Type keyword(s) to search

B99 In The News

• Start Topic

Andre Braugher will take on the role of James Evans (the patriarch in Good Times, originally played by John Amos!) in the latest ABC special redoing Norman Lear Shows live, to air on December 18th. Florida Evans, James' wife, will be played by Viola Davis.

(All in the Family is again the other show with this, keeping the prior cast of Woody Harrelson, Marisa Tomei, Ellie Kemper, and Ike Bannholtz as well as new additions of Kevin Bacon, Jesse Eisenberg, and Justina Machado.)

• Love 4
14 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Andre Braugher will take on the role of James Evans (the patriarch in Good Times, originally played by John Amos!) in the latest ABC special redoing Norman Lear Shows live, to air on December 18th. Florida Evans, James' wife, will be played by Viola Davis.

Thanks for the heads up, WendyCR72!  I will be setting my DVR!

• Love 2
On 12/12/2019 at 4:38 PM, WendyCR72 said:

(All in the Family is again the other show with this, keeping the prior cast of Woody Harrelson, Marisa Tomei, Ellie Kemper, and Ike Bannholtz as well as new additions of Kevin Bacon, Jesse Eisenberg, and Justina Machado.)

Andre is a national treasure!

• Love 1

Does anyone know how much of the season was shot before everything shut down?  This show is such a necessary bright spot right now--I'd hate to think we only have a few episodes left this season.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Ailianna said:

Does anyone know how much of the season was shot before everything shut down?  This show is such a necessary bright spot right now--I'd hate to think we only have a few episodes left this season.

According to this post, B99 had completed filming.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Tara Ariano ranks the Doug Judy episodes over on the editorial side  - Brooklyn Nine-Nine's Doug Judy-sodes, Ranked: Counting down each of Craig Robinson's appearances as B99's most beloved recurring character.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine has created a number of unforgettable recurring characters: flinty Madeline Wuntch (Kyra Sedgwick); antic Adrian Pimento (Jason Mantzoukas); stoic Kevin Cozner (Marc Evan Jackson); the ruthless Vulture (Dean Winters), but none is as beloved as the one whose annual return is always accorded its own episode: Craig Robinson's Doug Judy.

• Love 2

If I Wrote a Coronavirus Episode

Captain Raymond Holt, Brooklyn Nine-Nine

“When I am not on the front lines of the pandemic with my squad, I am, of course, self-quarantining with my husband, Kevin, and our beloved dog, Cheddar the Dog. For breakfast, we have our favorite meal: unbuttered plain bagels with a side of lukewarm water. For lunch, we split a whole-wheat no-flavor Nutrition Brick (without crunch), and for dinner, we each have a portion of Kevin’s boiled rice. And for dessert, we split another portion of Kevin’s boiled rice.

Today I read Kevin’s favorite author, Faulkner, aloud to him. Then it was time for “Oboe Hour” (in which we listen to oboe music for one hour), then we did a Zumba class. Next, I read Cheddar’s favorite author, Rimbaud, aloud to him in the original French. Then I denied a request from Jake to participate in something called a “Mario Party.” After that, Kevin, Cheddar, and I learned how to build and operate an abacus (Kevin was hopeless). Then we took a stroll through the neighborhood, maintaining a distance of three meters from one another.

Now that I have reread what I just wrote, I realize that my routine hasn’t changed at all from before the pandemic. Be safe. Stay inside. Read your dog Rimbaud.” —Dan Goor

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
(edited)

It does make sense and they can't go on as usual. I hope they can come up with something that works both as a comedy and something meaningful. 

I thought Moo-Moo was good the last time they tackled the subject in a big way. Jake and Amy's panic over discussing race and Terry not being in trouble with Cagney and Lacey and then doing so was both funny. effective and true. It was especially good with Holt and Terry, two black men discussing the issue as both in character and within the wider context - Holt wants Terry to not make a fuss so he can become a captain and make a difference, as was his own mantra over the years. Then realizes he is a Captain now and in a position to help and support his Sargent. Terry saying he knows the risks but he needs to make the official complaint anyway, because the next black person the racist cop stops probably won't have a badge to save him/her and how inhuman the whole incident made him feel. 

Edited by Featherhat
spelling
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Featherhat said:

It does make sense and they can't go on as usual. I hope they can come up with something that works both as a comedy and something meaningful. 

I thought Moo-Moo was good last they tackled the subject in a big way. Jake and Amy's panic over discussing race and Terry not being in trouble with Cagney and Lacey and then doing so was both funny and true. It was especially good with Holt and Terry, two black men discussing the issue as both in character and within the wider context - Holt wants Terry to not make a fuss so he can become and captain and make a difference as was his mantra over the years. Then realizes he is a captain now and in a position to help and support his Sargent. Terry saying he knows the risks but he needs to make the official complaint anyway because the next black person the racist cop stops probably won't have a badge and how inhuman the whole incident made him feel. 

I really have a lot of faith that this show is going to handle this well.  They've proven with episodes like Moo-Moo that they can tackle difficult subjects, present multiple points of view and be true to their characters.  Terry and Holt responded to the situation in ways that were true and respectful to the characters and in doing so gave the audience a couple of different perspectives on how black men have thought about and dealt with these situations.  I'm looking forward to the show tackling this important issue in a thoughtful and thought provoking way and still managing to make us laugh.  They've done it before, they can do it again.

• Love 7

Any Jeopardy! fans here? During Alex Trebek's final week, there was a board with the categories "Brooklyn '99" and "Bing Pot," introduced without comment. So perhaps there are B99 fans among the Jeopardy! writers . . . 

• Love 5

Can't say I'm too surprised.  I figured things were going to get tough with the lockdown/COVID and the issue of police brutality coming into the forefront now, and that they might decide to end it sooner rather than later.  I certainly won't complain about getting eight seasons of this awesome show (especially since it could have been done for after five had it not been for NBC), but I will confess that I was hoping that it would at least get a ninth season that would consist of, yup, nine episodes.  NINE-NINE!

But at least they are going in with a prepared ending.  I wouldn't be surprised if the final season is similar to Parks & Rec, where there will be no real big twists and turns, and simply be a logical and heartfelt conclusion for all of the characters.  I also imagine that some of the big recurring characters will pop back up.  Hope we get Doug Judy and The Vulture!

• Love 15

Urgh, I wish shows I liked wouldn’t keep getting canceled. NBC seems to be on the verge of killing all its existing long term comedies

I’m not clear on when the show returns, this Spring or next Fall at the earliest?

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 2

Ten episodes is depressing. I know the TV landscape is very unsure at the moment, and that a show that holds cops up as heroes has to be navigating some very unstable ground, but the actors and the fans deserve a fitting send off to a sitcom that has been far more than anyone initially could have imagined.

I hope that the ending we get is low key and lacking in melodrama - no big 'the precinct is closing, we're all being reassigned' or 'Terry is leaving, Rosa is leaving, it's all going to be different' stuff. Just... give them a quiet, cosy ending that matches how warm and positive this show has been for its entire run.

• Love 19
(edited)
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

Brooklyn Nine-Nine's 10 episode season 8 will air 2 episodes back to back each week.

2 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Wow, they really are just burning it off. 

Not the first time they've run two episodes back to back during a season.  

Although I do agree with @DanaK, they're just trying to quietly bury the show.  They don't know what to do with a comedy about police.

Edited by madmax
  • Love 2

I recall there being an article quite a while ago, about the show reforming its story plans, based on wanting to deal with the police issues in the world, and not paper over them. I don't know what they decided to do, but I do remember them saying they were going to try to work more consciously with the situation and not ignore it.

• Love 2
(edited)

Aren't they giving this the post-Olympics slot?  That's pretty high profile.

Also NBC's schedule?  Doesn't shy away from police shows. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1