Type keyword(s) to search

Outlander In The Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

On 7/8/2021 at 1:05 PM, Scarlett45 said:

8 is too few episodes IMO. I think the minimum would be 10 to give the storylines a chance to breathe.

From what it said there, technically it's 8 + 16, so it could be a lot of set up. One thing I do like about the current tv landscape is you're getting more guaranteed hours of show, so TPTBs can set up an actual story rather than squeeze everything in and shove an ending in case the show isn't renewed. 

8 episodes doesn't necessarily = 8 hours either. They're not tied to time constraints. Final season aside, GOT routinely had episodes well over 60 minutes. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic

Hmmm, from the pics of Season 6 here on Page 40 and elsewhere on the 'net it looks like Richard Rankin put on some weight during the break. I almost didn't recognize him in the first picture I saw.

I wonder how early in 2022 the first episode will drop. Starz has a special right now at 6 months for $20 which would get me to the end of March, but Outlander season 6 could start the 4th week of April and still be considered "early in 2022".

Quoting from an article in Town & Country:

Matthew B. Roberts, Outlander showrunner said in a statement. “Filming in 2021 has presented an unprecedented set of challenges which led us to the decision to truncate the season in order to bring the fans the most vibrant and dynamic season as soon as possible. Dinna fash, we will then film an extended season seven with 16 episodes next year as life returns to normalcy.”

Is that the first confirmation we've heard that there WILL be a Season 7?  Either way, I'm delighted to hear the news.  I've missed this show.

Link to the article:  https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/arts-and-culture/a26888592/outlander-season-6/

Hmmmm.  Having now READ the article more closely, one of the paragraph headers says "Outlander was also renewed for a 7th season" but then the paragraph itself quotes Ronald Moore as saying "Conversations are underway on both season seven and on a spinoff."  Okay, yay about the spinoff (I hope it's about Lord John Grey since he has his own book series that they can use as source material) but that sentence suggests that season seven has NOT yet been locked in.  So I'm a bit confused.  

I hope the headline is correct and we have a nice LONG season seven in our future as well as the forthcoming, Pandemic-shortened, season six.

Edited by WatchrTina

Double posting because I've just stumbled upon a four-part Outlander "End of Summer Series" (that would be LAST summer -- 2020) that I somehow missed.  I'll post the links here (and then I will pour myself a wee dram and sit down to enjoy them.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs1_43-2XRc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ok-w4dfQvc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUXEk2qIItM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJCIIjuYqYk&t=119s

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Useful 1
19 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

Quoting from an article in Town & Country:

Is that the first confirmation we've heard that there WILL be a Season 7?  Either way, I'm delighted to hear the news.  I've missed this show.

Link to the article:  https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/arts-and-culture/a26888592/outlander-season-6/

Hmmmm.  Having now READ the article more closely, one of the paragraph headers says "Outlander was also renewed for a 7th season" but then the paragraph itself quotes Ronald Moore as saying "Conversations are underway on both season seven and on a spinoff."  Okay, yay about the spinoff (I hope it's about Lord John Grey since he has his own book series that they can use as source material) but that sentence suggests that season seven has NOT yet been locked in.  So I'm a bit confused.  

I hope the headline is correct and we have a nice LONG season seven in our future as well as the forthcoming, Pandemic-shortened, season six.

Pretty sure season 7 was confirmed before they wrapped filming season 6.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

that sentence suggests that season seven has NOT yet been locked in.  So I'm a bit confused.  

Season 7 was confirmed in March 2021.  Beware spoilers in these links.

Then, in June, this article said Season 7 will be extended, with 16 episodes instead of the usual, previously announced 12.  I'm glad too!

Edited by Camera One
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Today I finally got around to watching the episode of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert in which this year's People Magazine's Sexiest Man Alive was announced.  Alas, it was not Sam, it was Paul Rudd.  But that reminded me that I had not actually READ the edition of People Magazine with Paul on the cover and, hey, a magazine full of sexy men is a nice way to kick off the morning.  

So who did I spy with my little eye on page 71?  Sam Heughan -- who is included in a group of sexy men selected by reader polls.  I must have missed that poll (shame on me -- I've been known to campaign for Sam in online polls ye ken) but even without my contribution Sam won "Sexiest Foreign Accent."  His delivery of the word "Sassenach" was specifically mentioned.

Sigh.  Remember that?  Remember during season 1 when the show runners would publish video clips of the show's Gaelic coach teaching the viewers various Gaelic words, but when he tried to teach us the word "Sassenach", Sam interrupted the clip and taught us how to say it himself?  With that sexy purr of his?  Remember that?  Ah, good times, good times.

So . . . where was I?  Oh yeah, Sam got a shout-out in People's "Sexiest Man Alive" issue.  Yay!

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

Today I finally got around to watching the episode of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert in which this year's People Magazine's Sexiest Man Alive was announced.  Alas, it was not Sam, it was Paul Rudd.  But that reminded me that I had not actually READ the edition of People Magazine with Paul on the cover and, hey, a magazine full of sexy men is a nice way to kick off the morning.  So who did I spy with my little eye on page 71?  Sam Heughan -- who is included in a group of sexy men selected by reader polls.  I must have missed that poll (shame on me -- I've been known to campaign for Sam in online polls ye ken) but even without my contribution Sam won "Sexiest Foreign Accent."  His delivery of the word "Sassenach" was specifically mentioned.

Sigh.  Remember that?  Remember during season 1 when the show runners would publish video clips of the show's Gaelic coach teaching the viewers various Gaelic words, but when he tried to teach us the word "Sassenach", Sam interrupted the clip and taught up how to say it himself?  With that sexy purr of his?  Remember that?  Ah, good times, good times.

So . . . where was I?  Oh yeah, Sam got a shout-out in People's "Sexiest Man Alive" issue.  Yay!

Same for me.  I follow a lot of Outlander related accounts on Twitter and never heard about it either!!!  And I read a lot of fans complaining about it being Paul, no one mentioned Sam’s shout-out.  

Edited by Beeyago
19 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

Publication day is TOMORROW!!! (Tuesday, November 23, 2021). 

Mine downloaded to my Kindle at midnight.  It was so exciting to wake up and see the alert in app that a new book was there.  Excited to start on it tonight.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SassAndSnacks said:

Mine downloaded to my Kindle at midnight.

I bought the Kindle version too.  Unfortunately I was all set to pay for it with American Express reward points (I have a bunch accumulated and using them to pay for Amazon purchases is an easy way for me to use them up) but, alas, the system would not let me do that.  My diagnosis is that Amazon knows they have us over a barrel when it comes to e-books.  We have no choice but to purchase e-books from Amazon if we use a Kindle reader so they won't accept AMEX Reward Points for those purchases.  They will only let you use those points to purchase things that can also be obtained from other vendors.  That way they only steal business from their competitors.  I can see the logic but that doesn't make me resent Amazon any less.  Now I wish I'd gone to my local independent bookstore and bought a hardback copy from them.

Oh well.  It's water under the bridge now.  Happy reading everyone!

Oh, and since this is ACTUALLY the "Outlander in the Media" thread (and not the WatchrTina bitching about her misadventures trying to purchase the e-book thread) here's a link to a story on today's book release.

https://parade.com/1195939/paulettecohn/new-outlander-book-go-tell-the-bees-that-i-am-gone/

On 11/26/2021 at 2:53 PM, nodorothyparker said:

Season 6 opening credits. I'll be honest that I think this is maybe the least appealing of all the versions they've done. 

Maybe they'll change it part-way through the season.  They've done that before.

• Love 1

This season is reportedly only 8 episodes. The showrunners have only changed up the theme before when there was a major change of scene, which given how heavily they borrowed from the sixth book for last season, I'm honestly not even sure what they've got left or what they're planning for this shortened season. 

YMMV of course, but this version of the theme sounds very poppy to my ear. 

• Useful 2
On 11/20/2021 at 10:43 AM, WatchrTina said:

Sigh.  Remember that?  Remember during season 1 when the show runners would publish video clips of the show's Gaelic coach teaching the viewers various Gaelic words, but when he tried to teach us the word "Sassenach", Sam interrupted the clip and taught us how to say it himself?  With that sexy purr of his?  Remember that?  Ah, good times, good times.

I took that clip of Sam saying Sassenach and made it my text notification on my phone lol! Still there all of these years later. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I'm cross-posting this link to an article in ELLE because it talks about Caitriona's work on Outlander.  (I also posted the link in the "Escaping the Stones:  The Cast in Other Roles" discussion board because it talks about Caitriona's recent movie, "Belfast.")

https://www.elle.com/culture/movies-tv/a38505083/caitriona-balfe-belfast-outlander-season-6-interview/?fbclid=IwAR26RvZwgTtzAMJxfU1AactWYGdwZptnXp3TMGnKhjrI8fovwCzUN9QhlFo

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2

Here's a link to a lovely interview with Sam Heughan available on SquareMile.com -- conducted by his good friend and fellow actor Tom Ellis.  

Diana just posted the link to it on her Facebook feed, so I'm posting it here for those who don't follow her on Facebook.

https://squaremile.com/features/sam-heughan-interview-outlander-tom-ellis/?fbclid=IwAR2EnIBprkPYxnxHTUuzpRTRcEszGbiRFcN7vBykniDcJ57vc0OfxYZnIIY

Edited by WatchrTina
On 1/7/2022 at 3:57 PM, theschnauzers said:

We now have an exact premiere date for season 6 on Sunday, March 6th.

note to me. catch up

(i said this before. but i'll remember now LOL

Entertainment Weekly has announced (via Twitter) that Barack Obama, Oprah, and Sam Heughan are "among the finalists for this years's Audie Awards," which are awards given for notable audiobooks.  

ETA:  Found the link to the actual article:

https://ew.com/books/2022-audie-awards-finalists/?utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly_entertainmentweekly&utm_content=manual&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_term=61fbe02517ce5a0001660a99

The nomination is for: Clanlands: Whisky, Warfare, and a Scottish Adventure Like No Other       

Written and narrated by Sam Heughan and Graham McTavish (with a foreword written and narrated by Diana Gabaldon)        

Published by Hodder & Stoughton

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

Caitriona posted a video on Twitter of her chowing down on a Reuben sandwich (apparently Jimmy Kimmel encouraged her to try one because she says "Thank you Jimmy") and NOW I am craving a Reuben sandwich so much it hurts.  And since I now live in Texas and not NYC, that is a craving that is going to go unsatisfied.  Sigh.  That corner deli that was mere steps away from my old NYC apartment building . . . I am SO missing it now.

• Love 1
(edited)

Aaaaaaand here's a video that Sam posted on Twitter with "friend" the journalist Josh Horowitz.

Never mind.  Once again I can't remember how to embed a tweet.  Just go look for it on Sam's Twitter feed.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • LOL 1
On 3/5/2022 at 10:37 PM, WatchrTina said:

Aaaaaaand here's a video that Sam posted on Twitter with "friend" the journalist Josh Horowitz.

Never mind.  Once again I can't remember how to embed a tweet.  Just go look for it on Sam's Twitter feed.

Why do we say "friend" like that?

On 3/16/2022 at 8:44 AM, FnkyChkn34 said:

Why do we say "friend" like that?

It's been a while but my recollection is that Josh and Sam ARE friends but they pretend to not be when Josh interviews Sam -- pretending instead to be slightly hostile toward one another.  I don't recall when it started but it's all in good fun (as far as I can tell.)

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

It's been a while but my recollection is that Josh and Sam ARE friends but they pretend to not be when Josh interviews Sam -- pretending instead to be slightly hostile toward one another.  I don't recall when it started but it's all in good fun (as far as I can tell.)

That's how Sam and Steven (Cree)(Ian!)) are like. I remember the videos that Steven would upload on Twitter.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, WatchrTina said:

Ha!  I get it, thanks! 

I meant to post earlier that John Bell (Ian) had a run in London of the solo show "The Night Larry Kramer Kissed Me," by David Drake. (I know David and I said: so Young Ian is playing Young David, huh? ANd he laughed).

And here is the YouTube trailer:

Edited by kwnyc