Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 9/9/2019

Jaded
  • Start Topic

I once had someone scream at me for using the word "retard" in a discussion of engine retarder brakes.

When I was a kid 55 yrs ago, we used words like "retard", "moron", "imbecile" to describe kids who were not using their "normal" mental faculties properly and were doing stupid things.  We never used them to taunt mentally challenged kids, who included the siblings of our friends and classmates. 

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 4
58 minutes ago, bannana said:

That's not what McCain meant to imply I am sure, but for Abby to use it as an example of the right way to correct someone, well, it was not the best answer either.

Just yesterday Abby confessed to a big mistake (forgetting her dog) so she shouldn’t be scolding anyone for making an error. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, deirdra said:

True, but most people outside of Mississauga (which was a town until 1974) think of the Greater Toronto Area, which includes Mississauga, as Toronto.  

Tell that to Hurrricane Hazel McCallion, CM is a Canadian politician and businesswoman who served as the 5th mayor of Mississauga, Ontario, from 1978 until 2014.  LOL.

.image.png.b758677588a731b65da30883c9ce32d9.png

• Love 4

I don’t understand what Sunny meant by Biden gets a pass on his blunders. The media did talk about it and criticized it. They may have been easier on him since he is likely the Democratic candidate that has the best chance of beating Trump. And for Sunny to say that Trump always gets a pass is ludicrous. Yes, Trump does make gaffes all the time, but he NEVER gets a pass. The media, including The View criticize his gaffes literally everyday.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, deirdra said:

And she was born in Mississauga (Toronto suburb). She's Canadian, not an immigrant. Please, Joy, you lose credibility when you make the same assumptions that you accuse Trump of.

I think you missed the point. Joy clearly meant she is a famous Canadian tennis player thanks to immigration, because both of her parents are immigrants from Romania. Had her parents not migrated to Canada, she would have been a famous Romanian tennis player. 

Edited by jPLUS
  • Love 12

Kamala's big mistake was chuckling at the comment and saying "well said." As someone who is fond of Kamala, I do think she comes across as trying to appease the audience too much and it can seem a bit phony. I think she needs to take her prosecutor hat off for a minute. Her tactics work better with a jury in a courtroom than in politics. 

Case in point, her jab at Biden about being the girl on the bus was initially riveting but ultimately came off as phony. In this particular case, she saw that the audience reacted with laughter at the comment so she responded in kind. She might not have even processed what the guy in the audience actually said because she was so busy in her mind trying to connect with the audience. 

Edited by jPLUS
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, ching5411 said:

I don’t understand what Sunny meant by Biden gets a pass on his blunders. The media did talk about it and criticized it. They may have been easier on him since he is likely the Democratic candidate that has the best chance of beating Trump. And for Sunny to say that Trump always gets a pass is ludicrous. Yes, Trump does make gaffes all the time, but he NEVER gets a pass. The media, including The View criticize his gaffes literally everyday.

I think Sunny may be referring to Biden getting a pass from his supporters, not so much the "media" per se. And I think she meant that Trump gets a pass from his supporters (and right-wing media), too. So I think her statement is accurate but she could have explained it a little better.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, bannana said:

Yeah, IIRC the woman said she didn't trust Obama because he is a an Arab, and McCain shook his said and said, no ma'am, he's a good decent family man.  Thus implying if he was an Arab, that he would not be a decent family man. That's not what McCain meant to imply I am sure, but for Abby to use it as an example of the right way to correct someone, well, it was not the best answer either.

I have been in those situations where someone in the audience says something like what the guy said to Harris.  The mistake she made was replying:  Well said.  Cause it was not well said. But it appeared that she realized her mistake and that she didn't address it properly at the time.  How big of a deal is this?  Not so big, but they sure made it a story.

Exactly. Believe it or not, I hadn't even watched today's episode when I posted that! I have just seen them bring it up so many times on this show as this perfect example of how to handle situations like the one Kamala had. I've seen McCain laudedfor this moment on other programs as well, but I wonder if they go out of their way to praise him because his daughter is at the table. 

And I agree.

• Love 6

Couldn't they just sell Meghan off for View Your Deal? 

Yeah, but who would buy her?  Does she come with free shipping? Because that could change the deal considerably.

I think Kamala is a terrible candidate, but I love her as my senator.  She has that phony laugh ala Marie Osmond.  Not everything is that funny.  I think she is being overhandled and her numbers are showing it.

Do I dare dream that Meghan talks about the Palin split tomorrow?

Edited by xingu
  • LOL 6
  • Love 6

When I was growing up, the common phrase was "mentally retarded." I know it's not correct to say that now, and I say "developmentally disabled" instead. BUT -- my first instinct is to go with what I grew up with. I find myself having to "translate" what comes into my head before it comes out my mouth. But never to bully or harass! And I do correct people who use it as an insult.

With everything that's going on with POTUS and the lies and cruelty on display daily, I find it distressing that more attention is going to gaffes and missteps like Biden's and Harris's, which somehow makes them seem equivalent to the corruption going on every day.

Get it together, media, no one is perfect, no one doesn't say stupid stuff on occasion. But I don't think Biden would lie about his tax returns or emoluments, and I don't think Harris would ban people with no homes from coming to this country after a national disaster. That's what I'm looking at, not wrong words or agreeing with someone who uses an offensive phrase to describe the POTUS.

• Love 24
8 hours ago, deirdra said:

I once had someone scream at me for using the word "retard" in a discussion of engine retarder brakes

It's difficult to find an online dictionary definition of the "technical" term.  It's all medical and "offensive."  I used to use it technically too...but now I think twice.

• Love 1

When I was growing up, the common phrase was "mentally retarded." I know it's not correct to say that now, and I say "developmentally disabled" instead. BUT -- my first instinct is to go with what I grew up with.

IMO, this whole MR designation is PCness to the extreme.   Retardation is nothing to be ashamed of.  There are people are are socially retarded, some who are emotionally retarded, some who are physically retarded.  The definition of retarded is: 

"One who is less advanced in mental, physical, or social development than is usual for one's age."

It's how we use the term that matters.  We shouldn't diminish one's person by calling them "retarded".  That's too cheap and easy. But we can't also ignore the agencies like LARC (the Lackawanna Association of Retarded Citizens) who do great work for their clients but don't shy away from the word.

Edited by xingu
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Tell that to Hurrricane Hazel McCallion, CM is a Canadian politician and businesswoman who served as the 5th mayor of Mississauga, Ontario, from 1978 until 2014.  LOL.

.image.png.b758677588a731b65da30883c9ce32d9.png

Agreed.  I grew up outside of TO, went to school in TO and have worked for a company headquartered there.  Mississauga is not TO to anyone who lives there. Nor is Oakville or Burlington.  I guess maybe people from elsewhere would consider the surrounding cities as part of TO but not anyone who lives there or nearby.  Same goes for Vaughn, Newmarket, Markham, Aurora which are all north of the city.

• Love 6

bannana,

With all due respect, I have no idea what your last post meant or how it relates to The View.  Did I just cross into a portal known as "The Canadian View"?

Edited by xingu
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, xingu said:

I think Kamala is a terrible candidate, but I love her as my senator.  She has that phony laugh ala Marie Osmond.  Not everything is that funny.  I think she is being overhandled and her numbers are showing it.

I read her book recently and enjoyed it.  She'd make a fantastic AG rather than Pres.  I love her commitment to seeing that justice is fair.  Whoever it was who said she should have apologized for making a mistake rather than suggesting she didn't hear the remark (regardless of whether or not she did) was right though.  "I was wrong" is easier to forgive, especially in today's climate.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, JayD83 said:

Meghan: "The quickest way to get me off this show is to keep singing that song" (Baby shark)

Whoopi: "Don't tempt people"

Me: Yaaasssss!!! 

Lol /petty

I just knew you all would seize on that. 🤣

Omigosh, Abby thinking she and ivanka bonded. I guess she forgot that Ivanka lied to her face. (Can’t remember what it was but it made Abby look foolish. As does thinking she and Ivanka are besties. 🙄

eta:  Ok, found it.  It was Ivanka's blatant lie about how she and Jared got their security clearance.  I guess it's ok to be lied to if you belong to the same tribe.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 16
14 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Omigosh, Abby thinking she and ivanka bonded. I guess she forgot that Ivanka lied to her face. (Can’t remember what it was but it made Abby look foolish. As does thinking she and Ivanka are besties. 🙄

Well both are daughters of rich politicians so...............

• LOL 4
  • Love 8

What the hell is Whoopie blabbering about today?   I can't glean a coherent sentence anywhere.   She talks just to talk; words upon words don't necessarily constitute a sentence or make sense.   I wish she'd just take the time to gather her thoughts before she opens her mouth.   And she doesn't even bug me as much as she does some people, but today she's grating on my nerves.   Is it just me?

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

Damn it I flipped the channel and watched for 2 minutes however Sunny spoke no truer words when talking about Billy Bush and taking him back on the air and "Said We accept Bad Behavior for Ratings"  Who Sunny was speaking to was ABC because ABC promotes and shoves Elsa down the throat of America and allows someone who is almost the most vile person on air next to you know who and you know who in Kentucky all for the ratings.  Enough ABC do the right thing and get rid of bad bad (45 words not mine) behavior Elsa but we know ABC will not because it wants the ratings like Elsa wants the attention!

• Love 15

This is maybe an unpopular opinion, but I think Sunny looks cute in bangs.  

There seems to be less talking over one another - so far, at least.   I appreciate that.

Purple is definitely Joy's color. 

Even Nutty looks nice today.   That's the best I can do with her.

Whoopie is sporting her usual "casual"look, but I kinda admire that she's true to herself and doesn't bow to convention.   There's something to be said for that.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

When I was growing up, the common phrase was "mentally retarded." I know it's not correct to say that now, and I say "developmentally disabled" instead. BUT -- my first instinct is to go with what I grew up with. I find myself having to "translate" what comes into my head before it comes out my mouth. But never to bully or harass! And I do correct people who use it as an insult.

With everything that's going on with POTUS and the lies and cruelty on display daily, I find it distressing that more attention is going to gaffes and missteps like Biden's and Harris's, which somehow makes them seem equivalent to the corruption going on every day.

Get it together, media, no one is perfect, no one doesn't say stupid stuff on occasion. But I don't think Biden would lie about his tax returns or emoluments, and I don't think Harris would ban people with no homes from coming to this country after a national disaster. That's what I'm looking at, not wrong words or agreeing with someone who uses an offensive phrase to describe the POTUS.

I am old. So in the early days my students were labeled moderately mentally handicapped. Then, as we know, they were described as developmentally delayed or disabled. I haven't used the r-word since the early 60s, but I watched (up close) the development of the change. Most people had no reason to be so attuned. Also, didn't the reporter say more before he got to the name-calling. Perhaps she was agreeing to his earlier words.The View didn't play any of the before tape. It might have been helpful. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Ladyrain said:

This is maybe an unpopular opinion, but I think Sunny looks cute in bangs.  

I like Sunny’s bangs too.  It’s a much softer look, and I was never crazy about her long , curly hair.  I always thought it looked like it needed to be brushed 😂

• Love 5

I’m surprised Meg was unaware of the meager crowd at Junior’s rally. I guess it happened while she was off in MT shooting guns and reading polls about Jr’s popularity. 

Note to self: When traveling to a foreign country be sure to study how to react to the murder of someone close.  Thanks, Joy. (What a dumb observation. )

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 8
37 minutes ago, MMEButterfly said:

I am old. So in the early days my students were labeled moderately mentally handicapped. Then, as we know, they were described as developmentally delayed or disabled. I haven't used the r-word since the early 60s, but I watched (up close) the development of the change. Most people had no reason to be so attuned. Also, didn't the reporter say more before he got to the name-calling. Perhaps she was agreeing to his earlier words.The View didn't play any of the before tape. It might have been helpful. 

I saw two two videos of the interaction. One was longer and it seems she was agreeing to the first part of what he was saying.

The short one was retweet by a ring wing reporter (Dont remember who). Maybe Ryan Saavedra. I dont know.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, bannana said:

Agreed.  I grew up outside of TO, went to school in TO and have worked for a company headquartered there.  Mississauga is not TO to anyone who lives there. Nor is Oakville or Burlington.  I guess maybe people from elsewhere would consider the surrounding cities as part of TO but not anyone who lives there or nearby.  Same goes for Vaughn, Newmarket, Markham, Aurora which are all north of the city.

At the risk of belaboring the point ... EXACTLY!!!

• Love 5

I'm need to check the calendar to see when hell is gonna freeze over - I found myself taking Meghan's side in her exchange with Joy about there being a spectrum of inappropriate behavior.

Al Franken's "uniqueness" and "intelligence" should not make him more deserving of a comeback than someone who's more average.  How discriminatory is that -  I'm surprised at Joy.  She does seem to give more leeway to people she likes (Woody Allen).  She also lumped Billy Bush in with Mark Halperin, Charlie Rose, and Matt Lauer, but the difference is almost black and white.   

(One thing I do think Meghan was incorrect about is Mark Halperin exposing himself to women.  I didn't think that he did that particular disgusting thing, so i looked it up to make sure -Huffington Post.)

Meghan did look foolish when, after being shown video of the sparse attendance at a rally Trump Jr. was a part of, she became flustered and decided to completely ignore that, saying,"the quotes in the article support what I just said". (I read about this almost two weeks ago, but it seemed like she hadn't heard about it at all - Newsweek.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

Saying something like that when it isn't true can get you sued.

If it were any of the other hosts, I'm sure they would be issuing a correction tomorrow.  But Meghan never seems to have issue corrections.  If there is one, someone else will be doing it on her behalf.

• Love 16
4 minutes ago, lusinia said:

If it were any of the other hosts, I'm sure they would be issuing a correction tomorrow.  But Meghan never seems to have issue corrections.  If there is one, someone else will be doing it on her behalf.

If I were him I would demand an apology. I think he is gross for the real stuff he is accused of doing but I would love for Meghan to get in trouble for this. If Joy has to apologize to nurses Meghan should have to apologize for this.

• Love 15
1 minute ago, Haleth said:
3 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

If Joy has to apologize to nurses

FOR SOMETHING SHE NEVER SAID!

Exactly.  Too many people get in trouble for things they don't even fucking say but Meghan can run off at the mouth about all kinds of things and nothing happens.

• Love 13

Meghan, the Trump children did not crash your father's funeral.

Someone approved them to attend and if you weren't the one personally reviewing the list, they didn't write down their name by themselves.

Edited by OnTime
  • Love 14

I loved the subtle shade of this episode.

Meghan: All you have to do to get me off the show is to sing the baby shark song.

Whoopi: Don't temp them.

And later

Sunny: I think we live in a culture where we reward bad behavior for ratings.

• LOL 6
  • Love 18
53 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

I haven't seen the show yet but my point still stands. This is not the first time Meghan has said something that isn't true.

She apologized sort of 🙄, for saying he admitted it.  Not what she said he did. It was "oh he didn't admit it, sorry I got it wrong." *Add in a Meghan Shrug *

Edited by Coffeewinewater
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

I haven't seen the show yet but my point still stands. This is not the first time Meghan has said something that isn't true.

And 99% of the time she has never been made to apologize for it. Usually, if anything happens at all, it's Sunny making a correction of a lie McCain told after the break while McCain is completely silent.

• Love 18
14 minutes ago, Sarah Heart said:

I didn't know ,who Billy Bush was.I thought when I heard the audio, he was part of the George W Bush family...

I also wondered why that was a recorded. I won't seek out his new show, if he's definitely getting one..

he is related.  His dad is GHW's brother.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Sarah Heart said:

Thats why they had a rebuttal, and Meghan said I'm sorry

You have a point.  I went back and checked, and Meghan did say, after Sunny read the disclaimer about Mark Halperin's denial of any unwanted physical interactions, "Okay, so he didn't admit it. I messed that up. Sorry".  But Meghan wasn't saying that she was incorrect about him exposing himself, and he hasn't been accused of that.                                                                                                 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6