Type keyword(s) to search

Outlander In The Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

I thought the article was saying that Power was its flagship show. Leaving that aside Diana and fans took issue with the "premium female" comment.

So what's "premium women"?

A little older — probably 24-54 and a little more economically viable than other segments, in terms of broadcast. They really like high scripted drama, great women in history and a lot of IP. You look at the audience for Outlander and that's the perfect audience for us. We've done a lot of research around that and figured out that women are twice as likely to buy apps that are under $10; they're more loyal; they're lifetime value on a digital side is much longer. Whether we were smart enough to figure that out or we backed into it, we've seen it and are now leaning into it in a big way.

That term is just…

For a long time I was calling it "female-centric," but we're not trying to be Lifetime. We're not trying to put programming on that is at the exclusion of men. A lot of the couples who watch Outlander, the woman finds it and she brings her spouse to watch it. We do have a large male universe of viewers, but if it doesn't serve that female audience, it's not for us.

(edited)

I have to agree with Herself’s take on STARZ CEO Hirsch’s ill-thought out comments. I have watched a number of Starz’s Original series, not because they were female centric but because they were intelligent historical series, and then there’s Outlander’s sci-fi bent.

Besides Outlander, that includes Spartacus (the three series plus the prequel), The White Queen, the White Princess, Black Sails, the Spanish Princess. Maybe he needs to redefine his terms, because that is not how I’d define female centric. His comments just piss me off.

Edited by theschnauzers
(edited)
20 hours ago, Nidratime said:

A lot of the couples who watch Outlander, the woman finds it and she brings her spouse to watch it.

This would be true of every man I know who watches/likes it. To be clear I am not defending his comments, just saying he is right about this aspect.

Edited by Cdh20
adding a thought
  • Love 1
On 8/29/2019 at 3:24 PM, theschnauzers said:

We have a premiere date for season 5:

https://tvline.com/2019/08/29/outlander-season-5-premiere-date-starz/

Edited Thursday at 03:24 PM by theschnauzers

Now that Sweetbitter and The Rook have completed their runs there's nothing on Starz that I watch, so I think I'll cancel my Starz subscription until next Feb and save myself a few bucks. And I was really looking forward to Outlander this fall...

• Love 1

Everybody loves Outlander.

Oh never mind.  I was trying to insert a link to a tweet by Lin-Manuel Miranda wherein he makes reference to Outlander.  But apparently the manner of inserting tweets here has changed since the last time I did it and I can't figure out how to do it now.  How frustrating.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Outlander is up for a People's Choice award as the Best Bingeworthy Show.  That's it -- not "Best Show" or "Best Drama" or any nominations for our cast.  So that's kind of lame.

But what the heck . . . lets win this one.  You have 25 votes per day and you can cast them all at one time for one show using a slider.  Here's the link.

https://pca.eonline.com/tv/the-bingeworthy-show-of-2019

Edited by WatchrTina

Not sure what this is about:

Matthew B Roberts @TheMattBRoberts
Since I missed #NYCC2019 I have a question for @Writer_DG — I know you’re working hard on Book 9 but have you found time to do anything else (say between 10 & 12)?

Diana Gabaldon @Writer_DG
What, you mean.....《drumroll》....like Ep 511? Why, yes...I think I -did- manage to squeeze that in, now you mention it...

Outlander TV News @OutlanderTVNews
Replying to @Writer_DG
Will you be going to set to supervise/produce?

Oh, here's the answer:

Edited by Nidratime
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

Well, shoot.  It looks like Comcast is dumping Starz, so I'll have to watch Outlander on my computer. 😡

Well I’m in the Xfinity store returning an extra box I don’t need and they tell me they’re dropping Cinemax, not Starz. Or is it the  COMCAST in your area? Does each state carry what it wants to carry??

The Outlander FB pages have been on fire with this Xfinity business.   I believe it is a done deal...someone received notice on their Oct. bill that Starz and Starz Encore channels (total of 11 channels) were being dropped from premium pkgs and bundles (along with a several other channels).  Epix  (think it's 4 or 5 channels) will replace Starz beginning Dec. 10.  Starz will now be an add-on for an additional $12/month.  My Xfinity bill is ridiculously high and now I'll have fewer channels for the same amount of $$.  Do they really think customers are going to happily pay more?  I'm glad I have Amazon Prime and Hulu.  Both offer Starz as an add-on for $8.99/month.    

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Haleth said:

https://www.fiercevideo.com/cable/comcast-replaces-starz-epix-xfinity-tv-premium-packages

This makes it sound like a done deal but some other media imply that it's still being negotiated.

Huh. I’m going to have to talk to Xfinity, as Starz is part of the bundle I’m paying for. Like, I couldn’t remove it to save money if I wanted to. It isn’t an add-on, like HBO was. But as @sas616 states, once my bundle package contract expires next year, I’ll just add it from Amazon Prime via my fire stick. Xfinity SUCKS. First removing TCM and lumping into their sports package, now this.🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

5 hours ago, sas616 said:

I’m glad I have Amazon Prime and Hulu.  Both offer Starz as an add-on for $8.99/month.  

Ok. Now I’m confused. Right now if I want Starz (the one that shows Outlander) I have to subscribe for $12/mo.  That’s how it’s always been. (There are other Starz channels that are free.). So I’ll still be able to get it?  This doesn’t sound like anything different for me. However, I do have Prime so I can always subscribe thru that, but it will be on my tiny monitor instead of my big honkin’ tv. 

Edited by Haleth

Huh? I've always paid extra for STARZ via Comcast. If this is the case, I'll just drop all of Comcast's premium channels and watch the show via Amazon Prime. (If it's available in the U.S. that way and not just in the U.K.)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Nidratime said:

Huh? I've always paid extra for STARZ via Comcast. If this is the case, I'll just drop all of Comcast's premium channels and watch the show via Amazon Prime. (If it's available in the U.S. that way and not just in the U.K.)

I got a special bundle “introductory” promo when I wanted to cut back on the price. The bundle includes all premium channels except for HBO-that I had to add on. But I didn’t know when I did that, that when they dropped WGN and WE, that I couldn’t keep those/be grandfathered in because my new package was a sort of “downgrade” or some such nonsense.

AHEM. Topic? So if I understand now, it’s not that Xfinity is dropping Starz completely, they’re just not including them in bundle packages? Stupid stupid stupid. I have Prime, am a member, so can watch via my Blu-ray on my teevee. And now that I have a fire stick, I can watch it from there.

On 10/19/2019 at 6:11 PM, Haleth said:

Ok. Now I’m confused. Right now if I want Starz (the one that shows Outlander) I have to subscribe for $12/mo.  That’s how it’s always been. (There are other Starz channels that are free.). So I’ll still be able to get it?  This doesn’t sound like anything different for me. However, I do have Prime so I can always subscribe thru that, but it will be on my tiny monitor instead of my big honkin’ tv. 

Are you sure you can't watch it on your television? I thought most TVs these days were connected to the internet.  

13 hours ago, toolazy said:

Are you sure you can't watch it on your television? I thought most TVs these days were connected to the internet.  

Just as an FYI, I regularly watch Netflix shows on my big TV by calling up Netflix on my laptop and then feeding the show from my laptop to my TV via an HDMI cable.  Every TV is different of course, but I think most currently-sold TVs have multiple input slots for HDMI cables, even if the the TV isn't directly connected to the internet.

1 hour ago, WatchrTina said:

Just as an FYI, I regularly watch Netflix shows on my big TV by calling up Netflix on my laptop and then feeding the show from my laptop to my TV via an HDMI cable.  Every TV is different of course, but I think most currently-sold TVs have multiple input slots for HDMI cables, even if the the TV isn't directly connected to the internet.

We did that last summer.  We wanted to watch Netflix, but the hotel tv wouldn't allow us to connect to the internet.  So we connected a laptop instead.  I hadn't tried it before, but the picture was fabulous!

I didn't know where else to put this - but i finally caught up the 2 seasons I was behind, lol so it would be great to chat up with you guys regarding season five when it starts (if i'm able to do so lol). it's crazy i was more than 2 years behind! eeep.

I am though very excited to see Tobias in the Crown. 

On 11/5/2019 at 6:29 AM, Daisy said:

I didn't know where else to put this - but i finally caught up the 2 seasons I was behind, lol so it would be great to chat up with you guys regarding season five when it starts (if i'm able to do so lol). it's crazy i was more than 2 years behind! eeep.

I am though very excited to see Tobias in the Crown. 

Just curious- Did you prefer  watching week to week & discussing it ? Or binging & not chatting here about it? 

On 11/7/2019 at 9:27 PM, Cdh20 said:

Just curious- Did you prefer  watching week to week & discussing it ? Or binging & not chatting here about it? 

sorry for the delay. 
ideally i'd love to watch week to week but the provider stopped offering starz so i had t wait for it to be on Netflix, that's why i was so behind. 

4 hours ago, Daisy said:

sorry for the delay. 
ideally i'd love to watch week to week but the provider stopped offering starz so i had t wait for it to be on Netflix, that's why i was so behind. 

Thanks for answering! I think I liked bingeing better, but then you have to wait!!UGH!

Sam was a guest on Jimmy Fallon this week.  Yay for the publicity.  Yay for him having an opportunity to promote Outlander and his upcoming role in the movie, Bloodshot.  Jimmy also speculated that Sam could be the next Bond, so that was nice.

But mon dieu! . . . the suit he was wearing.  It was too tight in the arms and the legs and the crotch was too low and it made me cringe. Maybe I just don't understand men's fashion these days.

Oh well, he still looked very handsome and was charming and they showed a clip from the next season of Outlander so . . . yay.  I guess.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

Annnd we have our first look at season 5 opening credits.

I'm hoping I'll get used to it, but right now, I'm not a fan.  All of the previous versions felt very fitting for the time and location of that season.  Is this "accurate" for pre-American Revolution in the colonies?

7 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Wow, that's the first Outlander opening credits I don't like. The trailer looks good though.

Absolutely!  Thank you for focusing on the positive.  Only 6 more weeks!!!  Wow, I can't believe it's so close!

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 1:20 PM, Ziggy said:

I'm hoping I'll get used to it, but right now, I'm not a fan.  All of the previous versions felt very fitting for the time and location of that season.  Is this "accurate" for pre-American Revolution in the colonies?

I can't point to anything specific, but this does "feel" like early American music.  And I trust these guys to have researched the music.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, mary2013 said:

I can't point to anything specific, but this does "feel" like early American music.  And I trust these guys to have researched the music.

It reminds me of church music (but not my style of church music).  I guess it just feels like a stark contrast to the other season.

But I need to stop being negative and just relax and allow myself to get used to it.  It will probably grow on me.

• Love 1
On 1/6/2020 at 1:00 PM, Ziggy said:

It reminds me of church music (but not my style of church music).  I guess it just feels like a stark contrast to the other season.

But I need to stop being negative and just relax and allow myself to get used to it.  It will probably grow on me.

Maybe once we see the season, it will make sense but for now I am extremely perplexed.  There are all kinds of interesting early American ways they could have gone but choral music? I'm not seeing it.  

Edit: Is someone other than Bear McCreary doing the music now?

Another edit: No, he's credited on IMDB.  I want to know his rationale for the change before I judge it harshly.

Edited by toolazy
  • Love 1