Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: Into the Woods

Tech billionaire Odin Reichenbach hires Holmes and Watson to investigate a personal threat he suspects originated from within his own company. Holmes and Watson search for a motive behind three seemingly unconnected murders,

Promo:

Original air date: 6/20/19

Reichenbach. Not a good sign.

Also not a good sign?  He's played by James Frain, whose name seems to always being on casting director's list when they need someone to play a character whose at least 51% evil.  Unless he's playing Sarek on Star Trek: Discovery, and then he's just a Vulcan who can't show any real emotion!  So, yeah, he's clearly going to be bad new despite his claim that they're "patriots" and doing the right thing.

Totally called the killer being the bartender, because in TV land, anyone with that kind of long, bushy beard is up to no good!  At least it wasn't Chris Diamantopoulous character, so it went against the whole "the familiar face did it!" song and dance.

Certainly liked that it all ended up at that auction, since it allowed Joan to be in that formal dress.  Lucy Liu looked stunning!

I feel like every episode should now end with Dwyer/Interim Captain just recapping the cases, and hearing is understandable bafflement over how twisted and outlandish they are.  I still love that he just seems to have accepted that this is what his life is at the moment.  He'll probably have more stories to tell about his time here than he will with his normal squad! 

• Love 16
(edited)
On 6/16/2019 at 10:40 AM, illdoc said:

Reichenbach. Not a good sign.

Good catch!

2 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Also not a good sign?  He's played by James Frain, whose name seems to always being on casting director's list when they need someone to play a character whose at least 51% evil.  Unless he's playing Sarek on Star Trek: Discovery, and then he's just a Vulcan who can't show any real emotion!  So, yeah, he's clearly going to be bad new despite his claim that they're "patriots" and doing the right thing.

Totally called the killer being the bartender, because in TV land, anyone with that kind of long, bushy beard is up to no good!  At least it wasn't Chris Diamantopoulous character, so it went against the whole "the familiar face did it!" song and dance.

Certainly liked that it all ended up at that auction, since it allowed Joan to be in that formal dress.  Lucy Liu looked stunning!

I feel like every episode should now end with Dwyer/Interim Captain just recapping the cases, and hearing is understandable bafflement over how twisted and outlandish they are.  I still love that he just seems to have accepted that this is what his life is at the moment.  He'll probably have more stories to tell about his time here than he will with his normal squad! 

Thank you to you and Shapeshifter!  I appreciate it when others name the actor.  I got a "Person of Interest" vibe from this guy, like a warped version of Finch, super rich super tech saavy.  Our duo should not underestimate him, but I wanted Sherlock to ask him if he had heard of Morland.

It was fun to see Joan all dressed up. I also like that the other woman's dress was blue. 

Really enjoying Dwyer, so glad they wrote this character this way, hope this doesn't change.

I thought the ME may have been brought back for this season but I see on imdb he came back last season. Was there any explanation or was he just there?

Agent McNally next week!

Edited by elle
  • Love 6

That rich guy's wife was talking about how jealous people are of the 1% and how hard they worked and how much they contributed to society. I was hoping that Sherlock was going to say, I see what your husband contributes to society, but what exactly do you contribute to society.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

it allowed Joan to be in that formal dress.  Lucy Liu looked stunning!

That dress was gorgeous.

James Frain always means shenanigans, which is fun as well as disappointing, because I prefer things not be so telegraphed. Also, a tech mogul? Might as well have "I'M THE VILLAIN" on his forehead. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

That rich guy's wife was talking about how jealous people are of the 1% and how hard they worked and how much they contributed to society. I was hoping that Sherlock was going to say, I see what your husband contributes to society, but what exactly do you contribute to society.

I assumed she was also a higher-up at the hedge fund? (Also what does her husband contribute to society?)

I'm sort of bummed that James Frain is in the regular opening credits now. I'd be fine with his character as recurring but I don't want this arc to dominate the COTWs -- whenever that happens the cases get really weak.

I liked the scene with the wine guy speaking on the keyboard voice thingy. The way he kept effusively thanking them for saving his life made me think he was going to turn out to be a bad guy, so I was pleasantly surprised that he was actually truly just grateful for his life!

• Love 9

I really like James Frain. He is good at playing villains and amoral characters, but it's too bad he doesn't do other kind of roles. He played a very sweet and romantic guy in the corny Natalie Portman film Where the Heart Is. 

I did find the episode ended abruptly with Odin walking away and Joan and Sherlock side-eyeing. 

The COTW was ok. Best part was the locked auction scene mostly because Lucy Liu always great in formal wear in this show and we rarely see Sherlock in a tux. I did hate Joan's checkered dress in the earlier episode.

• Love 4

Doesn't James Frain ever age? Is there a portrait of him in his attic? Did anyone notice whether Aiden Quinn's name was still in the opening credits, or has Frain replaced him as a series regular? 

By now you'd think Joan would have put a deadbolt on her bedroom door. Not that Sherlock wouldn't find a way to get around it, but she should be trying successive measures to keep him out.

• LOL 6
7 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Did anyone notice whether Aiden Quinn's name was still in the opening credits, or has Frain replaced him as a series regular? 

Aidan's still there. His name followed Frain.

7 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

By now you'd think Joan would have put a deadbolt on her bedroom door. Not that Sherlock wouldn't find a way to get around it, but she should be trying successive measures to keep him out.

I loved that scene. The way Sherlock just jumps onto the bed and Joan doesn't even move b/c, after all, it's not the first time. Not like that. Get your mind out of the gutter people. Then Sherlock telling Bell that he and Joan have been awake for hours. Hah!

As for the deadbolt, Clyde could get one of those open lickety-split. Speaking of, I'm disappointed Clyde wasn't at least consulted about Truffles' death. If an animal is going to buy the farm, then I believe an animal detective should be consulted on the case.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
12 minutes ago, Loandbehold said:

Speaking of, I'm disappointed Clyde wasn't at least consulted about Truffles' death. If an animal is going to buy the farm, then I believe an animal detective should be consulted on the case.

I like to think that Clyde is busy most of the time solving animal based cases for the animals of New York, The Great Mouse (turtle) Detective style. He had actually solved the case just a few hours before Joan and Sherlock, but it took him a little while to get to them, and by the then they had already figured it out. RIP Truffles. 

Obviously when a guy named Reichenbach calls up Sherlock Holmes, especially when played by James Frain, you know that he is up to no good. I was a bit disappointed, I was hoping he wouldn't have to be a bad guy for once, but its always good to see him anyway. So does he use his tech to try and prevent crimes from happening? It was kind of funny when he mentioned that Sherlock and Joan committed tons of crimes to solve the case, and they both looked a little called out. 

The case of the week was pretty good, even though I guessed that the guy with the beard was in on it pretty quickly. What a piece of crap he was, two people and one pig are dead, and a man is terribly injured, all for a convoluted murder plan to kill the husband of the woman he is obsessed with. 

I really liked the scene where the guy who had his jaw wired shut kept thanking Bell over and over for saving his life, it was really nice. We kind of get used to Bell, Joan, and Sherlock saving people, that its a nice reminder of the good that they do. 

I continue to really like the new captain, and his bafflement about the antics that Joan and Sherlock get up to and their bizarre cases. "Killing a mans pet just seems...mean spirited." 

• Love 9

Just to nitpick, a French 1957 wine would never be described as "French merlot". French wines are not described by grape variety but by where they come from (area, village, name of the Chateau...). It's changing recently because of the international market requirements, but a 1957 wine would not have been described as Merlot. Merlot is a grape variety mostly used in Bordeaux wines, but Bordeaux wines are often assembly wines with different varieties of grapes. /end nitpick

I enjoyed the COTW, convoluted as always, but as much as I love James Frain I'm not overly excited by the overall arc, so I'm looking towards the next episodes with a bit of skepticism. I hope I'll be proven wrong. I think last season's ending would have been a great serie finale, so this season really needs to up its game and so far I'm a little "meh".

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
43 minutes ago, Sarnia said:

Just to nitpick, a French 1957 wine would never be described as "French merlot". French wines are not described by grape variety but by where they come from (area, village, name of the Chateau...). It's changing recently because of the international market requirements, but a 1957 wine would not have been described as Merlot. Merlot is a grape variety mostly used in Bordeaux wines, but Bordeaux wines are often assembly wines with different varieties of grapes. /end nitpick

I thought about that too but kind of hand-waved it with a "eh, he's using terms a commoner would understand even though an oenophile would know otherwise"

(I know, I'm being generous.) 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I like to think that Clyde is busy most of the time solving animal based cases

Agreed.  I see Clyde as a mastermind, with legwork help from rats, squirrels, and Bear from Person of Interest.  I know the dog who played Bear died, but so did Basil Rathbone and Jeremy Brett (sniff) but their characters live on.  Bear would need a human assistant to get around NYC, so the squirrels and rats would be useful.

In the "jaw wired shut" scene, I liked that the artificial voice was probably nothing like the patient's real voice, just what the hospital happened to have.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I continue to really like the new captain, and his bafflement about the antics that Joan and Sherlock get up to and their bizarre cases. "Killing a mans pet just seems...mean spirited

In a perfect TV world the actor playing that character would show up next season on another show.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, Driad said:

In the "jaw wired shut" scene, I liked that the artificial voice was probably nothing like the patient's real voice, just what the hospital happened to have.

And how about his typing skills. He and Penelope (Criminal Minds) should meet in a competition.

Also, isn't it amazing that TV typists NEVER make a mistake?

• LOL 7
  • Love 12

Obviously when a guy named Reichenbach calls up Sherlock Holmes, especially when played by James Frain, you know that he is up to no good.

I never caught the name, just the weird company name. My first reaction to seeing James Frain in the opening credits was to presume he would be a love interest for Joan. But I hope that's not the intention here. I like that neither she nor Sherlock has ever been permanently paired up with anyone romantically and the show should end that way.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

In a perfect TV world the actor playing [the new captain] would show up next season on another show.

In a *really* perfect TV world, he would show up occasionally on future seasons of *this* show.

• Love 15
(edited)
16 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Yep, I'm going to reiterate paigow's checklist. Smarmy, arrogant, greedy.

Now they have the interim captain reciting the details for us. He doesn't deliver the lines as well as the others. Especially the requisite epilogue where they all gather around and recap everything that just happened to make sure we daft viewers aren't left scratching our heads. He rattled it off so quickly as if he was afraid he'd forget the lines before he was done. 😄 I like the character, but the actor isn't the greatest. James Frain made up for him though. He's always good in any part he plays. Always the bad guy, of course.

Edited by ferjy
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, Driad said:

I see Clyde as a mastermind, with legwork help from rats, squirrels, and Bear from Person of Interest.  I know the dog who played Bear died,

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY????!!!

I mean I understand dog lifespans intellectually, but I'm still upset to know that now! Bear.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, preeya said:

And how about his typing skills. He and Penelope (Criminal Minds) should meet in a competition.

lol I was thinking exactly the same thing. They should have strayed from the norm and had the voice read out some gibberish here and there, with Sherlock making one of his epic faces. "Oops, lost my fingers on the keyboard." Would have been even funnier if he had been typing on a smartphone with autocorrect helping. It could have been quite the colorful conversation, if TV autocorrect is anything like what I get when I'm on my cell phone.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3

My favorite scene was when Sherlock and Joan were in the kitchen talking about James Frain's character.  Joan said something about getting better acquainted with him, and then followed up with "I'm not talking about sex, if that's what you were about to say."  Sherlock looked down, chastened, and replied, "I was about to say that, actually." !!! LOL

One of the few times ever where Sherlock Holmes and Michael Scott ("The Office") were on the exact same wavelength.

• LOL 4
  • Love 8

At first I couldn't decide if James Frain was cast to be a villain or as a general tech CEO commentary.  Apparently it's both. 

21 hours ago, elle said:

I got a "Person of Interest" vibe from this guy, like a warped version of Finch, super rich super tech saavy.

That does seem to be the situation.  He is probably illegally surveilling the people who use his technology, and looking for people to act on the info.

Out of curiosity I googled pig vs. hog, and apparently a hog is a domesticated swine weighing more than 120 pounds.

I love the idea of Clyde and a group of animal irregulars solving mysteries.  Potential animated spinoff.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

I love the idea of Clyde and a group of animal irregulars solving mysteries.  Potential animated spinoff

If an animated spinoff featured Clyde, would he be in a pseudo-Sherlock role, and, if so, who would be in the Watson role? BTW, Rob Bartlett (Captain Dwyer) has done voice work in animation.

• Love 3
(edited)
12 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

I love the idea of Clyde and a group of animal irregulars solving mysteries.  Potential animated spinoff.

Wonder Pets!image.png.3252db5af442d131efe854718ff4ae4b.png

19 hours ago, preeya said:

Add Chloe from 24 as wild-card entry....

Edited by paigow
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

Ah, hell - I was hoping that James Frain would for once not be type-cast. But he seems to be pulling off a Finch (but not being quite as good with finding a decent 'help' it seems).

Some beautiful cinematography in this episode: the shot with Jane talking to Reichenbach in the park or Reichenbach welcoming Watson and Sherlock in his building - or the overhead shot of Sherlock and Watson in bed. Also: for a woman with such an extensive wardrobe Watson is surprisingly Spartan when it comes to her bed linens, she's got the same duvet covers since season one. I would like to see Sherlock's face if one day he'd waltz into an explosion of Laura Ashley.

I like it when the writing features little grace notes like having the wine seller (who was introduced as a potential villain) thanking Bell twice and also giving him a line how horrible his ordeal had been. None of that was necessary but it added depth to the scene and the character.

I find the season arc intriguing - definitely an improvement over last season's tedious Michael arc. And I continue to enjoy Captain Baffled and the casual ways Bell's competency is shown. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

I like it when the writing features little grace notes like having the wine seller (who was introduced as a potential villain) thanking Bell twice and also giving him a line how horrible his ordeal had been. None of that was necessary but it added depth to the scene and the character.

I don't know, remember the wine seller was shot before the hog, ex-bartender, and marathon runner was killed. He was in a lot of pain and had a long time to think about what his fate was going to be. It seems like every other word out of his mouth should have been "Thank You".

(edited)

The dude thanking them for saving his life made me realize how rarely we ever see a character thank anyone like that. This show points out things that I wish I'd noticed on my own. Much like Sherlock notices things about crime scenes that other people don't, the writers of the show do the same for viewers wrt TV tropes.

I also really like how many of the crimes on this show are about rich people being horrible, evil, greedy. And Sherlock constantly points out to witnesses and the audience just how corrupt the elites are. All this on a show that is not widely perceived as being "messagey" and having an axe to grind politically. It's well done. They just slip it in there. His skepticism is part of his nature, but he is very explicit about the conclusions he's drawn, not about "everyone" (like House saying everyone lies) but about "elites" specifically.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

Sherlock constantly points out to witnesses and the audience just how corrupt the elites are.

I suppose Sherlock feels it's okay for him to point out this common failing of the elites because he is one of them.

• Love 3

One thing that seemed strange to me was the tech company employee they were investigating (the one running poker games or something) who was writing paper checks and kept a paper register in his desk.  Who writes paper checks anymore?  Wouldn't a tech guy just write electronic checks, and keep the info on his own private computer at home?

• Love 4
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I suppose Sherlock feels it's okay for him to point out this common failing of the elites because he is one of them. 

I think it is more that he has been rebelling against being one of them his whole life, and feels a need to highlight it.  That particular bit of resentment against his father has never gone away, despite the reconciliation.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, ALenore said:

One thing that seemed strange to me was the tech company employee they were investigating (the one running poker games or something) who was writing paper checks and kept a paper register in his desk.  Who writes paper checks anymore?  Wouldn't a tech guy just write electronic checks, and keep the info on his own private computer at home?

Not necessarily on the first question, but definitely on the second. A tech guy would know that pretty much no matte how extensive the security measures you use, someone can usually get access somehow. And that would include his boss. Paper checks being low tech might be easier to hide from electronic prying eyes. 

• Love 6
15 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

Paper checks being low tech might be easier to hide from electronic prying eyes

I thought of that, but why keep the register in his desk at work? Your boss could search your desk at any time.   I mean, I know it was just a convenient plot point, but I would have liked it better if they'd found the register somewhere other than his office desk.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ALenore said:

I thought of that, but why keep the register in his desk at work? Your boss could search your desk at any time.   I mean, I know it was just a convenient plot point, but I would have liked it better if they'd found the register somewhere other than his office desk.

Definitely in agreement with this. I guess they didn't want Sherlock and Joan to spend an entire evening searching everyone's computers and desks only to have to break into apartments the next day to search those as well.

• Love 1
On 6/22/2019 at 5:57 AM, preeya said:

This particular gentleman's ability to type distinct words without once touching the spacebar was really quite impressive.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
On 6/21/2019 at 3:57 PM, preeya said:

5 hours ago, Mr Rampage said:

This particular gentleman's ability to type distinct words without once touching the spacebar was really quite impressive.

Fun fact: Wine merchants must be excellent typists. It's the only way to input sales during peak times.

• Love 4
(edited)
16 hours ago, Mr Rampage said:

Okay, I missed him not using thumbs/spacebar. I thought his typing was only a tiny bit OTT, and maybe that was why.
But the actor sold that he was really typing, IMO, so thanks for giving us a reason:

10 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

Fun fact: Wine merchants must be excellent typists. It's the only way to input sales during peak times.

Maybe this "fun fact" was in the script's director notes?

Edited by shapeshifter
(edited)
On 6/21/2019 at 11:37 AM, iMonrey said:

Almost every week this season they've had Sherlock wake her up, and I love it. He's so obnoxious, but it's really entertaining to see how he'll choose to wake her up each time.

On 6/21/2019 at 3:09 PM, ferjy said:

James Frain made up for him though. He's always good in any part he plays. Always the bad guy, of course.

He was fantastic (and fantastically creepy) as a villain on Orphan Black. He's great! But as soon as he came on screen, I said, "EVIL! HE'S EVIL!" LOL.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 4
On 6/21/2019 at 1:09 PM, ferjy said:

Yep, I'm going to reiterate paigow's checklist. Smarmy, arrogant, greedy.

Now they have the interim captain reciting the details for us. He doesn't deliver the lines as well as the others. Especially the requisite epilogue where they all gather around and recap everything that just happened to make sure we daft viewers aren't left scratching our heads. He rattled it off so quickly as if he was afraid he'd forget the lines before he was done. 😄 I like the character, but the actor isn't the greatest. James Frain made up for him though. He's always good in any part he plays. Always the bad guy, of course.

It sounded to me like the actors' microphones were all broken the whole episode. my volume was up all the way 

• Love 1

The dialogue was inaudible and unintelligible. I thought they were going for a connection between the victim from the marathon that worked in admissions at the prep school and the alleged threat against the teenage niece of the Mark Zuckerberg figure.  I thought that the niece attended the same prep school where the runner was working, being in the one percent and all. But I guess the show is introducing a new arc. 

Man the leaps this show makes. So they figure out the guy is trying to poison one type of wine and then google who likes this wine? And then bang they ID the right vic. Okay bc clearly no one else in NY would ever drink it.

That being said I'm enjoying the season. I watched Elementary in the beginning and then skipped some seasons, somewhere around when Kitty joined. 

Figured Frain was testing them but I wasn't sure why.

• Love 1