Type keyword(s) to search

Outlander In The Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, toolazy said:

Here's a link to the AV Club's recap/review.  It contains spoilers so beware

https://tv.avclub.com/outlander-s-alchemy-remains-spectacular-in-its-hotly-an-1830211151

Quote from the article that I thought was important- especially to anyone who questions Claire choosing Jamie either of the times she did:

"But Jamie reassures her, reminds her that even though he felt like he died after he lost her the first time, he never stopped loving her. Outlander never leaves any room for doubt as to why Claire would go through such great lengths to be with Jamie, why she would give up a modern life and everything she knew just for more time with him. This show’s depiction of love and romance is so thorough and powerful that even in its most convoluted plot moments, the central couple keeps the show ablaze."

• Love 1

Sam was just on the Jimmy Fallon show and he did a great job (IMHO).  It was short and sweet but he hit all the points I'm sure he wanted to make:

• Promoting the return of the show (including mentioning the pick-up for season's 5 and 6),
  • Promoting his charity, My Peak Challenge,
  • Promoting the Omaze fund-raiser where the prize is a date with Sam,
  • Showing a clip from season 4, and
  • Mentioning that he leaves tomorrow to begin work on a film.

Also he looked HOT.  Well done Sam.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

Sam was just on the Jimmy Fallon show and he did a great job (IMHO).  It was short and sweet but he hit all the points I'm sure he wanted to make:

• Promoting the return of the show (including mentioning the pick-up for season's 5 and 6),
  • Promoting his charity, My Peak Challenge,
  • Promoting the Omaze fund-raiser where the prize is a date with Sam,
  • Showing a clip from season 4, and
  • Mentioning that he leaves tomorrow to begin work on a film.

Also he looked HOT.  Well done Sam.

I like him with the dark hair-I think it's better than the natural dirty blonde!

• Love 1

So my favorite fashion/pop culture bloggers recap this show.  Here are links to the recaps for the first two episodes of the season

https://www.gofugyourself.com/outlander-the-ballad-of-the-dread-pirate-bonnet-11-2018

https://www.gofugyourself.com/outlander-the-ballad-of-river-run-11-2018#comments

But beware - the writer is not deeply versed in the minutia of the show nor has she read the books.  If you can set aside whatever tendency you might have to take the show really seriously, you will enjoy them because they are hilarious. It's actually refreshing to get a fresh viewpoint on the material.  I occasionally bristle when she gets some fact or other wrong, but that's my problem, not the writer's. 

That said, the recap of the last episode is thoughtful and smart.

• Love 4

Interesting email this morning... I use the website Goodreads and they occasionally send out emails from authors when they have new books coming out. This is only ever very big name authors, because I'm sure that costs a lot as a marketing/advertising method.

Anyway, this morning I had one from Diana. At first I thought it was going to be an announcement of the new book's release date, but no. It was a letter written by Diana about why the story moves to the Americas in this part of the show story. It starts, "Dear [Petunia846], "But why didn’t the story stay in Scotland?!?” is a cry I’m used to hearing. “I loved Scotland! All the fighting and the tartans and the swords…” Well, yeah. Who doesn’t?"

It then explained about how the Scotland we came to love dies after Culloden and it's not the same there and the Scots moved on to the colonies and all the stuff that we as fans loved about the first few seasons will be in the new season in the Americas, so don't worry, keep watching, stick with the show. It has a promo photo from the show and on the bottom it has Tune into Outlander on Starz...blah blah blah.

So...I guess they're targeting book readers who might not like this part? I don't get these emails unless I've marked on Goodreads that I've read a book by that author or plan to read one, so theoretically, non-book readers wouldn't get this. I just found it interesting as a marketing strategy for the show, and interesting that they felt the need to do that. I've never gotten an email like that for any other season. Are they worried about something?

Based upon what you've said about this message going to book readers, I don't understand the logic since book readers know where the story goes and, apparently, love it anyway. If the story took a totally different path, I think these very people would be up in arms!

Yeah, either someone didn't quite understand how the email would work, or they're aiming for that very tiny sliver of people who watch the show, use Goodreads, and either haven't read the later books or just have the books marked as to-read but haven't read them yet. Oh well. Shrug.

Edited by Petunia846
12 hours ago, Nidratime said:

Based upon what you've said about this message going to book readers, I don't understand the logic since book readers know where the story goes and, apparently, love it anyway. If the story took a totally different path, I think these very people would be up in arms!

11 hours ago, Petunia846 said:

Yeah, either someone didn't quite understand how the email would work, or they're aiming for that very tiny sliver of people who watch the show, use Goodreads, and either haven't read the later books or just have the books marked as to-read but haven't read them yet. Oh well. Shrug.

I agree it’s odd all around. Because it’s the people (not necessarily here), who aren’t familiar with the entire source material, who are criticizing Gabaldon for not having Jamie and Claire go back to Scotland and she just made ridiculous stuff up because she ran out of story to tell.

• Love 1

I agree it’s odd all around. Because it’s the people (not necessarily here), who aren’t familiar with the entire source material, who are criticizing Gabaldon for not having Jamie and Claire go back to Scotland and she just made ridiculous stuff up because she ran out of story to tell.

Which is ridiculous -- squared -- because this is history. This is the history of the Scottish diaspora after Culloden!

• Love 6

Did we know this? (I found this sentence, with an accompanying video about the man's work, at the end of this review. How interesting and I can see Sam in him.)

That terrific stag that was burned at the Scottish festival was created by Sam Heughan’s uncle, Trevor Leat! Here’s a short video about his artistry.

https://www.threeifbyspace.net/2018/11/outlander-ep-403-review-the-false-bride-and-the-measure-of-a-man/

• Love 2

Okay, this is hilarious. In reviewing episode 4.04, this was said:

Important: Ian's Life Continues to Be Tragic

Please join me in a prayer for Normal-Aged Ian, a sweet and gentle man who always has a positive attitude and seems happy but is clearly suffering on the inside. Need convincing? This poor soul's life literally consists of dealing with Claire and Jamie's constant threat of public love-making, stepping in poop, being a third wheel, knitting, and sleeping with a dog. That's all!

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/film-tv/a25298104/outlander-season-4-episode-4-recap-review/

• Love 3

Well I got my copy of Entertainment Weekly's "Best of 2018" issue and the good news is that Sam & Cait (as Jamie & Claire) are included in the montage of faces on the cover.  But I could not find a single mention of them or the show in the pages of the magazine itself, which is odd.  Did anyone else see any mention of the show IN the magazine? 

I guess this means the magazine just wanted to generally acknowledge the continued popularity of the show but didn't have anything specific to say about it this year.  Oh well -- being on the cover is nice (I guess.)

Edited by WatchrTina

Win a trip to be Sam's date at a gala in Scotland  Win a trip to Scotland and be Sam's date at a gala!

YOU AND A FRIEND WILL:

• Be Sam Heughan’s date for the My Peak Challenge gala (May4-5, 2019) and get to know/ken Outlander’s Jamie Fraser in real life
  • Ride with Sam in a horse-drawn carriage, warm up with a whisky tasting (if you want!) and sit together at the gala 
  • Join in on other gala events, like a personal training session with Sam’s trainer and a scenic hike in the Scottish countryside 
  • Get flown out to Scotland and put up in a 4-star hotel (no time travel necessary)

What you'll do
Don’t be afraid, there’s the two of you now. You and Sam Heughan. And you’re going on an incredible, pinch-me-I’m-dreaming date in Scotland! But you’re not dreaming. In fact you’ve never felt more awake, because the man who plays Jamie Fraser knows how to treat a date and tonight you’re his Sassenach. Sam’s going to pick you up in a horse-drawn carriage and whisk you away to a gorgeous Scotland castle, where you’ll get to know each other over fine whisky (or the drink of your choice) and intimate conversation. After a wee dram or two, Sam will take you… into the ballroom for the annual My Peak Challenge gala to celebrate the night away together. You’ll wake up the next morning with one thought in your head: Claire, who? Flights and hotel included.

Who you'll help:
Founded by Sam Heughan, My Peak Challenge is a global movement dedicated to educating and inspiring its members to live healthier, happier and more balanced lives while raising funds to change lives. Your generosity will go toward My Peak Challenge’s chosen charities for 2018: Bloodwise and Marie Curie. Bloodwise works to beat blood cancer and support those living with it, while Marie Curie provides hands-on care to terminally ill patients and their families.

Deadline to Enter:
January 17, 2019 at 11:59pm PT

Winner Announced:
On or around February 1, 2019

Winners must not be residents of Belgium, Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Italy, North Korea, Singapore, Sudan, Syria or Thailand.

If you donate $2,500 you will receive an autographed Outlander script for S1.E1

• Love 1

I don't know where the best place is to put this but I'm going to guess that this is appropriate.  Diana posted a link on Facebook to another great Outlander video by Julia LeBlanc.  For those of you who don't Facebook, here ya go.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 3

Here's a link to a NPR story talking about how scenes from Outlander could be used in sex ed classes to teach young men the notion of consent -- using TV!Jamie's careful habit of checking in with his partner before acting on his urges.  

https://www.wbur.org/commonhealth/2018/12/21/outlander-consent-sex-ed-romance?fbclid=IwAR3ZEA1ca5xz2nv0pNtQnE9xkn6HqRj5fJiDxwO3TiYxM0pB36Hn6kqlGww

I just hope those teachers using footage from the Jame-Geneva bedroom scene take the time to clarify that Jamie is actually a victim of statutory rape in that scene because he's a prisoner being blackmailed into a sexual act.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2

Here's an interview with Sophie Skelton in Vainity Fair.  It's primarily about the episode that just aired and how Sophie prepared for the depiction of sexual assault, but I will confess I stopped reading because it made an oblique reference to an episode we have not seen yet.  As such, consider yourself warned that there may be some spoilers in this.

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/film-tv/a25645505/sophie-skelton-outlander-season-4-episode-8-wilmington-interview/

Edited by WatchrTina
20 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

OMG, Outlander got a shout out on The Simpsons.  Sam tweeted it.

Do I detect some shade here?  It sounds like they're implying that it takes more than half the season before the show is even any good.

I don't think that was a compliment.

What I thought of when I heard the "eight episodes in" comment was that episode eight of Season 1 was the one after the wedding where Claire is captured by the British soldiers and thus begins the cliffhanger hiatus.  I remember those lonnng months before we got episode nine.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Clawdette said:

What I thought of when I heard the "eight episodes in" comment was that episode eight of Season 1 was the one after the wedding where Claire is captured by the British soldiers and thus begins the cliffhanger hiatus.  I remember those lonnng months before we got episode nine.

The original Droughtlander.

Diana posted this article (in the Hollywood Reporter) on Facebook.  It (alas) confirms that Outlander will not be back until 2020 but I think we knew that already, right?

In it STARZ talks about Outlander as if it views it as its flagship show.  That's a good thing for us!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/starz-chief-explains-cablers-premium-female-push-1227421?fbclid=IwAR3PYgw5rJRxEFwmJ1EunD8lrayg317Qfb4U_wLPrVfDlh07-3Qz1xmKU2U

33 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

Diana posted this article (in the Hollywood Reporter) on Facebook.  It (alas) confirms that Outlander will not be back until 2020 but I think we knew that already, right?

In it STARZ talks about Outlander as if it views it as its flagship show.  That's a good thing for us!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/starz-chief-explains-cablers-premium-female-push-1227421?fbclid=IwAR3PYgw5rJRxEFwmJ1EunD8lrayg317Qfb4U_wLPrVfDlh07-3Qz1xmKU2U

And with the marathons currently airing, I thought, THOUGHT that it 'twas only a matter of weeks until I we saw Jamie on my our screens! See below my reaction to this news posted in the Scheduling thread:

On 7/27/2019 at 5:30 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Still...

8073F9A4-B8C1-4852-821F-5BB1F483691D.gif

Because I was getting psyched for September when this would premiere!!!!😭😭😭🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

On 7/27/2019 at 2:16 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

4E8E54E2-B699-4C50-BEFA-2C7400BF39B8.gif