledge that I may be doing a disservice to Lauren, Dean and Tommy. 

I'm surely giving them all too much credit, but I feel like they all would have said something. I haven't been really fully reading the press about this but from the bits I've seen it sounds more like the contestants were asked about it and one of them said they did see it. I don't know if all of them would speak up on their own, but I think any of them would be truthful when directly asked.

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I'm surely giving them all too much credit, but I feel like they all would have said something. I haven't been really fully reading the press about this but from the bits I've seen it sounds more like the contestants were asked about it and one of them said they did see it. I don't know if all of them would be speak up on their own, but I think any of them would be truthful when directly asked.

I actually agree with you I think. My main reason for splitting Lauren, Dean and Tommy out was moreso because they were closer to Dan and would naturally be ‘more protective’ if that’s the right terminology.   The sensitive nature of the subject would possibly put them in a position of ‘did I see that? It doesn’t fit in with the man I know.’

Whereas no one knows what will come out of Noura’s mouth. Not even Noura. And that’s not being mean .... I’m just saying that she may blurt out what she saw in a blink of an eye without taking time to process what she saw.

And Janet I think has one mode ... call it as she sees it.   I’m partial to Janet despite not knowing her.  That may be coloring my opinion on this too.

Accckk.  I hate how I post.  Hope I’m getting what I’m thinking across.   

• Love 11

I think it was more Dan touched the crew member, the crew member complained and contestant X saw what happened, they talked to contestant x who verified the crew member, Dan was removed. And I think it was Janet because she looked devastated and made the comment that real world issues were impacting the game.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
46 minutes ago, Ellee said:

I actually agree with you I think. My main reason for splitting Lauren, Dean and Tommy out was moreso because they were closer to Dan and would naturally be ‘more protective’ if that’s the right terminology.   The sensitive nature of the subject would possibly put them in a position of ‘did I see that? It doesn’t fit in with the man I know.’

Whereas no one knows what will come out of Noura’s mouth. Not even Noura. And that’s not being mean .... I’m just saying that she may blurt out what she saw in a blink of an eye without taking time to process what she saw.

And Janet I think has one mode ... call it as she sees it.   I’m partial to Janet despite not knowing her.  That may be coloring my opinion on this too.

Accckk.  I hate how I post.  Hope I’m getting what I’m thinking across.   

Well, we know Janet was extremely close to Dan, even after the incident. I don't doubt that she would speak up, but I could also see the other side: she was close to him, and after what happened the last time with Kellee, Missy, and Elizabeth, that could have caused her to be a bit more reluctant to point fingers at him. 

However, because it IS Janet, and because of her confessional after they learned about Dan's ejection from the game and how she mentioned how "very real world things are coming into the game", it sounds like it's possible that she could have been the one to have witnessed what happened. Since she WAS close to Dan, she could have been right by him when the incident occurred. 

I did rewatch that end scene and I have to laugh at Dean's initial neutral blank look when Jeff told them about Dan's ejection. Everyone else looked shocked but it took Dean a bit to finally look shocked too. If I didn't know Dean and only saw that clip, I'd theorize that he was the witness and had told production when they asked.

I don't think Tommy would have said anything, even when asked, because he was complaining in his confessional about losing the wrong person at the wrong time. 

However, it could have really been any of them and they didn't realize that, by telling production what they saw, that it led to Dan's ejection. 

• Love 8

I suspect the PA complained, was asked who witnessed it, TPTB called each witness in individually to describe what they saw.  The other contestants would not know who said what. This is how everything should have been handled, not while filming.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 2

See, I would've thought Dean had that delayed reaction because...he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer and it took an extra moment to compute. (Conversely, maybe he had a sudden pang of regret for what happened with Kellee.) I can also see Tommy being likelier to speak up because teachers are usually mandated reporters and he has to know a bad touch when he sees one.

Who knows—could've been any of them, for any reason. Good on whoever it was, in any case.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I think it was more Dan touched the crew member, the crew member complained and contestant X saw what happened, they talked to contestant x who verified the crew member, Dan was removed. And I think it was Janet because she looked devastated and made the comment that real world issues were impacting the game.

Eh, Janet was my fav this season, a season filled with loathsome people. But when she backed down off the Dan escandalo immediately after Kellie was booted, she lost me with her 'lets all move on' bullshit. You can't have it both ways lady - you cant be a champion for women who are battling a sexual harasser, and then say 'let's all just move forward' when it's convenient for you. If Janet felt that strongly, she should have quit the game immediately following Kellie's outsing. She should have gotten up before Jeff snuffed Kellie's torch, and brought her own damn torch over and said, "Jeff, this is wrong. You and production know it's wrong. And if you're not going to do anything about it, you can snuff my damn torch too, because I'm out!" That? Would have had a stronger impact and rang truer than her backing down once they got back to camp and she started simpering to Dan again. So this whol "real world issues impacting the game" comment just felt really hollow to me after seeing her back down on an issue she claimed to feel so strongly about. YMMV...

• Love 7
46 minutes ago, gingerella said:

Eh, Janet was my fav this season, a season filled with loathsome people. But when she backed down off the Dan escandalo immediately after Kellie was booted, she lost me with her 'lets all move on' bullshit. You can't have it both ways lady - you cant be a champion for women who are battling a sexual harasser, and then say 'let's all just move forward' when it's convenient for you. If Janet felt that strongly, she should have quit the game immediately following Kellie's outsing. She should have gotten up before Jeff snuffed Kellie's torch, and brought her own damn torch over and said, "Jeff, this is wrong. You and production know it's wrong. And if you're not going to do anything about it, you can snuff my damn torch too, because I'm out!" That? Would have had a stronger impact and rang truer than her backing down once they got back to camp and she started simpering to Dan again. So this whol "real world issues impacting the game" comment just felt really hollow to me after seeing her back down on an issue she claimed to feel so strongly about. YMMV...

I give Janet a break for this reason.  She never directly witnessed anything Dan did, nor did she have any knowledge of it until Missy and Elizabeth came to her.  Remember, Missy and Kellee had their heart to heart on the beach, then Lauren told Missy Kellee was targeting her, so Missy threw that to the wayside and decided to target Kellee.  She told Elizabeth what they had been discussing, and since people had been feeling like Janet was the mom of the camp and their go-to, they went to her and told her about their feelings on Dan.  Elizabeth was making it up.  She had no issues with Dan, he had never done anything to her, but went with that to play on Janet's sympathies with Missy.  It was all about the game to Elizabeth and Missy, and Elizabeth even said as much in one of her TH that she was using this to get her ahead.  When Janet said she would vote Dan that night, Elizabeth didn't believe her.  So because of how uncomfortable Dan was making them, Janet voted with what she  thought was the majority to get rid of Dan.  Instead Kellee was blindsided, and so was Janet.  Going back to camp, Missy and Elizabeth made it seem like they were joking around, didn't know why Janet made a big deal about it, and essentially made her seem like she was instigating something.  So Janet probably believed that the girls were lying or exaggerating, and she tanked her game for nothing.  So I'm willing to cut her a break.  I really think she thought she was doing the right thing based on the information she was given, then she was told something opposite.  I don't blame her for re-aligning with Dan.

• Love 23

Someone I know told me a friend of his and wife went to a party Dan had for the premier.  the friend said "Dan was in high spirits and was happy for everyone to see him on the show in the premiere." 

So it sounds a bit strange, when you now look back that he was ejected from the game over the harrassment issues.

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

Someone I know told me a friend of his and wife went to a party Dan had for the premier.  the friend said "Dan was in high spirits and was happy for everyone to see him on the show in the premiere." 

So it sounds a bit strange, when you now look back that he was ejected from the game over the harrassment issues.

What if the settlement has already taken place and Dan is some millions richer and he cares less for his reputation? I don't see any other explanation. Unless he believes that negative press is also good press.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Hanahope said:

1 hour ago, himela said:

What if the settlement has already taken place and Dan is some millions richer and he cares less for his reputation? I don't see any other explanation. Unless he believes that negative press is also good press.

On the other hand, the show was filmed a long time ago (season 40 was already filmed before season 39 began airing.  Maybe he was under the impression that Survivor would protect the brand and thus protect him too?  Maybe sweep things under the rug and just say he "went home" for unspecified reasons.  Must have been quite the shock when it began airing and even episode 1 featured him and his grabbiness.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, DEL901 said:

On the other hand, the show was filmed a long time ago (season 40 was already filmed before season 39 began airing.  Maybe he was under the impression that Survivor would protect the brand and thus protect him too?  Maybe sweep things under the rug and just say he "went home" for unspecified reasons.  Must have been quite the shock when it began airing and even episode 1 featured him and his grabbiness.

That tracks with some of the posters here reporting that he took down his Twitter account after the season had started airing.

• Love 6
On 12/14/2019 at 2:31 PM, gingerella said:

Eh, Janet was my fav this season, a season filled with loathsome people. But when she backed down off the Dan escandalo immediately after Kellie was booted, she lost me with her 'lets all move on' bullshit.

And now we know it was Janet who witnessed Dan touching the producers leg in the boat.  Then we see Jeff telling the cast that Dan had to leave and the very next scene is Janet telling the others, "Dan is gone we need to move past it,"  complete with big shoving motion. 

She never wants anyone to talk about Dan and she's been on twitter since the Kellee episode telling people like us to, "Stop the hate."   She just defends him too much and is too bossy about what other people get to say.

• Love 5
On 12/13/2019 at 5:47 PM, LadyChatts said:

The past few seasons, Survivor is trying too hard to be "woke". With the METOO, the lecture on "white privilege" this season to the transgender outing a few seasons ago ... I'm done. I'm tuning in to watch the game not be lectured on Hollywood's liberal agenda. When Jamal sat there and berated Jack for saying DEW-RAG for 10 minutes I wanted to throw up. Jack is from Virginia, Jamal from North Jersey.  The word DEW-RAG could mean completely different things just based on where they grew up.  To instantly associate it with race ... please.  For instance, a water fountain in the Midwest is called a bubbler.  Soda is called pop.  Give me a break Jamal. You were born in America in 1986. You instantly won the lottery regardless of your skin color considering people in the rest of the world and the poverty they are born to. Spare me the BS over the word DEW-RAG. As a long time fan who is sick of what Hollywood "thinks" the world should be I've pretty much had it with Survivor.

It's so funny but the first 10 years they had NO problem with Jenna & Heidi getting naked for peanut butter and chocolate. Or no problem with Parviti openly on camera admitting she had no issue with flirting and harassing male players (yes METOO people harassment goes both ways).

The whole Dan situation is sketchy to begin with.  Dan clearly was too stupid to steer clear of Kellee after she warned him but with CBS's track record of lying for ratings it makes me question things. 

Perfect example: 

These tweets are exactly why we ALL want to hear Dan's side of the story. I'm not absolving Dan's actions, but I just don't trust CBS. CBS not inviting Dan to the reunion and then not airing it live just throws more shade on them.

Edited by EzraTank
  • Love 5

First of all, Corinne and Russell are both vile human beings in general so any time they defend something, it's automatically tainted.

Secondly, what exactly is their point?  Ok, fine, let's say Brandon was ejected (or "fired" as Corinne puts it).  They don't do that for absolutely no reason.  Maybe the show tried to help him save face by pretending the tribe wanted to vote him out instead of throwing up a card that said "Brandon was removed from the game because he was borderline psychotic, close to violence, and we feared for everybody's safety".  But, ok, now we know the truth.  Same actions, same consequences.  Thanks for playing, Russell & Corinne.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
6 hours ago, EzraTank said:

The past few seasons, Survivor is trying too hard to be "woke". With the METOO, the lecture on "white privilege" this season to the transgender outing a few seasons ago ... I'm done. I'm tuning in to watch the game not be lectured on Hollywood's liberal agenda. When Jamal sat there and berated Jack for saying DEW-RAG for 10 minutes I wanted to throw up. Jack is from Virginia, Jamal from North Jersey.  The word DEW-RAG could mean completely different things just based on where the grew up.  To instantly associate it with race ... please.  A water fountain in the Midwest is called a bubbler.  Give me a break Jamal. You were born in America in 1986. You instantly won the lottery regardless of your skin color considering people in the rest of the world and the poverty they are born to. Spare me the BS over the word DEW-RAG. As a long time fan who is sick of what Hollywood "thinks" the world should be I've pretty much had it with Survivor.

It's so funny but the first 10 years they had NO problem with Jenna & Heidi getting naked for peanut butter and chocolate. Or no problem with Parviti openly on camera admitting she had no issue with flirting and harassing male players (yes METOO people harassment goes both ways).

The whole Dan situation is sketchy to begin with.  Dan clearly was too stupid to steer clear of Kellee after she warned him but with CBS's track record of lying for ratings it makes me question things. 

Perfect example: 

These tweets are exactly why we ALL want to hear Dan's side of the story. I'm not absolving Dan's actions, but I just don't trust CBS. CBS not inviting Dan to the reunion and then not airing it live just throws more shade on them.

The Hantz on Big Brother even more perhaps.  This really annoying HG screamed he was headbutted but we didn't actually see anything.  Britney was terrible on that season as well, the most useless 'coach' ever.  The producers do like to play up the villain role around the Hantz name, but I suspect it doesn't increase ratings for them

• Love 1

I don’t know, I consider it the same thing, but also not really.  Brandon was trying to get ejected or at least voted off.  He still got voted off, even if they were going to make him leave. I also think he might have quit.  So it’s a vote off/quit/eject in my opinion.  I think Dan’s ejection is in a different league.  What is the same is that both were uninvited to the reunion.  

And let’s not forget how they made the pre jurors sit in the audience (because they claimed they were testing out a new stage), but it was really so Brandon’s absence wouldn’t be noticed and they could ignore the incident in question.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

Okay after finally watching the last episode and reunion show I feel the same.  Survivor in typical Hollywood fashion took the side of Kellee which was no surprise.  I sat on the couch with my 12 year old son and explained to him everything that was happening and warned him to never ever go near a SJW woman in the future.

Could Dan have been guilty and wrong, possibly but we will never know because no evidence was shown besides what happened in the show which he already apologized for.  But for Survivor to sit there and give Kellee the floor and NOT let Dan tell his side of the story is horrible.  Again if Dan is guilty so be it but give him his day in court.  That's what the current world seems to be forgetting that EVERYONE is entitled their day in court.

• Love 2

When I explained what happened to my 6 year-old son, and that you don't touch girls whenever you feel like it, he replied, "Our teacher says: keep your hands to yourself." Keep your hands to yourself. It's so simple, only a kindergartener could do it. And yet, that childhood lesson somehow escaped a 48 year-old man. Sad.

• Love 21
1 hour ago, Eolivet said:

When I explained what happened to my 6 year-old son, and that you don't touch girls whenever you feel like it, he replied, "Our teacher says: keep your hands to yourself." Keep your hands to yourself. It's so simple, only a kindergartener could do it. And yet, that childhood lesson somehow escaped a 48 year-old man. Sad.

I asked my 7 year old what you should do when someone says to stop doing something and he said “ Stop.”

We did discuss how it can be hard because sometimes you have been doing something and it is fun, like tickling or wrestling, so it is hard to stop but you stop anyway. He said, in a very annoyed voice “I know Moooooom.”

So I would tell your kid to stop when people say stop and listen to folks. I wouldn’t tell him to avoid people. 

• Love 16
On 12/25/2019 at 7:23 AM, EzraTank said:

Could Dan have been guilty and wrong, possibly but we will never know because no evidence was shown besides what happened in the show which he already apologized for.  But for Survivor to sit there and give Kellee the floor and NOT let Dan tell his side of the story is horrible.  Again if Dan is guilty so be it but give him his day in court.  That's what the current world seems to be forgetting that EVERYONE is entitled their day in court.

Realities shows are not courts of law. Neither are other workplaces. Employers are allowed to fire employees without having a trial first. If Dan wants to speak out to defend himself, he can, unless he agreed to a non-disclosure agreement, in which case that was his choice.

• Love 13