Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Birthdays and Breaking Down

• Start Topic

Justin goes under the knife with nurse Kelsey at his side; Reagan and Reece are racing to the altar, forcing Jeff to face his demons; Tamica throws Sonny a surprise birthday party; Kelsey tells Justin he can't have his cake and eat it too.

Airs July 14, 2019.

I really got nothing except that Kelsey looks better with straight hair.

Reagan and Reese's wedding?  Yawn.  I'm more interested in how all of them are making out with Barry

Team Rani on the outfit.

• Love 2

I can understand Tamica's disdain over Reagan's constant wedding talk.  It's like those people who are renovating a house and they feel the need to tell you about every stinkin change, every stinkin day of the entire stinkin renovation.  It's so tiring it makes you feel like your head will explode.  Save that shit for day to day interactions,  not at someone else's special event.  And I'm saying this as someone who can't stand Tamica and her controlling know-it-all ass.

• Love 12

Justin doesn’t want to marry that nose. His kids would get it genetically and it’s one of the worst I’ve ever seen. The hair is also very severe and does her no favors. Making a hint about “marrying” while cooking with his mom sounded so desperate. Kelsey is too thirsty for a ring. It’s unbecoming. Girl, he’s just not that into you. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 12

I did enjoy the chyron "Rachel, Everybody's Friend".  And I wondered why Susan wasn't at the party.

It is striking how much more compassion this cast has in contrast with the Charleston crew.  Even as much as Reagan is a self-absorbed twit 24/7, I doubt she'd openly laugh in anyone's face for being heartbroken.  (The only one the jury's still out on is Reece...he might, but he's not main cast yet.)

RIP top layer of cake...you looked delicious. 

• Love 9
(edited)

Forgive if I am repeating old news... Is there an official medical diagnosis and hopefully prognosis on Jeff ? He seems to be more "off" by the episode...more than just drinking.. Getting kinda sad to watch

Is the reason he retired is because of what's going on mentally? Yeah - he has a superbowl ring but in the grand scheme of the NFL, he didn't play all that long.. ( not for long = NFL)

I wish they would bring in other ex-/retired- NFL players , even if in a guess spot so he could have some kind of ally..

Edited by sATL
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Crazydoxielady said:

Justin doesn’t want to marry that nose. His kids would get it genetically and it’s one of the worst I’ve ever seen. The hair is also very severe and does her no favors. Making a hint about “marrying” while cooking with his mom sounded so desperate. Kelsey is too thirsty for a ring. It’s unbecoming. Girl, he’s just not that into you. 

Kelsey  might be a victim of "giving away too much of the milk for free".

After laying up in his momma house for I don't know how long, going through the remodel,  then moving back--- and still no ring??? Forget ring- really should be hauling tail to the courthouse.

And I bet her name is no where on the house documents.

• Love 16
5 hours ago, sATL said:

I wish they would bring in other ex-/retired- NFL players , even if in a guess spot so he could have some kind of ally..

I am probably remembering wrong, but I thought their was a friend that was married to an ex-NFL player. I am not sure if it was Rachel, but I thought there was a woman last season who mentioned it.

I love Rachel more and more each episode.

I laughed at Jon Moody's tips on everything. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, sATL said:

Kelsey  might be a victim of "giving away too much of the milk for free".

After laying up in his momma house for I don't know how long, going through the remodel,  then moving back--- and still no ring??? Forget ring- really should be hauling tail to the courthouse.

And I bet her name is no where on the house documents.

Kelsey could have stepped back during that renovation while he moved in with his mother and she went elsewhere to see if he would at least propose. Now she's in living together limbo. With Tamika's voice cackling in her head and not wanting her to be right it will only make her more and more insane. 

• Love 12
6 hours ago, Lizzing said:

I did enjoy the chyron "Rachel, Everybody's Friend".  And I wondered why Susan wasn't at the party.

It is striking how much more compassion this cast has in contrast with the Charleston crew.  Even as much as Reagan is a self-absorbed twit 24/7, I doubt she'd openly laugh in anyone's face for being heartbroken.  (The only one the jury's still out on is Reece...he might, but he's not main cast yet.)

RIP top layer of cake...you looked delicious. 

I think the dynamics are different on this show because they are all connected via various longstanding relationships that existed long before the cameras arrived. To me, their interactions and drama seem more real and I've also noticed that they all seem to be quite empathetic toward one another even when they get on each other's nerves and I think it's because they're invested in one another well beyond the show.

5 hours ago, sATL said:

Forgive if I am repeating old news... Is there an official medical diagnosis and hopefully prognosis on Jeff ? He seems to be more "off" by the episode...more than just drinking.. Getting kinda sad to watch

Is the reason he retired is because of what's going on mentally? Yeah - he has a superbowl ring but in the grand scheme of the NFL, he didn't play all that long.. ( not for long = NFL)

I don't know if it was Jeff's assumption or if he had received an actual medical diagnosis but it was thought that he may be suffering lingering effects of CTE which is a degenerative brain disease that is caused by repetitive brain trauma (unfortunately quite common in footballer players especially). I don't know how much personality plays a factor but I think seeing his spiral is a combination of his brain history, drinking and dealing with personal challenges. He recently said that he's been going to a therapist and has stopped drinking which has made a huge difference for him. I don't recall if he mentioned when she started therapy and giving up booze though.

• Love 4

I liked the flashback of Kelsey’s hair being straight. She should go back to that look as it’s more flattering to her facial shape. Justin needs to propose or get off the pot. Perhaps go to see a therapist to understand why he has such difficulty making a commitment. Kelsey is getting a good edit that is making her seem like a saint of patience. I think he takes her steadfastness for granted. 

I’m glad that Jeff is getting help. I don’t care for his hair style, especially when the top mess falls to the side. I also thought his black bee neck shirt was not the right choice to wear to the Bday party. It looked too small in comparison to the black jacket. 

Reagan...you are so needy of attention. Try putting someone else’s feelings first especially at their event. It isn’t all about your wedding. I get why Tamika has zoned out. 

The party at Gris Gris looked like fun and it was well decorated. Kudos for Tomika to surprise her brother and celebrate him. 

I agree with @Lizzing that this cast is more organic than the original Charleston Southern Charm. Why don’t they ever go on trips together? It would be fun to see them out of their element. 

• Love 12

How tacky to be knocked up planning a second wedding with six+ bridesmaids.  Don't blame Tamika for being uninterested in hearing about the details.  I mean, how longer ago was her first wedding?

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I liked the flashback of Kelsey’s hair being straight. She should go back to that look as it’s more flattering to her facial shape.

Agreed.  I was shocked by how much better she looked in the flashback.  I'm also rarely one to suggest plastic surgery but she'd look so much better with a different nose.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I am probably remembering wrong, but I thought their was a friend that was married to an ex-NFL player. I am not sure if it was Rachel, but I thought there was a woman last season who mentioned it.

I love Rachel more and more each episode.

I laughed at Jon Moody's tips on everything. 

Rachel is married to an (ex?) NFL player. I'm actually a bit sad about this as I think she and Jeff would make an interesting couple. She has the right combination of "take no shit" and "love hard" that someone like Jeff needs. Her compassion for both of these doofuses (Regan and Jeff) comes through clearly on the show and feels completely genuine and organic, as opposed to some folks who try to put on those emotions to get screen time on reality tv (see every gd Hwives franchise).

• Love 10
(edited)
36 minutes ago, Rlb8031 said:

Rachel is married to an (ex?) NFL player. I'm actually a bit sad about this as I think she and Jeff would make an interesting couple. She has the right combination of "take no shit" and "love hard" that someone like Jeff needs. Her compassion for both of these doofuses (Regan and Jeff) comes through clearly on the show and feels completely genuine and organic, as opposed to some folks who try to put on those emotions to get screen time on reality tv (see every gd Hwives franchise).

Rachael's husband, Mike McKenzie, is an ex player now.  I remember seeing him in one episode because they showed his name on screen, but I can't remember which it was.  

It's possible Jeff and Mike see each other and we just don't see it.  I wouldn't recognize Mike unless they identified him with a caption.  He may be around while filming is going on and they just don't caption his name.

Edited by SoTheresThat
  • Love 2

We still have to see what more Tamika is flopping on with respect to Reagan but I already feel the situation presents itself as unfair. Reagan didn't think about Tamika when she was playing house with her boyfriend who Tamika had never met and knew little of their relationship. She didn't care to give her best friend a heads up about her engagement nor was her best friend the one she shared her baby news with first or potential baby names with within their group of friends. Tamika has been an afterthought in Reagan's life and that's fair...life happens and you can't always be around your friends the way you used to be but it's unfair to all of a sudden decide that your best friend needs to be there for all of these important dates you've made for your shotgun wedding.  

I absolutely love the supporting players to this cast. It was sweet of  Tamika to surprise her brother and it was sweet to see how surprised and appreciative he was. Rachael just gets better each time I see her.

Kelsey should straighten her hair more. It softens her features whereas her usual hairstyle doesn't really do much for her strong features. I get Kelsey's frustrations with Justin but she is partly responsible for her situation as well because she chooses to stay. I know walking away is much easier said than done but it shouldn't be ignored that Kelsey also has agency in her relationship and it's not all on Justin. It's clear that something is holding Justin back and for all of what Kelsey gives him in the relationship, it makes him appreciate her as the person in his life but it also gives his non-committal attitude any incentive to lock it down. It's a tough position for her to be in especially since Justin is well-established at this point in his life so there's really no excuse that will make sense to her as to why he's not married.

Really felt for Jeff. He’s clearly dealing with a lot and while I question whether this show is a good thing for his journey to better mental health, I do think he has a genuine self-awareness to himself and a desire to be better and so I can’t help but root for him.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, SoTheresThat said:

Rachael's husband, Mike McKenzie, is an ex player now.  I remember seeing him in one episode because they showed his name on screen, but I can't remember which it was.  

It's possible Jeff and Mike see each other and we just don't see it.  I wouldn't recognize Mike unless they identified him with a caption.  He may be around while filming is going on and they just don't caption his name.

It was the Halloween episode when they did the costumed walking tour. He shows up prominently when they previewed everyone's costumes as they were gathering.

• Love 2

I wonder if Justin’s mom is less than thrilled with Kelsey, and that’s holding Justin back - in addition to his not loving the idea of kids wth Kelsey’s nose, and just not being all that into her. lol

• Love 4

I rolled my eyes so hard when Reagan was giving a pass to the other ladies for not being at her dress fitting because they have a job or are a mom, but then is mad at Tamika for not being there like Tamika isn't both a mom and working woman. Also, why should Tamika want to spend her and her brother's birthday party talking about Reagan's shotgun wedding, when Reagan has kept Tamika away from everything regarding her life thus far? Girl, miss me with that BS. 

I really wanted Rachel to say something to Reagan when she was trying to say that they're trying to support both Jeff and her, and then Reagan went and turned it into being all about how she was such a victim of Jeff's for years and he's not her problem anymore. Didn't sound to me for a single second like Rachel was ever going to try and indicate Jeff should be her problem. Also, if Jeff isn't her problem anymore, why has she spent this season talking about how they're still friends and all that? Girl wants to have her cake and eat it too. Again, she can miss me with that BS. 

I really hope that Jeff is able to get his life together and move onto some genuine happiness. The best way he could ever get back at his ex is to get his crap together and end up in a really happy place. Reagan is so stuck on herself that it would drive her crazy, and I'm so over her that I'd enjoy every moment of it. 

• Love 17

I really hope that Jeff is able to get his life together and move onto some genuine happiness. The best way he could ever get back at his ex is to get his crap together and end up in a really happy place. Reagan is so stuck on herself that it would drive her crazy, and I'm so over her that I'd enjoy every moment of it. 

Once she has that baby and realizes it's a lot of work and she has a dick for a husband, I think Reagan will look to Jeff for .... comfort.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

Every single time Kelsey emotes, I find myself having an involuntary visceral reaction, a la Sheree Whitfield from RHoAtlanta:

7059E380-6ACE-4C8B-B37F-ED6B32AAA69D-2259-00000267FCD76221.png.f1e46d9cab88b8d5ae1a7d4fd0fc67a9.png And the worst part is, it doesn't matter what face she's making.  If her face isn't portrait-still, I literally shrink back from my TV screen.  It's not just the nose.  There is a whole upper lip/upper gums/upper teeth/chin atrocity going on there.

And what is up with the glasses?  Is she subconsciously trying to push the issue with Justin?  Someone posted last episode that, if Kelsey looked like Tamika, Justin would already be to married to Kelsey, and everyone involved knows it.  Is Kelsey wearing the most unflattering glasses ever tell Justin she accepts her looks and he'd better get used to them or move on?  Other than the weight loss, I don't see Kelsey trying with her looks.  Her clothing choices are atrocious.  There's the hair everyone mentioned and her breasts, which swing low, sweet chariots.  Why does every woman on this show, other than Tamika, have tremendous breasts that they like to force us to look at every two seconds?  It seems almost...passive-aggressive.

Rachel was actually wearing a cute black top that showed no skin at all at Tamika's birthday party, and I found her so much more attractive for it.  I like Rachel.  That was so cool of her to take "the pledge" not to drink with Jeff that night.  That's what support looks like, Real Housewives!

Does anyone feel like, after they split, Reagan got Reece, and Jeff got...Jon?  Not a bad deal.  Certainly a better deal than before.

Barry...talk to your kid about sex!  😱 Maybe the reason it's awkward is cause you waited about 15 years too long (my math isn't off; I just think parents should incorporate sex into the conversation right away).  

Justin just seems to be acting poorly.  I am disappointed in him.  He clearly has a problem with going to the next level, but instead of earnestly working on commitment issues, or turning Kelsey loose (not everyone has to commit), he tries to twist words and avoid dealing with the situation "our next step is working toward engagement."  Kelsey: "I've been with you three years and we revamped a house together."  Justin:  "Right.  That's why our next step is engagement."  Get the fuck out of here with the double-talk, Justin.

And really sweet Tamika--telling Kelsey she's good enough for Justin.  What a left-handed compliment.  I love Tamika, but how about telling Kelsey you like her, or your respect her, or anything you can muster up other than a version of, "you'll do"?  I don't particularly like Kelsey, and I would probably be merely civil to her at best, but pulling her aside at a party to say that is bordering on cruel.  

• Love 4

I don’t think Justin’s refusal to commit has anything to do with Kelsey’s looks.  I think Justin simply does not want to get married but he’s too much of a coward to actually say those words out loud. Kelsey is wasting her youth and time on him.  

• Love 13

Kelsey is way too desperate. Even if she succeeds in  pushing him into it, he is only going to resent her. I will not be surprised if she "accidentally" gets pregnant. Reagan is amazingly self absorbed, even for a BRAVO star, and that is saying something. She manages to make every event, and conversation, about her. 

• Love 9
13 hours ago, NetflixandChill said:

Also, why should Tamika want to spend her and her brother's birthday party talking about Reagan's shotgun wedding, when Reagan has kept Tamika away from everything regarding her life thus far? Girl, miss me with that BS.

I didn't mind that they were talking about the wedding in their own circle. It' not like you got to a birthday party and every conversation in the room is about the birthday person but when Tamika comes over and says 'how' it going?' and you try to bring her into the wedding talk about yourselves when it's HER birthday party, that was just stupid etiquette.

• Love 7

Meanwhile Kelsey is in the corner with her “wet look” curls, boxer squashed nose, & unfashion sense poking holes in Justin’s condoms. She’s no saint, she’s an idiot. Her voice is shrill and annoying.   Even if she gets a nose job Justin knows “the nose” will still show up on offspring. Cut her loose Justin! 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

While I'm pleased that Jeff went back to his therapist, it's just wrong to me that parts of his therapy sessions are broadcast on the show. I realize we're only seeing snippets of his session but it's beyond invasive. I know that as television is a visual medium, it's "show, not tell" but I really hope that in future episodes they just have Jeff mention that he's been seeing his therapist instead of having the audience insidd the session.

I feel badly for Kelsey but if Justin didn't include her on such a major health decision, he does not consider her a life partner. She needs to move on. 

• Love 6
On 7/15/2019 at 8:44 PM, LibertarianSlut said:

And really sweet Tamika--telling Kelsey she's good enough for Justin.  What a left-handed compliment.  I love Tamika, but how about telling Kelsey you like her, or your respect her, or anything you can muster up other than a version of, "you'll do"?  I don't particularly like Kelsey, and I would probably be merely civil to her at best, but pulling her aside at a party to say that is bordering on cruel.  

I actually thought Tamica's speech was really nice. It's clear she feels that Kelsey is just a placeholder, but she was letting Kelsey know that she has the right to demand more from Justin. That she is worthy to be his wife (even if Tamica could take her or leave her).

And apparently Kelsey took that talk to heart. She happily thanked and hugged Tamica for saying what she did. Then later got the gumption to demand more from Justin. Almost made me kind of like her. Good job Shmoo!

• Love 4

^^^

Youw know, I don't disagree with a word of your post.  I think Tamika meant it well, and Kelsey took it well.  I forget that, even if they aren't exactly bosom buddies, these two women have some history and know a bit about how to handle one another.

When I watched the scene, I just inserted myself into Kelsey's place, and I imagined if one of Mr. LibertarianSlut's friends had told me when we were dating that I was "good enough" for Mr. LibertarianSlut, I would take great offense, like friendship-ending offense, over that.  But I didn't have the same relationships with my husband's friends when I met them that Tamika and Kelsey do--they were basically just strangers to me, so it's a little different. 

I just have a really strong reaction, as I expressed last week, against the idea of grown people vetting their friends' significant others.  I feel like by the time we are ready to move out of our parents' homes, our significant other is the most important person in our lives, and friends take a backseat (they're still there, but there's a pecking order).  Right or wrong, I feel like if I am a serious girlfriend--I guess Kelsey, in this instance (why the hell do I keep making myself Kelsey??)--then I sort of get veto power over friends, but friends don't get to pass judgment on me (behind my back they can go to town), but if anyone were to say something to my face, like a catty remark, my SO and I would have to sit down and have a serious talk about whether we want to continue with this person in our lives.  It's a respect issue with me.  (I also wouldn't disrespect a friend's boyfriend or girlfriend unless I was prepared to end the friendship over it).

I dunno if this made a modicum of sense.  I guess all I am trying to say that if I take something as fighting words, but it works for the parties involved, do you, boo!  I hope Tamika and Kelsey can continue to work toward a positive place, and that Justin mans up, regardless of what that looks like (and, in case any wish-granters are reading this, I'll also take a pair of Louboutins). 😇

• Love 3
(edited)

Jeff and Kelsey’s Regan's drama is painful to watch. I literally cringe when I see their interactions. Its disturbing because I feel that I am watching a mental breakdown in real time.  Regan’s self-absorption is unbelievable.  Can you not see or have compassion that Jeff is lying trying to put on a good face when he is around you?  Show or no show, Jeff should avoid being around Regan until he can process that the relationship is over.  Its torture to have to see her pretend to be happy that she’s getting married to a literal douche that she will divorce in three years tops. 

Side note – I don’t see why people think they HAVE to get married when they get pregnant.  I get the societal and cultural pressures, but I also see the graveyard of unsuccessful marriages that end in divorce because couples get married for the child. Which is “worse” having a child out of wedlock or a divorce? IMO a divorce is way more complicated and problematic to go thru then a lil gossip about being an unwed mother.  There are so many red flags with her douche that even Stevie Wonder can see where this “marriage” is heading. 

Tamika’s mean girl persona is getting old and annoying. 

Also, is it just me that I find Jeff's running when he freaks out hilarious? What in the Forrest Gump Hell is that about??? 

Edited by NYCNJbear06
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, NYCNJbear06 said:

Also, is it just me that I find Jeff's running when he freaks out hilarious? What in the Forrest Gump Hell is that about??? 

This!!  Like, literally, when he gets upset he runs.  So weird!!

Party of one in the corner over here, I thought Kelsey looked cute in the first scenes with her hair pulled back and the glasses on.  Agree she looked better with longer, straighter hair in the flashbacks though. 

• Love 4